PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Duke of URL
2010-10-01, 11:48 AM
A 505

The phrase "This spell functions like shadow conjuration" might lead you to believe that it is likewise restricted, but the following phrase "except that it mimics sorcerer and wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower" overrides this with a specific statement. Therefore any conjuration spell of the appropriate list and level may be used.

Douglas
2010-10-01, 12:29 PM
A506

Yes, you can. A Wilder can use Wild Surge "whenever she manifests a power," and no further constraint on its use is mentioned.

A507

As a level 7 Wilder, if you used Wild Surge for +3 and manifested a level 1 power with maximum augment, you would:
A) Spend 1 for the base cost
B) Spend 6 extra for augmenting
C) Get 3 free points of extra augmenting

Net result: Spend 7 power points, get the effect as if you had spent 10 instead. Doing this with Mind Thrust, for example, would make the power do a total of 10d10 damage and give +4 to the save DC.

Wild Surge gives exactly enough free augmenting to match the increase in augmentation limit from increased manifester level. You could instead, if you wanted to, Wild Surge +3 and manifest Mind Thrust for only the base cost of 1 power point, and this would result in 4d10 damage and +1 save DC as normal for 3 points of augmentation. Any augmenting beyond that still has to be paid for normally.

dragonsamurai77
2010-10-02, 09:40 AM
Q508
I remember reading about some material that makes a weapon heavier and more damaging (gold something-or-another, I think), but I can't rembember exactly what it is, and I can't find it on Crystal Keep. What was it called, and how much does it cost to have a weapon made out of it?

powerdemon
2010-10-02, 09:54 AM
Q 509
Are there any items, weapon/armor enchantments, or feats that increase sneak attack damage? By dice or by a number, either is acceptable.

Peregrine
2010-10-02, 11:03 AM
A 509

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you want to improve on sneak attack rather than just get more d6s? If I'm right, I hear the Craven (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Craven) feat mentioned a lot. If I'm wrong, the assassination weapon property, from the "Urban Tools" Cityscape web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070314a), grants sneak attack +1d6.

Peregrine
2010-10-02, 11:11 AM
Q 510
Is there any way to detect that a creature has the Extraplanar subtype? (Besides "oh look, it's a demon and we're on the Material Plane".) I'm particularly thinking of (I think) the Dark Creature template, which changes native plane to the Plane of Shadow, but doesn't change creature type.

Duke of URL
2010-10-02, 11:47 AM
A 509

Deadly Precision (CAdv).

powerdemon
2010-10-02, 12:20 PM
Q 509 Additional
Either would work. Thanks for those suggestions, I'll look into them.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-02, 01:07 PM
Q511

What's the WBL for level 30?

AmberVael
2010-10-02, 01:23 PM
A 511

Though that information is not open content, I can tell you that you can find the Epic Wealth By Level table on page 209 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, in the bottom left corner.

draconicgodking
2010-10-02, 01:24 PM
Q512
is there a list of feats for familiars and if so where can i find it?

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-02, 03:33 PM
Q513

Does Powerful Build let you wield weapons a size bigger without penalty?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-02, 04:29 PM
A 513 Yes.

See Races of Stone on page 56.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-02, 04:51 PM
A 509 additional

The Heartfinder weapon enhancement (Arms and Equipment Guide, page 97) adds +1d6 damage in cases where sneak attack would apply.
The Backstabber (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm#backstabber) Epic sword adds +2d6 sneak attack.
The Sword of Subtlety (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#swordofSubtlety) adds +4 to attack and damage when making a sneak attack.
Bracers of Murder (Drow of the Underdark, page 98) let you reroll 1s on sneak attack or sudden strike damage.
A Rogue's Vest (Magic Item Compendium, page 130) adds +1d6 to sneak attack, sudden strike, or skirmish damage.
Assassin's Stance (Tome of Battle, page 75) grants +2d6 sneak attack. If you're not playing a martial adept character, the combination of Martial Study and Martial Stance feats (Tome of Battle, pages 31-32) and a character level of 10+ will let you adopt that stance.

WinWin
2010-10-02, 06:43 PM
A512 Dictum Mortuum has a familliar handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007)

powerdemon
2010-10-02, 06:44 PM
A 509 additional
The Heartfinder weapon enhancement...

Very nice list! Thank you mudge!

Coidzor
2010-10-02, 07:13 PM
A508: The Gold/Platinum weapons (AKA Heavy Weapons, AKA Alchemical Gold/Platinum) are from Magic of Faerun (or MoF if that doesn't translate into Magic of Faerun). I can't tell specifics because I have neither the books nor have my searchings yielded a consensus as far as the cost, but the effect is a weapon that deals damage as if it were one size category larger than it is. Requires an additional weapon proficiency though.

Usually are brought up in discussions of how to make over-sized weapon fighting builds more over-sized.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-02, 07:40 PM
Re: A 508

Gold heavy weapons are detailed in Magic of Faerûn on page 179. However, they modify weapon weights from the 3.0 standard weight categories. Since those weapon categories were discarded in the change to 3.5 D&D, the gold special material rules are incompatible with 3.5 weapons.

mucco
2010-10-02, 11:20 PM
Q 514

Do intelligent undead controlled by a spellcaster via Animate Dead and Awaken Undead count towards party size for XP calculation for encounters?

ffone
2010-10-03, 03:52 AM
Q515

If a city has a sufficiently high 'gp limit' for purchasing magic items, can PCs buy a wand that has less than 50 charges?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-03, 04:38 AM
A 515

This one's entirely up to your DM, because partially charged wands of spells you want would be custom items. The only option specified in the rules for partially charged wands is when you create a character above 1st level; see Dungeon Master's Guide, page 199. At any other time the default is that you must buy a freshly created wand with 50 charges.

WinWin
2010-10-03, 04:54 AM
A514 No. They are the creation of a spell effect, much like a monster summoned by a conjurer. An 11th level cleric with a horde of undead is still CR 11. For all intents and purposes, the horde of undead is considered to be a class feature.

Having said that, 3.0 had rules for modifying XP earned due to encounter difficulty. Trivial or difficult encounters would have a modified reward. RAW, 3.5 does not support this kind of ad hoc adjustment (to my knowledge).

Eloel
2010-10-03, 06:16 AM
Q506
Do you get XP if your Animal Companion kills something that you don't even know exists?

Talking about a scenario like:
Druid sleeps. Animal Companion gets hungry and goes hunting. Animal Companion gets attacked by BigBeast#1. Animal Companion (b)eats BigBeast#1.

Derjuin
2010-10-03, 10:14 AM
Q 517

How do the Crusader's maneuvers that heal (like Crusader's Strike) and stances (like Martial Spirit) interact with Tomb-Tainted Soul - do they receive damage instead of healing if they designate the person with TTS as the recipient of the healing?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-03, 10:37 AM
A 516 No.

An animal companion is, for most purposes, an NPC. That is, the DM decides how the companion will act. Only actions taken on behalf of the animal's companion character (generally when they use Handle Animal tricks) generate XP for the party.

Roc Ness
2010-10-03, 10:39 PM
Q518
When stacking templates on a monster or PC, certain types and subtypes are incompatible with certain templates. For example, creatures of the Fey type may not become Ghosts. However, can this restriction be circumvented by adding a different template onto the base creature beforehand to change the type into a legal one? For example, is it possible to first change the Fey type creature into a Magical Beast via the Shadow Creature template, and then apply the Ghost template?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-03, 11:12 PM
A 518

This approach works, in theory. You'd also have to make sure that the templates can be applied in the order necessary (so check to see which ones are inherited and which acquired). However, your specific example fails to satisfy your requirements because the Shadow Creature template only changes the type when the original type is Animal or Vermin; it makes no change if the original type is Fey. See Lords of Madness on page 168.

ffone
2010-10-04, 12:53 AM
Q519

When Permanency is used to make a spell such as Detect Magic permanent on the character, and the caster levels of the two spells are different for some reason, what caster level is used for future Dispel Magics cast on the character?

Q520

When making a spell such as Detect Magic permanent on the character, what means of 'casting' Detect Magic are allowed? Would using a scroll, wand, or potion work?

Q521

Can character cast spells at lower caster levels than their actual? (Motivation: NPC spellcasting services at the most efficient price point, without using a separate NPC for every spell level)

Tytalus
2010-10-04, 05:05 AM
Gold heavy weapons are detailed in Magic of Faerûn on page 179. However, they modify weapon weights from the 3.0 standard weight categories. Since those weapon categories were discarded in the change to 3.5 D&D, the gold special material rules are incompatible with 3.5 weapons.

That is not correct. The rules do not modify 3.0 "weight categories" and plainly spell out what effect they have. There appears to be no incompatibility.

Tytalus
2010-10-04, 05:06 AM
Q522: (Repost) Does the spell area of a spell modified with the Sculpt Spell metamagic feat (Complete Arcane, p. 83) have to be continuous when the "four 10 foot cubes" option is chosen? I'd be very much interested in a RAW quote that clarifies the situation.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 05:44 AM

That is not correct. The rules do not modify 3.0 "weight categories" and plainly spell out what effect they have. There appears to be no incompatibility. While my terminology was off ("weight cateogries" should have been "size categories"), the argument is sound, as a closer examination of the cited rules should show. From Magic of Faerûn on page 179:
Gold weapons are considered heavy weapons (see the sidebar on Heavy Weapons).
Heavy Weapons
A character can wield a heavy weapon one size category smaller than his own in two hands to avoid the attack penalty. For instance, a human swinging a light mace made of gold with both hands, or an ogre wielding a platinum longsword with two hands, does not suffer the attack penalty.From the 3.0 SRD, Equipment section:
Tiny, Small, Medium-Size, and Large Weapons: The size of a weapon compared to a character's size determines whether for the character the weapon is light, one-handed, two-handed, or too large to use.
This is followed by weapon size groupings, where (examples) a dagger is listed as a Tiny weapon, a light mace is listed as a Small weapon, and a quarterstaff is listed as a Large weapon.

Gold and platinum heavy weapons are very much dependent on 3.0 weapon size categories, even though the terms used are similar to those in 3.5 D&D. The "human swinging a light mace" example makes sense in 3.0 rules, because under that weapon size system a human is size Medium and a light mace is always size Small. It doesn't make sense in 3.5 rules where a light mace may be of any size.

Because 3.5 rules do not have this size category concept, those gold and platinum heavy weapon rules cannot be applied without inidividual DM modification.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 05:50 AM
A 519 Both.

If Dispel Magic removes either Permanency or the orginal spell, the magic ceases (assuming that the duration of the original spell has expired). While Permanency modifies the original spell's duration to make it permanent, that modification lasts only as long as Permanency (which also has permanent duration) does.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 05:56 AM
A 520

All of these methods work. You need a form where the desired target is the official "caster" of the Detect Magic effect. So if the target uses the wand or scroll that works, but not if someone else does the spell triggering or completion from those items. A potion always works. An oil would need to be applied by the target creature to themselves.
The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

The person applying an oil is the effective caster, but the object is the target.

A 521 Yes.
You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

Tytalus
2010-10-04, 07:52 AM
Gold and platinum heavy weapons are very much dependent on 3.0 weapon size categories, even though the terms used are similar to those in 3.5 D&D. The "human swinging a light mace" example makes sense in 3.0 rules, because under that weapon size system a human is size Medium and a light mace is always size Small. It doesn't make sense in 3.5 rules where a light mace may be of any size.

Because 3.5 rules do not have this size category concept, those gold and platinum heavy weapon rules cannot be applied without inidividual DM modification.

You talked about incompatibility before, not modification. Since the transition of 3.0 weapon sizes to 3.5 weapon categories is straight-forward, I don't see much of a problem there, especially given WotC's "if it's 3.0 and hasn't been explicitly updated, it's valid for 3.5 play" philosophy.

