PDA

View Full Version : To Much Rage?

Abaddon87
2010-07-16, 05:13 PM
I was thinking about running a Barbarian//Fighter/Frenzied Berserker. I was also tossing around the idea of throwing in Reckless Rage to up the rage bonus but it gives you an even bigger minus to AC (a Goliath feats since I was planning on the character being a Goliath as well). The Frenzied Berserker gives a really nice STR bonus for the frenzy, but a rather big -4 AC. If I were to rage AND frenzy at the same time I would be looking at a max total without any gear (assuming I live to lvl 20) of:

+20 STR
+10 CON
+4 Will Saves
-8 AC

Add in the Goliath racial traits and I would be looking at:

+24 STR
+12 CON
+4 Will Saves
-8 AC (assuming a total 10 DEX after the racial penalty of -2)

Would this be playable? It pretty much cancels out a suit of Full Plate unless I make it a Dwarvencraft Full Plate with +5 Armor Spikes of Defending. I really want to stay away form MAD and would probably dump INT, CHA and DEX. Any suggestions from the infinite pools of wisdom that is the playground?

tyckspoon
2010-07-16, 05:18 PM
Just embrace it, acquire the Shock Trooper feat, and kill whatever is looking at you funny. And/or take all that money you would have spent on AC sources and pitch it into things like DR effects and miss chances that provide protection unrelated to your AC; the cost of a +5 suit of armor will also get you a Minor Cloak of Displacement or a Ring of Blinking.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 05:21 PM
TOO MUCH RAGE!!! THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH RAGE! THIS MAKES ME ANGRY!:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious: (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3237.0)

Sorry bout that capslock, but there are a lot more "rages" out there than you might first think. I really should get back to that idea someday and flesh it out.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-16, 05:21 PM
You could trade out the rage for the whirling frenzy ACF. Then you get a +3 to Def rather than a penelty. You also get more attacks to use that massive strength. You loose you con buff though.

EDIT: sorry, nevermind, they don't stack.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-16, 05:30 PM
If your character is going to go past the 10s, AC doesn't have that much value. getting something like concealment would be more protective.

Shpadoinkle
2010-07-16, 06:14 PM
If your character is going to go past the 10s, AC doesn't have that much value. getting something like concealment would be more protective.

Pretty much. AC is essentially useless past level 10ish, unless you spent the vast majority of your wealth on raising it, which means you'll have less to spend on anything else, and that's JUST to pretty much break even (i.e. most level-appropriate things will have about a 50% chance to hit you with thier most accurate attack). A Cloak of Displacement or a ring with a constant Blur effect or something that lets you cast Improved Invisibility on yourself X times/day will serve you a lot better and will be a lot less expensive, too.

You're going to get hit. Just accept it and focus on other things. Like killing them before they can kill you.

FMArthur
2010-07-16, 06:15 PM
I once made (and survived as) a character who basically destroyed his AC as a strategy. He was a human Barbarian 1/Crusader X with 2 levels of Ronin and more levels in Frenzied Berserker. Shock Trooper + Banzai Charge Rage + Frenzy + Karmic Strike + Robilar's Gambit = -2 * BAB -14. At twelfth level I had -25 or so as a total Armor Class during combat. His defenses were miss chances, DR, healing, and dead foes.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-16, 06:22 PM
Get a spellcaster to cast rage on you too. And maybe be a werebadger. MOAR RAEG

Abaddon87
2010-07-16, 06:31 PM
Should I look at getting some kind of fast healing to negate the frenzy nonlethal damage per round?

So maybe just getting armor spikes of defending and then work on some kind of miss chance? Im not looking for super optimization and I kinda like the feel of just a really big guy who smashes things with his large sized Greataxe and can throw a hoarse at you if he is really mad. Oh and if it matters, this character would be CE and a follower of the god of chaos and slaughter (sorry im AFB and cant remember but its one of the core 3.5 deities). I dunno if there is any feat/item/weapon/armor that might stick out in your mind that would go well with a walking slaughter house.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-16, 11:04 PM
Resounding blow from BoED. It forces anyone you crit to save VS cower for a round. Needs Cha to bump up the low save though. Great with a keen falchion

Ernir
2010-07-16, 11:28 PM
Should I look at getting some kind of fast healing to negate the frenzy nonlethal damage per round?

If you want to. The Feral template (Savage Species) gives you some, but that is often shouted out as cheesy...

So maybe just getting armor spikes of defending and then work on some kind of miss chance? Im not looking for super optimization and I kinda like the feel of just a really big guy who smashes things with his large sized Greataxe and can throw a hoarse at you if he is really mad. Oh and if it matters, this character would be CE and a follower of the god of chaos and slaughter (sorry im AFB and cant remember but its one of the core 3.5 deities). I dunno if there is any feat/item/weapon/armor that might stick out in your mind that would go well with a walking slaughter house.

Forget the defending armor spikes and go straight to the miss chances.

Either that, or do the manly thing and get some vampire-style healing. Defenses are for ******* anyway. :smallbiggrin:

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-16, 11:32 PM
if possible. . . get the mineral warrior template. . . it will solve many of your ac problems with DR. . .

Spells and or spell effects to get on yourself all the time:
Displacement
Blink
Invisibility

Edit: and you know. . . a butt ton of other cool things

Thurbane
2010-07-16, 11:34 PM
I thought from the title we were proposing a toast..."To much rage!".

Too. :smallwink:

[/pendant-ism]

Xallace
2010-07-17, 05:42 AM
I thought from the title we were proposing a toast..."To much rage!".

Too. :smallwink:

[/pendant-ism]

Pedantry. :smallwink:

And anyway, yes, miss chances. For fun, you could take Martial Stance (Child of Shadow) so that when you charge, foaming at the mouth, your hulking stance dwarfing your tiny opponents, blood-soaked greataxe raised to the sky, you're suddenly concealed. Hilarious.