PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, Eberron] heal and profession (healer) skills

SillySymphonies
2010-07-15, 03:52 PM
In D&D 3.5's ECS the skill profession (healer) is apparently a character option (ECS, p26).

My character for an upcoming Eberron campaign is going to be a half-elf house Jorasco-sanctioned doctor. Not content with my character being no better at healing than a character who merely knows first aid, I took both the heal and profession (healer) skills for my character. However, both my DM and myself are at a loss how to differentiate between the two skills.

I requested if I could use the profession (healer) skill to direct a team of nurses and give them bonuses to their heal checks (I'll be playing the chief medical officer aboard an airship and I might get some nurse NPCs to assist me). My DM mentioned that such a use of a healing skill exists in 40K roleplay, and he might allow me to do this if I can find similar rules for d20.

So are there rules for a profession (healer) or profession (doctor) skill in any iteration of the d20 system?

Note: I know the optimisation-fu on this board is pretty high. I'm not requesting answers like: 'Use the skill points for profession (healer) for a real skill like use magic device instead.' I'm taking both the heal and profession (healer) skills no matter what. Thank you.

oxybe
2010-07-15, 04:37 PM
In D&D 3.5's ECS the skill profession (healer) is apparently a character option (ECS, p26).

My character for an upcoming Eberron campaign is going to be a half-elf house Jorasco-sanctioned doctor. Not content with my character being no better at healing than a character who merely knows first aid, I took both the heal and profession (healer) skills for my character. However, both my DM and myself are at a loss how to differentiate between the two skills.

I requested if I could use the profession (healer) skill to direct a team of nurses and give them bonuses to their heal checks (I'll be playing the chief medical officer aboard an airship and I might get some nurse NPCs to assist me). My DM mentioned that such a use of a healing skill exists in 40K roleplay, and I might allow me to do this if I can find similar rules for d20.

So are there rules for a profession (healer) or profession (doctor) skill in any iteration of the d20 system?

Note: I know the optimisation-fu on this board is pretty high. I'm not requesting answers like: 'Use the skill points for profession (healer) for a real skill like use magic device instead.' I'm taking both the heal and profession (healer) skills no matter what. Thank you.

regretfully the profession skills only really work to give you GP and don't go into more detail other "you can do the job". if you want a mechanical backing for giving out a mass "aid another" profession isn't it.

other then looking at the bard class for a mass generic "help people do stuff" bonus

you may want to look at the marshal (a class found in the miniature's handbook or online for free (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b)). the marshal has an "aura" he can activate that is gives his charisma bonus as a circumstance bonus to nearby allies by directing them.

a marshal with the "motivate wisdom" aura and a team of healers can add his Charisma to their heal (which is wisdom based) checks.

while the marshal has profession (any) on his class lists, among other diplomacy skills type for a medic, heal is a cross class skill for him.