PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIV

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Raptor2213
2010-08-15, 01:45 PM
Q190
Would I incur the -2 penalty for oversized weapons if I were to wield a large sized one handed weapon in both hands?

There is a feat called, "Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting" that can negate this (from PHB2 I think).

Claudius Maximus
2010-08-15, 01:48 PM
There is a feat called, "Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting" that can negate this (from PHB2 I think).

Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting is from Complete Adventurer, and it does not work like that. Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting allows one to use two one-handed weapons at a -2 penalty to attack rolls, instead of the normal -4.

Frosty
2010-08-15, 07:27 PM
Q. 191
When I polymorph or Wildshape into something with Improved Grab (Ex), I do not actually gain that ability correct?

PId6
2010-08-15, 07:36 PM
Q. 191
When I polymorph or Wildshape into something with Improved Grab (Ex), I do not actually gain that ability correct?
A 191

Since Improved Grab is an extraordinary special attack, yes you do.

Frosty
2010-08-15, 07:41 PM
Actually wait...I just downloaded the errata. Wildshape is now based on Alternate Form not on Polymorph...

PId6
2010-08-15, 07:45 PM
A 191 Continued

Same thing. From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm):

The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.

Cheesy74
2010-08-15, 08:50 PM
REPOSTING Q 70

Does using a cognizance crystal to manifest a psionic power allow you to exceed the limit of your manifester level for points spent? I can't find a rule on this. Also, what type of action is it to recharge the crystal? The XPH says you can recharge it with your own power points on a 1-to-1 basis but doesn't specify how long this takes to do.

WarKitty
2010-08-15, 08:51 PM
Q192

Are there any rules or costs pertaining to researching a new spell other than the 1 week and 1000 gp per spell level?

Douglas
2010-08-15, 08:56 PM
REPOSTING Q 70

Does using a cognizance crystal to manifest a psionic power allow you to exceed the limit of your manifester level for points spent? I can't find a rule on this.
No, it does not. The rule limiting the number of power points spent on a single power does not care where those power points are coming from. So long as you are the one manifesting the power, its maximum augmentation and metapsionics limit is determined by your manifester level no matter what the source of the power points is.

Also, what type of action is it to recharge the crystal? The XPH says you can recharge it with your own power points on a 1-to-1 basis but doesn't specify how long this takes to do.
The default time for using activated magic items is a standard action.

Thurbane
2010-08-15, 09:16 PM
Q192

Are there any rules or costs pertaining to researching a new spell other than the 1 week and 1000 gp per spell level?
A 192

AFAIK, no, there are not any further published rules or guidelines. It's in the realm for the DM to hash out with the player(s).

Stompy
2010-08-15, 09:47 PM
Q193

What are the stats (incubation time, damage, etc.) for mummy rot? The mummy entry and the diseases section in the SRD contradict each other.

PId6
2010-08-15, 09:57 PM
Q193

What are the stats (incubation time, damage, etc.) for mummy rot? The mummy entry and the diseases section in the SRD contradict each other.
A 193

It follows the entry under mummy, since text trumps table.

Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 1 minute; damage 1d6 Con and 1d6 Cha.

Peregrine
2010-08-16, 06:10 AM
Q 189 dissenting

I have seen (and recently used) an interpretation that says, yes, monsters with BAB +6 or more can make multiple natural weapon attacks in a grapple, even though they don't normally get iterative attacks.

Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action). If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but at successively lower base attack bonuses.

Since it is BAB that is the decider for multiple grapple "attacks", not what one is actually wielding, high-BAB monsters can attempt any of the following multiple times in a round: break or escape a grapple, start or break a pin, use opponent's light weapon against it, deal unarmed strike damage, and... attack with a light or natural weapon.

And even if they only have one natural weapon, they can use it multiple times in a grapple. (I personally rule that they can only use one natural weapon per round, but that's not RAW.)

StreetPizza
2010-08-16, 08:06 AM
Q194

Can I use a maneuver initiated with a standard action from ToB as a ready action?

Raptor2213
2010-08-16, 08:15 AM
A194
Yup, so long as you had a standard action available to ready it.

kubuh
2010-08-16, 09:17 AM
Q195

Spell compendium has many domains explained, stating whether the domain power activation is a free action or a standard action etc. However, Wrath domain does not state any kind of action to activate it, nor does it state if it is a supernatural ability or something similar. I tried my best to figure out what kind of action it is to activate the wrath domain ability (-wisdom + strength) from spell compendium but i couldn't, maybe someone can help me with it?

Frosty
2010-08-16, 11:36 AM
Q. 196

What is the base save progression of a Dire Bear? Reverse-engineering from the stat block in the Monster Manual, I'm finding that all three of its saves follow thr Good progression. Is that really correct? If so, then it's even more awesome as an animal companion than I gave it credit for.

12 HD. Fort 12, Ref 9, Will 9. Con is 19 (so +4 mod). Dex is 13 (+1 mod). Wis is 12 (+1 mod). That makes its base saves 8/8/8, which is a Good progression for someone with 12 HD.

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 11:48 AM
A196 Creatures' BAB, saves, and skills are progressed by type. Check the SRD under creature types (or the section on Dire Animals) for more details. Dire Animals do indeed have all good saves, just like Outsiders.

nefele
2010-08-16, 02:08 PM
Q197

I am outside an Antimagic Field and I throw a missile to a target inside the AMF. Its damage depends on my Strength modifier. Does the bonus from Belt of Giant Strength apply?

Frosty
2010-08-16, 02:20 PM
A197 Assuming the fact that the damage is based on your Str isn't due to some magic on the missile itself (which it usually isn't, since default rules use your Str bonus for damage anyways), then yes your belt of giant str applies.

The belt modifies your body. Since your body is outside the AMF, the belt has its full effect. Once the missile leaves your hand, propelled by your magically-enhanced arm, the rest is just physics.

nefele
2010-08-16, 02:25 PM
Q198

Similarly: I am outside an Antimagic Field and I throw a missile to a target inside the AMF. Its damage depends on a competence or insight or unnamed bonus, which is derived [exclusively or partially] from a magic item. Does the item bonus apply?

PId6
2010-08-16, 02:32 PM
Q197

I am outside an Antimagic Field and I throw a missile to a target inside the AMF. Its damage depends on my Strength modifier. Does the bonus from Belt of Giant Strength apply?
A 197

I can't find any definitive answer in the Rules Compendium, and I doubt one exists given the sketchy nature of the antimagic rules. The closest I can find is the quote that a magic weapon that is "used to attack a creature inside an antimagic area gain none of the benefits of its magic properties" (RC 11). It doesn't mention benefits beyond the magic properties on the weapon itself, so I believe by RAW any modifiers based on magic items outside the AMF still counts.

Now, by a RAMS perspective, if you're outside an AMF and throw something inside it while wearing a Belt of Giant Strength, it makes sense that the strength of your throw won't be lessened when it hits the AMF, whether or not it was magical in origin.

Frosty
2010-08-16, 02:49 PM
A198

If you have some sort of magic arrow (like a +1 flaming arrow for example), then when it enters the AMF, both the bonus to-hit and the bonus to damage will disappear.

Even if it was the bow that grants each of its projectiles fired some magical properties, once the projectile reaches the AMF all of the magic is supressed.

So no, item bonuses do NOT apply if any part of the magical item itself enters the AMF.

nefele
2010-08-16, 02:57 PM
Q198 cont.

I apologize, I should have phrased it better. The magic items which grant competence or insight or unnamed bonus to damage are worn. They don't apply only to the missile in question, but any attack I make.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-16, 03:00 PM
Q198 cont.

I apologize, I should have phrased it better. The magic items which grant competence or insight or unnamed bonus to damage are worn. They don't apply only to the missile in question, but any attack I make.

A198
It's just not clear anywhere, so its up to your decision. If the magic is granted to YOU, then it makes sense amf won't suppress it.

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 03:01 PM
A 198

Assuming you are refering to items like Bracers of Archery, IWIN Stones, and a Stone of Luck, then yes, they would all apply to ranged attacks made from outside of an AMF at a target in the AMF. Weapon enhancement bonuses are the only bonuses explicitly called out as not working.

Frosty
2010-08-16, 03:03 PM
A198 cont.

Then the AMF has no effect. The Insight bonus, for example, gives YOU an insight of where exactly to throw the weapon for best chances of hitting. Once the weapon is has been thrown, the AMF couldn't care less about *how* the weapon received its course of flight in the first place. In fact, the AMF has no way of knowing. Ballista. Thrown from hand. Bullrushed from Bigby's <something> hand. Whatever. It's all the same.

The bonuses apply as long as YOU (and hence the worn items) stay out of the AMF.

Frosty
2010-08-16, 03:22 PM
Q.199

The spell "Bite of the Weretiger" [SpC p. 28] gives you some natural weapons. The spell specifies how much damage the weapons do, and also specifies how much damage the weapons do instead if the subject is Small sized.

However, there are no provision for subjects of any other size. What if a Tiny-sized or Large-sized or Huge-sized creature is the beneficiary of this spell?

Should I use standard size-inrease and size-decrease rules to determine the damage done by the natural weapons? If so, then my druid wild-shaped into a Large-sized bear of some sort casting this spell would gain a Bite attack that does 3d6+Str bon/2 for example. The animal companion that she might have Animal-Growthed into Huge size would have a bite attack of 4d6+Str bon/2.

Is that really what the spell intended? It seems to have made allowances for size differences, but only seems to specify Small and Everything-else. Basically what it means is that casting spells like Bite of the Werebear on my Dire Bear animal companion would give my Dire Bear bear-like claws and snout that is somehow much more powerful than its default claws and snout.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-16, 04:01 PM
A 195

As there is no activation stipulation for the Wrath domain, activating it is in the "not an action" category. From Player's Handbook on page 139:
Not an Action: Some activities are so minor that they are not even considered free actions. They literally don’t take any time at all to do and are considered an inherent part of doing something else. For instance, using the Use Magic Device skill (page 85) while trying to activate a device is not an action, it is part of the standard action to activate a magic item. Choosing to activate the Wrath domain power is part of using your character's Strength. As for the action type, Player's Handbook says this on page 180:
Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 04:05 PM
A 199

Natural attacks granted by magic would scale with the posesser's size the same as natural attacks granted...naturally. Thus, if you had a HUGE animal companion and you cast Bite of the Were-bear on it, you would take the bite damage for a medium sized Bite of the Were-bear and advance it two size catagories from M to L to H. Rules for increasing damage due to size are in the PHB, DMG, and MM. In general, its:

1 > 1d2 > 1d3 > 1d4 > 1d6 > 1d8 > 2d6 > 3d6 > 4d6 > 6d6 > 8d6
or, if the die starts with a d10, its:
1d10 > 2d8 > 3d8 > 4d8 > 6d8 > 8d8

Size increases from there follow a previous dice *3/2 then *4/3 alternating patern.

And if your Dire Bear with Bite of the Were-bear bites harder than without it, well...its MAGIC!

