PDA

View Full Version : Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition is out.

Cainen
2010-07-15, 03:37 PM
In the form of DC Adventures Hero's Handbook.

Long story short: It's more a properly-done Pathfinder to M&M 2E than it is a truly new edition. Read up on it before buying, but it's worth it if you enjoyed M&M 2E's core.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-15, 03:50 PM
I must admit that I'm utterly fascinated by this turn of events, but the real question remains unasked:

Will they update Freedom City and Paragons to Third Edition?

Cainen
2010-07-15, 04:03 PM
No idea whether they'll detail the DC setting more in lieu of an update or do both. I don't keep tabs on the superhero half of M&M because that's not what I use it for.

Beleriphon
2010-07-29, 11:17 PM
I must admit that I'm utterly fascinated by this turn of events, but the real question remains unasked:

Will they update Freedom City and Paragons to Third Edition?

Very, very likely. The softcover Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition will be out some time towards the end of the year. DC Adventures uses the same rules as M&M3, but M&M3 isn't out yet. It will be identical to DCA, in softcover, without the DC specific stuff included.

Paragons, maybe, but Freedom City is almost guaranteed. The only thing that stands to be seen is what Steven Kenson and Green Ronin have come up with for the metaplot.

Tengu_temp
2010-07-29, 11:28 PM
Some things got streamlined, some things got simplified, some things got balanced. It's an evolution, not a revolution. Better than core M&M 2e, but I'll stick to second edition for now, because it's simply better known and more widely available. And because of the mecha rules in Mecha and Manga.

Beleriphon
2010-07-29, 11:39 PM
Some things got streamlined, some things got simplified, some things got balanced. It's an evolution, not a revolution. Better than core M&M 2e, but I'll stick to second edition for now, because it's simply better known and more widely available. And because of the mecha rules in Mecha and Manga.

I'm liking it so far, and plan on getting the other three DCA books. Which is awesome, since this is really what I've wanted from a game. It is really quite awesome.

Bharg
2010-07-30, 05:42 AM
*goes down on his knees" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just bought second ed... Is it that good?

Theo Hammond
2010-07-30, 08:32 AM
*goes down on his knees" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just bought second ed... Is it that good?

My group certainly thinks so. There are a few broken powers (invisibility, some god awful area-of-effect acid melty thing! And magic is a bit too easy for PCs to spawn loads of pwers from) that , but then there always are and will be in a super-powers system. Overall its mechanics and innate balancing system work very well, high or low level.

I hadn't heard about a 3rd ed though - are there any major differences?

Beleriphon
2010-08-02, 01:37 PM
My group certainly thinks so. There are a few broken powers (invisibility, some god awful area-of-effect acid melty thing! And magic is a bit too easy for PCs to spawn loads of pwers from) that , but then there always are and will be in a super-powers system. Overall its mechanics and innate balancing system work very well, high or low level.

I hadn't heard about a 3rd ed though - are there any major differences?

Yep, there are 8 stats not 6 (fighting and agility are extra, and new) some things have been renamed, the powers get shuffled around into "effects", meaning that you create a "power" by picking what it can do, and adding it up. Thus Hal Jordan's power ring isn't a device with other powers, its a collection of effects that is the Power Ring power.

There are other things as well, for example all characters can use things like Power Attack for +2/-2 for free now, but you need the advantage (read Feat) to use the full effect.

Quismat
2011-01-06, 07:39 PM
To be fair, the powers system was effects-based and modular in 2nd edition too. The issue is that it also had "container" power structures (like devices and alternate forms) which could pull some truly ridiculous stuff (like the second character I made, which accidentally ended up as my pick each round of 6 different stat-blocks, each with nearly 5/3 as many pp as the other heroes).

If what you're saying is that the container power structures don't exist as such any more, that might be for the best.

averagejoe
2011-01-07, 12:07 AM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.