PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIV

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Yora
2010-08-01, 07:49 AM
A99
A blinded spellcaster can still target a square with an area effect spell, though he has to find other ways to learn who, if anyone, is within the targeted area.
Spell with target "self" obviously work as well.
Spells that require an attack roll or have a range of "touch" work the same way as a blind character would attack with a weapon.

The SRD says you have to be able to see a "target" to cast a spell on it, so spells like charm person would be impossible to cast.

(A100)
(I always treat fractional HD as "1 HD". When a creature gains additional HD, I just add the effects that additional HD would give a 1 HD creature. But I don't know if this is officially explained anywhere.)

Douglas
2010-08-01, 07:59 AM
A99The SRD says you have to be able to see a "target" to cast a spell on it, so spells like charm person would be impossible to cast.
Not quite.

You must be able to see or touch the target (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#targetorTargets)

A blinded caster can still use targeted spells, but he must touch his targets.

Blinkbear
2010-08-01, 08:25 AM
Q 101

The handle animal skill description comprises:

Track (DC 20): The animal tracks the scent presented to it. (This requires the animal to have the scent ability)

However, the entry for the scent ability states:

This extraordinary ability lets a creature detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

(...)

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Does that mean that training an animal that does not have the track feat allows it to track by scent if commanded? Or does it still need the feat?

Yora
2010-08-01, 08:30 AM
A101
The animal still needs to have the scent ability, the Track feat, and preferedly ranks in the Survival skill. The Handle Animal check is only to give the animal the command to use its tracking ability.

A creature with the Track feat and the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-01, 11:44 AM
A 100 Yes.

You follow the normal advancement rules. There are no stipulations to round hit dice, either up or down, when advancing a monster with fractional hit dice. So a rat with ¼ HD would indeed become a 1¼ HD creature.

Blinkbear
2010-08-01, 01:17 PM
A 100 Yes.

You follow the normal advancement rules. There are no stipulations to round hit dice, either up or down, when advancing a monster with fractional hit dice. So a rat with ¼ HD would indeed become a 1¼ HD creature.

If this is the case- when would the creature get feats/ability score increases?

i.e. is it for feats

a) 3¼, 6¼...
or
b) 2¼, 5¼...

?

Demons_eye
2010-08-01, 01:23 PM
Q:102

Does the Paladin of Tyranny's Aura of Despair stack with the Binders Vestige's Chupoclops Aura of Despair of the same name? They have different abilities, though, they are the same in principle.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-01, 02:26 PM
If this is the case- when would the creature get feats/ability score increases?

i.e. is it for feats

a) 3¼, 6¼...
or
b) 2¼, 5¼...

?a) You have to have at least 3 HD, at least 6 HD, and so on. Again, the rules don't specify rounding here ─ and as a general rule when you round in D&D, you round down.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-01, 02:28 PM
A 102 No.

According to the Sage, the name is what's important. You couldn't stack two class features with the same name even if they had nothing else in common.
Does the Armor Class bonus ability from the monk, swordsage, and ninja stack?
No, each of these abilities provides the same bonus. You are not able to benefit from multiple sources that have the same name more then once.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-01, 02:46 PM
A 102 No.

According to the Sage, the name is what's important. You couldn't stack two class features with the same name even if they had nothing else in common.

Are you sure this is correct? The rules state that you can't get the same bonus more than once, but I can't find anything about multiple, different bonuses.

Noodles2375
2010-08-01, 02:47 PM
Q 103

According to the alternate form special ability:
"The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores."

It does not mention changes in HP due to modified ability scores.

So does this mean that a 5th level druid with a constitution of 10 and 30hp who uses Wildshape to turn into a black bear (constitution of 15) would have 30 hp and not 40 hp (+10 from the increased con modifier)?

Private-Prinny
2010-08-01, 02:54 PM
A103

Yes. A wild shaping Druid retains the exact same HP total. This is why Con is the second most important stat for a Druid.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-01, 04:18 PM
Are you sure this is correct? The rules state that you can't get the same bonus more than once, but I can't find anything about multiple, different bonuses.

Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). I was assuming that the context of a modifier to a particular check or roll was a given; I apologize if that wasn't clear. But a bonus based on ability A and another one based on ability B won't stack if they have the same name. So a Monk with the Kung Fu Genius feat would add their INT bonus to AC with their AC Bonus class feature, and a Ninja would add their WIS bonus to AC with their AC Bonus class feature. But a character with both these class features wouldn't be able to benefit from both, even though they're adding different abilities, because the source is the same (the same name).

Embermage
2010-08-01, 08:40 PM
Q 104 Are there any rules covering the position of creatures after taking falling damage? Specifically, are creatures standing after a fall, or knocked prone?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-01, 08:51 PM
A 104

Creatures don't become prone unless an effect states that that's what happens to them. (In case it helps, in real life the most common injury suffered by skydivers is to the ankles as they absorb the impact of landing on their feet.)

Defiant
2010-08-01, 09:08 PM
Q 105 (one thing I've commonly houseruled in my games, but I want to know the RAW word on this)

Do characters that fall unconscious (such as due to taking more damage than hitpoints) fall prone?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-01, 11:59 PM
A 105

You're right that this is not explicitly mentioned in the rules. The usual expectation is that the creatures would assume their sleeping position. So horses would remain upright, but humanoids would be prone.

Sliver
2010-08-02, 12:09 AM
A 105 - addition

The SRD does have something about it, but in the variant rules section, so it's not really RAW, and RAW was already pointed out as lacking..

Adventuring-Injury (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/injury.htm) wrote
Unconscious

An unconscious character falls to the floor, helpless and incapable of action. Additional nonlethal hits have no effect on the character. When he recovers one nonlethal hit, he becomes conscious.

Kuzimu
2010-08-02, 01:40 AM
Q 106

I remember there being a spell in a somewhat obscure 3.5 sourcebook that stole someones surface memories and formed them into a crystal. Anyone rmeember the spell or the book they were in? It's an awesome, thematic spell, and I've been searching for it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-02, 01:52 AM
A106: Crystalline Memories from Complete Mage.

WarKitty
2010-08-02, 09:58 AM
A91 Generally holding an item means that your hand is not free. A small shield or buckler is an exception to this, as noted in the item descriptions. Armour check penalties and arcane spell failure still apply. Feats can be taken to negate these penalties, though they are typically directed toward 2 weapon use. An item can be dropped as a free action (out of turn with DM permission), freeing up a hand for use.

Q91 followup
Is there actually a page somewhere that specifies exactly what hands free/not free mean? I haven't been able to find much of anything.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-02, 12:11 PM
Re: A 91

From the Magic chapter overview (Player's Handbook, page 170):

To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any). Additionally, you must concentrate to cast a spell—and it’s hard to concentrate in the heat of battle. (See below for details.).
From the Combat chapter (Player's Handbook, page 140):

To cast a spell with a somatic (S) component, you must gesture freely with at least one hand. You can’t cast a spell of this type while bound, grappling, or with both your hands full or occupied.
From the Equipment chapter (Player's Handbook, pages 124-125):

Shield, Heavy, Wooden or Steel: You strap a shield to your forearm and grip it with your hand. A heavy shield is so heavy that you can’t use your shield hand for anything else.

Shield, Light, Wooden or Steel: You strap a shield to your forearm and grip it with your hand. A light shield’s weight lets you carry other items in that hand, although you cannot use weapons with it.

Buckler: This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a -1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. A buckler allows you to use that hand freely. A light shield allows you to carry and touch an item, but you cannot use that hand freely. So you may manipulate a material component or focus (if already at hand), but cannot gesture adequately for a spell's somatic component.

IdleMuse
2010-08-02, 12:13 PM
Q107 How many different playable Yuan-ti variants are there, and where?

WarKitty
2010-08-02, 12:24 PM
Re: A 91

From the Magic chapter overview (Player's Handbook, page 170):

From the Combat chapter (Player's Handbook, page 140):

From the Equipment chapter (Player's Handbook, pages 124-125):
A buckler allows you to use that hand freely. A light shield allows you to carry and touch an item, but you cannot use that hand freely. So you may manipulate a material component or focus (if already at hand), but cannot gesture adequately for a spell's somatic component.

So basically spellcasters may only use a single weapon *or* a shield if they wish to be able to cast somatic spells? Bucklers excepted.

IdleMuse
2010-08-02, 12:31 PM
So basically spellcasters may only use a single weapon *or* a shield if they wish to be able to cast somatic spells? Bucklers excepted.

There's also the Shield Gauntlet from RoS, and the feat Somatic Weaponry. Also, with a 2h weapon, it's debatable that you can just take one hand off it to cast a spell.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-02, 12:31 PM
You've got it. (Feats, as usual, can provide exceptions to these rules.)

Math_Mage
2010-08-02, 12:34 PM

Well, there's always the amusing and flavorful trick you could pull with a gish where you toss the weapon up, use the now-free hand to cast a somatic spell, and then catch the weapon. I'd allow that with a Sleight of Hand check. But that's not RAW by any means.

WarKitty
2010-08-02, 12:43 PM
You've got it. (Feats, as usual, can provide exceptions to these rules.)

Well, there's always the amusing and flavorful trick you could pull with a gish where you toss the weapon up, use the now-free hand to cast a somatic spell, and then catch the weapon. I'd allow that with a Sleight of Hand check. But that's not RAW by any means.

Unfortunately probably not worth it on a primary caster. And unfortunately bucklers have to be made from metal (druid). Ok follow-up question:

Q108 Are there any rules on switching what hand your weapon is in during battle?

Math_Mage
2010-08-02, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately probably not worth it on a primary caster. And unfortunately bucklers have to be made from metal (druid).

No, they don't. For example, here's a Darkwood Buckler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#darkwoodBuckler).

Ok follow-up question:

Q108 Are there any rules on switching what hand your weapon is in during battle?

Switching hands with an item is considered a move action by the Rules Compendium (p. 8).

guardinal
2010-08-02, 01:14 PM
Q109
For the spell 'holy transformation' (SpC, p116), does the caster only gain the abilities of a hound archon that are specifically referenced?

As written, the caster gains:
outsider type (archon, good, lawful subtypes)
medium size
+4sacred bonus to Str/Con
+4sacred bonus to saving throws
darkvision 60ft.
ability to speak and understand Celestial
DR5/evil
evil creatures within 10ft. suffer -2 to attacks, saves

What I'm unclear about is whether the abilities of the archon/good/lawful subtypes are also gained, which isn't made explicit. These would include the ability to treat natural and wielded weapons as good and lawful, and the large array of hefty (Su) abilities and immunities granted by the archon subtype.

GeminiVeil
2010-08-02, 07:56 PM
Q110

Does RAW ever state that a caster, who casts a will save spell on an opponant, know if he succeeded or failed the save?
EXAMPLE: Wiz casts Charm Person on rogue. Rogue makes save. Can rogue, on his turn, bluff Wiz into believing the spell was successful? Or does Wiz know that it failed?

Keld Denar
2010-08-02, 08:02 PM
A109

You would only gain the things listed. You do gain the subtype, and per the rules for subtypes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#lawfulSubtype).

Lawful Subtype
A subtype usually applied only to outsiders native to the lawful-aligned Outer Planes. Most creatures that have this subtype also have lawful alignments; however, if their alignments change, they still retain the subtype. Any effect that depends on alignment affects a creature with this subtype as if the creature has a lawful alignment, no matter what its alignment actually is. The creature also suffers effects according to its actual alignment. A creature with the lawful subtype overcomes damage reduction as if its natural weapons and any weapons it wields were lawful-aligned (see Damage Reduction, above).
You would not gain any SU abilities unless its explicitly stated, which it isn't. Overcoming DR is something all [Lawful] creatures get. The SLAs and SUs aren't something that all Archons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#archonSubtype) get (due to the: Unless otherwise noted text). Since its not otherwise noted, you don't get them. The spell gives you a mini-version of the Aura of Menace ability, though, and if they intended to give you the Greater Teleport or Circle vs Evil abilities, they would have been included in the text.

