PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

WarKitty
2010-09-16, 05:11 PM
Q386
Is there a way for a non-archivist divine caster to add spells from another divine class to her list? hasn't been answered yet.

Q341
Are there any methods for adding a natural attack to a creature that does not normally possess one?

Math_Mage
2010-09-16, 06:31 PM
hasn't been answered yet.

Q341
Are there any methods for adding a natural attack to a creature that does not normally possess one?

A341 Partial
Templates like Feral, spells like Polymorph, and Shape Soulmeld come to mind off the top of my head. Are we building a character or, say, trying to add natural attacks to a leopard?

Thurbane
2010-09-16, 06:59 PM
A 341

Person Man's excellent guide has a lot of options: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127463

soulsabre345
2010-09-16, 08:03 PM
Q 342

are you allowed to while hiding to coup de grace a helpless opponent? even while there are those looking for you? i'm interested in specifically is this situation valid within the hide/coup de grace rules:

there's a rogue , cleric, and helpless person. the rogue tries to coup de grace the helpless person, the cleric prevents him from doing so and watches the helpless person. the rogue leaves the room, comes back while hidden, moves 15' from his hiding spot and coup de graces the helpless target. there was only one spot and listen check throughout this series of actions in order for the cleric to spot the rogue and it was vs his unpenalized hide check, as well as no AoO triggered. is this the correct implementation of the rules, and if not please say why. (doing this to help a friend who feels he got shafted by the DM. the friend is the aforementioned cleric)

WarKitty
2010-09-16, 08:24 PM
A341 Partial
Templates like Feral, spells like Polymorph, and Shape Soulmeld come to mind off the top of my head. Are we building a character or, say, trying to add natural attacks to a leopard?

Trying to add natural attacks to a humanoid character that does not already possess them racially. Not allowed to use evil feats.

Math_Mage
2010-09-17, 12:15 AM
Q 342

are you allowed to while hiding to coup de grace a helpless opponent? even while there are those looking for you? i'm interested in specifically is this situation valid within the hide/coup de grace rules:

there's a rogue , cleric, and helpless person. the rogue tries to coup de grace the helpless person, the cleric prevents him from doing so and watches the helpless person. the rogue leaves the room, comes back while hidden, moves 15' from his hiding spot and coup de graces the helpless target. there was only one spot and listen check throughout this series of actions in order for the cleric to spot the rogue and it was vs his unpenalized hide check, as well as no AoO triggered. is this the correct implementation of the rules, and if not please say why. (doing this to help a friend who feels he got shafted by the DM. the friend is the aforementioned cleric)

He is moving through spaces that grant no cover or concealment, while they are being observed? Come on. The cleric spots him without a check. The coup de grace provokes an AoO, assuming you're in range. Whether or not you can disrupt the coup de grace with your AoO is a matter for debate.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-17, 12:36 AM
A 342

The Rogue can attempt a hidden coup de grace in the scenario you outlined under the following conditions:

The Rogue started either successfully hidden or outside line of sight of any potential observers.
Their movement is at least 30' to allow moving 15' at half speed, or their checks include a further -5 penalty.
They have at least 15 ranks in Hide.
They move up to attack distance of the helpless person as their last act of the round prior to the coup de grace.
Their Hide check, with a -15 penalty for the distance traveled, beats the reactive Spot check of any characters within line of sight (the Cleric).
Their Move Silently check beats the reactive Listen check of the Cleric.
The Cleric has not readied an action in the case of someone attacking the helpless person.
The Move between Cover application of the Hide skill allows you to sneak up on someone without cover, but with distance limitations and an appropriate penalty. See Complete Adventurer, pages 101-102. You remain hidden until you take some action that would attract attention, including attacking. As a coup de grace is a full-round action, as long as you start out hidden and both begin and complete the coup de grace on your turn, you can only be interrupted with a readied action. There is no attack of opportunity possible from the Rogue's movement if they remain hidden:
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies. There is no "unpenalized hide check" possible unless the Rogue has some other ability, such as Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight.

Duke of URL
2010-09-17, 07:57 AM
A 341, continued

Several templates (such as Draconic and Half-Dragon) provide natural attacks, as does the Dragon Disciple prestige class (sense a theme here?).

Edit: which are all in Person Man's guide, linked above. Never mind.

Telonius
2010-09-17, 09:21 AM
Q343

Does a Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) wearing Medium or Heavy armor suffer any Spell Failure chance?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-17, 10:44 AM
A 343 Yes.
Class Features

The divine bard has all the standard bard class features, except as noted below. The variant class doesn't note an exception to the following Bard class feature:

A bard can cast bard spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, a bard wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (most do). While the word "arcane" is featured here, the definition of ASF doesn't actually restrict it to arcane spells:

arcane spell failure

The chance that a spell fails and is cast to no effect because the caster's ability to use a somatic component was hampered by armor. Bards can ignore the arcane spell failure chance for light armor when casting bard spells. In essence the Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) is picking up the equivalent of the Divine Gesture flaw (from Dragon # 326, page 91):
Prerequisite: Ability to cast divine spells.
Effect: You suffer a spell failure chance (due to armor, shields, or anything else which causes arcane spell failure) when casting divine spells, just as if they were arcane spells.

Jacque
2010-09-17, 10:50 AM
Q344

An animal or magical beast with 1 bite and 2 claw attacks and improved grab, can it attack twice normally and then choose to grab on the third attack? Or does it have to try to grab on all attacks or none?

Q345

If an animal or magical beast with 1 bite and 2 claw attacks gets hasted, does it then recieve an extra bite attack on a full attack?

Telonius
2010-09-17, 10:53 AM
343 follow-up What's the source on that "arcane spell failure" quote? There's another section under Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#arcaneSpellFailure) that seems to specifically restrict it to arcane spells. (I do think it's a fairly close call, and I'm fairly sure there are a few different wordings floating around in various places - I'd like to find out exactly where they all appear if possible).

Armor interferes with the gestures that a spellcaster must make to cast an arcane spell that has a somatic component. Arcane spellcasters face the possibility of arcane spell failure if they’re wearing armor. Bards can wear light armor without incurring any arcane spell failure chance for their bard spells.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-17, 10:58 AM
343 follow-up What's the source on that "arcane spell failure" quote?
The definition in the Player's Handbook Glossary section, page 304.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-17, 11:37 AM
A343 Clarification

While humorous, the divine bard does not run the risk of arcane spell failure in medium or heavy armor, despite the definition of "arcane spell failure" in the glossary of the PHB. Consider the following quote:

A character who casts an arcane spell while wearing armor must usually make an arcane spell failure roll.

Emphasis mine.

Also, consider the line Telonius quoted, from the same page:

Armor interferes with the gestures that a spellcaster must make to cast an arcane spell that has a somatic component.

Again, emphasis mine.

And finally, let's consult the text of Divine Bard itself.

A divine bard's spells are divine spells, not arcane spells.

In conclusion, even though the class feature states the bard runs the risk of arcane spell failure in medium or heavy armor, and the general definition of ASF makes no mention of arcane spells, the specific rules regarding arcane spell failure specifically state that the roll must only be made when an arcane spell is cast, which the divine bard is not doing. Therefore, he may cast his [divine] spells unimpeded by medium or heavy armor.

Duke of URL
2010-09-17, 12:37 PM
A 344

By text of the ability, it automatically starts the grapple attempt on any successful melee attack:

If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required.

However, note that any creature may always choose to voluntarily fail any check.

A 345

Haste specifically says:

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding.

Since the description for Natural Attack says:

A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed

The most logical conclusion is that a natural weapon should count as a "weapon he is holding". (It's certainly RAI, even if RAW might be ambiguous.) The creature may choose to take the extra attack granted by haste with any one of its weapons.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-17, 02:31 PM
Re: A 343 Clarification

In conclusion, even though the class feature states the bard runs the risk of arcane spell failure in medium or heavy armor, and the general definition of ASF makes no mention of arcane spells, the specific rules regarding arcane spell failure specifically state that the roll must only be made when an arcane spell is cast, which the divine bard is not doing. I highlighted the word that represents the flaw in your argument. In each case the quotes you supplied state that the failure chance applies when casting an arcane spell. There is not, however, any rule stating that once you start casting divine spells instead that the failure chance goes away, specifically because that word only is not in those ASF rules.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-17, 02:38 PM
Re: A343 Clarification

I state "only" because of two things:

The term is explicit even without definition: arcane spell failure, like a divine spellcaster, assumes one descriptor to the exclusion of the other.
I could not find a single ruling that states a player must roll for arcane spell failure when casting a divine spell. The rule states what happens when they attempt to cast an arcane spell, as if that is the only situation in which the rule applies.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-17, 02:45 PM
Re: A 344
However, note that any creature may always choose to voluntarily fail any check.
That is not founded in the rules. Rather, the options for voluntary failure are quite limited. From Rules Compendium:

VOLUNTARILY FAILING
A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a consequence.

Doing so requires a successful melee touch attack against the falling creature, who can voluntarily forego any Dexterity bonus to AC. D&D, a game about heroic fantasy, has very few rules allowing voluntary failure.

Math_Mage
2010-09-17, 02:45 PM
Sounds like the Divine Bard needs its own thread.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-17, 03:08 PM
Re: A 343

I could not find a single ruling that states a player must roll for arcane spell failure when casting a divine spell.
The fact that you couldn't find something isn't a useful argument. I've already presented one way in which a divine spellcaster can have exactly the same failure chance as for ASF. And, strictly following the rules, the failure chance is a Bard class feature which isn't changed when the spell type is altered.

Anyway, this has gone on too long for Simple Q&A. I think we've covered all the points, but feel free to create a new thread if you have something new to add.

Warclam
2010-09-17, 05:39 PM
Q 346

Is there a nature-themed full casting class (arcane or divine) that has a d6 hit die and lowest BAB? Obscure sources accepted.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-17, 06:52 PM
A346

Shugenja (Complete Divine) seems like it would be what you're looking for. Low BAB, Cha-based spontaneous divine caster.

Thurbane
2010-09-17, 06:53 PM
A 346

Cloistered Cleric with nature themed domains/nature deity? (Animal, Plant etc.)

ffone
2010-09-18, 02:00 AM
Q347

Do rolls of 20 or 1 on a threat roll automatically confirm / not-confirm the crit?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-18, 06:42 AM
A347:

Yes.

To find out if [your threat is] a critical hit, you immediately make a critical roll--another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made.

A natural 1...on the attack roll is always a miss. A natural 20...is always a hit.

mootoall
2010-09-18, 02:19 PM
Q348: Can a Dread Necromancer activate his Charnel Touch class ability, then cast a touch spell, and have both effects happen?

Warclam
2010-09-18, 02:46 PM
A 348

No. Using Charnel Touch is a standard action in itself, so you can't cast a touch spell and use the free touch attack from the spell for charnel touch. However, if you cast the spell before using Charnel Touch (previous round, quickened spell), then the Charnel Touch can deliver the touch spell.

Peregrine
2010-09-18, 08:33 PM
I don't own Complete Adventurer -- I'm going off the WotC excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a) -- so maybe these spellthief questions are made clearer in the book.

Q 349a
How does steal spell-like ability interact with a warlock's eldritch blast and blast shapes/eldritch essences? Specifically, let's say a spellthief of, oh, let's say 9th level (max. SLA stolen of 3rd level spell equivalent), steals a warlock's eldritch blast (always 1st level equivalent thanks to errata). This warlock also knows brimstone blast (3rd level equiv.) and noxious blast (6th).

Which of the following is true? The warlock cannot use eldritch blast at all and so cannot modify it with any eldritch essence. The warlock cannot use eldritch blast, but can use brimstone blast and noxious blast as they were not stolen. The warlock cannot use eldritch blast, unless he modifies it to be above 3rd-level equivalent, as the spellthief could not steal an SLA of that level. Thus he can't use brimstone blast but can use noxious blast.

