PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Hallohon

Pages : [1] 2

Dr.Epic
2010-07-16, 05:45 PM
You are all in the Lucky Slug tavern in the city of Frogbelly. Frogbelly is a town mostly inhabited by elves and lies on the west border of the Southmire forest. A small human demographic lives in the southern parts of Frogbelly. The owner of the Lucky Slug is an old elf by the name of Giiuin. He is over 400 years old and is now retired. In his youth Giiuin was a sailor on a fishing vessel. He lost an eye in his travels and has a jar with five large eyes floating in some liquid.

Frogbelly is a quiet town. There hasn't been war in over 130 years and that was a border war with dragons who have since left the continent after their defeat by the elves. One such celebrity that lives in Frogbelly is the old elven wizard Frizzlebort. He lives in a large mansion located on top of a tree growing out of a second mansion located on top of a second tree located in the center of town. To the west of Frogbelly is the town of Gnometown a village inhabited by gnomes. They specialize in magic and certain fields of technology and scientific research.

The Lucky Slug is quiet today. Aside from you there's only a group of nude nobles all sitting at one table. Just moments earlier Giiuin nailed a poster to the wall saying the bounty on the kidnapper has increased from 1,000 gp to 1,750 gp. The kidnapper has been at larger for three weeks now. They've abducted 8 children and no ransom or spottings of the children had been seen,

halfdragon62
2010-07-16, 06:07 PM
Alexander studies the poster and the information it provides.

After having studied the poster for a full minute he turns, his eyes landing on the tavern owner

"For now, the tavern shall be my first lead... If any shifty characters have been coming through, the innkeeper will surely know, and i can probably assertain who the most likely suspects are from him, he should know the surrounding neighbourhood at least..."

Alex strides over to stand before the inn keeper. "Greetings sir. This is a comfortable establishment you have here! I'm new in town, and i'm hoping to get my bearings, i expect to be here for a few days at least, but could you perhaps tell me a little about the town? I do feel awfully out of place, and any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated"

Diplomacy:
[roll0]

Alex, whilst speaking with the innkeeper, silently scans the current area with his detect evil ability, including the innkeeper.

also, sense motive on the innkeeper's replies:
[roll1]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-16, 06:12 PM
halfdragon62: "Well, the woods is a great location to see wildlife. Don't wander too far into it. Some of those animals are hostile. Frogbelly also has a great archery district filled with shooting galleries and bow makers. They's also the old Fizzlebort, the archwizard. He lives in that house located on the tree in the center of town. I doubt you could manage to see him in person but if you could get an audience with him I'm sure he could show you some sight."

He isn't hiding anything.

halfdragon62
2010-07-16, 06:24 PM
"How about the local shops and suppliers? Can you tell me who's reliable and not reliable around here? Oh, also, i like exploring new towns, but, oh, how should i put this? are there any places or people in town that would be best...avoided? oh, and who would i go to, say if there were some sort of local disturbance? a street brawl or runaway thief, something of that like"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-16, 06:27 PM
halfdragon62: "Like I said the bow making district pretty good. We got some good magic shops too and the local mage guild. I'd stay clear of the human district. There's also this orc tailor. I don't know much about him. As for disturbances, I'd go to the town guard."

Silverking
2010-07-16, 06:44 PM
((Just wondering, do I have to make a listen check to hear player conversations?))

arrowhen
2010-07-16, 06:46 PM
Gemmatharia sips her too-sweet elven wine and scans the poster the innkeeper has just put up. Missing children? Oh the poor dears! This will not do. This will not do at all!

She carefully tucks away her yarn and needles, shuts her knitting bag with a decisive snap! and makes her way toward the bar. The handsome young man earns a long, slow, appraising glance before she dismisses him as entirely too clean-cut for her tastes.

Clambering with no small difficulty onto one of the ridiculously tall bar-stools, she butts her way into the conversation, addressing the barkeeper.

"So tell me, these missing children that I'm going to rescue, do they have anything in common? Were they all the same race? The same age? Did they know each other? Were their families connected to one another? Anything like that?

"Also, who's putting up the reward money?"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-16, 06:46 PM
Arrowhen: The bartender says "The town guard is putting out the reward. As for the children, they're all elves around age 60 and the kidnapping have all happened around the center and western parts of town."

Silverking:ooc: You can hear the bartender and halfdragon talking.

halfdragon62
2010-07-16, 07:14 PM
unperturbed by the interruption, Alexander also puts a question forward, acting as though he has only just remembered the missing children.