A110

Yes. SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Succeeding on a Saving Throw
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

Douglas
2010-08-02, 08:14 PM
Since its not otherwise noted, you don't get them.
It's "unless otherwise noted," so wouldn't that lack of a note mean that you do get them?

Keld Denar
2010-08-02, 08:15 PM
Since it gives you a dumbed down version of Aura of Menace, one of the abilities of the Archon subtype, I think its safe to say that if they wanted the spell to give you all of the other abilities of the Archon subtype, they would have listed them as well. Since it doesn't, you can infer that it was intentional.

Douglas
2010-08-02, 08:20 PM
That is a pretty solid case for RAI, but this thread is about RAW. It's not entirely clear cut, but I think there is a strong argument that RAW does have the spell give those abilities due to the subtype's rules and the lack of any note specifically addressing them.

GeminiVeil
2010-08-02, 09:17 PM
Q110 continuation @ Keld Denar
Is there anything you know of in one of the books? I hate to ask, but most of the people I play with don't use the SRD for some reason, and need book referances.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-02, 09:26 PM
Q110 continuation @ Keld Denar
Is there anything you know of in one of the books? I hate to ask, but most of the people I play with don't use the SRD for some reason, and need book referances.

A110 Continuation
That exact passage can be found in the Player's Handbook on page 177.

Coidzor
2010-08-03, 01:08 AM
Q111: What is the source of the Binder class?

PId6
2010-08-03, 01:08 AM
A 111

Tome of Magic.

soulsabre345
2010-08-03, 01:16 AM
Q112a
if using a reach weapon to attack a enemy through a ally do you need to take the -4 for attacking into melee? (i.e. me|ally|enemy, i attack the enemy).

Q112b
if using a reach weapon to attack a ally engaged with a tiny or smaller creature do you need to take the -4 to attack to attack the enemy with a reach weapon?

Math_Mage
2010-08-03, 01:25 AM
A 112a: No. Attacks made with melee weapons, reach or otherwise, do not take ranged weapon penalties. However, the enemy may gain a +4 bonus to AC for soft cover granted by your ally. See the Cover rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover). A ranged attacker would both suffer the -4 penalty for attacking into melee and grant the +4 cover bonus, for a cumulative -8 penalty to hit.

A 112b: No. For the same reason as above.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-03, 01:38 AM
A 111 additional info

Some helpful online links:

(Base) Character Class Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/class)
Prestige Class Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc)

dextercorvia
2010-08-03, 02:11 PM
Q 113
Is there any way to gain additional uses/day of a SLA?

GeminiVeil
2010-08-03, 02:37 PM
A110 Continuation
That exact passage can be found in the Player's Handbook on page 177.

Q114
Ok, but the last relevent sentance says, quote, "You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells."
I know what the area spells part means, but what does the 'effect' part mean? Don't all spells have 'effects'? Or is there something I'm missing by the wording?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-03, 02:41 PM
A 115

For these questions, refer to page 28 of your Dungeon Master's Guide: Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size and Table 2–3: Decreasing Weapon Damage by Size.

Edit: Looks like the original question was deleted; it was: How do you figure the unarmed damage for Monks outside the Small - Large range?

Defiant
2010-08-03, 02:44 PM
A 115

For these questions, refer to page 28 of your Dungeon Master's Guide: Table 2–2: Increasing Weapon Damage by Size and Table 2–3: Decreasing Weapon Damage by Size.

Ninja delete. Yeah, I figured I was looking in the wrong section, but the values are correct for an 8th level monk for Bastard Sword. As long as you look on that weapon damage table with the medium to the medium being equal, the answer is there.

(originally I was looking at the 1d8, 2d6, 3d6 progression, slightly confused)

EDIT: Well it's a little more complicated than that, so I guess you have to match up the Small-Medium-Large monk values given with equal values on the weapon damage table.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-03, 02:47 PM
A 114

The section describing spells with an Effect: listing are described here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#effect). That includes spells that summon things, plus rays and spreads.

soulsabre345
2010-08-03, 04:26 PM
Q116
trying to make sure i'm understanding creating magic items correctly;
to create a amulet that permanently gives speak with animals while worn, according to the dmg it would cost
1 (spell level) x 1 (caster level) x 2 (1m/lvl spell) x 2000gp, or 4000gp?
is that right?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-03, 04:49 PM
A 116

You completely skipped the primary rule for magic item prices (similarly-powered items basis), and went on to the secondary (otherwise) rule. So talk to your DM, because the secondary rule can't be invoked without the DM's OK.

From Dungeon Master's Guide, page 282:
BEHIND THE CURTAIN: MAGIC ITEM GOLD PIECE VALUES

Many factors must be considered when determining the price of magic items you invent. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item priced in this chapter and use its price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table 7–33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.

Douglas
2010-08-03, 05:36 PM
Q114
Ok, but the last relevent sentance says, quote, "You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells."
I know what the area spells part means, but what does the 'effect' part mean? Don't all spells have 'effects'? Or is there something I'm missing by the wording?
The critical distinction here is whether the header in the full spell description includes a line labeled "Effect". For example, Summon Monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm), Scintillating Pattern (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scintillatingPattern.htm), Enervation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enervation.htm), and Obscuring Mist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscuringMist.htm). Spells that do are not 'effect' spells include Moment of Prescience (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/momentOfPrescience.htm), Bane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bane.htm), Magic Missile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm), and Charm Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmPerson.htm). Note the absence of any line labeled "Effect" in those four examples.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-03, 06:34 PM
Q 117

If an alchemical silvered weapon scores a critical hit, would the -1 penalty to the damage roll only apply once, or be multiplied by the weapon's crit. modifier (x2, x3, etc.)?

Private-Prinny
2010-08-03, 07:21 PM
Q 117

If an alchemical silvered weapon scores a critical hit, would the -1 penalty to the damage roll only apply once, or be multiplied by the weapon's crit. modifier (x2, x3, etc.)?

A117 More than once

Crits are actually rolling damage multiple times, with the specific clause that extra dice are not multiplied. Unfortunately, that means the -1 on damage rolls would apply more than once, as if you hit with multiple attacks.

soulsabre345
2010-08-03, 07:30 PM
Q118a
is there any other way aside from beastskin armor to get a armor to change size on command? (like the sizing property for weapons)

Q118b
Can you treat a skin of ectoplasmic armor (MIC 170) as actual armor in the sense of adding magical properties to it?

Math_Mage
2010-08-03, 09:05 PM
A118b: No. The item is not armor, and is only treated as armor for purposes of affecting class features and movement (specifically, light armor).

Thurbane
2010-08-04, 12:15 AM
Q 119

Question about the Blood Wind spell – it allows the subject to take a full round action to use all of its natural weapons as if they were thrown weapons with a 20-ft range increment. My question – do special attacks associated with natural attacks (poison for a Monstrous Spiders bite, energy drain for a Vampire’s slam etc.) take effect normally with these ranged attacks?

Eurus
2010-08-04, 12:41 AM
Q120

What's the reach for a large creature with a whip?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-04, 03:20 AM
A 120 15'

A whip doesn't use reach so much as being a limited ranged weapon. The reach is always 15', independent of the wielder's size.

StreetPizza
2010-08-04, 05:04 AM
Q121

If an enemy attempts to move out of a square I threaten, provoking an AoO that kills/incapacitates/otherwise immobilizes the enemy, does the enemy stay in the square it occupied before it tried to move?

JaronK
2010-08-04, 05:18 AM
Q121

If an enemy attempts to move out of a square I threaten, provoking an AoO that kills/incapacitates/otherwise immobilizes the enemy, does the enemy stay in the square it occupied before it tried to move?

A: Yes, because you immobalized it before it moved. AoOs always happen before what triggered them resolves.

JaronK

Thieves
2010-08-04, 07:53 AM
Q122

Are there any Charisma-based full casters, arcane and prepared?

Q123

In what book could I possibly find entries on firearms for 3.5 settings?

Ossian
2010-08-04, 08:33 AM
Q 124:

Where can I find the Shiba Protector Prestige Class? I have "Oriental adventures 3.0" and unless I am of subnormal intelligence I just cannot find it. Perhaps it goes under a different name, or maybe the page layout is just confusing.

Yora
2010-08-04, 11:07 AM
A119
Yes. When the special ability is part of a regular attack action, it also applies in this situation.

A124
It is in Oriental Adventures, but not in the Prestige Classes chapter, but in the chapter about the clans of Rokugan near the back of the book.

PId6
2010-08-04, 12:19 PM
Q 113
Is there any way to gain additional uses/day of a SLA?
A 113

The Magic in the Blood feat (PGtF) lets you use 1/day racial SLAs 3/day instead. I don't think there are any ways for generic non-racial SLAs though.

Q122

Are there any Charisma-based full casters, arcane and prepared?
A 122

Not in a WotC official book. I don't know of ones in Dragon mags or third party, though there is a third party feat somewhere to change a caster's primary stat to anything you want.

Q123

In what book could I possibly find entries on firearms for 3.5 settings?
A 123

Dungeon Master's Guide, p. 145.

Raptor2213
2010-08-04, 01:15 PM
(Sorry, I know this was a few pages back, but I'm going through the old posts here and had to mention this)

A 105
You're right that this is not explicitly mentioned in the rules. The usual expectation is that the creatures would assume their sleeping position. So horses would remain upright, but humanoids would be prone.

A105 Addendum
You're half right. Horses DO sleep standing up, but they also lay down (the stories below are semi-conflicting). The basic interpretation is that when they sleep standing up, they are still semi-conscious. So an unconscious horse would likely fall down just like anything else.

Sources: 1 (http://horses.about.com/od/understandinghorses/a/horsesleep.htm) 2 (http://mb-soft.com/public2/horseszz.html) 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse#Sleep_patterns) 4 (http://www.discoverymagazine.com/digger/d00dd/d0004dd.html) GOOGLE (www.google.com)

Raptor2213
2010-08-04, 01:19 PM
Q107 How many different playable Yuan-ti variants are there, and where?

A107
The only ones I am aware of are the Yuan-Ti as a monster in the MMI (3 variants), as a template in Savage Species (2 variants), and as a high-level monster in the Fiend Folio? (Anathema, 1 variant) (not 100% on that, its that or the other nasty-sounding one).

I've recently been looking into this myself, as I want to play one. The best method I've found for playing one is to simply use a polymorph other early in the game to turn myself into one of my choosing, rather than pay for the LA and HD.

Raptor2213
2010-08-04, 01:23 PM
Q123
In what book could I possibly find entries on firearms for 3.5 settings?[/QUOTE]

A123
You could use Star Wars D20, or D20 Modern as a reference. It is also mentioned in the DMG (I think). Eberron may also be a decent source as well (never read much into it, but it's a higher-tech setting). As a general rule, Ballistic weapons deal double the damage of their D&D counterparts, and Energy weapons deal triple.
(For example the longsword is one of the more common 3.5 weapons, doing 1d8, the more common Ballistic weapons would dead 2d8, and the common Energy weapon, 3d8, you get the idea)

Mangles
2010-08-05, 07:40 AM
Q 124

I've heard of errata or changes to the feats 'Draconic Vigor' and 'Draconic Armor' (dragon magic p16-17 )which allow for a character to qualify if they are of the dragonblood subtype. Is this correct and if so where is the ruling located.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-05, 11:40 AM
A 124125 No.