Q 349b
How does the spellthief's absorb spell interact with spell-like abilities? Can they be absorbed at all? If they can, since he "can cast the spell later ... as if he had stolen the spell with his steal spell ability", is the original owner denied its use until the spellthief casts it (a normal side effect of stealing it)? Actually, that question also goes for just absorbing spells from spontaneous casters...

Rasman
2010-09-18, 10:48 PM
Q350 What D&D book's abbreviation is SC or what book is the spell "Splinterbolt" in?

haha...Thanks you 3, I feel dumb now...I was trying to make it a Something Complete for some reason...guess my brain is on backwards

IthilanorStPete
2010-09-18, 10:52 PM
A 350

In answer to both - Spell Compendium.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-18, 10:53 PM
A 350

SC stands for Spell Compendium, and the Splinterbolt spell is in that book on pages 203-204.

Rezby
2010-09-18, 10:55 PM
{Scrubbed}

mykelyk
2010-09-18, 11:27 PM
Q 351a

Is possible to foil an Identify Spell?

Q 351b

Is possible for a lich that has been killed and his phylactery destroyed to came back?

Peregrine
2010-09-18, 11:36 PM
Q 351a

Is possible to foil an Identify Spell?

A 351a
Cursed items can.

A simple detect magic spell yields a misleading aura and strength, often indicating that the item is a noncursed item of similar sort. An identify spell only has a 1% chance per caster level to reveal a cursed item’s true properties, including the cursed aspect. Analyze dweomer reveals the true nature of a cursed item.

It would be reasonable to extend this to be a property that can be intentionally added, but I don't know any RAW sources that do so.

Q 351b

Is possible for a lich that has been killed and his phylactery destroyed to came back?

A 351b
The lich could be returned to its pre-undead state by resurrection and true resurrection. (Note that depending on how you interpret it, you may need a piece of the lich's original body for resurrection; if it has ever been destroyed and reformed at its phylactery, then any pieces of that new body can be said to have not been part of its body when it died.)

The Spell Compendium has revive undead, which states no reason why it couldn't be used on a de-phylacterised lich.

In short: yes.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-19, 12:01 AM
A 351a Yes.
If the object bearing (Nystul's) magic aura has identify cast on it or is similarly examined, the examiner recognizes that the aura is false and detects the object’s actual qualities if he succeeds on a Will save. Otherwise, he believes the aura and no amount of testing reveals what the true magic is. A simple 1st level glamer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicaura.htm) is all that's required, if the Identify caster fails the Will save. You know if you've succeeded on a saving throw, but not if you fail.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-19, 04:25 AM
Q352
Can you use manufactured & natural weapons in the same full attack?

eg. BAB gives two iterative attacks with a shortsword. Can I use my off hand claw attack in the same full attack? If so does it take the -5 for
mot having multiattack or something?

Math_Mage
2010-09-19, 06:07 AM
A352: Yes. Your iterative attacks are treated as the primary natural attack, so any natural weapons you may be using take the usual -5 penalty for being secondary natural attacks.

Thurbane
2010-09-19, 11:42 PM
Q 353

Does Delay Death protect from spells such as Ray of Enfeeblement, or Ray of Exhaustion?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-20, 01:15 AM
A 353 No.

Delay Death only protects from death due to hit point loss. Neither of the two Ray spells have a death effect.

Thurbane
2010-09-20, 01:44 AM
Q 353 correction

Oops! :smallredface:

I actually meant Death Ward, not Delay Death!

Curmudgeon
2010-09-20, 02:57 AM
A (353 corrected) No.

Ray of Exhaustion causes exhaustion or fatigue. Ray of Enfeeblement causes a penalty to Strength. Death Ward doesn't protect against either of these spells.

BooNL
2010-09-20, 04:25 AM
Q354

I was checking out the Vril race in DotU, but I can't for the life of me find a statblock related to them. Therefor I can't found out what the Shriek and Skinshift abilities do.

Am I just blind and looking at the wrong page references? If anyone can direct me to the correct page, cheers.

Coidzor
2010-09-20, 05:03 AM
Q355: What happens to the body of a skeleton or zombie when they're reduced to 0 HP?

(One of my friends has been arguing that their bodies turn into dust when they're killed by HP damage)

Duke of URL
2010-09-20, 07:37 AM
A 355

The RAW actually doesn't actually define what "destroyed" means. However, the animate dead spell notes that:

(A destroyed skeleton or zombie can't be animated again.)

Also, resurrection says:

So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected... You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed.

From those, it seems clear that while an undead creature who has been reduced to 0 hp or less (and is therefore destroyed), is no longer intact enough to be animated again (or subject to raise dead, refer to that spell's text to note the prohibition on bringing back a body that had become an undead), there must still be enough substance of the body intact in order for the text of resurrection to not contradict itself.

At this point, it becomes an interpretation and artistic license issue. The body could certainly turn to dust, as long as it is clear that such dust could be collected for the purposes of being a part of a body subject to resurrection.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-20, 08:01 AM
A 355 additional info

The body of the undead undergoes no special transformation when it's reduced to 0 hit points; it is destroyed in a metaphysical sense. Higher-level magic can still return it to undead status. Revive Undead (Libris Mortis, pages 70-71) provides this additional information:

Your restore animation to an undead creature destroyed by hit point loss (even zombies and skeletons that can’t normally be reanimated once destroyed).
The body of the undead to be revived must be whole.
A Mummy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mummy.htm) is another type of undead that's "destroyed" by hit point loss, but it definitely doesn't become dust at the time. The body of a mummy must be ground to make Mummy Dust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/mummyDust.htm).

jpreem
2010-09-20, 12:47 PM
Q 356
Can you ready an action that contains a 5-foot step. for example - If someone steps through the door Ill take a 5-foot step and whack him/her/it?

Duke of URL
2010-09-20, 12:49 PM
A 356

Yes:

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

Duke of URL
2010-09-20, 12:53 PM
Q 357

Following onto Q 356, if I ready an action to take a 5' step perpendicular to the charge (and possibly some standard action as well) if my character is being charged, how is the charge then resolved since my character is no longer in a straight line from the origin of the charge?

a) Does this prevent the charger from being able to make an attack at all?
b) If not, does the attacker gain any of the onuses or penalties due to charging?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-20, 01:25 PM
A357:

Barring some specific circumstances, I don't see how this would stop the charge. You don't have to be in a straight line to your foe--they must simply move in a straight line towards you. Usually, a 5-foot step is not enough to take you out of their reach. They would still be able to charge, with the same bonuses and penalties.

WarKitty
2010-09-20, 05:13 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find it

Q358
Do ability boosting items allow you to increase your spells/day?

Esser-Z
2010-09-20, 05:18 PM
A358

Yes.

Douglas
2010-09-20, 05:19 PM
A358

Yes. Bonus spell slots are based on your current total ability score, no matter how that total is produced. In order to make practical use of them any bonus must be sufficiently long term to last from the beginning of spell preparation through casting the spell, but bonuses from continuous items satisfy that easily.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-20, 05:43 PM
Q 359

Inspired by the response to the previous question, what would happen if there was a temporary, non-permanent effect that lasted for a day or more which provided a bonus to a spellcaster's relevant ability score for bonus spells? Would this count for bonus spells if the spellcaster regained spells during the duration? What happens when the effect wears off? Do the additional slots, if any, disappear? If so, how would you choose which slots disappear in the case of a prepared caster?

I would very much like some citations with this one, if it is not too much trouble.

Douglas
2010-09-20, 06:07 PM
A359

The standard 3 spells for boosting casting ability scores (Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, and Owl's Wisdom) each specifically state that they do not affect bonus spells, so increasing the duration of these particular spells would not be sufficient. Other spells that lack such a note could, indeed, increase spells per day if they last long enough. As for references, this one is a case of the default being "include all bonuses" and nothing overriding it. Every last mention of what you use to determine bonus spells, without exception, uses "ability score" or "intelligence", etc. instead of "ability score without temporary bonuses" or similar wording. An unqualified reference to an ability score like that always means the current actual value of the ability score.

For what happens when it wears off, that's a bit unclear. When the ability score goes down you lose all benefits of the higher score, and that would include extra spell slots, but I don't think RAW spells out anywhere exactly how that gets resolved. I would suggest allowing the player to choose which spells become inaccessible, and also extending the FAQ's example regarding temporary charisma bonuses and Turn Undead uses* to mean that he gets them back if the bonus returns. That is only my suggestion, however, not RAW.

* Basically, it says to track uses spent instead of uses remaining, and allow spending to increase uses spent up to whatever the current maximum uses/day happens to be at that particular moment.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-20, 06:08 PM
A 359

Gaining a bonus to your spellcasting stat works the same whether it's long-term or short-term. If the gain is present from spell preparation to casting, you get more spells. When you lose the ability you lose access to any extra spellls or spell slots prepared due to the temporary bonus.

What happens when you temporarily lose and then regain the spellcasting abilitiy isn't exactly addressed in the rules. This is similar to that of gaining and then removing a negative level, though. From Player's Handbook, page 310:

For each negative level gained ... a spellcaster loses one spell or spell slot from the highest spell level castable. If two or more spells fit this criterion, the caster decides which one becomes inaccessible. The lost spell becomes available again as soon as the negative level is removed, providing the caster would be capable of using it at that time.

Schylerwalker
2010-09-20, 09:16 PM
Q 360

Is a prone character technically helpless? And thus vulnerable to being CDG'ed?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-20, 09:23 PM
A 360 No.

Not in 3.5 rules. The position gives only a -4 penalty to melee attacks, a -4 penalty to AC vs. melee attacks, and a +4 AC bonus vs. ranged attacks.

Esser-Z
2010-09-20, 09:24 PM
A 360
Not at all!

From the SRD:

The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

I believe there are rules for moving (crawling) while prone,too. It's actually useful to be prone, sometimes.

Duke of URL
2010-09-21, 07:05 AM
Q 361

Is the Battle Caster feat (CArc) class-specific? I know that, for example, a bard who takes the feat can wear medium armor without worrying about ASF, and that such would not apply if he took a level of sorcerer, but what if he took a level of warlock?

That is, does taking the feat (once) apply to all classes he takes than can ignore ASF from certain types of armor, or does he have to take the feat for each appropriate class?

bokodasu
2010-09-21, 10:27 AM
Related to A360 - a 5' crawl is a full move when prone.

Q362 When Animals Attack! How does it work? The Dire Lion has a full attack of 2 claws +13 melee (1d6+7) and bite +7 melee (1d8+3), and pounce, giving them a full attack (including 2 rakes) on a charge.

Does this mean that the dire lion:

Charges
Pounces
Attacks twice with claws at +13
Attacks once with a bite at +7, and if successful
Grapples, and if successful at that,
Rakes once with each claw at +12?

That's a lot of attacks.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-21, 10:44 AM
A 361

Battle Caster applies to all relevant classes.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-21, 10:54 AM
A 362

Yes, that's a lot of attacks. Most of them are conditional, however. A charge requires a straight line to the intended target, without difficult terrain or other impediments to movement; failing that the Dire Lion will get just one claw attack when it closes to the target. Improved Grab requires a successful regular melee attack, not the touch attack required to grab your foe in a normal grapple; failing that there will be no bonus Rake attacks.

cd4
2010-09-21, 11:04 AM
Q363

If I was a Soulknife and took levels in Kensai, could I use the Kensai levels to upgrade my mind blade as my signiture weapon? If so and I was SoulKnife 10/Kensai 10 My Soulknife class would give my mindblade +2 and 2 levels of abilities while my Kensai levels would give me 10 levels of abilities or enchantment bonuses, so what does my mindblade become?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-21, 12:49 PM
A 363 No.