Curmudgeon
2010-08-16, 04:15 PM
A 199

There is no stipulation for sizes other than Small, so Bite of the Weretiger will have the listed bite (2d6 + ½ STR mod) and claw (1d8 + STR mod) attacks for all non-Small sizes. You should note that the bite damage is already the same for all sizes of affected creatures (not the 3d6 in your question), and thus the spell cannot follow any standard weapon size scaling.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-16, 04:40 PM
Re: 199

Curmudgeon is correct by RAW. Take note of the Bite of the Wolf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/biteoftheWolf.htm) psionic power, which specifically lists the damage values for creatures of any size.

Amusingly, this has the effect that a Tiny or smaller Druid who casts Bite of the Weretiger will do more damage than a Small one. Since it can be assumed that most spells are written with the assumption that only the standard Small- and Medium-sized player races will be using them, it would be a sensible spell to house-rule changes by size. But that is outside the scope of this thread.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-16, 09:39 PM
Q200

If I play an Incarnate Construct Warforged, and at a later point past level 1 acquire LA, does the Incarnate Construct's -2 negate that LA?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-08-16, 09:43 PM
A200: No, as the template says to a minimum of 0, so by that point it's been applied, it's down to +0. You do have the minimum natural armor bonus going for you, though.

maniakmastah
2010-08-17, 04:56 AM
Q 201

Do spells that change your shape like Alter Self and Polymorph count class levels towards the HD limit one can take. Say a wizard uses Polymorph or Alter Self on an 18th level character, would that instead downgrade the 18th level character due to the HD limit on Polymorph or Alter Self?

cd4
2010-08-17, 05:00 AM
Q 202

Ammunition is destroyed when it hits its target but what exactly happens to the arrow?
Could I tie a piece of paper to the arrow with a message written on it and the message is still readable when it hits its target?

Raptor2213
2010-08-17, 07:38 AM
Q 201

Do spells that change your shape like Alter Self and Polymorph count class levels towards the HD limit one can take. Say a wizard uses Polymorph or Alter Self on an 18th level character, would that instead downgrade the 18th level character due to the HD limit on Polymorph or Alter Self?

No, polymorph specifically says that it does not change your HD. You are merely limited to creatures that are < 18 HD for your list of creatures you can turn into.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 08:05 AM
A 202

The ammunition is destroyed (rendered incapable of being reused) on impact. However, a piece of paper isn't ammunition, so there's nothing in the rules that would cause harm to it.

IdleMuse
2010-08-17, 09:14 AM
Q203 Inspired by the latest Iron Chef contest, I have a question about the Mythic Exemplar, more precisely a disciple of Reikhardt's Archetype Advancement ability (CCpn p88). "+1 level of class-based ex ability to grant bonuses to allies". Now, using the example provided of Marshal, does this mean that say, for instance, as a Marshal 10/Mythic Exemplar 3, you have the AURAs KNOWN of an 11th level marshal (as in, NOTHING extra above 10), or that your major aura now grants a +3 bonus rather than +2? What about if you're a Marshal 10/Mythic Exemplar 9? Do you now get the +3 major auras? As well as, or instead of, the extra auras known?

This ability I just find particularly vague.

nefele
2010-08-17, 10:17 AM
Q204

Eversmoking Bottle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#eversmokingBottle) problems.

Q204a : Let's say I open the bottle, and then move more than 50 ft away, holding the open bottle. What area does the smoke cover at the beginning of my next turn?

Q204b : Similarly, let's say I have opened the bottle, the smoke has appeared and expanded to a 60 ft radius, and then I move farther than the smoke, always holding the open bottle. Again, what area does the smoke cover?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 10:38 AM
A 203

As a Marshal 10/Mythic Exemplar 3, all properties of your Marshal Auras behave as if you were a Marshal 11. As a Marshal 10/Mythic Exemplar 9, all properties of your Marshal Auras behave as if you were a Marshal 14, including Major aura +3, 6 minor auras known, and 4 major auras known.

IdleMuse
2010-08-17, 10:56 AM
Thanks a lot. I have a similar aura-based question now...

Q205
Is the aura generated by the Draconic Aura feat (DMp16) Supernatural or Extraordinary?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 11:06 AM
A 204a

The smoke-filled area is in the shape of a lozenge, from the two joined 50' radius circles. The part not in the 50' radius of the bottle starts dissipating normally. Since the smoke propagates 50' in all directions each round, it also does so while you're moving.

A 204b

Again, the smoke-filled area includes the original section plus the 50' radius filled each round. If you move noticeably faster than 50' your DM may restrict the volume of the smoke-filled path proportionally. 4/3∙Π∙r3 = 523,599 ft3. You can figure the equivalent cylinder filled with this volume = Π∙r2∙d, where d = distance moved, and you'll get the resulting radius of smoke. So if you move 100' in a round the smoke-filled radius of your path would shrink to 41'. Practically speaking, it's simplest to just assume an approximately 50' smoke-filled width of passage unless you're moving very fast. After all, the smoke not close to the bottle will start to dissipate immediately.

nefele
2010-08-17, 11:10 AM
Q204, cont

Sorry, but why do you say that "the smoke propagates 50' in all directions each round"?? From the entry, I gather that the smoke expands 50 ft on the first round only, and from there it expands 10 ft per round. Did I get that wrong?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 11:13 AM
A 205 Supernatural

The Draconic Aura feat refers to the later "DRACONIC AURAS" section in Dragon Magic (page 86), which in turn refers to the Dragon Shaman prestige class in Players Handbook II. The answer is there on page 13.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 11:23 AM
A 204 continued

From the entry, I gather that the smoke expands 50 ft on the first round only, and from there it expands 10 ft per round. Did I get that wrong?
You're not thinking in terms of volume, is all. You get a 50' radius sphere of smoke in the first round, and then the same volume again, and again. Doubling the volume of a 50' radius fills a 63' radius, and another same volume yields a 72' radius, then 79', then 85', then 91'. The D&D authors have linearized this to use 10' steps up to 100'. They're only really off on the last step, and that's where they stop.

Raptor2213
2010-08-17, 11:25 AM
Still no answer to this:

I had a friend do something similar to the first one in a game and wanted to know if it was book-legal in retrospect.

Q181a
A medium-sized human with INT 10 pays a wizard to Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) him into a large-sized plant that normally has an INT of 12, and then has the wizard then turn him into the same creature again using Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). What is the duration of the Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) spell?
Theoretically, the effect would not be stacking, as it is two separate spells (even though their effect is similar). Also, based off the read of Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), the duration is set when the spell is cast and is not variable afterward.

Q181b
A medium-sized human with INT 10 pays a wizard to Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) him into a large-sized plant that normally has an INT of 12, and then has the wizard then turn him into the same creature again using Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). What is the duration of the second Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) spell?
Theoretically, the effect would not stack, as it is one spell twice, however the effect would overlap (the way I read it). Again, based off the read of Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), the duration is set when the spell is cast and is not variable afterward.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-17, 01:20 PM
Q206

If template A gives you two claws and a bite as natural weapons, and template B gives you the same do I now have 4 claw attacks and 2 bites, or just two claws and 1 bite using the better stats of the two templates?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 01:51 PM
A 206

The answer depends on the specific wording of the latter-applied template. For example, the Feral template (Savage Species, page 116) says this:
Attacks: A feral creature gains two claw attacks if it did
not already have them. If you gain new attacks, you gain new attacks.

soulsabre345
2010-08-17, 03:36 PM
Q 207

When designing a encounter for 2 or 3 PCs what encounter level is challenging for them and which level is overpowering?

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-17, 03:49 PM
A207

It's not an exact science (the CR system being less than perfect, level of character optimisation etc.) but the Encounter Calculator on d20srd.org (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm) is a good starting point for those kind of questions.

----------

A 206

The answer depends on the specific wording of the latter-applied template. For example, the Feral template (Savage Species, page 116) says this: If you gain new attacks, you gain new attacks.

So a Half-Dragon Half-Fiend would get 4 claws and 2 bites on a full attack?

IdleMuse
2010-08-17, 04:27 PM
A 205 Supernatural

The Draconic Aura feat refers to the later "DRACONIC AURAS" section in Dragon Magic (page 86), which in turn refers to the Dragon Shaman prestige class in Players Handbook II. The answer is there on page 13.

But it also, on p86, refers to the Marshal, an (Ex) aura projecting class. Maybe I'm just missing the precise sentence that specifies what source if you just have the feat?

casper
2010-08-17, 04:50 PM
q 208

IIRC, there is a swift spell allowing to make normal attacks as touch attacks for 1 round. Can you please remind me how is it called and where it can be found?

PId6
2010-08-17, 04:59 PM
A 208

Wraithstrike - Spell Compendium.

IdleMuse
2010-08-17, 05:31 PM
But it also, on p86, refers to the Marshal, an (Ex) aura projecting class. Maybe I'm just missing the precise sentence that specifies what source if you just have the feat?

More generally, Q209 If it is not noted, is a feat-granted ability treated as Extraordinary? Supernatural? or not anything at all?

EDIT: BoED p39 seems to indicate the former, by contrast with Exalted feats; "These feats are thus supernatural in nature (rather than being extraordinary abilities, as most feats are)."

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 05:46 PM
But it also, on p86, refers to the Marshal, an (Ex) aura projecting class.

Dragon shamans (see Player's Handbook II) are the greatest wielders of draconic auras, but other characters can also learn to harness this power.
The marshal (a class presented in Miniatures Handbook) can learn any of the draconic auras presented here in place of a major aura. While the Marshal's normal auras are Extraordinary, draconic auras are Supernatural ─ even when used by a Marshal.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-17, 06:02 PM
A 209

Most feat-granted abilities aren't considered special abilities in the D&D sense, and any such abilities are only typed if the feat specifically states so, using either the words or the (Ex), (Su), or (Sp) abbreviations.
Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities. As the Player's Handbook is the primary source for both feats (Chapter 5) and special abilities (page 180), the conflicting parenthetical remark in Book of Exalted Deeds
These feats are thus supernatural in nature (rather than being extraordinary abilities, as most feats are). is wrong.

Deth Muncher
2010-08-17, 06:49 PM
Q210 Does a Factotum's Brains Over Brawn ability apply to any damage or attack rolls?

PId6
2010-08-17, 06:54 PM
A 210

No, only skill checks and ability checks.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-18, 02:18 AM
Q211

If I have Energy Resistance = 1/2 my HD, at level 25 is that still Resist 7 or does it go up to Resist 8?

Thurbane
2010-08-18, 02:26 AM
A 211

The general rule is that in D&D 3.5, all fractions are rounded down, unless specifically otherwise stated.

In your example, 1/2 of 25 would be 12.

In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the
fraction is one-half or larger. For example, if a fireball deals you 17 points of damage, but you succeed at your saving throw and only take half damage, you take 8 points of damage.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-08-18, 02:36 AM
Still no answer to this:

I had a friend do something similar to the first one in a game and wanted to know if it was book-legal in retrospect.

