PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-07, 03:37 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5.

If your question is about D&D 4e or some other system, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

abadguy
2010-07-16, 08:55 PM
Q1: (FIRST!) If you have natural attacks and monk unarmed strike, on a full attack, can you use all your natural attacks and then follow with an off-hand attack with unarmed strike? e.g the dragon monk who does his full attack routine and follows with a unarmed strike, all attacks taking TWF penalties.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 09:04 PM
Q1: (FIRST!) If you have natural attacks and monk unarmed strike, on a full attack, can you use all your natural attacks and then follow with an off-hand attack with unarmed strike? e.g the dragon monk who does his full attack routine and follows with a unarmed strike, all attacks taking TWF penalties.

Q1: Generally with a full-attack, you would do your unarmed strikes first (or sword attacks, whatever you use with iterative attacks) then proceed to natural attacks, taking the -5 penalty on all attacks unless you have multiattack, in which case they'd fall down to -2. You could combine that with TWFing, but I think the rules may switch it Multi-weapon Fighting, so I'm unsure.

PId6
2010-07-16, 09:04 PM
Q 2

Are you allowed to make secondary natural attacks before your primary ones?

Sliver
2010-07-17, 12:27 AM
A 2

Unless you have no penalty to your secondary attacks, no. You are limited to making attacks by order of highest bonus to lowest, as per the PHB, page 143.

you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest.

This is the general rule for full attacks which is not contradicted for secondary weapons.

Math_Mage
2010-07-17, 01:11 AM
Q3: Is a character wearing Blurring or Greater Blurring armor (MIC p. 9) able to make a Hide check whenever the armor is activated?

Sliver
2010-07-17, 01:18 AM
A3 Yes

Originally posted by Concealment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#concealment)
You can use concealment to make a Hide check.

The spell, Blur, which the armor mimics, gives you concealment, so you can use it to make hide checks. Of course, not if you are observed.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-17, 01:27 AM
Q 4

Suppose I have a spell of instantaneous duration that has an effect with a duration listed in rounds (or minutes, etc). Is there any way to extend the duration of that effect? If a specific example helps, is there any way to extend the daze effect on Orb of Fire? (Repeat spell doesn't count for the purposes of this inquiry.)

Runestar
2010-07-17, 01:50 AM
Q 4

Suppose I have a spell of instantaneous duration that has an effect with a duration listed in rounds (or minutes, etc). Is there any way to extend the duration of that effect? If a specific example helps, is there any way to extend the daze effect on Orb of Fire? (Repeat spell doesn't count for the purposes of this inquiry.)

None that I am ware of, sadly. Or at least, not directly.

There is the energy gestalt feat in complete mage. If you hit an enemy with a acid spell followed by a fire spell, you may nauseate the foe for 1 round.

Superglucose
2010-07-17, 01:53 AM
Q 4

Extend Spell will not work. I'll let someone else finish the ruling; however.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-17, 02:02 AM
Q4: As the listed duration is Instantaneous, neither Extend nor Persist Spell will be of any use, so I am strongly inclined to say "no" on all accounts.

However, planar traits which automatically apply metamagic feats to various spells, may bypass this, but I am not certain.

Ossian
2010-07-17, 05:49 AM
Q5

Hello there. My question is: on the unearthed aracana: defense bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) it seems to suggest you have to use your best bonus to defense for the character level. This looks mega broken to me, because you could thus be a wizard 19 / fighter 1 and get a bonus of +12 to AC instead of just +8.
My real-case is a level 13 character, more specifically a Monk 11/duelist 2. Monk i column A and Duelist (full BaB) should be column D. What is the defense bonus?
+5 (monk 11) or + 6 (class D, level 2) or +10 (total character level 13, class D) as the rule seems to suggest?

Thnx.

Ossian

Sliver
2010-07-17, 06:12 AM
A5

+5 (monk 11) or + 6 (class D, level 2) or +10 (total character level 13, class D) as the rule seems to suggest?

The rules don't suggest it, they say it. It's +10. See clarification below.

For example, a 2nd-level barbarian has a defense bonus of +4. If the character gains a level of cleric (becoming a 2nd-level barbarian/1st-level cleric), her defense bonus increases to +7, because the cleric’s +7 at 3rd character level is better than the barbarian’s +5 at 3rd character level.

Math_Mage
2010-07-17, 06:14 AM
A5 Clarification

Your general interpretation is correct: a multiclass character uses the best bonus for its character level among its classes. So a Wizard 19/Fighter 1 would have a Defense Bonus of +12, although it's unlikely a Wizard would need the extra AC more than the extra CL given the possibilities available with even moderate optimization at level 20.

However, in the specific case of your Monk 11/Duelist 2, the character would have a Defense Bonus of +6, not +10. This is because the classes are sorted by armor proficiency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm#defenseBonusesForOtherClasses), not by BAB progression. The Duelist gains no proficiency with armor, and so is classified as Type A like the Monk, not Type D like the Fighter.

Thieves
2010-07-17, 09:50 AM
Q 6:

A: Can divine spells be normally used with metamagic feats?

B: Where does the turning-fueled metamagic come from? (as in, which book under what term?)

C: Can metamagic be Always applied to spontaneously-cast spells (sorcerers / bards)? Meaning, is it core and all?

I know these are kinda beginner...

Sliver
2010-07-17, 09:59 AM
A 6

Unless a feat specifies it can only be used on arcane spells, divine spells are just fine. You can metamagic divine spells.

Divine Metamagic is in Complete Divine, page 80. Note the errata added that you have to have the metamagic feat that DMM (Divine MetaMagic) applies to.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-17, 10:10 AM
A 6C

Not sure exactly what you mean by "always," but spontaneous casters like the sorcerer can apply metamagic effects to their spells spontaneously. Since this is done during the casting of the spell, it increases the casting time to a full-round action (or if the spell normally takes longer than a standard action to cast, it increases the casting time by an extra full-round action).

If you meant having a metamagic effect automatically applied to your spells with no increase in the spell slot used, certain prestige classes have class features that can do that in some cases. (Example: the Abjurant Champion from Complete Mage gets a class feature that automatically applies the Extend Spell metamagic to all their abjuration spells.)

Roc Ness
2010-07-18, 02:26 AM
Q7
Can a Martial Strike Maneuver that requires a full round action to initiate (eg. Flashing Sun, Time Stands Still) be applied to the Eldritch Glaive invocation?

PId6
2010-07-18, 02:34 AM
A 7

No they cannot. Eldritch Glaive is an invocation that requires a full-round action to cast. Those maneuvers require full-round actions to initiate. Thus, you cannot use both together at the same time.

Runestar
2010-07-18, 09:11 AM
Q8) If a hellfire warlock uses eldritch glaive in conjunction with hellfire blast to add +6d6 fire damage to each of his 3 attacks, does he take 1con or 3con damage per full attack?

What about other multi-hitting invocations such as eldritch chain, doom or cone? Does he need to spend only 1 point of con to affect everyone within the AoE, or 1 point of con per target?

Ossian
2010-07-18, 10:14 AM
Q9

Essentially, where does the difference lie between UMD and Spellcraft? It is not quite a rules question as an effectiveness issue, for my Rog 1/Wiz 11. The character is supposed to have picked up magic through wit, study, trial and error and the right company. Then he found a proper mentor and advanced through the learning stages. The question is thus more: does Spell-craft replace UMD entirely?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-18, 10:26 AM
A 8 3 CON damage.
If your base attack bonus is +6 or higher, you can (as part of the full-round action) make as many attacks with your eldritch glaive as your base attack bonus allows.The multiple attacks afforded by Eldritch Glaive are an option under player control.
Each time you use this ability, you take 1 point of onstitution damage. Each time you decide to make an additional attack you're choosing to use Hellfire Blast. You take 1 CON damage for each use.

Eldritch Chain also creates new ranged touch attacks for additional targets, so it creates new uses of Hellfire Blast. Eldritch Cone, on the other hand, does not create new ranged touch attacks, so it will not increase the CON damage from Hellfire Blast.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-18, 10:28 AM
A9
That's not really a RAW question and probably isn't appropriate for this thread. If anything it's a flavor question (but if you ask me you'd have some ranks in UMD but full Spellcraft, because you still remember the trial-and-error).

Q10
When adding extra hit dice to an animal companion (such as that granted by the druid class), does the animal companion increase in size when it would normally advance?

For example, wolves are listed as advancing to large at 4-6 HD. Would the 2 bonus HD granted at level 3 from the druid class then increase the wolf to large size?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-18, 10:38 AM
A 9

Spellcraft and Use Magic Device are largely complementary skills. Spellcraft will let you identify magic being cast, but can never let your Wizard use a divine scroll, or trigger a spell from a wand or staff not on their class list. UMD can let you complete a spell from a scroll, or trigger a spell from a wand or staff, regardless of the type (divine/arcane) or whether the spell is on your list. But UMD won't tell you anything about magic that someone else is casting or triggering.

The two skills overlap where scrolls are concerned, because scrolls are both items to activate and spells that are not completely cast. Spellcraft can't tell you what spell is contained in a wand even when it's being used, because that skill is dependent on watching the spell be cast rather than triggered. Either skill will let you try to decipher a written scroll.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-18, 10:41 AM
A 10 No.

This one's covered in the FAQ:
When you add Hit Dice to a druid’s (or ranger’s) animal companion as the master’s level goes up, does the animal get any bigger? For instance, when a druid has a wolf companion, the wolf starts out with the standard 2 Hit Dice and is size Medium. By the time the druid is 3rd level, the wolf has 2 bonus Hit Dice. According to the wolf entry in the MM, an “advanced” wolf with 4 Hit Dice would be Large. Is the example companion wolf also Large?
An animal companion doesn’t get bigger when it adds extra Hit Dice for the master’s levels. The advancement entries for creatures, and the rules for advancing monsters, refer to unusually powerful specimens that are simply tougher (and perhaps bigger) than normal for their kinds.

Harris the Ford
2010-07-18, 12:41 PM
Q11)

Is there a way to add hit dice to a paladins mount besides straight leveling? (ie, a magic item, spell, feat)

alternately, would that be something a wish can do easily?

Greenish
2010-07-18, 01:05 PM
Q12

How much does a densewood (ECS) mace cost?

[Edit]: Ie. are there rules for multiplying nil?

ericgrau
2010-07-18, 01:07 PM
A 11) AFAIK nothing in 3.5e boosts HD or levels except leveling up. If wish can't even reverse level (or HD) and xp lost, I doubt it can increase them either. I dunno if a splatbook has an option, but it would screw with the basic system if it did, as many fundamental effects like what spells can hit and the drawbacks of resurrection are HD dependent. That said, there are a million magical buffs you could try to boost your mount's stats.

EDIT: Companions may be different from characters and monsters balance-wise, so come to think of it it may be different. Splatbooks or homebrew might have a reasonable feat but with a cap on the HD relative to character level to avoid defeating certain spells.

Peregrine
2010-07-18, 01:13 PM
A11

I don't believe so, no. I know of no way to increase your mount's powers beyond your own class progression, and I know of no way to increase your effective paladin level for mount powers.

There is one possibility for multiclass characters: the feat Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer) increases your effective druid level for animal companion features, but no higher than your total character level. I don't know of a paladin variant of this feat, but a willing DM might let the feat apply. But in any case, I don't think this is what you meant.

The only things that are "easily" done with wish are things that are based off existing spells, rules or items. :smalltongue: Anything's possible with a willing DM, but that's different.

Of course, there are temporary HD boosts, like inspire greatness...

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-18, 02:29 PM
Q12A

What are the kobold shenanigans feats? Dragon-wrought i know...then lore drake etc? something like that

Q12B

Applying the dragon-born template looks like it gives exactly the same as Dragon-wrought. Can you save on a feat and get the subsequent shenanigans? Or do they rely on previous feats?

mafddawg
2010-07-18, 02:40 PM
Q13
If a wizard changed his form with Polymorph, then with Polymorph Any Object, does he still retain his spellcasting ability? The text on polymorph subschool would imply he doesn't. Also is he considered having a class in the new form at all?

Fitz10019
2010-07-18, 03:00 PM
Q14
Is there a feat that lets you blend Rogue and Ranger (like the Ascetic Rogue or the Devoted Tracker) to stack both class levels for Sneak Attack?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-18, 04:20 PM
A11: The Bard song Inspire Greatness temporarily boosts HD by 2 (4 with Words of Creation), but that wouldn't give your Mount any more special bonuses from his progressed table. The Awaken spell and polymorph cheese can be used to similar effect to get NI HD. RAW, Wish could do part of the above via mimicing the spell combo, but just straight adding HD is in the nebulous "DM decides" territory.