A Kensai's signature weapon must endure through the imbuing process, and only that particular weapon benefits from the imbuing. An otherwise identical weapon does not gain any benefit.
Mind Blade (Su)

As a move action, a Soulknife can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind. Each move action to create a mind blade fashions a new weapon. Any mind blade that the Soulknife stops wielding dissipates at the end of the round.

Torq
2010-09-21, 01:37 PM
Q364:

If a skill trick requires 5 ranks in a skill, can it be taken at 2nd level?

I'm not sure which standard to apply here. Weapon Focus/Finesse require +1BAB and can be taken at first allowing you to take a feat who's prereq. was achieved that level, where PrCs that require 8 ranks in a skill can't be taken until 6th level (the level after the prereq is satisfied).

OMG PONIES
2010-09-21, 01:56 PM
A364:

Yes, it can. You're spending skill points at the same time, so you can spend 5 points on ranks in a skill, then 2 points on a skill trick that has "5 ranks X" as a prerequisite. The reason you can't take the prestige class until 6th level is that you choose the class you're advancing (or entering) before spending your skill points, since the number of points you have to spend are dependent on the class you choose.

WarKitty
2010-09-21, 04:14 PM
Q365
Is there a complete list somewhere of prestige classes that advance divine spellcasting at first level?

Edit: Nvm answered my own question. Yay crystalkeep.

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 07:40 AM
Q 366

I'm looking at building a Rakshasa character for a gestalt game. However, I'm confused about the racial class skills. The section on "Rakshasas as Characters" says:

Its class skills are Bluff, Disguise, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, and Spot.

However, the stat block for the Rakshasa shows skill modifiers of:

Bluff +17*, Concentration +13, Diplomacy +7, Disguise +17 (+19 acting)*, Intimidate +5, Listen +13, Move Silently +13, Perform (oratory) +13, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +11, Spot +11

This yields skill ranks (after discounting ability modifiers, racial bonuses, and feats) of Bluff 10, Concentration 10, Diplomacy 4, Disguise 10, Intimidate 3, Listen 10, Move Silently 11 (!), Perform (oratory) 10, Sense Motive 10, Spellcraft 10, Spot 8.

Clearly something doesn't add up, even ignoring the impossibly high Move Silently ranks.

Since the "Reading the Monster Entries" section states:

All listed skills are class skills, unless the creature has a character class (noted in the entry).

It seems reasonable to add Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Spellcraft to its list of class skills. But what's the RAW ruling?

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 08:10 AM
A366
If I remember correctly, by RAW text trumps table. So you would get the class skills from the "Rashaka's as characters."

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 08:22 AM
A 366, discussion

A366
If I remember correctly, by RAW text trumps table. So you would get the class skills from the "Rashaka's as characters."

This is the point I was trying to get to, and should have mentioned it in the original question. It isn't text trumps table, it's text vs. text, as one of the text rules specifically says "All listed skills are class skills".

Maybe it's a case of specific vs. general, but if that's the case then the Rakshasa creature listing is simply wrong.

Zherog
2010-09-22, 08:47 AM
A 366 Discussion

I don't have my files handy so can't check; is there anything in the MM errata?

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 09:01 AM
A 366 Discussion

I don't have my files handy so can't check; is there anything in the MM errata?

Negative, no errata for Rakshasas.

Zherog
2010-09-22, 09:35 AM
A 366

Alright, given that then my purely RAW answer would be that the text in the monster entry (the specific) overrides the text that says all listed skills are class skills (the general). And so only the listed skills are class skills.

However, this is clearly another instance that's just wrong. Skills are often a mess, for various reasons. (as you pointed out, the Move Silently certainly looks funny.)

At this point, I think we should probably move any further talk about the rakshasa to it's own thread, though. I think we've gone past the "simple" discussion territory.

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 09:44 AM
Good point. Discussion thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169305) opened.

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 10:11 AM
Q367

By RAW, would a wilding clasp work with a pearl of speech?

Anterean
2010-09-22, 12:13 PM
Q 368

Applying special material coast.

Assuming I want a Mithral full plate barding or my paladin's warhorse , do I apply the 9000 gold cost before or after multiplying with 4 for armour fitted for large non humanoid creature.

In other words, does a mithral full plate barding cost 15000 gold or 42000 gold ?

StreetPizza
2010-09-22, 01:47 PM
Q 369

About Mithral Tornado/Adamantine Hurricane from the Tome of Battle's Iron Heart discipline: their targets, according to the book, are "all adjacent opponents" and "each adjacent opponent you threaten", respectively, so what happens when you use one of these maneuvers wielding a reach weapon?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 02:14 PM
A 367 No.
A wilding clasp can be attached to any item worn on the body.
When you place a pearl of speech upon your tongue (a standard action), it is absorbed into your mouth until you speak the proper com*mand word to release it. While you could attach a Wilding Clasp to a Pearl of Speech, the Clasp would be left behind when the Pearl is absorbed; the specific behavior of the Pearl takes precedent over the general behavior of the Wilding Clasp when attached to body slot items. However, unless you wild shape into a form without a tongue, the Pearl of Speech could be set aside until after the transformation and then placed upon the tongue of the new form.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 02:22 PM
A 368 42,000 gp

Following the rules for barding, apply all scaling factors related to material costs to the total computed for the default Medium size. Only non-material costs escape multiplication, such as masterwork fabrication. In the case of mithral the masterwork cost isn't separated out, so there are no exceptions; everything gets multiplied by 4.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 02:28 PM
A 369

These maneuvers can only be used against adjacent opponents you threaten. If you wield a reach weapon that does not threaten adjacent squares you cannot use the maneuvers. Wielding a reach weapon does not extend the valid targets of the maneuvers past squares adjacent to you. Basically using a reach weapon is a poor fit with these two maneuvers.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-22, 03:01 PM
A 369 Discussion:

Two possible scenarios where such maneuvers could actually be useful come to mind:

Attacking adjacent enemies with a spiked chain (or other reach weapon that still threatens adjacent enemies, if there is one).
A tiny character can use a reach weapon to attack adjacent foes without entering their square.

Keld Denar
2010-09-22, 03:25 PM
A 369 Discussion:

A tiny character can use a reach weapon to attack adjacent foes without entering their square.

No...by RAW, a reach weapon doubles a character's natural reach. A tiny creature has a natural reach of 0. Double 0 is 0. A tiny character gains no benefit from a reach weapon and will not threaten any adacent squares unless he or she has some other feature which allows them to, or their size increases to at least small.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 03:36 PM
Re: A 369 Discussion

Attacking adjacent enemies with a spiked chain (or other reach weapon that still threatens adjacent enemies, if there is one). That's already been addressed:

If you wield a reach weapon that does not threaten adjacent squares you cannot use the maneuvers.
Not by 3.5 rules.
Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A Tiny creature has a natural reach of 0'. Double that is still 0'.
Creatures that take up less than 1 square of space typically have a natural reach of 0 feet, meaning they can’t reach into adjacent squares. They must enter an opponent’s square to attack in melee.

Keld Denar
2010-09-22, 03:40 PM
11 minutes late and a biscuit short, my RAW-precise friend...:smallcool:

OMG PONIES
2010-09-22, 04:05 PM
Re: A369 Discussion/Retraction

That's already been addressed.

Sorry, I was just stating the opposite of what you stated so the poster knew they could still use the maneuvers with a spiked chain, since you seemed to imply they were useless.

Not by 3.5 rules. A Tiny creature has a natural reach of 0'. Double that is still 0'.

Fancy that. My bad--I thought the rules mentioned Tiny creatures, but they only cover Small+ creatures. My second point is retracted.

Jack Zander
2010-09-22, 06:08 PM
Q:370
How do Dragon Disciple bonus spells work? Do they add an extra spell per day for each spell level, or do you pick a specific level for each bonus spell granted?

Edit: Opps! Forgot to number my question :smallredface:

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 06:40 PM
Re: A369 Discussion/Retraction

Sorry, I was just stating the opposite of what you stated so the poster knew they could still use the maneuvers with a spiked chain, since you seemed to imply they were useless.
That's also incorrect. I included exactly what the rules require in this case, and you (apparently) didn't notice that my restriction was only for reach weapons which do not threaten adjacent squares.

I'm afraid "stating the opposite" is only in your mind.

Mordrigar
2010-09-22, 06:46 PM
Q:371
Is there anyway to add Cleric Domain (Magic) to a arcane caster (Sorcerer 5 / Eldritch Master 6) with feats, rituals or something else? Cost could be at most 70.000 gp or XP 5000

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 06:46 PM
Q 370

How do Dragon Disciple bonus spells work? Do they add an extra spell per day for each spell level, or do you pick a specific level for each bonus spell granted?A 370

Dragon Disciple bonus spells are for one specific level only.
A bonus spell can be added to any level of spells the disciple already has the ability to cast. That's "any level", rather than "all levels".

Keld Denar
2010-09-22, 06:52 PM
A 371 (renumber please)

There is the Planar Touchstone feat in the Planar Handbook. You need to buy a 250g focus stone and have a few ranks in Knowledge Planes. Then you can dial your Touchstone into one of a rather large number of planar sites. One of those sites is called the Catalogues of Enlightenment. Keying your Touchstone to this location gives you the granted power of ANY one domain, of your choice. If you select Magic, you will indeed gain the Magic Domain granted power.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 06:58 PM
A 371

The Domain Access alternative class feature (Complete Champion, page 52) lets you trade some arcane spellcasting to acquire a Clerical domain. The class retraining/rebuilding process in Players Handbook II would let you make this change.

The Arcane Disciple feat (Complete Divine, page 79) would let you add the Magic domain spells to your Sorcerer class list. The Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook, page 41), travel to the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook, page 166), a 250 gp special item, and 1d4 weeks each year can grant and maintain the granted power of a Clerical domain.

Mordrigar
2010-09-22, 07:05 PM
A 371

The Domain Access alternative class feature (Complete Champion, page 52) lets you trade some arcane spellcasting to acquire a Clerical domain. The class retraining/rebuilding process in Players Handbook II would let you make this change.

The Arcane Disciple feat (Complete Divine, page 79) would let you add the Magic domain spells to your Sorcerer class list. The Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook, page 41), travel to the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook, page 166), a 250 gp special item, and 1d4 weeks each year can grant and maintain the granted power of a Clerical domain.

A 371 (renumber please)

There is the Planar Touchstone feat in the Planar Handbook. You need to buy a 250g focus stone and have a few ranks in Knowledge Planes. Then you can dial your Touchstone into one of a rather large number of planar sites. One of those sites is called the Catalogues of Enlightenment. Keying your Touchstone to this location gives you the granted power of ANY one domain, of your choice. If you select Magic, you will indeed gain the Magic Domain granted power.

Thanks for both answers!

Keld Denar
2010-09-22, 08:10 PM
A 371
The Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook, page 41), travel to the Catalogues of Enlightenment (Planar Handbook, page 166), a 250 gp special item, and 1d4 weeks each year can grant and maintain the granted power of a Clerical domain.

A 371 Correction

You do NOT need to visit the touchstone ever. You have to spend 8 Ranks in Know: Planes, 24 hours, 10 xp, 250 g, and the feat to forge the link. This gives you get the BASE ability (Benefit, paragraph 1-2, pg 41). The BASE ability of the Catalogues of Enlightenment is the domain granted power (Planar Handbook, 166). IF you want to use the higher level powers, you'd have to visit the Catalogues and perform services and do that kinda thing (Benefit, paragraph 2, pg 41), but none of that is required for the BASE ability.

The higher order ability of Catalogues of Enlightenment is the ability to cast a spell from the chosen domain as though you had memorized it, once per day, provided you have the Wisdom to cast the spell. You can use this ability 3 times ever before you have to plane shift back to the Catalogues and spend another 1d4 weeks indexing books before you can use it again.

