PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Palace of Zahadran IC

Pages : [1] 2

Pink
2010-07-16, 03:46 AM
The grand pavilion of Emir Sha Abbas is no common tent, but a veritable palace court beneath a silken dome. The court is crowded with fierce desert warriors, beautiful veiled serving women, cunning merchants and all manner of supplicants from around the world. This crowd parts like the waters that are so rare in the desert nation, when the young man who brought your invitation and accompanied you here announces in a voice that carries over and penetrates through the loud din of of conversation, that the Wanderers, and here he lists a small list of known accomplishments, ending with the most recent title of Heroes of Threndor, have arrived to dine with the Emir.
A dim of whispers, veiled stares and looks of admiration or suspicion roll through the room. As the way clears for you, you can see a huge table that for a second you could almost swear is long enough to seat a hundred people, is laid out near to the ground with pillows and cushions set at intervals. Many of these seats seem to already be taken, however you're guided to the far end of the table.
There you see sitting at the head of the table is a man wearing a turban of gold and silver cloth with an enormous ruby above his forehead, smiling at you as he smokes from a pipe that connects to some strange contraption that seems to mostly be some vase filled with water with similar pipe-tubes coming out of it. He wears a vest and a richly embroidered cloak, however his chest and arms are otherwise bare, showing toned muscle underneath tanned brown skin. The Emir of Shadhalia, blowing out a cloud of blue smoke, motions to the empty cushions to his left and right, and says to you, "Please, I implore you to give me the honour of your company at my humble table. The feast waits to be served until my honoured guests are relaxed and at their leisure."

Simba
2010-07-16, 04:08 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin keeps his eyes wide open throughout the whole procession through the tents, looking for potential dangers in the most subtle way he can manage. His steps easy and lithe, his movements those of a predator, he seems relaxed, but that is only on the outside.

When they draw close to the Emir's tent the tention only his friends could see flows out of him as he accepts that this is, indeed, no trap. He can almost feel the others' smiles at his behaviour.

When they reach the Emir's table he falls back behind the others, leaving it to them to make the right noises at the right times.

Magicyop
2010-07-16, 07:55 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus marvels at the richness of the tent, drinking in every detail of the splendor around him. Inside, he is rejoicing, wondering if this could be their most influential or best rewarded job yet. However, he keeps his face calm, with only a slight smile brushing his lips. As he reaches the end of the table opposite from the Emir, (making sure that the Emir can see him, however, because of his height) he bows deeply, and says, "Emir, the honour is ours. We were delighted and flattered to be invited here today." As he listens for a response, he walks over to the chair directly to the Emir's right.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-16, 02:01 PM
Valathiël

Val nods approvingly at the beautiful displays of opulence--and allows himself a pleased glance or two at the beautiful serving women--though he nevertheless takes a protective position beside Lorkus and the other casters.

The elven knight himself is outfitted in a decorative yet functional suit of gleaming silver platemail, helmet under arm, with a rich forest-green cloak offset by a ruby medallion, which is engraved with a ghostly feminine face that's wreathed in fire-red hair, not unlike Val's own. He doesn't seem at all put off by the heat. By far the most striking and oddest thing about him though is the tiny ball of white light that floats just above his head, occasionally uttering distant whispers in Elven.

"Remember, do not eat with your left hand here, and NEVER offer your left hand in greeting to anyone here," the light says when they reach the pavilion, but the knight shushes it.

Val bows his head to the emir in deference and seconds Lorkus' appreciative statement. "Indeed. Many thanks and prayers of thanksgiving for the famed hospitality of your court, Emir Sha Abbas." He takes his place at the middle cushion but doesn't seat himself until the others have.

Val would have cast Endure Elements on himself for the day, so no troubles with his armor in the desert.

Simba
2010-07-17, 03:44 AM
Ellenin

Following Valathiël's example, Ellenin bows respectfully to the Emir, then choses a place next to the elven knight and sits down when the others do.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-17, 06:17 AM
Liana

Liana bows respectfully as the Emir greets them, her companion flying lazily in the air above.

"It is a great honour to meet you sir" she says simply as she seats herself on a cushion, making sure there's at least one male body between her and the Emir (just in case).

Pink
2010-07-21, 04:16 PM
As you take your seats, the Emir claps his hands and the rest of the guests move to their seats as well, while a procession of servants appear, each bearing either a plate filled with savoury foods, spiced dishes, and fresh vegetables, or a tray with a number of goblets filled with wines, ales, liquors or most luxurious of all, iced water. The plates are set upon the table, and the goblets offered first to the Emir's table, he taking a goblet both of wine and cool water.

"Please, the honour is mine, to be able to give hospitality to the great Wanderers, so soon after stories just begin to reach us about your deeds in Threndor. To have the five here who together, with no other aid, was able to hold off a army of two thousand orcs at their royal palace, while the crown prince escaped, is an honour that we will remember well. May I enquire as to what brings you thus to my humble lands?"

Magicyop
2010-07-22, 04:39 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus eyes the delicious looking food, then says, "Oh, but you flatter us, sir. We only do what any decent people would. We simply decided to take some time to visit your grand city. Tales are told of it across the world."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-07-22, 05:56 PM
After having seated himself on the first available cushion, N'kar smiles and nods his thanks for the seat in the shade. He's been told on more than one occasion that it's best not to inflict his particular brand of "etiquette" on civilized people, but that's never stoped him before, so why should it now? Eh. Wasn't that difficult, really. Everybody knows that one good Dwarf is worth his weight in Orcs. He gives no outward sign that the heat is bothering him, other than the sweat which rolls off his face, and his eyeing of the water jug. The others aren't that bad in a fight either, he adds absentmindedly, as he whipes his forehead with a bit of the table cloth.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-23, 12:02 AM
Valathiël

"If you keep sweating like that, Master Dwarf, there won't be much of you left to weigh," said Val with a wry smile, taking N'Kar's bait as usual, causing his Blade Guide to grumble a bit. The knight gladly samples the wine and vegetables, adding with a nod to the Emir that, "Although there's no worry of that happening today with a generous feast like this."

"But yes as Lorkus said, after that messy business we felt it was time for a much-needed break. And what better place for that than the most hospitable City of Tents?"

Pink
2010-07-23, 12:47 AM
"And I hope you have been well received by the city thus far. The Emir says after a small drink. "However, it may interest you, though I hope not to bore your ears, that my lands have not been at peace lately. There is rumor that to the west in the deep desert, something-" and here the Emir is cut off by a commotion at the far end of the table.

A loud noise is heard at the entrance of the pavilion as an old man with fierce devotion in his eyes and sun-burnt features forces his way into an audience with the Emir. He is helped along by a servant, as it is obviously his priestly robes are stained with blood, and he gives a groan of pain each step he takes with one leg, a leg who's foot does not show a healthy colour. It is amazing that the man is still alive, yet he moves resolutely forward. Around the pavilion the name Masjed-al-Talba is spoken in hushed tones at the sight of the cleric. As he reaches the front of the table where you sit with the Emir, though you can see some signs of fever and exhaustion in his gaze, his voice is solid and coherent, if raspy and dry. “Seven days I have walked in the desert,” he whispers. “Seven nights I have walked from the sight of the coming of that which we have been watchful for a thousand years or more. Azi Dahaka, the storm daeva of unmaking, the harbinger of darkness is rampaging in the deep desert as we waste precious time lounging amidst opulence.” He glares into the eyes of the privileged nobles and merchants in the pavilion daring any to contradict him. Then he looks right at each of you. “I have need of heroes this day, men of legend willing to stand as Ahura Mazda did and brave the vile minions of Angra Mainyu, and put back in the bottle that which has been loosed.”

These words said, he wavers for a moment on the supporting shoulder of the servant, before collapsing, eyes rolling into the back of his head.

Magicyop
2010-07-23, 04:03 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus stands abruptly, as if he intends to catch the old man, but as he is too far away, he makes no move toward him. After a moment of silence, he speaks. "Who among you knew him? Who was Masjed-al-Talba?" The halfling grimaces at the tragedy.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-24, 05:28 AM
Liana

Like a lightning stroke Liana is knelt next to the collapsed man, her hands glowing pale yellow as she uttered a stunted prayer to Pelor and laid one on the man's forehead and another on his chest.

((Assuming he wakes up or at least looks at ease.))

"Keep him out of direct sun and take him somewhere less crowded. Are there any others with him?"

-------------------
Cure Light Wounds on Masjed-al-Talba.

If he doesn't look better I'll use another spell.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-24, 11:40 AM
Val

The knight also rose from his seat intending to help the fallen prophet but Liana was faster. Val offers a short prayer to the Taker asking that She not claim the poor man yet, before turning back to the Emir and asking, "And, perhaps more importantly, who or what is this Azi Dahaka?"

He tries searching his own mind for any recollection he might have of "the storm daeva of unmaking."

I'm using either the Cloistered Cleric's Lore ability (+2) or, if applicable, Knowledge: Religion (+17). [roll0]

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-07-24, 12:57 PM
N'kar

Sounds to me like he's someone who needs to get his arse kicked. As his eyes dart to Lorkus he hurriedly adds If you don't mind my sain' so, y'iness. as he dips his head in difference, looking not unlike something being cooked alive; hot and uncomfortable.

Pink
2010-07-24, 01:34 PM
The Emir, shocked for a moment, begins to call out for a healer before Liana put herself to the task. "He is well known. He's one of the few remaining priests of the old gods of this land. I pray lady Liana, do all that is within your power to make him well again. He was one of my tutors when I was a boy, and I had hoped he would last long enough to teach my own son of the history and ancient culture of this land. If he departs this world, much departs with him." the ruler says solemnly.

A couple men and women in white clothing trimmed in gold appear and attend to Masjed-al-Talba. He seems to have gained an amount of consciousness from the healing spell, but more than his wounds seem to effect him at the moment. He has a terrible fever, he shows signs of extreme dehydration and starvation, and his leg gives off a smell usually found in a rotting corpse. As he is carefully loaded onto a stretcher by the other healers, he continues to gasp out, "Stop Azi Dahaka. Seal the daeva of Angra Mainyu."

"Attend him well, let him have all that is desired even if it must be snatched from the table in front of me or the use of my own bed." he sternly orders the healers as they begin to take the wearied priest away.

Liana's question upon the crowd commands some of the guards at hand to move outside and into the city, but an initial response was that the priest arrived alone.

Answering Val's question, the Emir furrows his brow in concentration for a moment. "Alas, perhaps here is part of my studies I do not remember well. I believe some sort've blue demon of the storms. However I would pay no heed to this. It rather supports what I was about to say to you earlier, and I'm afraid the trauma and his own knowledge and belief in old mythes may have clouded poor Masjed. That rumour I spoke of, twas of a blue dragon that supposedly recently resurfaced in the heart of the deep desert. We have not yet had a survivor to confirm, but several caravans have been lost while travelling across the route over the past month, and the remains have been few, but have shown signs of such an attack. With this I am now certain, and would offer you a purse of ten thousand gold pieces, as well as full rights to whatever you find within it's horde, to, ahem," here the Emir pauses and give a small wink to N'kar, "kick his arse, as it were, and bring me it's head."

Val:
You recall that Azi Dahaka is some sort of demon creature associated with the ancient gods of the desert of Shadhalia. The storm demon is supposedly the leader of the armies of the god of destruction Angra Mainyu. However it is an old religion, local to the country, and you can recall little more than that.

Magicyop
2010-07-24, 02:42 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus glances at the Emir, then says, "Excuse us, for a moment, sir. We must discuss."

He gathers the other Wanderers close to him, and mumbles, "I think we should take the job. If it's nothing, we'll be ten thousand gold richer, but if it's something..." He grins. "Then we would help out these people, who may be in great danger, and learn quite a lot." After finishing, he glances over at Masjed-al-Talba. "But I think we should stay with him for now. He's the one who's in trouble right this moment, and he could have more to tell us, vital information."

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-24, 03:12 PM
Liana

"Well I have a few more tricks to try before I'd be comfortable leaving him to the care of others, so I have no problem there. And whether it's a dragon or a daeva this thing sounds dangerous; I suppose with the welcome we were given here we can hardly back down, can we."

Magicyop
2010-07-24, 05:31 PM
Lorkus
"No, we really can't. The Emir has been nothing but hospitable to us, and anything powerful enough to endanger the city of tents could cause massive changes in the world, and probably not for the better."

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-25, 12:53 AM
Val

"Absolutely. Once again fate has placed us exactly where we're needed. Though it's just as well that we wait a day or so for Masjed-al-Talba to recover, I should like to be prepared for the deep desert and, like you said, have better information. A dragon is one thing, a demon or dragon leading the minions of a god of destruction is another thing entirely."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-07-25, 12:54 PM
N'kar

As I said b'fore, it sounds like somethin' we should take care of, pay or no pay. Though pay does sound nice, he sais as a grin breaks out accross his hideos visage. An' o' course yer both right; we should try t' help this priest an' we should certainly take time to prepare fer tha deep desert, he continues, with a nod to Liana and Val. As fer me, I'm gonna begin those preperations with more of tha delicious food an' cold water! He finishes with gustow, as he turns back to the table to avail himself of the Emir's hospitality.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-25, 01:03 PM
Liana

"You realise I can summon 30 gallons of ice water with a flick of the wrist, right?" says Liana as she turns to the Emir.

"I am sorry, but I must attend to my duties. Thank you for the generous table you had laid, I'm sure my friends will more than make up for my absence." With that she bows with a smile and exits to follow after the priest.

Simba
2010-07-26, 01:01 AM
Ellenin

"We should help these nice people, my friends, no question. We should start out soon, too, less more folk suffer from this threat."

Magicyop
2010-07-26, 05:28 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus turns around to face the Emir. "Sir, I believe we have decided to help you. However, we feel we must attend by Masjed-al-Talba until he makes a full recovery, so that we can be assured not only of his safety, but of what he knows of what we face. With your permission, we would follow Liana to your medical tent."

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-26, 10:25 PM
Val

"Water isn't the sole concern, but thank you," he replies under his breath before also turning to the Emir.

"Indeed, it seems the feast is sadly broken, so I also ask your pardon, my lord, for taking my leave to prepare for the coming journey. Fresh camels must be set aside and outfitted, and I should like to have a guide or two who are at home in this desert to show us the route we should take."

((By the way, he'll be praying for his spells at dusk from here on out so whenever that rolls around I'll be repicking spells.))

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-04, 05:40 AM
Liana

The healer will follow the priest's thrail in the sand and offer her services, depending on what they tell her is wrong with him.

-------------
Heal: [roll0]......:smallannoyed:...:smallmad:.....
....:smallfurious: (Good thing I have a mahoosive modifier).
Heal: Take 20 for 46 for general mundane overnight care in between spells etc.

Magicyop
2010-08-04, 01:51 PM
Lorkus

"Sir, if all goes well, we hope to speak with you more in the medical tent tomorrow morning. We thank you graciously for your hospitality and generosity."