A12A/B (these are really answers 13A/B, but eh): The Kobold shenanigans are the Dragonwrought feat, which turns a Kobold into a True Dragon by virtue of the Kobold's having age categories listed in Races of the Dragon. They also don't take any penalties for aging due to the book explicitly stating such for Dragonwrought. Lore Drake is a Sovereign Archetype (think alternate class feature for dragons, really) that can only be applied to True Dragons that lowers their racial HD in exchange for two free levels of sorcerer casting. The Web enhancement for RotD also have a feat that bumps up sorcerer casting by 1, which is also added to the mix. Whitedragon Spawn template from some Dragonlance book is a +1 LA template with silly bonuses, chief among them another additional +1 to sorcerer casting.

Dragonborn will NOT give you such benefits, as that only adds the Dragonblood subtype instead of changing your type to Dragon.

A13 (A14): Either the FAQ or the errata covered that anyone slapped with a Polymorph spell would retain spellcasting abilities as long as the form was vaguely humanoid with sufficient arms to cast somatic spells and speech to cast verbal spells. As PAO is Polymoprh+ and bases itself off the former spell, then, as long as the above conditions are met, casting is retained. A character polymorphed into a Beholder is still a Character Class Y, however.

A14 (A15): No feat exists in either Complete Scoundrel or Complete Adventurer that stacks Ranger and Rogue that I can find, so I am inclined to say "no."

urbanpirate
2010-07-18, 05:34 PM
Q 15

where would one find non undead incorpreal creatures? the wotc consolidated list seems to be incomplete

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-18, 05:41 PM
Q 15

where would one find non undead incorpreal creatures? the wotc consolidated list seems to be incomplete

A15: MM3 has the Shadowsteel Golem, which is an incorporeal construct. Other than that, any non-undead who hit Psion Uncarnate 10 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm) would qualify.

SurlySeraph
2010-07-18, 06:32 PM
Q16

Not including Unarmed Strike or a Sunblade, is there any way to get Power Attack damage when using a light weapon?

Greenish
2010-07-18, 06:47 PM
Q16

Not including Unarmed Strike or a Sunblade, is there any way to get Power Attack damage when using a light weapon?A16 Natural Attacks are light weapons you can PA with.

Zieu
2010-07-19, 12:56 AM
Q17

If a spellcaster casts True Strike, a "+20 insight bonus on your single next attack roll," and rolls a natural 20, does the insight bonus from True Strike get added onto the confirmation roll?

Math_Mage
2010-07-19, 01:02 AM
A 17: Yes.

Critical Hits

When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 shows 20), you hit regardless of your target’s Armor Class, and you have scored a threat. The hit might be a critical hit (or "crit"). To find out if it’s a critical hit, you immediately make a critical roll—another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made. If the critical roll also results in a hit against the target’s AC, your original hit is a critical hit. (The critical roll just needs to hit to give you a crit. It doesn’t need to come up 20 again.) If the critical roll is a miss, then your hit is just a regular hit.

True Strike modified your attack roll, so it also modifies your critical confirmation attack roll.

Peregrine
2010-07-19, 08:48 AM
Q12

How much does a densewood (ECS) mace cost?

[Edit]: Ie. are there rules for multiplying nil?

Nobody answered the original question 12, so I'll have a shot, even though I don't have the ECS... Eberron Campaign Setting, right?

I also suspect you meant to say "club", not mace, as that makes sense of your "multiplying nil" statement. And that's a really good question. I can only propose setting some arbitrary, low price on a club, say 2cp, and working from there. Unless there are any stats for the price per weight of densewood anywhere.

Greenish
2010-07-19, 09:13 AM
I also suspect you meant to say "club", not mace, as that makes sense of your "multiplying nil" statement.Yeah. :smallredface:

Ossian
2010-07-19, 11:59 AM
Q18

If I am charging with a lance (and I have combat reflexes) and my target (who has less reach than me) does something to provoke an attack of opportunity, can I take the extra attack? Combat reflexes is more icing on the cake though. Just wondering if I can only attack once (with the reach) and continue in a straight line). What is the mechanical difference if I am charging AND mounted? (like in a joust)

Thanks,

Ossian

Myth
2010-07-19, 12:20 PM
Q 19Which cases of polymorph/shapechange/lycantrophy etc. are vulnerable to True Sight and similar effects, and which ones are natural and unhindered by magic, AMFs or True Sight?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-19, 03:02 PM
A 19

All magical alterations of form are penetrated by True Seeing. This includes the entire Alter Self line (Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, Shapechange) and all instances of alternate form (including wild shape and lycanthropy), plus all illusions that simulate a change of form (like Disguise Self).

Math_Mage
2010-07-19, 03:04 PM
A 18: The scenario requires more clarification. You're charging, and it provokes a readied action from the opponent, which in turn provokes an attack of opportunity? In that case, you do get an attack of opportunity, by RAW:

Ready

The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that you ready might do so).
[...]
The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action.

Making an Attack of Opportunity
[...]
An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).

What your DM says about you smacking a retreating opponent with your lance in the middle of a charge is, of course, another story. But like I said, more clarification is required.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-19, 03:11 PM
A 18

An attack of opportunity is normally provoked by someone else's actions, so it occurs on their turn. If you're charging your enemies usually aren't acting, so they're not provoking AoOs. There are some exceptions:

spells that take a round or longer to cast are continuous at least until the caster's next turn
an enemy may have used the Ready action to interrupt your charge
a character who was balancing continues to do so
an action started with the "Start Full-Round Action" standard action, if that full-round action provokes
an AoO you provoke may allow enemies to perform a provoking actions themselves
That said, at any time your enemy provides a provocation, you may make an attack of opportunity ─ assuming you have any unused AoOs for the round, of course.

WarKitty
2010-07-19, 06:15 PM
Q20

Can there be non-disarmable traps? I was thinking something simple like a spiked pit across the pathway.

Math_Mage
2010-07-19, 06:27 PM
A 20

Regarding the spiked pit specifically:

Pits

Disabling a pit trap generally ruins only the trapdoor, making it an uncovered pit. Filling in the pit or building a makeshift bridge across it is an application of manual labor, not the Disable Device skill. Characters could neutralize any spikes at the bottom of a pit by attacking them—they break just as daggers do.

In general, having a trap that cannot be detected and disabled in some way is not allowed. However, as per the above example, disabling the trap may not automatically nullify it, and other methods may be required to complete the job. Use your imagination.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-19, 09:54 PM
A 20 additional thoughts

If the spiked pit isn't covered or concealed in some way (i.e. it's just an open pit in the middle of the hallway), it isn't really a "trap" anymore. A pit trap functions by being concealed so that the person being trapped isn't aware and falls in. Without that trap door mechanism, a pit is just a hole in the ground, not a trap (regardless of the presence or absense of spikes). It has instead become a terrain hazard, and you can't use Disable Device on a terrain hazard.

Seth1221
2010-07-20, 07:36 AM
Q21

Is the creature aware that is being targeted by, for example, "charm person" spell if the creature does not see the caster?

Yora
2010-07-20, 07:58 AM
A21

Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.
This should answer your question.

Douglas
2010-07-20, 07:59 AM
A21

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Spellcraft DC 25 + spell level: After rolling a saving throw against a spell targeted on you, determine what that spell was. No action required. No retry. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm)

If the creature succeeds on its save, it would be aware that something hostile had targeted it and it would get a chance to use Spellcraft to figure out that it was Charm Person. If it fails the save, it has no idea anything just happened.

Jastermereel
2010-07-20, 11:16 AM
Q 22

Are there rules or guidelines suggesting what portion of a character's wealth should be wrapped up in a single item?

That is, while a 5th level player would, on average, have around 9,000 gp, it would seem excessive for 8,000 of that to be used for a +2 weapon. Magic Item Compendium gives suggestions on the level a player should have access to an item, but most other sources don't. I don't think I've seen any set-in-stone rules for this, but are there any Guidelines or Suggestions As Written?

guardinal
2010-07-20, 11:21 AM
Two questions on the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil Prestige Class:

Q23:
Is it possible to dispel the veils with dispel magic and similar spells?

(On the one hand, the text says that the veils "duplicate the layers of a prismatic wall" and that spell is explicitly not subject to dispel magic (except the violet veil) and actually blocks dispel attempts on anything beyond it. On the other hand, the veils are *not* the 'prismatic wall' spell, they are a spell-like ability granted as a class feature and have their own specific mechanics (like being mobile, granting concealment, having different spell equivalents for each veil, casting as an immediate action, etc.). Being immune to, or blocking, dispel magic is a pretty important feature that, if it exists, should be explicit.)

Q24
Do the veils block the various specified spells or attacks regardless of whether they are generated inside or outside the veils?

(I don't see anything in the ability description that indicates that they only work one way, and certainly a prismatic wall or prismatic sphere spell will block attacks and effects in both directions.)

Curmudgeon
2010-07-20, 12:14 PM
A 22

From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 42:
As a general rule, a new character can spend no more than half her total wealth on a single item, and no more than one quarter the total wealth on consumables such as ammunition, scrolls, potions, wands, or alchemical items.

Peregrine
2010-07-20, 12:17 PM
A 22: Not really, and that bugs the heck outta me. The best thing to go on is in the DMG, p.42, last sentence:
As a general rule, a new character can spend no more than one half her total wealth on a single item, and no more than one quarter the total wealth on consumables such as ammunition, scrolls, potions, wands, or alchemical items.

(EDIT: Ninja! :smallyuk:)

But that doesn't address how characters spend money as they level up and gain wealth. There's a general "vibe" that a player shouldn't be allowed to blow their entire WBL on one single item. I suppose that the bit quoted only discusses new characters because it's assumed that existing characters will end up with multiple good items -- and that they won't then up and sell all their stuff to be able to afford one uber item.

You mentioned the Magic Item Compendium, but even there, its item level rules (specifically, the item level equivalencies) can be used to compress most or all of a player's loot into one item.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-20, 12:24 PM
A 23

The veils replicate the counters of a Prismatic Wall spell.
A violet veil is destroyed by a successful dispel magic spell. As the violet veil specifically mentions that it is countered by Dispel Magic, it's consistent that the other veils will not be destroyed by Dispel Magic but rather by their specifically identified counters (Cone of Cold for a red veil, & c.)

A 24 Yes.

For the reason you stated.

dextercorvia
2010-07-20, 12:53 PM
Q 25 Is there any way to get a Monk's unarmed attack to deal slashing damage, or to be treated as a slashing weapon?

Yora
2010-07-20, 12:56 PM
A25 You can use Kamas to deal 1d6 slashing damage using the attack bonuses for unarmed attack.

guardinal
2010-07-20, 01:16 PM
A25
The feat 'versatile unarmed strike' in PHBII allows a monk to choose (as an at-will swift action) to deal either bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage with his unarmed strike for one round.

Douglas
2010-07-20, 03:20 PM
A25 correction

See bold:

A25
The feat 'versatile unarmed strike' in PHBII allows a monk to choose (as an at-will swift action) to deal either bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage with his unarmed strike for one round. until you change it again.

Volthawk
2010-07-20, 03:54 PM
Q 26

When epic psions gain a level, do they:

1) Gain two powers, as in this SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/psionicClassProgressions.htm#epicPsion):

Powers
The psion’s manifester level is equal to his class level. The psion’s base power points do not increase after 20th level. Each time the psion attains a new level, he learns two new powers of any level or levels that he can manifest.

2) Gain a new power of any power level that he can manifest (according to his new level) that is within his primary discipline, as here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/epicClasses.html#psion):

Powers: The psion’s manifester level is equal to his class level. The psion’s number of power points per day does not increase after 20th level, but the limit on power points spent on a metapsionic power is 19 (though feats such as Improved Manifestation extend this limit). Each time the psion achieves a new level, he learns a new power of any power level that he can manifest (according to his new level) that is within his primary discipline. Psions continue to gain bonus power points for high ability scores.

My copy of the XPH agrees with the first one, although someone else says their copy agrees with the second one.

Yora
2010-07-20, 04:09 PM
A26
Mine says 2 powers per level. It's "First printing, April 2004".
Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) it also says two powers, and I would use this site as a reference.

nefele
2010-07-20, 04:51 PM
Q27
Does the spell Deathwatch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deathwatch.htm)allow you to detect and/or pinpoint creatures you wouldn't perceive otherwise (invisible, hiding etc)?

Sliver
2010-07-20, 05:07 PM
A27

The spell is an emanation.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners).

By the wording of the spell, the spell grants you an additional type of sight. So you would probably be able to detect invisible creatures, but it won't completely defeat hiding creature's cover, because it's sight dependent and you won't be able to spot them. Creatures with total cover will have complete protection from the effect, while it's up to the DM to tell you how you are detecting, if by sight, you still need to spot them. This answer depends a lot on how much your DM looks at the first sentence of the spell though.