Q181a
A medium-sized human with INT 10 pays a wizard to Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) him into a large-sized plant that normally has an INT of 12, and then has the wizard then turn him into the same creature again using Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). What is the duration of the Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) spell?
Theoretically, the effect would not be stacking, as it is two separate spells (even though their effect is similar). Also, based off the read of Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), the duration is set when the spell is cast and is not variable afterward.

Q181b
A medium-sized human with INT 10 pays a wizard to Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) him into a large-sized plant that normally has an INT of 12, and then has the wizard then turn him into the same creature again using Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm). What is the duration of the second Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) spell?
Theoretically, the effect would not stack, as it is one spell twice, however the effect would overlap (the way I read it). Again, based off the read of Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm), the duration is set when the spell is cast and is not variable afterward.

A 181
Assuming by "turn him into the same creature again" you mean "turn him into the same plant creature again".

Duration of the PAO spell is permanent until dispelled - you are changing the target within the same kingdom (+5), same class (+2), same size (+2), etc. Duration factors higher than 9 are permanent.

PanNarrans
2010-08-18, 06:32 AM
Q 212:

Can a wand be crafted at any caster level; for example, to create a wand of Grease with a much longer duration and higher save DC?

Douglas
2010-08-18, 06:40 AM
Q 212:

Can a wand be crafted at any caster level; for example, to create a wand of Grease with a much longer duration and higher save DC?
Not "any" caster level, the choice of spell imposes a minimum, but any caster level higher than the minimum is valid. A wand of Fireball at caster level 3 is not valid, but a wand of Grease at caster level 20 is. You do, however, have to pay extra for the improvement - that wand of Grease would cost 1 * 20 * 750 = 15000 gp. Save DC is completely unaffected by caster level, though, so it would still be as for a level 1 spell with the minimum attribute for that level, giving a save DC of 11. If you want that to go up, you'll have to pay for a wand of Heightened Grease, and that would also multiply the price. A wand of Heightened (4th level) Grease at caster level 20 would have a save DC of 16, last 20 rounds with one charge, and cost 60000 gp

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-08-18, 06:41 AM
A 212
Yes.

A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell. Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal.
Generally, you create magic items at the cheapest level, but you can create them up to your own caster level.
There are examples of 5th to 10th level fireball wands and lightning bolt wands in the SRD.

However, you don't increase the save DC without metamagic. Save DC is dependent on spell level and the adjustment for the minimum required ability score.

EDIT: Curséd ninjas!

jpreem
2010-08-18, 09:21 AM
How does low-light vision work.
In torchlight does it mean the brightly illuminated area remains the same, but the shadowy area is doubled. Or are the shadowy area removed as like - Characters with low-light vision can see outdoors on a moonlit night as well as they can during the day.
( so the whole torch area just counts as brightly lit?)
Or will the shadowy area doubled and actually not hmmmm shadowy for the low-light vision dude?

Noodles2375
2010-08-18, 11:24 AM
Q 214

If a psion manifests Control Body on himself, then manifests Solicit Psycrystal so that he need not maintain concentration on the power, does he now make all attacks with BAB + int mod and damage rolls as BASE + int mod?

He also still has the full suite of actions available to him each turn right?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-18, 11:43 AM
Q 215

In 3.5, I am right in thinking that you can play as a Pseudodragon, right? With a class level, being ECL 6, obviously.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-18, 12:42 PM
A 213

All illumination distances are doubled by low-light vision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#lowLightVision), so a torch would provide bright illumination for you to 40', and shadowy illumination from 40' to 80'.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-18, 12:44 PM
A 215 Yes.

You'll have +3 level adjustment, 2 dragon hit dice, and 1 class level.

cd4
2010-08-18, 02:04 PM
Q 216

If I have both a wand of a spell and a metamagic rod could I use the rod to boost the spell cast from the wand?

Eg. A wand of Rope Trick lasts for 4 hours at basic level could I use an extend metamagic rod to make the spell last for 8 hours?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-18, 02:15 PM
A 216 No.

Only a spellcaster may use a metamagic rod on any given spell. As a wand user you're not the caster of the spell, merely the person triggering it. The person who crafts the wand could use a metamagic rod in the item creation process (assuming the resultant spell level still fits within the 4th level spell limit for wands).

Keld Denar
2010-08-18, 04:46 PM
A 216 suppliment

CMage has a group of items called Metamagic Wand Grips. They function similar to MM Rods, but only work on Wands. They are not cross compatable though (so you couldn't use a Wand Grip on a spell you cast, and you can't use a MM Rod on a spell from a Wand).

Bonus points if you stylize them to look like pistol grips.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-18, 05:05 PM
CMage has a group of items called Metamagic Wand Grips. They function similar to MM Rods, but only work on Wands.
Actually, they aren't much like metamagic rods at all, since the metamagic must come from the user, not the item. They will let you apply a metamagic feat you know to a triggered spell, though. (So will the Metamagic Spell Trigger feat, for that matter.)

Thurbane
2010-08-18, 07:58 PM
Q217

I have a question regarding the cost of enchanting cold iron weapons. Is the extra 2000gp cost added per enhancement, or per occasion of the weapon being enchanted?

Also, any magical enhancements cost an additional 2,000 gp.

Obviously, this means that a +1 Cold Iron Greatsword would cost 4400gp.

Would a +1 Bane (Fey) Cold Iron Greatsword cost 10400gp, or 12400gp?

Douglas
2010-08-18, 08:21 PM
A217

As per the FAQ, the extra cost is incurred each time the item is enhanced. Thus, the cost to create a cold iron magic item depends on how many times it is upgraded. If you make it in one go, you only pay the 2000 once. If you, for example, made a +1 weapon, then upgraded it to +2, and later added the Flaming property to it, you would have to pay the extra 2000 (if you're the crafter, 1000 plus some xp instead) three times.

Market price assumes the most efficient creation method, that of making it all at once, so the additional money (and xp for the crafter) spent in the upgrade scenario is completely wasted.

Torq
2010-08-18, 10:18 PM
Q218

When you summon a spider via Summon Monster I, what is the duration of it's web attack? Does it last until the spider is dismissed or expires, or does it persist after it's gone?

Raptor2213
2010-08-18, 10:26 PM
Q218Q219
Page 141 of Savage Species mentions a way to create a Yuan-ti Tainted One or Broodguard "by drinking a distillation of yuan-ti venom mixed with certain herb and roots". Are there any rules referencing how to make said distillation?

Edit: Sorry for the wrong number, we must have hit post at almost the exact same time.

Zom B
2010-08-18, 10:38 PM
A218 (Raptor, change your numbering)

The only things I am finding that are spelled out as ending when the creature returns are its spells. However, I can come up with two interpretations, and I am heavily leaning towards interpretation A.

A: Since strands of silk are protein chains that were once part of the creature, it would be reasonable to say that this is akin to a summoned creature's dismembered arm: it disappears with the creature.

B: It is an item that the creature crafted and thus is not part of the creature.

Q220

This question came up in another thread: Is an undead cleric susceptible to its own turning and rebuking attempts?

FirebirdFlying
2010-08-19, 02:20 AM
Q221

Are creatures aware that they have made a will save (or, indeed, failed one)?

Sliver
2010-08-19, 02:31 AM
A221

Only when they succeed on a saving throw.

Player handbook, p177:

Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. For example, if you secretly cast charm person on a creature and its saving throw succeeds, it knows that someone used magic against it, but it can’t tell what you were trying to do. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell, such as charm person, you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 02:32 AM
A 221 Only sometimes

Creatures are aware when they have succeeded on a saving throw against a magical effect. From Player's Handbook on page 177:
Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Otherwise, there's no information. If you succeed on a nonmagical attack there's no information. Also, if you fail any sort of saving throw your character is unaware of that fact.

Frosty
2010-08-19, 02:40 AM
Q 222

If you have Mirror Images up protecting you, and an enemy caster tries to target you with a spell. Say...Baleful Polymorph. What happens? The enemy caster for the sake of this example does not have True Seeing or anything like that so can't determine which is the real you. Does the Baleful Polymorph have a chance of hitting a fake just like with a normal attack? It would make sense logically but I want to see what RAW says about it.

On a very similar question, what happens if you have a Major Image of yourself up (and you're hidden or invisible or something) and an enemy caster tries to target you with something like Hold Monster or a save-or-die. Does the enemy caster get to know after the fact that the image is a fake? Does this count as interacting with an image (and hence the caster gets a Will save)? And if the save is failed, does the enemy caster just think, "Oh the target made the save I might try the spell again"?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 03:04 AM
A 222

Baleful Polymorph requires a creature as a target. If directed at a figment instead, the spell merely fails. As there is no saving throw involved, the spellcaster has no information other than the obvious failure. The spell is exhausted without effect, so there's no interaction.

Sliver
2010-08-19, 03:05 AM
A 222

A spell that requires a target has a chance to target the mirror image just as a normal attack. However:

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell (range, area, or the like) cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted. For example, if you cast charm person on a dog, the spell fails because a dog is the wrong sort of target for the spell.

The spell will fail since the target is invalid. The caster will know.

Thurbane
2010-08-19, 04:10 AM
Q 223

The Adept NPC class gets a familiar at level 2. Is there any way for them to get an Improved Familiar? Being divine casters, it seems unlikely, since all the tables for Improved Familiars have Arcane spellcaster levels as a requisite. Am I missing anything?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 04:41 AM
A 223

As all facets of NPCs are under DM control, the DM can decide to treat "Arcane Spellcaster Level" as "Divine Spellcaster Level" for the Adept. There aren't rules so much as guidelines for how to develop non-player characters, so your question falls a bit outside the RAW.

cd4
2010-08-19, 07:47 AM
Q 224

What races are large and have LA+0 or LA+1?

Q 224A

Could I use a permanent enlarge person to qualify for feats that require large size? If so how much will it cost to get a wizard to cast it on me?

ex cathedra
2010-08-19, 08:16 AM
A224
I'm going to assume that you mean LA+1 or +0 races or Templates with no Racial Hit Dice that grant Large size. Does that seem fair?
I know of Savage Species' Half-Ogre and Dragon Magazine's Half-Minotaur.
You can use crystalkeep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) to find things like this (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf) as well.

A224A
Yes, though your DM may disagree and you will almost certainly lose your large size and everything that depends on it (Stat modifiers, reach, some class features) if you're ever dispelled or subjected to an anti-magic effect.
Well, you would have to have an arcane caster cast Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm) on you, which would cost (10*CL) gold. Higher CLs are suggested, as they are more difficult to dispel. Then you must have a caster cast Permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) on you, which will cost (50*CL) gold, with a minimum caster level of 9, and with an additional gold cost of 2500, due to the XP expenditure. The minimum cost would be something very near 3000gp.

WarKitty
2010-08-19, 09:59 AM
Q225 Are there any relatively cheap non-metal materials other than dragonhide available? A "double price" material is within my budget, but a +1000 gp material is not.
Edit: Other than the obvious leather/hide, unless there's a way to get more AC out of them.

