PDA

View Full Version : Need help with staff of Simulacrum

monkey3
2010-07-16, 10:17 AM
So I was thinking about the spell Simulacrum. It's awesome, but the exp cost (1000 exp min) is back-breaking. There are SLA tricks (Runesmith), but for this post, lets say the DM insist you pay the exp.

So, how can we reduce the exp cost? One way I thought of, was to make a staff of Simulacrum, and use tricks (not too much cheese) to reduce the exp cost. Does this make sense? Has anyone gone through the work of doing this?

I am not experience with making magic items. What class/build would be good? How low can you get the exp cost without cheating (remember that feat that lowers item cost only lowers cost, and not exp)?

Darrin
2010-07-16, 03:41 PM
So, how can we reduce the exp cost? One way I thought of, was to make a staff of Simulacrum, and use tricks (not too much cheese) to reduce the exp cost. Does this make sense? Has anyone gone through the work of doing this?

Try a Wand of Summon Mirror Mephit (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits p. 209). Mirror Mephits get simulacrum as an SLA 1/day.

ericgrau
2010-07-16, 03:51 PM
While I could comment on the results of using summons / calling to SLA all kinds of crazy spells for free (leading to infinite anything and a DMG flying across the table), the mirror mephit only has a caster level of 8. So that only works for so long.

The standard way to deal with xp costs is accelerated xp gains for being a level behind. As long as you stay 1 level behind the rest of the party, you get more xp from every encounter. That translates into an unlimited source of free experience to spend on spells and crafting. Generally what you get is well worth being a level behind (and helps you contribute more to the fight too even at your level). So instead of trying to work around it just try whatever you want without worrying about it. Maybe pick up a crafting feat to keep it going. But do preserve your investment: don't send simulacrums to their death nor stack on too many permanencies at once when 1 dispel might some day wipe them all, etc.

arguskos
2010-07-16, 03:54 PM
The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0) is here to Solve Your Problems!(TM of Sam and Fuzzy)

The Shadowmind
2010-07-16, 04:09 PM
While I could comment on the results of using summons / calling to SLA all kinds of crazy spells for free (leading to infinite anything and a DMG flying across the table), the mirror mephit only has a caster level of 8. So that only works for so long.

I think the Simulacrum cheeses are:A mirror merit can make a simulacrum of itself which its caster level of the ability not effect by its HD, there by gaining an exponential number of Mirror Mephits.
And, Efreeti's are less than 16HD, making them targets of the Mirror Mephit's simulacrum ability, which the 3 wishes ability is uncharged from the HD reduction.

EvilJoe15
2010-07-16, 04:10 PM
Two words: Thought Bottle.

Dairun Cates
2010-07-16, 04:14 PM
So I was thinking about the spell Simulacrum. It's awesome, but the exp cost (1000 exp min) is back-breaking. There are SLA tricks (Runesmith), but for this post, lets say the DM insist you pay the exp.

Then I'd say your GM probably wants you to actually pay for the advantages you're taking and is probably going to veto cheese to avoid it.

ericgrau
2010-07-16, 04:17 PM
I think the Simulacrum cheeses are:A mirror merit can make a simulacrum of itself which its caster level of the ability not effect by its HD, there by gaining an exponential number of Mirror Mephits.
And, Efreeti's are less than 16HD, making them targets of the Mirror Mephit's simulacrum ability, which the 3 wishes ability is uncharged from the HD reduction.

Actually the spell description says there should be an appropriate decrease in special abilities and so on. What that even means it doesn't say. But it doesn't matter. As soon as "infinite wish granting efreetis" leaves your lips the DMG is already mid-air towards your forehead.

monkey3
2010-07-16, 04:56 PM
The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0) is here to Solve Your Problems!(TM of Sam and Fuzzy)

Thanks arguskos. Your post is what I was looking for. As I said in the OP, I am not trying to nullify the cost, but to legitimately (with minimum cheese) lower it.

Has anyone gone through the math, and made such a staff? If not, I'll try it and post here for correction.