"Ah, yes, the missing children. How are the families holding up? Are the town guard conducting their own investigation?"

Alex returns the appraisal after posing his question. The gnome is an attractive example of her race, but the mischievous glint in her eyes dissuades him.

arrowhen
2010-07-16, 07:16 PM
"So young! Oh, the poor things. Did they all go missing around the same time?"

Gemma searches her memory, trying to recall if there's anything ritually or magically significant about that particular number of children, elven children of that age in general, or anything of the sort. Maybe whoever took them intended to sacrifice them to some icky god or use them as components in some kind of awful spell.

Knowledge(Religion): [roll0]
Knowledge(Arcana): [roll1]

arrowhen
2010-07-16, 07:17 PM
Well, I screwed that up. Let's try again...

Knowledge(Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge(Religion): [roll1]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-16, 07:28 PM
halfdragon: "Not sure how the families are doing. I recall the town guard is still searching and conducting an investigation. They're thinking of putting a curfew into effect."

arrowhen: "They did go missing at the same time. They were all kidnapped on separate nights days apart."

You don't recall anything religious or magical about the families.

halfdragon62
2010-07-16, 08:26 PM
Alex nods to the bartender, finished with his questions. he turns to the gnome, waiting to see if she has any further questions for the innkeeper.

arrowhen
2010-07-16, 09:31 PM
Gemma finishes her drink, sets the goblet on the bar, and turns to the human.

"What do you say, Tall Stuff? Wanna be heroes? Right wrongs, defend the weak, make some money, and all that?"

halfdragon62
2010-07-16, 10:14 PM
"Well, i was about to ask you the same thing."
Alex extends his right hand in greeting to the gnome.
"Alexander Darrius, Hedge Knight"

Silverking
2010-07-16, 10:57 PM
Jace shrugged off of the stool as he finished his second ale. He was at the end of the table, but his keen ears caught on to the conversation going on with the tender. A kidnapping, huh? He thought to himself as he sauntered over to the group. He put on a grin and snuck onto the side, jumping into a pause in the conversation.

"Hold on one second, sixty? Since when is that a kid?" He asked with obvious stupidity.

(Is that good?)

WilliamWolf
2010-07-17, 01:14 AM
Korf stared at the poster for a while, then seemed to make a decision.
"Hm," he said, having obviously made up his mind, "Korf not read."
He overheard most of the conversation, though, between Gemma and Alex, and making money sounded good.
"Excuse me, Mr. Hedge and little person." He gave them a big smile full of half-missing teeth, trying to be friendly, "I like money, too."

halfdragon62
2010-07-17, 02:40 AM
Alex turns to face the newcomers as they approach; first a halfling, wearing light armor and a sly, fox-like grin on his face, with twitching fingers and lithe, quick steps that make little noise. Alex quickly figures him for some kind of streetsmart or trickster, but does not detect any malice in the halfling's word or manner. The next was a heavily built half-orc, apparently the opposite of the halfling in build and behavior. He was obvious and blunt, and Alex could easily see the fiery passion of a berserk in the warrior's blue eyes. Again, Alex could sense no malice, so he addressed both halfling and half-orc equally, the hint of a smile curling at his lips.

"Greetings to the both of you as well. i'm guessing we're all interested in this case of kidnappings?"

Alex only needed to look into each person's eyes to see that this was indeed the case.

"In that case, I would be honoured to work with all of you. Might i suggest then that we begin our investigation immediately? The town watch will likely have more information that we will need to bring this mystery to light, and, acting now will increase our chances of finding those children alive, and of preventing further abductions."

Dr.Epic
2010-07-17, 04:25 AM
Silverking: One of the nude elf nobles says to you "60 is just under the age of puberty you foolish oaf. And as for children, might want to go and talk to our tailor. He has a rather large chest filled with candy. We say it not too long ago when we picked up these new outfits of ours."

arrowhen
2010-07-17, 01:44 PM
Ohmygods, ohmygods, ohmygods! A real adventuring company! And I'm part of it. Whatever you do, Gemma, do NOT screw this up!

"Right," Gemmatheria says, "Now we're getting somewhere. Pleasure to meet you all, etc., etc., now what do we do first? I'm thinking we could start by talking to the watch, find out what kind of investigation they've done already. That will help us decide on our next course of action: if it looks like they've been thorough, we won't waste time duplicating their efforts, but on the other hand, if it looks like they've missed anything, then we'll know where to start."

She finally runs out of breath.

"I'm Gemma, by the way."

She begins reaching out to shake everyone's hand, but stops abruptly and folds her arms, a puzzled look coming over her face.