Sorry, had to pedant the pedantic...:smallcool:

Thurbane
2010-09-22, 09:04 PM
Q 372

If a character has both the Hold the Line and Sidestep Charge feats, would he be entitled to two AoO against a charging attacker (assuming the attack missed)? If he also had a reach weapon, would this increase to three AoO?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 09:24 PM
Re: A 371 Correction

You do NOT need to visit the touchstone ever. You have to spend 8 Ranks in Know: Planes, 24 hours, 10 xp, 250 g, and the feat to forge the link.
Sorry, had to pedant the pedantic...:smallcool:
You need more than 250 gp. You need to have a "Portable object of at least 250 gp value native to any designated planar touchstone site". While it isn't required that you go to the specific location to obtain that item, someone must go to the location in order for you to satisfy the prerequisites of the Planar Touchstone feat. You can't qualify to take the feat without an object from a planar touchstone site.

To go into full details, you could qualify to take the feat with an object from another planar touchstone site instead of the one associated with your desired site. You would need to physically visit the intended site, and then fulfill the higher-order recharge requirements for that site; then you could switch the Planar Touchstone feat's association to the desired site.
I'm sorry if my eliding of the details has caused any confusion. But travel by someone to the planar touchstone site is essential. Planar Handbook doesn't have such objects for sale in the Equipment & Magic Items chapter, and thus there is no mechanism for procuring them apart from some character making the necessary site trip.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 09:35 PM
A 372

Each separate provocation grants you an attack of opportunity. Charging into a square you threaten, with Hold the Line, provokes an AoO. Leaving a square you threaten with a reach weapon provokes an AoO. A charger whose attack against you fails, with Sidestep Charge, provokes an AoO. If you have Combat Reflexes plus a high enough DEX modifier you get to make all three of those attacks of opportunity.

Keld Denar
2010-09-22, 09:45 PM
Re: Re: A 371 Correction

RAW doesn't say you or someone you know has to get it, mearly that you obtain it. And its a 250g VALUE, rather than an object worth 250g. Part of that 250g value could include transport of the object from said location to the prime. Also, if you are creating a character above 1st, you just mark it on your character sheet, as the only thing that matters is WBL for encounter balancing. If you are starting at 1st, you simply work it out with your DM that you'd like the opportunity to obtain it, just the same way you'd work out with your DM to find a weapon in game that you can use, or a specific item you'd like for your character. RAW doesn't say you have to visit the site. Anywhere. HOW you aquire it is between you and your DM as with EVERY item in the game, but visiting the site is not the only path. The whole ordeal requires a certain amount of DM participation, since Planar Touchstone locations might not be a part of your DMs cosmology. If you acknowledge that much DM participation, then aquiring the stone shouldn't be out of the range of possibility. If anything, it gives the DM a great plothook, a free carrot if you will, that MAY or MAY NOT involve interplanar traffic, as desired by the specific DM. Technically, D&D doesn't have any rules for aquiring costly spell components either, so no casting Raise Dead, Animate Dead, Forcecage, Secret Chest, Astral Projection, or any spell who's components aren't included in your default spell component pouch as they don't appear on any table either, if you want to play that game.

Implying that the feat REQUIRES interplanar travel is NOT RAW.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-22, 09:59 PM
Re: Re: A 371 Correction

Also, if you are creating a character above 1st, you just mark it on your character sheet, as the only thing that matters is WBL for encounter balancing.
We're getting off RAW here. I don't know of any rules allowing you to "just mark on your character sheet" items that aren't either normal equipment or magic items. From Dungeon Master's Guide, page 199, "CREATING PCS ABOVE 1ST LEVEL":
5. Equip the character. When creating a 1st-level character, this means buying normal equipment. At higher levels, it also means deciding which magic items a character has acquired so far. Anyway, this is getting into details that are past the RAW answer, so I'm done with this question.

BooNL
2010-09-23, 12:28 AM
Q354

I was checking out the Vril race in DotU, but I can't for the life of me find a statblock related to them. Therefor I can't found out what the Shriek and Skinshift abilities do.

Am I just blind and looking at the wrong page references? If anyone can direct me to the correct page, cheers.

Repost. ten chars

Wonton
2010-09-23, 01:29 AM
Q 373

Does a Bard 6/Lyric Thaumaturge 3 have access to Inspire Courage +2 or Inspire Greatness? LT says it grants daily Bardic Music uses, but it doesn't state anywhere that it lets you learn new abilities, or improve old ones.

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 01:36 AM
A 354
There is DotU errata here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070504a).

Skinshift (Ex) Once per day as a move action, a vril can alter the consistency of its flesh for a number of rounds equal to 3 + its Con modifier. For the duration of the effect, it gains damage reduction 5 against its choice of bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage.
Starting at 4th level and every four levels thereafter, a vril can use this ability one extra time per day (2/day at 4th, 3/day at 8th, 4/day at 12th, and so on).
Shriek (Ex) Once per day as a standard action, a vril can emit a horrible shriek, either as a 15-foot-radius burst centered on itself or as a 30-foot cone. Any creature in the affected area takes 1d6 points of sonic damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the vril’s character level + the vril’s Con modifier) reduces the damage by half. A vril barbarian can use its shriek when raging.
The shriek’s damage increases by 1d6 at 3rd level and every three levels thereafter (2d6 at 6th, 3d6 at 9th, and so on), up to a maximum of 4d6 points of sonic damage at 12th level.

They appear to be LA+0 with 0 RHD. Looks like they would make pretty sweet Dragonfire Adepts! :)

A 373

If it doesn't say it advances Bardic Music, then it doesn't. Some say they advance all of it, some just Inspire Courage, some have their own music, and some don't advance anything. You get exactly what the text says, nothing more, nothing less. In this case, it says you gain extra uses. It doesn't say it "these level stack with your bard levels to determine X, Y, or Z". Thus, it doesn't.

Tytalus
2010-09-23, 07:09 AM
Q 374

Can a character casting Produce Flame (standard action) attack with the magical flame in the same round? Can the magical flame be used to make iterative attacks?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-23, 07:19 AM
A 374

You can attack with Produce Flame in the casting round only if you make a touch attack, using the bonus attack provided by casting a touch attack spell; this excludes the option to hurl the flames. After the casting round you can use the flames any time you would be allowed an attack, which means multiple attacks are possible if your BAB is +6 or greater.

Tytalus
2010-09-23, 07:29 AM
A 374

You can attack with Produce Flame in the casting round only if you make a touch attack, using the bonus attack provided by casting a touch attack spell; this excludes the option to hurl the flames. After the casting round you can use the flames any time you would be allowed an attack, which means multiple attacks are possible if your BAB is +6 or greater.

This is pretty much how I read it as well. Where do you get the RAW for the differentiation of the melee and ranged attack, though? They are both treated as touch attacks, so despite the "as a thrown weapon", it seems like a ranged touch attack should be possible in the round of the casting as well.

WinWin
2010-09-23, 07:40 AM
A374

You can make a melee or ranged touch attack on the round you cast the spell. The following round you may continue to attack, making iterative attacks providing BA is high enough and sufficient duration remains on the spell.

Tytalus
2010-09-23, 08:07 AM
Q 375

If you successfully cast a touch attack spell (or use a spell-like ability) while in a grapple, do you take the -4 on the attack roll for "attacking your opponent while in a grapple"? The rules only list attacks with an unarmed strike, a natural weapon, or a light weapon.

Douglas
2010-09-23, 08:17 AM
A375

Yes. Touch attack spells are generally considered to fall under the "light weapon" category.

Tytalus
2010-09-23, 09:16 AM
Q 376

Does the spell area of a spell modified with the Sculpt Spell metamagic feat (Complete Arcane, p. 83) have to be continuous when the "four 10 foot cubes" option is chosen?

The RAW of the feat doesn't spell out such a restriction and other spells with non-continuous areas of effect apparently exist (e.g., Dolorous Motes [BoED], Caltrops [SC], perhaps Stonehold [SC] and technically spells with an area of "creatures within ...", such as Weighed in the Balance [SC]), so I'm inclined to say that the cubes merely have to be within the spells range. If that isn't correct, I'd be very much interested in a RAW quote that clarifies the situation.

cd4
2010-09-23, 11:28 AM
Q388

Are there any arcane spellcasters that use wisdom as their spellcasting stat?

This question was not answered so I am reposting it.

And I when doing this I noticed the numbering problem and spotted that the questions went from 399 to 340 so the question above me should be 436

OMG PONIES
2010-09-23, 12:21 PM
A388/437: No, there are not.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-23, 12:43 PM
This is pretty much how I read it as well. Where do you get the RAW for the differentiation of the melee and ranged attack, though? They are both treated as touch attacks, so despite the "as a thrown weapon", it seems like a ranged touch attack should be possible in the round of the casting as well.

Touch Spells in Combat

Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.
Produce Flame
Casting Time: 1 standard action

You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing fire damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Alternatively, you can hurl the flames up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon. The use of Produce Flame "as a thrown weapon" requires an attack. After casting the spell you have no actions left that would allow such an attack in that round, and the spell itself makes no special provisions to grant an attack in the casting round; it just uses the normal D&D attack system.
A374

You can make a melee or ranged touch attack on the round you cast the spell.
That bolded part is incorrect. Produce Flame requires a standard action to cast. Using the spell effect "as a thrown weapon" requires an attack roll. The special allowance to attack with a touch spell in the casting round is limited to spells with a range of touch, i.e. a melee touch attack only. While the words used are similar, a ranged touch attack and a spell with a range of touch are different, incompatible things in D&D. You must physically (try to) touch the target to get the bonus attack in the casting round.

StreetPizza
2010-09-23, 07:42 PM
Q 438

Can I, through simultaneous use of the Knock-down and Knockback feats, trip and bull rush an enemy in the same turn?

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 08:21 PM
A 438

Yes. You can use both at once. Knockback triggers when you hit after PAing for 1 or more. Knockdown triggers when you deal more than 10 damage with that hit. Neither disqualifies the other.

StreetPizza
2010-09-23, 10:09 PM
Q 439

If I use an attack to attack an enemy and the attack deals enough damage to qualify for a free trip attempt from Knock-down and the trip attempt succeeds, do I get another attack, as per the rules of Improved Trip, resulting in two attacks for the price of one, or in Billy Mays' words, throwing in another attack, a $20 value, absolutely free?

Q 439.5

Is the free attack from Improved Trip resolved before or after the target is considered prone?

Q 440

When I use multiple damage multiplying modifications simultaneously (mounted lance and spirited charge, for example, both of which deal double damage), is the result "double doubled", resulting in quadruple damage, or triple damage, as is the case with critical multipliers?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-23, 10:59 PM
A 439 Yes.

If you satisfy the conditions of Improved Trip you get an extra melee attack at the same BAB.

A 439 After.

You only get the follow-on attack when the trip succeeds. The phrase "as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt" just means at the same BAB, to indicate that you're not using up iterative attacks if you happen to be using the full attack action.

A 440

When dealing with D&D damage you always use D&D multiplication rules; a double double is a triple. You use normal multiplication only when dealing with real world values such as weight or distance.

Kumori
2010-09-24, 06:05 AM
Q 441 Does the "Enervate Spell" metamagic feat (Libris Mortis) work with spells that deal ability damage, or just HP damage? Yes or no will suffice, no explanation needed.

drakir_nosslin
2010-09-24, 09:20 AM
Q442 Are Soulmelds (MoI) supernatural or spell-like abilities, and if yes, where in MoI can I find that?

Duke of URL
2010-09-24, 11:16 AM
Q 443

Regarding fabricate...

You convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material. Creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the fabricate spell. The quality of items made by this spell is commensurate with the quality of material used as the basis for the new fabrication. If you work with a mineral, the target is reduced to 1 cubic foot per level instead of 10 cubic feet.

You must make an appropriate Craft check to fabricate articles requiring a high degree of craftsmanship.

Okay, so let's say I want to make a chunk of metal into one or more pieces of armor. I use fabricate, and bypass the time of the crafting process as long as I can also pass the associated Craft check (or checks, if making it masterwork).