Q226 Is there a market price listed for ironwood anywhere?

Sliver
2010-08-19, 10:06 AM
A225

Blue Ice, Frostborn, p80, is +750gp for light armor and shields.
Ceremonial, Dungeon Mag 105 p71, is double cost of masterwork armor.
Darkwood is 10gp per pound of original weight.
Dwarvencraft, RoS p159, is +600gp
Leafweave, RotW p168, is +740gp
Wildwood, RotW p169, is double cost but not double time.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 10:06 AM
A 226

Ironwood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironwood.htm) is created by the spell. You can determine NPC spellcaster service prices (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spellcastingAndServices) and work from there.

WarKitty
2010-08-19, 10:08 AM
A225

Blue Ice, Frostborn, p80, is +750gp for light armor and shields.
Ceremonial, Dungeon Mag 105 p71, is double cost of masterwork armor.
Darkwood is 10gp per pound of original weight.
Dwarvencraft, RoS p159, is +600gp
Leafweave, RotW p168, is +740gp
Wildwood, RotW p169, is double cost but not double time.

It appears I should have specificed "that can substitute for metal armor". Building a druid and the restrictions on what you can make from dragonhide are just too annoying.

Sliver
2010-08-19, 10:09 AM
Those are all I found from crystalkeep that fit the price range.

WarKitty
2010-08-19, 10:11 AM
Those are all I found from crystalkeep that fit the price range.

So basically if I want anything over hide I'm screwed?

now I know why people don't roleplay stuff, it's too expensive

Raptor2213
2010-08-19, 10:18 AM
Q227
Does Resistance to Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm=) Stack when coming from multiple sources?
Looking at the entry in the DMG, it does not specify what happens if you have it from multiple sources (such as a class benefit that gives you resistance to energy, as well as, say, a magic item).

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 10:55 AM
A 227 No.

Resistance to Energy is always specified in absolute terms. If you happened to come across an ability that said it increased your resistance to cold (or whatever) by +10, then that would stack. However, I know of no ability described in this fashion. Energy resistances thus operate in parallel rather than stacking together.

Torq
2010-08-19, 12:59 PM
Q228

A lot of archer builds use Skewer Foe (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2636-skewer-foe.html) but the feat says specifically "melee weapon." Was there some errata to this feat that allows it to be used with a bow/x-bow?

AngelisBlack
2010-08-19, 01:25 PM
Q 229

Do the bonuses from Phalnax Fighting [CWar] and Shield Wall [Heroes of Battle] stack? Also, from Shield Wall, if you have more than one adjacent ally with a shield, will you get more than a +2 bonus?

zagan
2010-08-19, 04:00 PM
Q230

If a creature is inside the area of a darkness (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Darkness) spell a second level spell. Does the effect of faerie fire (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Faerie_Fire) spell a first level spell cnacel the concealement.
I'm not sure because the text of fairie fire say that it nullify the concealement but say that 2nd or higher darkness spell functionne normaly. What does it mean ?

Douglas
2010-08-19, 04:34 PM
Q230

If a creature is inside the area of a darkness (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Darkness) spell a second level spell. Does the effect of faerie fire (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Faerie_Fire) spell a first level spell cnacel the concealement.
I'm not sure because the text of fairie fire say that it nullify the concealement but say that 2nd or higher darkness spell functionne normaly. What does it mean ?
The second level spell with the [Darkness] descriptor trumps the first level spell with the [Light] descriptor. Inside the area of the Darkness spell, Faerie Fire has no effect.

Zom B
2010-08-19, 04:46 PM
A228

Are they also taking a feat that grants proficiency with improvised weapons? If so, they may be taking advantage of this:

An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (-4 penalty on attack rolls) and deals damage as a dagger of its size (critical multiplier ×2).

They may be using it as a melee weapon that is being fired from a bow, in other words. It's a very loose interpretation, but it's the only thing I can think of since my book says "melee weapon" also, and there was no errata that I can find.

Torq
2010-08-19, 05:05 PM
A228

Are they also taking a feat that grants proficiency with improvised weapons?

Nothing is typically mentioned about improvised weapons so I'm going to say that the melee aspect was overlooked. Taking -4 to attack just to use the feat makes the feat pretty pointless.

Thurbane
2010-08-19, 05:08 PM
A 223

As all facets of NPCs are under DM control, the DM can decide to treat "Arcane Spellcaster Level" as "Divine Spellcaster Level" for the Adept. There aren't rules so much as guidelines for how to develop non-player characters, so your question falls a bit outside the RAW.
A 223 continued

Hmm, really? I guess I'll revise my question:

Q 223b

Is there any way for a PC with a familiar as a class feature, but no arcane caster levels, to get an Improved Familiar?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 05:28 PM
A 228 No.

There are no errata for Champions of Ruin, so Skewer Foe may not be used with a ranged weapon. Though an arrow may be used as an improvised melee weapon when held in the hand, when fired from a bow it cannot qualify as such.

Frankly, what you've seen is an instance of purposely ignoring the RAW: i.e., cheating.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 05:39 PM
A 223b No.

Though there are many instances of Improved Familiar, offering new creature types that may be summoned as familiars in particular settings, they all either independently require arcane spellcaster levels or refer to Dungeon Master's Guide page 200 where that requirement is repeated.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-19, 05:46 PM
A 229

Yes, the AC bonuses from Phalanx Fighting (untyped bonus) and Shield Wall (shield bonus to AC) stack. No, Shield Wall does not give additional bonuses from additional allies.

Cieyrin
2010-08-19, 07:48 PM
Q224
What kind of action is it to switch between armor levels of Segmented Armor, from the Planar Handbook? That is, how much time should it take to switch from Light to Medium or to go from Heavy to Medium or across multiple levels? Should it require assistance, like normal plate, even if you're not going immediately to heavy?

blackmage5242
2010-08-19, 08:17 PM
Q225

Where is Hunter's Eye from, the spell that gives sneak attack?

PId6
2010-08-19, 08:18 PM
A 225

Player's Handbook 2.

cd4
2010-08-20, 06:16 AM
Q226

If I am medium and wield a large weapon do I get a 10ft reach?

Yora
2010-08-20, 06:58 AM
A226: No, you don't.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-20, 08:51 AM
Q227a: Does Battle Blessing work for archivists casting spells found on the paladin spell list? An esteemed fellow playgrounder says it does not, but a friend of mine is insisting that it does.

Q227b: In the same vein, does Sword of the Arcane Order work on archivist casting if 4 levels of prestige paladin are present in the build?

@V: Thank you! Now hopefully my buddy will shut up about it. I thought it was a good idea, but the first Playgrounder gave me the same answer.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-20, 09:51 AM
A 227a No.

An Archivist casts spells from their Archivist prayerbook. These are divine spells which are not associated with any other class once the Archivist records them. They are no longer Cleric/Paladin/Ranger/whatever spells regardless of their original source, just as a Cleric with the Plant domain is not casting Druid spells despite all 9 spells on the Plant domain list also being on the Druid spell list.

A 227b No.

The Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) has no Paladin spell slots; instead, it advances "+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class". Without Paladin spell slots you gain no benefit from Sword of the Arcane Order.

Drago
2010-08-20, 11:39 AM
Q228

I could have sworn there was a rule that if you pass a saving throw you become aware that a spell was cast on you (and failed). Or am I remembering a house rule (or a rule that is none core) as core? If such a rule exsists could I please get a refernce to it.

Keld Denar
2010-08-20, 11:51 AM
A 228

You are right. The answer should be here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm)

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-20, 12:04 PM
Q229

If an Ethereal creature (eg. A Ghost) Plane Shifts to the Material Plane, what happens to them? Do they become corporeal for the duration of their visit?

Bulwer
2010-08-20, 12:12 PM
Q230

A Psicrystal's advancement is phrased "If the owner is 9th level or higher ..." etc.

If I'm 9th level (but only 6 of those are Psion), does that count as being 9th level for those purposes.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-08-20, 12:28 PM
Q231

A quote from the SRD:

"A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once. However, the character’s mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell. "

Does this mean a cleric can leave open spell slots, and later in the day prepare spells after a few moments' rest, like a wizard? Or do they just have one shot to prepare spells at their specified time of day, and any empty slots just sit there, wasted?

Yora
2010-08-20, 12:42 PM
A231: As I read it, clerics can fill their slots at any time they want. But they must leave that slot open when they pray for spells at their regular spell preperation time.
I think the paragraph wants to say, that you have to voluntarily leave a slot empty, to prepare a new spell later in the day. You can't just drop a spell and then use the freed slot to prepare a new spell.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-20, 12:46 PM
A 230 No.

The reference is to 9th level in the Psion class.

PId6
2010-08-20, 05:48 PM
Q229

If an Ethereal creature (eg. A Ghost) Plane Shifts to the Material Plane, what happens to them? Do they become corporeal for the duration of their visit?
A 229

Yes, if they're naturally corporeal on the Ethereal Plane (such as a ghost or a human under the effect of Ethereal Jaunt), they would still be corporeal if they're Plane Shifted to the Material Plane.

zagan
2010-08-21, 04:47 AM
Q239 ? I believe there an error in the numbering system.

A) Does the stone hand create by the Earther grasp spell (Car p104) deal damage (non lethal ?) if it succed on the initial grapple check ?

B) The hand can't move how it can maintain a grapple to later pin and deal damage as indicated by in the spell then ?

Zom B
2010-08-21, 10:17 PM
Q240 (The previous page ended on Q230, so yeah, we've gone back a few numbers somehow)

I can find the rules for suffocation under the Environment section of the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm), but I could swear that if the creature has no time to get a breath first, you follow alternate rules, but I can't find those. Anyone know where they might be? I think there might have been something about 1x Con score instead of 2x and the Constitution check maybe starts higher.

Wonton
2010-08-21, 11:33 PM
Q 241

Is it possible to "cheese" into Ultimate Magus as a 3rd-level Wizard by having either the feat Alacritous Cogitation or Uncanny Forethought?

Math_Mage
2010-08-22, 12:53 AM
A240: No such animal. You are probably thinking of the rules governing characters that take standard actions or full-round actions while swimming, which halve the time the character has before making Con checks against drowning. See the Swim skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm).

WinWin
2010-08-22, 02:39 AM
A241
By RAW, yes. There would be little benefit to doing so. You would gain 10/10 casting, not 17/10. Many of the benefits of the PrC would be better served by having additional spell slots to call on.

crazedloon
2010-08-22, 04:02 AM
Q. 242

Can a factotum qualify for a feat which requires a certain number of sneak attack dice such as sneak attack +2d6.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-22, 04:08 AM
A 242

Only if the Factotum has spent 1 inspiration point on Cunning Strike but not yet attacked, and only if the sneak attack requirement is 1d6. Cunning Strike doesn't have an exception for the basic stacking rule, which means that more inspiration points spent would do nothing as those modifiers to your damage roll would all come from the same source: Cunning Strike. The Factotum would lose all benefits of the feat any time the enabling condition is not met.