The Official D&D Errata page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20060531a) doesn't list anything for Dragon Magic, so I'm afraid what you heard is incorrect. Furthermore, the D&D 3.5 online feat index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats) lists only one version of each of those two feats, both in Dragon Magic. So the RAW text is unchanged: you still must have the Draconic Heritage feat to quality for Draconic Vigor and Draconic Armor.

Edit: # 124 has been used previously.

Ossian
2010-08-05, 11:48 AM
Q 125

So Spellcraft Vs Use Magic Device is a giant pain...

If I am a wizard and want to read a scroll, I can use read magic, even made permanent, no need to roll the dice. But what about casting? If I am a wizard and I am trying to cast a spell from a scroll, what skill do I have to use?
If it is a clerical spell? I guess UMD? And if it is a wizard spell and I am a specialist, and the spell is from a prohibited school, what do I have to do? Read Magic and ?... And if it is , say, of 7th level and I have a wizard who has access only to 6th level spell? What is the rule for that? The words of the manual are just confusing.... :smallfrown:

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-05, 11:50 AM
Q 126

Am I correct that Two-Weapon Fighting is considered a bad feat? If so, why?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-05, 11:53 AM
Q 126

Am I correct that Two-Weapon Fighting is considered a bad feat? If so, why?

A 127: This is outside of the purview of this thread. For generally information, I would recommend checking out the recent Fistful of d6s thread on these very forums.

Keld Denar
2010-08-05, 12:02 PM
A 125
IF you are using a spell trigger item (wand), you just have to have the spell on your list. It doesn't matter if you are able to cast spells of that level, so long as its on your list. Thus, a Pally1 can use a Wand of Cure Lite, and a Wizard1 could use a Wand of Scorching Ray.

IF you are using a spell completion item (scroll), things get a little more complicated. First, you have to ID it, which can be done with Spellcraft or Read Magic. Then you make a comparison with yourself. If its on your spell list, and of a level you can normally cast, and you have a high enough caster stat to cast it, you can cast from the scroll with no chance of failure. If its on your list, but its higher level than you can normally cast, you can make a caster level check to attempt to use it. If your casting atribute isn't high enough to cast it, you can't use it. Example: A 3rd level wizard with a 15 Int could cast from a scroll of Web (2nd level) with no chance of failure. If he got a scroll of Fireball (3rd), he could cast it with a level check. If he got a scroll of Wish (9th), he couldn't cast it because his casting stat is not high enough. He'd need to UMD it.

If the spell is NOT on your list, OR you don't have a casting stat high enough, you have to resort to UMD it. A wizard with ranks in UMD could cast a scroll of Cure Light Wounds if he made a UMD check of 21, just the same as a rogue who made a UMD check of 21.

Makes sense?

A 126

There are many threads devoted to this, but it centers primarily around 2 aspects. 1st, TWF is completely reliant on full attacks, making mobility a pain. 2nd, unsupported, it gives very little return damage for the feats invested, compared to 2handed Power Attack. This is fixed with sources of bonus damage like Sneak Attack, Scirmish, Knowledge Devotion, Shadow Blade, various manevuers, etc. If you want more info, this is something worth starting a whole thread over, or brousing through the archives for past discussions.

Ossian
2010-08-05, 04:17 PM
Q. 127

Thanks for the other answer (#124), btw.

I have a series of doubts which originate from all the monk threads and the full attack debate. Let´s say I am engaged in melee, and I have 5 attacks. My enemy, knowing I am such a combat beast, wants to keep things moving. Say a Obi Wan Vs Anakin situation.

If I am melee, and I am attacked X times, then it is my turn, and I take my attack, then I cannot take my move action unless it is just a 5 foot step, right? Basically, the only way to get 1 move and one attack (because the other way around is not possible without either tumbling or provoking AoOs), is to do so in the first round, after which it will be a big mess of full attacks on all sides, until one decides to withdraw, forfeiting all attacks for that round. Am I correct?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-05, 04:26 PM
A 127

You're largely correct, though there are many ways around this situation. Among them:

having more reach than your opponent, so they need to move 10' to attack you after you hit them for a full attack and then step back 5'
having a way to make 10' adjustments instead of only 5' steps, such as a Monk trained with a Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms and Equipment Guide)
getting an extra move action, such as from Travel Devotion feat (Complete Champion) or a Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium)
negating the opponent's AoO, such as through total concealment

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-05, 04:52 PM
Q 128

How would the Practiced Spellcaster feat interact with the Unseen Seer's Divination Spell Power ability?

By 9th level, an Unseen Seer's caster level for divination spells is 3 higher, while his caster level for all other schools of magic is 3 lower.

Practiced Spellcaster can't improve your caster level beyond your HD, but would it negate the caster level loss from Divination Spell Power?

Evil the Cat
2010-08-05, 05:22 PM
Q 129

I'm sure I saw this somewhere, but now I can't find it.

Do spells that target weapons work on natural weapons? Like, casting sonic weapon on an improved unarmed strike?

Giltintur
2010-08-05, 05:23 PM
Q 129

Can a fey'ri-s (Races of Faerun) racial alter self ability be dispelled by a dispel spell (Awful lot of spelling :D )?

Mangles
2010-08-05, 05:28 PM
Q 130

Is using a warlocks eldritch blast considered casting an arcane spell?

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-05, 05:35 PM
Q 130

A 131 No.

Eldritch Blast and every other Warlock invocation are spell-like abilities, not spells. Using a spell-like ability follows many of the same rules as casting a spell, but they are not the same on all counts.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-05, 05:38 PM
Q 128

How would the Practiced Spellcaster feat interact with the Unseen Seer's Divination Spell Power ability?

By 9th level, an Unseen Seer's caster level for divination spells is 3 higher, while his caster level for all other schools of magic is 3 lower.

Practiced Spellcaster can't improve your caster level beyond your HD, but would it negate the caster level loss from Divination Spell Power?

A128 Yes

Your caster level is dropped by 3, but then Practiced Spellcaster brings it back up. Another popular trick is to use it with Wild Mage from Complete Arcane.

Q 129

I'm sure I saw this somewhere, but now I can't find it.

Do spells that target weapons work on natural weapons? Like, casting sonic weapon on an improved unarmed strike?

A129 No

Compare Magic Weapon to Magic Fang.

Q 129

Can a fey'ri-s (Races of Faerun) racial alter self ability be dispelled by a dispel spell (Awful lot of spelling :D )?

A130 Maybe

If the ability is Spell-like, then yes. If the ability is Supernatural, then no.

Q 130

A131 No

It is a Spell-like ability.

Math_Mage
2010-08-05, 05:57 PM
A 129 130: Yes. Spell-like abilities can be dispelled. However, they cannot be counterspelled.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-05, 07:42 PM
Q132

Can you use the Locate Object spell to find a thin sheet of lead?

drengnikrafe
2010-08-05, 09:01 PM
Q. 133
Are there any PrCs that advance wizard and bard casting, as well as bardic knowledge?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-05, 11:44 PM
A 132 No.

Since Locate Object is blocked by even a thin sheet of lead, it's impossible for the spell to determine if it's found a thin sheet of lead or instead some greater thickness of lead; at that point the spell fails without having resolved the issue.

RickGriffin
2010-08-06, 02:33 AM
Q. 133
Are there any PrCs that advance wizard and bard casting, as well as bardic knowledge?

A. 133

Got these from an index document. Some might be incomplete.

PrCs that stack with Bardic Knowledge: Fochlucan Lyrist, Green Whisperer, Harper Agent, Harper Paragon, Loremaster, Memory Smith, Mourner, Ollam, Sublime Chord, and World Speaker.

Fochlucan Lyrist gains Arcane caster and Divine caster levels. (Complete Adventurer)
Green Whisperer gains Bard caster and Druid caster levels. (Dragon 311)
Harper Agent gains some caster levels. (Player's Guide to Faerun)
Harper Paragon gains caster levels. (Player's Guide to Faerun)
Loremaster gains caster levels. (DMG)
Memory Smith gains Bard caster levels. (Dragon 311)
Mourner gains Bard caster levels. (Dragon 311)
Ollam gains some caster levels. (Complete Adventurer)
Sublime Chord bring bard spells up to 9th level. (Complete Arcane)
World Speaker gains bard caster levels. (Dragon 311)

Giltintur
2010-08-06, 03:44 AM
Q 134

Does the Abjurant Champion feats empower Mage Armour?
It is an example, but mage armour is conjuration.

The Pressman
2010-08-06, 04:39 AM
Q 134

Does the Abjurant Champion feats empower Mage Armour?
It is an example, but mage armour is conjuration.

A. 134
No. It does, however, empower other shield spells, such as Shield. The reference to Mage armor was removed from the Errata. Even though Mage Armor being in conjuration makes no sense whatsoever.

Draxar
2010-08-06, 06:25 AM
Q135

Master Spellthief + Warlock.

If he qualifies for the feat (by getting either 2nd level spellthief spells, or otherwise getting the 2nd level spellcasting), would the Warlock levels count as 'arcane spellcaster' enough to increase the level of spell he could steal?

"Your spellthief levels stack with levels of other arcane spellcaster classes (that is, levels of any class that grant arcane spellcasting other than spellthief) for the purpose of determining what level spell you can steal"

Cog
2010-08-06, 08:32 AM
A 135
Warlocks have a caster lever, but they do not have an arcane spellcaster level, as they do not cast spells.

Ditto
2010-08-06, 11:44 AM
Q136

I need some particulars on hearthfire. It's from Races of Stone, I believe, and a cube of goo glows like blue fire when moistened. Is a hearthfire lantern *required* to use this item? Can you carry the cube of goo in your hand, or does moistening it make it loose its form meaning it would need to be held in a bowl or such (or perhaps only a hearthfire lantern, I assume it exists for a reason).

Vulaas
2010-08-06, 12:48 PM
Q136

I need some particulars on hearthfire. It's from Races of Stone, I believe, and a cube of goo glows like blue fire when moistened. Is a hearthfire lantern *required* to use this item? Can you carry the cube of goo in your hand, or does moistening it make it loose its form meaning it would need to be held in a bowl or such (or perhaps only a hearthfire lantern, I assume it exists for a reason).

A: 136

No,you do not need the lantern to hold it. The lantern just a convenient holding container.

soulsabre345
2010-08-06, 01:32 PM
Q137
is there any way to change the size of a piece of armor without spending more than 1 hour to do so and without using the beastskin enchantment? (i.e. change a set of armor that fits a small creature to fit a large creature)

Logician
2010-08-06, 03:04 PM
Q138 If a psudodragon wished to become a litch, would it become a dracolitch or a normal one?

RickGriffin
2010-08-06, 03:15 PM
Q138 If a psudodragon wished to become a litch, would it become a dracolitch or a normal one?

A138 Regular lich template can only be applied to a humanoid. Dracolich can be applied to any evil dragon, and since pseudodragon's type is dragon, you would apply that one.

maniakmastah
2010-08-06, 05:21 PM
Q 139

What is the DR listed for the updated Arcanaloth stats in Dungeon #149

Hirax
2010-08-06, 05:34 PM
Q140
"A deepwarden knows how to use his strengths to compensate for his weaknesses. He adds his constitution bonus to AC instead of his dexterity, if the character's constitution bonus is higher. The deepwarden loses this bonus to his AC whenever he would normally be denied his dexterity bonus to AC. In such a situation, the deepwarden would still be considered flat-footed."

Could someone add their full con bonus of +6 to AC even when wearing armor that grants a max dex bonus of less than 6?