But how much can be made from 1 cubic foot of material? And does fabricate allow me to make multiple items in the same casting as long as my caster level and amount of available material are sufficient? If so, does each item have a separate Craft check or do they all use the same check result?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-24, 12:11 PM
A 441: Yes, the feat increases ability damage.

A 442: They are not specifically defined as either, but they are treated as spells or spell-like abilities when interacting with other spells.

While meldshaping does not resemble spellcasting, the default rule for the interaction of soulmelds and magic is simple: soulmelds interact with spells and spells interact with soulmelds in the same way that a spell or a normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability (with a limited number of exceptions, as noted below). This is known as soulmeld-magic transparency.

The exceptions are as follows:

Dispel Magic (and similar effects) treat soulmelds as magic items.
Detect Magic (and similar effects) detects soulmelds, but they have no school.

A 443: You can only create one item per casting of fabricate.

You convert material of one sort into a product that is of the same material...Material Component: The original material, which costs the same amount as the raw materials required to craft the item to be created.

The above emphasis is mine. The spell description uses the plural form of words when speaking generally, because you can use multiple castings of the spell to fabricate multiple items. At that point, our question leaves the realm of RAW and delves into real world physics, since the number of suits you can make is based on the density of the material in question (http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_metals.htm).

WarKitty
2010-09-24, 01:01 PM
Q444
Are there any templates that increase the size of an animal without changing its type, other than "dire"?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-24, 01:03 PM
A 441

Enervate Spell has no restrictions on what type of damage the original spell deals. Do note there is room for DM interpretation:

"An enervated spell deals an extra 50% damage" isn't the same as multiplying the damage by 1.5, and no type is explicitly given for that extra damage.
"Your spells are infused with negative energy." That's in the Benefit section of the feat, so it's not just "fluff" text. All negative energy damage in D&D is hit point damage.
While you can add Enervate Spell metamagic to a spell which does ability damage, you'll need to talk to your DM about whether or not that extra damage is negative energy damage.

Re: A 443

Fabricate can only rearrange one sort of material. Armor is made up of many different materials, and you generally can't make the metal parts except to fit the underlying leather and cloth padding layer.
Full Plate

The suit includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of padding that is worn underneath the armor. Each suit of full plate must be individually fitted to its owner by a master armorsmith, although a captured suit can be resized to fit a new owner at a cost of 200 to 800 (2d4×100) gold pieces.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-24, 03:14 PM
Q445: Is Coffee, coffee beans, or anything remotely like the effects of Coffee statted up anywhere in D&D 3.5e or D&D 3.0e? What names do the (one? many?) drinks that have these effects have in the major campaign settings (Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Eberron)?

Snake-Aes
2010-09-24, 03:29 PM
Q446
When a Suel Arcanamach takes levels in Abjurant Champion, how do the extended spells synergize? Both have class features that double the duration of their spells. If both qualify at the same time, will the spell be doubled? tripled? quadrupled?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-24, 04:02 PM
A 446: Doubled. Both effects contain the crucial clauses "...as if you had applied the Extend Spell feat to them..." (Abjurant Champion) and "...as if affected by the Extend Spell feat..." (Suel Arcanamach). Essentially, you're applying the same feat twice, so it does not stack at all.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-24, 04:09 PM
A 445 No.

Coffee containing caffeine is an extremely mild drug, and has no noticeable effect in D&D terms. (Plus the effects vary quite a bit by individual. On a personal note, I find a large mug of coffee a soothing bedtime beverage.) Actual D&D drugs appeared in 3.0 in the Forgotten Realms book Lords of Darkness, and some of those were updated in Book of Vile Darkness.

A D&D stimulant drug (more along the lines of amphetamine than caffeine) is Kammarth, which magically boosts speed and reaction time; see Lords of Darkness on page 183.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-09-24, 06:22 PM
Q447: Can Minor Creation be used for alchemical items like generic acid or antitoxin if it doesn't specify if they are plant-based?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-24, 06:41 PM
A 447 No.

Only materials explicitly made of vegetable matter can be made with Minor Creation. You could not create a generic acid, but if you could find D&D statistics for low-pH plant sap that would be a different matter.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-09-24, 09:02 PM
A 447 No.

Only materials explicitly made of vegetable matter can be made with Minor Creation. You could not create a generic acid, but if you could find D&D statistics for low-pH plant sap that would be a different matter.

(448) Since major creation is a no-go is true creation required for most (cheap) alchemical substances? It seems like overkill to me...

StreetPizza
2010-09-24, 10:02 PM
Q 449

If I make a charging leaping pounce full attack using a character that has feats to boost damage from this type of attack, will that bonus damage apply to every attack in the full attack? What if one of those attacks is a Sunder attempt? What if the original target is downed, the character has Cleave, and there is a nearby target--will the bonus damage apply to the Cleave attempt as well?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-25, 12:41 AM
A 448

That would be the most straightforward way to magically create such substances, AFAIK. The obvious alternative is to skip the magic, find an NPC alchemist, and simply buy what you need.

A 449

This is a DM's call. Leap Attack was written with the assumption that it would apply to the single attack allowed at the end of a charge. While its mechanical benefit is simply to adjust the Power Attack return (and Power Attack, once set, persists until your next turn), the triggering condition for that adjustment is a Jump. And while pounce grants a full attack at the end of a charge, only the first swing of that attack is at the end of the Jump required by Leap Attack. Your DM could decide this either way and be within the scope of the RAW.

The answer for any special attack that can be used as part of a full attack will depend on the DM's handling of pounce + Leap Attack.

ffone
2010-09-25, 02:34 AM
Q 450

Is the extra damage from the Craven feat considered 'precision' damage? Specifically, is it multiplied on a critical hit, and are creatures immune to critical hits immune to this extra damage?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-25, 02:49 AM
A 450

Craven is extra sneak attack damage, so creatures immune to sneak attack do not receive Craven damage. However, the damage from Craven is multiplied on a critical hit that's also a sneak attack.
A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit. The Craven bonus is not determined by dice.

GeminiVeil
2010-09-25, 01:10 PM
Q451
I saw elsewhere on these forums a thread about saving throws while sleeping. I was curious, what about Spell Resitance? Is it still active when a creature is asleep?

Dralnu
2010-09-25, 03:14 PM
Q452:

A player wants to be a Quasit (MM p46) in my compaign. A quasit has 3HD and a CR of 2 but no given level adjustment. What would the quasit's ECL be?

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-25, 03:34 PM
A 452

A listed LA of "-" means that the designers decided the creature is unsuitable as a PC race. Of course you can do whatever you want as DM and assign it a LA you feel is appropriate, but that is a houserule and therefore outside the scope of this thread. You might want to make a new thread for this question to get people's opinions.

This of course assumes that Quasits have not been given a level adjustment somewhere.

Cog
2010-09-25, 03:38 PM
A 452: Savage Species gives Quasits an LA of +5, but that's under their 3.0 stats.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-25, 04:39 PM
A 451

Unless an ability states that it requires concentration, it continues while a character is sleeping. Spell Resistance must be voluntarily lowered, so either that happens before the character goes to sleep, or the ability persists.

WinWin
2010-09-25, 05:05 PM
A444 Titanic. MM2. Increases size to gargantuan.

crazedloon
2010-09-25, 05:19 PM
Q 453

If you have class features or abilities which trigger when you enter or are in a rage do these abilities trigger or work when you have the rage spell cast on you? For example would a barbarian gain a higher bonus for having the spell cast on him if he has a higher progression of rage?

WinWin
2010-09-25, 05:29 PM
A453 No. You would be subject to the limitations of the standard Barbarian Rage while under the effect of the Rage spell, but not gain any additional benefit because of your character rage class ablities.

There is nothing preventing the use of the Rage class feature while under the effect of the Rage spell though.

Arkhaios
2010-09-25, 06:26 PM
Q 454

By RAW, May a Ray Spell Be Cast Upon Oneself [as with Touch Spells]?

Edit: Thanks Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon
2010-09-25, 09:54 PM
A 454

It looks like a strict reading of the RAW requires another creature to be the target for a ray rather than yourself. You can't draw a line between your space and the target's; you'd draw a point instead. (And it's not like you've got unobstructed line of sight, either; just try looking your "target" in the eye. :smallamused:)

You aim a ray as if using a ranged weapon
Ranged Attacks

With a ranged weapon, you can shoot or throw at any target that is within the weapon’s maximum range and in line of sight.
line of sight

Two creatures can see each other if they have line of sight to each other. To determine line of sight, draw an imaginary line between your space and the target's space. If any such line is clear (not blocked), then you have line of sight to the creature (and it has line of sight to you). The line is clear if it doesn't intersect or even touch squares that block line of sight. If you can't see the target (for instance, if you're blind or the target is invisible), you can't have line of sight to it even if you could draw an unblocked line between your space and the target's.

fantomx11
2010-09-26, 12:01 AM
Q455:Is it possible to cast greater invisibility in combat?

A little background. We were playing tonight and I tried to cast that after combat had already started. The DM, who is still learning the nuances of the 3.5 ed rules since the group has mostly played 1st ed, was trying to decide if the illusion would work or not since the monster already knew I was there. In the end she let me do it, but her and I both want things to be fair so I'm asking here to either reaffirm her decision or not make the mistake again.

Edited to fix the q number. Sorry about that, I misunderstood how the numbering system worked. I thought it was by poster.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-26, 12:21 AM
fantomx1, your question is 455, I believe, not 1.

And... A455:

Yes you could cast it. It would give you full concealment, and it would have to target your square to hit you... however, it DOES greatly increase your hide check. You could easily cast greater invisibility as a standard action, MOVE with a move silently check, and then hide, and it would likely have no idea where you are, with all the bonuses.

Schylerwalker
2010-09-26, 01:22 AM
Q445; discussion

Also, remember that a simple DC 20 Spot check allows you to determine what square an invisible creature is in, as long as they're moving around and within 30 feet.

ffone
2010-09-26, 02:38 AM
Questions about the Engulf ability of Living Spells (gelatinous cube has an almost identically worded one http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ooze.htm)

Q456

Can the ooze try to engulf multiple creatures with one Engulf action, even if it can't do so simultaneously (i.e. move over one PC's space, then keep going, get to another PC)?

Q457

If so, can the first PC, if he succeeded on the Reflex save to avoid being engulfed, make an AoO agaisnt the ooze as it moves to the next PC afterwards?

Q458

If an ooze successfully Engulfs a PC, can it keep moving with the PC inside it? Or is the ooze considered 'grappled'?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-26, 03:40 AM
A 456 Yes.

The ooze can try to Engulf as many creatures as it can cover with its movement; those creatures are considered to be grappled ─ but apparently the ooze is not. Normally moving an opponent while you are grappling them requires a grapple check (a standard action), but the Engulf standard action attack appears to work over all the creatures the living spell can cover in its movement.

A 457 No.

You have to choose between making a Reflex save or making an attack of opportunity.

A 458

As explained above in A 456, the ooze can Engulf as many opponents as it can cover in its movement. A consequence of that is that the ooze isn't considered grappled itself, since that would preclude such movement.

ffone
2010-09-26, 03:52 AM
Thanks!

Q459

If a character uses Power Attack and Leap Attack (C. Adv) with a two handed weapon, by how much does the damage increase for each point of attack penalty? What about on a crit (assuming x2 multiplier weapon)?

ffone
2010-09-26, 04:02 AM
Q460

Can oozes be tripped?

ffone
2010-09-26, 04:09 AM
Q461

How does Blink and grappling work? Does being under the effect of Blink give a character any extra ways/chances to escape grappling?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-26, 06:08 AM
A 460 No.

Tripping requires the target to be inconvenienced by changing their position to prone, shifting their center of gravity lower to the ground. You can't alter the position of something that's got no discernible anatomy and is always hugging the ground anyway.