Raptor2213
2010-08-22, 07:45 AM
Q240 (The previous page ended on Q230, so yeah, we've gone back a few numbers somehow)

I can find the rules for suffocation under the Environment section of the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm), but I could swear that if the creature has no time to get a breath first, you follow alternate rules, but I can't find those. Anyone know where they might be? I think there might have been something about 1x Con score instead of 2x and the Constitution check maybe starts higher.

A240 Expanded
The only rules for Suffocation I know are in the Swim (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm) section (In the below Spoiler). If you are referring to a vacuum (outer space), reference Nailed to the Sky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm) - an epic-level spell that sticks an object or creature in orbit.

Drowning is rarely expected. Reference the plane of water as well. The rules on being teleported to it would give you a good reference.

Suffocation in reference to swimming
If you are underwater, either because you failed a Swim check or because you are swimming underwater intentionally, you must hold your breath. You can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to twice your Constitution score, but only if you do nothing other than take move actions or free actions. If you take a standard action or a full-round action (such as making an attack), the remainder of the duration for which you can hold your breath is reduced by 1 round. (Effectively, a character in combat can hold his or her breath only half as long as normal.) After that period of time, you must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round to continue holding your breath. Each round, the DC for that check increases by 1. If you fail the Constitution check, you begin to drown (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#drowning).

Drowning
Any character can hold her breath for a number of rounds equal to twice her Constitution score. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round in order to continue holding her breath. Each round, the DC increases by 1. See also: Swim skill description.

When the character finally fails her Constitution check, she begins to drown. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hp). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she drowns.

It is possible to drown in substances other than water, such as sand, quicksand, fine dust, and silos full of grain.

Edit: I found what you were mentioning in Stormwrack on page 11:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5210001/drowning_stormwrack.jpg

WinWin
2010-08-22, 01:03 PM
A241 continued

the character in question would still require 8 ranks in spellcraft. A wizard 3 is incapable of meeting that requirement.

Enix18
2010-08-22, 06:54 PM
Q. 243

Are there any effective ways to lower metamagic costs for arcane casters? (Anything broader than Arcane Thesis?)

Is it possible to lower the level adjustment of a +1 or higher metamagic feat to +0? (I believe the original text of Arcane Thesis allowed this, but are there any other ways?)

Raptor2213
2010-08-22, 08:05 PM
There's always this feat. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedMetamagic) The downside is that it's an epic-level feat.

Douglas
2010-08-22, 08:57 PM
Q. 243

Are there any effective ways to lower metamagic costs for arcane casters? (Anything broader than Arcane Thesis?)

Is it possible to lower the level adjustment of a +1 or higher metamagic feat to +0? (I believe the original text of Arcane Thesis allowed this, but are there any other ways?)
Incantatrix, Dweomerkeeper, Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, Metamagic School Focus, metamagic rods, Divine Metamagic, and I think there's a feat that lets you pay Bardic Music uses instead of increased spell slot level. There are probably a few I missed. Aside from the Incantatrix and Dweomerkeeper capstones (which mimic the epic Improved Metamagic feat), each of these is restricted to one metamagic feat, one school of spells, limited uses per day, using an alternative cost, or some combination thereof.

Arcane Thesis is the one and only unlimited use reduction that is able to go from +1 to +0. All others that can do that either have limited uses per day or use a cost substitution scheme, such as spending Turn Undead or Bardic Music uses in place of the level increase.

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 05:36 AM
Q 244
Is the swashbuckler's Insightful strike precision damage?

Q 245
if a swashbuckler makes a critical as part of a volley with finessable weapons (knives and palm throw) does the target take 2 points of strength damage per weapon in the volley due to the weakening critical ability?

Q 246
Does the feat Craven (CoR) apply to only the first weapon in a volley or does it apply to each weapon provided you qualify for sneak attack?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-23, 06:13 AM
A 244 No.

The rules don't state whether Insightful Strike is precision damage or not. However, while it meets some of the characteristics stated in Rules Compendium on page 42, the Swashbuckler class description does not include any statement of precision damage limitations, such as any degree of concealment preventing it form working. Thus, absent a specific statement that Insightful Strike is precision damage, it's not.

A 245 No.

The Weakening Critical Strength damage is per each critical hit, and isn't dependent on the number of weapons or attacks used.

A 246

Craven applies to each qualifying sneak attack. There are some limitations where sneak attack applies only to one attack in a volley, but the Craven feat itself isn't directly limited by the weapons you use or the attacks you make.

Math_Mage
2010-08-23, 06:21 AM
A244: No. However, sneak attack immunity and critical hit immunity still prevent it.

A246: Yes. Since sneak attack damage only applies to the first weapon in a volley, both statements are true.

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 06:49 AM
Q 246 clarification

So a rogue using manyshot fires 2 arrows. His arrows attack qualifies as sneak attack becuase his opponent is flat footed. Does each arrow gain craven damage boost?

SillySymphonies
2010-08-23, 07:00 AM
Q 247
Pixie rogue 1. Greater invisibility + moving and (ranged) attacking. Invisbility while moving gives a +20 bonus to hide; attacking with a ranged weapon while hiding gives -20 to hide ('sniping' - PHB 76). Does this mean the hide bonus from invisibility is effectively negated? Or am I misinterpreting the sniping rules?

Q247 b
If an opponent 'spots' an invisbile character, is the opponent still denied its Dex bonus to AC?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-23, 07:48 AM
A 246 continued
Special: Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. Due to the limitations of the Manyshot feat, you apply sneak attack damage just once. You apply Craven to all sneak attacks, which is one.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-23, 08:02 AM
A 247

Your question isn't answerable, because you are misinterpreting how Sniping works. You can't move while using the Sniping application of the Hide skill. Sniping requires a move action, but you never leave the square in which you have concealment. So you can move or Snipe, but not both.

Regardless of the modifiers to your Hide skill, it always comes down to an opposed check vs. the Spot skill of any other characters who have line of sight to your position. If their Spot is better than your Hide skill they pinpoint your square. If you have total concealment (because of invisibility, fog, or whatever) they still don't gain line of sight to you.

A 247b

Using Spot to become aware of an invisible creature doesn't let you see it clearly; you only discern its square(s). It still has total concealment, so you're denied your DEX bonus to AC against it (absent an ability like uncanny dodge). You can attack the invisible creature's square with a 50% miss chance.

Gnaeus
2010-08-23, 11:14 AM
Q 248
I always understood that if you had 2 related effects (for example, fire shield and energy resistance) that you could choose the order in which they resolved (do you half then subtract 10, or subtract 10 then half?). When it came up in play, I couldn't find text clarifying the order of effects resolving anywhere. Does anyone know where this rule is located or exactly how it works.

Zherog
2010-08-23, 11:49 AM
Partial A 248

I don't have my files on me -- forgot my flash drive at home today -- but I'm fairly certain you'll find the text you're looking for in the FAQ.

cd4
2010-08-23, 03:07 PM
Q 249

With the warshaper's morphic weapons could I create lots of tentacles over time?
If so could these tentacles wield weapons themselves?

crazedloon
2010-08-23, 03:49 PM
Q 250

Can you throw and unarmed strike with the Throw anything feat?

Frosty
2010-08-23, 04:04 PM
Q 250

Can you throw and unarmed strike with the Throw anything feat?
A. 250
Only if you're not a Monk, Druid, or Wizard, since you must have proficiency with weapon to throw it.

The real question is: Do you want your hand to comeback after throwing it? :smallbiggrin:

I hope you enchanted it...

Thurbane
2010-08-23, 07:55 PM
Q 251
If a creature is in the area of a Cloudkill, and is then trapped in a Resilient Sphere, does the Sphere protect him from the Cloudkill effects, or does he still suffer them each round?

WinWin
2010-08-23, 10:49 PM
A251...speculative

Nothing can penetrate the sphere...But the subject can still breathe normally. Cloudkill moves away from it's point of origin.

Obviously the language suggests that the Resiliant Sphere comes with some kind of air filter. That is RAI. RAW "The subject can still breathe normally" is subject to a determination of normal breathing for the target creature. In theory it should work underwater, or allow aquatic creatures to breathe on land.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-24, 12:28 AM
C 250

Throw Anything is limited to melee weapons. The feat doesn't say that those must be manufactured weapons, which is of course the reason for posting this question. If it helps your DM in resolving this issue, unarmed strikes are natural weapons (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_naturalweapon&alpha=N) (weapons that are physically a part of a creature), according to the rules:

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike.
You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang).
Magic fang gives one natural weapon of the subject a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. The spell can affect a slam attack, fist, bite, or other natural weapon. (The spell does not change an unarmed strike’s damage from nonlethal damage to lethal damage.)
A fanged ring grants its wearer the Improved Unarmed Strike feat and the Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) teat.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-24, 05:00 AM
Q252

Can a Wizard take Precocious Apprentice twice?

I have a character wanting to go Wiz 2/Cle 1, using Improved Sigil (Krau) to get the necessary Cleric Spells and PA x2 to get the Wizard spells. Is this possible?

Math_Mage
2010-08-24, 05:03 AM
A252: No. As a general rule, if the feat does not specifically say that you can take it more than once with stacking benefits, you cannot stack the benefits of taking it more than once (same source). So taking Improved Trip 12 times doesn't give a Fighter +48 to Trip checks, and taking Precocious Apprentice multiple times won't stack.

bokodasu
2010-08-24, 09:08 AM
Q253: What does Mage Armor stack with/not stack with? Thanks!

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 09:15 AM
A253: It doesn't stack with anything that provides an armor bonus (Greater Mage Armor, Luminous Armor, Greater Luminous Armor, Bracers of Armor, any mundane or magical armor). It stacks with any other type of bonus (untyped, shield, DEX, deflection, natural armor, insight, sacred/profane, circumstance, etc.)

IdleMuse
2010-08-24, 09:28 AM
Q254 Can you manifest an Extended Assimilate?

Ajadea
2010-08-24, 09:29 AM
Q 255 Can the Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) floating feat be used to qualify for other prestige classes (specifically, I'm picking up Cleave for Blackguard)

(bah, ninja'd!)

Sliver
2010-08-24, 09:42 AM
Q 254 Can the Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) floating feat be used to qualify for other prestige classes (specifically, I'm picking up Cleave for Blackguard)

A 255

Yes. Although it depends on DM's interpretation if you still get benefits from the class if you don't have the feat (some say you do for classes not from the books that say you lose the features (complete warrior and complete arcane IIRC) and some say you do for all classes)

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 09:54 AM
A254: I don't see why not--you would just gain the benefits for 2 hours instead of 1. Since the duration is instantaneous and 1 hour, that's why I'm saying you should be able to by RAW.

To approach it algebraically, instantaneous and 1 hour is basically like saying that the duration in rounds, or D=2(x+600). We can express this as D=2x+1200. For instantaneous effects, X is a number so small we can consider it to be zero, so 2(0)+1200=0+1200=1200 rounds, or 2 hours.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-24, 02:13 PM
Q256

How much does it cost in ink or whatever to scribe a new spell into a wizards spellbook?