"Wait. Did that naked elf just say, 'these new outfits of ours'?"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-17, 01:47 PM
arrowhen: Another unclothed noble says "Yes. It's made of rather rare and expensive fabric. To a oafish person it appears as though we're nude but to the superior intellect we're wearing elaborate clothing."

halfdragon62
2010-07-17, 06:00 PM
A smile tugs at the edges of Alex's lips, but he keeps his composure. he turns to face the nobles, keeping his face even, he addresses them.

"Greetings to you and your company. i have no gentle to put this, but i believe you have been fooled by this tailor. the 'clothes' he has sold to you appear to be utterly transparent, and, if i may be so bold, i believe that each one of you can see this as well, but are unwilling to admit to it."

Dr.Epic
2010-07-17, 06:59 PM
halfdragon: The nobles look at you and laugh a little. "Yes, our tailor said there would be people who wouldn't able to see our elaborate clothes. But I assure you that we are indeed clothed even if your tiny brain can't comprehend it. I for one am wearing a lovely blue coat and suit. My friend here is wearing a green outfit with a crimson inner lining."

arrowhen
2010-07-17, 07:50 PM
Gemma smirks.

"You must have really smart servants doing your laundry, then. Otherwise, how would they know when your clothes were clean?"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-17, 08:23 PM
arrowhen: "Yes they must be smart. Perhaps too smart. I must be more careful around them. They could be planning something. Something evil. Those clever bastards!"

halfdragon62
2010-07-17, 08:25 PM
"Tell me, this tailor, how much did he charge for your...'garments'. is he selling them to everyone? or were all of you the only individuals worthy to see his wares?"

Alex retains his composure, but his insides reel and convulse with the effort of stifling laughter.

Silverking
2010-07-17, 08:36 PM
Jace grinned at the ease in which he had joined the group, zoning out in a inner monologue, which he promptly forgot. He then did a double take. He had just noticed the nobles, as he had not detected anything of value, and so had not looked at them. He recalled a certain allusion.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-17, 09:19 PM
halfdragon: "He charged us 180 gp each. He wanted to charge us 250 each but we managed to talk him down. He seemed real eager to sell us these suits and have us leave for some reason."

WilliamWolf
2010-07-17, 10:03 PM
Korf looks to the other adventurers and shrugs at the noble's claim.
"It makes sense to Korf."

Dr.Epic
2010-07-17, 10:06 PM
williamwolf: "Yes finally an intelligent man. Bartender, bring this man a drink on me." The bartender places a glass of ale on the bar for you.

WilliamWolf
2010-07-17, 10:34 PM
Korf smiles like a kid in a candy shop and drinks the ale in two gulps, burping loudly when he is done.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-18, 01:48 PM
WilliamWolf: A few nobles respond to you drink the ale: "Well I never!" "This one seems to have some spunk in him." Yes I think that." "Good fellow! Great fellow!"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-18, 07:57 PM
Just bumping. Been awhile since anyone else posted.

halfdragon62
2010-07-18, 11:15 PM
Alex observes these events with a light shake of his head.
He turns to his new companions
"Well, Gentlemen, lady, if we are finished here shall we proceed to the town watch and gain our bearings?

However, in the back of his mind, Alex makes a mental note to try and find this tailor at some time in the future and put a stop to his con.

arrowhen
2010-07-19, 02:31 AM
[OOC: I subscribed to the thread but forgot to enable email updates; sorry about that.]

"My thoughts exactly," Gemma says, "Let's go.

"And maybe afterwards we can pick out some new outfits," she adds with a merry twinkle in her eye.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 12:04 PM
So...do you guys head to the town guard headquarters?

Silverking
2010-07-19, 04:41 PM
I say we do, walking obliviously and talking to each other, completely distracted.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 04:47 PM
You walk to the town guard. It's about a half hour walk. You pass Fizzlbort's house. You can see it on top of two trees. The sight of his gigantic mansion on top of two large trees and another mansion fills you with awe. You pass several local businesses: a few magic shops, a few bakeries, a butcher's shop, several bow makers. Finally, you reach the headquarters of the town guard. There's a large wooden wall surrounding all sides of it. A large tower escalates from the center behind the walls. Many elves stand atop the wall with bows at the ready for any signs of trouble. A few elves in wearing shiny, elaborate breastplates stand outside it. They ask you what your business.

halfdragon62
2010-07-20, 01:06 AM
"Greetings. My companions and i wished to speak to whoever may be able to give us a briefing on the investigation conducted so far into the disappearance of the eight children. We're here to answer a notice calling for assistance in finding the children and whoever may be responsible for their disappearance."

