PDA

View Full Version : AvB - the sandy kobold

planswalker
2010-07-16, 12:21 PM
standard private thread deal. go away if this isn't your thread.

in the alley, you find a kobold gnawing on a thigh bone

Jeriah
2010-07-16, 12:39 PM
Woo!

I speak in Draconic, Hey, you. Where's the boss?

planswalker
2010-07-16, 01:16 PM
"Who wants ta know?" he responds

Jeriah
2010-07-16, 01:19 PM
The desert dragonwrought. Now show me where to find him.

planswalker
2010-07-16, 01:28 PM
he takes a second look at you and realizes that you are dragonwrought. "Oh, another dragonwrought. Please follow me."

Jeriah
2010-07-16, 03:15 PM
That's more like it...

She follows him, keeping watch on her surroundings.

planswalker
2010-07-16, 03:40 PM
He takes you underground through a series of small tunnels that lead into a large chamber. there, a grotesquely fat kobold is enjoying roast gnome in a throne. surrounding him are various trinkets and subservient kobolds. he doesn't even pause in his eating as he greets you. "Hwwow canf I hoolp yoo?" he asks with his mouth full.

Jeriah
2010-07-16, 03:53 PM
I have entered into the city on a quest given by Kurtulmak. Part of this task is to more firmly establish this tribe and expand its warren. Give me the task you feel most necessary to accomplish this that I might complete it.

Jeriah
2010-07-16, 05:27 PM
bump567890

planswalker
2010-07-16, 09:47 PM
He swallows rather quickly and looks at you gravely. you notice that his attendants seem shocked that he hadn't put another morsel in his mouth. "Well, you couldn't have coome at a better time. Rat things are encroaching from the Mage's Quarter to the west and the skulks have us pinned from expanding to the east into the Old Town. We are being crushed by the gang war between them. You say that Kurtulmak sent you to aid us? We need all the help we can get right now."

Jeriah
2010-07-17, 12:08 AM
I said Kurtulmak sent me. Aiding you is a beneficial side effect of this. You can expect me to do everything in my power in the service of our kind, but I have been given a higher calling to aid our kind as a whole rather than any one individual tribe. I will do all that I can, but I cannot forgo my calling anymore than you could abandon your tribe to the rats and skulks.

planswalker
2010-07-18, 02:38 AM
'"undestood, but we are the only tribe in this city. There is another dragonwrought kobold in the city as well. he's currently working for an assassin group to join, but i'm sure he'll pop by here real soon."

Jeriah
2010-07-18, 07:57 AM
Very well, but I cannot wait for him to return if there is work to do. If there is not, then I shall find some elsewhere. I am not charged with sitting indefinitely in wait of another.

planswalker
2010-07-18, 09:09 AM
"well, there are rats trying to take over one of our access tunnels. We've had to close most of our tunnels down and fill them in to increase security. Word has reached me that the rats are planning a major offensive tonight to try to take one of our access tunnels and use it before we can block it off. If you wouldn't mind helping us ensure that our last access to the mage's quarter isn't closed off, I would be personally grateful."

Jeriah
2010-07-18, 10:10 AM
Rats. Right. I believe I can do that...

planswalker
2010-07-18, 01:29 PM
"These rats seem to come from the mage's quarter and are more than merely normal rats." the fat one warns you.

Jeriah
2010-07-18, 03:01 PM
Well, set out some cheese, and I'll see what I can do to drive them away. Shall we go?

planswalker
2010-07-18, 04:32 PM
"Er, we?" he looks rather confused by your use of the plural. "Did you expect me tto leave>"

Jeriah
2010-07-18, 04:38 PM
I had assumed someone would show us where to fight these rats... I suppose a kobold who is somewhat less important than yourself should show the way though.

He turns to look at the attending kobolds.

Are any of your brave enough to accompany me to show me where these evil rat things are attacking us? Are any of you also brave enough to stand beside me in defense of your tribe? If not, then I shall defend your tribe myself if I am but shown the way.

planswalker
2010-07-18, 04:59 PM
his attendants seem more terrified of you than they are of Big Boss. half of them tremblingly join you and rather overeagerly guide you to the tunnel. the rest dare not correct your impudence. the Big Boss himself seems rather taken aback by your effrontery. "Excuse me?" he says rather pointedly.

Jeriah
2010-07-18, 05:02 PM
I apologize if I have offended you. It is just that in my position I am used to dealing with direct orders which I must carry out immediately and have become unused to showing or being given courtesy. In the desert, we do not have time for such pleasantries as each day is a fight for survival.

Diplomacy [roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-18, 11:23 PM
"Eh, whatever. You are another fellow dragonwrought, i'll let it slide this time."

looking at him, the only dragon he was wrought from is a gluttony dragon. If you go along with him, you can make another diplo check with a +4 bonus

Jeriah
2010-07-18, 11:36 PM
Right... we dragonwrought have to stick together.