Note that the most-used part of the rules (i.e., everything except the section you quoted) makes no references to 3.0 weapon sizes, so that single section (which is merely an extension to the base rule of doing more damage) alone needs to be revised. Or ignored, for that matter.

YMMV.

Chen
2010-10-04, 08:50 AM
Q523

How do Tumble and Jump interact? In the Sudden Leap power in the Tiger Claw discipline it mentions something like "Like all movement you can tumble to avoid AOOs when making this jump".

Suppose now I want to clear a 30 ft gap that has a creature floating in it. I want to jump/tumble by it to reach the other side. Assuming a proper 20 ft running start, is it just a DC 30 jump check + DC 15 tumble check? Would the 30 ft jumping part have to be at half movement therefore requiring me to be able to move 80 ft in the round?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 09:41 AM
You talked about incompatibility before, not modification.
Incompatibility means that there are no official rules on how to make such adjustments, and individual DMs may make different decisions on this issue, including deciding that they don't want to spend the time and thus these 3.0 materials are no longer available.
Since the transition of 3.0 weapon sizes to 3.5 weapon categories is straight-forward I dispute that point. A 3.0 halfling cannot ever use any greatsword, while for a 3.0 ogre a greatsword is always a one-handed weapon. In 3.5 rules halflings can use greatswords, and 3.0 ogres need two hands to use greatswords. A 3.0 halfling cannot ever use a gold or platinum light mace without penalty. There's very little straightforward about this.

I don't see much of a problem there, especially given WotC's "if it's 3.0 and hasn't been explicitly updated, it's valid for 3.5 play" philosophy. You're misrepresenting the statement on page 4 of the Dungeon Master's Guide:
This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments. 3.5 allows changing the weight of a weapon (downward) using mithral in place of steel; this does not change the weapon damage. As a DM, my "minor adjustment" take is that to be consistent gold and platinum construction change the weight of a weapon (upward) but also do not change the weapon damage.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 09:57 AM
A 523

You apply both Tumble and Jump simultaneously. If you're getting a running start as usual for Jump, you would need to move at least 20' in a straight line beforehand, and then make a DC 30 Jump check. If you're moving at half speed you would need the same 20' running start (which requires 40' of movement) and then make the same DC 30 Jump check. If you did not have a movement rate of at least 40' you could not make the required half speed running start, and your Jump check would be DC 60.

If there's a creature in the gap you would need a minimum Tumble DC of 25 to go through its space, assuming you were moving at half speed. You would need to impose a -10 accelerated tumbling penalty to move faster than half speed, making your minimum Tumble DC effectively 35.

Chen
2010-10-04, 11:34 AM
A 523

You apply both Tumble and Jump simultaneously. If you're getting a running start as usual for Jump, you would need to move at least 20' in a straight line beforehand, and then make a DC 30 Jump check. If you're moving at half speed you would need the same 20' running start (which requires 40' of movement) and then make the same DC 30 Jump check. If you did not have a movement rate of at least 40' you could not make the required half speed running start, and your Jump check would be DC 60.

If there's a creature in the gap you would need a minimum Tumble DC of 25 to go through its space, assuming you were moving at half speed. You would need to impose a -10 accelerated tumbling penalty to move faster than half speed, making your minimum Tumble DC effectively 35.

Q523 followup

Doesn't the distance jumped count towards your movement for the turn? Suppose I have a movement rate of 30' a single move action left and I want to jump over a 40' pit. If I run 20' then jump am I limited to jumping only 10'? Or can I clear the bit with a sufficient jump check?

Also it was with regards to that point that I had asked the tumbling jump question. If I have a 30' gap to cross that I want to tumble/jump across (assuming I can make whatever the DC check is) do I need 60' of movement to get across that because I'm tumbling? Or is it still only 30'?

Zherog
2010-10-04, 11:56 AM
A 523, followup

Q523 followup

Doesn't the distance jumped count towards your movement for the turn? Suppose I have a movement rate of 30' a single move action left and I want to jump over a 40' pit. If I run 20' then jump am I limited to jumping only 10'? Or can I clear the bit with a sufficient jump check?

In the situation you describe, you will Jump 10' this round, then hang in the air all Matrix-style until your next turn in the initiative order. At that time, you'll be required to spend a move action completing the Jump (and 10' of movement remaining, if you wish, since you'll only have moved 20'). After your move action is completed, you'll have a standard action as normal.

I'm not quite sure on the answer to your second part, so I'll leave that for somebody else to figure out.

cd4
2010-10-04, 12:11 PM
Q524

If I have an ability that replaces Dex as an AC bonus with another stat, could I wear full-plate armour and still get all the bonus to AC from the other class?

Q525

Can you make a psionic wand of an augmented power?

Q526

Can you make an eternal psionic wand?

Q527

If I had a class with a certain race requirement and I wildshaped into another creature would I lose all the benefits of that class?

Q528

I tried to work out the formula for eternal wands but found that there was no real formula for the prices given as the cost for a level 0 wand is not half the cost of a level 1 wand, and the level 2 wand is not 6 times the level 1 wand. Could you give me a formula for the eternal wands please.
Also could I have the formulas for the psionic wands and ordinary wands and if possible the formula for the eternal psionic wand (see 526).

Tytalus
2010-10-04, 12:27 PM
I dispute that point. A 3.0 halfling cannot ever use any greatsword, while for a 3.0 ogre a greatsword is always a one-handed weapon. ...

That's a very complicated representation of a simple situation.

In 3.0, the halfling's "greatsword" was simply called a longsword. It worked as a 3.5 halfling's greatsword in all respects, except for the updated damage value.

In 3.0, the greatsword was 3.5's greatsword for medium-sized people. A 3.5 (medium-sized) greatsword is still always a one-handed weapon for a 3.5 ogre. Also, a 3.0 ogre can use a (medium-sized) greatsword with two hands, if he so chooses.

The only real difference is the terminology and that the penalty for inappropriately sized weapons doesn't apply. I don't see how this is supposed to be complicated.

But all of these examples are entirely irrelevant to the RAW in question. all that matters is what "a weapon one size category smaller than (the wielder)" means. To me it's pretty clear those are 3.5's light weapons (which would make sense, too). Alternatively, you can simply see what fits the definition in 3.0 and take the 3.5 equivalent.

and 3.0 ogres need two hands to use greatswords.

That's actually not correct. They need two hands to use huge greatswords.

You're misrepresenting ...

That's a rather confrontational way (implying disingenuous intent) to phrase your opinion, especially considering that I never referred to that particular section in the first place.

As a DM, my "minor adjustment" take is that to be consistent gold and platinum construction change the weight of a weapon (upward) but also do not change the weapon damage.

...and thereby removing the point of such weapons entirely.

Of course: play as you like. I'd agree that if the conversion is not clear to you, it's probably best to avoid it. Either way, good gaming!

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 01:01 PM
Q523 followup

If I have a 30' gap to cross that I want to tumble/jump across (assuming I can make whatever the DC check is) do I need 60' of movement to get across that because I'm tumbling? Or is it still only 30'?
You need whatever movement is required for the rate you're going. Half speed movement counts each square you move through twice. If you're going at full speed you need 30' of movement to cross a 30' gap. If you're going at half speed you need 60' of movement to cross that same gap. The speed you choose for your Tumble check also affects your Jump; that's why you'd also need 40' of movement for your 20' running start if you're going at half speed. You can Tumble at half speed (no penalty), full speed (-10 penalty) or running speed (-20 penalty) as the circumstances and your choices dictate.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 01:07 PM
A 524 Probably not.

If the ability replaces DEX with another stat for all purposes related to your AC bonus, that replacement will also include substitution of Maximum DEX Bonus to AC with Maximum <other stat> Bonus to AC. That's the case with the Deepwarden's Stone Warden ability, at least; that change imposes a Maximum CON bonus to AC based on your armor.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 01:12 PM
A 527

The requirements for most classes are checked only when you attempt to take a level in them. Certain classes like the Paladin and Cleric include ongoing requirements of various sorts (code of conduct, & c.). The only general exceptions are the prestige classes in Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane, which require you to continually maintain all entry requirements for those PrCs.

Tytalus
2010-10-04, 02:48 PM
A 524 Probably not.
If the ability replaces DEX with another stat for all purposes related to your AC bonus, that replacement will also include substitution of Maximum DEX Bonus to AC with Maximum <other stat> Bonus to AC. That's the case with the Deepwarden's Stone Warden ability, at least; that change imposes a Maximum CON bonus to AC based on your armor.

The Deepwarden ability does not impose such a penalty, at least not by RAW.

draconicgodking
2010-10-04, 04:14 PM
Q529 what are the best feats for an evocation heavy sorcerer?

Edhelras
2010-10-04, 05:04 PM

When you cast the spell Bestow Curse - must you hit with a Touch attack to deliver it? And if you get a critical hit - can you for instance reduce one ability score with 12 (the double of 6)?

Keld Denar
2010-10-04, 05:37 PM
Q529 what are the best feats for an evocation heavy sorcerer?

A529 Empower Spell, Split Ray (CArcane), Rapid Metamagic (CArcane), and Quicken Spell are all solid choices, along with Improved Initiative and a few things that increase your survivability.

When you cast the spell Bestow Curse - must you hit with a Touch attack to deliver it? And if you get a critical hit - can you for instance reduce one ability score with 12 (the double of 6)?

A 530 Yes, you have to touch with Bestow Curse. That means an attack roll. Also, things like the stat penalty would be doubled, but others like the 50% chance to do nothing would not (since doubling it would be redundant). You'd still have to roll to confirm the crit though.

Gah, misremembered that one. I remember Ray of Enfeeblement being explicitly called out on in the Weaponlike Spells section of CArcane, but forgot that it was a negative ruling rather than a positive. My bad.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-04, 06:05 PM
A 530 dispute You can only get a critical hit with a spell that deals damage and requires an attack roll. Bestow curse does require an attack roll, but a stat penalty is not damage.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 07:11 PM
Re: A 524

The Deepwarden ability does not impose such a penalty, at least not by RAW.
The Stone Warden ability is written as a substitution of CON bonus to AC in place of of DEX bonus to AC. As a replacement, the characteristics associated with the replaced ability are assumed by the replacement ability.
He adds his Constitution bonus to AC instead of his Dexterity, if the character’s Constitution bonus is higher. The deepwarden loses this bonus to his Armor Class whenever he would normally be denied his Dexterity bonus to AC.
Does the deepwarden’s Stone Warden ability (RS 105) still have a maximum Dexterity bonus to his Armor Class, and does that maximum still apply to his Constitution?
The maximum Dexterity bonus should be treated as the maximum ability bonus given by the armor, so if you were playing a deepwarden wearing full plate, you would only add 1 to your Armor Class from your Constitution.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-04, 07:16 PM
Re: A 530

From Complete Arcane on page 85:
CRITICAL HITS

Unless the spell description says otherwise, a weaponlike spell threatens a critical hit on a roll of 20 and deals double damage with a critical hit. Only damage that the spell deals in the round it strikes is increased by a critical hit. As KillianHawkeye already pointed out, a penalty is not damage and thus does not get doubled on a critical hit.

Derjuin
2010-10-04, 07:29 PM
Just wondering, was this missed or is the answer still un-found?

Q 517

How do the Crusader's maneuvers that heal (like Crusader's Strike) and stances (like Martial Spirit) interact with Tomb-Tainted Soul - do they receive damage instead of healing if they designate the person with TTS as the recipient of the healing?

Keld Denar
2010-10-04, 07:45 PM
A 517

Since a Crusader's healing strikes are not bound to any particular energy type (positive or negative), they would interact with undead or tomb-tainted folks in the same manner as something like Fast Healing does...in other words, it works. It would also work just fine for Warforged and other constructy type folks.

