PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get Insightful Strike without taking Levels of Swashbuckler?

Talbot
2010-07-16, 02:58 AM
I'm planning an Unarmed Swordsage with really high Int, and I'd love to tag that high Int onto every blow... but I'd really rather not burn three levels on Swashbuckler if I can avoid it.

PId6
2010-07-16, 03:26 AM
See X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). For Int to damage, your only real options are Eternal Blade 1 (good, but limited), Factotum 1 (very limited; need lots of feats to use on a regular basis), and Swashbuckler 3. Eternal Blade is awesome to take if you happen to be an elf; otherwise... probably not happening. You can get Int to attack/damage indirectly with the Knowledge Devotion feat though, but that's based on Knowledge checks rather than Int itself.

But since you have maneuvers, you don't actually need Int to damage; your damage should be quite high enough using just maneuvers.

Talbot
2010-07-16, 03:40 AM
I'm pretty sure I want to be human, though now I'm looking at the idea of a Swordsage 16/ Swashbuckler 3/ something else awesome with a base attack of +1 1, with the Kung Fu Genius feat (close enough to Monk for my DM, hopefully), and an emphasis on Int and Dex, with Con probably third. Worth noting is that I'm planning to take Vow of Poverty at first level, so nothing evil/weapon dependent please.

Watchers
2010-07-16, 03:41 AM
Are you fixed on Int/Dex, or would Wis/Dex also work? Because getting Wis to attack is much easier.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 03:43 AM
Warblade 7 also gets you Int to damage, but that's a significant investment in another class compared to Swashbuckler 3. The other option I would consider is grabbing something with Control Body and just target yourself to get Int to most everything, but it costs you some both in cash and in use.

Watchers
2010-07-16, 03:46 AM
Warblade 7 also gets you Int to damage, but that's a significant investment in another class compared to Swashbuckler 3.

It's also a much weaker version.

Pechvarry
2010-07-16, 04:05 AM
Swordsage 16/ Swashbuckler 3/ something else 2nd

This build has 2 class features called Insightful Strike (and you'll have the Swordsage version twice!) as well as being capable of picking up a maneuver called Insightful Strike.

This is the best thing since my Paladin (Holy Warrior ACF)/Ordained Champion (Holy Warrior class feature) with the Holy Warrior feat -- all 3 instances printed in the same book.

Talbot
2010-07-16, 04:06 AM
Are you fixed on Int/Dex, or would Wis/Dex also work? Because getting Wis to attack is much easier.

I love skillpoints so much it's unhealthy. And since I'm planning to take Knowledge Devotion (and possibly Keen Intellect if I can squeeze it in and the DM doesn't mind)...

Watchers
2010-07-16, 04:14 AM
That would make Int more desirable.

Boci
2010-07-16, 08:02 AM
I love skillpoints so much it's unhealthy. And since I'm planning to take Knowledge Devotion (and possibly Keen Intellect if I can squeeze it in and the DM doesn't mind)...

Keen intellect is from Oritental Adventures right?