W3bDragon
2010-08-06, 07:28 PM
Q 141: Can a warlock using the Spider Climb ability fire his Eldritch blast while spider climbing on a wall? Or does he need both hands free to hang onto the wall?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-06, 09:26 PM
A135 Correction: As Warlocks gain improved "casting" via "+1 Arcane spellcasting level" prestige classes, they similarly have an arcane caster level.

A138: Unless the pseudo-dragon has some means of avoiding the type-restriction on the Lich template, it would have to instead shoot for the Dracolich template.

A141: Spider Climb refers to "hands" in the plural, necessitating that at least two be used. As warlock invocations have somatic components, the Warlock would be unable to fire his eldritch blast without having some source of extra arms or hands.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-07, 02:00 AM
Re: A 135 Correction

As Warlocks gain improved "casting" via "+1 Arcane spellcasting level" prestige classes, they similarly have an arcane caster level. From Complete Arcane on page 18:

Warlocks benefit in a specific way from prestige classes that have “+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class” or “+1 level of existing spellcasting class” as a level advancement benefit. A warlock taking levels in such a prestige class does not gain any of his class abilities, but he does gain an increased caster level when using his invocations and increased damage with his eldritch blast. Levels of prestige classes that provide +1 level of spellcasting effectively stack with the warlock’s level to determine his eldritch blast damage (treat his combined caster level as his warlock class level when looking at Table 1–1: The Warlock to determine eldritch blast damage) and his eldritch blast caster level (half his total caster level from his warlock levels and his levels in the prestige class that grant him an increased spellcasting level). A warlock also gains new invocations known at these prestige class levels as though he had gained a level in the warlock class.
A warlock cannot qualify for prestige classes with spellcasting level requirements, as he never actually learns to cast spells.
Your spellthief levels stack with levels of other arcane spellcaster classes (that is, levels of any class that grant arcane spellcasting other than spellthief) for the purpose of determining what level spell you can steal. A boost to arcane spellcasting level is not included in the specific ways Warlocks benefit from taking levels in a prestige class that grants “+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class”; such advancement is specifically disavowed by the rules. Warlocks only gain a boost to (effective) caster level specifically for invocations, which is both a different concept and different in type (spell-like ability instead of spells). Furthermore, the original question had no reference to prestige classes, as it concerned only the base classes Warlock and Spellthief. There is no mention of spellcasting level advancement in the Warlock class features; again, they only have a caster level (for their spell-like abilities).

Cog's original answer was correct.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-07, 02:06 AM
A 140 No.

CON is used as a straightforward replacement for DEX in the Stone Warden class ability. Here's the FAQ answer:
Does the deepwarden’s Stone Warden ability (RS 105) still have a maximum Dexterity bonus to his Armor Class, and does that maximum still apply to his Constitution?
The maximum Dexterity bonus should be treated as the maximum ability bonus given by the armor, so if you were playing a deepwarden wearing full plate, you would only add 1 to your Armor Class from your Constitution.

Math_Mage
2010-08-07, 02:48 AM
A141: Spider Climb refers to "hands" in the plural, necessitating that at least two be used. As warlock invocations have somatic components, the Warlock would be unable to fire his eldritch blast without having some source of extra arms or hands.

A141 Correction:

Climb
[...]
You need both hands free to climb, but you may cling to a wall with one hand while you cast a spell or take some other action that requires only one hand.

Spider Climb
[...]
The subject can climb and travel on vertical surfaces or even traverse ceilings as well as a spider does. The affected creature must have its hands free to climb in this manner.

The bolded statements correspond. There is nothing in the Spider Climb description to contradict the latter part of the Climb description, so a Warlock may cling to the wall with one hand and use his Eldritch Blast with the other, just as when climbing normally.

Thieves
2010-08-07, 08:55 AM
Q142: Can you make a trip attempt as an attack of opportunity? The person to make the AoO is unarmed, so is the person provoking.

Douglas
2010-08-07, 08:57 AM
A142

Yes. You do not threaten with unarmed strike unless you have the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, however, so unless you have that feat you can't make any AoO at all without a weapon.

elpollo
2010-08-07, 09:27 AM
Q143: When a djinni is in its whirlwind form can it still be damaged normally? I can't find any ruling saying no, but it is a whirlwind, and it does mean that anything picked up by it can then full attack. I've run a few searches on both google and the forum but couldn't find the answer.

Raptor2213
2010-08-07, 01:31 PM
Q137
is there any way to change the size of a piece of armor without spending more than 1 hour to do so and without using the beastskin enchantment? (i.e. change a set of armor that fits a small creature to fit a large creature)

A137
I once saw a method to do so where you could cast dispell magic on the item (to make it non-magical) and then polymorph any object to change it's size. Perhaps that would work for you?

Q142: Can you make a trip attempt as an attack of opportunity? The person to make the AoO is unarmed, so is the person provoking.

A142
Yes. You do not threaten with unarmed strike unless you have the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, however, so unless you have that feat you can't make any AoO at all without a weapon.

A142 Addendum
Assuming you have Improved Unarmed Strike, unless you had improved trip, the flow would work a bit oddly.

X would provoke an AOO. Y responds with making a trip attack. Because Y does not have the requisite feat, X gets an AOO against Y for making a trip attack.

It gets ridiculous if both X and Y have combat reflexes and both decide to trip without the feat.

DaMullet
2010-08-07, 03:01 PM
Q144

Is there a limit to the number of invocations a warlock can actively apply; For instance, The Dark One's Own Luck and Devil's Sight both have a listed duration of 24 hours, can they both be active all day or do I have to switch between them?

Vulaas
2010-08-07, 03:09 PM
Q144

Is there a limit to the number of invocations a warlock can actively apply; For instance, The Dark One's Own Luck and Devil's Sight both have a listed duration of 24 hours, can they both be active all day or do I have to switch between them?

There is no limit, which is really the best part about them in my opinion.

So, yes, you may have them both active from when you wake up, to the next time you awaken.

Math_Mage
2010-08-07, 03:09 PM
Q144

A144: No, there is no limit.

WarKitty
2010-08-07, 04:40 PM
Q145

Ok silly question: What happens to the weight of any items that remain active when using wild shape? E.g. wild armor. Also is a wild-shaped character wearing wild full plate still bound by the encumbrance of the armor?

Raptor2213
2010-08-07, 05:32 PM
Q146
In polymorph, it specifies that you get any racial feats and skill bonuses of the creature.
A
How do you determine what a racial feat is?
B
How do you determine what skills a race gets a bonus to if they do not list them as a playable race?

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-07, 05:46 PM
A 144 Additional

I'm pretty sure you can even cast the same invocation over and over. Usually they don't stack with themselves, but this can make it very hard to dispel you, since you'll likely have at least one undispelled instance.

A 146a

Racial bonus feats are usually marked with a superscript B. An example would be the Rat's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm) Weapon Finesse.

Raptor2213
2010-08-07, 07:39 PM
A 146a
Racial bonus feats are usually marked with a superscript B. An example would be the Rat's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm) Weapon Finesse.[/QUOTE]

That's all well and good if the creature in question is in the MM1 3.5 on the SRD, but it isn't. Also, the book doesn't note them the same way, and thereby could be argued that it isn't RAW.

Math_Mage
2010-08-07, 08:05 PM
A 146a
Racial bonus feats are usually marked with a superscript B. An example would be the Rat's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm) Weapon Finesse.

That's all well and good if the creature in question is in the MM1 3.5 on the SRD, but it isn't. Also, the book doesn't note them the same way, and thereby could be argued that it isn't RAW.

So, what race, what book? Help us help you.

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-07, 08:08 PM
Ah, sorry. I only use the actual book when I need stuff like Beholders, so I mistakenly thought it would be the same as the SRD. Sorry if I offended you.

Some of the later Monster Manuals have the superscript B thing. I can at least confirm that MMIII uses it.

Raptor2213
2010-08-07, 08:17 PM
So, what race, what book? Help us help you.

Yuan-Ti Halfblood (MM1 3.5) is the immediate one. Also trying to plan for possible future polymorphs to things I haven't decided yet.

Looking at them, I'm assuming Halfbloods have none, but I'm trying to establish the formula, as I'm contemplating going for a Master Transmogrifist later.

I don't offend, I just get angsty, and I wasn't this time. :smallbiggrin:

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-07, 08:38 PM
Wait a second, my MMI does have superscript B bonus feats, just not for the rat. :smallsigh:

The Yuan-Ti Halfblood has Alertness and Blind-Fight as racial bonus feats.

Douglas
2010-08-07, 09:18 PM
A142 Addendum
Assuming you have Improved Unarmed Strike, unless you had improved trip, the flow would work a bit oddly.

X would provoke an AOO. Y responds with making a trip attack. Because Y does not have the requisite feat, X gets an AOO against Y for making a trip attack.

It gets ridiculous if both X and Y have combat reflexes and both decide to trip without the feat.
Actually, no. The trip rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#trip) specify that tripping provokes "as normal for unarmed attacks." Thus, if your unarmed attacks don't provoke then neither do your trip attempts, so Improved Unarmed Strike also negates the AoO for trying to trip. There are other situations that would produce a chain like that, though, such as two people trying disarm on each other without Improved Disarm.

Raptor2213
2010-08-07, 09:24 PM
Wait a second, my MMI does have superscript B bonus feats, just not for the rat. :smallsigh:

The Yuan-Ti Halfblood has Alertness and Blind-Fight as racial bonus feats.

Erm, so my bad for looking at the example I guess then...
Weird.
Now, here's hoping the DM and the other players won't freak out over another 2 feats...

Curmudgeon
2010-08-07, 09:53 PM
A 145
Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. Since your own weight doesn't count against your carrying limit, the only effect is to increase your weight in the new form; usually that's not an issue. (Some pressure-sensitive traps, or weight-limited structures like ropes, may possibly have a different response due to the increased weight.) As the armor isn't armor while melded, no encumbrance penalties accrue to your character.

soulsabre345
2010-08-07, 10:16 PM
Q 147a
how is it handled when a master of many forms 1 wildshapes into a humanoid with class levels? for example, the varag pack leader in MM4 p168.

Q 147b
I've heard that if you wildshape into a creature that has weapons and armor in it's sheet you get those weapons when you shape into it, is this true? to use the varag pack leader again, would you create a mwk composite shortbow and a +1 scimitar when turning into one?

Math_Mage
2010-08-07, 10:32 PM
A147b: No. Nothing in the wild shape description, improved wild shape description, or improved wild shape errata states that you gain the manufactured weapons of the acquired form. Note in particular in the wild shape description:

When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

So by RAW, were you to acquire manufactured weapons as part of wildshaping into a humanoid, you would retain those items when reverting to normal. This is clearly not a sensible interpretation.

A147c: Whatever term you choose to use to denote racial bonus feats, they are not acquired when wildshaping.

StreetPizza
2010-08-08, 12:25 AM
Q148

If I have a +5 weapon of Wounding (total enhancement bonus +7), would it be considered a +7 or a +5 weapon for purposes of calculating additional hardness and hp?

Raptor2213
2010-08-08, 12:32 AM
A 145 Since your own weight doesn't count against your carrying limit, the only effect is to increase your weight in the new form; usually that's not an issue. (Some pressure-sensitive traps, or weight-limited structures like ropes, may possibly have a different response due to the increased weight.) As the armor isn't armor while melded, no encumbrance penalties accrue to your character.
You missed one very important part there. He's referring to the armor buff called "wild" (sorry, I can't remember the book or exact name off the top of my head) which causes a druid's armor to meld with his/her wild shape to still have the full benefit of the armor even when wild shaped. So no, it doesn't totally merge with his/her new form. There are two forms of it that I know of, one that is a +2 armor bonus, but uses an extra wild shape, and another that is a +3 that does not.