-- Assuming the Emir gives a nod of approval or something --

Lorkus walks out of the tent, and immediately lifts off the ground, his cloak rippling behind him. He shows no qualms about demonstrating his arcane prowess, as he knows he can defend himself adequately against any threat which might present itself in this city. "Liana!" he calls, looking around for the healer. He follows any signs that he can see of the train of people with Masjed-al-talba to reach the medical tent.

Simba
2010-08-05, 02:09 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin waits for the Emir to give his permission before following the others to the healers' tent.

"Thank you for your hospitality, but duty calls."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-08-05, 03:31 PM
N'kar

Shoving one last fist-full of delacacies into his mouth N'kar swallows hard, having barely chewed, and stands quickly. Guess I aughtta folla them, he says with a respectful bow to the Emir and one last longing glance at all the food. Heaving a long suffering sigh he follows Ellenin.

Simba
2010-08-11, 06:33 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin heads for the healers' tent, following those who started before him closely. Once there he stays outside but keeps an eye on the door and his surroundings.

Pink
2010-08-11, 04:19 PM
"Please, feel no need to be hindered by my hospitality, go, tend to Masjed-al-Talba and perhaps learn more that may aid you in ridding this beast from the desert. May you always have water where you rest and shade over your travels, for this great deed you do for us."

At the request of a guide, the Emir furrows his brow in thought. "It will be difficult to find one who will risk the journey with you, especially now that the danger is confirmed. I will put the task upon myself to find one who can guide you true. Camels however, shall be no problem. We shall meet again tomorrow."

There is a gasp as Lorkus demonstrates his use of magic for something as mundane as leaving a tent, and soon the party is following the stretcher and the white-clad healers into a large tent, cloth shielding it heavily from the sun to create a surprisingly cool zone.

In responce to Liana's offer of aid, the healer's reply, "He is quite exhausted, however some rest and food will soon aid in recovering that. What troubles him now is an infection of the wound in his leg. Already the flesh begins to rot and causes his body to be wracked with fever. We must remove the leg before he can recover from that. However he is quite old, it may be a difficulty to survive the operation." as they begin to bring out an assortment of metal object, many looking like cutting instruments, and they call out for a servant to begin boiling large portions of water.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-11, 04:57 PM
Liana

"Before that I would like to try my hand if you don't mind."

Assuming they agree Liana will offer a prayer to Pelor and lay her hands over the wound.

----------
Let's start with Cleanse Disease. If that doesn't work I'll try Cleanse Poison. If we still need more I'll throw in a Heal spell.

If none of that works I guess I'm regrowing his damn leg after they cut it off.

Pink
2010-08-11, 05:31 PM
((You can scratch off a Remove disease and a Heal, and that'll be sufficient to remove the disease part and heal the dying flesh part of it.))

The healers stand back in awe as the healing power of Pelor is channelled through the elf and into the body of the old priest. As the sweat upon his brow ceases to build, a glowing light pulses through his damaged leg. When it fades, it appears healthy, showing none of the black oozing flesh that had once been there, and the man himself looks almost a picture of health, instead of the battered, worn creature that had crashed the Emir's banquet. The old priest himself can do little more for the moment then stare in awe at his restored limb. "Truly, Ahura Mazda has provided for the people in their time of need." He says as he looks from Liana to the rest of you.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-11, 05:40 PM
Know (Religion): [roll0] to find out who that is.
And it was the Cleanse Disease class feature, just in case that comes back to bite me (as things tend to do when I play good guys).

Pink
2010-08-11, 05:51 PM
Liana:
You recall that Ahura Mazda is the god of creation of the ancient gods of the desert of Shadhalia and is the opposite to Angra Mainyu. However it is an old religion, local to the country, and you can recall little more than that.

Magicyop
2010-08-12, 08:07 AM
Lorkus

After a moment, a grin breaks over Lorkus' face. "Rejoice!" he cries. "She's done it again, and he'll be alright!" He rises in the air slightly to clap Liana on the back in congratulations, then lands fully on the ground. He then turns to Masjed-al-Talba, and says, "Sir, can you remember what happened to you? How were you injured?"

Pink
2010-08-12, 10:40 AM
"What happened? Sir, you ask a man to recall a the greatest terror of his life too lightly. However the need is dire that I persevere in telling you. One week ago a caravan of merchants crossing the desert were annihilated save myself, Masjed-al-Talba, a humble servant of a long forgotten god, Ahura Mazda. As we were travelling across the desert, the sands shuddered and rippled, like a large body of water in a storm. The cursed beast burst forth from the sands and I was thrown onto the ground. I watched in horror as my travelling companions were utterly destroyed by a thing of legend, a harbinger of unmaking. I fled the carnage to bring a warning to the world and muster what help I could to stop Azi Dahaka." he says. Though still healthy, a paleness comes over the man as he recalls the events, as though half reliving the traumatic experience.

Simba
2010-08-12, 10:47 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin remains outside the tent, but listens to the story intently.
"A huge monster, burrowing through the sand, devouring caravans?" he thinks to himself.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-12, 11:59 AM
Liana
May Pelor & Ahura Mazda travel far together. Your determination is comendable and appreciated. And (she says more quietly to her allies) I'd like to get some answers too but it's going to have to wait until tomorrow if at all possible, he's an old man and far too weak at the moment.

Dacia Brabant
2010-08-12, 06:41 PM
Val

While everyone is attending to the poor wounded prophet, Val--who now seems to radiate a palpable sense of orderliness--attends to the business of securing transport, and lodging if we haven't already done so.

Once he leaves the feast, Val activates Aura of Perfect Order stance so he can take 11 on checks once per round.

And once dusk rolls around I'm repicking spells (hope we only need 3 Endure Elements, that's all I'd like to spare), one of which will be Divination, which I intend to cast before we set out on the journey but not until after we've gotten all the information we can about this mission.

Since I'm going offline for several days I'm not sure how far things will have progressed by the time I get back, so feel free to cast it for me if we get the point where we're leaving the tent city.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-22, 05:23 AM
Liana

Spotting something out he corner of her eye Liana exits the tent, and rushes over to a person collapsed outside. Despite the heat they are wearing full plate and their hair is a vibrant shade of pink.

Laying her hands on their chest she implores Pelor to pass on her message. "Return to us oh pink haired one, do not abandon this world so readily."

----------
Liana casts Revive DM on Pink.

Kallisti
2010-09-13, 02:55 PM
As the night wears on, missives, notes, invitations, and calling cards pile up. Some of the messengers are tactful enough to leave their burdens in the charge of Maliq ibn Dracar, the proprietor of the Mournful Dune, you lodgings for the night. Others, however, insist that they must deliver their messages to the Wanderers directly, and by morning you have all been awoken several times by impertinent or overeager servants; your tempers are not improved by the sight that greets you as you descend the stairs from the Mournful Dune's finest suite--Maliq insisted most vehemently that you accept it, and at no charge--even more messengers, some of whom seem to have waited the entire night to see you. Smiling apologetically, Maliq leads you to a heavy teak table where a fine meal awaits. "I hope you slept well, honored Wanderers? As well as may be expected, I mean..."

For anyone interested:
Along with all the notes, you received a number of gifts: Seven assorted bottles of perfume; four rather nice cushions--golden silk with crimson and scarlet embroidery tracing out a scene of a Caliph and a company of djinn riding through the desert, with each of your names worked onto the edge of one of the cushions; a piece of amber with a dragonfly in it; an elegant brass decanter with an arabesque of geometric patterns inlaid in silver; and a dozen clumsily made paper hats.
A few of the messages:
[written in an elegant cursive]It is the sincerest hope of the Lady Adiba Ala'Ghaliya that the Wanderers may find time, despite their many tasks, to attend her in her tent East of the marketplace for a private feast of welcome, attended by a select few of the Lady's friends and acquaintances.

If the honored Liana could find the time, her assistance in treating Masjed-al-Talba and our other wounded would be greatly appreciated.

[written in an extremely elaborate, embellished cursive]If the Wanders might find a little time to come to the southern edge of the Marketplace, enjoy some wine and reminisce a little, it would make a poor, old storyteller who feels his bones creak when he sneezes a very happy man. --Aquil Fatine

Visit Jah Anb An if you want to learn something interesting.

[written in a clumsy child's scrawl]We all lerned about the Wanderers and they're heros so we all made you hats to keep the sun off your heads so that you wont get hetest hatsr too hot and die.

Magicyop
2010-09-13, 08:59 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus scowls as he glares at the notes, shuffling them around. "They woke me up for THIS?" He glowers at the note about Jah Anb An. "What does this even mean? It's so cryptic it doesn't even make sense." His face softens a little at the note from the children, even as dark as his mind has become, he still remembers how hard life was when he was young. Making sure none of the others are watching, he sticks several paper hats in his pack.
"I'm going to go find out why this Jah Anb An indirectly woke me up for this banal note. If it's to pitch some ridiculous ware to me I'm going to give him a rather unpleasant stomach-ache. It would be rather rude to disregard any of these notes, I think we should split up and address them all.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-13, 10:45 PM
Val

The elven knight had been awake and on guard most of the night anyway, having completed his prayers to Wee Jas at dusk and needing only a couple hours of dreamscarred sleep, so for Val at least it was but a minor burden to receive the people's eager messages. He gladly received the crimson cushion marked with his name, along with two select bottles of perfume (one a cologne if there is one), and after taking a long look at it pocketed the note from Lady Adiba as well.

"It was a fine evening, none the worse for the interruptions. All shall hear of the generous hospitality at the Mournful Dune and its proprietor Maliq ibn Dracar, who has our sincere thanks," said Val with customary courtesy to the innkeeper. So as not to be rude he takes tea and a few pieces of fruit at the table, but after a moment pulls out the red letter again.

"Delicious, but I should save my appetite for this feast to be hosted by the Lady Adiba Ala'Ghaliya. I, ah, I agree with Lorkus, it would be rude to disregard any of these requests."

Before leaving the inn, Val will cast Endure Elements on himself and 2 others who would like it, and he also has 2 castings of Status available--one of these contacts might be a trap.

Kallisti
2010-09-13, 11:22 PM
Maliq tilts his head as Val mentions the offered feast. "The Lady Ala'Ghaliya has invited you to attend her? You should be honored. If I might persuade you to put in a good word with her...Lady Ala'Ghaliya is much respected among the local merchants. You could make a great fortune indeed in doing business with her."

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-14, 12:39 AM
Val

"Indeed. What can you tell me of Lady Ala'Ghaliya, that I may pay respects properly to her?"

Forgot to add in my last post, I'm still using Aura of Perfect Order.

Simba
2010-09-14, 02:08 AM
Ellenin

Not needing much rest himself, Ellenin can take messages for those who do need their sleep.

"So, what do we do now? I could help with some work, but I am not the greatest of diplomats so don't ask me to make contact with those merchants. Maybe we could go and visit those kids. They might need some small help and it would be nice for a change."

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-14, 02:16 AM
Liana

Liana has already left, informing Val as she did so. She was up at dawn as usual to complete her prayers as the new sun emerged, and decided it would be better to get as much done before the area became too overcrowded.

----------
Cast Endure Elements on self.

Magicyop
2010-09-14, 02:39 PM
Lorkus

"Excuse me." On his way out the door, Lorkus stops to talk to Maliq. He puts on his most winning smile and asks, "Do you know where I could find Jah Anb An? We got this strange note from him last night, and I wish to go and speak with him."

Kallisti
2010-09-14, 05:13 PM
"I believe his shop is currently just north of the marketplace. It's a white pavilion. Of course, he may have moved by now...he does that. Moves the shop around the city." He turns back to Val. "Lady Ala'Ghaliya is...a most forthright woman. Just be honest and show confidence, and you will be fine. Be careful, though--she has no patience for the timid, but no respect for the arrogant."

Magicyop
2010-09-14, 07:29 PM
Lorkus
"Thank you very much." Lorkus strolls out of the tent and takes to the air so as to traverse the city more easily. He rises until he has a good view of the city, then looks towards the marketplace, scanning the city for a white pavilion.

(assuming he spots it)

He soars through the air, waiting until he is right overtop of the pavilion to lower himself in what he considers an impressive way to the ground in front of it.

In case it's not obvious, Lorkus is using his 24 hour duration invocations at the beginning of every day. I don't imagine this will have any effect on the game unless he wakes up or spends the day in such a way he is unable to refresh, so is it okay if I don't mention him using them each every morning, and only worry about it if circumstances come in to play that would stop him spending around 30 seconds to refresh?

Kallisti
2010-09-14, 07:37 PM
Just as Maliq said, there is a white pavilion a little to the north of the marketplace. Lorkus lands outside it and waits a moment. There is no response, although a number of people in the marketplace are staring at the flying halfling.

Also, a DC 15 spot check will let you notice that one of the merchants is selling silks emblazoned with your faces, as well as various tableaux of the entire group in warlike stances.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-14, 07:42 PM
Val

In response to Maliq's last statement, Val's Blade Guide--all the while hovering nearby--emits a low-pitched echoing sound that could almost be a laugh, but it says no more and Val pays it no mind.

"Thanks for the tip," says the knight before taking his leave, and leaves behind his own tip of a platinum piece. "Good luck out there today everyone, and give the children my best. Let me know if they're going hungry," He adds on his way out, with the last part said in Elven to Ellenin.

He heads east of the market.

Kallisti
2010-09-14, 08:24 PM
As Val enters the marketplace--a vast clearing in the center of the city teeming with people shopping, bartering and simply talking, merchants hawking goods of all kinds from stalls or small tents ("Perfumes and scents from a thousand exotic locales! Charm that special someone!", "Fresh pastries, fresh pastries here!","Hire a guide, lest you wander the dunes forever..."), children running and playing, and cats threading their way through the forest of feet and ankles, all under the merciless desert sun--he is stopped by a young boy, perhaps fifteen, wearing crimson livery. "You are Valathiel? Ahura Mazda smile on you, Wanderer. I am Dalzeem, Lady Ala'Ghaliya's page. Come, the feast is this way..."

He leads Val (and anyone following him) to a grand crimson pavilion east of the market, and into the spacious exterior. Around a low table of aromatic pine--rare indeed in the desert--perhaps seven people are seated on cushions, enjoying a fine meal of great quality. Val is surprised (perhaps) to see a number of Elven dishes among the foodstuffs, including sirinya-ilphu blossoms, rare even in Elven lands. At the head of the table sits an elderly woman in a crimson gown. She looks up as you enter. "You're here. Excellent. Welcome. Have a seat; Dalzeem, serve the Wanderer. I trust you received my gifts? The perfumes are Bedine scents--most fine, although I find them slightly oily--and Lyndesty embroidered the cushions." She gestures to a young halfling woman seated on her left; Lyndesty smiles and blushes.

Simba
2010-09-14, 11:28 PM
Ellenin

Ellenin decides to go and find those children that made the hats for them. He takes one of the hats and starts off, looking around for groups of kids. Who knows, they might even need some help?

