PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Is there any feat that allows you to treat 1 skill as a class skill?

gooddragon1
2010-07-15, 11:35 PM
Just like the title says.
Is there any feat that allows you to treat 1 skill as a class skill?

Reason: Psychic warriors don't get psicraft as a class skill. I'd like to treat it as a class skill for the purpose of getting maximum ranks in it. Race is elan.

dextercorvia
2010-07-15, 11:37 PM
There is one in the variants part of the SRD, but I don't think it was intended to be used with the regular skill system. There are some apprentice feats in the DMG II, you can customize your mentor to grant the right skills, if you work with your DM.

Edit: The first feat is called Skill Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge).

gooddragon1
2010-07-15, 11:44 PM
There is one in the variants part of the SRD, but I don't think it was intended to be used with the regular skill system. There are some apprentice feats in the DMG II, you can customize your mentor to grant the right skills, if you work with your DM.

Edit: The first feat is called Skill Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge).

Thx. I'm trying to make a psychic warrior|monk gestalt for the neverending dungeon and I want psicraft to be a class skill but it isn't for psychic warriors normally.

Kylarra
2010-07-15, 11:47 PM
I'd avoid making it gestalt with monk when you can use tashalatora to stack your psywar levels with your monk levels for unarmed progression and such.

Actually since it's gestalt, what you should do is just take a psionic prestige class that grants psicraft.

dextercorvia
2010-07-15, 11:47 PM
Then, I would probably just dip Psion on the Monk side.

gooddragon1
2010-07-15, 11:48 PM
I'd avoid making it gestalt with monk when you can use tashalatora to stack your psywar levels with your monk levels for unarmed progression and such.

Actually since it's gestalt, what you should do is just take a psionic prestige class that grants psicraft.

I don't have the book for that. I also dislike multiclassing. A lot. Though I do see potential I guess... I'll look for something that would do it i guess.

Kylarra
2010-07-15, 11:52 PM
You're barely scoring any benefits from gestalting psywar with monk. It'd be decent in a non-gestalt game, but you've got way too much overlap. If you really had to combine the two, gestalt psion with monk and take carmendine monk/kung-fu genius to key your monk AC off INT instead.

dextercorvia
2010-07-15, 11:52 PM
What are you trying to achieve with your build, then? If you don't want to multiclass, I wouldn't gestalt Monk with PsiWar anyway. You aren't gaining enough from your second side. d8, 3/4 BAB, etc. are all the same. You want a pair of classes that synergize well, but also complement each other.

gooddragon1
2010-07-15, 11:53 PM
I just want a nice, simple character entirely out of the SRD. I think I'll dip a level in psionic fist.

dextercorvia
2010-07-15, 11:58 PM
Then, even without Carmendine, you are probably better off Monk//Psion (Don't lose HP, BAB or Saves, gain a ton of PP, and Powers relative to the PsyWar) All you lose is some bonus feats, and you can pick the right flavor of Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) to make up for a lot of that.

Talbot
2010-07-15, 11:58 PM
Able Learner gets you halfway there, depending on how many ranks you want to throw in it. The skill is still cross class, but it only costs one point per rank.

gooddragon1
2010-07-15, 11:59 PM
Then, even without Carmendine, you are probably better off Monk//Psion (Don't lose HP, BAB or Saves, gain a ton of PP, and Powers relative to the PsyWar) All you lose is some bonus feats, and you can pick the right flavor of Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) to make up for a lot of that.

But I want to only raise one ability: Wisdom.

@ above poster: Only reason for wanting psicraft is earlier access to epic manifesting feat which requires 24 psicraft ranks.

Suddenly considering the idea of a psion... it's interesting...

Kylarra
2010-07-16, 12:03 AM
Just take Slayer or something partway through your gestalt then. :smallsigh:

gooddragon1
2010-07-16, 12:05 AM
Just take Slayer or something partway through your gestalt then. :smallsigh:

I'm sorry for not being cooperative... I just want the simple life :smallfrown:

I like the psion|monk idea. I'll take that. Thank you dextercorvia. The only problem is that I won't really be raising int.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-16, 12:08 AM
what level is this game starting at?

dextercorvia
2010-07-16, 12:09 AM
But I want to only raise one ability: Wisdom.

@ above poster: Only reason for wanting psicraft is earlier access to epic manifesting feat which requires 24 psicraft ranks.

Suddenly considering the idea of a psion... it's interesting...

If you only raise Wisdom, your monk will not be very good at all. Wisdom isn't very necessary for either a Monk or a PsyWar. With either class, you plan to hit stuff, so you are likely to need Strength, and then Con, because you are standing next to the bad guy. But with Monk, you can't wear armor, which means splitting the rest between Dex and Wis. If Monk got Wis to attack (and maybe even to damage) it could be a different story. Most truly SAD characters are full casters/manifesters.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-16, 02:22 AM
If going Monk/Psion, I would recommend the Ascetic Psion feat (Secrets of Sarlona, pg. 115).

become psionically focus as a standard action without provoking AoOs
may use Int instead of Wis for AC
levels in both classes stack to determine AC
free multiclassing between them

but you would need the Narrow Mind feat to qualify

////////////////////////////////

Another good feat to make a skill into a class skill is the Martial Study feat in Tome of Battle (pg. 31) assuming you want one of the key skills associated with one of the given disciplines. Plus you get a manuver out of it.

PId6
2010-07-16, 02:46 AM
Thx. I'm trying to make a psychic warrior|monk gestalt for the neverending dungeon and I want psicraft to be a class skill but it isn't for psychic warriors normally.
If you mean this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153950) Neverending Dungeon... most people don't survive past 1st level there, and retraining is allowed regardless. The last time I checked, the highest level characters there were ~6th level, so... yeah, I wouldn't worry about epic if I were you.

Thurbane
2010-07-16, 02:55 AM
I found this thread very useful: alternative ways to get new class skills (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0)

2010-07-16, 06:56 AM
I know of two feats; Able Learner, which has already been mentioned, and Chaotic Mind from a Dragon Magazine, which lets you always consider two skills of your choice to be class skills and gives you a +1 untyped bonus to both of them.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-16, 06:59 AM
Just trade it. Fluff some reason for him not to be able to Ride, like how he was formally trained by a psion master but didn't care much and would rather kick ass.