Math_Mage
2010-08-08, 12:43 AM
You missed one very important part there. He's referring to the armor buff called "wild" (sorry, I can't remember the book or exact name off the top of my head) which causes a druid's armor to meld with his/her wild shape to still have the full benefit of the armor even when wild shaped. So no, it doesn't totally merge with his/her new form. There are two forms of it that I know of, one that is a +2 armor bonus, but uses an extra wild shape, and another that is a +3 that does not.

The description for the wild enhancement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#wild) simply says that the armor bonus and any enhancement bonuses are retained while in wild shape. It does not otherwise change the situation at all. Thus, Curmudgeon's answer is complete and correct.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-08, 01:26 AM
A 148 +5

Your weapon does not have a total enhancement bonus of +7; that's merely the figure you use to determine its cost. It has a +5 numerical enhancement, and the numerical enhancement is the only part that figures into the increase in hardness and hit points: +2 and +10 per numerical enhancement respectively, or +10 and +50 for your +5 weapon.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-08, 02:10 AM
A 147a

The answer is the same for a Druid assuming the form of an animal, plant, or elemental creature with class levels.
The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.
The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.
Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
In looking at any class features table you'll see that it includes BAB, saving throws, and Special qualities. None of these things are gained. (Most class features are listed under Special.) All that's left are what any creature gains with increased levels: HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats (all of which are excluded), and increased ability scores. Thus the only difference that would accrue by assuming a form with class levels would be that form's increased physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con).

Whether class levels are inherent in a form or not isn't explicitly defined in the rules. After all, it's a Monster Manual, not a Form Manual. As the issue is a matter of individual DM judgment, you should talk to your DM.

StreetPizza
2010-08-08, 02:14 AM
Q149

When my Int modifier increases, do I gain retroactively gain skill points for past levels?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-08, 03:55 AM
A 149 No.

CON increases retroactively change hit points, but INT increases do not retroactively change skill points.

The Pressman
2010-08-08, 05:51 AM
Q. 150

How much would reach increase when increasing the size of a creature from small to medium? If it was 5ft to start with, how much would it be at medium size?

PId6
2010-08-08, 05:59 AM
A 150

Generally, increasing size from Small to Medium does not change reach. Check the table here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) for how size affects reach.

guardinal
2010-08-08, 04:15 PM
Q151: When casting dispel magic, can a caster choose to target only a specific spell on a creature, and ignore all other spell effects on that creature?

For example, say a fighter is currently under the effects of cat's grace, haste, and ray of enfeeblement. Could his wizard friend cast a dispel magic that targets only the ray of enfeeblement effect?

soulsabre345
2010-08-08, 04:16 PM
Q 152
Can you use mage hand to pull items out of backpacks, or to drink a potion when your hands aren't capable of holding one?

Math_Mage
2010-08-08, 04:32 PM
A 151: No. You can target a creature (and all spells on it), or you can target all creatures within an area, or you can attempt to counterspell an individual spell as it's being cast, but you cannot target a particular ongoing spell effect.

In the case of the wizard and fighter, if the wizard cast dispel magic on the fighter, he would make checks against all the spells on the fighter; also, if the wizard was the one who cast the cat's grace and haste effects, he would automatically dispel those. Or the wizard could cast an area dispel that included the fighter in its area of effect, and then would make dispel checks against the spells on the fighter in turn from highest to lowest CL until one was dispelled. But the wizard could not target just the ray of enfeeblement effect.

Whoops, that's my bad. See Douglas' post below.

Yora
2010-08-08, 04:54 PM
A152
As the spell is written, you can only cause one object to move. It is not able to open the fasteners of a backpack, so while you could probably move the potion, you wouldn't get it out of the backpack.
And if you go strictly with raw, you have to see an object to target it with a spell, so you couldn't even get a potion out of an untied sack.

Douglas
2010-08-08, 06:35 PM
A151 dispute

Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm)'s targeted option states "One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell." This is definitely not concerned with counterspelling, as that gets its own section further down, and seems quite clear that a single specific spell can be the target.

soulsabre345
2010-08-08, 07:06 PM
Q 153
If you put a wilding clasp on a ring of arming, then activate the ring while wildshaped, in essence doesn't this give you the capability that with one 9000 gold ring you keep all your gear when wildshaped?

oh and btw thanks for all the answers to the bunch of questions i've been asking, it's very helpful :)

AtwasAwamps
2010-08-08, 07:33 PM
Q154

I am attempting to find textual suppport for the fact that summoned monsters with celestial/fiendish templates (thus 3 int) can follow basic orders. Namely I am looking for textual support that they can understand common by default. Any help would be extremely useful as I have been pouring over my books and can't find it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-08, 07:55 PM
A154: The SRD explicitly states under the Abilities section under Intelligence: "A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise)." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm)

Curmudgeon
2010-08-08, 08:01 PM
A 153 No.

While a Ring of Arming will retrieve your equipment, it won't do the following:

Give your form hands to hold weapons.
Make your armor fit your new form, or operate effectively on that form.
Basically you'll have weapons dropped nearby, and armor bits that encumber you but (because they don't fit your form) don't provide any armor bonus.

The Pressman
2010-08-08, 11:27 PM
Q.155

What would a good encounter level for 5 level 5 characters be?

Math_Mage
2010-08-08, 11:38 PM
A 155: Outside the scope of this thread. Ask in a separate thread with more details about the party. However, a party of 5 level 5 characters represents an ECL of ~10.

Douglas
2010-08-08, 11:44 PM
A 155: Outside the scope of this thread. Ask in a separate thread with more details about the party. However, a party of 5 level 5 characters represents an ECL of ~10.
Note that this is an estimate for what level of encounter would stand about a 50-50 chance of actually beating the party, resulting in a TPK. This is suitable for an extremely tough boss encounter, but not common encounters. A more typical encounter should be Encounter Level (the equivalent of Challenge Rating, but for groups rather than individual monsters) 5 or 6, and each encounter of this level "should" use up about 20% to 25% of the party's daily resources.

Raptor2213
2010-08-08, 11:59 PM

Firstly, I think you are also confusing ECL with CR. Monsters and encounters always have a CR. Players have an ECL. Player ECL is never added together, except to determine average party level when distributing experience.
ECL stands for Equivalent Character Level.
CR stands for Challenge Rating.

While you are right about it being outside the scope of this thread, you seem to be a ways off as to the Equivalent Party Level. I advise you to check out the d20 Encounter Calculator (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) Available on the SRD. 5 lvl 5 characters represent Party Level of 5.6 according to it, and 10 is WAY off regardless of how you run the math. Granted, a good lvl 5 party MAY be able to defeat a book-standard CR 10 monster, but by-the-book, a party of 4 players of roughly equivalent level should be able to handle an encounter or monster with roughly the same CR as the average party level.

The d20 Monster Filter (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20monsterfilter/) may also be a helpful tool for you to select something around the level range you are looking for.

Defiant
2010-08-09, 12:00 AM
A. 155

An encounter level 5 would be "Challenging" for a group of 5 level 5 adventurers.

For more information, consult your Dungeon Master's Guide (for info including the idea that "Challenging" means it should expend around 25% of party resources and rarely result in any death, and that such encounters should make up 50% of all your encounters).

However, this tool is immensely useful:

http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm

EDIT: It seems I failed to notice there was an additional page...

Math_Mage
2010-08-09, 12:26 AM
Firstly, I think you are also confusing ECL with CR. Monsters and encounters always have a CR. Players have an ECL. Player ECL is never added together, except to determine average party level when distributing experience.
ECL stands for Equivalent Character Level.
CR stands for Challenge Rating.

While you are right about it being outside the scope of this thread, you seem to be a ways off as to the Equivalent Party Level. I advise you to check out the d20 Encounter Calculator (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) Available on the SRD. 5 lvl 5 characters represent Party Level of 5.6 according to it, and 10 is WAY off regardless of how you run the math. Granted, a good lvl 5 party MAY be able to defeat a book-standard CR 10 monster, but by-the-book, a party of 4 players of roughly equivalent level should be able to handle an encounter or monster with roughly the same CR as the average party level.

The d20 Monster Filter (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20monsterfilter/) may also be a helpful tool for you to select something around the level range you are looking for.

:smallsigh::smallsigh: EL (not CR) instead of ECL. I'm not trying to run the EPL number. Happy?

Ossian
2010-08-09, 08:24 AM
Q 156
I got a little shock when I checked again the entry for SUMMON MONSTERS (I to whatever) and realized that the "duration is 1 round / level". So technically until a spellcaster is relatively high level the creature will stay for something like 6 to 30 seconds.

Am I reading it correctly or can it be extended by, say, staying concentrated? I need a low level wizard to be a conjurer and frankly even with the "extended Spell" metamagic feat there does not seem much hope to save this from ridicule.

Math_Mage
2010-08-09, 11:08 AM
A 156: No, you cannot extend the duration of a Summon Monster spell by concentrating. However, there are other ways to monkey around with its duration--for example, the Ashbound feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting sourcebook doubles the duration of summons, as well as granting a +3 bonus to attack rolls of summons.

Summoning creatures effectively grants you extra actions, so it makes sense to limit that power by duration at early levels.

WarKitty
2010-08-09, 11:20 AM
Q 157

Can multiple enchantments be added to armor? I have a suit of wild armor that I would like to get further enchanted with something like spell resistance.

Yora
2010-08-09, 11:30 AM
A 157

Yes. Take the costs for the item after the upgrade and substract from it the cost for the original object, and you get the costs for the upgrading process.
It's just as if yo create a new item, and part of the work has already be done.

Raptor2213
2010-08-09, 12:00 PM
Q 157

Can multiple enchantments be added to armor? I have a suit of wild armor that I would like to get further enchanted with something like spell resistance.

A157
Your DMG outlines this in the Magic Armor section.
Any Magical armor can be enhanced further. The limits on it's + for non-epic items is +5, and you can have a total of +12 and be non-epic.

In theory, you could have a +1 armor with 11 additions of a +1 equivalent each.

Douglas
2010-08-09, 12:03 PM
A157
Your DMG outlines this in the Magic Armor section.
Any Magical armor can be enhanced further. The limits on it's + for non-epic items is +5, and you can have a total of +12 and be non-epic.

In theory, you could have a +1 armor with 11 additions of a +1 equivalent each.
Correction: the limit for non-epic total is +10, not +12. At most +5 of that can be actual enhancement bonus.

WarKitty
2010-08-09, 12:06 PM
Q158 Follow-up question:

If you have a bonus of the type that comes in multiple levels (e.g. spell resistance), can you upgrade the bonus you have to a higher level? If so how would it work?

WinWin
2010-08-09, 12:08 PM
A158 yes. This is spelled out in the Magic Item Compendium under Synergy Abilities.

Edit: For example, upgraging a Flaming (+1) to a Flaming Burst (+2) is the same as adding another +1 to the item.

Keld Denar
2010-08-09, 12:09 PM
A 158 The MIC has rules for synergizing abilities. For example, you could upgrade a +1 Flaming sword to a +1 Flaming Burst (why you would want to, I dunno), for the difference between the +2 and +3 equiv weapon. Similarly, you can upgrade Light Fortification to Medium or Heavy by paying the difference. Since SR comes in multiple sizes, you can upgrade from a lower level to a higher level on your gear as you aquire the relevant cash flow.

WinWin
2010-08-09, 12:10 PM
synergy ninjas

Wonton
2010-08-09, 06:39 PM
Q 159

Am I reading Freedom of Movement right?

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement

Does this mean the spell would allow you to pass through a Wall of Force or Wall of Sand? :smallconfused:

Caphi
2010-08-09, 06:45 PM
Q 159

Am I reading Freedom of Movement right?