A 461

Once a character in a grapple shifts to the Ethereal Plane they're no longer in contact with their grappler(s). When they come back to the Material Plane it would take a successful attack to start a new grapple.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-26, 06:16 AM
A 459

Power Attack provides +2 points of damage for each -1 attack penalty point with a two-handed weapon. Leap Attack adds +100% of Power Attack damage with a successful Jump at the end of a charge, so that's another +2 points of Power Attack damage for each -1 attack penalty point with a two-handed weapon. On a x2 critical hit with the above you would add 2x weapon damage, 2x STR bonus, and a total of 8x each Power Attack point.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-26, 09:30 AM
Q445; discussion

Also, remember that a simple DC 20 Spot check allows you to determine what square an invisible creature is in, as long as they're moving around and within 30 feet.

A 445 Correction

The DC 20 spot check only alerts you to the presence of the invisible creature. It is much more difficult (DC 40) to pinpoint the creature's square.

Douglas
2010-09-26, 09:48 AM
A 445 Correction

The DC 20 spot check only alerts you to the presence of the invisible creature. It is much more difficult (DC 40) to pinpoint the creature's square.
And that's if you aren't trying to hide. If you make a hide check, the DC to notice you is your check + 20, and the DC to pinpoint (which still doesn't negate the total concealment or let the monster keep dex bonus to AC) is your check + 40. Either way it's high enough that, for the vast majority of monsters, either the monster has a way to completely ignore invisibility or it has no idea where you are until you do something to give it away, such as attacking in melee or casting a spell with a verbal component, and if you move after doing that it will again have no idea where you are.

Private-Prinny
2010-09-26, 02:16 PM
A 451

Power Attack provides +2 points of damage for each -1 attack penalty point with a two-handed weapon. Leap Attack adds +100% of Power Attack damage with a successful Jump at the end of a charge, so that's another +2 points of Power Attack damage for each -1 attack penalty point with a two-handed weapon. On a x2 critical hit with the above you would add 2x weapon damage, 2x STR bonus, and a total of 8x each Power Attack point.

A459 Correction

From Complete Adventurer:

Leap Attack

Benefit: You can combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you can double the extra damage dealt by your use of the Power Attack feat. If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack.

Emphasis mine. For that example, a x2 crit would deal x2 weapon damage, x2 Str bonus, and x6 Power Attack bonus.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-26, 02:39 PM
A459 Correction This "correction" is wrong (except for pointing out that I had the wrong last digit there). Your error is that you failed to read the Complete Adventurer Errata.

soulsabre345
2010-09-26, 04:14 PM
Q462

What does a weapon made of kaorti resin look like? (specifically a great scimitar). and what would a great scimitar made out of kaorti resin cost? 1250g?

Details of creating resin items here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a

Ilmryn
2010-09-26, 08:01 PM
Q463
In gestalt, what happens if you use PrCs to get double casting progression? By this I mean something like: Wizard14//whaterver7/Iot7V(advancing wizard casting) 7. Would you gain caster levels twice as fast, or what would happen?

WarKitty
2010-09-26, 08:03 PM
Q464

Does the chance for identify to work on a cursed item still apply if the item is known to be cursed? Our party has access to a dagger that we *know* is cursed, but not what the nature of the curse is.

Fixed the number. Stop posting the same time I do, people!

powerdemon
2010-09-26, 09:02 PM
Q463
In gestalt, what happens if you use PrCs to get double casting progression? By this I mean something like: Wizard14//whaterver7/Iot7V(advancing wizard casting) 7. Would you gain caster levels twice as fast, or what would happen?

A 463
No. You would take the better of the two. Since they are the same, you would only get one level of progression.

(Off topic: any DM that allowed that I would have Cat Scanned! )

Curmudgeon
2010-09-26, 09:08 PM
A 464
An identify spell only has a 1% chance per caster level to reveal a cursed item’s true properties, including the cursed aspect. Identify does not change its behavior. However, if you suspect that an item is cursed, you may disregard the results of what Identify tells you if it does not inform you of the cursed aspect. (This means that if you were wrong you'll probably disregard useful information.)

Curmudgeon
2010-09-26, 09:21 PM
A 462

The appearance of Kaorti material is depicted in Fiend Folio on page 109. Strengthening a Kaorti weapon with additional material costs the maker XP = 50% of the market price for a masterwork item of that type. A masterwork great scimitar would cost 200 gp (the Sandstorm base price given on page 96) + 300 gp (masterwork cost) = 500 gp. 50% of that is 250 XP, which has a value of 1250 gp. Add that to the MW item cost to get the total of 1750 gp for a Kaorti resin great scimitar strengthened for permanent use.

Divinech
2010-09-27, 08:57 AM
Q 465
Is it possible to use Sleight of Hand in order to steal an item from an enemy while in the midst of a fight?

Example: A rogue and a cleric are in melee battle with another.
1) Can the rogue try to steal a weapon on the clerics belt with Sleight of Hand?
2) Can the rogue steal a potion in the open potion belt of the cleric?
3) Can the rogue steal the divine focus of the cleric?

The rules only say "If you try to take something from another creature, you must make a DC 20 Sleight of Hand check to obtain it." Nothing about attended or worn. So I'm a little confused if it's actually possible to do so.

Edit: Ah, thank you, Duke of URL. I haven't noticed the "Grabbing Items" in the Disarm section.

Duke of URL
2010-09-27, 09:12 AM
A 465

No. Grabbing items from an opponent engaged in combat requires a successful disarm check (see the disarm rules).

IdleMuse
2010-09-27, 09:42 AM
Q466: Is there a metamagic feat or class ability somewhere that lets you cast a targeted spell as an area effect? Specifically an area (irrelevant of shape or size), but not, for instance, Chain Spell. Something like Daze or Feather Fall.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-27, 12:40 PM
A 465 [correction] Yes.

The rules do not prevent you from using Sleight of Hand in combat; they merely make it more difficult. Any Sleight of Hand check normally is a standard action, and using a skill that takes a standard action usually provokes an attack of opportunity (AoO). You can apply Concentration to use another skill defensively so as to avoid AoOs altogether, or you can attempt a Concentration check (DC = 10 + damage dealt by the AoO) to continue the Sleight of Hand maneuver. All Sleight of Hand use is subject to an armor check penalty (ACP). Your DM would likely also both impose the -2 circumstance penalty to represent conditions that hamper performance, and increase the DC by 2 to represent circumstances that make the task harder; i.e., things are tougher in combat.

1) The Sleight of Hand DC to lift a sheathed weapon from another creature is 50 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#sleightOfHand).

2) The Rogue could attempt to steal a potion in the open potion belt of a Cleric, but would first need to Spot that potion. The DC to Spot such a Fine item in plain sight is 20. Adjust the Spot check by -5 for "spotter distracted" (by combat) and -1 for each 10' of distance when the Rogue first had line of sight to the potion belt. If the Rogue failed that initial Spot check it would not be possible for them to see the potion without trying to Spot something they failed to see previously as a new check requiring a move action (or a free action with the Quick Reconnoiter feat). After that Spot hurdle is passed, the DC for Sleight of Hand is the usual base of 20, but again the unfavorable conditions of combat will change that as noted above.

3) The answer here is largely the same as in 2) above; most holy symbols are also of Fine size. Your DM may impose further circumstance penalties if the divine focus is secured (on a chain around the neck, for instance). If the divine focus is actually in hand (after casting a spell that requires manipulating it) then Sleight of Hand would not be applicable.

Balor01
2010-09-27, 12:56 PM
Q467
Could someone explain to me the meaning of a part of a this http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/direWinter.htm spell? Namely, the part of text where it says:
Seed: energy (emanate 2d6 cold in 10-ft. radius) (DC 19). Factor: 100 times increase in base area (+400 DC). Mitigating factor: burn 10,000 XP (-100 DC).

So, a thousand feet away from the target, it takes DC 19 to not be dealt 2d6 cold dmg, and in immediate proximity, it takes DC 400+ to not take 200d6 cold dmg? If you burn 10.000 XP, DC is reduced by 100?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-27, 01:00 PM
Q468:

Can Death Devotion (Complete Champion, page 57) be applied to a natural attack?

UserShadow7989
2010-09-27, 01:10 PM
Q469:When leveling up, what, precisely, changes? (Stats and Feats gained in particular are what I can't seem to find.)

My only resource for D&D is the d20srd.org page, which leaves out both pieces of information. Since every group I've watched play seems to have their own variation, this leaves me quite lost. A real obstacle for my more out there homebrew ideas.

Duke of URL
2010-09-27, 03:28 PM
A 469

Really can't help you here. Character creation and advancement is non-open material, which we can't disseminate on this forum.

Partysan
2010-09-27, 03:35 PM
Q470:

Does a Ranger using Sword of the Arcane Order qualify for PrCs requiring arcane spells, such as Arcane Archer?
Is this affected by Mystic Ranger?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-27, 03:53 PM
A470: Yes. The feat allows you to prepare wizard spells. In the Player's Handbook glossary, spell slots are not separated into arcane and divine--spells are. Further, it stipulates that "...wizards...cast arcane spells." Since you're casting wizard spells, you're casting arcane spells.

As for Mystic Ranger, I don't have access to that issue of Dragon.

WarKitty
2010-09-27, 04:46 PM
Q471
Is there a feat that lets you move both before an after your action?

Q472
What book are the totem barbarians in?

Private-Prinny
2010-09-27, 05:03 PM
A472

Totem Barbarians are on Pages 48-49 of Unearthed Arcana.
Spirit Totem Barbarians are on Page 46 of Complete Champion.
If you're open to homebrew, there is also quite a list of them here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157302)

Keld Denar
2010-09-27, 05:38 PM
A 471

Fly-by attack allows you to take a move on either side of a standard action. Requires a fly speed to use, but a temporary source (such as casting Fly) counts.

Moble Spellcasting (CMage) allows you to move up to your speed as part of the action to cast a spell. Thus, you could cast + move, releasing the spell at the end of the move, then use your move action to move somewhere else. Requires you to make a Concentration check, but those aren't too hard to focus on.

WarKitty
2010-09-27, 05:42 PM
A 471

Fly-by attack allows you to take a move on either side of a standard action. Requires a fly speed to use, but a temporary source (such as casting Fly) counts.

Moble Spellcasting (CMage) allows you to move up to your speed as part of the action to cast a spell. Thus, you could cast + move, releasing the spell at the end of the move, then use your move action to move somewhere else. Requires you to make a Concentration check, but those aren't too hard to focus on.

Hmmm not useful for a warrior. Think I'll make a new thread.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-27, 05:47 PM
A471: Spring Attack, from the Player's Handbook.

crazedloon
2010-09-27, 06:02 PM
Q 473

Are you flatfooted until combat starts and your turn rolls around? Or do you become flatfooted when combat starts? So for example can a swordsage not use immediate maneuvers to augment their saves against a trap?

Coidzor
2010-09-27, 06:27 PM
A:470, No, Mystic Ranger only serves to give a different(faster) caster progression from standard Ranger, allowing the casting of orisons/cantrips and 5th level spells in such a case.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-27, 06:38 PM
Q467
Could someone explain to me the meaning of a part of a this http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/direWinter.htm spell? Namely, the part of text where it says:
Seed: energy (emanate 2d6 cold in 10-ft. radius) (DC 19). Factor: 100 times increase in base area (+400 DC). Mitigating factor: burn 10,000 XP (-100 DC).

So, a thousand feet away from the target, it takes DC 19 to not be dealt 2d6 cold dmg, and in immediate proximity, it takes DC 400+ to not take 200d6 cold dmg? If you burn 10.000 XP, DC is reduced by 100?

A 467

That is not referring to the Saving Throw DC to avoid or reduce damage. It is the Spellcraft DC to cast the spell. The Energy seed sets the base DC at 19, increased by 400 for the extra area, and decreased by 100 for burning 10k experience, for a final DC of 319. Remember, this is for Epic level play. Without further mitigation of the Spellcraft DC, you'd have to be an extremely high level spellcaster to cast this spell.