Xyk
2010-10-04, 08:21 PM
Q 531

Is there a closer approximation to a velociraptor statted out than the Deinonychus? I want one that is appropriately small sized for a Velociraptor Attack! adventure.

Dralnu
2010-10-04, 10:25 PM
Q 532

Can a Dread Necromancer's Advanced Learning allow her to learn the cleric's version of Animate Dead (a level 3 spell) even though the class has the spell too (at level 4)?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-05, 12:27 AM
A 532 Yes.
If a spell is both a cleric spell and a wizard spell, use the lower of the two spell levels (when different) to determine what level the spell is for a dread necromancer.

Edhelras
2010-10-05, 04:40 AM
Q533

When you dismiss your Web spell (which is often quite long-lasting, 10 minutes per lvl) - can you dismantle it gradually one square at a time, or will all of it disappear simultaneously?

Edhelras
2010-10-05, 05:07 AM
Q534

When I make a ranged touch attack with Melf's Acid arrows - do the ordinary penalties for firing into melée count? The -4 on the ranged attack roll, the +4 for cover because of a party member standing between you and the target?

ragnar
2010-10-05, 06:50 AM
Q535

This question has certainly be asked already but I couldn't find the answer using the search tool. Here we go :

if the area of effect of an area spell does not cover entirely the area occupied by a large creature (more than one square) is the creature still affected by the spell ? Fully, partially, not at all ? Could you please suplly a RAW reference ?

Thanks for your help

Duke of URL
2010-10-05, 06:57 AM
A 533

No. Unless the spell specifies otherwise (and web doesn't), you can't just partially dismiss the spell. It's all-or-nothing.

A 534

Yes, normal ranged penalties apply to ranged touch attack rolls.

Tytalus
2010-10-05, 07:27 AM
Re: A 524
As a replacement, the characteristics associated with the replaced ability are assumed by the replacement ability.

That is certainly a valid point of view, however not substantiated in the RAW. I'm aware of the FAQ (which is not RAW) and that it seems to imply it's RAI, but it's a contentious topic (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19862778/Best_tank_PrC_EVAR?no_redir=1), to say the least.

I'd agree it's the most practical interpretation of the rules, though.

cd4
2010-10-05, 11:26 AM
Q536

a) What save bonuses does a wereboar character gain for becoming a wereboar?
b) How many hitdice do I gain for becoming a wereboar?

Q537

If I get bitten when I am a 10th level character, I pretty sure that my next 2 levels are taken by the LA. Do I have to take the next 2 after that as Racial Hitdice making the effective LA +4?

powerdemon
2010-10-05, 12:41 PM
Q 538

The Hellbred race in Fiendish Codex II, the spirit aspect, at 12HD, it says "gains the ability to see in darkness, even that created by a deeper darkness spell". Does this mean they have unlimited darkvision?

Mordrigar
2010-10-05, 12:52 PM
A 538:

No, he still has 120 feet limit. (that gained at 9th level)

Curmudgeon
2010-10-05, 12:56 PM
A 538

This one's a puzzler. The Hellbred vision at 12 HD is definitely not darkvision, which has defined characteristics; plus the Hellbred already has acquired that previously. Also pretty much anyone can see (dimly) in the area of a Deeper Darkness spell, as that spell creates shadowy illumination if none was previously in existence. However, "gains the ability to see in darkness" when the race already has 120' darkvision would have to add something extra. Some possibilities:

unlimited range darkvision
color vision
the ability to negate the concealment provided by magical darkness
combinations of the above
There's no actual answer provided in the RAW, so you'll need to talk to your DM.

powerdemon
2010-10-05, 01:01 PM
A 538

This one's a puzzler. The Hellbred vision at 12 HD is definitely not darkvision, which has defined characteristics; plus the Hellbred already has acquired that previously. Also pretty much anyone can see (dimly) in the area of a Deeper Darkness spell, as that spell creates shadowy illumination if none was previously in existence. However, "gains the ability to see in darkness" when the race already has 120' darkvision would have to add something extra. Some possibilities:

unlimited range darkvision
color vision
the ability to negate the concealment provided by magical darkness
combinations of the above
There's no actual answer provided in the RAW, so you'll need to talk to your DM.

I was afraid of that, but thanks for looking at it.

Duke of URL
2010-10-05, 01:10 PM
A 536

a) You add the base save bonuses of a boar, which it gets from 3 Animal racial hit dice: Fort +3, Reflex +3, Will +1. Edit: As noted below, you also gain +1 to Will for getting WIS +2, and another +2 to Will for gaining the Iron Will feat, if you do not already have it. When in boar or hybrid form, you also gain an additional +3 to Fort for the increased CON.

b) You gain 3 Animal racial hit dice (note how this plays into the next question...)

A 537

When you gain the lycanthrope template, you receive all of the benefits and drawbacks at once. You gain 3 Animal racial hit dice and a level adjustment of +2 immediately, making your total ECL 15 and your CL 13. You would then proceed gaining experience as normal, at the higher ECL, which would be significantly slower than for an ECL 10 character in the same encounters.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-05, 01:13 PM
A535:Large or larger creatures are fully affected if any part of them is within the area of the spell. D&D makes no distinction for being partially within a spell's area of effect; something is either in the area, or outside of it.

When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares...The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection...If the far edge of a square is within the spell's area, anything within that square is within the spell's area."

A536 discussion: Duke of URL provided how your base saves change. Keep in mind, All lycanthropes get +2 WIS, increasing your Will saves by another +1. Also, depending on your form, you may receive +6 CON, which would boost your Fortitude saves by another +3.

Duke of URL
2010-10-05, 01:16 PM
A536 discussion discussion:

They also gain Iron Will, for even more Will save goodness. I (mis)read the original question as referring to base saves.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-05, 01:55 PM
Q539: Where are the rules for divine ranks etc? If you can, a brief summary would be great as well.

powerdemon
2010-10-05, 02:01 PM
Q 540

Another Hellbred question, they get automatic language Infernal, and all languages known in their last life. It doesn't specifically mention common, how do you decide what languages they start with? Is this a DM's discretion situation? (Fiendish Codex II pg 78)

OMG PONIES
2010-10-05, 02:02 PM
A539: Hope this helps (http://dndsrd.net/divine.html). I've never mucked about with them myself, so I must leave the summary to wiser souls.

A540: All characters speak Common (PHB, page 12). Beyond that, it seems like a DM's call.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-05, 02:30 PM
Q 538

The Hellbred race in Fiendish Codex II, the spirit aspect, at 12HD, it says "gains the ability to see in darkness, even that created by a deeper darkness spell". Does this mean they have unlimited darkvision?

A 538Surely this is obvious? It improves Darkvision to include the effects of magical darkness, much like devils. The "see in darkness" bit is just fluff really.

Coidzor
2010-10-05, 04:38 PM
Q 541

Is there a feat that allows a large creature to initiate bull-rush attempts with its attacks with manufactured weapons?

cd4
2010-10-05, 04:52 PM
Q537 Clarification

What I wanted to know was whether the character could gain 18 levels in classes or only 15 due to the animal Hit dice?

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-10-05, 05:11 PM
Q 542

Is an Astral Deva immortal or does it have a set life span, and what are its age categories either way?

Niezck
2010-10-05, 05:20 PM
Q 543

If I take the full 10 levels of ur-priest, then take 10-level divine prestige class that fully advances it, do I gain any additional spells/day and if so, how many?

Zherog
2010-10-05, 05:28 PM
A 537 Clarification

Q537 Clarification

What I wanted to know was whether the character could gain 18 levels in classes or only 15 due to the animal Hit dice?

The animal Hit Dice count towards your ECL, so you would only be able to gain 15 class levels (assuming the game doesn't go into epic progressions).

Curmudgeon
2010-10-05, 06:35 PM
A 535 [correction]

Large or larger creatures are fully affected if any part of them is within the area of the spell. D&D makes no distinction for being partially within a spell's area of effect; something is either in the area, or outside of it.
Well, that's not right:
Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.
While a spell with a creature as a Target will affect that creature as a whole if any part of it can be reached by the spell, an Area spell affects only the squares specified.
If the far edge of a square is within the spell’s area, anything within that square is within the spell’s area. If the spell’s area only touches the near edge of a square, however, anything within that square is unaffected by the spell. While a multi-square creature will certainly be affected if they're in the area, only those squares in the area are affected. Thus a Large creature will have concealment in any of its 4 squares within the area of a Darkness spell, but those creature squares outside the spell's area are unaffected by the spell.

Some area spells will have results that affect all or parts of a creature straddling the border. Acid Fog will deal damage to the whole creature if any creature square is within that spell's area, because D&D does not have hit locations and thus damage is applied to the entire creature. Additionally, the creature as a whole is slowed by the spell because D&D creatures don't get to move their creature squares independently. However, the creature's sight is obscured only to squares within the Acid Fog cloud, and a line of sight outside the Acid Fog from an unaffected creature square suffers no concealment miss chance.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-05, 06:41 PM
A 543 No.

You advance the class features specified by the second class according to the rules for the class being advanced. Ur-Priest does not have any rules for advancement beyond 10th level so you would receive no benefit.

Keld Denar
2010-10-05, 07:18 PM
Q 541

Is there a feat that allows a large creature to initiate bull-rush attempts with its attacks with manufactured weapons?
A 541 Knockback, from Races of Stone, requires large+ size and allows you to initiate a bull rush (that you don't have to follow) when you Power Attack for 1 or more.

A 543 No.

You advance the class features specified by the second class according to the rules for the class being advanced. Ur-Priest does not have any rules for advancement beyond 10th level so you would receive no benefit.
A 543 addendum
You don't gain any more spellcaster levels (with regards to spells per day/known), but your caster level would increase (with regards to things like duration, effect, damage dice, range, etc).

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-05, 07:23 PM
Q 531

Is there a closer approximation to a velociraptor statted out than the Deinonychus? I want one that is appropriately small sized for a Velociraptor Attack! adventure.

A531: The velociraptors in Jurassic Park were actually Deinonychus, but Spielburg renamed them with the coolest name he found in all of dromaeosaruidae, "Velociraptor". If you want to stat out a TRUE Velociraptor, it is a Small creature. However, D&D has an alternate set of Deinonychus stats, the Clawfoot from Eberron, which is supposed to be a true Velociraptor. I would personally just take the stats of a Clawfoot, and make it small, reduing its strength to 15 and and increasing its dex to 19 and making it's talons much smaller.

However, if you want an actual BADASS dinosaur... welll... there are a few options, or you can houserule it. Here are the droameousarids written up in D&D that I know of. Fleshraker has no real world equivalent, btw.

SRD:
Deinonychus (Carver)
Megaraptor (Great Carver)
MM3
Fleshraker
EbCS
Velociraptor (Clawfoot)

Here is a rough real world size comparison of Dromaeosauridae:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol317/issue5843/images/large/317_1378_F3.jpeg

Here is a set of houserule stuff I tried to figure out for some dromaeosaurids. I think my math might have been a bit wrong, but eh... it can give you a starting point.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8687.0

OMG PONIES
2010-10-05, 09:22 PM
A535 discussion/Q544:

While a multi-square creature will certainly be affected if they're in the area, only those squares in the area are affected. Thus a Large creature will have concealment in any of its 4 squares within the area of a Darkness spell, but those creature squares outside the spell's area are unaffected by the spell.

Some area spells will have results that affect all or parts of a creature straddling the border. Acid Fog will deal damage to the whole creature if any creature square is within that spell's area, because D&D does not have hit locations and thus damage is applied to the entire creature. Additionally, the creature as a whole is slowed by the spell because D&D creatures don't get to move their creature squares independently.

My mistake--I was only thinking in terms of effects like Stinking Cloud. To confirm, that spell would have a chance to nauseate a Large or larger creature if even one of the creature's squares was within the spell's area, correct?