Does this mean the spell would allow you to pass through a Wall of Force or Wall of Sand? :smallconfused:

A 159

It would allow you to move through an effect that slowed you down such as solid fog. However, wall of force, like wall of stone and wall of iron, creates a physical barrier, which freedom of movement doesn't deal with.

Wonton
2010-08-09, 06:51 PM
A 159

It would allow you to move through an effect that slowed you down such as solid fog. However, wall of force, like wall of stone and wall of iron, creates a physical barrier, which freedom of movement doesn't deal with.

However, the spell specifically mentions Web as one of the spells it negates... is a web not a physical barrier? Obviously, I understand the difference between a wall and a web, but mechanically, aren't both of them magical effects that impede movement (I'm only referring to non-instantaneous walls, such as Wall of Force and Wall of Sand)?

Runestar
2010-08-09, 07:13 PM
Q 156
I got a little shock when I checked again the entry for SUMMON MONSTERS (I to whatever) and realized that the "duration is 1 round / level". So technically until a spellcaster is relatively high level the creature will stay for something like 6 to 30 seconds.

Am I reading it correctly or can it be extended by, say, staying concentrated? I need a low level wizard to be a conjurer and frankly even with the "extended Spell" metamagic feat there does not seem much hope to save this from ridicule.

That's more than enough time for combat (which typically does not last more than 4-5 rounds). I suspect the short duration is to prevent scenarios where monsters with at-will abilities or a lot of SLAs can spam them to their heart's content, or players summoning them well before combat to buff.:smallsmile:

Douglas
2010-08-09, 10:06 PM
However, the spell specifically mentions Web as one of the spells it negates... is a web not a physical barrier? Obviously, I understand the difference between a wall and a web, but mechanically, aren't both of them magical effects that impede movement (I'm only referring to non-instantaneous walls, such as Wall of Force and Wall of Sand)?
Freedom of Movement negates spells that slow you down or prevent you from moving entirely. It does not negate spells that prevent you from taking particular paths.

Math_Mage
2010-08-09, 11:24 PM
Q160: Pursuant to the previous freedom of movement question--a freedom of movement spell does not allow the user to ignore the hampered movement caused by reduced visibility in a solid fog, only the reduction to 5' movement speed from the fog's thickness. Correct?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-10, 12:12 AM
A 160 Yes.

With Solid Fog + Freedom of Movement the user of the latter spell can move at ½ normal speed, due to being effectively blinded. There is no mechanical limitation on movement.

pluizig
2010-08-10, 05:16 AM
Q 161

Is it possible to do less damage in an attack than you actually could? For instance, if you don't want to drop an enemy (below 0HP), but just wound him, could you hold back? Or does an character with STR18 always do a minimum of 5HP damage on a hit, for example?

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-10, 06:33 AM
A 161 There is no rule which allows you to "pull your punches." Damage is always rolled.

That being said, asking your DM to allow you to forfeit your Str bonus would seem to be a sensible house rule, however this thread is focused on the RAW.

Sliver
2010-08-10, 06:35 AM
A 161 Addition

There is a rule about pulling your punches. You take a penalty to your attack and strike in a less lethal matter.

pluizig
2010-08-10, 07:34 AM
A 161 Addition

There is a rule about pulling your punches. You take a penalty to your attack and strike in a less lethal matter.

Thanks. What is the rule, and where can I find it?

Yora
2010-08-10, 07:40 AM
A161

the best thing the rules have is nonleathal damage.

Dealing Nonlethal Damage: Certain attacks deal nonlethal damage. Other effects, such as heat or being exhausted, also deal nonlethal damage. When you take nonlethal damage, keep a running total of how much you’ve accumulated. Do not deduct the nonlethal damage number from your current hit points. It is not “real” damage. Instead, when your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered, and when it exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious. It doesn’t matter whether the nonlethal damage equals or exceeds your current hit points because the nonlethal damage has gone up or because your current hit points have gone down.

Nonlethal Damage with a Weapon that Deals Lethal Damage: You can use a melee weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage instead, but you take a –4 penalty on your attack roll.

Lethal Damage with a Weapon that Deals Nonlethal Damage: You can use a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, including an unarmed strike, to deal lethal damage instead, but you take a –4 penalty on your attack roll.

Staggered and Unconscious: When your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered. You can only take a standard action or a move action in each round. You cease being staggered when your current hit points once again exceed your nonlethal damage.

When your nonlethal damage exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious. While unconscious, you are helpless.

Spellcasters who fall unconscious retain any spellcasting ability they had before going unconscious.

Healing Nonlethal Damage: You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level.

When a spell or a magical power cures hit point damage, it also removes an equal amount of nonlethal damage.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-10, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I guess I assumed that was common knowledge. Thanks for catching my mistake. Still, there's no rules for just dealing "less" damage when attacking.

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-10, 09:53 AM
Q 162

How much does being +1 through +5 increase the cost of a weapon or suit of armor?

Yora
2010-08-10, 09:56 AM
A162
Prices for armor and weapons are found here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsAW.html#armor) and here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsAW.html#weapons).

Is that the info you were looking for?

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-10, 09:59 AM
A162
Prices for armor and weapons are found here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsAW.html#armor) and here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicItemsAW.html#weapons).

Is that the info you were looking for?

It's the same price no matter what weapon or armor it is?

Sliver
2010-08-10, 10:07 AM
It's the price you add. The price of a magical weapon is weapon's price+300(masterworked)+enhancement cost.

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-10, 10:09 AM
OK, I see now. Thanks.

WarKitty
2010-08-10, 11:11 AM
Q163

Is there a feat or ability that allows a creature to make ranged attacks without provoking AoO?

Edit: monster abilities are preferred on this one

Q164
What is the minimum time you can get intimidate down to in combat?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-10, 11:14 AM
A163: There are a few PrC abilities that I can't name off hand that get you there. Other than that, the Arrowmind spell in Spell Compendium does such temporarily and is easier to get.

A164: I believe through use of an armor enhancement you can get Intimidate down to a move action, but I'll let someone else throw the details your way.

W3bDragon
2010-08-10, 11:18 AM
A163 Additional

The prestige class Order of the Bow Initiate from Complete Warrior gets the ability Close Combat Shot, which negates the AoO for using ranged weapons in melee.

WarKitty
2010-08-10, 11:20 AM
Q164

Are there any rules for a creature that has natural ranged weapons? In this case a plant monster that grows and shoots thorns as it's sole natural attack.

Yora
2010-08-10, 11:24 AM
A165
Manticores have natural ranged attacks. You could use them for reference.

Math_Mage
2010-08-10, 11:28 AM
A164 Cont'd: The Fearsome Armor enhancement from Drow of the Underdark allows you to Intimidate as a move action. A class ability of the Avenging Executioner from Complete Scoundrel allows you to Demoralize as a swift action. The tactical feat Combat Panache from Player's Handbook II allows you to Intimidate a foe as a move action if you dealt damage to him the previous turn, as well as doing a couple of other things. There are probably others.

WarKitty
2010-08-10, 11:28 AM
A165
Manticores have natural ranged attacks. You could use them for reference.

They still take AoO's for launching their spike volley though? That was sort of the problem in the session.

Math_Mage
2010-08-10, 11:55 AM
A165 Cont'd:

In the general case, ranged natural attacks still provoke. The only clause in the rules text about natural attacks related to attacks of opportunity is that a creature using a natural weapon does not provoke for melee attacks, because it counts as armed. You can houserule that natural ranged weapons do not provoke--I doubt it would unbalance the encounter--but that's outside the scope of this thread.

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-10, 12:13 PM
A 165

Arrow Demons from MMIII have an ability that lets them fire their bows without provoking.

JaronK
2010-08-10, 01:27 PM
Q164
What is the minimum time you can get intimidate down to in combat?

The absolute minimum is a Swift Action. Zhentarium Fighter 9 (a racial substitution found in a web enhancement) gives you this ability. Others have mentioned other abilities.

JaronK

Escheton
2010-08-10, 07:48 PM
q 166How do the feat rapid reload and the enhancement quickloading interact with the great crossbow? Independant and separate.
Neither mentions how it effects full round action reload crossbows.
Mainly because it didn't exist at the time I figure.
edit: hmm, should have read up on loading times of the basic weapon crossbows.

Math_Mage
2010-08-11, 12:15 AM
A 166

Both Rapid Reload and the Quick Loading enhancement do deal with full-round action reloading times. Specifically, they deal with heavy crossbows, and reduce the full-round action to a move action. RAW, neither deals specifically with the great crossbow; RAI, the identical description of reloading for each suggests that the feat should do the same thing for each of them, but that's a separate issue.

Escheton
2010-08-11, 04:13 AM
Q167 Can you use psionic shot with eldritch blast?

Yora
2010-08-11, 04:22 AM
A167
Psionic Shots only says "Ranged Attacks", so it would be possible.
While the prerequisite Feat "Point Blank Shot" says "ranged weapon", this feat is explicitly mentioned under "Feats and Weaponlike Spells" as a feat that can be used with Invocations.
So by RAW, everything says you can.

Gnaritas
2010-08-11, 12:59 PM
Q168

Chameleon (Races of Destiny page 113)

If at level 7 you gain Double Aptitude. Would this result in being able to get the Ability Boon twice?
The way i read it, it does, but i am not sure if it was intended.
Providing a source if available would help.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-11, 01:25 PM
A 168 Yes.

You must choose two different Aptitude Focuses, but each choice may include any Ability Boon, which could be the same ability each time. However, as this is the same source, the result of taking the same Ability Boon boost twice would be the same as taking it once.

Edit: Corrected goofs.

Gnaritas
2010-08-11, 01:38 PM
A 168 Yes.

You must choose two different Aptitude Focuses, but each choice may include any Aptitude Boon, which could be the same aptitude each time.

You've already got the source, and you've read it correctly.

I am a bit confused. I guess you mean Ability Boon, but what i do not understand is "which could be the same aptitude each time".
If you mean ability there too, would they stack? because i thought it would be the same source, hence no stacking.
If you mean aptitude, it says you cannot take the same aptitude twice.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-11, 02:43 PM
I am a bit confused. I guess you mean Ability Boon
I really thought I was awake when I posted that answer, but clearly that wasn't the case. I apologize. While there's no rules issue with you taking Ability Boon twice when you gain Double Aptitude, there would be no increased effect from doing so.

I've corrected the answer for improved readability by those in possession of a working brain. :smallsigh:

soulsabre345
2010-08-11, 05:33 PM
Q169a

how exactly are initiator levels from various classes handled? do you have a separate initiator level for each maneuver-using class you have or one overall IL that you use to determine what maneuvers you can pick?

i.e if you are a warblade 2/swordsage 4 is your IL 6, or for new levels in warblade it's IL 4 and for new levels in swordsage it's IL 5?

Keld Denar
2010-08-11, 05:36 PM
A 169

Initiator levels for all initiator classes are added seperately. Its possible to have 3 different ILs at any given time, assuming you have levels in each Swordage, Crusader, and Warblade. Warblade (and IL advancing PrCs) are the only class levels that count 1:1 for your Warblade IL. Swordsage levels only advance your Warblade IL by 1:2, but advance your Swordsage IL by 1:1.

Example: A Warblade4/Swordsage2 would have a Warblade IL of 5 (4x1 + 2x.5) and a Swordsage IL of 4 (4x.5 + 2x1). If he added a level of Swordsage, he would have a Swordsage IL of 5 and could learn a 3rd level manevuer. If he instead took a level of Warblade, his WB IL would be 6, meaning his Warblade Leading the Charge stance would add 6 damage.

Make sense?