I know it's really obvious but I just can't seem to find it in the SRD.

Greenish
2010-08-24, 02:19 PM
Q 249

With the warshaper's morphic weapons could I create lots of tentacles over time?
If so could these tentacles wield weapons themselves?
A 249 Warshaper doesn't define limits on how many tentacles it is possible to grow, so technically you could just keep sprouting them.

However, the tentacles can't wield weapons (because they're not called on being able to do it).

Q257

A) What if you enchant one end of a double weapon Everbright and get attacked by a rust monster?

B) How about Hideaway, do you have to add it to both ends to have any benefit?

Douglas
2010-08-24, 02:20 PM
A256

100 gp per page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#writingaNewSpellintoaSpellbook). Unless you're a Geomancer (I think that's the right PrC), each spell takes 1 page/level, so it comes out to 100 gp/spell level. This is separate from and in addition to the cost of getting access to the spell to copy it in the first place, of course.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-24, 02:22 PM
A256

100 gp per page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#writingaNewSpellintoaSpellbook). Unless you're a Geomancer (I think that's the right PrC), each spell takes 1 page/level, so it comes out to 100 gp/spell level. This is separate from and in addition to the cost of getting access to the spell to copy it in the first place, of course.

Of course that was the one page I didn't look at :smallredface:

Cheers.

Sliver
2010-08-24, 02:45 PM
Q258
Can you use an immediate action after seeing an attack roll but before receiving damage? Basically, can I use Protection Devotion after seeing a successful attack in attempt to negate it?

Trebloc
2010-08-24, 04:04 PM
Q259

Caster A casts Antimagic Field on themself.

Caster B casts a summon monster/nature's ally and chooses a creature with reach (Elder Earth Elemental), and places it outside of the Antimagic Field.

The summoned creature attacks Caster A, or anyone else that is inside of the Antimagic Field.

Does the summon wink out? Is it able to attack normally, without the benefit of any magical enhancements to it's attack?

Thanks!

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-24, 05:12 PM
Q260

Is there a way to get Spellcraft as a Class Skill for classes that don't normally have it as one (specifically the Binder)?

Frosty
2010-08-24, 05:24 PM
Q259

Caster A casts Antimagic Field on themself.

Caster B casts a summon monster/nature's ally and chooses a creature with reach (Elder Earth Elemental), and places it outside of the Antimagic Field.

The summoned creature attacks Caster A, or anyone else that is inside of the Antimagic Field.

Does the summon wink out? Is it able to attack normally, without the benefit of any magical enhancements to it's attack?

Thanks!
A259
The summoner creature can't melee attack the caster. Any part of the creature that enters (in this case an arm or something) winks out of existance.

Trebloc
2010-08-24, 06:29 PM
A259
The summoner creature can't melee attack the caster. Any part of the creature that enters (in this case an arm or something) winks out of existance.

Where are you reading that only the creature's arm winks out? The only part in the SRD that I see says that the entire creature winks out if it enters the field, not just body parts.

And you're saying that a summoned pixie can shoot their arrows into the Antimagic field without a problem?

What if the summoned creature is using a melee weapon that it comes with?

Douglas
2010-08-24, 06:33 PM
A259

Technically by RAW attacks do not normally involve entering the target's square, so I think the summoned creature would be able to attack unhindered.

Tanuki Tales
2010-08-24, 07:25 PM
Question 261

What book is the template that allows a Construct, Plant or Undead to hold a swarm in its body in?

IdleMuse
2010-08-24, 11:22 PM
Q260

Is there a way to get Spellcraft as a Class Skill for classes that don't normally have it as one (specifically the Binder)?

A260
The Aereni Focus feat (PGtE) for any elf, or the Keeper of Forbidden Lore Abyssal Heritor feat from FC1. There's also the option of taking the Able Learner feat (RoD) for any human, but all that does is reduce the double cost to buy skills ranks in cross-class skills; you'd need to dip something that has it as a class skill to raise the max ranks limit.

Frosty
2010-08-25, 12:25 AM
Where are you reading that only the creature's arm winks out? The only part in the SRD that I see says that the entire creature winks out if it enters the field, not just body parts.

And you're saying that a summoned pixie can shoot their arrows into the Antimagic field without a problem?

What if the summoned creature is using a melee weapon that it comes with?
Yes, only the arm winks out. My reasoning is this. In the last sentence of the description of the AMF spell in the PHB, it says that "Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier in unaffected by the field."

It makes sense that any part lying IN the AMF is affected. Thus, part of a creature can be affected by AMF.

In the same way that any magical arrow entering an AMF loses its magical properties, any portion of the creature (like its arm) entering the AMF winks out of existance.

Any part of the summoned creature, including its gear, are affected by AMF and so the arrows will also wink out of existance. Same thing with a sword that a summoned creature carries. Basically, if something will poof when the duration of Summon Creature is up, then it'll be affected by the AMF.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-25, 02:33 AM
A 258 No.

The rules don't separate an enemy's attack and damage, so you're not guaranteed to "see" any such interval between attack roll and damage dealt. The DM can roll behind a screen, and roll attack and damage dice together. Thus you can use an immediate action before an enemy attacks, or after, but not in the middle of a single attack.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-25, 02:37 AM
Yes, only the arm winks out.
While this is an interesting way of modeling D&D attacks for a house rule, this is the RAW thread, and douglas has provided the RAW answer: the summoned creature, outside the Antimagic Field, can make melee attacks against a creature inside the AF.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-25, 08:14 AM
Q262: How do Power Attack and Stone Power interact?

Let's say I have a +5 BAB. If I take a -5 to my attacks, do I get:

A. +5 damage and 10 temporary HP
B. +5 damage or 10 temporary HP
C. A combination of the two, allocated by me. For instance, -3 goes to Power Attack for +3 damage, and -2 goes to Stone Power for 4 temporary HP.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-25, 08:18 AM
While this is an interesting way of modeling D&D attacks for a house rule, this is the RAW thread, and douglas has provided the RAW answer: the summoned creature, outside the Antimagic Field, can make melee attacks against a creature inside the AF.

How do you work out this bit then? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm)

Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.
It is raw that creatures partially outside the AMF aren't affected on the parts that are outside.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-25, 08:21 AM
Q262: How do Power Attack and Stone Power interact?

Let's say I have a +5 BAB. If I take a -5 to my attacks, do I get:

A. +5 damage and 10 temporary HP
B. +5 damage or 10 temporary HP
C. A combination of the two, allocated by me. For instance, -3 goes to Power Attack for +3 damage, and -2 goes to Stone Power for 4 temporary HP.

A262: They are separate feats and are not told to interconnect other than serving as a pre-requisite for the same things. Each penalty applies individually, which is your example C.

Q263: How does the cap on Power Attack and Stone Power interact? Do they share the same "bab pool" or can both apply a penalty up to the value of your bab (for example, a fighter 5 taking -5 PA and -5 SP for a total of -10)?

Douglas
2010-08-25, 08:27 AM
Q263: How does the cap on Power Attack and Stone Power interact? Do they share the same "bab pool" or can both apply a penalty up to the value of your bab (for example, a fighter 5 taking -5 PA and -5 SP for a total of -10)?
The limit is separate for each one. A Fighter 5 with Power Attack, Stone Power, and Combat Expertise could take a total -15 penalty in exchange for +5 damage, 10 temp hp, and +5 AC all at once.

Frosty
2010-08-25, 11:52 AM
Douglas is wrong.

Torq
2010-08-25, 01:31 PM
Q263

Can Insightful Strike be used while Raging?

Frosty
2010-08-25, 01:33 PM
Q263

A263
Please clarify. There are multiple abilities named "Insightful Strike", although if you are referring to the 3rd level Diamond Mind maneuver, then no.

PId6
2010-08-25, 01:34 PM
Q263

A 263

Which one? The swashbuckler class feature? The swordsage class feature? Or the Diamond Mind maneuver? In order, that would be yes, yes, and no.

IdleMuse
2010-08-25, 03:09 PM
Q264 If I fire a +3 arrow out of a +1 flaming bow, will the resultant effect be that of just a +3 arrow, or a +3 flaming arrow?

In other words, regarding the following quote from the SRD:

The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.

Does this only apply for normal enhancement bonuses, with special abilities stacking, or do you simply calculate the effective enhancement bonus of each and pick the highest.

If the latter, what decides whether a +2 arrow shot out of a +1 flaming bow is +1 flaming or +2?

Math_Mage
2010-08-25, 03:13 PM
A264: +3 flaming arrow. The flaming is a special ability, not an enhancement bonus.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-25, 11:26 PM
How do you work out this bit then? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm)
It is raw that creatures partially outside the AMF aren't affected on the parts that are outside.
Most D&D attacks don't require entering the target creature's square. The attacker, outside the Antimagic Field, doesn't (by RAW) "partially" leave their own square. All aspects of melee attacks are resolved in the attacker's space. Ranged attacks, on the other hand, are resolved in the target's space.

Douglas is wrong.
You'll need to provide a rules citation to back that up.

Do note that many aspects of combat are simplified by the D&D rules, and this is one such simplification. While in the real world you must extend a melee weapon to reach a target, in the D&D world you just need to be within your weapon's reach; no actual movement in the target's direction takes place. This is certainly no stranger than having no facing direction in the D&D world, another game rule simplification; in the real word your eyes don't work in all directions simultaneously.

Frosty
2010-08-26, 01:18 AM
Most D&D attacks don't require entering the target creature's square. The attacker, outside the Antimagic Field, doesn't (by RAW) "partially" leave their own square. All aspects of melee attacks are resolved in the attacker's space. Ranged attacks, on the other hand, are resolved in the target's space.

You'll need to provide a rules citation to back that up.

Do note that many aspects of combat are simplified by the D&D rules, and this is one such simplification. While in the real world you must extend a melee weapon to reach a target, in the D&D world you just need to be within your weapon's reach; no actual movement in the target's direction takes place. This is certainly no stranger than having no facing direction in the D&D world, another game rule simplification; in the real word your eyes don't work in all directions simultaneously.
Let me use this as supporting evidence then. Consider the following situation. You've got a human fighter of normal size and a non-reach weapon. A Large creature with a natural reach of 10 ft and without Improved Grapple or Improved Grab or any such similar abilities attempts to start a grapple on the human fighter. The creature starts 10 ft away from the human, so the human can't reach the creature normally, and doesn't threaten the creature.

Part of the grappling rules says: Make a touch attack to your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target. If the attack deals damage, the grapple fails.

No where in there does it say anything about the target having to threaten you. In order for this to make sense at all, the human must be striking at the creature's limbs as the creature extends its limbs forward to try to make that initial Touch Attack on the human.

By this example, it is not hard to see how a summoned creature can be partially affected by an AMF by extending its limbs into it for whatever reason.