Private-Prinny
2010-10-05, 11:16 PM
Q544

From Magic of Incarnum:

DOUBLE CHAKRA
One of your chakras becomes capable of holding more incarnum than it is normally capable of containing.
Prerequisite: Meldshaper level 9th.
Benefit: When this feat is selected, choose a chakra to which you can bind soulmelds. Two of your shaped soulmelds can occupy (and be bound to) that chakra simultaneously. This counts as two chakra binds.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects
do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a
new chakra.
Normal: Without this feat, each chakra can only be
occupied or bound by a single soulmeld.

Is a Totemist's Totem Chakra a valid target for this feat?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-05, 11:34 PM
My mistake--I was only thinking in terms of effects like Stinking Cloud. To confirm, that spell would have a chance to nauseate a Large or larger creature if even one of the creature's squares was within the spell's area, correct?
That's correct. Most D&D conditions are either-or: you're affected, or not, and nauseated is one of those.

Coidzor
2010-10-06, 12:45 AM
Q545

Where in the rulebooks does it state what happens if one illegally ends one's movement in an occupied square (such as by an object, creature, or wall)? (I've already checked the bull rush rules in the PHB and... am stumped. Alternatively, an SRD link would also be more than acceptable.)

Jokes
2010-10-06, 04:14 AM
A545

From the SRD:

Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#specialMovementRul es)
Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-10-06, 04:40 AM
Q546
Can a Barbarian 1/Crusader X with the lion spirit totem full attack at the end of Battle Leader's Charge? If so, does he get the +10 to damage on all the charge attacks, or just the first one?

(In other news, this is post #1337)

OMG PONIES
2010-10-06, 06:03 AM
A544: Yes.

A546 Yes. Since there are multiple attack rolls, this is not a volley and the extra damage applies to all attacks.

powerdemon
2010-10-06, 09:01 AM
A 538Surely this is obvious? It improves Darkvision to include the effects of magical darkness, much like devils. The "see in darkness" bit is just fluff really.

Not obvious to me because it says "as well as" meaning it gives more than one affect.

powerdemon
2010-10-06, 10:36 AM
Q 547

Are there any items/feats that improve Eldricht Blast damage for a Warlock?

q 548

Does a creature affected by a charm spell remember or in any way know after the spell affect ends, that it was charmed?

Duke of URL
2010-10-06, 10:52 AM
A 547

Items: Chasuble of Fell Power (lesser and greater versions) (CArc), Warlock's Scepter (MIC)
Feats: Empower Spell-Like Ability (eldritch blast), Maximize Spell-Like Ability (eldritch blast) (CArc), Extra Invocation (CArc) [won't increase base damage, but can allow you to choose a damaging essence]

A 548

Since the spell description doesn't say otherwise, the subject of the spell should be aware that a spell had been cast upon it after the effect is over. The trickier question is would the subject still know if you were able to cast the spell without him/her knowing it? I don't think there's a RAW answer to that.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-06, 11:01 AM
A 546 [correction]

The bonus applies only to the first attack, because the benefit is expressed in the singular.
If your charge attack hits, it deals an extra 10 points of damage.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 11:03 AM
Q 549

Can you take Planar Touchstone feat for Catalogues of Enlightenment, then pick Magic domain to become able to activate all wizard wands (and eternal wands) without UMD check?

Keld Denar
2010-10-06, 11:10 AM
Q 549

A 549 Yes. You're effective wizard level will forever be 1 (since the domain specifically calls out minimum 1 and you don't have a cleric level). This doesn't matter for spell trigger items such as wands though. 1 is enough.

bokodasu
2010-10-06, 11:16 AM
Q 550

Is there a way to force a wildshaped druid back into their natural form?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-06, 11:30 AM
A 550 Yes.

A Cleric with the Truth domain (Races of Eberron, page 181) gets Force Shapechange as their 6th level domain spell. A Church Inquisitor (Complete Divine, pages 26-28) gains Force Shapechange as a 6th level class ability.

Duke of URL
2010-10-06, 11:38 AM
A 550, additional

You could always kill him/her, of course.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-06, 11:51 AM
A 546 (additional) Upon some further reading, I found another reason:

when a creature with [pounce] makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack. Because of this, the charge listed in the maneuver is separate from the following attacks. I apologize for not noticing this previously.

A550 (additional): Since Wild Shape is a Supernatural ability, an antimagic field can suppress it while the druid remains within. Aternatively, the druid could be dominated and made to use a standard action to revert to her natural form.

Q551: Does the above answer to Q546 mean that only the first attack receives the +2 bonus for charging?

CockroachTeaParty
2010-10-06, 03:36 PM
Q552

Could a warblade with the Weapon Aptitude class feature take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat, and then change it to use other exotic weapons as he came upon them?

For that matter, could an exotic weapon with the Aptitude enhancement be used by any character with martial weapon proficiency (substituting Exotic Weapon Proficiency [x] with Martial Weapon Proficiency [x], for instance)?

Esser-Z
2010-10-06, 03:37 PM
A552
Yes indeedy.

Edhelras
2010-10-06, 04:26 PM
Q553

When you cast Detect magic on a magic weapon that is simply +1, +2 or the like, what will be it's aura? And how do you craft it? I would guess that you use Magic weapon, so it's a transmutation aura - is that right?

The same for ordinary +1, +2 etc. shields and armor - which spell do you use to craft them, and which aura will the register with?

cd4
2010-10-06, 04:33 PM
Q554

a) Would the bracers of armour stack with full plate?
b) Would an amulet of natural armour stack with natural armour gained from being a creature?

Q555

a) Would the robes in the SRD count as armour for the monk's AC bonus
b) Would the skin from the SRD psionics count as armour for the monk's AC bonus.

Q556

Does a swordsage get a bonus to AC if he is not wearing armour?

Keld Denar
2010-10-06, 04:46 PM
A 553 Read here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm). Then read the section specific for magical weapons and armor. Its all there.

A 554a No. Both are armor bonuses, and thus don't stack.
A 554b Yes. AoNA is an ENHANCEMENT bonus to your NA. Thus it stacks with base NA, just like the magical +1 on armor stacks with the armor itself.
A 555a No. They don't. They take up the body slot, but they are not armor.
A 555a No. Psychoactive skins have their own magic item body slot. They are not considered armor, nor do they take up the body slot.

A 556 A super strict reading of the ability indicates no. It specifies light armor only. It can be infered that they MENT light armor or lighter, a reasonable assumption, but as written, no.

Koury
2010-10-06, 04:47 PM
Q554

a) Would the bracers of armour stack with full plate?
b) Would an amulet of natural armour stack with natural armour gained from being a creature? Q554
No to both. Bracers of Armor and full plate both grant an Armor Bonus to AC and thus don't stack. Same with the Natural bonus from some creatures and the amulet.
There are templates which explicitly do stack for Natural Armor increases, though.

EDIT: Well, half right. :smallredface:

Q556

Does a swordsage get a bonus to AC if he is not wearing armour? Q556

No. You also can't use any shield.

AC Bonus: Starting at 2nd level, you can add your Wisdom modifier as a bonus to Armor Class, so long as you wear light armor, are unencumbered, and do not use a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when you are fl at-footed. However, you lose this bonus when you are immobilized or helpless.

Edhelras
2010-10-06, 04:58 PM
A 553 Read here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/creatingmagicitems.htm). Then read the section specific for magical weapons and armor. Its all there.

Thanks - I've read it in fact, but I cannot find any solution to my question: What spell is used and what aura - for those weapons and armor which only have a +1 or +2 enhancement, without any other qualities?

soulsabre345
2010-10-06, 05:08 PM
Q557

Is there any way to have a sorcerer using charisma as their casting stat without obsessively cheesy methods?

Koury
2010-10-06, 05:15 PM
Thanks - I've read it in fact, but I cannot find any solution to my question: What spell is used and what aura - for those weapons and armor which only have a +1 or +2 enhancement, without any other qualities?

Armor registers as Abjuration, weapons as Evocation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsandDetectMagic).

Greenish
2010-10-06, 05:25 PM
A 550 Yes.

A Cleric with the Truth domain (Races of Eberron, page 181) gets Force Shapechange as their 6th level domain spell. A Church Inquisitor (Complete Divine, pages 26-28) gains Force Shapechange as a 6th level class ability.A 550 Addition.

Shifter's Sorrow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#shiftersSorrow) can remove wildshape.

Q552

Could a warblade with the Weapon Aptitude class feature take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat, and then change it to use other exotic weapons as he came upon them?

For that matter, could an exotic weapon with the Aptitude enhancement be used by any character with martial weapon proficiency (substituting Exotic Weapon Proficiency [x] with Martial Weapon Proficiency [x], for instance)?A 552

a) Yes, Weapon Aptitude allows changing any weapon specific feat to another weapon that qualifies.

b) By most readings, the weapon proficiencies that classes give are not feats, so an Aptitude weapon wouldn't have a feat to apply to. However, elves specifically gain Martial Weapon Proficiencies as bonus feats, and thus they work with Aptitude weapons.

[Edit]:
Q557

Is there any way to have a sorcerer using charisma as their casting stat without obsessively cheesy methods?A 557

Yes. Play by the rules.

soulsabre345
2010-10-06, 06:02 PM
Q557 revised

Whoops, posted that wrong. i mean is it possible for a wizard to use cha as their casting stat

Keld Denar
2010-10-06, 06:08 PM
A 557 Not really, there is no WotC or dragon material that allows you to key Wizard casting off Cha. I think there is something in the 3rd party book Bastards and Bloodlines that allows you to change casting to ANY stat, and can only be taken at 1st. Don't REALLY remember though.

Thurbane
2010-10-06, 06:38 PM
A 557 Not really, there is no WotC or dragon material that allows you to key Wizard casting off Cha. I think there is something in the 3rd party book Bastards and Bloodlines that allows you to change casting to ANY stat, and can only be taken at 1st. Don't REALLY remember though.
A 557 continued

Correct - the feat is called Lost Tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9406787&postcount=6) - as a 3rd party 3.0 source, and is generally considered very overpowered, will require some serious lassitude by your DM. Using CHA instead INT for a Wizard shouldn't be too bad, though, as INT is generally considered a much better casting stat than CHA.

Petrocorus
2010-10-06, 08:23 PM
Q 558

Summon Monster can become, at the launching, a Fire spell, if you use it to summon an elemental.

Does that mean you can use it as the fire spell in reserve for using the Fiery Burst reserve feat?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-06, 08:37 PM
A 558 No.

Summon Monster isn't a [Fire] spell until it's cast to summon a fire creature. As a reserved spell it lacks the required attribute for Fiery Burst.

ffone
2010-10-06, 08:38 PM
Q559

A character is wielding a two-handed reach weapon and wearing spiked gauntlets. Does she threaten squares at 5' (inside the reach of the weapon) thanks to the gauntlets? Can she mix gauntlet and reach weapon attacks in part of the same full attack (say, against different foes at 5' and 10' respectively)?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-06, 08:59 PM
A 559 Yes

The character can do this, generally with little risk. An enemy who readies an action to close to an adjacent space when the character attacks with the spiked gauntlets could do so with impunity, however; at that time the character would have taken one hand off their reach weapon and would not threaten at 10' and thus would not get an AoO from the enemy's movement.

amaranth69
2010-10-06, 09:27 PM
Q560

Does the weapon finesse feat apply to only one weapon type, chosen when the feat is taken or does it apply to all finessible weapons once the feat is taken. ie: Do I take weapon finesse (short sword), then, if I want to wield a rapier take weapon finesse (rapier)?

thank you

Thurbane
2010-10-06, 09:37 PM
A 560

In 3.5, you only need to take the feat once, and it applies to all finessable weapons.

I believe in 3.0, you had to take it once for each weapon you wanted to apply it to.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-10-06, 10:59 PM
Q 561
Does there exist any level 3 Sorcerer/Wizard [Fire] spell in the Conjuration school? If not, how about in any non-Evocation school?