EDIT:
You have 2 seperate pools of manevuers. You can only ready manevuers known as Warblade manevuers in Warblade slots. Each pool of maneuvers is recovered seperately, unless you use Adaptive Style. The only way they interact is when you are counting manevuers known for prereqs, IE if you knew Wolf Fang Strike as a Warblade, you could later take Sudden Leap as a Swordsage, since you know 1 Tiger Claw manevuer (since Sudden Leap as a prereq of 1 Tiger Claw maneuver).

Douglas
2010-08-11, 05:36 PM
A169

You have a separate initiator level for each class. This is explained on page 39 of Tome of Battle.

A169b

The maneuvers known and readied for each class are tracked separately, and the recovery mechanism for each class only recovers maneuvers from that class. Maneuvers from each class do count for satisfying prerequisites to learn other maneuvers, but that is the only way maneuvers from one class can count for another.

soulsabre345
2010-08-11, 05:43 PM
Q170

What about for the adaptive style feat? can you refresh both classes' maneuver list with using this feat once?

Keld Denar
2010-08-11, 05:53 PM
A 170

Yes, although this would be inferior for a Warblade or Crusader, as their manevuer lists refresh with much less action. If you were a Swordsage with dips in either, it would be worth it.

Math_Mage
2010-08-11, 11:33 PM
Q171

Can a character with 2 levels in the Skullclan Hunter prestige class sneak attack a ghost? I'm stuck between the interpretation that the incorporeality still grants immunity, and the interpretation that the divine strike ability grants a blanket exception to sneak attack immunity for all undead. Here's the text of the ability for reference:

Divine Strike (Ex): Due to his specialized skill, training, and
connection with the forces of light, a skullclan hunter of 2nd
level or higher can make a special attack that is infused with
positive energy. Effectively, this ability allows him to deal extra
damage to undead as though making a sneak attack. Divine
strike damage applies to any sneak attack dice the skullclan
hunter already has, as well as those gained through advancement
in this class.

If it just said "You may sneak attack undead," the answer would be unambiguously "No, you can't sneak attack ghosts." It's the "You may deal extra damage with positive energy as if making a sneak attack" phrasing that trips me up.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-12, 12:06 AM
A171: As the Incorporeal subtype gives no defenses against precession damage, such a character would be able to sneak attack a ghost.

Math_Mage
2010-08-12, 12:23 AM
Q171 Cont'd

There's no mention of it in the subtype description, but...

Spectres, wraiths, and a few other creatures lack physical bodies. Such creatures are insubstantial and can’t be touched by nonmagical matter or energy. Likewise, they cannot manipulate objects or exert physical force on objects. However, incorporeal beings have a tangible presence that sometimes seems like a physical attack against a corporeal creature.
[...]
Incorporeal creatures are immune to critical hits, extra damage from being favored enemies, and from sneak attacks.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-12, 03:23 AM
A 171 Yes.

As I read this, Divine Strike allows you to deliver damage that mostly functions like a sneak attack, to all undead. There are both differences and similarities to a normal sneak attack:

Regardless of the original type of damage (whether from a weapon or weaponlike spell), the Divine Strike damage is always positive energy. The normal rule for sneak attacks is that sneak attack damage is of the same type as that for the primary attack.
Excepting Divine Strike damage, all other limitations of a creature regarding immunity to critical hits and sneak attack remain in effect. So a critical hit with Divine Strike wouldn't deal any extra damage if the creature is immune to critical hits.
Divine Strike, like regular sneak attack, is extra damage, and won't be dealt if the primary attack fails to deal damage. So against a ghost, a magic weapon or weaponlike spell will still only have a 50% chance of being effective.
Divine Strike only applies to sneak attack dice, so bonus sneak attack damage from the Craven feat would not apply against undead.

Thurbane
2010-08-12, 06:04 AM
Q 172

Does the Collector of Stories skill trick (CS) count toward the Knowledge roll for the Knowledge Devotion feat (CC), and/or the Archivists Dark Knowledge class feature (HoH)?

squishycube
2010-08-12, 06:12 AM
A 172 partial
I don't have CC available right now, so someone else needs to verify my answer for the Knowledge devotion feat. I'd say the by RAW the answer is yes. For the Archivist I do foresee DMs making trouble: the skill tricks are balanced by limited use, but that limit is much higher than the limit on the Dark Knowledge uses. That would mean that the bonus is de facto permanent. I imagine some DMs won't allow this combo because of that.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-12, 08:35 AM
A 172

The Collector of Stories trick may only be used with "a trained Knowledge check to identify a creature or to learn its special powers or vulnerabilities". Learning creature vulnerabilities is an exact match to the Knowledge Devotion feat's bonus to attack and damage against particular creature types, so that one's a yes.

Dark Knowledge requires a more complex answer, as that's actually composed of a number of different abilities.

Tactics: "The archivist knows the general combat behaviors of creatures of that race" doesn't fit either "special powers" or "vulnerabilities", so that's a no.
Puissance: "... help his allies fight off the corrupting influence of other creatures. Allies ... gain a +1 bonus on saving throws against the affected creature’s abilities." Any creature ability requiring a saving throw falls under the "special powers" category, so that answer is yes.
Foe: "... an archivist can direct his allies to attack vital spots of his enemies." That's "vulnerabilities", so yes.
Dread Secret: "By speaking aloud a dread secret of the target creature, an archivist ... can dazzle a target creature". That seems like it's targeting a creature's "vulnerabilities", so this one's also yes.
Foreknowledge: "... an archivist can better prepare his allies for the attacks of the affected creature, making it harder for the creature to land blows". That's a maybe: yes if the attack represents use of a creature's "special powers", but more likely no for most attacks.

Escheton
2010-08-12, 08:39 PM
Q173 Do Duergar qualify for things that require "race: dwarf" such as dwarven throwers and the Dwarven Defender prestigeclass?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-12, 08:50 PM
A173: As duegar have the "dwarf" subtype they thereby qualify for all prestige classes, feats, and abilities that care about them being a dwarf. The only exception to this would be true dragonmarks introduced in the Eberron Campaign Setting as they explicitly care about the particular subrace involved.

IdleMuse
2010-08-12, 09:42 PM
Q174 Are there any ways, other than Cleric and Divine Crusader, to get the Law domain without any prior divine (or arcane) spellcasting?

PId6
2010-08-12, 09:51 PM
A 174

Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) can get you the domain power of that domain, as can a wizard 5th level ACF from Complete Champion. Arcane Disciple gets you the spells of that domain (though that does require arcane casting). There are several divine PrCs as well that can grant it (Contemplative, Sovereign Speaker, Ordained Champion, Rainbow Servant, and some others), but those all require casting of some kind.

Rannil
2010-08-13, 09:12 AM
Q 175
Does a Howling Chain (SCP) spell suffer from concealment misses made by Fog Cloud or a similar vision based concealment effect?

Raptor2213
2010-08-13, 12:38 PM
A174 Expanded
See also the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) for a good listing of all the core stuff that grants domains.

Math_Mage
2010-08-13, 05:39 PM
Q175

Can a creature threaten another creature without being able to hit it? For example, can a character without magic weapons flank an incorporeal creature?

Runestar
2010-08-13, 05:45 PM
Q175

Can a creature threaten another creature without being able to hit it? For example, can a character without magic weapons flank an incorporeal creature?
Yes. Apparently, nothing in the rules seems to contradict it! :smallamused:

WarKitty
2010-08-14, 09:49 AM
Q176

How long does a metamagic version of a spontaneously cast spell with a one round casting time take?

Rannil
2010-08-14, 10:14 AM
A 176 (177)

If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.)

For a spell with a longer casting time, it takes an extra full-round action to cast the spell.

From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm), under the heading meta magics.

Also bumping my own questions.

Q 175
Does a Howling Chain (SCP) spell suffer from concealment misses made by Fog Cloud or a similar vision based concealment effect?

And the numbering went wrong after me, the next question should be 178.

SillySymphonies
2010-08-14, 10:56 AM
Q 178 (?)
Pixie (greater invisibility at will) rogue1. What are the rules for sneak attacking and flat-footed-ness while invisble in a prolonged fight? References please.

PId6
2010-08-14, 11:04 AM
Q 178 (?)
Pixie (greater invisibility at will) rogue1. What are the rules for sneak attacking and flat-footed-ness while invisble in a prolonged fight? References please.
A 178

While invisible, you get +2 attack vs sighted enemies that cannot see you, and they lose their Dex to AC against your attacks (this lets you Sneak Attack them; they're not actually flat-footed though). In addition, enemies need to guess what square you're in to attack you, and they still have a 50% miss chance.

Full rules can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility).

WarKitty
2010-08-14, 02:11 PM
A 176 (177)

From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm), under the heading meta magics.

Also bumping my own questions.

And the numbering went wrong after me, the next question should be 178.

Followup: So if I started casting the spell on round 1, the effects of the spell would come into play at the beginning of round 3?

Sliver
2010-08-14, 02:17 PM
Followup: So if I started casting the spell on round 1, the effects of the spell would come into play at the beginning of round 3?

No, full round casting means that you begin casting at round 1, cast through the round (so you may be interrupted on others' turns) and finish slightly before turn 2, so as your second round begins, the spell is cast and the effect is in play.

WarKitty
2010-08-14, 02:41 PM
No, full round casting means that you begin casting at round 1, cast through the round (so you may be interrupted on others' turns) and finish slightly before turn 2, so as your second round begins, the spell is cast and the effect is in play.

Talking about the metamagic version here...the spell takes effect on round 3 on my initiative count right before I act, correct?

Rannil
2010-08-14, 03:10 PM
Talking about the metamagic version here...the spell takes effect on round 3 on my initiative count right before I act, correct?

That is correct.

Defiant
2010-08-14, 04:18 PM

That is correct.

No, it is not. The rules state that a spell with 1-round casting time takes an extra full-round action.

1 round and full round are different casting times. The former finishes on the beginning of next turn, while the latter finishes on the end of the current turn.

As such, the spell would take effect at the end of round 2 on your initiative count.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-14, 04:33 PM
Q179
Would the CPsi Soulbow's Mind Arrow feature count as drawing a weapon for the OA skill Iaijutsu Focus?

EDIT: Oh yeah. I didn't even look at Iaijutsu Focus before asking. [/facepalm]

Curmudgeon
2010-08-14, 04:48 PM
A 179 No.

Arrows of any sort are in the ammunition category. While arrows would count as melee weapons if used in an improvised fashion in melee, and Iaijutsu Focus is restricted to use with drawn melee weapons, a Soulbow's Mind Arrow is created rather than drawn and projected as a missile rather than used in melee. So the Mind Arrow is incompatible with Iaijutsu Focus in multiple ways.

Rannil
2010-08-14, 05:02 PM
A 176 (177) supplemental, more

No, it is not. The rules state that a spell with 1-round casting time takes an extra full-round action.

1 round and full round are different casting times. The former finishes on the beginning of next turn, while the latter finishes on the end of the current turn.

As such, the spell would take effect at the end of round 2 on your initiative count.

I believe you are mistaken.

A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.
Source: SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm), under the header "Casting a spell"

Metamagics adds another full-round action. So yes it would finish in round three, just before the caster's initiative.

Raptor2213
2010-08-14, 07:40 PM
Q180
There is a minor debate going about this in our circle, so I'm wondering if there is any errata, clarifications, or insight pertaining to this.

A Ring of Sustenance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#sustenance) says that "its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep".
For comparison, the Elf description says that, "An resting in this fashion [meditating] gains the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
The rest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#rest) section of the description for preparing spells on the SRD (which is not word-for-word what the PHB says), says, "To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells. "

So, the question is, does a character wearing a ring of Sustenance require 8 hours of actual in-game time to regain spells, or only 2?