This is certainly no stranger than having no facing direction in the D&D world, another game rule simplification; in the real word your eyes don't work in all directions simultaneously.
Or that you can heal someone via drowning? :smallfrown:

Math_Mage
2010-08-26, 02:10 AM
Let me use this as supporting evidence then. Consider the following situation. You've got a human fighter of normal size and a non-reach weapon. A Large creature with a natural reach of 10 ft and without Improved Grapple or Improved Grab or any such similar abilities attempts to start a grapple on the human fighter. The creature starts 10 ft away from the human, so the human can't reach the creature normally, and doesn't threaten the creature.

Part of the grappling rules says: Make a touch attack to your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target. If the attack deals damage, the grapple fails.

No where in there does it say anything about the target having to threaten you. In order for this to make sense at all, the human must be striking at the creature's limbs as the creature extends its limbs forward to try to make that initial Touch Attack on the human.

By this example, it is not hard to see how a summoned creature can be partially affected by an AMF by extending its limbs into it for whatever reason.

Or that you can heal someone via drowning? :smallfrown:

However little sense healing by drowning makes, this is the RAW thread, not the RAMS thread. However, it's important to note that grappling is different from other attacks because you enter the target's square on a successful grapple attempt, which allows the AMF to apply by RAW. So the example is inapplicable in any case. To continue this discussion, I suggest you start a new thread. Otherwise we will be derailing this one.

Frosty
2010-08-26, 02:20 AM
You have not refuted my point. The AoO happens at the Touch Attack stage of grappling, before the grappler enters the target's square. That reasoning alone is enough to say that creature can and do extend part of their limbs into other peoples' squares. This is completely RAW and not Rules as Makes Sense or whatever RAMS is.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-26, 03:36 AM
You have not refuted my point.
Your point refuted in a new thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165756).

Chrizzt
2010-08-26, 05:05 AM
Q 265

1. Consider you are a wizard with a total bonus of +9 to Craft Alchemy and you want to craft Acid. How many Flasks of Acid can you craft in a week?

Is the product of the craft check result x the DC the work in silverpieces, or is just the craft check the amount of silver pieces per week?

Math_Mage
2010-08-26, 05:15 AM
A265: The former.

To determine how much time and money it takes to make an item, follow these steps.

1. Find the item’s price. Put the price in silver pieces (1 gp = 10 sp).
2. Find the DC from the table below.
3. Pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.
4. Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s work. If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC. If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.) If the result × the DC doesn’t equal the price, then it represents the progress you’ve made this week. Record the result and make a new Craft check for the next week. Each week, you make more progress until your total reaches the price of the item in silver pieces.

If you roll a natural 20 on the craft check for making acid (DC 15), your silver pieces result is 15*29 = 435 silver pieces; since acid costs 100 silver pieces, you've made it in a bit less than a quarter of a week, about a day and a half. You can make ~4 flasks of acid per week at this rate. On average, you will get 15*19.5 = 292.5 silver pieces as your result, which allows ~3 flasks per week.

Escheton
2010-08-26, 08:18 AM
Q266 You can't apply metamagic feats to scrolls-cast spells can you?
not even by reducing the spell-lvl-mod to 0 right?

Douglas
2010-08-26, 08:56 AM
Q266 You can't apply metamagic feats to scrolls-cast spells can you?
not even by reducing the spell-lvl-mod to 0 right?
A scroll can be made with a metamagic feat pre-applied as part of the scroll (adjusting price for the higher spell slot level), but you cannot apply your own metamagic feats to a scroll you use. Artificers get a class feature that allows using metamagic with items, but I think it only works with multi-charge items like wands.

WarKitty
2010-08-26, 10:08 AM
Q267

The assassin death attack states "If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice). While studying the victim, the assassin can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the assassin or recognize the assassin as an enemy."

Can the assassin make a death attack against an enemy that is in combat with his party (with the enemy being aware of the assassin), as long as the assassin does not do anything for the required 3 rounds of study?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-26, 12:55 PM
A 267 Yes.

The requirement is on the Assassin's actions (3 rounds of study), without any requirement of activity or lack thereof on the target's part.

WarKitty
2010-08-26, 12:59 PM
A 267 Yes.

The requirement is on the Assassin's actions (3 rounds of study), without any requirement of activity or lack thereof on the target's part.

Q267a So what exactly does that line about "so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the assassin or recognize the assassin as an enemy" mean? If the target is aware of the assassin then the assassin can't do anything other than study, but if the target isn't aware the assassin can take other actions?

WinWin
2010-08-26, 01:10 PM
A267
It means the Assassin only gets one death attack attempt per encounter (usually)

The assassin can engage the target in conversation, or follow them with stealth. This counts as study so long as the target is not aware of the assassin's hostile intent.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-26, 01:11 PM
A 267a

The Assassin cannot take any actions that threaten the target or cause the target to become aware of the Assassin. However, if other characters threaten the target, then the Assassin's death attack study can continue.

As an example, the Assassin could (while concealed) poison a blade during the death attack study.

WarKitty
2010-08-26, 05:17 PM
Not sure I was clear. I meant in the original post that the target is aware of the assassin and is already in combat with her party (thus obviously recognizing her as an enemy). My player was arguing that as long as she didn't do anything for 3 rounds, she should still get the death attack, because the second line only applies if the assassin is doing something else as well.

Math_Mage
2010-08-26, 07:05 PM
A267 clarification

The restrictions about the target detecting you/recognizing you as an enemy apply to death attacks in general, not merely to the 'other actions' you can take besides studying the target. Your player is incorrect.

Bulwer
2010-08-27, 07:54 AM
Q268

Would Detect Magic be able to detect an ongoing (su) ability, such as a permanent Detect Evil or a supernatural save bonus?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-27, 09:39 AM
A 268 Yes.
Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. ... Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice.
The strength of the Supernatural ability for purposes of Detect Magic is given by the creature's HD.

Dumbledore lives
2010-08-27, 06:51 PM
Q269

Does the Goliath's powerful build still apply if he is large size through a template like Half-Minotaur?

Frosty
2010-08-27, 07:25 PM
Q269

Does the Goliath's powerful build still apply if he is large size through a template like Half-Minotaur?
Depends on the exact wording. Does it say that you count as Large for <XYZ> purposes, or does it say that you count as one size category larger for <XYZ> purposes, or does it say that you count as one size category larger than normal for <XYZ> purposes?

Greenish
2010-08-27, 07:52 PM
Q269

Does the Goliath's powerful build still apply if he is large size through a template like Half-Minotaur?A269 Yes. Powerful Build specifies that the character is treated as being one size larger (for some things), so a Large character with PB would be counted as Huge for them.

[Edit]: The Powerful Build quality of all three races who have it is identical, so what holds true for goliaths also applies to half-giants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) and eneko.

Bulwer
2010-08-27, 11:12 PM
Q 270

If I'm wielding a two-handed weapon, can I switch it to one hand and use a natural Slam attack? Does that switching cost an action?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-28, 06:02 AM
A 270

Taking one hand off a two-handed weapon is a free action; indeed, using some weapons like quarterstaves involves constantly changing hand positions.

WinWin
2010-08-28, 07:05 AM
A270

If making a full attack, you would gain the slam attack in addition to the weapon. You would not be required to take your hand off a 2 handed weapon in order to do so, unless the slam description explicitly stated that was the case.

A slam can be a punch. It can also be a kick, headbutt, elbow, pelvic thrust or whatever description fits the needs of your game. It follows the rules for natural attacks. As such, it would be +str to hit and str+1 1/2 to damage. Most slam attacks are primary natural attacks, this will be called out in the description of the ability.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-28, 07:52 AM
It follows the rules for natural attacks. As such, it would be +str to hit and str+1 1/2 to damage.
Please note that the 1½∙STR bonus applies only if the slam attack is the creature's sole natural weapon. Primary attacks in cases where there's more than one natural weapon apply 1∙STR bonus, and secondary natural attacks always add ½∙STR bonus.

FMArthur
2010-08-28, 12:59 PM
Q271

Is there any way to use Iaijutsu Focus while under the effects of Rage? Rage disables all Charisma-based skills, but I was wondering if there was a feat or ACF (or less usefully, a PrC) that lets you bypass this limitation of Rage.

WarKitty
2010-08-28, 09:33 PM
Q272

Is there any way to share item creation xp costs?

Thurbane
2010-08-28, 09:52 PM
Q 273

This might go beyond the realm of "simple", but is there any way to get a Favored Soul's spells to count as arcane, in particular to qualify for the Ultimate Magus PrC?

WarKitty
2010-08-28, 11:30 PM
A 273

Alternate Spell Source from Dragon Magazine #325, if you have at least one level in an arcane class.

FMArthur
2010-08-29, 01:55 AM
Q 274

Is there any way to automatically succeed on an opposed Strength check that does not involve trying to get +enormous to your modifier? Assume that the opposition's check is quite simply impossible to beat using sheer numbers even with maximum cheese. So do any spells, powers, feats or class features (preferably pre-epic) allow a character to simply bypass a Strength or general ability check and succeed on it?

WinWin
2010-08-29, 04:21 AM
A272

No. Characters can cooperate with item creation, but the 'lead' craftsman pays the xp costs.

I can recall some online content from the wizarsd site that was an exeption to this. Specifically a magical amulet that allowed for xp sharing. Unfortunately I can't find the link.

BoVD has rules for liquid pain and souls as power, but that is probably not what you mean by sharing.

jpreem
2010-08-29, 06:32 AM
Q275
What values will and what won't be multiplied on a critical hit.
Example Character with str bonus +4 powerattacks for 2 with Two handed +1 flaming Greatsword .
On normal hit 2d6(weapon base) +1 (+1 magical) +1d6(fire) + 6(str bonus for two handed) + 4 (two-handed powerattack)
For critical the damage should be multiplied 2x. BUt what part of it.
The wording is Exception: Extra damage over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.
So what is the extra damage - is it everything else than 2d6? Or will the str bonus still stay?

powerdemon
2010-08-29, 06:34 AM
Q272

Is there any way to share item creation xp costs?

A 272
It's not raw, but this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Transference_%283.5e_Feat%29)feat does what you ask.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-29, 06:38 AM
A275

As per page 140 of the PHB:

"A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses...extra damage over and above a weapon's normal damage, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a flaming sword, is not multiplied...

In your example, the following formula would provide your damage, where X=crit multiplier.

Damage=X(2d6+1+6+4)+1d6, or 2xd6+11x+1d6.

WinWin
2010-08-29, 06:41 AM
A275

Bonus dice are usually not multiplied.

In your example:
Strength bonus would be multiplied.
Enhancemet bonus would be multiplied
Power attack would be multiplied.
The flaming effect would not be multiplied.

If the character was using a greatsword (multiplier x2)
They would deal 3d6+15 on a normal hit(2d6 base, +1d6 fire, +1 enhancement, +6 str, +8 for 4 points of power attack 2 handed).

5d6 +30 on a critical hit. All damage but the flaming quality doubled.

edit:ninjas

WarKitty
2010-08-29, 05:02 PM
Q276

Other than Mystic Theurge and Arcane Hierophant, are there any classes that can advance two spellcasting classes at once?