Kallisti
2010-09-14, 11:39 PM
Ellenin, after asking around a little, quickly learns that there are lessons given to the children, and that they take place on the southern edge of Quaysarria.

(Assuming that you go there) At the southern outskirts of Quaysarria, where the billowing tent city borders the vast, timeless desert, Ellenin finds a large and motley group of children sitting in a rough semicircle before a young woman in green. She looks up, startled. "Wanderer! I wasn't expecting you...welcome!" As she speaks, the children turn to stare, and soon Ellenin is surrounded by a small sea of tiny, excited faces; children wanting to shake hands or get a paper signed, or simply speak--"You're wearing a hat! They were my idea!", "Will you be my show-and-tell tomorrow?", "Do you know magic? Can I see?", "Have you ever seen a dragon?", "I killed a rabbit! Someday I'm gonna be a hero and go kill Angra Mainyu!", "Have you ever fought a monster? You know, a really big one!"...

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-15, 12:17 AM
Val

"Indeed we did, you have my thanks for such fine gifts--the personalized cushions were especially thoughtful. And may I say your choice of color palette is excellent, I find your pavillion like being back home in the halls of the Ruby Sorceress," he says with a bow and a wistful smile, the latter of which may have been more due to slight disappointment at Lady Adiba's advanced age (not unexpected, but one can hope) than a sense of nostalgia at the crimson arrangements.

The knight takes his seat at the table and, upon seeing the elven dishes, his Blade Guide comments in Elven, "And you would have to go to your real home to dine on food of this quality, Valathiel. You've not tasted sirinya-ilfu in a century! Only in Arvandor will you find these in abundance."

"Your pardon for that interjection, Lady Ala'Ghaliya, but my spirit guide makes a good point--you have taken much upon yourself for my comfort. What may I offer for yours?"

Simba
2010-09-15, 12:30 AM
Ellenin

At the southern outskirts of Quaysarria, where the billowing tent city borders the vast, timeless desert, Ellenin finds a large and motley group of children sitting in a rough semicircle before a young woman in green. She looks up, startled. "Wanderer! I wasn't expecting you...welcome!" As she speaks, the children turn to stare, and soon Ellenin is surrounded by a small sea of tiny, excited faces; children wanting to shake hands or get a paper signed, or simply speak--"You're wearing a hat! They were my idea!", "Will you be my show-and-tell tomorrow?", "Do you know magic? Can I see?", "Have you ever seen a dragon?", "I killed a rabbit! Someday I'm gonna be a hero and go kill Angra Mainyu!", "Have you ever fought a monster? You know, a really big one!"...

Ellenin looks at the young woman: "I hope you don't mind my coming here today. These children made gifts for us" he touches the hat he is wearing "so I want to thank them in my own way. If you don't mind, that is. What are you teaching them?"

Magicyop
2010-09-15, 12:33 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus grumbles, obviously hoping for a more amazed welcome. Nonetheless, he rubs the sleep from his eyes and enters the white pavilion. Despite the fact that he is in a very bad mood, he tries to be polite. "Jah Anb An? Is he around here somewhere?" he says with a broad smile.

Kallisti
2010-09-15, 02:28 PM
Ellenin looks at the young woman: "I hope you don't mind my coming here today. These children made gifts for us" he touches the hat he is wearing "so I want to thank them in my own way. If you don't mind, that is. What are you teaching them?"

She smiles. "Not at all, that's very kind of you. We were doing sums."

Lorkus grumbles, obviously hoping for a more amazed welcome. Nonetheless, he rubs the sleep from his eyes and enters the white pavilion. Despite the fact that he is in a very bad mood, he tries to be polite. "Jah Anb An? Is he around here somewhere?" he says with a broad smile.

Inside the white pavilion is a bewildering myriad of trinkets, curios, and various bizarre items, piled on tables, hanging, in cases or on pedestals or on cushions on the floor. And, strangely enough, on every cushion, in every case, on every table, along with the wares, is a bottle of some kind. Flasks, decanters, ewers, made of glass and porcelain, ivory and brass. On the table with the oak-framed mirror and the grinning mask is a tiny phial full of scarlet liquid. On the cushion next to the rough cloth dolls is a bronze lamp emitting aromatic smoke. Standing in the center of this chaotic jumble is a man in immaculate white robes, who smiles at Lorkus and bows so low it seems he must surely fall over, grinning a wide, vulpine smile. "Welcome, Wanderer. I am Jah Anb An."

Liana has already left, informing Val as she did so. She was up at dawn as usual to complete her prayers as the new sun emerged, and decided it would be better to get as much done before the area became too overcrowded.

Threading her way through the bustling Bazaar, Liana soon arrives at the healer's tent. The healer attending Masjed-Al-Talba looks up. Lady Lianna. Thank you for coming. I am sorry to impose, but I am the only one of us with any gift for healing spells, and my powers are small indeed. Basdra and Aquil help when they can, of course, but neither of them have your gift. Besides, Masjed-Al-Talba is awake, and has been most anxious that one of the Wanderers attend him.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-15, 02:59 PM
Liana

"Dont be so modest, you keep this entire people going. Don't sell yourself short just because I'm here.

She smiles as she enters the tent.

"How are you feeling today, physically if not emotionally?

Kallisti
2010-09-15, 04:16 PM
"Physically? Your expert ministrations and those of Sakhana here have restored me to, if not wellness, then adequate health. However, I find myself most restless knowing that Azi Dahaka still roams free. I hate to sound ungrateful, but there is no telling how much destruction he may cause if lhe finds a way to free the other Daeva. You must stop him. Somehow."

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-15, 04:24 PM
Liana

"I assure you we shall do all we can as soon as we can. What else can you tell us about these creatures and this second Daeva?

Kallisti
2010-09-15, 04:31 PM
"Second, and third, and hundredth, and thousandth. The Daeva are the army of Angra Mainyu, and Azi Dahaka is one of their generals. If an army of Daeva were unleashed upon the world, Azi Dahaka at their head...They were imprisoned beneath the Golden Palace of Zahadran, the last act of Caliph Ardishir. If Azi Dahaka has escaped..."

Magicyop
2010-09-15, 05:59 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus looks around in an amazed sort of way. "I've never seen a shop like this before, and I've seen a lot of shops. What do you sell?" Without waiting for an answer, mainly because he doesn't actually care, he holds up the note. "I was woken up in the middle of the night to receive this very important note saying only that I could learn something interesting from you. As I am interested in interesting things, I have come to find out what that is."

Kallisti
2010-09-15, 06:09 PM
"Hmmm...well, I know a great number of interesting things. I know that twenty-three angels can dance on the head of a pin, I know that the current Caliph of the City of Brass lost no small part of his power by breaking faith in a bargain with a faerie, and I know that Azi Dahaka is a shapeshifter and knows that Masjed-Al-Talba survived his attack and warned the city...and you."

Simba
2010-09-15, 11:25 PM
Ellenin

She smiles. "Not at all, that's very kind of you. We were doing sums."

"That is an important skill, even for an adventurer. Especially for an adventurer. Do you have any ideas how I could help you?"

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 11:04 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus shakes his head. "What?" He is befuddled when the man starts talking, wondering why he is gibbering, but by the time Jah Anb An reaches Azi Dahaka, he has grown more interested. "Then I suppose you also know that the Wanderers have pledged to look into the case of this Azi Dahaka. What more can you tell me... and what are your motives for doing so?" As he speaks, Lorkus looks around the clutter for a seat.

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 05:08 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus shakes his head. "What?" He is befuddled when the man starts talking, wondering why he is gibbering, but by the time Jah Anb An reaches Azi Dahaka, he has grown more interested. "Then I suppose you also know that the Wanderers have pledged to look into the case of this Azi Dahaka. What more can you tell me... and what are your motives for doing so?" As he speaks, Lorkus looks around the clutter for a seat.

Jah Anb An grins his unsettlingly wide grin. "It is a simple enough riddle, Wanderer. Why might I warn you that the Daeva is a shapeshifter?"

"That is an important skill, even for an adventurer. Especially for an adventurer. Do you have any ideas how I could help you?"

One of the children tugs your sleeve. "You could be my show and tell tomorrow!"

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 06:00 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus frowns. He is quickly beginning to dislike this man. "Any number of reasons. Don't play games. Thanks to you, I'm short on sleep, and grumpy as a result. If you make me guess, I assure you, you will regret it. Spit out your true meaning."

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 06:07 PM
"Not one for riddles? Then have an ominous warning. Azi Dahaka can take on any face he likes, and walk through Quaysarria."

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 06:17 PM
Lorkus

"Brilliant. You told me that in your first sentence. Anything else, or is that it?" Lorkus adopts a disapproving frown.

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 06:35 PM
"Must there be more? Your enemy--the Daeva of whom poor Masjed is so very terrified--could easily be somewhere in town. I have warned you, now. Perhaps you will find him. Perhaps you may even succeed in stopping him. Or perhaps you may die, although I doubt it. I have done what I will. Please, feel free to browse my wares. Or to leave. Or to stay, if you choose."

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 06:52 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus snaps. He has had enough. Every syllable from Jah Anb An's mouth whispers the subtext, "I know more than that."

Frighteningly, he doesn't yell. The handsome smile comes back. "You are right of course. I am ever so thankful for this information. However, perhaps you should tell me how you know this information, and what you have to gain by telling me. I think that you know quite a lot about this and I'm very glad that you are so willing to tell me." Every word drips with magic, and a too-sweet tone of voice.

Lorkus is using Heightened Charm on Jah Anb An. Jah Anb An gets a DC 28 Will Save to resist. Yes, I know it's not a smart move -- but it's what Lorkus would do, not what I would do.

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 06:56 PM
Jan Anb An grins. "Perhaps. Although you may have more pressing concerns. The one witness to the Daeva's re-emergence was left without any guards but the healers for the night. If Masjed-Al-Talba still breathes, I will be most astonished."

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 07:00 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus's eyes widen. He's no genius, but he isn't dumb. "Liana..." he breathes. If this man's words are true, Masjed could be Azi Dahaka, ready to strike at any moment. Praying that his invocation was successful, he opens the door. "Come with me to the healer's tent, and quickly, please."

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 07:31 PM
"I'm afraid I must remain here, as much as I would like to accompany you."

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 07:41 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus hisses impatiently, torn between making sure Liana is alright and interrogating Jah Anb An. "I'll be back. Don't think I'm done speaking with you." He curses himself, betting that the man will be much harder to find next time, but bursts from the pavilion and rockets into the sky. He speeds as fast as he can toward the healer's tent, not bothering to touch ground and simply zipping past the healers at the door. "Liana?" he calls. "Masjed?

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 08:01 PM
Masjed-Al-Talba stares in amazement as Lorkus flies in. "What's happened? It is the Daeva?"

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 08:11 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus gives a jovial laugh. "No, no, nothing quite so important as that. But do you remember the blue robe I was wearing yesterday when you interrupted the feast? I seem to have misplaced it, and I was wondering if you remember it, and what happened to it. I believe that one of the healers may have taken it by accident, believing it to be healing garb. The robe has certain... magical properties, and I would hate to lose it. I was just speaking with the Emir about how well he learned when you were teaching him about Azi Dahaka, and it occurred to me that the robe might be of particular use."

Lorkus is using a massive bluff check here. If you didn't guess the idea is that these things are NOT true, but they are things that Lorkus believes Azi Dahaka couldn't possibly know about Masjed-al-Talba's life, and the events of yesterday. In contrast with his usual garb, remembering an imaginary blue robe would be very difficult, even in the state Masjed-al-Talba was in. So the bluff is that all of the above is true, and that he is telling the truth about his motives. You can assume, if I do well on my bluff check, that Lorkus worded it more convincingly than me. Lorkus is DA MAN when it comes to lying, I however am not. So, rolling!

[roll0] + 40 = 47
Not a GREAT roll, but he's so fantastic at lying it really doesn't matter. 47. I'm proud. :-P

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 08:22 PM
Masjed-Al-Talba frowns. "You sounded...very urgent."

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 08:25 PM
Lorkus

"The magic of the robe only works for a short time each day, and that time is fast approaching. I need to demonstrate the robe for the Emir before that time passes or I shall have to wait for tomorrow. You remember what the robe looked like yesterday, have you seen it?"

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 08:30 PM
"I am afraid not. But there is little time...please, the Daeva has been free for at least a day."

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 08:37 PM
Lorkus
"I am aware." Lorkus sighs convincingly. "It will shortly be too late. I suppose I must wait until tomorrow to show the Emir its power. It is good that you taught him so well about Azi Dahaka. He seems to have been the most attentive student. He told me that he thinks that Azi Dahaka can change his shape, and the robe should be able to reveal the true forms of creatures, making it easy for us to find him. I'm sure you can verify the Emir's statement, since you taught it to him."

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 08:47 PM
"Azi Dahaka a shapechanger? Where did you hear this? There is nothing of this in the myths, nothing in the scripture..."

(Roll Sense Motive.)

Magicyop
2010-09-16, 08:54 PM
I rolled in OOC thread and got 13, unless I get a bonus for suspecting him to be Azi Dahaka. (after he bought my thing about the blue robe, even more so.)

Lorkus

Lorkus frowns. "How odd. He mentioned something like that. He said that according to you, Azi Dahaka could take the shape of... anyone. He must have fantasized that from something else you said."

He pulls Liana aside and mutters to her, "Do you have any spell that could determine if Masjed-al-Talba is evil, or if he is in disguise?"

Then, he speaks with the head healer. "Excuse me. Have you been guarding our friend Masjed all night? Did anyone come in during the night? Anyone at all? Was there any commotion?"

Kallisti
2010-09-16, 10:37 PM
She frowns. "No, although...I did leave during the night, for a while. Some of the others remained all night; he was never alone. I think..."

Masjed-Al-Talba pounds a fist against his leg. "This is exactly what it wants. Paranoia, second-guessing...Sakhana, you and yours have given me the best of care. You do not think I was never alone, you saw to it personally. You know it. And now you're not certain?"

(Roll sense motive.)

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-17, 02:51 AM
Liana

"Please don't do that again, I thought someone had died by the way you rushed in you hippogriff's ass."

Liana listens to the conversation and when the whisper comes her way she does have one in mind.

"If it will ease your mind over this there is a simple spell to root out evil in our midst, and it's even so polite as to identify any evil that has been and gone again."

She looks at Lorkus with faux condesention, inside she is actually just as worried as he is that something has gone on.

"Lord of the New Dawn, show me the darkness that assails us."

----------
Cast Detect Evil.
Ready Dispel Evil if any overwhelming auras pop up.

Simba
2010-09-17, 03:17 AM
Ellenin

One of the children tugs your sleeve. "You could be my show and tell tomorrow!"

Ellenin looks at the teacher, then shrugs: "I will gladly come again tomorrow, if we are still here."

Magicyop
2010-09-17, 06:47 AM
Lorkus

"Interesting..." he says to the healer, ignoring Masjed."Who did you leave in charge while you were gone?"