Using the foul sight granted by the powers of unlife...

nefele
2010-07-20, 05:33 PM
Q27 cont.
I understand the part about not being able to see through cover, but when you say:

By the wording of the spell, the spell grants you an additional type of sight.
...I don't understand where that comes from. Why is it "an additional type of sight"?

By the way, if it helps, the PrC Death Delver from Heroes of Horror grants the following ability:

Deathsense (Ex): You have the infallible ability to detect the presence and condition of nearby life. This ability functions as the spell deathwatch (see page 217 of the Player’s Handbook) but can be invoked at will, with no cost, as a swift action.
Emphasis mine. :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2010-07-20, 06:59 PM
A 25 correction

You can use Kamas to deal 1d6 slashing damage using the attack bonuses for unarmed attack.
That's not right. Weapon focus (unarmed strike) and Greater Weapon focus (unarmed strike) won't apply to kamas. You can't use a kama to qualify for a Roundabout Kick attack. A Necklace of Natural Attacks or an Amulet of Mighty Fists will boost your unarmed attack bonus but do nothing for your kamas.

About the only commonality between a Monk's unarmed strikes and kamas is that they both qualify for Flurry of Blows. However, their attack bonuses are not connected.

guardinal + douglas have together produced the right answer with the right details.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-20, 07:02 PM
Re: Q 27 cont.

...I don't understand where that comes from. Why is it "an additional type of sight"?

Using the foul sight granted by the powers of unlife, you can determine the condition of creatures near death within the spell’s range. That's what's additional about it. It has nothing to do with normal vision, which is not "granted by the powers of unlife".

Math_Mage
2010-07-20, 07:51 PM
Q 27: Clarification

From what I understand, if a character uses Deathwatch on an area containing one visible creature, one creature using partial concealment or cover to hide, one invisible creature, and one creature behind a solid barrier granting total cover, the character detects:
-The condition of the visible creature;
-The presence and condition, but not the location, of the hiding and invisible creatures;
-Neither the presence nor the condition of the creature behind Total Cover.

'Condition' as defined in the Deathwatch spell description. Correct?

soulsabre345
2010-07-20, 08:16 PM
Q 28

if a character with wings and a fly speed of 30' attempts to make a jump check what modifier does he/she gain, if any? (asking because a strike in ToB requires a jump check to determine the save of a ability, and want to know how wings aid that jump)

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-20, 08:49 PM
A28: RAW, depends. If the character is a Dragonborn or Raptoran with natural wings, then the bonus is +10 to jump. Other races may have similar bonuses, but just having wings with flight in and of itself doesn't confer said bonus.

Sliver
2010-07-21, 01:56 AM
Q 27: Clarification

-The presence and condition, but not the location, of the hiding and invisible creatures;

'Condition' as defined in the Deathwatch spell description. Correct?

That goes against the nature of Deatwatch being a sight based spell. It can be argued either way, and depends heavily on the DM on the connection between the granted sight and the knowledge of the condition.

Sc00by
2010-07-21, 07:42 AM
Q 29

When a character is stunned, do they drop their Shield?
Or to phraze it another way; are Shields bound to the arm or held in the hand?

Greenish
2010-07-21, 07:46 AM
Q 29

When a character is stunned, do they drop their Shield?
Or to phraze it another way; are Shields bound to the arm or held in the hand?A29: Bound to the arm.
Ready or Loose a Shield
Strapping a shield to your arm to gain its shield bonus to your AC, or unstrapping and dropping a shield so you can use your shield hand for another purpose, requires a move action. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can ready or loose a shield as a free action combined with a regular move.

Dropping a carried (but not worn) shield is a free action.Yes, even bucklers.

dgnslyr
2010-07-21, 07:58 PM
Q 30

Can a Warblade, or any other martial adept, use maneuvers while raging? Just wondering, because Lion Totem barbarian gives a very tasty pounce, with a delicious cherry of rage on top of it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-21, 07:59 PM
A30: As long as the maneuver doesn't require the use of any of the skills a barbarian is bared from bearing while raging, then yes, you can use maneuvers in a rage.

Rowanomicon
2010-07-21, 10:13 PM
Q31
What benefits does a shield gain from being made out of Adamantine?

All the SRD says is

Only weapons, armor, and shields normally made of metal can be fashioned from adamantine. Weapons, armor and shields normally made of steel that are made of adamantine have one-third more hit points than normal. Adamantine has 40 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 20.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-21, 10:58 PM
A 31

Adamantine shields are automatically considered masterwork, so that mitigates the Armor Check Penalty of the shield. If you drop the shield it will be more difficult to damage because of the increased hardness and hit points.

ericgrau
2010-07-21, 11:05 PM
A 27
Deathwatch is an emanation that hits everything in the cone. As an emanation it can even go around corners yet it cannot go through walls. This is nothing like vision, in spite of the fluff wording. So you know the condition of each creature in the cone, but not necessarily location. It may be better to consider the "foul sight" as a 6th sense rather than like eyesight. Or however you explain it the spell is still an emanation.

As a further example detect magic is an emanation yet it does not give you location until the 3rd round of concentration, when the spell description specifies. Deathwatch doesn't mention any ability to locate the creatures. Someone might think so from the assumed fluff, but there's nothing in the rules to suggest it and even the fluff interpretation is a guess. As always your DM can do whatever he wants regardless of the rules.

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-21, 11:34 PM
A 27 Correction

An emanation can not go around corners. An emanation is equivalent to a burst, but differs in that it has a duration. Spreads can go around corners, but neither bursts nor emanations can.

Sliver
2010-07-22, 01:42 AM
A27

Besides emanation not going around corners, unlike what you said, Detect Magic can penetrate certain barriers and does not mention sight at all, so you can't use it as an example, as it's quite different from Deathwatch.

Roc Ness
2010-07-22, 02:12 AM
Q32
Exatcly how thick is a vertical Wall of Force (when cast as a spell)? Is the wall made of merged 10ft cubes, or is it made of merged 10ft by 10ft walls of X thickness?

Superglucose
2010-07-22, 02:41 AM
a32
According to the SRD, The caster can form the wall into a flat, vertical plane whose area is up to one 10-foot square per level. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallofforce.htm) As a plane is defined to have thickness of 0 (or at least as close as possible) one could say that the wall has no thickness.

Parra
2010-07-22, 02:54 AM
Q33

Weapon Enchant: Aptitude Weapon (Tome of Battle pg 148) states that:
"A wielder who has feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon, such as Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, or the like, can apply the benefits of those feats to any weapon that has the aptitude quality"

combined with the granted ability of the War Domain: Weapon Proficiency with the Deity's favoured weapon & Weapon Focus in that weapon

Does this then allow a Cleric with the War Domain to wield any Weapon (simple, martial or exotic) with the Aptitude Weapon enchant and use the War Domains ability to grant them proficiency with the weapon?

Superglucose
2010-07-22, 02:57 AM
A33
No because War Domain does not grant the feat "Martial Weapon Proficiency."

Parra
2010-07-22, 03:35 AM
A33

I would disagree the War Domain specifically states that it Grants "Martial Weapon Proficency" with the Deities favoured weapon. How does that differ from the feat "Matrial Weapon Proficency"?

Bladesinger
2010-07-22, 03:36 AM
A33 Correction

A33

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the PHB states, "A cleric who chooses the War domain automatically gains the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat related to his deity’s favored weapon as a bonus feat, if the weapon is a martial one," on page 97.

Enix18
2010-07-22, 01:47 PM
Q34.

Do touch attacks made with a person's hands provoke attacks of opportunity, like normal unarmed strikes do? More specifically, would a Sorcerer using Touch of Idiocy or a Dread Necromancer using Charnel Touch grant attacks of opportunity, assuming they lacked the Improved Unarmed Strike feat?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-22, 01:51 PM
A 34 No.
Touch Attacks

Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. While you might incur an AoO during the casting, the attempt to deliver the touch itself does not provoke.

Hawk7915
2010-07-22, 02:41 PM
A slimy slew of questions about Black Tentacles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blackTentacles.htm) from my last gaming session...

Q 35:
Do Black Tentacles have reach? Are they a 20' spread with an additional 10' of "grabbing distance", as each tentacle is 10' long?

Q 36:
Can a wizard make Black Tentacles appear on a wall, or ceiling? The text says "underfoot", but then says "even water", leaving it ambiguous...

Q 37:
Assuming the answer to 36 is "yes", do the tentacles conform to terrain? As an example (from the session), if the Tentacles were fired into the corner of the room, would they "sprout" diagonally along both walls, or would that radius be lost to the terrain?

dextercorvia
2010-07-22, 03:08 PM
A 35

They grasp and entwine around creatures that enter the area,

I'm going to have to say they don't reach outside the area.

Dubious Pie
2010-07-22, 04:10 PM
Q38:
What feats give you "Unarmed strike as a monk of <blah> levels higher"?

Greenish
2010-07-22, 04:14 PM
Q34.

Do touch attacks made with a person's hands provoke attacks of opportunity, like normal unarmed strikes do? More specifically, would a Sorcerer using Touch of Idiocy or a Dread Necromancer using Charnel Touch grant attacks of opportunity, assuming they lacked the Improved Unarmed Strike feat?A34 addition.

While holding a spell, you're considered armed and can make armed touch attacks against enemies.

[Edit]: That is to say, if you're holding a spell, you can make Attacks of Opportunity.

Hawk7915
2010-07-22, 04:25 PM
Q38:
What feats give you "Unarmed strike as a monk of <blah> levels higher"?
A 38:

The only feat I know of is Superior Unarmed Strike, from Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords. Iirc, if requires BAB +3, Improved Unarmed Strike. If you don't have an unarmed damage progression, it gives you one. If you do (ie if you're a Monk), you are treated as a monk of 4 levels higher.

By RAW, Improved Natural Attack increases unarmed strike damage; it does not treat you as a higher level monk though.

There are classes (Fist of the Forest) and items (Monk's Belt) that do this as well, but that's the only feat I know of.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-22, 07:22 PM
A 36 No.

The surface (including water) must be underfoot. So if liquid water can remain fixed on a surface, Evard's Black Tentacles can appear there. To place them on a ceiling you could first employ the Reverse Gravity spell.

A 37

Irrelevant, because of the previous answer.

Raptor2213
2010-07-22, 07:40 PM
Q39
I recall, and can't remember where, some feats that require SR that give nifty benefits, such as immunity to a single spell and so on. Does anyone recall where I might find these feats (again)?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-22, 07:58 PM
Re: A 38

There are classes (Fist of the Forest) and items (Monk's Belt) that do this [treat you as a higher level monk] as well ...
Small correction here: Fist of the Forest does not treat you as a higher level Monk. It may in some cases increment you to the next step up on the Monk damage table.

At 1st and 2nd level FotF, if your base Monk unarmed damage is 1d8 (Medium size Monk levels 4-7, Small size Monk levels 8-11, or Large size Monk levels 1-3) it becomes 1d10.
At 3rd level FotF, if your base Monk unarmed damage is 1d10 (Medium size Monk levels 8-11, or Small size Monk levels 12-15) it becomes 2d6.
If you are below the damage amount on the FotF Unarmed Damage table, you use the FotF figure. If you are already above the UD table amount there is no change.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-23, 04:03 PM
Q 40 When making a ranged attack out of Hide, if you have the BAB for multiple shots, do you get multiple shots, or just one?

PId6
2010-07-23, 04:27 PM
A 40

What do you mean "out of Hide"? If combat hasn't started yet and it's a surprise round, then you only get a standard action so just a single shot. If combat has already started and you're beginning your turn while hidden, you do get an entire turn to act, so you may full attack if you choose. However, if you want to Hide again afterward (ie sniping), you need to spend another move action after your attack, so you likely can only get off a single shot in that case.

Jastermereel
2010-07-23, 05:50 PM
Q 41

So I used the Fountain of Fortune's Folly from Dragon 339 in my campaign and one of my players rolled up Potion Resistance: Gain SR 10 against potions you consume. So...how does that work? Is a potion's caster level assumed to be the lowest it could be to cast the relevant spell and each time they drink a potion, I roll for the maker of the potion as if I were casting it as a spell on her?

greedycoward
2010-07-23, 06:34 PM
Q 42

At what negative health do warforged die, or is inert as far as they will go?

Also if you could link me an official answer or give me the page number and book I can find the answer in.