From your own link, you can see that the spell offers no saving throw to its targets, but if it did it would be 20 plus the relevant ability modifier.

EDIT: Also, the spell deals a flat 2d6 cold damage a round to every target in the area (so Save, no SR), but the area is quite large and it lasts for 20 hours.

Koury
2010-09-27, 07:11 PM
Q474

I am a level 1 Wizard and cast a spell on myself which lasts 1 minute in the first round of combat.

On my turn in round ten, am I still being affected, or did it expire just before my turn came up?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-27, 11:54 PM
A 468 Yes.

The distinction is between melee and ranged weapons, and very few natural attacks are ranged. So a natural attack used in melee qualifies for Death Devotion.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-27, 11:59 PM
A 473
Characters are flat-footed until their first turns in the initiative cycle. If you never roll for initiative you remain flat-footed, so you're always flat-footed for traps unless you encounter them while already in combat.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-28, 12:01 AM
A 474

Spells last for the stated number of rounds and end just before your turn. So a spell cast in round 1, for 10 rounds, would expire just before your turn in round 1 + 10 = 11. In round 10 the spell is still active.

Peregrine
2010-09-28, 12:32 AM
A 469 additional

As Duke of URL says, the SRD doesn't include most information on levelling up -- Wizards of the Coast intentionally left it out. However, we can reconstruct some of it.

In particular, the Epic section of the SRD includes rules for levelling up (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics) at epic levels, and since it calls out which parts are different to non-epic levelling up, we can infer that non-epic characters also increase gain a feat every three levels, and increase an ability score by 1 point every four levels.

This method of calculating feats is borne out by looking at the monster entries. All creatures have one non-bonus feat, plus one per 3 Hit Dice. This (and the mention of an "extra" feat at 1st level for humans) tells us that creatures get a feat at 1st level, then at 3rd level, 6th level, etc.

As for confirming that the epic "every fourth level" ability score advancement applies at non-epic levels? Tricky. The monster advancement rules tell us that ability scores do increase, but not how; ability score increases from racial Hit Dice would seem to already be factored in to their stats. But the variant rules come to the rescue! The Bloodlines variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines) is Open Game Content from WotC that confirms that characters get a +1 ability increase every four levels.

Anything else? :smallsmile:

ffone
2010-09-28, 02:44 AM
Q475

If I advance a monster's racial HD (and-or add class levels to one with racial HD), does it gain ability score improvements every four levels? If so, is it every four levels starting from where it was currently at, or is it the 'multiples of 4'? For example, would a 5 HD creature gain an ability score increase at L8, L9, or not at all?

Peregrine
2010-09-28, 03:23 AM
A 475

Yes, it does, and at multiples of four Hit Dice (including class levels). Your example creature would get an increase at 8 HD.

ffone
2010-09-28, 03:55 AM
Q476

Can the 'spell storing' weapon property be added to a set of 50 arrows or other projectiles (assuming they're already +1)? If so, could a separate spell be stored in each of the 50 arrows (assuming, for example, I can cast 50 copies of the spell ,such as from a fully charged wand)?

Coidzor
2010-09-28, 04:17 AM
A476

Yes, each arrow has the weapon property added to it separately and each arrow then counts as a separate +1 spell storing arrow, meaning each arrow can hold and then discharge a spell independently of one another. One may add the weapon property to any number of eligible arrows, not just 50 at a time, the price given is just that for a bundle of 50.
A single +1 spellstoring arrow would then cost (1gp/20= .05 gp = .5 sp = 5 cp single arrow price)+(+6 gp MW cost) + (2000hp/50 = 40 gp = +1 bonus cost) + (8000gp/50 = 160 gp = +1 bonus equivalent spell storing property cost bringing the weapon up to +2 bonus equivalent) or 206.05 gp Compared to 10,302.5 gp for 50 +1 spellstoring arrows. Which is less than the cost of a 3rd level wizard wand with 50 charges(11,250 gp).

Edit: Addendum:
Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires.

No other provision for casting the spell out of the weapon is provided, requiring DM adjudication to allow more ability to use the spell outside of an attack context or broaden what the spell can be cast upon beyond attackable objects and creatures (and squares?) within reach of the wielder.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-28, 04:27 AM
A 476 additional info

While you can add spell storing to a batch of arrows, you will need to check with your DM as to whether that will do any good. Firstly, spell storing only works on weapons that are wielded.
Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires. An arrow loosed from a bow string immediately ceases to be wielded. However, that's not the only possible use.
An arrow used as a melee weapon is treated as a light improvised weapon (-4 penalty on attack rolls) and deals damage as a dagger of its size (critical multiplier ×2). Arrows come in a leather quiver that holds 20 arrows. An arrow that hits its target is destroyed; one that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost. You can wield an arrow as an improvised melee weapon, and it would be destroyed on impact with the target. It's up to your DM whether you would have time to decide at the moment of impact whether to cast the spell.

Peregrine
2010-09-28, 06:21 AM
A 476 dissenting

Given the amount of interpretation and DM permission needed by the above two answers to the matter of spell storing; and, more importantly, given that spell storing is not a property that may be randomly generated for ranged weapons (ammo or otherwise); I would contend that by RAW, spell storing is a melee-only property. Even though this is not explicitly stated, it is completely in accord with the rules, and with even the strictest interpretation of the verb "to wield", and it requires no "check with your DM clauses".

Mordrigar
2010-09-28, 06:25 AM
Q:477
Is there a way to create undead servants that have their own minds, class levels and abilities etc. with a spell or something? I'm looking for things like Vampire's "Create Spawn (SU)" ability.

From SRD:

If the vampire instead drains the victim’s Constitution to 0 or lower, the victim returns as a spawn if it had 4 or less HD and as a vampire if it had 5 or more HD. In either case, the new vampire or spawn is under the command of the vampire that created it and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction. At any given time a vampire may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice; any spawn it creates that would exceed this limit are created as free-willed vampires or vampire spawn. A vampire that is enslaved may create and enslave spawn of its own, so a master vampire can control a number of lesser vampires in this fashion. A vampire may voluntarily free an enslaved spawn in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a vampire or vampire spawn cannot be enslaved again.

Coidzor
2010-09-28, 06:46 AM
A477: The topic is broad enough to warrant its own thread as there are many ways to achieve your stated goal.

Off the top of my head...There's Animate Dread Warrior from Unapproachable East, Create Undead + Mummy Lords, the feat Undead Leadership, the grave-touched ghoul template, and making someone into a necropolitan and using Rebuking to establish control over them

Noodles2375
2010-09-28, 11:37 AM
Q 478

I have a medusa BBEG who would like to take advantage of the stone statues scattered around their lair through the use of stone shape:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneshape.htm

As written, there is no save or SR allowed, but if I use the spell to shape a statue into a box to entrap a character, would they be allowed a save to avoid?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-28, 11:44 AM
A 478: No.

cd4
2010-09-28, 11:48 AM

Is rounds/level on spell duration based on your caster level or your total level when casting spells?

If I had a weapon that was a +1 (+9 bonuses like keen) what would happen if I then cast Greater Magic Weapon on this weapon?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-28, 11:53 AM
A479: Caster level.

A480: The +1 bonus is replaced by the spell, though the other special properties (keen, etc.) stay in effect.

cd4
2010-09-28, 01:07 PM
480 Clarification required

I misread the spell and thought that it added to the enhancement bonus so that the question was meant to be Could I use Greater Magic Weapon to get a +2 or up to +5 (+9 bonuses) weapon if I had the level to get the augment part of the spell.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-28, 01:14 PM
A 480: Yes, that's exactly what it would do, presuming your caster level is high enough. Say you are at CL 20, and you cast the spell. It lasts for 20 hours, turning your +1 Keen Etc...Weapon into a +5 Keen Etc...Weapon. It provides a bonus to attacks and damage that overlaps with the existing +1 bonus.

Zherog
2010-09-28, 01:17 PM
A 480 Clarification

If you were a 20th level caster and cast greater magic weapon on a weapon that was a +1 with +9-worth of special abilities, after the spell is complete you would have a weapon that was +5 with +9-worth of special abilities. It would retain that +5 bonus for 20 hours, after which time it would revert to being a +1 weapon with +9-worth of abilities.

BobVosh
2010-09-28, 01:35 PM
Q481
When using a race with a racial exotic weapon that counts as martial, can you still qualify for Exotic weapon master?

Such as dwarf + dwarven waraxe.

Petrocorus
2010-09-28, 02:39 PM
Q 482

If a sorcerer or a bard multi class as Unseen Seer (Complete Mage), does the advance learning feature actually give him more spells known, or only allow him to improves the spell list out of which he choses his spells known?

Q 483
Is there any magic item that gives Uncanny Dodge?

Thanks.

jgumbyrx
2010-09-28, 03:27 PM
Q481
When using a race with a racial exotic weapon that counts as martial, can you still qualify for Exotic weapon master?

Such as dwarf + dwarven waraxe.
A481
yes. the prereq block of that PrC specifically states that very example (IIRC)

Angelus789
2010-09-28, 04:53 PM
Q 484

If a character is brought back to life with True Resurrection. (Killed by beheading, body is burned but head is still intact). Will the character loose any XP?

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-28, 06:21 PM
A 484

No. The spell lacks any language that indicates the resurrected creature loses experience, so it does not.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-09-28, 07:53 PM
Q 485
Can a Neanderthal (It's Cold Outside) from the right area take the Jotunbrud (Races of Faerun) feat?

Q 486
Haste counters and dispels Slow, and visa versa. Does this mean that if a Slowed creature gets Haste cast on it, the two effects cancel each other out, or does the creature still have all the normal Haste effects applied?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-28, 09:10 PM
A 485 No.

While Neanderthals qualify as humans for effects related to race, a regional feat prerequisite is not an effect. Additionally, Neanderthals and humans with the Jotunbrud regional feat each have stated base height and weight figures that differ from the human norm; Jotunbrud does not provide modifiers such that it could be applied to anything other than the base human race.

A 486

"Counters and dispels" means that the effects cancel each other, leaving no magical residue. You would need two castings of Haste on a creature subject to Slow to end up with a Haste effect.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-28, 09:13 PM
A 483 Yes.

Roaring Armor of Ammarindar (Races of Faerun, page 171) grants uncanny dodge.

ffone
2010-09-28, 10:23 PM
Q487

Is there an Epic progression for Swashbuckler?

Ryuk01
2010-09-28, 10:27 PM
Q488

How many spellbooks are wizards allowed and where does it say it?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-28, 11:13 PM
A 487 No.

Some parts of the Swashbuckler Epic progression can be obtained following the Epic progressions rules (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 206-207):
Any class features that increase or accumulate as part of a repeated pattern (such as a rogue’s sneak attack or the number of times per day a barbarian can rage) also continue to increase or accumulate after 20th level at the same rate. That includes Grace +1 every 9 levels (29, 38, & c.) and Dodge Bonus +1 every 5 levels (25, 30, & c.)

You'll need to take up with each individual DM the remaining issue: whether in their games the Epic Swashbuckler gains a bonus feat every two, three, four, or five levels after 20th.

A 488

There are no limiting rules on this point. A Wizard may buy and use any number of spellbooks.

Peregrine
2010-09-28, 11:32 PM
A 486

"Counters and dispels" means that the effects cancel each other, leaving no magical residue. You would need two castings of Haste on a creature subject to Slow to end up with a Haste effect.

Hmm. I was going to disagree on the finer points of this, but now I'm not so sure, so...