When Liana begins casting her spell, he turns to her and smiles hopefully.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-17, 07:44 AM
Liana

Since her spells don't require fiddly somantic components she points towards the sole spellcasting healer as she finetunes her new vision.

Magicyop
2010-09-17, 07:55 AM
Lorkus

"Make sure you also look at Masjed." whispers Lorkus.

Kallisti
2010-09-17, 04:57 PM
"Indeed we did, you have my thanks for such fine gifts--the personalized cushions were especially thoughtful. And may I say your choice of color palette is excellent, I find your pavillion like being back home in the halls of the Ruby Sorceress," he says with a bow and a wistful smile, the latter of which may have been more due to slight disappointment at Lady Adiba's advanced age (not unexpected, but one can hope) than a sense of nostalgia at the crimson arrangements.

The knight takes his seat at the table and, upon seeing the elven dishes, his Blade Guide comments in Elven, "And you would have to go to your real home to dine on food of this quality, Valathiel. You've not tasted sirinya-ilfu in a century! Only in Arvandor will you find these in abundance."

"Your pardon for that interjection, Lady Ala'Ghaliya, but my spirit guide makes a good point--you have taken much upon yourself for my comfort. What may I offer for yours?"

The Lady smiles. "I'd ask for the head of Azi Dahaka, but I'm afraid good Al-Talba has the prior claim. You have already traveled to our city and agreed to aid us. I think a banquet is the least we can do. And, I must admit, I did not order the blossoms entirely for your benefit--they are a vice of mine, and one I can indulge all to rarely. However, I did not ask you here for your company, pleasant as it is. I have a request to make--allow Lyndesty to accompany you, as a guide. You will find that she is conversant in a great many languages, is an excellent cook, and a talented seamstress. I trust her to make herself useful, and to keep out from underfoot. She also knows the trade routes of the caravans that have disappeared recently, which seems as good a place as any to start your search for the Daeva. As the Lady of the Quaysarria Merchant's Guild, it is my responsibility to ensure that any goods that survive in those caravans are returned to their rightful owners. You will, of course, receive a ten percent finder's fee for assisting Lyndesty in recovering them."

Lyndesty blushes as the Lady enumerates her talents, and says in flawless Elven "'A great many languages' is an exaggeration. I'm only any real good with the trade tongues."

Ellenin looks at the teacher, then shrugs: "I will gladly come again tomorrow, if we are still here."

"Thank you. You are very kind. I must admit, I didn't expect one of the Wanderers to come in person."

Kallisti
2010-09-17, 05:07 PM
Liana

Since her spells don't require fiddly somantic components she points towards the sole spellcasting healer as she finetunes her new vision.

Round 1: Presence or absence of evil within the cone.
There is evil present.

"Have you cast it?"
"I know this spell, Sakhana. Give her time."

Round 2: Number of evil auras present and strength of the most potent aura.
There are twelve evil auras, of which the most potent is overwhelming.

The other healers have all gathered to stare expectantly at you by this point.

Round 3: The power and location of each aura.
From each of the healers, you see a dim aura. From Masjed, you see an overwhelming aura.

"Well?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-17, 05:32 PM
Liana

"Sadly my companion is right, there has indeed been evil here. Lorkus, go gather the others we need to be off soon. I'll see if the auras go anywhere to give us a clue of our direction."

With that she gives a short bow and walks out the tent.

Magicyop
2010-09-17, 05:53 PM
Lorkus

"Of course. It is good that we checked. It appears Azi Dahaka may have been up to something in the night, he may have been trying to get at you. It is good that the healers never left you alone, or you may have been destroyed. We will notify the Emir immediately." Lorkus follows Liana out of the tent, and once they are out of earshot, he looks at her grimly. "We were fools. We left him alone all night." He sighs and rolls his head from left to right, stretching it. "We need to face him together, but we must make sure he doesn't escape and impersonate someone else. No one is safe. I learned of his deception from Jah Anb An, the merchant who left that cryptic note. I intend to return to him immediately, find out why he would tell us, and if he knows anything else. Do you have any way that we could contact Val and Ellenin and the Emir without leaving here? I fear if we leave here, he will be gone when we return."

Another bluff check to make sure they don't find out that we know... although it's probably pretty obvious
[roll0] + 40 = 48

I'd also like to note that Lorkus is watching the entrance to the medical tent and he is ready to cast a Noxious Eldritch Chain if he sees anyone at all emerging from the medical tent. In his head, the entire tent is compromised or may be, and he is justified in executing anyone who comes out of there.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-18, 02:54 AM
Liana

"The healers aren't wicked and they're healers to boot, what can they do to you. They are afflicted by magical maladies which puts them squarely in my jurestiction, disable them if you have to but if you harm any of them you WILL regret it.*

I have no communication spells and I'll need Elle with me in case he turns. I'll try to make sure he doesn't leave, go quickly."

----------
Elle is her Lamassu Healer's Companion, who is just round the side of the tent, ready to Rake the crap out of anyone who attacks me.

*Liana has a spell called Impotency, that's all I'm saying....

Magicyop
2010-09-18, 08:13 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus was torn. "Fine. If you're in danger, run. None of us need you dying." Then he took off and zipped back to the inn to talk to Maliq. "Maliq! Quickly, I need your help. Where did Val and Ellenin go?"

Kallisti
2010-09-18, 02:15 PM
"Er...Valathiël was asking about the Lady Ala'Ghaliya...her pavilion is to the east of the market square...I don't know where Ellenin is; he just left. He was wearing one of those hats..."

Magicyop
2010-09-18, 02:23 PM
Lorkus

"Blast it all! Thank you. If either of them returns here tell them to meet me at the medical tent at once. Ditto for the Emir, if you see him, though I suppose that's less likely." The halfling runs out of the inn as fast as his stubby legs will carry him and takes once again to the air, heading east and looking for a pavilion like the one Maliq described.

--if he finds it--

He tries to touch down more gently, despite his rush, he does not want to appear rude to such a distinguished person.

Kallisti
2010-09-18, 02:32 PM
Lorkus: You touch down in front of a crimson pavilion. A footman in crimson livery is standing at the entrance, and stares as you land. "Wanderer...we didn't think you were coming. Er, welcome! Please, enter; Lady Ala'Ghaliya will be pleased to see you."

Magicyop
2010-09-18, 02:37 PM
Lorkus

"Ah, excellent. Thank you very much. I apologize for my lateness, of course." He takes a moment to smooth down his hair and regain his composure, then enters the pavilion with a straight back.

Kallisti
2010-09-18, 04:44 PM
The Lady looks up from her conversation with Val. "I didn't think you would make it. Welcome. Please, help yourself; we've already started the banquet, but we're in no danger of running out of comestibles. I was just sharing a proposal with Valathiël..."

Magicyop
2010-09-18, 06:10 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus sighs uncomfortably. "Milady, I am sorry, I would like nothing more than to stay and join you in dinner, but I am afraid my news is more immediately worrisome. A situation has arisen, and I need Val immediately." He leans over and whispers in Val's ear, "We found the Daeva. Go to the medical tent and Liana will fill you in."

He stands straight and apologizes profusely. "After we have resolved the situation, I assure you, me and Val will both return to share a meal with you and speak of your proposal." As if just having thought of something, he continues, "I need to find Ellenin also, and I believe he may have gone after some children who gave us some lovely handcrafted gifts. Do you know of any place in Quaysarria that there could be a gathering of children? A camp, or an orphanage, or a school of some sort?"

Kallisti
2010-09-19, 11:18 AM
Roll Wits+Composure Sense Motive.
"Of course. The children take their lessons on the southern edge of the Market Square, and after lessons end tend to be in the vicinity of that layabout Aquil Fatine."

Magicyop
2010-09-19, 04:18 PM
Lorkus

"My thanks, milady, and my profuse apologies for interrupting your banquet. I hope to dine with you soon." Lorkus makes sure that Val is headed to the medical tent, then bursts into the air outside the pavilion, headed towards the southern end of the square. He lands with considerably less grace than he did for the Lady.

Kallisti
2010-09-19, 08:57 PM
Lorkus lands amongst the horde of children surrounding Ellenin and is instantly surrounded by a cloud of his own tiny satellites, pulling at sleeves and shouting questions, and in one case placing another paper hat on your head. "Oh. Er, hello...you must be Lorkus. Welcome, Wanderer. Is there something I can do for you? You look like you're in a hurry."

Magicyop
2010-09-19, 09:24 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus smiles regretfully. "Hello, children!" He smiles and turns to Ellenin. "I am deeply sorry, but I must take Ellenin away from you for a moment. She is needed in front of the medical tent. I know that you all were in the middle of something... But I'll make you a deal." He smiles and leans close to the children, and whispers conspiratorially, "I'll come back later with Ellenin, and when I do, I'll tell you the number one secret to being a great adventurer. Sound good?" He stands back up. "Ellenin, come with me to the medical tent, please. Farewell for the moment, children, I'll see you again soon. Oh, and-- thank you for the hats. My head was getting hot this morning and I needed one." He winks, and takes off back towards Liana.

Simba
2010-09-20, 12:40 AM
Ellenin

"Thank you. You are very kind. I must admit, I didn't expect one of the Wanderers to come in person."

"I will be back tomorrow, then. Unless our duty calls us to leave."

Ellenin follows Lorkus."What's up?"

Magicyop
2010-09-20, 05:57 AM
Lorkus

"I think me and Liana found Azi Dahaka." hisses Lorkus, then says no more and simply continues walking.

Simba
2010-09-20, 06:03 AM
Ellenin

"Oh. Ok."

While walking Ellening readies his bow and quickly checks his gear.

Magicyop
2010-09-20, 06:07 AM
Lorkus

As they near the medical tent, Lorkus groans. "What-- Where is Val? I was under the impression when we arrived, we'd have all four of us."

Kallisti
2010-09-20, 08:06 PM
Valathiël dodges through a gap between two tents, Lyndesty at his heels, blade guide in tow and blade at the ready. "Not all of us can fly, you know."

Magicyop
2010-09-20, 08:09 PM
Lorkus

"Excellent. Now, we believe, based on information I got from Jah Anb An, and Liana's magic, that Masjed has been killed in the night and Azi Dahaka is impersonating him." Here he pauses and turns himself invisible. "With any luck, he bought my story and believes that we still think him to be Masjed. With bad luck, he'll be prepared for us. Eliminate him first and try not to harm the healers unless you have to." He glances at Liana.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-20, 08:11 PM
The Lady smiles. "I'd ask for the head of Azi Dahaka, but I'm afraid good Al-Talba has the prior claim. You have already traveled to our city and agreed to aid us. I think a banquet is the least we can do. And, I must admit, I did not order the blossoms entirely for your benefit--they are a vice of mine, and one I can indulge all to rarely. However, I did not ask you here for your company, pleasant as it is. I have a request to make--allow Lyndesty to accompany you, as a guide. You will find that she is conversant in a great many languages, is an excellent cook, and a talented seamstress. I trust her to make herself useful, and to keep out from underfoot. She also knows the trade routes of the caravans that have disappeared recently, which seems as good a place as any to start your search for the Daeva. As the Lady of the Quaysarria Merchant's Guild, it is my responsibility to ensure that any goods that survive in those caravans are returned to their rightful owners. You will, of course, receive a ten percent finder's fee for assisting Lyndesty in recovering them."

"I see that you are a shrewd woman, Lady Ala'Ghaliya, Val replies gravely. "Your interests match our own, we are in need of a guide and you are in need of your merchandise, and we both need the Daeva dealth with. Very well, I'll introduce Lyndesty to the rest of my group and we'll discuss your request."

Lyndesty blushes as the Lady enumerates her talents, and says in flawless Elven "'A great many languages' is an exaggeration. I'm only any real good with the trade tongues."

"And I prefer the Common tongue myself," Val turns to Lyndesty and replies smilingly, eliciting a much-expected exclamation from his Blade Guide. "So a linguist may be useful, and one of my first concerns was that we bring a guide for this mission. But one question--have you been in many, or any, battles? I don't mean that condescendingly and I would, as a matter of course, do all in my power to protect you from harm, but it would help my peace of mind if I knew whether you've been exposed to much danger."

He was going to continue this conversation with her over the banquet just when Lorkus arrived. After hearing the explanation Val nods and gives a simple"Understood," before standing to take his leave. "My apologies as well but this just got a whole lot more interesting. I will return as soon as I am able.... Lyndesty, would you like to accompany me to the Healer's Tent? This may be an opportune time to see you in action--if your mistress permits it of course."

When he (or he and Lyndesty) arrive at the tent, he asks, "So, what's the situation?"

((OOC: Heh, nice timing there with the posts.))

Magicyop
2010-09-20, 09:00 PM
Lorkus

"Liana, you start us off-- can you do anything to attempt to purge the evil from Masjed, or an attack that will only affect evil creatures? I worry that perhaps Azi Dahaka may have kept the real Masjed alive and may swap him in to force us to unwittingly commit an act of great evil. After you have opened the battle and assured us that he is still a danger, I will remove my invisibility and surprise him. I'll use my power to nauseate him and keep him defenseless while the rest of you deal with him. With any luck the healers are not compromised and will help us, otherwise, make every attempt to not harm them. However, if you personally are threatened, do what must be done." His voice moves closer to the tent entrance. "Does anyone have a problem with the plan as I've outlined it so far?"

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-21, 12:29 AM
Val

The elven knight looks befuddled. "Wait, what? Who is this 'Jah Anb An' character and why should we believe what he says? And what spell did you cast to verify this story? It sounds to me like you detected evil within him, but isn't it possible that the source of that evil was a spell cast on him by the Daeva? I want to know we're sure about this before leaping into the fray."

Simba
2010-09-21, 01:48 AM
Ellenin

"What kind of creature is Azi Dahaka supposed to be? A daeva? What exactly is a daeva?"

After these words Ellenin concentrates for a few seconds, deep in some kind of trance.

Casting Detect Favored Enemy:

<Div, VS/DF, 1StdAct, Concentration up to 10min/lvl, no save, no SR>
The caster can sense a member of his/her Favored Enemy within a quarter circle extending out 60’. The information gained increases each round:
1st round – presence of the Favored Enemy

2nd round – types of the Favored Enemies, and their numbers. If not in line-of-sight, the caster only knows the direction.

3rd round – location & HD of each creature.

Favored enemies for Ellenin are: Undead, Magical beasts, Dragons and Evil Outsiders.

Magicyop
2010-09-21, 11:15 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus frowns. "Jah Anb An is... actually, I don't know. I plan to go back and find out more about him after this if you'd like to come. But he knew things he really shouldn't have, and he seemed like he was telling the truth. Plus," Violet sparks shoot from Lorkus' fingers. "I beguiled him. So I'm fairly certain he told me the truth to the best of his knowledge. I went in there and spewed a bunch of lies about the events of yesterday, lies the real Masjed would instantly know to be false, and he bought them without protest. Lastly, Liana said that the aura of evil coming from him was much too powerful to only be a spell," here he fixes his gaze on Liana. "Isn't that right? I really believe this is our best option."