Tasroth
2010-07-23, 06:44 PM
A 41

Normally, yes, the caster level of potions, scrolls, and wands is assumed to be the minimum caster level required for the spell they duplicate. Unless you specifically decide a potion has a higher caster level (created by a higher level spellcaster, effects last longer, etc), I'd stick with minimum. And yes, I would interpret that as rolling a suitable caster level check every time they drink a potion.

A 42

Well, I found the Living Construct traits on page 215 of the Monster Manual III, which answers this one. It says a living construct (including Warforged) becomes inert when their hp is less than 0 but greater than -10. The implication I would say is that, as with ordinary living creatures, they die when their hp reaches -10.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-23, 07:17 PM
A 40 additional info

Being visually undetectable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#invisible) (through any mechanism) provides specific benefits:

You gain a +2 bonus to attack sighted opponents.
Your opponents are denied their DEX bonus to AC.
If you are hidden, attacking will normally make you noticed. If you somehow meet the requirements to use the Hide skill (not being noticed, and cover/concealment) you may do so while attacking, with a -20 penalty. Since Hide usually does not take an action (but is instead piggybacked on a limited set of other actions) this would allow you to make a full attack while trying to remain hidden. If you have a version of Hide in Plain Sight you are exempt from the "not being noticed" requirement. The better (generally Supernatural) versions of Hide in Plain Sight will also exempt you from the cover/concealment requirement if they include a line like the following:
As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. Absent some way to satisfy both Hide requirements while attacking, you will need to use the Sniping option of the Hide skill, as PId6 pointed out. Sniping is the only application of Hide which requires its own separate action.

Defiant
2010-07-23, 08:03 PM
Q. 43

Can you use Tome of Battle stances while raging?

Sc00by
2010-07-23, 08:51 PM
A43

A30: As long as the maneuver doesn't require the use of any of the skills a barbarian is bared from bearing while raging, then yes, you can use maneuvers in a rage.

from earlier in the thread.

And the same would apply to Stances.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-23, 08:55 PM
A 43 Yes.

The general rule is yes, excepting any which fall into the excluded category:
While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. I don't know of any stances that require exclude skills (unlike most Diamond Mind maneuvers, which necessitate Concentration checks). The Flame's Blessing stance is dependent on your Tumble ranks, but does not actually require a check. So unless I've overlooked something, all stances may be used while raging.

BillyJimBoBob
2010-07-23, 09:31 PM
Q 44

I'd like to hear some opinions on the RAW and RAI for Mirror Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirrorimage.htm).

Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets. Generally, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. Any successful attack against an image destroys it.
It's the word "generally" that I'd like to discuss, in this context: An opponent caster has MI cast, and he has a total of 5 Images (himself and 4 Images). A Magic Missile was cast from a scroll with 6 missiles (more than the max allowed, my GM likes to tweak minor items for fun), one targeting each Image, and the spare randomly rolled to see if it hit the caster.

But I'm wondering if all 6 Missiles shouldn't have been randomly rolled to see which Image they hit? That would seem to follow the process outlined "generally", but of course the very word indicates that there could be specific cases where you would not roll randomly, although there is no attempt made to describe such cases.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-23, 09:36 PM
A 44

"RAI" discussions are outside the scope of this thread. As for the "generally" part, the Mirror Image spell cannot dictate the choices of the attacker, who can choose specific images to target (such as "the leftmost one").

Thieves
2010-07-24, 11:51 AM
Q 45
Can I ride a floating disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm)? Supports 100 lb/caster level, so that's easy. "It floats along horizontally within spell range and will accompany you at a rate of no more than your normal speed each round. If not otherwise directed, it maintains a constant interval of 5 feet between itself and you." So it assumes some degree of me controlling it. I can tell it to keep 5 feet or more from me, so can I, upon sitting on it, tell it to move (up to my speed)?

Sooo... is it then reasonable to assume that steering the disk (that is, telling it to go somewhere) is an equivalent of a move action?

Gamblerjoe
2010-07-24, 12:54 PM
A45
if the disk follows you, attempting to maintain a distance of 5 ft, that is not the same as being able to command it. there's nothing to stop you from standing on the disk, but to direct it you would have to step off and move more than 5 ft away from it.

Floating Disk, Greater: as floating disk, but you can ride it. (Spell Compendium 266). on page 96 they give the long description which refers specifically to "Tensor's" floating disk.

note: the reason names like Tensor and Boccob are omited from spell references after PHB is because the writers realize that most campaign settings do not have these characters.

Thieves
2010-07-24, 03:55 PM
They see me floatin', they hatin'... :smallfrown:

Q 46
Tell me if I'm wrong: let's say I have a Wizard 3 / Druid 3. I then advance 10 levels of Mystic Theurge (or any dual-progression for that matter), so I have Wizard 13 / Druid 13 casting. If I take a level of druid now, I will have Wizard 13 / Druid 14 casting, and the special abilities of a Druid 4, not a Druid 14, right? By 20, I am Wizard 3 / Druid 7 / Mystic Theurge 10, and have Druid 17 casting with Druid 7 abilities?

(Sorry, I get confused easily.)

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-24, 04:22 PM
A 46

You are correct. Mystic Theurge, and in fact most prestige classes, do not progress any class's class features unless they specifically state that they do. In the case of the Mystic Theurge:

When a new mystic theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Emphasis mine. You only stack MT for spellcasting.

Contrast this with the Arcane Hierophant from Races of the Wild, which progresses Wild Shape and Familiar and Animal Companion benefits as well as spellcasting.

Defiant
2010-07-24, 06:19 PM
Q. 47

This may seem like an easy question, but I want to make sure. Manyshot does not apply Scout Skirmish damage twice, correct? Skirmish is therefore a subset of "precision" damage

Q. 48

How does Scout Skirmish damage work with mounted combat? If the horse moves the scout, does this mean the scout can full-attack with full skirmish damage?

PId6
2010-07-24, 06:42 PM
A 47

Correct. You would need Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) to do that.

A 48

It does not. See Complete Adventurer errata.

BillyJimBoBob
2010-07-24, 09:09 PM
A 44

"RAI" discussions are outside the scope of this thread. As for the "generally" part, the Mirror Image spell cannot dictate the choices of the attacker, who can choose specific images to target (such as "the leftmost one").I'm not sure I follow you. The "generally" is in regards to rolling randomly to see if the Image targeted is real or fake. Being able to select a specific Image would seem to make MI only useful if you then move, as attackers could just target the Image (you, really) in the square you were standing in.

Unless you're saying that with multiple attacks, such as a MM spell with more than one Missile, that once the number of attacks meets the number of Images, there is no longer a need to roll randomly for each attack, and that you'd only roll to see which Image was the caster? But again, if the caster hasn't moved, that would be known already.

If RAI is outside the scope of the thread (and the word "generally" seems to invoke RAI), can you point me at any RAW which can clear up my confusion, please?

Starfols
2010-07-24, 09:37 PM
Q 49 If a creature becomes a Half Golem (making the save for retaining it's type), dies, then later becomes an undead, does it keep the template? If so, does the creature retain the stat bonuses if his relevant scores are different from his original form?

Lyndworm
2010-07-24, 11:31 PM
Q 50
Can a pyrokineticist create multiple lashes with multiple move actions?

PId6
2010-07-24, 11:36 PM
A 50

Yes, as long as she can hold all of them.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-25, 11:56 AM
More of A 44

Being able to select a specific Image would seem to make MI only useful if you then move, as attackers could just target the Image (you, really) in the square you were standing in.

These figments separate from you and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one other figment or you. You're thinking in terms of D&D tactical disposition, where standard (Small+) size creatures will occupy separate squares. However, the figments aren't subject to this limitation, so you generally won't have just 1 target/square, including at the time of casting. Thus the Mirror Image spell is immediately useful when cast, even if the spellcaster doesn't get to move right after casting.

Yet because Mirror Images faithfully mimic the actions of the spellcaster, they can reveal themselves to be false. If the spellcaster climbs stairs, those images pretending to climb stairs who aren't actually on stairs will be obvious. Other interaction with the surroundings, not necessarily including moving to a different square, can reveal the real spellcaster. Example: An arrow (or Magic Missile) shot at an image, if it hits and sticks (or doesn't go poof), will reveal that the spellcaster is there, even if all figments suddenly sprout arrows. The attacker will know which target is real. With the Point it Out skill trick they can also designate the right target to an ally who can act before the spellcaster has a chance to move again.
While moving, you can merge with and split off from figments so that enemies who have learned which image is real are again confounded. This, I think, is the part you're overlooking; it's the counterpart to the "Generally, roll randomly" stipulation. When you've managed to discern which target is real, you don't roll randomly.

Unless you're saying that with multiple attacks, such as a MM spell with more than one Missile, that once the number of attacks meets the number of Images, there is no longer a need to roll randomly for each attack, and that you'd only roll to see which Image was the caster? But again, if the caster hasn't moved, that would be known already.
You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage. Magic Missile isn't going to let you assign 1 missile per target and wait to see which images go poof before assigning any remaining missiles. This is a limitation specific to Magic Missile, not Mirror Image. An archer with iterative attacks would be able to send all remaining arrows at the spellcaster image that didn't go poof.

Pain~less
2010-07-25, 03:55 PM
Q 51 DND3.5

With Tome of Battle, can you use maneuvers out of combat? I got a Swordsage in my game that keeps Shadow Jaunt'ing (Dim door'ing) around and we're not sure if it's legit. Thank you.

Sliver
2010-07-25, 04:05 PM
No need to add the D&D 3.5e part. That's the only edition this thread is for. :smallsmile:

A 51

Maneuvers are granted newly at the beginning of an encounter, and in the case of a swordsage or a warblade, can be recovered at any time using their recovery mechanism. Encounters aren't limited to combat only encounters, so using maneuvers out of combat is legit, by RAW. Crusaders can use maneuvers out of combat as well, since sooner or later the maneuver that is needed will be granted. Feel free to houserule otherwise if you aren't comfortable with such use.

Raptor2213
2010-07-25, 04:09 PM
Q 51 DND3.5
With Tome of Battle, can you use maneuvers out of combat? I got a Swordsage in my game that keeps Shadow Jaunt'ing (Dim door'ing) around and we're not sure if it's legit.

A51
I will answer your question with a question. Does it say that you have to be in combat to use it? No. Does D&D 3.5 differentiate between out of combat and in combat? No.

Methinks you've been playing a bit too much WoW. Just like any other ability or spell, you can use it any time it could possibly be applicable, and not blocked by an opposing force (anti-magic, anti-teleportation and the like).

Curmudgeon
2010-07-25, 06:37 PM
A 51 additional info
You can recover an expended maneuver by using a full-round action to quickly meditate. Doing this does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If you complete your meditation, you can choose one expended maneuver to refresh. It is now available for use in a subsequent round. The Swordsage can use any maneuver they have ready, and can ready an expended maneuver using their recovery process as explained above.

Caphi
2010-07-26, 05:01 PM
Q 52

If a creature has an ability score penalty and ability damage, which is applied first? Specifically, if the penalty and damage add up to the base score or more, is the score treated as 1 or 0?

WinWin
2010-07-26, 05:34 PM
A52: In a case where the penalty can reduce to a minumum of 1 (such as ray of enfeeblement), apply it second. In most cases the application should be Drain/Damage first. Most penalties are temporary conditional effects, such as entanglement or enfeeblement.

In a case where the penalty can reduce an attribute to 0 or below, treat the attribute as 0. Some effects have a limitation clause (such as the aformentioned Ray of Enfeeblement), in such a case follow that limitation. Penalties from different sources stack, but the limitation of those penalties must be followed.

ie. A character with a strength of 8 is hit by a ray of enfeeblement, penalising strength by 6 (to a minimum of 1). The character is then entangled, penalising his strength by 2. The character has an effective strength of one.

If the same character was poisoned for 6 points of str damage, then entangled, they would have an effective strength of 0.

Math_Mage
2010-07-26, 05:39 PM
A 52

Unless the damage alone is greater than or equal to the ability score, the score is 1. Ability damage reduces the actual ability score, and so is applied before an effective ability score penalty, which doesn't.

EDIT: Whoops, ninja'd by a good 5 minutes. :smallyuk:

Douglas
2010-07-26, 06:58 PM
A52 amusing further note

Technically by RAW, someone hit by Ray of Enfeeblement cannot be reduced to 0 strength by any means whatsoever, not even if you deal 10,000,000 strength damage the next round. The spell says "The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1" and does not specify that this limit only applies to the spell's own penalty.

A wizard could, in theory, zap himself with Ray of Enfeeblement to avoid being paralyzed by strength drain.