Defiant
2010-08-14, 07:55 PM
A 176 (177) supplemental, more

I believe you are mistaken.

Source: SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm), under the header "Casting a spell"

Metamagics adds another full-round action. So yes it would finish in round three, just before the caster's initiative.

Hmmm... in that case, where's the distinction between the full-round casting time and the 1-round casting time? It seems ambiguous.

Basically here's my problem: 1-round casting time does this, full-round casting time does that. They each take one "full round action" in terms of action (even though the 1-round takes longer, it still takes a "full-round action" by technical standards).

Then this metamagic thing tells us that it adds a "full round action". Yet we do not know which type of full-round action. The 1-round casting time type of full round action, or the full-round casting time of full round action.

God, "full round" no longer makes any sense to me as words after writing it so much lol

Math_Mage
2010-08-14, 08:51 PM
A176 (177)

If a spell’s normal casting
time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version of the
spell is a full-round action for a spontaneous spellcaster. This
isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time—the spell takes effect
during the same turn that the spellcaster begins casting it.
Metamagic spells that have a longer casting time take an
extra full-round action to cast spontaneously.

There is your distinction between full-round casting and 1-round casting. Metamagic spells with a 1-round casting time require 2 full-round actions to cast, and take effect at the beginning of the character's turn in the third round.

Defiant
2010-08-14, 09:09 PM
A176 (177)

There is your distinction between full-round casting and 1-round casting. Metamagic spells with a 1-round casting time require 2 full-round actions to cast, and take effect at the beginning of the character's turn in the third round.

You didn't get my issue.

Spell takes 1-round to cast.
Metamagicked spell takes 1-round + an additional "full round action" to cast.

"Full-round action" includes casting spells with 1-round casting times and casting spells with full-round action casting times.

This additional "full round action" isn't distinguished between being a full-round action full-round casting time, casting the spell at the end of second turn; or full-round action 1-round casting time, casting the spell at the beginning of third turn.

Raptor2213
2010-08-14, 10:49 PM
I had a friend do something similar to the first one in a game and wanted to know if it was book-legal in retrospect.

Q181a
A medium-sized human with INT 10 pays a wizard to Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) him into a large-sized plant that normally has an INT of 12, and then has the wizard then turn him into the same creature again using Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). What is the duration of the Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) spell?
Theoretically, the effect would not be stacking, as it is two separate spells (even though their effect is similar). Also, based off the read of Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), the duration is set when the spell is cast and is not variable afterward.

Q181b
A medium-sized human with INT 10 pays a wizard to Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) him into a large-sized plant that normally has an INT of 12, and then has the wizard then turn him into the same creature again using Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). What is the duration of the second Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) spell?
Theoretically, the effect would not stack, as it is one spell twice, however the effect would overlap (the way I read it). Again, based off the read of Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), the duration is set when the spell is cast and is not variable afterward.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-15, 12:03 AM
Q182

Is Legendary Artisan (feat from Eberron Cam. Set. that reduces crafted item XP costs) affected by Exteaordinary Artisan (feat from the same book tha reduces crafted item gp costs)?

Basically do you use the new reduced gp cost or do you use the original gp cost to determine the base XP cost?

Q183
Can you take 10 on Craft checks?

Peregrine
2010-08-15, 12:32 AM
You didn't get my issue.

Spell takes 1-round to cast.
Metamagicked spell takes 1-round + an additional "full round action" to cast.

"Full-round action" includes casting spells with 1-round casting times and casting spells with full-round action casting times.

This additional "full round action" isn't distinguished between being a full-round action full-round casting time, casting the spell at the end of second turn; or full-round action 1-round casting time, casting the spell at the beginning of third turn.

Or diagrammatically:

Start of End of Start of
your turn your turn … your turn
| | … |
|◀ Full-round ▶| … |
| action | … |
| … |
|◀ One round ▶|

As far as I know, there are no "full-round action" spells, only "1 round" spells. That doesn't by itself solve the spontaneous metamagic problem, as you still have these possibilities: 1 round (normal casting) + 1 round (metamagic) 1 round (normal casting) + full-round action (metamagic) But, the second of these could be reordered as "full-round action + 1 round", which is effectively identical to the first.

So I would interpret RAW to mean that a 1-round spell, with spontaneously applied metamagic, comes into effect at the start of your turn, two rounds hence.

EDIT: If I'm wrong and there are "full-round action" spells, then I'd suppose that applying metamagic means they still come into effect at the end of your turn, as normal, just one round later.

Rannil
2010-08-15, 01:04 AM
A176 (177)
This issue is not yet resolved and is going the discussion route. So I made a topic.
One round spell casting vs full round spell casting + metamagics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164251).

Let's also be useful here:
A 183
Yes you can take 10 on a craft check.

When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10.
SRD link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm), under the header "Taking 10".

The chance of failing only comes in play when taking a 20.

tyckspoon
2010-08-15, 01:05 AM
A 180
A person wearing a Ring of Sustenance still requires 8 hours of 'restful calm'. The rules are careful to differentiate that from actual sleep, because they had to keep Elves and other things that sleep less/do not need to sleep in mind. If the Wizard is wearing the Ring, it simply means he has 6 hours in which he may read Garfield or something instead of sleeping should he so choose.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-15, 01:23 AM
Q184

One of the prerequisites for Swift Wild Shape from Complete Champion is "Fast Wild Shape." Do I need the feat, or can I qualify with the Master of Many Forms ability by the same name?

Darth Crater
2010-08-15, 01:33 AM
Q185

Are there any light weapons that are also reach weapons? I'm trying to make the Phalanx Fighting feat from Complete Warrior resemble an actual phalanx...

Private-Prinny
2010-08-15, 01:46 AM
Q185

Are there any light weapons that are also reach weapons? I'm trying to make the Phalanx Fighting feat from Complete Warrior resemble an actual phalanx...

A185

The Kusari-Gama (DMG p.145) is a light weapon that works like a Spiked Chain. It is also an exotic weapon, so you'll need to drop a feat on it.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-15, 03:31 AM
A 184

Swift Wild Shape does not specify that Fast Wild Shape must be the feat. Since the Master of Many Forms ability functions identically to the feat, either one will meet the prerequisites of Swift Wild Shape.

Volthawk
2010-08-15, 03:41 AM
Q 186

When using Alternate Form, do you gain the skill bonuses of the form you take? So would, for example, you gain the +2 bonus to Hide, Listen and Spot if you took the form of a Gargoyle?

jpreem
2010-08-15, 06:47 AM
If i sneak attack with a touch or ray spell that does ability score damage, what kind of sneak attack damage will SA do . ( Negative energy, ability score damage, undescribed?)

For example Poison, Drd 3. does 1d10 con damage on touch. my DrdX/rogue1 sneaks attacks - what will the rogue do 1d10 con + 1d6 ??????????

Sliver
2010-08-15, 06:50 AM
A 187

From Complete Arcane:

The exception is spells that deal energy drain or ability damage, which deal negative energy damage on a sneak attack, not extra negative levels or ability damage.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-15, 06:56 AM
If i sneak attack with a touch or ray spell that does ability score damage, what kind of sneak attack damage will SA do . ( Negative energy, ability score damage, undescribed?)

For example Poison, Drd 3. does 1d10 con damage on touch. my DrdX/rogue1 sneaks attacks - what will the rogue do 1d10 con + 1d6 ??????????

Rules Compendium, 136:
Successful precision damage done with spells do damage of the same type of the spell, unless it is ability damage. Then it deals hit point damage from negative energy.

Raptor2213
2010-08-15, 07:39 AM
Q 186

A186
When using Alternate Form, do you gain the skill bonuses of the form you take? So would, for example, you gain the +2 bonus to Hide, Listen and Spot if you took the form of a Gargoyle?
Alternate form says, "This ability works much like the Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) spell". Though it does not specifically mention skills, I would assume that they merely abbreviated the descriptions for it, and use Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) as a guideline. Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) says it works as per Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm), which says, "You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind, Physical qualities include, ...racial skill bonuses..."

DanReiv
2010-08-15, 08:30 AM
Hi guyz

Q188

So I'm kinda lost with this build, help me figure it out :smallbiggrin:

Thri-Kreen totemist/sharklord with giraillon's arms totem and a natural bite attack, enough BAB to get 3 attacks, and multiattack & multi weapon fighting feats.

How the does the full attack routine resolve ? (yes i'm trying to get as much attacks/round for some pouncing madness :smallbiggrin:)

ex cathedra
2010-08-15, 09:08 AM
A188

Mainhand -4/Mainhand -9/Mainhand -14/Offhand1 -4/Offhand2 -4/Offhand3 -4/Bite -2/Claw -2/Claw -2/Claw -2/Claw -2, as far as I can tell. Apply the given numbers to your attack bonus to get your net attack.

soulsabre345
2010-08-15, 11:52 AM
Q189

How exactly is it handled when a creature with above 6 bab and multiple natural attacks attacks in a grapple? do they get to use all of their attacks for each iterative, or consume the iteratives to use all of their weapons?

(i.e. creature with 4 natural attacks and 15 bab, which is correct, a,b, or c?
a: 3 attacks, 1 at 15 bab, 1 at 10 bab, and 1 at 5 bab
b: 12 attacks, 4 at 15 bab, 4 at 10 bab, 4 at 5 bab
c: 4 attacks, 4 at 15 bab, uses up all attack actions to perform these 4
)

and if it is c wouldn't it mean a creature with less natural attacks than iteratives becomes significantly stronger within a grapple?

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-15, 12:47 PM
A 189

This is actually a very strange situation die to the interaction of two rules:

Creatures don’t receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons.

A creature can attack with only one of its natural weapons on its turn while grappling, unless it has a special ability that allows it to do otherwise or its description provides an exception. This attack is usually made with the creature’s primary natural weapon.

The creature will only be able to make a single attack if it attacks with a natural weapon in a grapple, since it will then be denied iterative attacks.

If you attack with a handheld weapon or unarmed strike first, you encounter this rule:

You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons.

You would only be able to use the first weapon you attacked with, and will therefore be denied all secondary natural weapon attacks.

Raptor2213
2010-08-15, 12:56 PM
A 189
You would only be able to use the first weapon you attacked with, and will therefore be denied all secondary natural weapon attacks.

No, you could use any light weapon you are wielding, so if you, say, attacked with a claw attack when you initiated the grapple, you could follow up the next round with a bite attack or a dagger (assuming you had one, or were wielding the other).
Grapple does NOT say that you can only attack with a weapon you used to initiate it, so we must go to normal rules for attacking when wielding multiple weapons.

soulsabre345
2010-08-15, 01:00 PM
Q 189 followup

I was looking mostly at these 2 pages when i was asking the question, this gives the inclination that at the very least option a is relevant

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050301a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050322a

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-15, 01:20 PM
No, you could use any light weapon you are wielding, so if you, say, attacked with a claw attack when you initiated the grapple, you could follow up the next round with a bite attack or a dagger (assuming you had one, or were wielding the other).
Grapple does NOT say that you can only attack with a weapon you used to initiate it, so we must go to normal rules for attacking when wielding multiple weapons.

I meant in a given full attack. You can change the weapon you use from round to round, but in a given round you can't switch to a claw after attacking with a dagger because you would then be using two weapons.

StreetPizza
2010-08-15, 01:35 PM
Q190

Would I incur the -2 penalty for oversized weapons if I were to wield a large sized one handed weapon in both hands?

Snake-Aes
2010-08-15, 01:36 PM
Q190

Would I incur the -2 penalty for oversized weapons if I were to wield a large sized one handed weapon in both hands?

A190
Yes. The weapon is still oversized for you.