He turns to Ellenin. "The Emir mentioned some kind of blue demon of storm. So yes, I assume a Daeva is a demon."

Kallisti
2010-09-21, 05:05 PM
Simba:
Round 1: There is a favored enemy within the tent. Round 2: There is one Evil Outsider within the tent. Round 3: It has 15 HD and is in the center of the tent.

Simba
2010-09-22, 12:46 AM
Ellenin

"I can feel the presence of an evil being inside the tent, near its center. It is not from this plane of existance and has considerable power. I guess you are right, let's do this!"

As the concentration slips from Ellenin's face an expression of barely supressed anger takes its place as he puts an arrow to the string and turns towards the tent, quietly adding: "I need some room to move and fire in there. I will not hit you if you are close to him, but I require some space to be effective. Do you want me to open with a well-placed shot, then charge in?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-22, 02:37 AM
Liana

"Lord of Light, shield us from our foes."

------------
Magic Circle Against Evil

Magicyop
2010-09-22, 06:16 AM
Lorkus

"Let me fly in and get out of your target sight, I want you charging right behind me. I'll be invisible so be careful. Liana, Val, be ready to come right after us. If the healers attack us, Liana, would you focus your magic on restoring them to normal? Thank you. Everyone ready?"

Simba
2010-09-22, 06:23 AM
Ellenin walks back a few steps while murmuring the words of a spell and stroking his bow, then turns around, bow ready: "Let's go!"

Casting Hunter’s Mercy: The caster’s next shot with a bow hits
automatically and threatens a critical, but the shot must occur by the end of the round after the spell is cast.

Magicyop
2010-09-22, 06:53 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus flits into the tent invisibly, ahead of Ellenin, the moment he is inside he swerves to the left to avoid the inevitably bow shot while trying to not reveal his position.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-22, 07:08 AM
Liana
"Don't harm the Healers, they're enspelled and innocent in this."

Simba
2010-09-22, 07:11 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin runs after Lorkus and stops in the entrance, bow raised, ready to shoot the disguised daeva.

Simba
2010-09-22, 10:44 AM
Ellenin

As soon as he has the target in sight, Ellenin looses 3 arrows in rapid succession, all going for the evil in the center of the tent, an evil he can feel, an enemy of his.

I will not be online for the next few hours, so if things happen the way we hope:

first attack: auto crit, doing [roll0] (base) + [roll1] (skirmish) + [roll2] (magebane) good-typed damage.

Attack 2: [roll3], doing doing [roll4] (base) + [roll5] (skirmish) + [roll6] (magebane) good-typed damage.

Attack 3: [roll7], doing doing [roll8] (base) + [roll9] (skirmish) + [roll10] (magebane) good-typed damage.

The weapon is blessed and magebane, Ellenin has evil outsiders as his favored enemies and uses greater manyshot, improved skirmish, improved precise shot and point blank shot to attack 3 times in a standard action. The spell 'Hunter's Mercy' helps with the autocrit, Swift Hunter with the fact that the creature might be imune to critical hits or precision damage. He has moved 20' this round, so his AC improves by +6 as well. Please don't count the magebane damage if the Daeva has no arcane powers whatsoever.

Magicyop
2010-09-22, 12:22 PM
Lorkus, surprising his enemy from behind, breaks from invisibility, and murmurs, "Die." Green, sickly smelling fire pours from his fingers and rains over Masjed.

DM:
Lorkus is using Noxious Eldritch Spear. Roll to hit:

[roll0] against Masjed's touch AC... he is probably also flatfooted since Lorkus was invisible, so disregard any AC bonuses he has from armor or dexterity. The blast deals [roll1] damage AND Masjed must make a DC 27 fortitude save, if he fails his save he will be nauseated and unable to take standard actions and only able to use move actions, and only one per turn at that. :smallbiggrin:

Kallisti
2010-09-22, 04:13 PM
Round 1:

The Wanderers charge into the tent...and there stands Masjed-Al-Talba, waiting. He opens his mouth unnaturally wide, and a flash of blue-black lightning forks from his throat, leaping hungrily towards all but Lorkus, safe--barely--up by the low top of the tent. Ellenin nimbly drops into a roll, evading the blast with ease, but Valathiel and Liana are less lucky. It leaps and coruscates across them, bringing no pain, only an ominous numb feeling. The priest grins, and battle is joined.

Valathiel charges, chain swinging, as Chrenepsys whispers "Swing for the exposed flesh." His weapon flashes out swift as a serpent, leaving a long but shallow gash down Masjed-Al-Talba's neck.

Ellenin looses his three arrows. His first flies straight and true into the Daeva's heart, causing a shower of foul cobalt-and ebony ichor. His second follows Valathiel's chain into the Daeva's throat, guided by the Ruby Knight's shouted commands. His third flies wide.

Sickly green fire pours from Lorkus' fingers and engulfs Al-Talba...only to roll harmlessly across the possessed priest's skin.

The healers back away, most of them fleeing. The head healer Sakhana, however, stands her ground and begins to chant a prayer.

Map:
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Temporaryaccount_album/HealersTent1.png

The two gray squares (partially obscured by Liana's Magic Circe Against Evil) are the entrance to the tent. Anyone trying to go through a tent wall will need to make a DC 10 Strength check, and doing so will cause the tent to collapse.

The black rectangles are the beds. Any square containing one or more of them is considered difficult terrain.

Val's actions:

Swift: Guided Strike.
Move: Enter the tent.
Standard: Crusader's Strike on Azi Dahaka, taking 11. Hits.

14 damage to Azi Dahaka/Masjed-Al-Talba from Val's Vanguard Strike. All attacks against the Daeva until the beginning of his next turn receive +4.

110 damage to the Daeva from Ellenin.

Lorkus' Eldritch Blast fails to affect the Daeva.

Sakhana casts Bless on the party.

Liana's turn.

Azi Dahaka/Masjed Al-Talba: Badly wounded, Crusader's Strike.
Valathiel: Init 14, 108/140 HP, Steely Resolve 10, Furious Counterstrike +2, Aura of Perfect Order, Magic Circle Against Evil, Bless.
--Chrenepsys: Init 14, 119/140 HP, Magic Circle Against Evil.
Ellenin: Init 13, 85/85 HP, Bless, Magic Circle Against Evil.
Lorkus: Init 9, 104/104 HP, Bless, Magic Circle Against Evil.
Sakhana: Init 7, Uninjured, Magic Circle Against Evil, Bless.
Liana: Init 2, HP 109/151, Magic Circle Against Evil (Center), Bless.

Magicyop
2010-09-22, 04:24 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus frowns. He expected more from his magic. Time to try a different tact, he thinks to himself. He snaps his fingers and a seething mass of tentacles erupts under Masjed's feet, twining around him and constricting tightly, glistening with cold blue light.

Lorkus is using chilling tentacles. This is a grapple check for the tentacles: [roll0]. If they succeed in grappling Masjed, they deal [roll1] bludgeoning damage. Even if they don't, he takes [roll2] cold damage. (The cold damage effects him even if he escapes the grapple.)

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-23, 06:08 AM
Liana

"Mighty Pelor restore us."

White lightning bolts from Liana into herself and all of her injured allies. I'll then use any thats left on healers, just coz.

"NOW ELLE!!"

With that command a hole bursts through the tent but nothing seems to have caused it until a series of slash marks appear all over the enemy.

----------------
Mass CLW: [roll0] each.

Elle has used Greater Invisibility (flat footed) and charges to B3. She has pounce so gets a full attack plus two addition rakes.

I assume since the healer wasn't aware of Elle she doesn't get the Bless Bonus, however she too has a 20ft radius Magic Circle Against Evil on her permanently.

Attack: [roll1] // Damage: [roll2]
Attack: [roll3] // Damage: [roll4]
Attack: [roll5] // Damage: [roll6]
Attack: [roll7] // Damage: [roll8]

Well them's some weak-ass rolls. Very rarely am I tempted to delete a post and have another go, but that was definiteoly one of them.

Simba
2010-09-23, 06:33 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin moves into the tent and runs to the eastern side, squeezing through behind Lorkus to reach his goal. He once ore unleashes a rapid succession of 3 arrows, aimed at the same target.

attack 1: [roll0] damage: [roll1] + [roll2] + [roll3]
attack 2: [roll4] damage: [roll5] + [roll6] + [roll7]
attack 3: [roll8] damage: [roll9] + [roll10] + [roll11]

Kallisti
2010-09-23, 06:41 PM
Liana raises her hands, and the light of Pelor flashes from it, closing some of the wounds.

Elle charges, tearing open a hole in the tent, but misses the Daeva.

The Daeva dances nimbly around Valathiel, avoiding his chain, and stretches out a hand to touch Ellenin, who feels a deep and awful pain, fist as if he had been bitten by a dragon, and then as though he had been bitten by the most awful serpent in the desert. The startling force of the blow sends him rolling and tumbling back, and the pain courses through his veins like the tears of the sun.

Valathiel, seeing that without the momentum of a charge he cannot rely on hitting the Daeva, and must leave it to chance. He leaps backward, landing nimbly on one of the beds, and swings, adding another gash across the Daeva's cheek and calling out an exhortation to the Ruby Goddess.

Ellenin, despite the pain, stands up and fires, but finds that his limbs are betraying him, and his arrows fly wide.

As Ellenin flies back, Sakhana cries out and dashes towards him, but Masjed-Al-Talba's hand snakes out quick as lightning and Sakhana too is thrown like a ragdoll, landing in a heap.

Liana heals everyone by 18.

Elle misses with every attack.

Azi Dahaka moves around Valathiel, who misses on his AoOs by one point (using Aura of Perfect Order), into C6. and attacks Ellenin. 18 damage to Ellenin, who must make both a Will and a Reflex save. Ellenin flies back into C9.

Azi Dahaka misses his AoO on Val, but hits on his AoO on Sakhana.
Val's actions:

Move: Move back to C4.
Standard: Crusader's Strike. 21 damage to the Daeva and he heals 17 damage.

Map:
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Temporaryaccount_album/HealersTent2.png

Azi Dahaka/Masjed Al-Talba: Badly wounded.
Valathiel: Init 14, 115/140 HP, Aura of Perfect Order, Magic Circle Against Evil, Bless.
--Chrenepsys: Init 14, 119/140 HP, Bless, Magic Circle Against Evil.
Ellenin: Init 13, 67/85 HP, Bless, Magic Circle Against Evil, -4 to attacks, skills and abilities from the pain, Prone.
Lorkus: Init 9, 104/104 HP, Bless.
Sakhana: Init 7, Injured, Magic Circle Against Evil, Bless.
Liana: Init 2, HP 109/151, Magic Circle Against Evil (Center), Bless.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-25, 07:13 AM
Liana steps bac and a sphere of golden light erupts from her to cover the entire tent as well as many ft beyond it.

Elle charged again, determined to harm the monstrosity.

------------
5ft step and cast Repulsion because it's the only High level spell I have that isn't pure healing and is on the SRD.

Invisible Elle:
[roll0] // [roll1]
[roll2] // [roll3]
[roll4] // [roll5]
[roll6] // [roll7]

Kallisti
2010-09-25, 12:41 PM
Liana raises her hands and calls forth her protective barrier. The Daeva snarls, stumbles back...and rights himself. "Filthy little heretic."

Round 3

Azi Dahaka, having shaken off Liana's spell--though only barely--forces his way through the shimmering golden light to stand before the undaunted archer. With an almost contemptuous swat, he strikes Ellenin withg crushing force--Liana recognizes the sickening snap of breaking ribs--but Ellenen holds his ground against the force of the blow and the sickening wash of energy that follows it.

Valathiel follows the Daeva forward, swinging his chain about in arcs, darting and feinting, occupying the Daeva's attention.

Ellenin and Lorkus' turn.

Map: http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Temporaryaccount_album/HealersTent3.png
Liana casts Repulsion, a spell which is more than double the size of my map. Assume for the moment that every square contains Repulsion. Every single one. (That spell is titanic...)

Azi Dahaka advances to C8. Valathiel's AoO hits for 15 damage.

40 damage to Ellenin from Azi Dahaka. Ellenin succeeds both saves.

Val's actions:
Nonaction: Knowledge Devotion. Knowledge (Religion) 34, granting +4 attack and damage.
Move: Move to C6.
Standard: Douse the Flames. 17 damage to Azi Dahaka and it cannot take Attacks of Opportunity until Val's next turn. Val's new granted maneuver: Cloak of Deception.

Azi Dahaka/Masjed Al-Talba: Nearly dead, Douse the Flames.
Valathiel: Init 14, 138/140 HP, Child of Shadow, Magic Circle Against Evil, Bless, Knowledge Devotion +4 (Azi Dahaka).
--Chrenepsys: Init 14, 140/140 HP, Bless, Magic Circle Against Evil.
Ellenin: Init 13, 50/85 HP, Bless, Magic Circle Against Evil, -4 to attacks, skills and abilities from the pain.
Lorkus: Init 9, 104/104 HP, Bless.
Sakhana: Init 7, Injured, Magic Circle Against Evil, Bless.
Liana: Init 2, HP 131/151, Magic Circle Against Evil (Center), Bless.
--Elle: Init 2, 59/59 HP, Magic Circle Against Evil (Center), Bless.

Magicyop
2010-09-25, 01:09 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus is pissed off. His powers so far have done nothing to the Daeva, and he hates to feel powerless. His eyes get a crazed look. He beats ineffectually on Masjed with his magic, wailing profanities and glowing with green light.

Noxious Blast again. [roll0] attack, [roll1] damage if it hits... and DC 27 fortitude save to avoid the nauseating. Spell Penetration check if I need it: [roll2]

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-25, 01:24 PM
Liana

Watching the Deava pass her by Liana knew her spell had failed, and withdrew it, lest it impede her allies. However she couldn't get to Ellenen to help him, so she is forced to expend a higher spell to help.

--------------
Mass Cure Serious Wounds: [roll0] to everyone except enemies. Also add a further +5HP to everyone because I forgot Healer's Hands on the Mass CLW.

Elle's charge:
[roll1] // [roll2]
[roll3] // [roll4]
[roll5] // [roll6]
[roll7] // [roll8]

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-25, 09:08 PM
Val

In the midst of the chaos of battle the elven knight's face alights with a realization.

"Wait, Azi Dahaka doesn't use magical powers! This is a fake! Capture it!" he yells before leaping to the offensive.

When it's my turn,

Swift action: Sudden Leap 10 feet (auto-successful with a Jump bonus of 23), adjacent to Azi Dahaka wherever he'll be when his turn ends. If I have to jump 15' to get within range I will, but it'll require a roll.

Free action: Expend a turning attempt to gain a second swift action.

Swift action: Defensive Rebuke. If I hit Azi Dahaka this round he can only attack me or risk generating an AoO.

Standard action: Mountain Hammer, and I am dealing nonlethal damage with this attack: [roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] nonlethal damage, overcoming all DR and Hardness.