Jastermereel
2010-07-26, 10:22 PM
Q 53a
In Binding, which comes first? Dahlver-Nar's Shield Self or Savnok's Savnok's Armor? That is, if I'm a level 7 binder and someone hits me for 20 non-piercing damage, do I reduce it by 2 to 18, then divide it in half and take 9 damage or do I divide it in half to 10 and then reduce 2 and take 8 damage? I'm a little unclear on when one has "taken" damage v. having been assigned damage.

Q 53b
What kind of damage is the redirected Shield Self effect? The same as the original source? If so, is it susceptible to DR and the like?
Q 53c
If someone with Shield Self takes Sneak Attack (or similar) damage and the target of the Shield Self effect is immune to sneak attack damage, what happens?

soulsabre345
2010-07-26, 11:56 PM
Q54a does a warshaper's morphic weapons really give you the capability to, provided you are willing to spend 50 move actions to do so, the ability to have every colossal natural weapon that makes vague sense? or, what is the typical dm restriction on this feature?

Q54b is there any way aside from warshaper 5 to be able to take more than one form per use of wildshape?

Sliver
2010-07-27, 12:01 AM
A54a

No. You can't stack the ability on the same weapon. One size increase above the normal size if you already have the weapon, or your size if you don't.

Da'Shain
2010-07-27, 12:53 AM
Q55
Simple question, but ... does the Wilder's Wild Surge ability automatically pay for the next level of augmentation to a power, regardless of base manifester level? For example, a first-level Wilder manifesting Astral Construct: if he Wild Surges for +1, bringing his manifester level to 2 and paying for an augment, does it still augment the Astral Construct to the next level, despite it requiring 3 power points normally (more than a level 2 manifester can spend)?

Keld Denar
2010-07-27, 01:29 AM
A55

Wild Surge +1 doesn't increase an ability by one, it simply increases your ML by 1 and supplies 1 extra PP used with that augement. If that +1 isn't enough to get you to the next "level" of augement, then you don't automatically get that augement. You only get the augements you have the ML to cover.

So no, a 1st level Wilder manifesting Astral Construct could hit ML2, which wouldn't really change much other than the duration, but a 2nd level Wilder could hit ML3 to get the +2 PP augement once. A 3rd level Wilder gets +2 Wild Surge, would would give him a ML of 5, and could thus augement Astral Construct twice.

Hope this makes sense.

katans
2010-07-27, 07:32 AM
Q56

Suppose I score a critical hit with an Hideous Blow. Is the Hideous Blow damage considered to be additional damage dice and thus the crit would only multiply the weapon's damage, or are both multiplied? How does it work with different threat ranges (suppose I roll an 18 with my scimitar, for example)?

Runestar
2010-07-27, 07:57 AM
Q56

Suppose I score a critical hit with an Hideous Blow. Is the Hideous Blow damage considered to be additional damage dice and thus the crit would only multiply the weapon's damage, or are both multiplied? How does it work with different threat ranges (suppose I roll an 18 with my scimitar, for example)?

Hideous blow damage is not considered as part of your normal weapon damage, and thus is not multiplied on a crit, similar to the extra damage from sneak attack. So the threat range of your weapon won't have any impact.

Thieves
2010-07-27, 09:51 AM
Q57
When dealing lethal damage, can I choose to deal less than the amount I rolled so as not to kill the target?

PId6
2010-07-27, 10:05 AM
A 57

No you cannot. You can purposefully deal nonlethal damage with weapons (by taking -4 beforehand), but you cannot choose to lower the damage you deal, especially after it's already rolled.

Raptor2213
2010-07-27, 11:53 AM
Never got a reply to this one earlier.

Q39
I recall, and can't remember where, some feats that require SR that give nifty benefits, such as immunity to a single spell and so on. Does anyone recall where I might find these feats (again)?

Q58
Is there a way to take on a monster's mental scores, possibly a variant polymorph or class ability that allows you to take on one or more mental attribute as well?

PId6
2010-07-27, 12:23 PM
A 58

Polymorph Any Object grants you the form's Intelligence in addition to the physical scores. There's no way to take on a form's Wisdom/Charisma scores unless the creature you're polymorphing has no Wis/Cha normally.

Zom B
2010-07-27, 12:24 PM
Q59

Would a Summon Monster spell of a level capable of summoning, say, a water elemental count for the purpose of reserve feats that say something like "As long as you have a water spell of 4th level or higher available to cast..."

PId6
2010-07-27, 12:26 PM
A 59

Yes. Summon Monster spells take on the descriptors of the creature they summon, so if you can summon a water elemental with one, then you can cast a [Water] spell.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-27, 12:26 PM
Q60

If I took my first level in Wizard and took the Able Learner feat to gain all knowledges as class skills, would I retain those skills if I later retrained my first level to something else such as Fighter?

Or would Able Learner now count towards the Fighter Class Skills?

Zom B
2010-07-27, 12:32 PM
A 59

Yes. Summon Monster spells take on the descriptors of the creature they summon, so if you can summon a water elemental with one, then you can cast a [Water] spell.

All right. The only thing I am worried about is a DM saying "But it's not a water spell until you cast it as one, so it doesn't count while it's still prepared."

Caphi
2010-07-27, 12:34 PM
All right. The only thing I am worried about is a DM saying "But it's not a water spell until you cast it as one, so it doesn't count while it's still prepared."

A 59 correction

This is actually true, and I believe it calls out summon monster specifically as an example of a spell that can't power reserve feats before it's cast.

Sliver
2010-07-27, 12:35 PM

That doesn't work like that. As a cleric who doesn't have any healing spells prepared, you can still use your spontaneous spellcasting for reserve feats. As long as you can use your existing spell slots to cast a water spell at any given moment, you are able to cast a water spell for reserve feats.

Unless there is an exception, like the poster above pointed out.

PId6
2010-07-27, 12:45 PM
A 59 correction

This is actually true, and I believe it calls out summon monster specifically as an example of a spell that can't power reserve feats before it's cast.
Ah, you are correct. Didn't realize reserve feats specifically require spells to have the descriptor at all times. Yes, in this case, Summon Monster doesn't qualify for "able to cast X type of spell" requirements.

A 60

If you rebuild your wizard level into a fighter level, you would still retain any skill points already placed into wizard class skills. However, if a skill is no longer a class skill for any of your classes, you may not put more ranks into that skill if the number of ranks already in it equal or exceed 1/2 your level + 3. So if a wizard 1/fighter 5 with 6 ranks in Spellcraft rebuilds into a fighter 6, he would still have 6 ranks in Spellcraft, but he cannot place any more ranks into Spellcraft unless his level is >= 10 or he takes a class that has Spellcraft as a class skill.

Able Learner doesn't affect this at all; it simply lets you place points on a 1:1 basis into cross-class skills.

Caphi
2010-07-27, 12:49 PM
Ah, you are correct. Didn't realize reserve feats specifically require spells to have the descriptor at all times. Yes, in this case, Summon Monster doesn't qualify for "able to cast X type of spell" requirements.

You might be able to do it with Energy Substitution, though. I've managed to get electricity substituted spells to power Storm Bolt after confirming with my GM. Best to ask yours for his ruling.

Keld Denar
2010-07-27, 01:30 PM
Q60

If I took my first level in Wizard and took the Able Learner feat to gain all knowledges as class skills, would I retain those skills if I later retrained my first level to something else such as Fighter?

Or would Able Learner now count towards the Fighter Class Skills?

A60 Correction

Assuming you are refering to the PHBII Retraining rules, you can not retrain a class level. Only skills, class features, feats, and spells/powers known may be retrained. The changing of class levels or race is considered a "rebuild", not a retrain, and per the PHBII, is governed soley by DM fiat. Its probably then safe to say that when you are rebuilding, all character choices must be legal for the current build, just as they would be if you were constructing the character from scratch. Do note that Able Learner doesn't make anything a class skill. It simply allows for the purchase of cross class ranks on a 1:1 basis for any given level. CC skill caps are still in place if you've never had a skill as a class skill (which you wouldn't have if you were rebuilding your wizard as a fighter, for example).

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-27, 01:48 PM
A60 Correction

Assuming you are refering to the PHBII Retraining rules, you can not retrain a class level. Only skills, class features, feats, and spells/powers known may be retrained. The changing of class levels or race is considered a "rebuild", not a retrain, and per the PHBII, is governed soley by DM fiat. Its probably then safe to say that when you are rebuilding, all character choices must be legal for the current build, just as they would be if you were constructing the character from scratch. Do note that Able Learner doesn't make anything a class skill. It simply allows for the purchase of cross class ranks on a 1:1 basis for any given level. CC skill caps are still in place if you've never had a skill as a class skill (which you wouldn't have if you were rebuilding your wizard as a fighter, for example).

I did mean rebuild, and it seems I misremembered the Feat. Thanks.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-27, 02:30 PM
I did mean rebuild, and it seems I misremembered the Feat.
Education makes all Knowledges class skills for your character.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-27, 03:19 PM
Education makes all Knowledges class skills for your character.

And where is that located?

dextercorvia
2010-07-27, 03:22 PM

ECS, Ghostwalk, FRCS

Sliver
2010-07-27, 03:23 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting, Ghostwalk and Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. They are slightly different.

Ninja'd!

Defiant
2010-07-27, 03:26 PM

ECS, Ghostwalk, FRCS

This feat index is priceless:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats

Curmudgeon
2010-07-27, 03:47 PM
Education has been printed a bunch of times. It was in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, then reprinted in Player's Guide to Faerûn. It's also in Ghostwalk and Eberron Campaign Setting. While the FR and Ghostwalk versions are regional feats, the version in ECS is a general feat ─ and all versions are nearly identical.

Da'Shain
2010-07-27, 06:28 PM
A55

Wild Surge +1 doesn't increase an ability by one, it simply increases your ML by 1 and supplies 1 extra PP used with that augement. If that +1 isn't enough to get you to the next "level" of augement, then you don't automatically get that augement. You only get the augements you have the ML to cover.

So no, a 1st level Wilder manifesting Astral Construct could hit ML2, which wouldn't really change much other than the duration, but a 2nd level Wilder could hit ML3 to get the +2 PP augement once. A 3rd level Wilder gets +2 Wild Surge, would would give him a ML of 5, and could thus augement Astral Construct twice.

Hope this makes sense.Q61
Okay, then I'm a little confused. Does Wild Surge +1 always offer only 1 power point for augmenting, or does it automatically augment a power to its next level regardless of power point cost, so long as its bonus lets you hit the minimum manifester level? So in the aforementioned answer, the Wilder at level 2 Wild Surging for 1 hits ML 3 and manifests Astral Construct; would he have to pay 2 power points in order to augment, only getting 1 extra point from the surge, or would he pay 1 power point for the power itself and then have both augmenting points supplied by the surge?

The SRD seems to flip flop on this, unless I'm reading it totally wrong: at the end it says "In all cases, the wild surge effectively pays the extra power point cost that is normally required to augment the power; only the unaugmented power point cost is subtracted from the wilder’s power point reserve." But before, it says "Instead, the additional 1 power point that would normally be required to augment the power is effectively supplied by the wild surge." So does it always pay the entire cost to augment past your base ML limit, or does it only supply as many points as you Wild Surge for?

nefele
2010-07-27, 06:43 PM
Q 62

Areas of poor visibility hamper your movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#tacticalMovement) (additional movement cost x2, and you can't run or charge). Now, poor visibility can be a weather effect (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm) (rain, fog etc), but does the term also include shadowy illumination (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#visionAndLight)?

Keld Denar
2010-07-27, 08:13 PM
A61

In the example, a 2nd level Wilder using Wild Surge +1 to augement his Astral Construct would have a ML of 3. Wild Surge supplies 1 PP to the augement cost, meaning that the Wilder has to pay 1 PP to manifest the power, and then MAY elect to spend 1 more PP (totaling 2 spent + 1 for Wild Surge, total of 3 = ML3) to add the +2 augement on to his Astral Construct.

It would probably be easier with a simpler power. Take Energy Ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyRay.htm), for example. A 2nd level Wilder manifests Energy Ray. Normally, he could spend 1 PP to do 1d6 damage or 2 PP augement by 1 for 2d6 damage. If he uses Wild Surge +1, he spends 1 PP to manifest the power, then Wild Surge +1 gives him a free PP for 2d6. It also increases his ML, allowing him to add another PP to the power from his own PP pool to increase the damage to 3d6.

Think of it this of it this way. You ALWAYS have to pay the base cost of the power. Once you do, Wild Surge +X does 2 things. First, it gives you X extra FREE PP that can only be used to augement. Whether you spend those or not, its your choice. If you don't spend them, they are lost. Second, Wild Surge ALSO increases the ML of the power you are manifesting by X. You may spend additional PP from your own pool to further augement the power, up to the cap of your augemented ML (normal ML + X).