Q277

Is there any way to get a spell added to your class list from another list?

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-29, 06:45 PM
Partial A277
Certain classes, such as Dread Necromancer and Beguiler, have a class feature that adds spells to their class list at specific levels.

Q278
What is the name of the feat that is essentially a ranged version of Power Attack?

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-29, 06:58 PM
A 278

There's a feat called Power Throw in Complete Adventurer that allows you to use Power Attack with thrown weapons. (Requires: Str 13, Power Attack and Brutal Throw.)

W3bDragon
2010-08-29, 07:02 PM
Q 279

Can I use Power Attack when attempting to trip, so that I can apply the power attack damage on the free attack granted by Improved Trip? I ask because trip stipulates that its a melee touch attack.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-29, 07:09 PM
A 278

There's a feat called Power Throw in Complete Adventurer that allows you to use Power Attack with thrown weapons. (Requires: Str 13, Power Attack and Brutal Throw.)

Close, but not quite. I could have sworn there was a feat that applied to any ranged weapon.

WinWin
2010-08-29, 07:14 PM
A279

Sort of. Trip is an opposed attribute roll, not an attack roll. Power attack effects all attacks until the start of your next turn. You would have to declare you were using PA before making any attacks, trip is an attack action.

That was a long-winded yes.

Koury
2010-08-29, 07:24 PM
Q280

Does Expanded Spellbook (from Master Specialist) allow you to add spells from lists other then your own (assuming you follow the school restriction)? For example, can a Conjurer add, say, Cure Light Wounds to his spell book?

Expanded Spellbook: When you reach 2nd level, you can
add one spell of your chosen school to your spellbook. The
spell can be of any level that you can cast, and it is in addition
to the normal spells gained when increasing your level.
You can add another spell of your chosen school to your
spellbook at 5th and at 8th level.

Math_Mage
2010-08-29, 07:25 PM
A279 Clarification

You would first declare that you were Power Attacking for some number. You would then make the melee touch attack required for a trip with the reduced modifier to your attack roll. You would then make the opposed check, unchanged. If you succeeded in tripping the opponent, you could then make a regular attack roll, with the PA reduction, against the prone opponent (so -4 to his AC), and apply the PA bonus to your damage on that attack.

EDIT:
A280: No. The spell is "in addition to the normal spells gained when increasing your level," so the same restrictions apply.

WinWin
2010-08-29, 08:53 PM
A276

Many. Fochlucan Lyrist (arcane/divine), Ultimate Magus (spontaneous/prepared arcane), Cerebremancer (psionic/arcane), Eldritch Disciple (divine/invocation), Eldritch theurge (arcane/invocation), Anima Mage (arcane/binding), Tenebrous Apostate (divine/binding) and Noctumancer (arcane/mysteries). That is just off the top of my head. I am sure there are more.

Zhalath
2010-08-29, 11:04 PM
Partial A277

Q278
What is the name of the feat that is essentially a ranged version of Power Attack?

One of my PCs has a feat named Called Shot. I believe it was homebrewed, but I'm not sure. It works as Power Attack, but for either all ranged weapons or just bows (he's an archery focused ranger, so I never see him use other ranged weapons). I'd suggest searching for it on this site.

Kumori
2010-08-30, 12:31 AM
Q281
Can a player with maneuvers ready a single maneuver more than once so as to be able to use it more than once without recovering it?

Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find it with a brief search...

Frosty
2010-08-30, 12:51 AM
A.281 Nope. Maneuvers are either readied or not.

jguy
2010-08-30, 01:28 AM
Q.282 If I applied Incarnate Construct onto a warforged, what traits would fall off and which would remain?

Kumori
2010-08-30, 01:31 AM
A.281 Nope. Maneuvers are either readied or not.

Can you reference anything here for me, or must I just take you at your word? I'm not saying I disagree, in fact it's the opposite. I just want some more certainty.
Thanks for the help.

jguy
2010-08-30, 01:35 AM
Can you reference anything here for me, or must I just take you at your word? I'm not saying I disagree, in fact it's the opposite. I just want some more certainty.
Thanks for the help.

When a maneuver is used, it becomes expended and must be recovered. You are thinking like spells in that you can memorize more than 1 of the same spell. You cannot do the same with maneuvers.

Math_Mage
2010-08-30, 05:32 AM
A281 Citation

Readying Maneuvers
You do not need to ready your stances ahead of time. Every stance you know is available to you. However, maneuvers require preparation in the form of exercise, prayer, meditation, or simple mental rehearsal. Therefore, you must choose a selection of readied maneuvers from all the maneuvers you know. Only your readied maneuvers are available for immediate use.

So you choose some maneuvers you know and they become readied maneuvers. It's not like spellcasting, where you can fill multiple spell slots with the same spell.

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 09:56 AM
A.281 note: If the player is a multiclass martial adept and has access to the same maneuver in more than one of his maneuver pools, he can prepare it once in each of those pools.

WinWin
2010-08-30, 10:11 AM
A282

They would lose the Construct type and consequently the Living Construct subtype. Additionally, all special qualities are lost (living construct, light fortification, armour plating, etc.)

Type would change to Humanoid or Giant.

Any natural armour could be reduced (depending on the type of warforged.)

Slam attacks would be lost. Unarmed attacks are determined by size.

Would lose all feats upon taking the template (though you can gain them with levels.)

Any attributes below 3 are raised to 3.

Nonabilities are determined randomly.

Bulwer
2010-08-30, 10:28 AM
Q283

If I use Power Attack, deal damage, and get a free trip attack from Knock-Down, do I apply my PA penalty to the touch attack to initiate the trip?

OMG PONIES
2010-08-30, 10:44 AM
A283: Yes, because it's an attack roll. However, you needn't apply the penalty to your STR check.

powerdemon
2010-08-30, 04:28 PM
Q 284

Is there any way for a class to get better BAB progression?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-30, 04:48 PM
A 284

Outside of class variants or a campaign that allows gestalt character rules, no.

powerdemon
2010-08-30, 04:50 PM
Q 285
Are there any feats that improve the rate that non-lethal damage is healed?

Koury
2010-08-30, 05:09 PM
Q286

Re: Uncanny Forethought

UNCANNY FORETHOUGHT
You cunningly prepare your spells for any exigency.
Prerequisites: Int 17, Spell Mastery.
Benefit: When preparing your daily allotment of spells,
you can reserve a number of spell slots equal to your Intelligence
modifi er. As a standard action, you can use one of these
slots to cast a spell that you selected for the Spell Mastery feat.
The level of the slot used must be equal to or greater than the
level of the spell you intend to cast.
Alternatively, as a full-round action, you can use a
reserved slot to cast any spell that you know. The spell is
resolved as normal, but for the purpose of the spell, your
caster level is reduced by two. The level of the slot used
must be equal to or greater than the level of the spell you
intend to cast.

I am a Wizard//Cleric. Can I reserve my Cleric slots for use with Uncanny Forethought?

If so, can I use that reserved Cleric slot to cast an arcane spell instead?

Thurbane
2010-08-30, 05:13 PM
A 286

RAI - it should probably be for Wizard slots only.

RAW - there is no stipulation that the slots need to be Wizard spell slots (only if you wanted to use it in conjunction with Spell Mastery spells).

heymejack
2010-08-30, 07:22 PM
Q 287

Does a ranger2/halfling outrider10/wild plains outrider 2 have an effective druid level of 13? or 7?

if that same character has the feat wild cohort, and the wild cohort is the mount, do outrider levels still stack for the animal companion? even though it is JUST an animal companion, and not the mount?

Blinkbear
2010-08-31, 02:09 AM
Q. 288 Released undead creatures

What do undeads created by animate dead do if they are not controlled for the following reasons?

1) the undead creature was released by the spellcaster (to be able to control different undead creatures or the like)
2) the spellcaster is slain
3) the spellcaster is not able to command it (can not speak, unconscious...)

Chrizzt
2010-08-31, 05:31 AM
Q 289

a )If a Wizard takes the feat Improved Familiar, does this familiar also receive the increase in intelligence, natural armor class and the like, just like an ordinary familiar?

Improved Familiar

From SRD:
Improved Familiar [General]

This feat allows spellcasters to acquire a new familiar from a nonstandard list, but only when they could normally acquire a new familiar.
Prerequisites

Ability to acquire a new familiar, compatible alignment, sufficiently high level (see below).
Benefit

When choosing a familiar, the creatures listed below are also available to the spellcaster. The spellcaster may choose a familiar with an alignment up to one step away on each of the alignment axes (lawful through chaotic, good through evil).

Improved familiars otherwise use the rules for regular familiars, with two exceptions: If the creature’s type is something other than animal, its type does not change; and improved familiars do not gain the ability to speak with other creatures of their kind (although many of them already have the ability to communicate).

The list in Table: Improved Familiar by Alignment presents only a few possible improved familiars. Almost any creature of the same general size and power as those on the list makes a suitable familiar. Nor is the master’s alignment the only possible categorization. For instance, improved familiars could be assigned by the master’s creature type or subtype, as shown in Table: Improved Familiar by Type/Subtype.

I am inclined to say yes, though many improved familiars (Quasit, Imp) already have higher Int or natural armor than they would be granted due to being a familiar.

b) I assume, in such cases, they take their own (higher) values?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-31, 06:40 AM
A 288

Animate Dead creates only mindless undead (Zombies, Skeletons), which have no independent volition; they do nothing. Upon the caster's death the undead are no longer controlled. Undead under the control of a living caster who isn't giving new orders (for whatever reason) continue to follow their last order.

Blinkbear
2010-08-31, 08:36 AM
A 288

Animate Dead creates only mindless undead (Zombies, Skeletons), which have no independent volition; they do nothing. Upon the caster's death the undead are no longer controlled. Undead under the control of a living caster who isn't giving new orders (for whatever reason) continue to follow their last order.

Can once released undead be controlled again by another spellcaster? Other than using rebuke undead?

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-31, 08:46 AM
Can once released undead be controlled again by another spellcaster? Other than using rebuke undead?

You can also gain control using spells such as command undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commandUndead.htm), but you can't gain the automatic control granted by being the undead's creator.

Renaissance Man
2010-08-31, 10:25 AM
Q 290
The spell "Shades" can mimic sorcerer/wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower. It says that nondamaging effects are 80% likely to work against nonbelievers.
But what about the spells that aren't really against anyone, like mage's magnificent mansion or secure shelter? Can you chose to be a nonbeliever if you cast the spell or know that it was cast with shades? And can you choose not to make a save to disbelieve if you want the spell to work 100%?
What about the spells that aren't really against anyone, but may oppose someone else involved in combat, like mage armor or wall of stone? Would the armor and wall be solid for believers and not for nonbelievers?

Thanks

OMG PONIES
2010-08-31, 12:42 PM
Q291:

How do multiple sources of concealment resolve? For instance, if I have a class feature, an item, and a spell that each provide 20% miss chance, does a foe have to defeat each instance of concealment, or only one?