(-4 to hit for dealing nonlethal damage, +4 for using Devoted Spirit and Shadow Hand maneuvers (Discipline Weapon), + 1 Bless and +4 Knowledge Devotion. And +4 damage from Shadow Blade (Shadow Hand stance and weapon) and +4 Knowledge Devotion.)

Magicyop
2010-09-25, 09:16 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus screws up his face. "WHAT?! Are you NUTS, Val?! Where are you getting this information? This is clearly NOT the real Masjed-al-Talba, unless you think that Masjed is a powerful demon who can shoot lightning from his mouth. We've confirmed it like three times-- he bought my lies about yesterday, tested as strongly evil to Liana, and as a demon for Ellenin. AND Jah Anb An knew about this somehow. Give me ONE credible reason why we don't need to smoke this demon before he kills us ALL!"

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-25, 09:37 PM
Val

The elf bristles. "The same source I get all my religious knowledge, Wee Jas! She granted my prayer of recollection: Shadhalian lore clearly states Azi Dahaka lacks the inherent magic of other Daevas. So this must be some other demon and I want to find out who."

Magicyop
2010-09-25, 09:44 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus folds his arms while hovering up and down. "No. I'm not buying it. How can you be sure you're not mistaken? So you think this is some other random Daeva? Even if it is, we're not going to learn anything from it. If you really desire I'll warp its mind and make it talk before we spill its blood. If capture proves to be too difficult, I am making a command decision AS YOUR LEADER that we should nonetheless kill it. I'll allow a moment for us to attempt to incapacitate it, but I refuse to put our lives and the lives of innocents at risk to appease your curiosity, Val."

Simba
2010-09-26, 09:24 AM
Ellenin

Taking a few running steps backwards to avoid being hit by his enemy, Ellenin fires again, trusting his ability to use his bow in close quarters.

attack 1: damage: : [roll0] + [roll1] + [roll2]
attack 2: damage: : [roll3] + [roll4] + [roll5]
attack 3: damage: : [roll6] + [roll7] + [roll8]

Simba
2010-09-26, 09:25 AM
attack 1: [roll0]
attack 2: [roll1]
attack 3: [roll2]

Kallisti
2010-09-26, 10:57 AM
Ellenin fires three arrows into Masjed-Al-Talba, who topples onto the sand. Smoke, thick and sapphire, begins to issue from his mangled hands and feet. It coalesces into a crouching form above the corpse of the High Priest, with three serpentine heads. In its hand, it clutches a shard of glass etched with a geometric arabesque. "So ends the Church of Ahura Mazda. How...predictable." With a wicked cackle, it crumbles, sand whirling off, threading its way through the Bazaar on the wings of a phantom zephyr.

Sakhana stares, unbelieving, at the body of Al-Talba. "Masjed..."

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-26, 11:09 AM
Liana dives over to Masjed. Placing a hand on his head and the other on his chest she begins to mutter under her breath.

"If anyone has anything beyond the obvious Deava related matter to ask of Masjed's corpse I suggest you get thinking. It'll know everything he knew when he died."

Kallisti
2010-09-26, 11:20 AM
Sakhana stares in disbelief. "No! You will not profane his corpse!"

She pulls out a crossbow and aims it at you. her hands are shaking like leaves in the wind.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-26, 11:52 AM
Liana stops her chants but doesn't remove her hands.

"If you know anything of me I would hope you know I would never commit any act of magical profanity. If we hope to defeat the Deava we need as much information as possible, and since The high priest was the only one to see anything before he was claimed, he is who we need to ask.

I am not disturbing his soul; which will have passed on by now, merely seeking knowledge of how to try and prevent further deaths by questioning the duplicate memories stored within this dead form.

I have sworn oaths to not harm an innocent as I know you are, so do not take this as a threat, but if I have to repulse you non-violently to get the information that is necessary I will.

She keeps her eyes locked on Sakhana, determined but not threateningly.

Kallisti
2010-09-26, 11:59 AM
"I...very well." She turns and leaves.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-26, 12:05 PM
Val also was staring silently, not at the corpse of the High Priest but at the hateful spirit that had possessed him before fleeing into the wind. He was about to say "Too late" or something to that effect when he noticed the crossbow Sakhana pointed at his teammate. The knight swiftly interposed himself in front of the weapon.

"Please put down your weapon, we mean no disrespect. We are strangers here and do not know your ways for handling the dead. As Liana said we simply seek to speak with his body about the creature that possessed him."

"I am a cleric of the Goddess of the Dead worshiped in our lands, she would strike me down were I to knowingly violate the dead. But if you'll permit me I will offer prayers and offerings to Wee Jas for Masjed Al-Talba's soul."

I'd like another Knowledge or Lore check, taking 11, on that three-headed serpent thing.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-26, 12:09 PM
Liana

Sighing with relief (because she reeeeeally didn't want to cast against a fellow healer) Liana turns her attention back to her spell and her teammates.

"You get seven questions and they need to be specific, but that's not my forte, any ideas? I'll patch you all up afterwards.

With that she continues muttering.

----------
Cast Speak With Dead.

Magicyop
2010-09-26, 07:40 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus stands in disbelief. It happened too quick, there was no way to stop it... yet he should have heeded Val's warning. He sends a regretful glance at Val, then bows his head and looks at Masjed al-Talba's corpse.

"We were played for fools. And by who?" He narrows his eyes. "Jah Anb An. He won't escape. I knew something was fishy with that man."

He shakes his head. "After we complete our task here, we must head to Jah Anb An and stop him escaping, and find out what is really at work here. The existence of another Daeva beside Azi Dahaka is bad news. Liana... perhaps you should ask the following: 'What is the Golden Palace of Zahadran?', and 'Did you recognize what happened before you were possessed?"

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-26, 09:52 PM
Val shakes his head in sadness mixed with confusion. "We were indeed, and whoever did it really is not well-versed in Shadhalian Lore, or they didn't think we are. Azi Dahaka's supposed to be a gigantic fiend, not human-sized and not one to spin parlour tricks like vanishing in a sandstorm. Very strange."

"Another question to ask is whether the body knows the name of the fiend that possessed him. Or you could descride Jan Abh An to him, Lorkus, hopefully it will recognize him, or for that matter if it knows what that geometric glass is that the fiend was holding when it fled."

"I have a question of my own to ask my deity so while you're doing this I'll start my incantations."

The knight produces from his cloak a large, red hunk of incense that smells of cherry blossoms, makes a place for himelf to sit down in the tent and offer it to Wee Jas, with prayers for the poor old man they'd unfortunately helped kill.

Will be casting Divination, I'll have a question posted soon.

Simba
2010-09-28, 02:04 AM
Ellenin

Lorkus
"What is the Golden Palace of Zahadran?"

Lorkus
"Did you recognize what happened before you were possessed?"

"The first question is fine, but the answer to the second question is simply 'yes' or 'no'. Maybe we should rephrase it."

Simba
2010-09-28, 07:01 AM
Ellenin

"This pattern here, on this piece of glass, does it remind you of something? It looks just like the thing we received this morning, the brass decanter."

Magicyop
2010-09-28, 07:06 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus freezes, thinking back. The expression on his face grows grim. "You're... you're right. Who has that? Bring it out, and swift, I shall determine if there is any magic within it."

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-28, 04:05 PM
Val

While everyone is discussing the decanter and the arabesque pattern, he suddenly notices an odd weight in a fold of his cloak. He reaches in and pulls out whatever it is.

Kallisti
2010-09-28, 04:19 PM
Valathiel pulls the brass decanter from his pocket with the ominous certainty that it wasn't there a moment ago.

Magicyop
2010-09-28, 04:38 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus growls. A look at Val's face tells him that this was unexpected. "It's almost like it knew we were talking about it..."

He shakes his head and mumbles to himself, and his eyes begin to glow scarlet. He stares at the decanter worriedly.

-----
Using my warlock class feature to Detect Magic.

Magicyop
2010-09-28, 04:44 PM
Lorkus

After a moment, Lorkus blinks and his eyes return to normal. "That's odd. The decanter is completely nonmagical. There isn't even a shred of power in it, it's just a normal decanter. Val, are you sure you didn't just pick up the decanter by accident this morning?"

Kallisti
2010-10-03, 12:48 AM
1. What is the Golden Palace of Zahadran?
2. What happened when that creature possessed you?
3. What is the name or identity of the creature who possessed you?
4. What do you know of Jan Abh An? (Adding a description of him if necessary.)
5. What is the significance of this geometric arabesque pattern?
6. Same question about this brass decanter with that pattern?
7. Where is the Golden Palace of Zahadran?

The last one I added myself.

"The Golden Palace is the palace of Ardishir, caliph of the ancient city of Zahadran. When it possessed me, I was frozen, and I felt...something...brush my mind; the rest is a blur. It was Azi Dahaka. Jah Anb An is a local merchant, a seller of curios and bizarre and exotic goods; there is something strange about him, but he seems harmless. I do not know the pattern. I have never seen that decanter, although Jah Anb An is known for his collection of similar items. The Golden Palace of Zahadran is in the desert somewhere, lost beneath the sands."

EDIT: And the answer to Divination ("How shall we find and defeat the creature that possessed Masjed?")

"Go to the site of the 'dragon attack' and follow the Daeva to the Palace. Burn the bridge. While you still can."

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-03, 01:44 AM
Val doesn't answer until his prayers and divinations are completed, but he's gone wide-eyed when he does finish.

"Yes I am sure, I did not pick it up and I didn't see anyone else take it, he says then shakes his head. "But we haven't much time, we have to hurry to the site of 'the dragon's attack' which apparently is where the Golden Palace is located, if we're to catch the Daeva--and there was something in there about burning a bridge. Huh... Everyone thinks that was the Daeva, but why was it so different from the lore?" he trails off toward the end there.

((OOC: By the way, did the halfling woman accompany me here?))

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-03, 02:49 AM
Liana bows her head as the spell ends.

"Thank you Masjed-Al-Talba, may your soul find peace in the worlds beyond our own."

She closes his eyes and sees to the immediate customs of the area before turning his body back over to Sakhana.

"Thank you Lady Sakhana, is there anything I can do before we continue our work? Are you injured?

Ad Liana speaks there are tears fighting against her to be free, that particular spell always had a profound effect on her; by using it it guaranteed that the person was definitely dead, meaning she had failed in her duty (not directly usually, but the life of a Healer is not always pleasant, often filled with doubt and self recrimination).

-----------
Know (Religion) for their customs: I know you can't take 10 but I can't access sheets atm, but I should have at least full ranks so hopefully that's enough to know some basic post-mortem customs.

Magicyop
2010-10-03, 08:03 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus nods sadly. "Questions, answers, questions, answers... It seems our next move is to visit Jah Anb An. In addition to everything else, he might be able to tell us about the decanter."

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-03, 04:48 PM
Val wanted to reach out and offer Liana a consoling hug but he knew better, so instead gave her a pat on the shoulder. "Come, there is nothing more for you here. Let us go and get the devil who caused this," he says trying to be reassuring.

"And that is a good place to start," he nods to Lorkus. "We also have Lyndesty, the guide Lady Ala'Ghaliya offered us, waiting outside. Shall I return her to her mistress, or to our inn to prepare for our departure?"

Magicyop
2010-10-03, 09:51 PM
Lorkus

After a moment of thought, Lorkus says, "Lead her to the inn. We'll meet up with her after questioning Jah Anb An."

Kallisti
2010-10-04, 10:09 PM
When you exit the tent, you find Lyndesty and one of the healers in a whispered argument. She looks up as you come out. "There they are. I told you they'd be fine. Wanderers, greetings. Malir here wanted us to rush in to your rescue, but we'd just have been underfoot. I did send one of the healers as a runner, though--the Emir should have heard about the battle by now. I heard you talking with...Masjed? Was that his spirit answering the questions? Anyway, where next?"

Simba
2010-10-05, 01:16 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin is quiet all through the duration of the spell, his eyes sad about what he sees as desecration. It was necessary to prevent greater evil, but it still doesn't sit right with him.

Magicyop
2010-10-05, 05:51 PM
Lorkus

"This way, everyone. Jah Anb An has a tent just north of the market. Avoiding flying, Lorkus begins to lead the party back to Jah Anb An.

Kallisti
2010-10-05, 08:36 PM
Soon enough you have crossed the Bazaar and reached the white pavilion of Jah Anb An. The tattered cloth flutters in the wind like a dozen white doves circling, and one of the poles is cracked, causing the entire tent to lean upon one side.

Magicyop
2010-10-05, 08:41 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus puts his head in his hands. "I was expecting something like this. We cannot let this be for nothing." He turns himself invisible and carefully, watching for danger, proceeds into the tent.

Kallisti
2010-10-05, 08:47 PM
Jah Anb An's wares are scattered around the floor of the tent, his cushions torn to shreds and many of his bottles, vases, and decanters smashed into tiny fragments. Lying in the center of the tent is Jah Anb An himself, blood staining his white finery crimson.

Magicyop
2010-10-05, 08:52 PM
Lorkus

"Dangit!" Lorkus curses and rushes to Jah Anb An's side. "LIANA! LIANA, GET IN HERE QUICKLY!" He feels Jah Anb An's heart, searching for signs of life.

------
Lorkus will make a heal check, pointless, but it makes sense. If I fail, I assume Liana will succeed. This is mainly to see if Jah Anb An is alive, and to... try and save him if so? Odds are Lorkus will fail, but I assume Liana will make the same check momentarily and succeed.
[roll0]

Kallisti
2010-10-05, 09:07 PM
Jah Anb An stares up at you, eyes bright with pain. "Heh...Wanderer. It seems I dared to greatly in doing what I would. I leave you this legacy: one last riddle. Figure it out; you'll be glad you did. Or perhaps not...heh..." His eyes close, and the entire tent shimmers. The tent, the ruined cushions and shattered bottles and goods strewn over the floor crumble into sand, covering Jah Anb An's body--and all of you--in a thin, dusty shroud.

Magicyop
2010-10-05, 09:14 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus closes his eyes grimly. "I... I don't understand anything about this man. What is he talking about? What riddle has he given us?" He crouches next to Jah Anb An for a moment. "He knew things. Things that it was impossible for him to know. He seemed to me like something... more. And yet it seems Azi Dahaka has destroyed him with ease." He begins to rise into the air. "His words, and his knowledge, may yet be the key to this whole thing. And he's another person to avenge, in addition to Masjed. Does anyone know what he means? What riddle has he given us?"

Simba
2010-10-06, 01:41 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin stays outside the tent, looking out for danger, bow in hand.

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-06, 04:47 PM
Val

After escorting Lyndesty to our inn to prepare for our departure, he arrives too late to Jan Anb An's tent, or the pile of sand that's left of it.

"Oh my..." he sighs surveying the scene, and offers a prayer to Wee Jas for the merchant's departed soul. "Well, I'm not sure what his riddle was, but I do have a question. What's with the dissolving sands? At first, when the creature claiming to be Azi Dahaka did it to escape, I thought it was just a trick, but now all of Jan Anb An's belongings do it, too? I think that's rather odd."