Koury
2010-10-07, 12:40 AM
Q 561
Does there exist any level 3 Sorcerer/Wizard [Fire] spell in the Conjuration school? If not, how about in any non-Evocation school?

A 561

I've found absolutly nothing for Conjuration. Evocation has Flashburst (SpC pg 95) and... Yeah, Flashburst.

A Heightened level 2 spell would also count, I suppose.

Thurbane
2010-10-07, 01:06 AM
A Heightened level 2 spell would also count, I suppose.
A 561 additional

Also, any other energy type Conjuration spell with the Energy Substitution metamagic feat applied.

Also, Weapon of Energy (Transmutation - SC) and Energy Surge (Transmutation - PHB II) can have the Fire descriptor.

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-07, 01:11 AM
Q 561

A561

Flame Arrow, Transmutation, PHB/SRD

Backblast, Abjuration, Lost Empires of Faerun

Control Temperature, Transmutation, Frostburn

If your DM is nice:

Fire Wings, Transmutation, Spell Compendium, not normally a Wizard spell, but it's on the Wu Jen list and might be researchable.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-07, 01:12 AM
A 561

Backblast is Abjuration [Fire]; Lost Empires of Faerûn, page 30.
Control Temperature is Transmutation [Cold, Fire]; Frostburn, page 92.
Flame Arrow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flamearrow.htm) is Transmutation [Fire].

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-07, 01:23 AM
snip

I totally swordsage's you! Hah! =D =D

Koury
2010-10-07, 04:03 AM
Hmm, missed the "non-" in Q561. Reading comprehension fail. :smallredface:

ranagrande
2010-10-07, 04:31 AM
Q562

If a gestalt character were to become a third level Half-Orc Paragon and second level Dragon Disciple at the same time, would his strength increase by 2 or by 4?

powerdemon
2010-10-07, 05:26 AM
A 562

From the SRD:

A gestalt character gains the class features of both classes.

So +4.

Rasman
2010-10-07, 05:40 AM
Q563 Other than the Manual of the Planes, are there any other D&D books that are focused on planes other than the Material?

herbe
2010-10-07, 06:04 AM
A563

As i know Planescape also D&D material.

WinWin
2010-10-07, 06:29 AM
A563 Manual of the planes is 3.0 I think. The Planar Handbook has some options for 3.5. Fiendish Codex 1 & 2 have info on the lower planes. Quite a few published modules present information and fluff specific to the adventure.

Duke of URL
2010-10-07, 06:41 AM
A 553, additional

Crafting (basic) magic arms or armor doesn't require a specific spell. All you need is the feat (Craft Magic Arms and Armor) and the appropriate caster level (along with the time, gold, and xp).

Property enhancements (as opposed to enhancement bonuses) to arms and armor often do require specific spells, in addition to the feat and caster level requirements.

jpreem
2010-10-07, 09:39 AM
q 564
Can I make a melee attack that is both a death attack and a stunning fist at the same time?
(A monk/assassin build)

OMG PONIES
2010-10-07, 09:48 AM
A 564 No. Stunning Fist requires that the attack be unarmed, while the assassin's death attack stipulates that you must attack with a melee weapon.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-07, 09:52 AM
A 564 [correction] Yes.

A melee weapon is any weapon used in melee, and this includes natural weapons (of which unarmed strike is one). (Note that you don't actually need Monk levels to use Stunning Fist.)

OMG PONIES
2010-10-07, 10:20 AM
A564 discussion: My apologies. Though you mention in your answer that you need not have Monk levels to use Stunning Fist, you do need monk levels to use Stunning Fist and the assassin's death attack at the same time. Simply having a natural weapon is not enough. Stunning Fist requires an unarmed attack, and page 16 of the Rules Compendium notes that natural attacks and unarmed attacks are not the same. Only because a monk is considered armed while unarmed (PHB page 41, Rules Compendium page 16) is your answer correct.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-07, 10:44 AM
Re: A 564 discussion

Though you mention in your answer that you need not have Monk levels to use Stunning Fist, you do need monk levels to use Stunning Fist and the assassin's death attack at the same time.
That's not correct. You need to use a melee weapon, and an unarmed strike is a melee (as opposed to ranged) weapon.

Simply having a natural weapon is not enough. I didn't make that claim; I merely pointed out that an unarmed strike is one type of natural weapon.
Stunning Fist requires an unarmed attack, and page 16 of the Rules Compendium notes that natural attacks and unarmed attacks are not the same. Only because a monk is considered armed while unarmed (PHB page 41, Rules Compendium page 16) is your answer correct. Again, that's not right, either. Having Monk levels is only one of the ways to be considered armed while unarmed.
Sometimes a creature’s unarmed attack counts as an armed attack. A monk, a character who has the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, and a spellcaster delivering a touch attack spell all count as armed. Since the Improved Unarmed Strike feat is a prerequisite for Stunning Fist, no Monk levels are required to use that feat with a death attack.

cd4
2010-10-07, 12:18 PM
Q565

Is there any way apart from the manouver Moment of Perfect Mind that stops a natural 1 on a will save being an auto-fail?

Q566

Do bracers of armour, mage armour or shield clash with the monk's AC bonus?

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 12:32 PM
A 565 For will saves, no. For fort saves, there is the Steadfast Determination feat in the PHBII. Sadly, there is no comperable feat for any other save in published WotC content.

A 566 No. While they grant Armor or Shield bonuses to AC, they are not armor or shields. They will not impede a monk's unarmored abilities.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-07, 12:48 PM
A 565 additional info

The granted power of the Clerical Pride domain is to let you reroll any 1 on a saving throw, once per die. The Luck domain granted power lets you reroll any die, once per day. The Dumb Luck feat (Complete Scoundrel) lets you treat a natural 1 on a saving throw as a natural 20. Survivor's Luck (also CS) lets you reroll any saving throw that you just failed.

BeholderSlayer
2010-10-07, 01:06 PM
Q567:The Arcane Strike feat is confusing me. It states you gain the attack bonus for a number of rounds equal to the spells level, as well as damage at 1d4XSpell level sacrificed. However, the example given states that the +4 attack bonus and 4d4 damage only last until his next turn.

Of course, I don't read the first paragraph that way at all. I read it such that he would gain the +4 bonus for 4 rounds, and for those 4 rounds he would gain 1d4 X 4 damage, meaning either 4, 8, 12, or 16 damage (roll 1d4, multiply it times spell level).

Is the example given wrong?

OMG PONIES
2010-10-07, 02:00 PM
A567: No, the example is consistent with the text. The bonus on attacks and damage lasts for one round.

...you gain a bonus on all your attack rolls for 1 round equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, as well as extra damage equal to 1d4 points x the level of the spell sacrificed.

Q568: Do bonuses from Arcane Strike stack? For example, could I sacrifice 4 1st-level spells in one turn for +4 to attacks and +(4 x 1d4) damage? Though they are from the same source, the bonuses are untyped.

Douglas
2010-10-07, 02:03 PM
A567

You are misreading the text. The exact wording is

you gain a bonus on all your attack rolls for 1 round equal to the level of the spell sacrificed
It is the bonus, not the duration, that equals the spell level. The duration is always 1 round.

As for the extra damage, you are correct that by RAW you would roll a single die and multiply its result by the spell level. The intent is obviously one die per spell level, however.

cd4
2010-10-07, 02:52 PM
Q569

With the Apostle of Peace Class in the Book of Exalted Deeds, there is a clash between two abilities. The class says:

As part of their sacred vows, apostles of peace forswear the
use of armor, though they may wear magic items that protect
them (such as a ring of protection or bracers of armor). An apostle of
peace who wears any armor is unable to cast apostle of
peace spells or use any of his supernatural
class abilities while doing so and for 24
hours thereafter.

The class also says it requires the Vow of Poverty feat, the feat says:

You have taken a sacred vow to forswear material possessions.
Prerequisites: Sacred Vow.
Benefit: You gain bonuses to your Armor Class, ability scores,
and saving throws, as well as bonus exalted feats, all depending on
your character level. See Voluntary Poverty in Chapter 2 for details.
Special: To fulfill your vow, you must not own or use any
material possessions, with the following exceptions: You may
carry and use ordinary (neither magic nor masterwork) simple
weapons, usually just a quarterstaff that serves as a walking
stick. You may wear simple clothes (usually just a homespun
robe, possibly also including a hat and sandals) with no magical
properties. You may carry enough food to sustain you for one
day in a simple (nonmagic) sack or bag. You may carry and use a
spell component pouch. You may not use any magic item of any
sort, though you can benefit from magic items used on your
behalf—you can drink a potion of cure serious wounds a friend
gives you, receive a spell cast from a wand, scroll, or staff, or ride
on your companion’s ebony fly. You may not, however, “borrow” a
cloak of resistance or any other magic item from a companion for
even a single round, nor may you yourself cast a spell from a
scroll, wand, or staff.
If you break your vow, you immediately and irrevocably lose
the benefit of this feat. You may not take another feat to replace it.

Bolding the significant part. So my question is which one is true? If I am an Apostle of Peace could I use magic items and get the bonuses for the Vow of Poverty?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-07, 03:07 PM
A 569

Both sections you quoted are correct.
REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become an apostle of peace, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.To enter into any Apostle of Peace level you must qualify for the Vow of Poverty feat, which forbids use of magic items. However, when you use the class features of the Apostle of Peace you may opt to use magical protection, which means losing the benefits of Vow of Poverty.

Only a few prestige classes are required to maintain their entry requirements continuously, and Apostle of Peace is not one of those.

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 03:12 PM
A 568: The general consensus is that the bonus to hit, being from the same source, does not stack. The rules say nothing about bonus dice and their inherant stackability, however, so they are generally assumed to stack. If you sacrifice a 5th level spell and 4 1st level spells, you'd get a +5 to hit and +9d4 damage per swing.

A 569 BoED is a notoriously crappy book with notoriously BAD editing. There is no right or wrong answer for that. You'd best consult your DM. My guess is that AoP contains some copy/pasta errors from some other class, and that they are fully subject to the rules for VoPoverty.

Edhelras
2010-10-07, 03:38 PM
Q570

I've always wondered: When you place your Web spell - does it have to be placed horisontally over a 20 ft radius - or can you place it in an angle or even vertically?

What I'm thinking is whether you can for instance close off a tunnel (that is, to a maximum of 40 ft diameter of circular tunnel - or something smaller than that, like an ordinary dungeon corridor) with such a vertically placed Web?

Such a placement would prevent movement, but also for creatures able to fly. Yet it would be faster to go through the web - only one square.
In the same vein I wound how thick is actually the web - does it fill the entirity of a 5 ft cube, or is it only a thin sheet?

tyckspoon
2010-10-07, 03:57 PM
A 570

Unless otherwise specified a spell with an area given as a radius will affect a spherical area. The web will fill the same area as a Fireball spell placed at a given spot- you don't have to choose an orientation for the Web any more than you have to choose what plane the Fireball explodes in.

Edhelras
2010-10-07, 04:04 PM
A 570

Unless otherwise specified a spell with an area given as a radius will affect a spherical area. The web will fill the same area as a Fireball spell placed at a given spot- you don't have to choose an orientation for the Web any more than you have to choose what plane the Fireball explodes in.

Ah, thanks, I should've thought of that.

As a follow-up: can that spell be cast into an underwater tunnel as well? What I'm thinking of is casting it into a tunnel with the upper half is air, the lower half is filled with running water. Will the Web spell then function as a grate (or rather, a stopping ball), filling out also the watery part of the passage?

[I mean: Can I use the Web spell to prevent someone from being swept away in an underground river, and possibly even give them a means to climb out of the water?]

WinWin
2010-10-07, 04:44 PM
Q571 The Bloodwind spell allows melee attacks to be resolved at range. Do effects triggered by a natural attack (energy drain, poison, imp. grab, etc) interact with the spell?