Going back to Energy Ray, a 5th level Wilder with Wild Surge +2 manifests Energy Ray. It costs him 1 PP. Wild Surge gives him 2 extra PP, bringing his damage up to 3d6. It also increases his effective ML to 7. He's already spent 3 PP on the power (1 base + 2 free from WS), so he can elect to add up to 4 more PP to the power. This allows him to deal up to 7d6 with his Energy Ray.

Make sense?

A62

Shadowy illumination doesn't limit vision enough to inhibit movement. If it did, it would say so. Only complete darkness does. Keep in mind that the Darkness spell doesn't create darkness, only shadowy illumination.

Math_Mage
2010-07-27, 08:23 PM
Q 63

Is the paralysis caused by Ghoul Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ghoulTouch.htm) negated by one Fortitude save, and the Sickening effect negated by a separate Fortitude save by each creature in the area if the first save fails? That's how I interpret the fact that the spell description simply says "Fortitude negates" rather than "Fortitude negates; see below", and discusses the area of sickening stench as an "additional" effect; but I want to confirm that.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-27, 08:35 PM
A 63
Additionally, the paralyzed subject exudes a carrion stench ... If the subject makes their Fortitude save to avoid becoming paralyzed, they do not exude the stench that causes sickening; no additional saves are required.

Zom B
2010-07-27, 10:41 PM
Q64

Would the Lifesense feat (Libris Mortis) pretty much reveal the presence if not the location (the center point of the sphere) of hidden creatures? How about invisible creatures?

Math_Mage
2010-07-27, 11:04 PM
A 64

Lifesense
[...]
In addition to any normal light that might be
present, your surroundings are illuminated by roving points
of brightness created by living creatures. To your eyes, a Medium
or smaller creature gives off life force sufficient to provide bright
illumination in a 60-foot radius, revealing itself and all features
and objects in range to your life-adapted sight. This life-light
behaves like regular light—you can’t see into solid objects, or
past solid walls.

A creature using shadows to hide will obviously be revealed. Even an invisible creature will be revealed as a 'roving point of brightness', if nothing else, and therefore can be pinpointed. If you can see the radius of light, but not the point of brightness it emanates from (e.g. a creature around the corner and 30 feet down the hall), you cannot tell if the light is coming from a creature or another light source; but you do see the light.

nefele
2010-07-28, 12:30 AM
Q 65

Does Evasion (and Improved Evasion) apply to spells that have different effects for a successful and a failed Reflex save, but do not deal damage? Is there somewhere another wording for Evasion than that of the Rogue and the Monk?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-28, 12:53 AM
A 65

There are multiple forms of evasion. For instance, the Chameleon (Races of Destiny) evasion requires an immediate action to activate, as opposed to the continually active form that Rogues, Monks, Ninjas, Rangers, and Scouts have. The Ring of Evasion doesn't have the light/no armor restriction that the class abilities have. However, all forms of evasion that I know of are dependent on an attack that deals damage and allows a Reflex save for half damage.

Theo Hammond
2010-07-28, 07:15 AM
Q66

Animals, Animal Companions - control and actions.

According to RAW how should a druid be controlling his Animal Companion in terms of what actions can it perform at his behest and how he commands it to do so.

I assume this works exactly the same for Rangers?

How does this vary (if at all) with how another class could control a non 'Animal Companion' pet (one just bought 'off the rack' so to speak).

I'm soon to play in a game as a druid and i really want to do this bit right, especially when several other players have already announced their intention for their non-druid/ranger PCs to start with purchases dogs. I'm sure that the druid should have an easier and more versatile time of it but am unclear as to how it should all work.

Tasroth
2010-07-28, 07:30 AM
A 66

Any animal following you around needs to be controlled through the Handle Animal skill, based on what tricks the animal has been taught. A druid's (or ranger's) companion gets bonus tricks that you don't have to teach it so plus there.

Also, using the Handle Animal skill (and this includes getting the animal to attack the enemy) is a Move action, however a druid can handle their animal companion as a Free action and gains a +4 bonus on the check.

Theo Hammond
2010-07-28, 07:53 AM
A 66

Any animal following you around needs to be controlled through the Handle Animal skill, based on what tricks the animal has been taught. A druid's (or ranger's) companion gets bonus tricks that you don't have to teach it so plus there.

Also, using the Handle Animal skill (and this includes getting the animal to attack the enemy) is a Move action, however a druid can handle their animal companion as a Free action and gains a +4 bonus on the check.

Brilliant, thankyou. For some stupid reason i was pouring over the character class section and Monster Manual for the answer, never actually checked Handle Animal skill text which, now i do, is precisely as you say.

Ditto
2010-07-28, 02:01 PM
Q67

Shield, Tower
This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so.

What does 'give up your attacks' mean mechanically? Does this mean you cannot attack with a standard action, then draw a tower shield as a move action & declare that it gives you total cover thru your next turn? Does declaring a shield as cover preclude making any attacks on your turn?

Defiant
2010-07-28, 02:33 PM
67 - Minor(ish) Nitpick

You cannot use a Tower Shield or any shield for that matter by drawing it out using a move action. If you do not have the shield in your hand, it will take a move action to retrieve it, and then an additional move action to strap it on.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-28, 02:51 PM
A 67

"Give up your attacks" means that you may not attack while using the tower shield for total cover. Since, as Defiant noted, you cannot both draw and equip a shield in a round in which you attack (standard action attack + move action retrieve a stowed item + move action equip a shield) you must leave the tower shield strapped to your arm, gaining its usual shield bonus to AC but suffering its -2 encumbrance penalty to attack. Once you re-equip the shield for total cover (a move action, or a free action in conjunction with a regular move if you have BAB +1 or more) you would not be able to make attacks thereafter, so you would threaten no squares.

Allanimal
2010-07-28, 03:04 PM
Q68

Can a druid share a spell with his animal companion when the spell is cast from a wand by the druid?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-28, 03:13 PM
A 68 No.

Spells from wands aren't cast (but are instead triggered), so the Druid's ability to Share Spells cast doesn't apply. Spells from scrolls, since the casting is completed when the scroll is used, would work with Share Spells, though.

Ditto
2010-07-28, 05:51 PM
Q67b

Does it require a dedicated action to 'set' a tower shield and gain the benefit of full cover (as opposed to just getting the AC bonus)? If so, is it a move action or standard action?

Raptor2213
2010-07-28, 06:13 PM
Q69
How does polymorph work with templates?
A) If a creature with a template is polymorphed, does the template no longer apply?
B) Can you polymorph into a templated creature?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-28, 06:30 PM
A 69

A) A strict reading of the rules says you can't use Polymorph at all if you have a template.
This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.
You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself. ... You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype. If you start with a template, and Polymorph or Alter Self says you cannot take the form of a creature with a template, but if you use the spell you can assume your own form (which has a template), then you're disallowed from using the spell.

B) Definitely not.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-28, 06:34 PM
A 67b
Ready or Loose a Shield

Strapping a shield to your arm to gain its shield bonus to your AC, or unstrapping and dropping a shield so you can use your shield hand for another purpose, requires a move action. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can ready or loose a shield as a free action combined with a regular move.

Dropping a carried (but not worn) shield is a free action. Readying a shield, for whatever use, requires the "ready a shield" action. That's normally a move action, as explained above.

Cog
2010-07-28, 06:37 PM
A 68 Disputed

Spells from wands aren't cast (but are instead triggered), so the Druid's ability to Share Spells cast doesn't apply.

Both the DMG and the SRD use the word 'casting' to refer to wand-use multiple times. There's already a thread for further discussion on this topic here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162002).

Curmudgeon
2010-07-28, 07:08 PM
Re: A 68

Both the DMG and the SRD use the word 'casting' to refer to wand-use multiple times.
I've replied in that thread. Rules Compendium changed the spell trigger rules, so I stand by my answer.

Cheesy74
2010-07-28, 09:07 PM
Q 70

Does using a cognizance crystal to manifest a psionic power allow you to exceed the limit of your manifester level for points spent? I can't find a rule on this. Also, what type of action is it to recharge the crystal? The XPH says you can recharge it with your own power points on a 1-to-1 basis but doesn't specify how long this takes to do.

ericgrau
2010-07-28, 09:20 PM
Q67b

Does it require a dedicated action to 'set' a tower shield and gain the benefit of full cover (as opposed to just getting the AC bonus)? If so, is it a move action or standard action?

A67b
"Readying" a shield is not the same as setting it for total cover. A tower shield is typically already readied, i.e. strapped to the arm. The action type isn't given, so let's get into what you're doing. "Total cover" means you are using the shield like a wall and completely blocking attacks from a certain direction; you simply can't be hit from that direction. It is conceivable that your shield is already facing that direction or takes no effort to be in that direction, so it seems to me like a non-action to hold it there. And probably why the text doesn't describe any action to do so. Total cover also prevents you from attacking in that direction, which is maybe why the text says you give up your attacks when you gain total cover. See "Cover (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover)" for more information.

I suppose in rare circumstances you might get total cover from a foe in one direction, and attack a foe in another direction, though I dunno if that's technically allowed by RAW; depends if "give up your attacks" is a hard and fast rule or merely an explanation of another existing rule. That is a matter of common sense and for your DM to decide not a RAW thread... and it's a tangent anyway :smalltongue:.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-28, 10:18 PM
Re: A 67b

"Total cover" means you are using the shield like a wall and completely blocking attacks from a certain direction; you simply can't be hit from that direction. It is conceivable that your shield is already facing that direction or takes no effort to be in that direction
D&D doesn't have the concept of facing. While it seems physically improbable, a tower shield provides total cover regardless of direction to your enemies.

BobVosh
2010-07-28, 11:56 PM
Q 71

Can you counterspell a counterspell?

Ex: The cleverly named trio of Wizards A, B, C
A casts fireball, B counters A, and C tries to counter B.
Will this work if B and C counter with fireball?
Will this work if B and C counter with dispel magic?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-29, 12:02 AM
A 71 Yes.

Assuming your Wizards B and C have readied actions to counterspell, B will attempt to counterspell A, and C will attempt to counterspell B. If C succeeds then B's spell fails and A is not counterspelled. Any spellcaster may attempt to counterspell with the same spell, or with Dispel Magic.

balistafreak
2010-07-29, 02:43 AM
Q 72

What is the interaction between Tome of Battle maneuvers and Improved Trip? Do I:

Simply trip; maneuvers and tripping are exclusive?
On a successful trip, get to use a maneuver as my free Improved Trip attack, since "you get a melee attack as if you hadn't used your attack for the trip attempt"?
Declare I am using a maneuver on a trip, which is either wasted if the trip fails or is used on the free Improved Trip attack? (Unlikely, given the "cannot combine maneuvers with special attacks" line given in the ToB, pg 43.)

Sliver
2010-07-29, 02:55 AM
A 72

You can't combine them. Strike maneuvers aren't attack actions, but standard actions. Trip gives you an extra attack action.

Rannil
2010-07-29, 04:00 AM
Q 73

If you have two buffs that both give a moral bonus but on a different stat do they stack?

Yora
2010-07-29, 05:18 AM
A73
If it's two different spells that give a bonus to two different things, they work at the same time.
If you cast the same spell twice, but each time using it to affect a different stat, I'm not completely sure, but I'd say they still work at the same time.

Two bonuses only do not stack if they are the same type of bonus and affect the same stat.

Raptor2213
2010-07-29, 07:33 AM
A 72
You can't combine them. Strike maneuvers aren't attack actions, but standard actions. Trip gives you an extra attack action.

A72 Expanded
...Unless you use a non-strike maneuver, such as a boost; though if it is activated as a swift action, you would still be limited to 1 swift per turn, meaning that you would only be able to use it if you had not used a swift action this turn. Regardless, you would be modifying your normal attack with it.

DaTedinator
2010-07-29, 01:12 PM
A creature with Improved Grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab) "has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents."

My questions are:

Q 74
Can a creature with Improved Grab use this option when making a normal grapple attempt, or only when using Improved Grab to make a grapple after a successful attack?

Q 75
What happens if a creature using this option attacks the creature it has grappled with one of its other natural attacks? For example, a Dire Bear has a halfling grappled using its first claw attack, and it wants to attack the halfling with its second claw attack. Does the halfing get to apply its Dexterity to AC against the attack?

Q 76
Can the creature use this option multiple times on the same creature, effectively grappling it more than once?

Q 77
How does utilizing this option affect the action economy, given that a creature makes grapple attempts based off of its BAB instead of its natural attacks? If the creature then makes a full attack with a BAB of +10, does it get two grapple checks to use against anyone it has grappled, and then get to use the rest of its natural weapons as secondary attacks?