Magicyop
2010-10-09, 08:28 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus turns towards Val. "According to Masjed, it was indeed Azi Dahaka... and you're right, that *is* strange..." He picks up a handful of sand and sifts it through his fingers. "But what could that mean? Do you think Azi Dahaka came here and killed Jah Anb An? At most, we must have been only a minute or two behind him, assuming he came right here."

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-10, 11:55 AM
Liana looks over the body.

"I can't revive them, the magic won't come.

----------------
I'm not spending the XP on NPCs, sorry. I can Speak With Dead again if you like, that's free.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-14, 07:51 AM
Liana

"What now guys?"

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-14, 03:27 PM
Val replies to Lorkus, "It's only an uneducated guess, but I think the desert sands are some kind of instrument or focus for this 'Azi Dahaka.' You're right, it had hardly any time to kill Jan Anb An just now, but what if he had killed him earlier and made a duplicate of him and his shop out of the sands? That would be very powerful magic indeed."

Then, answering Liana, he adds, "Is there anyone else we can talk with about this, maybe an expert on desert lore? None of this is matching up with what I know, and I'd feel more comfortable going out into our enemy's turf if I had a better idea of what to expect."

Simba
2010-10-15, 12:58 AM
Ellenin

"We need more information, that's for sure. Any ideas who to ask?"

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-18, 09:05 AM
Liana

"I can talk to a scorpion or something if you like."

From anyone else this would sound sarcastic, though in her bell-like voice it seems like a sincere suggestion.

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-19, 12:41 PM
Val gives Liana a half-puzzled, half-amused look. "Uh, if you think that would help, then by all means..." says the knight before adding, "But, well, call me speciest but I was thinking more along the lines of a human expert. Didn't we get a note from a self-described 'old storyteller' along with all the other audience requests this morning?"

Magicyop
2010-10-19, 01:50 PM
Lorkus
"Yes, I do believe you're right. I think it was mentioned that he was at the southern edge of the marketplace, and we don't have many other options." Lorkus hovers about a foot from the ground and begins to float to the south end of the market.

Simba
2010-10-20, 12:48 AM
Ellenin

"Sounds like an option. Let's check it out!"

Kallisti
2010-10-21, 12:41 AM
(I'm going to assume Ellenin and Lorkus just go. Everyone else is assumed to have followed, but will conveniently remain silent until the player either confirms or denies this--I imagine at least one person will want to say "No, I go met the Emir.")

At the edge of the Market you find a rich emerald-green awning with a golden carpet beneath it. Relaxing on it, surrounded by pitchers of fine wine and small plates of delicacies, is a stunningly handsome young man. He lies back, eyes closed, grinning slyly at the sky. As you approach he levers himself onto his elbows, his eyes remaining shut. "What is this I hear? The slip and slither of feet sliding across the silvery sand? Why, you must be the Wanderers, as I've already chased off the children--they were late for their lessons--and nobody else has so much as a kind word for poor Aquil Fatine when he's not performing. Such a lonely life, that of a performer, and so tragic and plagued with poverty and hardship." His grin widens. "Yet we soldier on somehow, we few, we merry few. So. Will you take wine? Or only water? Please, sit, eat--there is far too much for one storyteller, at least if he wishes to retain his ravishing slenderness. Tell me. What can a humble wandering minstrel do for you? I'm sure you have questions as innumerable as these inchoate sands, and I'd relish the chance to ask you a few in my turn."

Magicyop
2010-10-21, 06:46 AM
Lorkus

"Hmm. No offense, Mr. Fatine, but your letter lead me to believe that you were much... older." He sits, but declines the food and drink. "I am sorry, but we have an important matter to discuss. Very strange things are happening, and we need someone with knowledge of tales to sort some things out for us." He produces the strange decanter. "Do you recognize this?"

Kallisti
2010-10-21, 03:17 PM
"'Twas mere hyperbole, nothing more, although I am significantly older than my youthful, seraphic features might lead one to believe." He takes the decanter from your hand, without opening his eyes, and runs a finger along it. "Fascinating. Truly an intriguing little riddle you have here. The pattern graven on the side matches the one on the walls of the Golden Palace of Zahadran in the only surviving image of that once-grand place. Now, the accuracy of a painting is, no doubt, less than iron-solid, but still...it is such a perfect match." He opens the decanter and retrieves a small roll of parchment, handing it to Lorkus. "Don't tell me you didn't even bother to open it?"

Magicyop
2010-10-21, 09:19 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus passes a hand on front of his eyes and stares in sullen silence at the paper for a moment. "....lack of sleep." He thinks for a moment. "The Golden Palace of Zahadran... it just keeps cropping up. Let's get to that in a moment." He takes the scroll of paper, and preparing himself for anything, unrolls it and stares at the parchment.

Kallisti
2010-10-22, 02:36 AM
The paper reads, in golden ink:

Jah
Anb
An

The other side is blank.

Magicyop
2010-10-22, 07:02 AM
Lorkus

"Oh... oh my." Lorkus stares at the paper for a moment, then pinches his forehead. "It just keeps coming back around... there's something else at work here. But I suppose this brings me to another thing you may be able to help us clear up-- What do you know of Jah Anb An, the trinket seller up on the north side of the marketplace?"

To the side, he mutters to Ellenin, "Ellenin, please go talk to Maliq. Find out who gave us that decanter, which note it came with."

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-22, 08:20 AM
((Hell I'll go see the emir to keep things going, sorry for delayed posting))

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-22, 01:46 PM
((For the record Val will also go to see the emir.))

Kallisti
2010-10-22, 06:03 PM
(Val and Liana)

You return to the healer's tent, and find the Emir deep in conversation with Sakhana. It's obvious that he's numb, devastated. "So he was right. There is a demon. I shouldn't have dismissed his claim, I should have posted guards...I should have been there. Perhaps I could have saved him; if he was possessed, there must have been some magic to dispel the demon. I should have been there..."

Simba
2010-10-24, 01:01 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin stands, bows to the storyteller, then runs off towards where he expects to find Maliq.

Kallisti
2010-10-24, 04:23 AM
Maliq looks up at Ellenin as he comes dashing in. "What? Is something wrong?"

Simba
2010-10-24, 04:36 AM
Ellenin

"Please excuse my haste. Could you please tell me who sent us that decanter, the one with the curious markings? It could be important."

Kallisti
2010-10-24, 04:39 AM
"The boy who brought it never gave his name, but he said he was a runner from Jah Anb An."

Simba
2010-10-24, 04:53 AM
Ellenin

"Jah Anb An, you say? Thank you, this might prove useful."

Ellenin bows quickly, then runs back to the others. When the oportunity comes to tell Lorkus, Ellenin quietly says: "The boy who brought the gift said he was sent by Jah Anb An."

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-24, 05:06 AM
Liana coughs slightly to make their presence known and bows as she enters the tent.

"If you had posted guards they would likely be dead now too. Is there anything you can tell us to aid in our removal of it or about the symbol it bore?"

---------------
I think I saw the symbol, so I'll describe it.

Magicyop
2010-10-24, 05:58 AM
Lorkus

"Why would... uh..." Lorkus scratches his head. "Why would Jah Anb An send us a decanter... with his name written on a note inside?"

He turns to the storyteller and continues. "What do you know about Jah Anb An, on the north side of the market?"

Simba
2010-10-24, 06:01 AM
Ellenin

... once more settled down beside Lorkus, but his senses are tuned to the world around them, watching for signs of danger or for unseen lurkers interested in the conversation.

Kallisti
2010-10-24, 01:53 PM
Lorkus

"Why would... uh..." Lorkus scratches his head. "Why would Jah Anb An send us a decanter... with his name written on a note inside?"

He turns to the storyteller and continues. "What do you know about Jah Anb An, on the north side of the market?"

"He's a strange one, that. There's all sorts of rumors about him--he's a wicked sorcerer, he's Caliph Ardishir in disguise and returned from the dead, he's a banished prince from the City of Brass, he's a wizard's experiment that killed its creator and ran away. Personally, my favorite theory is that it's all of the above--not particularly likely, of course, but it would make for quite the story. Nobody knows for sure what his story is--well, except Jah Anb An himself, but he's not telling. He is well-known for his fondness for riddles and puzzles of all sorts; it's long been his policy that anyone who pleases can challenge him to a contest of wits, and if they win...he gives them something from his shop. No telling what it'll be, but the allure of winning an enchanted item of their very own has lured many of the townsfolk to his pavilion time and time again. As far as I know, Lady Ala'Ghaliya is the only one to have bested him."

"If you had posted guards they would likely be dead now too. Is there anything you can tell us to aid in our removal of it or about the symbol it bore?"

"I...I've never heard of such a symbol. Perhaps Aquil would know, or Jade."

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-24, 07:08 PM
Val

"If one of them is the tale-teller who contacted us earlier, he's being interviewed as we speak.

"One other question, Emir: have you ever heard of a creature that could shape the desert sands into objects and even melding into sand? That has happened twice today with the fiend who possessed poor Masjed."

Kallisti
2010-10-25, 12:46 AM
"If one of them is the tale-teller who contacted us earlier, he's being interviewed as we speak.

"One other question, Emir: have you ever heard of a creature that could shape the desert sands into objects and even melding into sand? That has happened twice today with the fiend who possessed poor Masjed."

"Tale-teller? That would be Aquil. As for the sand...I've heard of such magic. The Empire of Zahadran was famed for it."

Magicyop
2010-10-25, 06:49 AM
Lorkus

"Interesting. One last question. What do you know of Azi Dahaka, and what do you know of the Golden Palace of Zahadran?"

Kallisti
2010-10-25, 02:11 PM
"Azi Dahaka? Little enough--he is the Midnight Storm, the Terrible Daeva of the Razor Winds, The Emir of Etcetera. According to legend, he's tall as a giant, possessed of three heads, and foregoes the magic and trickery common to the Daeva for sheer might--in one legend, when confronted with a mountain range too high for him to safely fly above, he simply tore the range apart, stone by stone.

But Zahadran, now? That's a story I know well. Where should I begin?"

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-25, 05:53 PM
Val replies to the Emir,

"I see. All signs seem to be pointing at Zahadran, though I still think it strange that a legendary brute like Azi Dahaka would use such trickery.

"Nevertheless, if Zahadran's forces wield that kind of power, in a desert, it's a wonder that they were ever defeated--and no wonder that Ahura Mazda's high priest would be targeted at the start of all this. I've no doubt we'll need his divine assistance before this is all over."

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-26, 06:07 AM
Liana

"My knowledge of this areas history is embarrassingly limited, is there a reliquary of Zahadran; a place where the knowledge of sand-shaping would have been and where this creature might be based? Perhaps a the remains of a capital or something like that?"

Kallisti
2010-10-26, 02:14 PM
"Defeated? They were never defeated. The empire crumbled after the capital city vanished a thousand years ago. As for a reliquary...Masjed would have known. Ask Aquil or Jade. Or Sakhana."

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-27, 02:06 PM
Val

"I was not aware of that about the capitol and how they collapsed, but if that's the key, if everything hinges on the Golden Palace of Zahadran, that only makes our mission all the more urgent. Sakhana we are acquainted with, Aquil too I believe, but who is Jade?"

Kallisti
2010-10-27, 04:39 PM
"She's our local schoolteacher. A very intelligent woman, and she speaks the language beautifully for a foreigner."

Simba
2010-10-28, 12:41 AM
Ellenin

"I talked to her already, but not about this topic. One of her pupils even asked me to be show-and-tell tomorrow."

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-28, 04:40 AM
Liana looks at Sakhana.

"Can you tell us anything?" We need to move as soon as possible, lest more people share your grief."

Kallisti
2010-10-28, 02:46 PM
"I'm afraid I know little enough about the history of Zahadran. But if there were a great Library or Archive, it would have been in the City of Zahadran itself."

Dacia Brabant
2010-10-29, 08:58 PM
Val

"And that is where we must go."

"Now if you'll excuse me, unless there's anything else we should know, I'm going to check our status for departure."

((OOC: My activity's going to be off and on this coming week so if anything comes up and I haven't checked in, just assume Val went to the inn.))

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-02, 01:40 PM
Liana

"Agreed. I am truly sorry we have not met in better circumstances."

She bows and leaves with Val.

Kallisti
2010-11-02, 04:12 PM
Maliq looks up as you enter. "Everything all right?"

Magicyop
2010-11-04, 09:09 PM
Lorkus
"Start at the beginning. And spare no details on anything having to do with Azi Dahaka or any of the Daeva.

Kallisti
2010-11-04, 10:37 PM
"Very well.

Several thousand years ago--possibly even longer--Zurvan, the Father of Gods, stood alone in an endless void. How he manages this when several thousand years ago--or possibly even longer--a veritable parade of other purported creator deities stood alone in an endless void is a mystery that our local theologians long since gave up on answering, largely since I am one of three people in this town who even knows the name Zurvan--the rest of the world forgot him long ago. Alone in his endless void, Zurvan wished for nothing so much as company, so he wrought from his own substance two sons, Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu. And Ahura Mazda possessed the gift of creation, and from the void he caused a great flood to spring, and trapped it in a crystal sphere, and from the waters of the flood rose the Earth, and the crystal sphere became the sky. In the earth he planted the Saena Tree. Its seeds spread and from them did all the plants come, and beneath their branches he placed the animals and the humanoid races, who stared in wonder at the world their God had wrought for them--unless of course you happen to be an Elf, in which case Corellon Larethien planted the tree, or a gnoll or an orc or a halfling or gnome or in fact anything but a human from our lonely, forsaken pile of sand. Ahura Mazda created the Amesha, a host of winged immortals tasked with protecting that which was living, and everything that was good. But Angra Mainyu saw what Ahura Mazda had wrought, and Angra Mainyu had in him the essence of destruction, and he crafted blistering heat, and pestilence and winters that chill to the bone and freeze crops into mocking crystal statues, and he created the Daeva, and tasked them to unmake everything Ahura Mazda had created and undo everything he had done. And he crafted Azi Dahaka to serve as a general of his armies, and was pleased, for Azi Dahaka was the most vicious and cruel of all his generals. And so the hosts of The Maker and The Unmaker waged a vast, cruel war, devastating in their battles Heaven, Earth, and Hell. But with the help of the sons he had wrought from his own substance, Mithra and Atar, Ahura Mazda was triumphant, and forced the Daeva across the Chinvat Bridge into Hell, and sealed the gate behind them, leaving them bound a prison that was meant to last an eternity.

Two thousand years ago, in a tiny, insignificant backwater town known as Zahadran, was born an infant named Ardishir. But Ardishir was no ordinary infant--stories of his origin abound, the one I like best being that he was sired by the Caliph of the City of Brass, who had seen the beautiful brassy sheen of his mother's hair and heard the beautiful brassy clarion of her voice, and offered her three wishes for a lock of her hair and a song. And she wished that he would stay with her, and be her husband until death did them part. And so he stayed with her for three years, and their son Ardishir was born, and the Caliph murdered the mayfly human who would dare attempt to cage him and left his infant son to the mercy of the sand and the sun.