Xyk
2010-10-07, 05:22 PM
A531: The velociraptors in Jurassic Park were actually Deinonychus, but Spielburg renamed them with the coolest name he found in all of dromaeosaruidae, "Velociraptor". If you want to stat out a TRUE Velociraptor, it is a Small creature. However, D&D has an alternate set of Deinonychus stats, the Clawfoot from Eberron, which is supposed to be a true Velociraptor. I would personally just take the stats of a Clawfoot, and make it small, reduing its strength to 15 and and increasing its dex to 19 and making it's talons much smaller.

However, if you want an actual BADASS dinosaur... welll... there are a few options, or you can houserule it. Here are the droameousarids written up in D&D that I know of. Fleshraker has no real world equivalent, btw.

SRD:
Deinonychus (Carver)
Megaraptor (Great Carver)
MM3
Fleshraker
EbCS
Velociraptor (Clawfoot)

Thanks, man. I didn't even think to look in Eberron. I will use the clawfoot and maybe use the small-sized stats. I do have another question though.

Q572
With skills on Monsters, do you add the given racial bonus to given skill bonus? Howabout the stat bonus?

For instance, Apes have +14 to climb, a +5 strength modifier, and a +8 racial modifier; would they have +14, +19, +22, or +27?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-07, 05:38 PM
A 572 No.

The skills for monsters already take into account levels, racial bonuses, and ability bonuses; they're designed to be used directly.

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-07, 05:52 PM
Thanks, man. I didn't even think to look in Eberron. I will use the clawfoot and maybe use the small-sized stats. I do have another question though.

A531, discussion...

If you do use small clawfoot stats, they aren't hardcore at ALL... don't set up THOSE as a 'big' challenge... an adventuring party should carve through those like a hot knife through butter. Set up those as your way of showing that you do know that real life velociraptors are about as threatening as a 60 pound dog... and then you use stats for the BIGGER MEANER dromaeousaurs as the *real* threat, per that image I showed you.

I'd say make a Medium Deinonychus the main 'medium' size threat, and the larger, "Megaraptor" the main 'large-holy-crap-we're-all-going-to-die" threat, calling it a Utahraptor or Achillobater.

So:
'Carver' reduced to small = real life Velociraptor, a pushover. give them some swarmfighting feats if you still want them to be a threat.
Deinonychus = what you saw in the movies, what the book was about, ie, Deinonychus
'Megaraptor' = a real threat to adventurers, call it a Utahraptor or Achillobater. IRL, this was thought to be a dromaeosaur, but it isn't, so use the stats and rename it to what is REALLY one of the larger dromaeosaurs, ie, the two I mentioned.

Q573: What is the name of that prestige class that, if you have telepathy, it lets you know where all thinking creatures in a certain radius of you are, again? And where is it?

Grynning
2010-10-07, 06:43 PM
A 573: Don't know about a PrC, but what you're describing sounds like the feat Mindsight from Lords of Madness.

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-07, 06:45 PM
A 573

That's the feat Mindsight, which can be found on page 126 of Lords of Madness. You're probably thinking about the Mindbender class (Complete Arcane page 54), which grants telepathy (which is required to use Mindsight). Your confusion is understandable since when people suggest the class they typically assume you'll take the feat.

Thurbane
2010-10-07, 07:02 PM
A 565 additional info

The granted power of the Clerical Pride domain is to let you reroll any 1 on a saving throw, once per die. The Luck domain granted power lets you reroll any die, once per day. The Dumb Luck feat (Complete Scoundrel) lets you treat a natural 1 on a saving throw as a natural 20. Survivor's Luck (also CS) lets you reroll any saving throw that you just failed.
A 565 continued
The Protected Destiny feat (RoD) also allows you to re-roll a natural 1 on a save, 1/day.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-07, 07:21 PM
Q 574 (re Q570): can a spell that creates a sphere (like Web) be cast so that its center is in mid-air?

Duke of URL
2010-10-07, 07:26 PM
A 574

In general, yes, however, web specifically states

These masses must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else the web collapses upon itself and disappears

OMG PONIES
2010-10-07, 07:57 PM
A574 discussion: yes, but casting it centered in midair so those two points are floor and ceiling is allowed?

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-07, 08:13 PM
A 574 discussion

Yes. All you need is two points on either end touching a solid object. You could have a 40-foot tall area of web between a floor and a ceiling, for example.

ranagrande
2010-10-07, 09:59 PM
Q 575

To follow up on Q562, does that mean that a level 1 gestalt Rogue//Spellthief would begin with +2d6 sneak attack damage?

Edhelras
2010-10-08, 06:33 AM
Q576

Is there any RAW way to Detect disease in a person?

If you know you have been exposed to the disease, but you don't know the Fort save result (it was made secretly by the DM). Can the character know that he's on his way to contract the disease?

I was thinking that a Heal check could be used for this, though I'm unsure about the DC in that case.

Duke of URL
2010-10-08, 06:47 AM
A 575

No. When the same ability is progressed on both sides simultaneously, only the faster rate of progression is used.

As a note, RAW answers regarding gestalt are often difficult because the "rules" are more like guidelines and do not fully account for many of the even common ways that ingenious players can employ to break the system

powerdemon
2010-10-08, 07:40 AM
q 548

Does a creature affected by a charm spell remember or in any way know after the spell affect ends, that it was charmed?

A 548

Since the spell description doesn't say otherwise, the subject of the spell should be aware that a spell had been cast upon it after the effect is over. The trickier question is would the subject still know if you were able to cast the spell without him/her knowing it? I don't think there's a RAW answer to that.

Does anyone know if there is a RAW answer to that? :smallwink:

Q 577
What is the first level that a Warlock can take the Maximize Spell-Like Ability feat for his Eldricht Blast? The feat says it only works on abilities that emulate a spell level no higher than 1/2 your level -2. Well the blast is always 1/2 your level until after 18th level. Does that mean you can't take it until epic levels?

The example used in the feat is a 10th level warlock, but that doesn't make sense. Or am I missing something?

Q 578
How about Quicken Spell-like ability?

Douglas
2010-10-08, 08:34 AM
Does anyone know if there is a RAW answer to that? :smallwink:
The rules do not provide for any automatic way for a creature to know after a spell wears off that it was affected by a spell. A character who knows about spells like Charm Person, typically through ranks in Spellcraft, could reasonably think about his behavior and attitude and conclude through logic that he had been Charmed, but there's no RAW process to determine if this happens.

A577

Complete Arcane errata changed Eldritch Blast to always be level 1. If you are using a Blast Shape or Eldritch Essence, it instead uses the highest level of invocation used. For taking the feat you'd use the base level, so you could take Maximize SLA at level 6.

A578

Again thanks to errata for Eldritch Blast, you qualify for the feat at level 10. You don't normally get a feat at that level, though, so you'd normally have to wait for level 12.

OMG PONIES
2010-10-08, 09:00 AM
Q576

Is there any RAW way to Detect disease in a person?

This I can't answer for you.

If you know you have been exposed to the disease, but you don't know the Fort save result (it was made secretly by the DM). Can the character know that he's on his way to contract the disease?

I was thinking that a Heal check could be used for this, though I'm unsure about the DC in that case.

Unfortunately, no. A Heal check can be used to treat the disease, but not detect it. According to the SRD, "...these fortitude saves can be rolled secretly so that the player doesn't know whether the disease has taken hold."

A 577 discussion: There's errata to Complete Arcane (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a). Ninjas!

A 578 clarification: A caster level of 8 is the only prerequisite for Quicken Spell-Like Ability, so you could take the feat at 9th level. However, you wouldn't be able to quicken Eldritch Blast (a 1st-level SLA) until you reach 10th level. Sorry, that was the prerequisite in Savage Species. The 3.5 Monster Manual has it updated to require a caster level of 10.

Duke of URL
2010-10-08, 09:04 AM
A 577, 578, additional

Note that both answers apply only to an unmodified Eldritch Blast. If you wish to add shapes or essences, you will need additional invoker levels to meet the minimum "caster level" requirement.

powerdemon
2010-10-08, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all of the answers folks. I just can't keep up with all of the errata :P.

Rasman
2010-10-08, 06:58 PM
Q579 Divine casters, like a druid, only need to meditate for an hour to set their spells for the day, but can they meditate and reset their spells more than once a day or are they set until the next day?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-08, 11:39 PM
A 579

Divine spellcasters cannot reset their spells more than once a day, but they can leave spell slots unfilled, and decide what to put in them later in that day.
A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once. However, the character’s mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell. The time required is proportional to the percentage of total spells, but always a minimum of 15 minutes.

Aron Times
2010-10-09, 01:18 AM
Q 580

Does my shapeshifted druid (PHB 2) benefit from wild armor and shields (PHB 1, allows wearer to keep AC bonus even in wildshape)? Also, what other items can a shapeshift variant druid benefit from while shapeshifted?

Thank you in advance.

Runestar
2010-10-09, 04:06 AM
Q 580

Does my shapeshifted druid (PHB 2) benefit from wild armor and shields (PHB 1, allows wearer to keep AC bonus even in wildshape)? Also, what other items can a shapeshift variant druid benefit from while shapeshifted?

Thank you in advance.

None, since technically, shapeshift is not wildshape. That and the whole idea is to get rid of the entire armoured bear syndrome. The only benefits which would carry over are spells and feats.

cd4
2010-10-09, 06:34 AM
Q581

I am currently making a ridiculously high CR creature by stacking templates, Can I add lots of half- templates to the base creature?

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-09, 06:41 AM
A 581 Absolutely!

WotC generally regards creatures with multiple Half-Something templates to be the offspring/decendants of all the various creatures or half-creatures that it would take to equal whatever you make.

Just be sure to check the order of application to make sure that the creature always qualifies for each template you wish to apply!

cd4
2010-10-09, 08:13 AM
Q582

If I am a lycanthorpe and have an aquatic creature as my animal form, when in hybrid form do I have trouble breathing because I am water-based on land?

Duke of URL
2010-10-09, 11:46 AM
A 582

The lycanthrope template does not change the base creature type (except to give it the shapechanger subtype). The hybrid form says nothing about changes to type beyond that.

Therefore, if the base creature does not have the Aqautic subtype, the hybrid form doesn't either, meaning it needs no special ability to breathe on land.

It's more arguable that the hybrid wouldn't be able to breathe in water, as that isn't explicitly listed as a special quality of the base animal.

Edhelras
2010-10-09, 05:41 PM
Q583

Is it possible to make more than one (Tenser's) Floating disc? If you got lots of loot to drag home from the dungeon.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-09, 05:57 PM
A 583 Yes.

Nothing in the spell description prohibits you from casting it multiple times, and the duration is 1 hour/level, so you certainly could have more than one.

ffone
2010-10-10, 01:37 AM
Q584

Two parties are parlaying (speaking, already aware of each other, etc.) I presume being the first one to try to attack doesn't grant a surprise round, since the counterparty is already aware of you. What if you, say, start to cast Teleport to whisk your party away from the scene? Are you guarnateed to get that 'first' or does the counterparty get a chance to roll initiative and try to attack or otherwise prevent you from getting away? What if it's a spell-like ability (or you're using Disguise Spell or Still Spell + Silence Spell?) Drawing a hidden weapon?

Q585

Many illusion spells, such as Disguise Self, say something like "A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a Will save to recognize it as an illusion." What counts as interacting? Looking at suspiciously? Talking to? Shaking hands? Fighting?

Also, Disguise Self says "If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check." Does this mean that anyone can 'see through' Disguise Self with a sufficient Spot check? Or does this clause refer to something more specific, like using Disguise Self to imitate a particular individual?

Xefas
2010-10-10, 03:34 AM
Q586

On page 54 of Magic of Incarnum, the table abbreviates the powers of the Planar Chasuble souldmeld as "Gain alignment subtype, resistance to energy based on alignment".

