PDA

View Full Version : A Savage Opera Singer

Awnetu
2010-07-16, 11:58 AM
Hello All, I was looking around for character options a while back and I stumbled across the War Chanter PrC and the thought hit me... how would I go about making a Savage version of the Bard? I have the ACF from Unearthed Arcana and that is a nice start at least, but my first thoughts involved using some combination of Barbarian + Bard along with Arcane Strike/Snowflake Wardance. Currently I'm in a Gestalt(Starting at level 8) campaign where so far anything has been allowed.

However I'm hitting a couple of problems with this, the first being that Preform checks cannot happen during a Barbarian Rage, (Is there a feat already out there so that I can manage this?) and would there be a good way to Persist the effects of my songs even after I start singing so that I might be able to contribute to the battle in other ways(IE Arcane Strike and such).

Also, looking around I had a hard time finding non LA adjustment Races that grant Cha, the best being Spellscale currently, if anyone knows of a race that would fit the idea of a Savage Bard better that doesn't take a hit to Cha or Str that would be awesome.

I've seen 2 other classes that jump out at me, those being Warrior Skald/Virtuoso, but again I'm having difficulty figuring out how to build this.

Also question in regards to the Warrior Skald abilities, are each of those separate songs or are they effects applied during my performances? The bard mechanics are newish to me so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

gallagher
2010-07-16, 01:49 PM
even if there is no feat out there, you could always talk to your DM (they tend to be reasonable) that allow certain kinds of perform checks during rage. obviously playing an instrument is right out, and maybe singing, but perform (combat) might work if you swing it the right way. perform (acting) and act like a savage beast!

mabriss lethe
2010-07-16, 02:11 PM
maybe replace barbarian with warblade (focused on Tiger Claw, which has a bit of a savage theme to it.) pick a white raven stance and qualify for white raven song, which will have better multiclass synergy than barbarian

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-16, 02:15 PM
And take the savage bard ACF, to fit the theam.

Awnetu
2010-07-16, 02:41 PM
maybe replace barbarian with warblade (focused on Tiger Claw, which has a bit of a savage theme to it.) pick a white raven stance and qualify for white raven song, which will have better multiclass synergy than barbarian

Song of the White Raven is pretty killer. Thanks :smallbiggrin:.

but perform (combat) might work if you swing it the right way. perform (acting) and act like a savage beast!

Thats a cool idea, maybe embody a Tiger with clawed weapons and my fighting tricks. Thanks for the tip.

Would I be able to stack Arcane Strike with my maneuvers?

thanks all for the advice so far! :D

mabriss lethe
2010-07-16, 02:51 PM
according to the feat description, yes, you can add arcane strike to maneuvers, since activating the ability is a free action.

Iku Rex
2010-07-16, 03:05 PM
A few levels of Wildrunner (Races of the Wild), for Primal Scream, would be nice if you could work it in.

Awnetu
2010-07-16, 03:27 PM
A few levels of Wildrunner (Races of the Wild), for Primal Scream, would be nice if you could work it in.

That's a cool looking skill right there, outside of a house rule, is there anyway to get rid of the limit effect of that scream? It gives a decent buff for a build with Combat Finesse, and if I can get it to have a chance of working on any target, it would be beautiful.

And thanks for the heads up mabriss.