And, whatever the truth of his birth or the source of his strength, Ardishir became a great mage, and from a throne of sculpted sand at the center of Zahadran he conquered an empire. He taught his art to any mage who would swear fealty to his throne, and the Caliphate or Zahadran grew tumescent with the gold and blood of the conquered peoples, and grew indolent on the fruits of the mages' workings. And then one day the Golden City with its Golden Palace and Golden Caliph vanished, without a trace, leaving the Golden Caliphate without its mages and at the mercy of the conquered peoples whose sweat and blood and bones had built a kingdom for the son of the Lord of the Burning City.

That's the short of it. There's about two thousand years of history--wars and peaces and trials and tribulations--that I glossed over. Not to mention the Fall of Zahadran after the disappearance of the Golden City, which took a good two hundred and some years. Ardishir had a number of successors, none of whom ever sat the Throne of Zahadran, it having inconveniently vanished and taken the capital city with it.

As for the palace itself? There is little enough to tell. It sat at the center of the City of Zahadran, and in a city of opulence and excess it stood like a giant in the playground, towering in both height and expense above the rest of the Golden City--no small feat, as the name is no misnomer. The streets of Zahadran were paved with turquoise, and fountains of molten gold stood in every square.

But Azi Dahaka...well, there are plenty of stories. But I imagine you'd prefer to hear the short version, as it's the Daeva that interests you, not his sordid history.

He is one of the generals of Angra Mainyu's armies--not the mightiest, but the most vicious, and by far the most ambitious. He towers thirty feet tall, and eschews the magic and the trickery of many Daeva in favor of descending from the heavens riding a storm cloud, tearing and maiming with the powerful jaws of his three serpentine heads. He was the last of the Daeva to be forced across the Chinvat Bridge, and to this day stands before the Gate, howling and clawing impotently at the barrier that stands between him and the world he so longs to unmake.

Or so we thought. If Azi Dahaka truly has succeeded in opening the gate and crossing the Chinvat Bridge, that is dire news indeed...for Angra Mainyu will surely not be far behind, and if Ahura Mazda ever existed, he will no doubt have grown weak and frail in the thousand years he has been forgotten by all but a few."

Magicyop
2010-11-05, 07:35 AM
Lorkus

Lorkus sits and thinks while he mulls the tale over. Finally, he leans forward. "Very interesting. Are there tales of the Golden Palace being the prison of the Daeva? Because," he says carefully, recalling what Liana had mentioned about Masjed's comments. "I have heard some tales to that effect before."

Simba
2010-11-05, 10:05 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin listens to the story intently, then sits back to hear the questions the others no doubt would ask.

Kallisti
2010-11-05, 05:05 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus sits and thinks while he mulls the tale over. Finally, he leans forward. "Very interesting. Are there tales of the Golden Palace being the prison of the Daeva? Because," he says carefully, recalling what Liana had mentioned about Masjed's comments. "I have heard some tales to that effect before."

"The Golden Palace? The prison? No. Not possible--the palace wasn't built until thousands of years after the Caging.

Unless...the Daeva couldn't cross the Chinvat Bridge, but they could be summoned. Perhaps that's why Zahadran disappeared? The Caliph, in his arrogance, touched lore never meant for the eyes of mortal men, and unsealed the Gate?

An interesting thought..."

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-06, 07:52 AM
Liana allows herself a smile even in this dark moment, Sakhana's story was nearly identical to that of Pelor and The Burning Hate, siblings wrought to counter one another. If there wasn't absolute proof that all of these Gods existed, she might find this similarity suspicious, as if everyone just took the same story and added their own slant.

"So our priority must be to seal this gate if it has opened. Where did the palace used to be? Maybe there will be something still there, hidden and preserved by magic or simple good fortune."

Dacia Brabant
2010-11-06, 05:14 PM
Maliq looks up as you enter. "Everything all right?"

"Forgive the continued intrusions, but there have been some disturbances this day. I'm sure you've heard rumors of that already. The truth is that both the high priest, Masjed, and the merchant Jah Anb An are dead and we believe a Daeva is responsible. Terrible news, I know, but we're going to pursue it straight away and see justice is done upon it.

"And that's why I'm here now, to see that all our provisions and supplies will be ready to go today."

If Lyndesty is here, Val turns his attention to her. "Quite a day to sign on to go with us, eh? Well I'm glad we have your help. If you haven't already, could you send word to your mistress about all this? It looks like we won't be able to share that meal today."

Kallisti
2010-11-06, 07:19 PM
"I've been keeping Lady Ala'Ghaliya apprised. I plan to continue, so if there's something I ought to leave out, you should tell me." She blushes and covers her mouth. "Not to imply you'll be doing anything sordid...I just meant...well, you know, privacy and all..."

Dacia Brabant
2010-11-07, 03:27 PM
Val frowns a bit and shrugs.

"She's your employer, not me. I would certainly never hide anything from the high priestess of Wee Jas, not that I'd see any reason to, though I can't imagine she'd be much interested in idle gossip.

"And, in my experience, privacy is a luxury on the road."

Kallisti
2010-11-08, 05:50 PM
"So our priority must be to seal this gate if it has opened. Where did the palace used to be? Maybe there will be something still there, hidden and preserved by magic or simple good fortune."

"Nobody knows for sure. Somewhere in the desert near here. The sands shift, however--a map from the time of Zahadran will be worthless today."

Magicyop
2010-11-08, 09:21 PM
"Nobody knows for sure. Somewhere in the desert near here. The sands shift, however--a map from the time of Zahadran will be worthless today."

Lorkus

"Thank you so very much, Mr. Aquil. It has been a pleasure meeting you, and we appreciate all your information. One last thing before we go. We have heard, from you and from others, that Azi Dahaka is essentially a brute, with no powers over magic and no supernatural influence. Is there any situation or circumstance, in your opinion, when Azi Dahaka could and would exercise the ability to use magic?"

Lorkus mutters aside to Ellenin and Liana. "You know who probably would have had a map there? Jah Anb An. Ironic."

Kallisti
2010-11-08, 10:51 PM
"Could? Only if someone else gave it to him--he has no magic of his own. Would? For all his brutality he is by all accounts a cunning thing. He might. It would go against his character, but he might. May I ask why you ask? It is a very interesting question."

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-11, 11:27 AM
Liana

"Then we need to move on, this demon isn't going to get any less dangerous as time goes on. Maybe we can backtrace Jah Anb An's steps, find another place he might have kept some stuff, or find someone else who can help."

Magicyop
2010-11-15, 01:20 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus stares into space for a moment, not answering the question. Finally, he looks back at the storyteller. "Thank you for your help, Mister Aquil." He turns to Liana. "Masjed likely knew the location of the Golden Palace too. What if we tried to trace his trail back to this city?"

Simba
2010-11-18, 04:23 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin, knowing how hard it is to track someone in a desert, looks sceptical, but patiently awaits the answer.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-21, 04:56 PM
Simba's right--tracking Masjed would be nearly impossible. However, he did give you directions to the site of the attack.

Then let's go there.

Kallisti
2010-11-21, 08:35 PM
You follow Masjed's directions as precisely as possible, traveling across waving dunes and billowing sand, like an ocean of golden dust. After over an hour of trekking through the oppressive heat of the desert, you come to the site of the ruined caravan. Silks lie scattered around the area, torn into ruined ribbons, and the spokes of the shattered wheel thrust up oddly through the surface of the sand, wooden fingers forever straining toward an unreachable sky. A cloud passes before the sun...no, not a cloud. There's something flying up there. Something big.

Dacia Brabant
2010-11-22, 07:15 PM
Val looks to the skies and reaches into one of his cloak pockets for his Potion of Flight (while cursing himself for not preparing Air Walk last night.)

Val is still in Aura of Perfect Order stance so his Spot check is 11.

His readied maneuvers are Cloak of Deception, White Raven Tactics, Defensive Rebuke, Law Bearer, Order Forged From Chaos, and Greater Insightful Strike. I figure you should probably be the one to determine the order in which they're granted.

Simba
2010-11-23, 12:37 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin readies his weapons and moves a few feet away from the rest of the group. Despite all this he tries to avoid looking like an attacker, more like someone ready to defend himself.

Magicyop
2010-11-23, 12:13 PM
Lorkus

Lorkus stares up at the sky, shading his eyes with his hand. "How much do you want to bet that's Azi Dahaka?" he mutters sardonically to Val.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-25, 05:04 AM
Liana

"See this is why I liked working on Pelorian missions, they focus on undead, not stupid Demons who aren't wounded by my healing".

----------------------------
Everyone can assume I fully healed them. If people tell me how much they needed I'll deduct the spells.

Elle is standing in the middle of the group so as many as possible benefit from Magic Circle Against Evil.

I'm at the back. Very much at the back.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-25, 05:06 AM
Liana

"See this is why I liked working on Pelorian missions, they focus on undead, not stupid Demons who aren't wounded by my healing".

----------------------------
Everyone can assume I fully healed them. If people tell me how much they needed I'll deduct the spells.

Elle is standing in the middle of the group so as many as possible benefit from Magic Circle Against Evil.

I'm at the back. Very much at the back.

Rawhide
2010-11-25, 10:37 AM
Bug fix post.

Kallisti
2010-11-25, 12:18 PM
The figure begins to descend, and you swiftly realize it had been much bigger and much higher than you'd thought. As it plummets towards you it soon blots out the sun, giving the eerie impression of a solar eclipse. The massive shadow soon passes from the sun onto the dunes before you--Azi Dahaka, a towering Daeva. His three jaws grin the same hyena-rictus, and he begins to advance.

Roll init. And Spot.

Kallisti
2010-11-30, 01:40 PM
With a mighty roar the Daeva lands. Battle is joined.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Temporaryaccount_album/DesertCaravan1.png

Everyone choose a starting square. You must be in Row 1-6. Also, everyone tell K-B how much healing you needed after that last fight so he can mark down spells.

The solid rectangles are caravans. The one on the left is missing two of its wheels, and the one on the right was overturned. The squares with brown spikes are difficult terrain because of shards of damaged caravan or ruined trade goods.
Init:
Valathiel:Init 17, HP 140/140
--Chrenepsys: Init 17, HP 140/140
Liana: Init 15, HP 151/151
--Elle: Init 15, HP 59/59
Lorkus: Init 14, HP 104/104
Azi Dahaka:Uninjured
Ellenin: Init 7, HP 85/85

Dacia Brabant
2010-11-30, 04:12 PM
"Die, Daeva! Your kind doesn't belong in this world!" Val shouts just before he vanishes from sight, reappearing a few moments later in front of Azi Dahaka after unleashing a terrible blow.

At the start of combat, I roll Knowledge Devotion against his creature type (I'm assuming Outsider), [roll0] to gain a static bonus to hit and damage against him.

I'll begin at J-1. As a swift action, I use Cloak of Deception to gain Greater Invisibility until the end of my turn. Then I'll burn a Turn Undead attempt to gain a second swift action, which I'll use to activate Law Devotion, gaining +6 to attack rolls for 1 minute. For my move action, I'll move to J-5, and for my standard action I'll attack with Greater Insightful Strike, taking 11 for my attack roll per Aura of Perfect Order: 11 + 26 (using maneuvers from both Devoted Spirit and Shadow Hand) = 37 to hit + Knowledge Devotion result.

If it hits, Greater Insightful Strike deals damage equal to x2 the result of my Concentration check: [roll1].

Simba
2010-12-01, 01:16 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin moves to cover, then fires 3 arrows at the Daeva in rapid succession.

Move 20' into square B4, ignoring any cover the daeva might get because of improved precise shot. Damage is good aligned, criticals automatically confirmed.
Attack 1: [roll0]
damage 1: [roll1] + [roll2]

Attack 2: [roll3]
damage 2: [roll4] + [roll5]

Attack 3: [roll6]
damage 3: [roll7] + [roll8]

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-02, 08:52 AM
Me: H4
Elle: L5

Liana steps back and takes a defensive position (Total Defence Action).

Elle moves forward to cover as many people as possible.

Kallisti
2010-12-07, 06:23 PM
Round 1
Seizing the initiative, Valathiel charges at the Daeva, vanishing, only to reappear sprawled on the sand in a nearby dune, battered but unbowed.

Liana, seeing that the Paladin is largely unhurt, backs off slightly, eyes fixed on the Daeva, ready to dance away from its deadly claws. Her companion Elle advances and stands firm, daring the Daeva to attack.

From his hiding spot atop the dunes, Lorkus launches into the air, gesturing. He gestures, and a beam of light springs from his hand and strikes the Daeva squarely, only to dissipate harmlessly. He murmers a curse. That felt...different. His invocation failed last time as well, but the feeling of resistance, of his magic dashing itself to pieces like a wave against a cliff, was different this time. Stronger, and, in some strange way, malevolent.

The Daeva roars and leaps into the air, snatching from the ground the buried, half-destroyed wagon that moments ago had only barely breached the sand. It lands with a resounding crash, spraying bits of ruined wood and leaving shattered planks thrusting up through the ground like spars in a graveyard of sunken ships. It opens one of its three mouths, and black lightning courses out and along the party, striking all but Lorkus.

Ellenin quickly sends three arrows humming through the air at the daeva, who dodges them with preternatural agility.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Temporaryaccount_album/DesertCaravan4.png

The solid rectangles are caravans. The one on the left is missing two of its wheels, and the one on the right was overturned. The squares with brown spikes are difficult terrain because of shards of damaged caravan or ruined trade goods.

The blue dot I added to Valathiel's square is Chrenepsys.

Everyone but Lorkus needs to make a DC 29 Reflex save or take [roll0] damage.
Init:
Valathiel:Init 17, HP 126/140, Steely Resolve 10, Prone
--Chrenepsys: Init 17, HP 140/140
Liana: Init 15, HP 151/151
--Elle: Init 15, HP 59/59
Lorkus: Init 14, HP 104/104
Azi Dahaka:Uninjured
Ellenin: Init 7, HP 85/85

Dacia Brabant
2010-12-08, 10:40 PM
Val, while severely injured by the blast, nevertheless gets back up on his feet, leaps next to Elle and unleashes the full length of his spiked chain at the Daeva.

Move action to stand up from prone, swift action to use Sudden Leap, taking 11 on the Jump check for a 34 vs. a DC of 30 for a standing jump of 15' to L4, then burn another Turn Undead attempt to gain a second swift action to activate Greatreach Bracers to gain +5' reach.

Finally, standard action to attack with Greater Insightful Strike: [roll0] (adding +2 from Furious Counterstrike and +2 from Knowledge Devotion, but -2 for not using a Shadow Hand maneuver this round), for [roll1] x2 damage.

I bet that missed. :smallsigh:

Simba
2010-12-09, 01:02 AM
Ellenin

Ellenin shudders under the massive amount of damage his body takes but shrugs it off in order to return some, with interest.

No rolls...I forgot the rolls...