Keld Denar
2010-07-29, 01:53 PM
A74 Assuming you mean that the creature would rather make touch attacks to start a grapple because its foe's AC is too high to hit normally? Yes, Imp Grab modifies how grapples are handled, regardless of how that grapple was started. A creature who simply grabs a foe can do this, and so can one that scoops up a foe after a brutal mauling. If the grabber doesn't have the Improved Grapple feat, however, it would suffer an AoO for doing such, since it is a bit awkward. As such, most creatures with Imp Grab just attack normally.

A75 When you are grappling with someone or something, you always retain your Dex mod against their attacks. You only lose your Dex mod against people who aren't involved in the grapple. A Rogue holding you down can't SA you, but his Rogue buddy standing next to you both could. Natural attacks made within a grapple suffer the normal -4 penalty, unless something changes this (such as being not treated as grappling by taking the -20 on the grapple check).

A76 Grappling is bianary. You are either in a grapple, or not in a grapple. Even if you are grappling with multiple foes, you are either in it or not. Once the grapple has started, the grapplers options change. If it was attacking using iteratives, it can continue to make grapple checks to perform various grapple actions (deal damage, pin, attack with light weapon) with it's iterative attacks. If the grappler started the grapple with natural attacks, it would continue to make attacks at the grappled creature with the remainder of its natural attacks, but taking a -4 penalty on those attacks (again, unless something else dictated that it doesn't take them).

A77 This is kinda wierd. A creature who uses natural weapons in a grapple is either treated as making attacks with its natural weapons, or taking grapple actions based on its BAB. If a bear claws you, you take claw damage, then it grabs you. Since it already is making natural attacks, it can't make grapple actions based on its BAB (as this would require a full attack, which it can't take because it already acted), so it continues clawing and biting you. The next round, it can choose to continue clawing and biting you, or it can hug you based on its BAB, or it can take any other grapple action like taking a standard action to move the grapple (drag you back to its lair). If the bear has a +10 BAB, it could make 2 grapple attacks at +10/+5, or simply claw claw bite you at +6/+6/+1, before Str, Size, and the Multiattack feat adjusts this. If it took a -20 on its grapple checks for the round to be considered "not grappling", it could claw/claw/bite you at +10/+10/+5, because it wouldn't suffer the -4 natural weapon in a grapple penalty. Since it initiated the grapple with the claw, successful grapple attacks would deal claw damage unless otherwise noted.

The rules in the PHB are designed primarily for PC's grappling with their hands. There aren't really any REALLY clear rules on monster grappling, or monstrous PCs grappling foes. I'm currently playing a Monk/PsyWar grappler with the Deepspawn feat. When he's in a grapple, his tentacles are pretty useless because they have almost no chance to hit. My DM house ruled that the tentacles can be used to make a "grapple to damage your foe" action on a full attack, but again, this is a house rule. If you plan on playing a grapple character, sit down with your DM and work out exactly how he interprets the rules.

Ditto
2010-07-29, 05:22 PM
Q78

Can a swordsage with natural weapons use maneuvers with his claws, if he normally uses a sword as his primary melee weapon?

Sliver
2010-07-29, 05:31 PM
A78

Yes. Usually using a weapon rather than a natural one carries no weight in any single round. Deciding on using a natural weapon instead is up to you.

soulsabre345
2010-07-29, 09:45 PM
Q79 when wildshaping what does the change in con when you shift forms actually do if it's not affecting your saves or hp?

Keld Denar
2010-07-29, 09:56 PM
A79

Your HP do not change from form to form. That is why Con is so important for druids (2nd most valuable stat). Your fort save, however, would change, up or down, depending on the Con of the form you change into.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-29, 09:56 PM
Q79 when wildshaping what does the change in con when you shift forms actually do if it's not affecting your saves or hp?

A79

Everything else besides HP that depends on Con is adjusted, i.e. Fortitude saves, Concentration checks, etc.

Edit: Ninja'd by Keld.

Jastermereel
2010-07-30, 12:12 AM
Bumping #53 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9011960&postcount=128)
Thanks

Rauthiss
2010-07-30, 12:43 AM
Q80
I am a level 10 stormlord, meaning that any javelins I throw count as +3 magic weapons. Can I use a greater crystal of returning on one of my Javelins?

Relevant rules:
STORMLORD ABILITY:
Enhanced Javelins: Any javelin thrown by a stormlord counts as a +1 magic weapon. This bonus increases at 6th level to +2 and at 10th level to +3.

AUGMENT CRYSTALS:
A greater augment crystal functions only when attached to an object with a magical enhancement bonus of +3 or higher. Only the item’s actual bonus applies, not its “effective” bonus; for example, a +1 keen holy fl aming burst longsword won’t allow a greater augment crystal to function, since its actual bonus is only +1.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-30, 12:50 AM
A80: Only if the weapon is normally +3 or greater or if you can somehow fit the Greater Crystal into the javelins as you throw them as they are whatever they are when not being thrown.

Ditto
2010-07-30, 10:27 AM
Q81

Kobold question: d20srd lists no natural attacks for kobolds, but Crystal Keep lists two claws and a bite (source: Races of the Dragon). Could someone clarify whether they do, in fact, have natural attacks?

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 10:34 AM
A81

The answers you are looking for are here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 10:40 AM
Q 53a
In Binding, which comes first? Dahlver-Nar's Shield Self or Savnok's Savnok's Armor? That is, if I'm a level 7 binder and someone hits me for 20 non-piercing damage, do I reduce it by 2 to 18, then divide it in half and take 9 damage or do I divide it in half to 10 and then reduce 2 and take 8 damage? I'm a little unclear on when one has "taken" damage v. having been assigned damage.
A53a According to the Sage, effects are applied in the order that is most beneficial to the target of those effects. If you have Fire Resistance 10 and Fire Vulnerability, you'd apply the resistance first to reduce the amount, then multiply the remainder by 1.5. Similarly, you'd probably want to reduce the damage by half, then apply the DR. You still have the option to do it the other way around though.

Q 53b
What kind of damage is the redirected Shield Self effect? The same as the original source? If so, is it susceptible to DR and the like?
A53b The damage passed on by Shield Self would be untyped magical damage. It wouldnt' be reduced by any DR, nor any resistance.

Q 53c
If someone with Shield Self takes Sneak Attack (or similar) damage and the target of the Shield Self effect is immune to sneak attack damage, what happens?
A53c Since the damage is untyped, the source doesn't matter. The extra damage from SA would be halved, and the 2ndary target would take half, regardless of his protection vs SA.

TheAmishPirate
2010-07-30, 11:44 AM
Q82

When taking a special attack denoted as a standard action, can you treat that as a first attack, and proceed with a full attack action?

Example: This is my specific situation, but it doesn't hurt to know the general rule.

Order of the Bow Initiate has Ranged Precision. This allows the OotBI to, as a standard action, make a single ranged attack for an xd8 damage bonus. If the OotBI has enough BAB to make more attacks, can he follow up a Ranged Precision with however many attacks he has left?

Sliver
2010-07-30, 11:47 AM
A82

No. It is similar to strike maneuvers from ToB. Attacks that are standard actions instead of attack actions can't be used with a full attack. As a wizard that casts an attack spell as a standard action can't cast more if he has high BAB, neither can you use maneuvers or other standard action attacks.

dragonsamurai77
2010-07-30, 12:03 PM
Q83
If you cast a spell that temporarily boosts an attribute just before leveling up, can you take a feat you wouldn't otherwise qualify for?

Example: A fighter with 12 Dexterity gets Cat's Grace cast on him 2 seconds before walking out of the dungeon and leveling up. Since he now has 16 Dexterity, can he take Two-Weapon Fighting?

Sliver
2010-07-30, 12:10 PM
A83

Yes, but..

Player's handbook, page 87
A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite. For example, if your character’s Strength drops below 13 because a ray of enfeeblement spell, he or she can’t use the Power Attack feat until the prerequisite is once again met.

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 12:12 PM
A83 This is up to your DM. The rules clearly state that if you don't qualify for the prereqs of a feat, you can't use that feat or any other feats or abilities that depend on it. Whether or not you can take the feat in the first place is kinda grey.

Keep in mind that in your example, you could only TWF while you have Cats Grace cast on you. If you had the feat but not the minimum Dex, the feat would "turn off", and you wouldn't be able to use it until you Dex again increases.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-30, 01:01 PM
A 83

This is up to your DM. ... Whether or not you can take the feat in the first place is kinda grey. I don't see any ambiguity in this.
Prerequisites

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite. If you've got the prerequisite for the feat (through any mechanism) when you reach step 7 of the "LEVEL ADVANCEMENT" procedures (Player's Handbook, pages 58-59), you can select the feat.

Keld Denar
2010-07-30, 01:14 PM
As was discussed in the Pathfinder Troll PC thread a couple days ago, the duration of leveling is the question. Does it happen in a blinding flash of light that passes over your character, like in an MMO? Do you go through step 1 through step whatever in a second of ingame time? Or is it a long drawn out thing contained within montage? Does it matter if you generate the ability yourself that allows you to meet the prereq, or can it be from another person? Does it have to be a permanent effect? If not, is there a minimum duration it has to be?

RAW is silent about all of this. THATS the ambiguity. The DM has the right to rule either way on this, even following the rules to the letter. Pathfinder defines this, 3.5 does not.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-30, 01:48 PM
... the duration of leveling is the question. ... Do you go through step 1 through step whatever in a second of ingame time? Or is it a long drawn out thing contained within montage? Here's what's in the RAW:
When your character’s XP total reaches at least the minimum XP needed for a new character level (see Table 3–2), he or she “goes up a level.”
Characters spend time between adventures training, studying, or otherwise practicing their skills. This work consolidates what they learn on adventures and keeps them in top form.
When your character attains a new level, make these changes.

Should a DM stipulate a house rule to spend some time leveling up (rather than it being straightforward changes to abilities consolidating what they learn on adventures and through training) that would merely lengthen the required duration of the effect, and not alter the basic answer that satisfying feat prerequisites is all that's required to select them.

Does it matter if you generate the ability yourself that allows you to meet the prereq, or can it be from another person? Does it have to be a permanent effect? If not, is there a minimum duration it has to be? There are no rules requirements for how you satisfy the feat prerequisites, so the answer is no: none of these things matter, by RAW.

RAW is silent about all of this. THATS the ambiguity. Silence means there are no additional rules, and hence no ambiguity.

Raptor2213
2010-07-30, 04:13 PM
The answers to Q83 bring up a question that I've wondered for a while...

Q84
If you are under the effect of a spell or magic item that raises your INT score at the point when you level, does this earn you extra skill points based off your modified INT score when you leveled, or your base INT score when you leveled?

Defiant
2010-07-30, 04:44 PM
A. 84

Always based on base INT score, and no magical INT boosts will contribute to skill points.

Douglas
2010-07-30, 04:46 PM
A84

In the specific cases of the Headband of Intellect and Fox's Cunning, the item and spell in question specifically state that they do not affect skill points. Whether you are benefiting from them when you level up is irrelevant, you do not get additional skill points from them.

In the case of inherent bonuses from Wish or a Tome of Clear Thought, you get skill points for your intelligence score including that bonus.

In other cases, RAW generally depends on all the same issues and arguments as for question 83. RAI, however, is reasonably clear through precedent in my opinion that only true permanent bonuses to intelligence count for skill points.

Ditto
2010-07-30, 05:49 PM
Q85
Can you make AoOs if you are blinded/in the dark and unable to see?

Q86
If you are using a Disarm attempt to steal a sheathed melee weapon, does the last sentence of this process apply?
[quote=SRD]Step 2
Opposed Rolls. You and the defender make opposed attack rolls with your respective weapons. The wielder of a two-handed weapon on a disarm attempt gets a +4 bonus on this roll, and the wielder of a light weapon takes a -4 penalty. (An unarmed strike is considered a light weapon, so you always take a penalty when trying to disarm an opponent by using an unarmed strike.) If the combatants are of different sizes, the larger combatant gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category. If the targeted item isn’t a melee weapon, the defender takes a -4 penalty on the roll. [quote]
I don't see why a melee weapon is inherently less vulnerable to being snatched away from a sheath as opposed to a necklace or spell component pouch or anythign else. Does it mean 'if the targeted item isn't *the* melee weapon the defender is using to contest the disarm attempt'?