Diplo - [roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-19, 12:54 AM
"Of course. Kurmlat, show her the way to the tunnels, please. "

he resumes eating, having apparently forgiven your slight. the mentioned kobold eagerly shows you to the tunnels. rather less than subtle signals from him show that he is attracted to you for your aura of power.

Jeriah
2010-07-19, 04:47 PM
She touches him on the head with a single finger when they arrive at the tunnel.

Kurmlat, when have these rat things been most likely to attack?

Also, would you be willing to find others who would prefer to be out here fighting to defend the tribe as befitting our noble dragon lineage rather than in there hiding with the fat one?

[roll0] (Well, that sucks)

She readies an action to cast Protection From Negative Energy on herself the moment she spots a rat.

planswalker
2010-07-19, 08:34 PM
"They mostly begin their attacks just after dusk. There are lots of us who'd like to show them our courage and power, but the Big Boss says not to. He didn't become the big boss for nothing. he's more dangerous than he looks."

Jeriah
2010-07-19, 10:41 PM
She keeps the spell readied and her eyes open as she waits for the rats to appear...

planswalker
2010-07-19, 11:16 PM
not too long after, she needs to make a spot check

Jeriah
2010-07-19, 11:19 PM
I'm so glad there are no rat things around and that I'm perfectly safe standing here.

[roll0]

At least this die roll was 1 higher than the last one.

planswalker
2010-07-19, 11:34 PM
unfortunately, she did not notice the three ratlings until they had thrown their daggers at her. luckily, only one of them hit for 12 total damage, including 7 from sneak attack. roll initiative. you do have 3 kobolds with you to help out.

Jeriah
2010-07-19, 11:38 PM
woo...
[roll0]

planswalker
2010-07-20, 07:32 AM
you go first

Jeriah
2010-07-20, 08:03 AM
Wow, I fully expected them to all go before me and kill me before I got to make a single attack roll or cast a single spell.

Also, does her readied action to cast protection from negative energy activate before initiative, or is the action just lost due to the failed spot check? That's kind of important, because that will completely change how I proceed.

planswalker
2010-07-20, 08:35 AM
you got the action off before your initiative began.

Jeriah
2010-07-20, 08:56 AM
Okay, well, I'm going to die anyway. Failing that Spot check is going to prove to be deadly.

To the other kobolds: Charge them!

She then casts Summon Undead II to summon an owlbear skeleton between her and the rats, assuming she survives that long.

planswalker
2010-07-20, 10:05 AM
the owlbear skeleton appears in their way. the ratlings swarm the skeleton, and begin smashing it with their clubs. two get in solid blows, while the third one lands askew. The other three kobolds then rush them to get a flank on them. one gets a charge at them, while the other two have to be satisfied with engaging their targets. the charger connects with his spear, dealing 10 damage.

Jeriah
2010-07-20, 02:58 PM
The owlbear attacks the rat things, focusing first on the injured one then moving to the next if that one drops.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Kyrutha heals herself for [roll6] then back 30ft further back down the tunnel or back until the next bend, whichever is closer.

planswalker
2010-07-20, 03:27 PM
he hits once, for seven damage. his skeletal claw tears into the ratling, unfortunately, the creature rather nimbly dodges the other attacks.

Jeriah
2010-07-20, 03:53 PM
((Wow, those were some crap rolls.))

planswalker
2010-07-20, 04:19 PM
kyrutha moves back 30 feet. the ratlings turn and strike at the kobolds.the one that attacked the charging kobold had the blow deflected by the kobolds leather armor. the other two strike home, dealing 7 and 10 damage respectively. the kobolds retaliate by striking back.the charger hit, as well as one of the others. they deal 7 and 10 damage respectively. one ratling and one kobold each look a quite a bit injured. The rest still seem rather hearty

Jeriah
2010-07-20, 10:47 PM
Owlbear - 5 rounds

She casts shield of faith on herself and moves 30ft towards the rats.

skeleton
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:14 PM
the skeleton catches the most injured one with his claw. It is now bleeding out. the remaining two seem to get in a frenzy. They lash out at the skeleton, abandoning their clubs and striking directly with their maws. they hit the two kobolds, who take 6 and 8 damage each. they respond by attacking once again, but miss. the third one coup de grace's the unconscious one.

Jeriah
2010-07-20, 11:32 PM
Is Kurmlat one of the kobolds out there fighting?

planswalker
2010-07-20, 11:39 PM
yes, he is the one that coup de grace'd

planswalker
2010-07-21, 12:51 AM
a teamup event (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161021)

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:29 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.

Jeriah
2010-08-02, 10:15 PM
Going to handle this in the team kobold thread.

planswalker
2010-08-02, 10:18 PM
yes. riz is just putting that up in all the avb threaqds.

Jeriah
2010-08-02, 10:20 PM
Ah, okay. That makes sense.