Q 489

When a spell says it "counters and dispels" another, it definitely means that it can be used as a counterspell for the other; that's not in doubt. But what about casting it on a subject already under the other spell? Does it mean: It negates the other spell if you succeed on a dispel check? (That's what the use of the word "dispel" suggests to me.) It automatically negates the other spell? (That's what the magic overview section on "Combining Magical Effects" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells#spellswithOppositeEffects) suggests to me. It talks about spells that "negate or counter each other", even though this isn't the language used in the actual spell descriptions.

BobVosh
2010-09-28, 11:42 PM
A489
A. Dispel checks are only for dispel magic. Countering or dispelling magic with that spell requires a dispel check, unless you are countering a dispel magic.
B. If it is a spell listed as one that dispels/counters a spell it doesn't require a check, it automatically negates it.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-09-29, 12:43 AM
Q 490
Can you use skills gained at a particular level to qualify for feats at that level? For instance, upon reaching level 5, can a character who just got 8 ranks in Jump (and has Power Attack + a feat to spend) select Leap Attack?

A handy reference might be PHB 58/59, unless that passage is just confusing me.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 12:50 AM
A 490 Yes.

As you've seen from the "LEVEL ADVANCEMENT" steps, 6. Skill Points comes before 7. Feats. You've got your skill ranks by the time you select feats. (By similar reasoning, you don't have your skill ranks when you Choose Class in step 1.)

Thurbane
2010-09-29, 02:18 AM
Q 491

How do PrCs interact with delayed casting classes?

Say I have a Ranger 3, who takes a level of a PrC that grants "+1 level of existing spellcasting class". Does he now cast as a Ranger 4 (i.e. 0+WIS modifier 1st level spells)? Or does the increase from PrCs only apply if the character has already hit a level where he can cast in his base class? I assume it's the former, but thought I'd better double check...

TheAmishPirate
2010-09-29, 03:23 AM
Q 492

If I pick an exotic weapon for the Soulbound Weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) class variant, do I get proficiency with that weapon?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 04:07 AM
A 491

Ranger is always a spellcasting class, even at lower levels when it has no caster level. Prestige classes which advance divine spellcasting ("+1 level of existing spellcasting class") do exactly that, in your example progressing from Ranger 3 to Ranger 4.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 04:11 AM
A 492 No.

While the variant grants Weapon Focus with the weapon, it doesn't include language of the form "even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat".
Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. You would get no benefit from (i.e., could not use) Weapon Focus until you meet both its prerequisites:

Proficiency with selected weapon
base attack bonus +1.

Sarquion
2010-09-29, 12:18 PM
Q493

What are/where can I find the rules for strangulating some one else? (both to death and to unconsciousness)
Any ideas are appreciated (if there are no specific rules).

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 12:51 PM
A 493

Song and Silence introduced the garrote on pages 52-52 and rules for strangling someone with a garrote on pages 86-87. Dragon # 355 has a general article on strangulation on pages 84-85 which updates the garrote rules and provides more strangling options.

MasterOfDungeon
2010-09-29, 03:41 PM
Q494

Is there a magic item which lets me ride oozes (specifically gelatinous cubes)?

cd4
2010-09-29, 03:41 PM
Q495

Could I take the final feat requirement for a prestige class on the same level I take the first level of the same prestige class?

Eg I require 3 feats for the prestige class, could I stick them in my level 1, 3 and 6 slots and still take the class at level 6 assuming I meet any other requirements.

Bah, Ninjad

DracoDei
2010-09-29, 03:44 PM
Q496
What book is the 3.5 Warlock in? (I feel ever so slightly stupid, but I am in a bit of a hurry and though this might be the quickest way of getting an answer.)

Coidzor
2010-09-29, 03:48 PM
A 494: Yes.

An amulet of ooze riding allows a rider to ride inside of a gelatinous cube. Arms and Equipment Guide is the only source I am familiar with for it.

[Q:496]What book is the 3.5 Warlock in? (I feel ever so slightly stupid, but I am in a bit of a hurry and though this might be the quickest way of getting an answer.)

A:496

Page 5 of Complete Arcane.

DracoDei
2010-09-29, 03:51 PM
A:496

Page 5 of Complete Arcane.

Thank you very much.

Douglas
2010-09-29, 03:57 PM
Q495

Could I take the final feat requirement for a prestige class on the same level I take the first level of the same prestige class?

Eg I require 3 feats for the prestige class, could I stick them in my level 1, 3 and 6 slots and still take the class at level 6 assuming I meet any other requirements.

Bah, Ninjad
No. The levelup process is listed step by step in the PHB, and "choose class" is step 1. You must satisfy all prerequisites for your chosen class before applying any benefits of the new level.

Koury
2010-09-29, 05:02 PM
Q497

When a spellcaster readies an action to cast a spell, must they specify the spell to be cast? The SRD says only
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it.

Then "Cast a Spell (standard action casting time)" is listed under standard actions.

Is "I cast a spell if X" a valid readied action, where X is the trigger?

Schylerwalker
2010-09-29, 07:33 PM
Q 498

Do you alchemical weapons (Such as alchemist's fire and flasks of acid) deal sneak attack damage? And if so, does it also apply to the splash damage?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-29, 08:49 PM
Funny that we have similar questions, Schylerwalker.
Q499
Can you sneak attack with a spell? How about if it requires an attack roll?

Coidzor
2010-09-29, 08:55 PM
A499: Yes.

You can sneak attack with weapon-like spells. That is, spells that require an attack roll and deal damage. Complete Arcane has the specific details in chapter 4, with page 85 detailing weapon-like spells and page 86 detailing the specifics as apply to Sneak Attack. Spells that do not require an attack roll cannot be carriers for sneak attack. For the purposes of sneak attack, spells that do energy drain count as dealing damage.

Sneak attacks with a weapon-like spell deals extra damage of the type the spell would normally, so a fire spell would deal sneak attack damage as fire damage, except for ability damage and energy drain, those just do negative energy damage.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 09:25 PM
A 498

To be permitted to add sneak attack damage, you must

Make an attack roll.
Deal damage with your primary attack form.
So you could deliver sneak attack damage to the target of your splash weapon, but not to anyone nearby caught in the splash.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 09:30 PM
A 497

This one comes down to DM judgment in interpreting "specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it"; the DM gets to decide just how much specificity is required in their game.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 09:33 PM
A 496 additional info

There are a couple of WotC online lists that can help with questions like this:

(Base) Character Class Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/class)
Prestige Class Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc)

Salbazier
2010-09-29, 09:39 PM
Q 500

Spells with with 1 round duration, does its effect end before or after the next turn of the caster?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-29, 09:59 PM
A 500 before

A spell lasts for the specified number of rounds, ending just before the caster's turn (or just before their original initiative count if their initiative changes). A duration of 1 round ends before the caster's next turn unless their initiative increases in the interim.

Peregrine
2010-09-29, 11:54 PM
A 497 additional

Note than readying an action to counterspell is one case when you specifically don't have to name the spell you will cast. Saying "I'm ready to counterspell whatever they cast" is enough. This may help when adjudicating other cases of the ready action.

ffone
2010-09-30, 02:53 AM
Q501

When using Penetrating Strike (rogue ACF ), does Craven damage apply?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-30, 05:25 AM
A 501 Yes.

Penetrating Strike (the version in Dungeonscape on page 13) is a somewhat terser version of the Lightbringer Penetrating Strike that originally appeared in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft on page 208. (Though, since they have slightly different names and thus don't fall under WotC's update rule, you could actually choose either one.)
Benefit: Whenever you flank a creature that is immune to sneak attack damage, you still gain half of your sneak attack dice as bonus damage. Note that this benefit does not extend to creatures that ignore your sneak attack damage because you cannot flank them. In addition, you still cannot gain sneak attack damage against such foes if they are flat-footed. You must flank a creature that is immune to sneak attack damage in order to use this ability. The Lightbringer Penetrating Strike makes it clear that you're still actually dealing sneak attack damage, whereas the Dungeonscape version is somewhat ambiguous on that issue. As you are still dealing sneak attack damage you add your full Craven bonus. (Only the sneak attack dice are halved.)

WarKitty
2010-09-30, 02:44 PM
Q502 Is there a way to permanently change your creature type that does not come from class features?

OMG PONIES
2010-09-30, 03:03 PM
A502: Yes.

Get hit with a Polymorph any Object with a duration factor of 9 or higher.
Acquire a template, some of which change your type.
There are many other options. Perhaps you could specify exactly what you're trying to accomplish?

WarKitty
2010-09-30, 03:25 PM
A502: Yes.

Get hit with a Polymorph any Object with a duration factor of 9 or higher.
Acquire a template, some of which change your type.
There are many other options. Perhaps you could specify exactly what you're trying to accomplish?

I was hoping to acquire one of the fey or outsider types. Preferably fey. Just don't want to burn 10 levels in a PrC I don't want to get it.

OMG PONIES
2010-09-30, 03:38 PM
A502: There's the Ritual of Association (Savage Species, page 148), but that only extends to racial subtypes or type modifiers, so I'm unclear if fey fits in that category. More simply, there are the half fey (Fiend Folio, page 89) and unseelie fey (Dragon Compendium, page 222) templates.

Cog
2010-09-30, 04:17 PM
Q 503

If you have no monk levels, you gain the AC bonus of a monk whose level equals your Shadow Sun ninja level. In addition, you gain additional uses of the Stunning Fist feat as a monk.
Stunning Fist isn't a prerequisite for Shadow Sun ninja, so a SSN might gain these benefits without having that feat. Do they get the uses anyway?

WarKitty
2010-09-30, 04:17 PM
A502: There's the Ritual of Association (Savage Species, page 148), but that only extends to racial subtypes or type modifiers, so I'm unclear if fey fits in that category. More simply, there are the half fey (Fiend Folio, page 89) and unseelie fey (Dragon Compendium, page 222) templates.

Moved to own thread.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-30, 08:41 PM
A 503 No.

If you have the Stunning Fist feat you gain additional uses. You don't gain uses without the feat to provide an ability which you can add to.

ffone
2010-10-01, 03:26 AM
Q504

One character is Blinking, the other one is ethereal (using the 'ethereal jaunt' spell, or a monster like a phase spider or couatl with a Su version of it).

How do they interact? What are their miss chances when attacking each other, and their ability to see each other? Does either 'strike as an invisible creature' (As Blink says against material opponents) at the other?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-01, 06:34 AM
A 504

A character using Blink and another who is ethereal operate mostly the same as if the latter were on the Material Plane, except the locations of successful and unsuccessful attacks are reversed; while the character who is blinking is on the Material Plane they'll miss their ethereal opponent, and while they're on the Ethereal Plane they'll be able to attack successfully. The difference between mostly and exactly is that an ethereal creature can see and hear into the Material Plane in a 60' radius, so the ethereal creature never loses sight of the character blinking. They miss 20% of the time if they attack rather than 50% because of that visual continuity. The character using Blink has the miss change detailed in the spell: the same 20%.

AmberVael
2010-10-01, 11:37 AM
Q 505

Does the Shades (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shades.htm) spell allow the caster to duplicate any conjuration spell from the appropriate levels and class lists, or is it limited by the clause in Shadow Conjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjuration.htm) which it references, which states:

Shadow conjuration can mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning) or conjuration (creation) spell of 3rd level or lower.

Or would this be a DM's call?

cd4
2010-10-01, 11:43 AM
Q506

If I was a Psychic Warrior 1/Wilder 5 could I use the wild surge to augment a psychic warrior power?

Q507

With the wild surge, if it says something like "For every 3 manifester levels you may spend 4 points to improve the bonus by +1" and I was a Wilder 7, when I use my wild surge to augment this power how many power points do I spend and how many do I gain? Do I just spend the base cost and all the augment is taken by the surge, or does the surge only grant the augment from the extra manifester levels?

With the augment above which of these is the correct happening for a first level power(base cost 1):

I spend 1 point, augment it 3 times with wild surge.
I spend 1 point, but can only augment it 1 time with wild surge.
I spend 9 points and augment it 3 times with wild surge.