Douglas
2010-07-30, 05:54 PM
A85

No. If you are blind or otherwise unable to see then all opponents have total concealment from you, and you cannot make AoOs against targets that have total concealment.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-30, 05:59 PM
Re: A 84
In other cases, RAW generally depends on all the same issues and arguments as for question 83. RAI, however, is reasonably clear through precedent in my opinion that only true permanent bonuses to intelligence count for skill points.
From Player's Handbook page 58 ("LEVEL ADVANCEMENT", Step 6):
Your character’s Intelligence modifier affects the number of skill points he or she gets at each level (see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8). This rule represents an intelligent character’s ability to learn faster over time. Use your character’s current Intelligence score, including all permanent changes (such as inherent bonuses, ability drains, or an Intelligence increase gained at step 4, above) but not any temporary changes (such as ability damage, or enhancement bonuses gained from spells or magic items, such as a headband of intellect), to determine the number of skill points you gain. No effort at discerning the game authors' intentions is necessary, as the RAW statement is quite clear here.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-30, 06:08 PM
A 86

You don't treat a sheathed weapon as a weapon in a disarm attempt, because that action only applies to weapons being wielded.
Disarm

As a melee attack, you may attempt to disarm your opponent. If you do so with a weapon, you knock the opponent’s weapon out of his hands and to the ground. If you attempt the disarm while unarmed, you end up with the weapon in your hand. A sheathed weapon may be considered "well secured" and thus impossible to grab with a disarm attempt unless you first pin the opponent.
Grabbing Items

You can use a disarm action to snatch an item worn by the target. If you want to have the item in your hand, the disarm must be made as an unarmed attack.
You can’t snatch an item that is well secured unless you have pinned the wearer (see Grapple). Even then, the defender gains a +4 bonus on his roll to resist the attempt. It's up to individual DMs to make this determination. Given the Epic-level DC (50) needed to grab a sheathed weapon using Sleight of Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#sleightOfHand), many DMs would consider such a weapon "well secured".

Hirax
2010-07-30, 08:08 PM
Q87
How are ability scores for followers and a cohort determined? To what extent am I allowed to customize them (multiclassing, variants, spells)?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-30, 10:42 PM
A 87

Cohorts and followers are NPCs, and thus the DM determines all their characteristics. You as a player can talk to your DM, but have no direct input into the development of non-player characters.

Defiant
2010-07-30, 11:02 PM
A 87

Cohorts and followers are NPCs, and thus the DM determines all their characteristics. You as a player can talk to your DM, but have no direct input into the development of non-player characters.

Indeed. By RAW, this is the most you have as "input":

A character can try to attract a cohort of a particular race, class, and alignment.

AngelisBlack
2010-07-31, 01:15 AM
Q 88

Can a player combine a racial substitution class with an alternate class feature? In this case, can someone combine Stalwart Sorcerer [CM] with the Dragonblood Sorcerer [RotD] substitution levels and how would it combine?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-31, 02:04 AM
A 88

Generally you wouldn't be able to use both an ACF at a particular level and a racial substitution level at that same level, because the racial substitution level replaces the regular class level, and the ACF requires the regular class level to modify.

That said, if both sets of changes could be made without conflict, you might persuade your DM to accept a blend of the ACF and substitution level. If not, you would have to take the ACF at the required level, and racial substitution levels only at other levels.

The mix of Dragonblood Sorcerer and Stalwart Sorcerer, if acceptable to your DM, would be as follows:

You must have at least 1 HD (usually from a class level) prior to your first level of Sorcerer to obtain the Knowledge (arcana) 1 rank prerequisite for Stalwart Sorcerer.
You must have the dragonblood subtype required by Dragonblood Sorcerer.
At 1st level you would get Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat and not Summon Familiar. Stalwart Sorcerer also gives you the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat for a melee weapon of your choice, as well as Weapon Focus with that weapon.
At 1st level you gain a +2 insight bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks from the Dragonblood Sorcerer's Arcane Insight.
At each level that is not a Dragonblood Sorcerer substitution level you would gain 2 extra hit points from Stalwart Sorcerer.
Whatever your Sorcerer level, you always know 1 fewer spells at the highest level than that indicated on the standard Sorcerer table.

BillyJimBoBob
2010-07-31, 08:30 AM
Q 89

On Arcane Lock.

Arcane Lock
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: The door, chest, or portal touched, up to 30 sq. ft./level in size
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

An arcane lock spell cast upon a door, chest, or portal magically locks it. You can freely pass your own arcane lock without affecting it; otherwise, a door or object secured with this spell can be opened only by breaking in or with a successful dispel magic or knock spell. Add 10 to the normal DC to break open a door or portal affected by this spell. (A knock spell does not remove an arcane lock; it only suppresses the effect for 10 minutes.)
Material Component

Gold dust worth 25 gp.

When you have a Target defined as it is in this spell, is it a rigid definition, or an attempt to set the upper limits of the spells function? In other words, is the spell strictly limited to being cast upon "The door, chest, or portal touched, up to 30 sq. ft./level in size", or can it be used on other barriers which are less than "30 sq. ft./level in size", such as the locking clasp of a spell book?

BillyJimBoBob
2010-07-31, 08:57 AM
Q 90

On Glitterdust:

Glitterdust
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Creatures and objects within 10-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (blinding only)
Spell Resistance: No

A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades.

Any creature covered by the dust takes a -40 penalty on Hide checks.
Material Component

Ground mica.

The "Duration: 1 round/level", does it apply to the duration of the cloud, the duration of the blinding and outlined invisible things effects, or something else? Unlike some other cloud area of effect spells, this one does not mention the impact on creatures entering the AOE, which makes me think that it is an Instant duration effect, with lingering effects (Duration: 1 round/level)on those who fail their saves. But I'm happy to be corrected.

BobVosh
2010-07-31, 09:01 AM
A90

causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell.
The cloud is a burst that disappears immediately. It coats everything regardless of save for 1 rnd/lvl and blinds creatures that fail the save for the same length of time.

WarKitty
2010-07-31, 09:09 AM
Q91

What conditions make a hand "not free" to cast spells? Specifically, would a caster with a shield and a weapon be considered to have a free hand?

WinWin
2010-07-31, 09:29 AM
A89 The target line refers to the upper limit. It is a single taget spell (thus can be effected by chaining) that has a maximum target size. Small locks or devices, such as a jar or latch can be opened easily, a large item such as a castle portcullis or a lock on a dam or canal would require a high caster level. Literacy fail. Read the question as Knock, not arcane lock.

A91 Generally holding an item means that your hand is not free. A small shield or buckler is an exception to this, as noted in the item descriptions. Armour check penalties and arcane spell failure still apply. Feats can be taken to negate these penalties, though they are typically directed toward 2 weapon use. An item can be dropped as a free action (out of turn with DM permission), freeing up a hand for use.

WarKitty
2010-07-31, 09:32 AM
A91 Generally no. A small shield or buckler is an exception to this. Armour check penalties and arcane spell failure still apply. Feats can be taken to negate these penalties, though they are typically directed toward 2 weapon use.

Could you clarify and provide sources please? The build is divine not arcane, so spell failure is not an issue. Trying to get as high AC as possible since my move speed and dex are lousy. I need quotes to take back to my DM if possible.

WinWin
2010-07-31, 09:39 AM
A91 clarification Metamagic Feats, Still spell, Quicken Spell. Source SRD.

Somatic Weaponry, source Complete Mage.

Just checked somatic weaponry, allows casting with items in both hands. I thought it was weapons.

May be others, just off the top of my head.

WarKitty
2010-07-31, 09:55 AM
Ok couple more

Q92
Can a locked gauntlet be applied to a spiked shield? And would there be any benefit?

Q93
Is there any way by RAW to apply enchantment bonuses to pre-made masterwork armor? If not would there be any shatteringly gamebreaking effects to adding in such a method?

WinWin
2010-07-31, 10:06 AM
A92 Technically shield spikes are a weapon. Your would gain the bonus to defend against disarming. Benefits are subjective. I personally would save my gold YMMV

A93 If you mean enchanting masterwork armour, then yes you can do it. Depending on how worn it is, you may need to cast make whole so it is good as new. Item enchantment requires new items, make whole returns them to a new state.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-31, 10:18 AM
A93 If you mean enchanting masterwork armour, then yes you can do it. Depending on how worn it is, you may need to cast make whole so it is good as new. Item enchantment requires new items, make whole returns them to a new state.

I don't believe there is any actual requirement that an item be new or "like new" to be enchanted. Masterwork quality is the only stipulation (and that is only for weapons and armor/shields).

Curmudgeon
2010-07-31, 10:42 AM
A 89

The capacity specifies the upper limit for size. However, Arcane Lock can only be applied to a "door, chest, or portal". A book clasp is not any of these valid target types and thus the spell fails.

Defiant
2010-07-31, 11:10 AM
Put the book in a chest? Seems rather silly, but that's how the RAW works.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-31, 01:16 PM
Q94 Is there a way to get the SPC spell Rhino's Rush or the equivalent on the sorcerer spell list (it's for a dragon)?

zagan
2010-07-31, 02:43 PM
A 94

You could take the arcane disciple feat (CD p79) with the Wrath domain, Rhino rush is in it as a first level spell.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-31, 02:43 PM
A 94 additional info

For an actual Sorcerer, the Domain Access alternative class feature (Complete Champion, page 52) allows you to acquire a Clerical domain. The Wrath domain (Spell Compendium, page 282) includes Rhino's Rush. This isn't added to your Sorcerer spell list, but you can still cast the spell.

For a dragon, spell research seems like the most straightforward approach, so talk to your DM. Since Rhino's Rush is normally a specialty divine spell (available to Rangers and Paladins at level 6) it will likely be 1-2 levels higher as a researched arcane spell.

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-31, 03:31 PM
Q95
If you score a critical whilst sneak attacking do you multiply the weapon damage and add the SA dice, or roll both and multiply the result?

Tasroth
2010-07-31, 03:32 PM
A 95

Roll and multiply the weapon damage (or roll twice, I think that's what the PHB says) and roll sneak attack seperately. It says in the ability description that you don't multiply the extra damage on a critical hit.

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-31, 05:34 PM
Ah thanks, i assumed if it said it that explicitly i'd remember :smallannoyed: apparently not...

term1nally s1ck
2010-07-31, 07:04 PM
looking for evidence for a discussion.

Q96

Is a character who passes a will save against an effect aware of the effect?

PId6
2010-07-31, 07:39 PM
A 96

Succeeding on a Saving Throw

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.
Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

By RAW, you are aware of successful saves against spells. There's no clear guideline for other abilities with saving throws that I'm aware of though.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-31, 07:49 PM
Re: A 95
Multiplying Damage

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied. You always roll weapon damage multiple times rather than multiply it. You multiply any non-dice bonuses on a critical sneak attack, including from Craven (Champions of Ruin) or Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion). Only bonus damage expressed in dice (base sneak attack damage, weapon enhancements such as flaming) are not multiplied.

Defiant
2010-07-31, 08:05 PM
Aha! I critted you with my +1 flaming shocking frost (small) dagger alongside plenty of sneak attack damage!

So now instead of doing 1d3+3d6+SNEAKd6+1+STR, I do 2d3+3d6+SNEAKd6+2+2*STR! Surely you will fall now!

(Humorous example to show how it works - 2*STR only if one has STR bonus; if penalty, then it's still 1*STR on a crit)

Demons_eye
2010-07-31, 09:56 PM
Q:97

What book is the feat Packrat found in?

Edit: @\/ I know its third party if that helps

PId6
2010-07-31, 10:06 PM
A 97

It's not in the WotC feat index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablefilter=packrat). It's likely not a published WotC feat, so it might be homebrew or 3rd party.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-31, 11:24 PM
A 97

The Packrat feat is in Dragon # 354 on page 56. Dragon was a WotC approved source (often marked "100% Official D&D!" on the cover).

Demons_eye
2010-07-31, 11:27 PM
Thank you both, I was told it was third party but I guess that was wrong.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-01, 05:17 AM
Q98
If you charge into a flanking position, do you get the benefit of flanking?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-01, 06:04 AM
A 98 Yes.

How you get there (charging, tumbling, teleporting) makes no difference. When you're flanking an opponent you get the benefit.

Blinkbear
2010-08-01, 07:03 AM
Q99

What kind of spells can a blinded* spellcaster still use? As far as I got it, he can still cast spells, but targeting is hard or impossible. Which targets can he still cast on?

Some specific questions:
- Can he target himself?
- Can he, as an example, cast "Charm Person" on a creature he can not see but shakes hands with?

* if it is in any way important: the caster is blinded permanently by a nymph's ability, i.e. just as if someone casted blindness on him.

Blinkbear
2010-08-01, 07:33 AM
Q100

Can animals with less than one complete hit dice be advanced? Assume I want to allow a druid in the group I master to take a (normal) rat as an animal companion. Does +1HD then mean that it has 1.25 HD? Are there any rules how to advance such a creature?