However, I am unsure if the full description of the Planar Chasuble on page 83 actually states if an alignment subtype is granted or not. Its wording confuses me, so could someone a bit more savvy clarify for me?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-10, 04:21 AM
A 584

From Dungeon Master's Guide, page 23:
If both sides are aware at the same time and can interact, both should roll initiative and resolve actions normally. If there's no surprise round, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to execute any action before other characters act. Remember, when you were thinking of casting Teleport, they could have been thinking of grappling you.

ffone
2010-10-10, 05:08 AM
Q584 clarification request

What if, say, the other group was planning only to attack/grapple if the other side tried to attack or cast something or get away? In other words, they wouldn't be chance happen to attempt a grapple at the same time as the Teleport (i.e. just before or just after, depending on initiative) - but in reaction to it?

Or another way to ask the question (perhaps not a question about RAW) if the other side still gets a chance to prevent a Teleport that's Stilled/Silenced/whatever, how might a DM portray it, or justify (within the game world) the NPCs' intervention to the players?

Sliver
2010-10-10, 05:25 AM
Assume that you are always acting in initiative, just out of combat it is ignored. If they plan on attacking you if you try to cast a spell, it's a readied action. If they can't perceive the spell being cast, they can't react to it and you can cast the spell without their readied action going off.

If you want to cast a spell when nobody else has any combat action, it's as if everybody skipped their actions while you acted. If they would react to you casting a spell, you won't roll initiative before casting the spell and if you lose initiative they act before you casted your spell, because they wouldn't act before that.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-10, 07:25 AM
Re: Q 584 clarification request

It seems like you're trying to add elaboration that's been purposely simplified out of the D&D system. As Sliver said, if the other group was planning to act in response to some hostile action you might take: that's a readied action. As a readied action is simply a plan, there's nothing visible to you until you try to act and find yourself interrupted. (Since speaking is a free action that can be taken even when it's not your turn, the opposing characters could stand around having a conversation with you while they've readied a response.)

A spell with no manifestations that would let the other characters know to set their plan in place wouldn't trigger anything, so you could execute a Silent, Still Teleport for yourself without fear of interruption. But if you tried to touch your companions in order to bring them along, that would trigger an opponent's readied action.

cd4
2010-10-10, 10:56 AM
Q587

A spell has a DC 10+casting stat+level. Is there any other way to increase the DC of your spells?

Q588

What is the formula for making Dorjes (Psionic Wands) with augmented powers?

Urpriest
2010-10-10, 11:02 AM
Q589

Are jumps made with the Tiger Claw maneuver Sudden Leap made as if with a running start?

Q590

Does using a swift or immediate action that grants movement prevent someone from making a five foot step?

Shademan
2010-10-10, 12:03 PM
Q591
where are the rules for anthropormorhpic animals located?
I have heard of the dreaded antro bat druid etc

Urpriest
2010-10-10, 12:11 PM
A591

Savage Species

Zherog
2010-10-10, 12:30 PM
Q587

A spell has a DC 10+casting stat+level. Is there any other way to increase the DC of your spells?

A 587

Well, the obvious answers are Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-10, 01:08 PM
A 589 No.

The Tiger Claw Leaping Dragon Stance changes that, however.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-10, 01:10 PM
A 590 Yes.
You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. It doesn't matter what action is involved in that movement.

Kallisti
2010-10-10, 01:23 PM
Q 592 A
A friend tells me that it's not allowed to end your round in another creature's space if you're both medium, while I thought that you could do so, but took the penalties for squeezing. Which of us is correct?

Q 592 B
Do you deal weapon damage at any point during a trip attempt, and if so, when?

Zherog
2010-10-10, 01:53 PM
Q 592 A
A friend tells me that it's not allowed to end your round in another creature's space if you're both medium, while I thought that you could do so, but took the penalties for squeezing. Which of us is correct?

A 592 A

Your friend is correct.

Ending Your Movement

You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.
Square Occupied by Creature Three Sizes Larger or Smaller

Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is.

A big creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories smaller than it is.
Designated Exceptions

Some creatures break the above rules. A creature that completely fills the squares it occupies cannot be moved past, even with the Tumble skill or similar special abilities.

Q 592 B
Do you deal weapon damage at any point during a trip attempt, and if so, when?

A 592 B

No, though Improved Trip allows you to make an attack after a successful trip, which can (obviously) deal damage. In addition, some special abilities (such as that possessed by wolves) allow you to attempt a trip after a successful attack.

powerdemon
2010-10-10, 04:37 PM
Q 593

What are some cheap/free ways to heal ability damage besides natural healing? Preferably something with unlimited uses per day, or cheap enough to use many times per day.

Q 594

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for an armor material for a light armor for a warlock?

CockroachTeaParty
2010-10-10, 09:57 PM
Q 595

How does the Spring Attack feat interact with reach, reach weapons, and Combat Reflexes?

When using Spring Attack, it says that the movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defending creature (the target of the attack). If that creature has a reach weapon, and Combat Reflexes, would they still be able to make attacks of opportunity against the spring attacker?

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-10, 10:08 PM
A 595

No, because multiple squares of movement only count as one opportunity.

Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.

Andraste
2010-10-10, 10:22 PM
Q 596

If you buy a guard dog, do you have to have ranks in handle animal to make it attack things?

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-10, 10:30 PM
A 596 Yes. No. (See edit.)

By RAW, the basic usage of Handle Animal is getting the animal to perform some task or trick that it already knows. Trained animals will not Attack someone without being commanded to do so, unless you give them the command to Defend you. Either way, the base DC for this check is 10.

Handle an Animal

This task involves commanding an animal to perform a task or trick that it knows. If the animal is wounded or has taken any nonlethal damage or ability score damage, the DC increases by 2. If your check succeeds, the animal performs the task or trick on its next action.

Since Handle Animal is a "trained only" skill, you cannot make the check if you do not have at least 1 rank.

EDIT: Actually, looks like the basic usage of Handle Animal does not require you to be trained. You actually can give commands to domesticated animals without any ranks in the skill.

Untrained

If you have no ranks in Handle Animal, you can use a Charisma check to handle and push domestic animals, but you can’t teach, rear, or train animals. A druid or ranger with no ranks in Handle Animal can use a Charisma check to handle and push her animal companion, but she can’t teach, rear, or train other nondomestic animals.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-10, 11:04 PM
Re: A 596

You should note a couple of salient points regarding Handle Animal:

You can't "take 10" on this skill in combat.
Ownership of the animal confers no special benefits for skill checks. If you don't succeed on your initial Handle Animal check to get the animal to attack, there's nothing preventing someone else (including an enemy) from making their own Handle Animal check, including to have the guard dog attack you.

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-11, 12:24 AM
Q 596

If you buy a guard dog, do you have to have ranks in handle animal to make it attack things?

A596:

Well, that depends... when you buy it, does it have the Attack trick? The attack unusual trick? The Guard trick? The Warn trick? The Defend trick? Is it trained for a specific purpose, with a collection of particular tricks? What purpose is that? Is it trained for 'Guarding'? 'Combat riding'? 'Fighting'? 'Defensive guarding'? 'Advanced Fighting'? Something else? Because if you bought it and it HAD the attack trick, it will automatically attack apparent enemies that are humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, or other animals. And you don't have to have handle animal *ranks* to teach it particular tricks. You just have to have at least one half rank to be able to use that skill (which can be gotten with some skill spells) and be able to reach the DC of the trick you are trying to teach the animal reliably after a week's worth of work, and yes you can take 10 on that check, provided you have at least one virtual rank in the skill.

ffone
2010-10-11, 01:58 PM
Q597

Can creatures be tripped in a No Gravity environment, such as the ethereal plane?

ffone
2010-10-11, 02:22 PM
Q598

Can a character jump vertically as a 5' step (assuming they make the DC 40 check for a vertial 5' jump with no running start)? If so, can they (full) attack at the apex of the jump?

(Since falling is a free action I'm guessing this wouldn't count as 'attacking during the middle of a move' which normally requires Spring Attack.)

Curmudgeon
2010-10-11, 02:40 PM
A 597 No.

Tripping causes the creature to fall to the ground prone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#prone). Without falling, tripping has no effect.

A 598

The character could Jump 5' upward, but could not attack at the apex of the jump without some other capability. Although falling itself takes no action, it is not a free action, because the PC cannot decide to take that action. Rather, falling is out of the character's control.

cd4
2010-10-11, 04:13 PM
Q599

Could I create a +5(+5X)/+5(+5X) Quarterstaff that can cast spells like an ordinary staff?

Q600

a) Can I cast Contingency or the spell to be contingent from a staff/wand/scroll?
b) Could I imbue an item with the ability to cast Contingent (Any Spell) limited times per day?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-11, 06:19 PM
A 599

Yes, but it would be an Epic magic item, costing over 4,000,000 gp.

A 600

a) Contingency could be cast from a scroll or triggered from a staff, but not a wand. The contingent spell could also be derived from some item. The caster level intrinsic in the stored Contingency spell would set the limits for the contingent spell.

b) No.

There are no rules for creating items that would allow any spell to be used. The only such item I know of is an Artifact, and those cannot be created under the rules.

ericgrau
2010-10-11, 06:21 PM
Q 601

Does a levitate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/levitate.htm)d creature provoke an attack of opportunity when I move it upwards? Even if I'm not the one being levitated? If I'm levitating myself? I was thinking about using it as an "Oh snap my ally's about to die" spell.

How about moving creatures via other spells, such as telekinesis or reverse gravity? Using them on enemies to give allies attacks of opportunity?

Thurbane
2010-10-11, 06:51 PM
Q 602

If I am using a glaive (reach weapon), and a creature provokes an AoO in an adjacent square, I can make an AoO with my armor spikes. Does this attack take a TWF/offhand weapon penalty, or is it considered my primary weapon for this AoO?

Douglas
2010-10-11, 08:14 PM
A 599

Yes, but it would be an Epic magic item, costing over 4,000,000 gp.
It would be epic but only due to price, and price does not trigger the x10 price multiplier. It would cost 400,000 for the weapon properties plus some amount for the staff abilities. Unless the staff's selection of spells is a lot more powerful and varied than any standard staff, the total price would almost certainly stay below 600,000, or at the very most 700,000 gp.

ericgrau
2010-10-11, 08:53 PM
C599

Also as a clarification, 10th level and higher spells don't trigger the 10x multiplier. Nor does caster level 21 or higher. AFAIK (rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm#marketPrice)) it's limited to items that give +# bonuses that are higher than the normal limit.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-11, 11:55 PM
A 601 Yes.

Involuntary movement triggers attacks of opportunity unless there are rules specifically stating otherwise.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 12:03 AM
A 602

D&D 3.5 removed the Ambidexterity feat, essentially making all characters ambidextrous. Thus your primary "hand" is whichever you use first for any attack (standard action attack, full-round attack, or attack of opportunity). Also, unlike other attack penalties (examples: Power Attack, Monk flurry of blows) Two-Weapon Fighting's penalty does not persist until your next turn. So by attacking only with armor spikes you are choosing them as your primary weapon for that AoO, and have no penalty for that attack.

ffone
2010-10-12, 01:34 AM
Q603

If a target occupies multiple squares (i.e. is Large or larger), does an attacker threaten all those occupied squares / can the attacker choose to attack any of those squares? For example, if the attacker is wielding a reach weapon and the big creature's nearest occupied square is too close for the reach, can the attacker choose to attack one of the further squares?

Q604

Many illusion spells, such as Disguise Self, say something like "A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a Will save to recognize it as an illusion." What counts as interacting? Looking at suspiciously? Talking to? Shaking hands? Fighting?

Also, Disguise Self says "If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check." Does this mean that anyone can 'see through' Disguise Self with a sufficient Spot check? Or does this clause refer to something more specific, like using Disguise Self to imitate a particular individual?

Q605

The Ethereal Plane description has fluff text about being able to see onto the Material Plane but it being fuzzy. The Blink and Ethereal Jaunt spelsl have similar text, and also mentions vision onto the Material Plane (while ethereal) being limited to 60'. Is this true for being on the ethereal plane in general, or just when using these spells?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 02:56 AM
A 603

An attack of opportunity is against a creature, not a square. If the creature has provoked an AoO and you threaten a square it occupies, you can attack. The squares you threaten do not change.

ffone
2010-10-12, 03:40 AM
Q603 clarification

What about for a regular attack (not an AoO) - let's say the Medium PC is wielding a reach weapon, and a 15'x15' Huge creature is diagonally adjacent to them. The closest of the 9 occupied squares of the monster is inside the PC's threatened area (too close to hit) - can the PC attack the monster from where they stand (by 'aiming' at one of the two next-nearest occupied squares of the monster) or must they 5'-step back?

Q606

Even though characters w/o Combat Reflexes can't make AoOs before they've had a turn in combat, are they considered to 'threaten' foes for purposes if their allies meeting flanking conditions? (assuming they are armed and positioned correctly)

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 03:47 AM
A 604
Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)

Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion. Looking at an illusion is not interaction. You would typically need to touch or attack the illusion.

All illusions can be examined skeptically. A Spot check to try to see through a disguise is one way of doing that. (Note that if the first Spot check fails to perceive the illusion, retries will require move action Spot checks.) Whenever someone touches or attacks you they also make a Will save to disbelieve the Disguise Self illusion.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 03:54 AM
Re: Q 603 clarification

D&D doesn't have hit locations. You don't "aim" at a particular square if you can see it. Generally, you simply attack a creature if you can reach any of the squares it occupies.

The only special case is if you can see squares a creature occupies that you can't reach, but can't see the squares that you can reach. Then you could pick a square and if there actually is a creature in that square (even if not the one you think) you would have a 50% chance of hitting whatever is there with a successful attack.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 04:00 AM
A 606 Yes.
You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action. Though you may not (i.e. are not permitted to) make an attack of opportunity while flat-footed, you still threaten the squares you can reach with a melee attack.

Gralamin
2010-10-12, 04:02 AM
A 606 Yes. Though you may not (i.e. are not permitted to) make an attack of opportunity while flat-footed, you still threaten the squares you can reach with a melee attack.

A 606 Clarification

Unless you have the Combat Reflexes feat, in which case you can make an Attack of opportunity while flat-footed

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 04:03 AM
A 605

This is true for ethereal creatures generally.
An ethereal creature can see and hear into the Material Plane in a 60-foot radius, though material objects still block sight and sound. (An ethereal creature can’t see through a material wall, for instance.) An ethereal creature inside an object on the Material Plane cannot see. Things on the Material Plane, however, look gray, indistinct, and ghostly.

bokodasu
2010-10-12, 05:51 AM
Q607

Is there any reason I couldn't add all five energy resistances to one set of armor?

Gorbash
2010-10-12, 06:06 AM
Q 608

What's the difference between a 20 ft radius burst and 20 ft radius spread?

Duke of URL
2010-10-12, 06:37 AM
A 607

If you've got the resources to do so, it's perfectly legal.

A 608

The spell descriptions section of the SRD describes it as such:

Burst, Emanation, or Spread

Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.

So, basically, they're the same, except a spread can go around, in a limited manner, obstacles that would block a burst.

Tharck
2010-10-12, 10:37 AM
Q 609 Does the item that adds +2d6 to Eldritch Blast damage for warlocks also gain damage from Empower SLA? As such is there a rule somewhere which determines this? I know for weapons it likely wouldn't work. Does it also work on crits?

Duke of URL
2010-10-12, 10:40 AM
A 609

The damage provided from the item is from extra damage dice, and therefore would not be increased if using Empower SLA or Maximize SLA, nor would it be increased on a critical hit.

draconicgodking
2010-10-12, 10:49 AM
Q610 does the wand of shield exist in 3.5 and if so how much does it cost?

cd4
2010-10-12, 10:51 AM
Q600b) Clarification

What I wanted was to be able to cast a contingent spell in one go from a staff/scroll. The (any spell) was to mean I haven't chosen the spell yet.

Duke of URL
2010-10-12, 10:53 AM
A 610

While a wand of shield doesn't show up in the random treasure tables, it can be created using the normal item creation rules.

The cost is 375 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster, default 375 for a CL 1 version of the wand, which will generate a shield that lats for 1 minute per use.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 11:25 AM
Re: A 610
The cost is 375 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster
Please note that's the material cost if you're crafting the wand yourself (and you would need to also pay 1/25 the market price in XP). The market price is 750 gp x spell level x caster level.

draconicgodking
2010-10-12, 12:11 PM
allow me to retune my earlier question as i now know a shield wand isn't really worth it.
Q611what are the best items for a sorcerer to increase his AC?
(please Note that i said items not spells Like mage armor which i already have.)

Duke of URL
2010-10-12, 12:54 PM
Re: Q611

Asking subjective questions, such as "what are/is the best..." goes against the point of the thread, as they are not things that have RAW answers. From page 1:

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

A 611

Changing the question to "what items can a sorcerer use to increase his/her AC", here is a rather incomplete list of some items that can work:

* Bracers of Armor (armor)
* Amulet of Natural Armor (natural)
* Ring of Protection (deflection)
* Bracers of dexterity (dex bonus)
* "Defending" weapons (+1 bonus, untyped)
* "Twilight" armor (+1 bonus, -10% ASF)
* Githcraft or feycraft armor (-5% ASF)
* Thistledown padding (-5% ASF)
* Mithral armor (-10% ASF)

Last Laugh
2010-10-12, 04:52 PM
Q 612
Does the Dracolexi PrC (Races of the Dragon, page 80) have a limit on metamagic applications? (It would appear that a 10th level dracolexi can empower, widen, or extend one spell/round without adjusting casting time or spell level)
I ask because this seems a little bit strong, but I can't find anything in the text that keeps you from using Ssearth (free extend) with every spell you cast.

Dresil
2010-10-12, 05:29 PM
Q 613

Is Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike/other precision based damage limited to one bonus per turn?

Example: While under the effects of Greater Invisibility, can a rogue use a full attack and get three Sneak Attacks at once? How about the use of Manyshot?

Esser-Z
2010-10-12, 05:35 PM
A 613
The Rogue's sneak attack is not limited to any number of times per round. As long as he is attack a target denied its dex bonus or that he is flanking, he can Sneak Attack.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-12, 05:44 PM
A 612

The Dracolexi's draconic words can be used as many times a day as you want. The only restrictions are that you can only use 1 per round, and no creature can be targeted by the same word more than once in a 24 hour period (but that's not applicable to the free metamagic applications since the words don't have targets when used that way).

So yes, you can Extend every spell you cast, provided you only cast one spell a round and the spells qualify for augmentation by the Extend Spell feat by having a duration. Note that the "Empower of Widen" word can only be applied to [Fire] spells.

Tasroth
2010-10-12, 05:45 PM
A 613: Additional

One exception to this is Manyshot. The feat text specifically states that precision based damage only applies once, no matter how many arrows you fire.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-12, 05:53 PM
A 613 additional additional

Then there's an exception to the Manyshot exception, in the form of Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot), which specifically states that precision damage applies with every arrow. Basically, the whole purpose of feats is to provide exceptions to the normal rules, so they really don't provide much insight into the general rules.

draconicgodking
2010-10-12, 11:36 PM
Q614 in a 32 point buy system how many points do you need to get a stat to 19

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-13, 12:12 AM
A 614

As far as I know there are no published rules for buying base ability scores over 18. It is likely not intended to be done, considering normal rolling can never get you more than an 18.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-13, 12:16 AM
A 614 additional info

Claudius Maximus is correct. The rules for point buy are on page 169 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Point buy cannot create an ability score below 8, or above 18, before racial adjustments.

Esser-Z
2010-10-13, 06:40 AM
A 614 Thoughts
One could, however, extrapolate from the pattern, resulting in 19 and 20 each costing 4 points (for a total of 20 points for a 19).

Curmudgeon
2010-10-13, 07:02 AM
A 614 Thoughts
One could, however, extrapolate from the pattern, resulting in 19 and 20 each costing 4 points (for a total of 20 points for a 19).
While an interesting speculation, it is of course off-topic for this RAW thread.

bokodasu
2010-10-13, 07:45 AM
Q615

Is there a way (item, feat, spell, etc.) to apply weapon enchantments (like Keen or Flaming) to a natural weapon and/or unarmed strike?

Q616

Is there a difference between a natural weapon and an unarmed strike?

Duke of URL
2010-10-13, 08:00 AM
A 616

Yes. While many effects treat them similarly, natural attacks and unarmed strikes are different. For one, a creature is automatically proficient with its natural attacks but not unarmed strikes.

A 615

The necklace of natural weapons (Savage Species) can do so, though I believe the RAW interpretation is that it applies only to natural attacks and not unarmed strikes.

The Improved Critical essentially adds the keen or impact property to the selected weapon (which may be a natural attack or unarmed strike). Keen Strike [epic] turns a monk's unarmed strike into a 18-20 threat range.

Certain epic feats can add properties similar to weapon enhancements to a monk's unarmed strike, e.g., Righteous/Unholy Strike and Vorpal Strike.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-13, 08:06 AM
A 616

An unarmed strike is one type of natural weapon. (See below.) It has some unique characteristics, such as following the iterative attacks of manufactured weapons instead of the primary/secondary natural attack rules.

Re: A 615

The necklace of natural weapons (Savage Species) can do so, though I believe the RAW interpretation is that it applies only to natural attacks and not unarmed strikes.
Unarmed strikes are natural weapon attacks, so there's no problem there. Some RAW citations:
You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike.
You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang).
Magic fang gives one natural weapon of the subject a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. The spell can affect a slam attack, fist, bite, or other natural weapon. (The spell does not change an unarmed strike’s damage from nonlethal damage to lethal damage.)
A fanged ring grants its wearer the Improved Unarmed Strike feat and the Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) teat.

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-13, 12:08 PM
Q 617

What LA does the Shadow template from MotP give?

Q 618

When it says "Shadow creatures also have one additional supernatural
ability for every 4 HD they possess (minimum of one)", does that mean that from 1-7 HD you get one ability, then 2 abilities from 8-11, etc?

Curmudgeon
2010-10-13, 12:16 PM
A 617

There is no level adjustment listed for the Shadow Creature template in Manual of the Planes, meaning it's not suitable for use by player characters. However, this is a 3.5 D&D thread, and the 3.0 MotP template has been replaced by the 3.5 update in Lords of Madness (pages 167-168); that version has LA +2.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-13, 12:18 PM
A 618 Yes.

D&D always rounds down unless there are explicit instructions to the contrary.

Scarey Nerd
2010-10-13, 12:18 PM
A 617

There is no level adjustment listed for the Shadow Creature template in Manual of the Planes, meaning it's not suitable for use by player characters. However, this is a 3.5 D&D thread, and the 3.0 MotP template has been replaced by the 3.5 update in Lords of Madness (pages 167-168); that version has LA +2.

Q 617 clarification

Ah, I see that now, I always forget that MotP is 3rd edition :smallredface:

Tharck
2010-10-13, 12:56 PM
Q 619

Is it possible to have a Fiery, Shocking, Cold weapon to deal +1d6 fire, +1d6 lightning, +1d6 cold damage on each successful hit in addition to normal weapon damage?

Douglas
2010-10-13, 01:00 PM
A619

Yes.

Nohwl
2010-10-13, 01:59 PM
Q. 620

would i be able to use the feat planar touchstone with the catalouges of enlightenment to qualify for a prestige class that requires a domain?