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 10:44 AM
"Do you have an information on the whereabouts of the children or identity of the kidnapper?"

arrowhen
2010-07-20, 03:02 PM
"No, unfortunately we don't know anything yet. But we want to help. That's why we want to talk with whoever is in charge of the investigation, to find out what they've learned and figure out how to put our talents to their best use."

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 03:06 PM
"All we've learned is completely available to the public that's why we put out that bounty. We don't have that much information that's why we're hoping someone in town is capable of tracking them down. It's a damn shame old Fizzlebort is on the plane of Hot-Female-Elves-that-are-Attracted-to-Old-Elven-Mages. I didn't even know there was a plane of existence called that."

Silverking
2010-07-20, 04:38 PM
Jace grinned and slowly turned toward Gemma and Alex, who were obviously in charge of this group right now. "Can we.." He started.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 10:57 PM
Jace grinned and slowly turned toward Gemma and Alex, who were obviously in charge of this group right now. "Can we.." He started.

...and? Sorry, just been awhile since anyone posted and am bumping.

halfdragon62
2010-07-20, 11:40 PM
Alex gives Jace a stern look,"We are morally obligated to find the missing children first" he then turns back to the guard, his face hardened.
"could someone at least point us toward the locations of each family? Surely they have been spoken to?"

Alex curses inwardly, wondering how on earth the town watch had been unable to dig up any leads in three weeks. he turns back to Jace and Korf, his righteous anger fading slightly at a new thought.

"Now that i think about it... Once we have unraveled this mystery i think we should pay Fizzlebort a visit... I do begin to wonder if Fizzlebort's elven lady friends are entirely ill disposed toward young paladins?"

He turns to Gemma, the hint of a grin tugging at the edge of his lips.
"And i'm sure that there would be some male company for you Gemma"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 11:52 PM
The guard gives you the location of the 8 families. You go to each I presume?

halfdragon62
2010-07-21, 02:13 AM
unless someone else wants to ask some questions?
If not, i propose we go to the first family and ask some questions about the circumstances surrounding the disappearances.

WilliamWolf
2010-07-21, 02:35 AM
Korf will tag along to question the families. He knocks as loudly as he can on the door, hopefully not breaking it in.

arrowhen
2010-07-21, 10:02 AM
Gemma rolls her eyes.

"Since their idea of defending their community is tossing up a poster and hoping for the best, by all means let's go do their jobs for them."

Silverking
2010-07-21, 01:34 PM
((Maybe we should go in groups of two. Not all of us have decent charisma and a low roll could ruin a lead for the whole group. Please don't listen to this if we weren't deciding to go in groups of one. More the merrier.))

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 01:57 PM
You proceed to the homes of each family that suffered loss. You hear the sad story of 8 different families. You don't gather much information but while traveling between the homes you pass a few stores each time. One is a tailor's shop possibly the one the nobles in the bar were talking about.

Silverking
2010-07-21, 02:17 PM
"Lets go there." Jace said, stopping in front of the shop.

((if the dm describes something, its likely that he wants us to go there to help the story. or he wants to kill us.))

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 03:15 PM
The shop appears empty. Inside you can see various fabrics, yarns, and threads all scattered about. You also make out a large chest big enough to fit a dwarf that's filled with candy.

Silverking
2010-07-21, 03:35 PM
((Should I open it guys?))

WilliamWolf
2010-07-21, 04:11 PM
((I believe that is my job.))

Korf shouts, "CANDY!!!" and rushes over to the chest, knocking anyone in his way aside brusquely and reaching in to hopefully grab a handful of the sweets. He had only had candy once before, and was looking forward to experiencing it again.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 04:14 PM
WilliamWolf: You rush through the door. It was open but the hinges are severely damaged from your outburst. The store is empty of anyone else but there is a door in the back.

Silverking
2010-07-21, 04:29 PM
((ohhh! I though you were describing the chest's size as able to fit a dwarf that was stuffed with candy. lol))

"Korf, you might want to check that for poison." Jace tells him absent-mindedly as he looks around for anything of value.

((not quite sure if or how to make a search roll))

arrowhen
2010-07-21, 04:41 PM
Gemma ducks into the store, biting her lip nervously.

So much for the element of surprise...

"Quick, someone check that back door! We can search once we know the place is clear."

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 04:46 PM
Arrowhen: the door is open and leads downstairs. The stairway curves and you can see some light source coming from the basement.

Silverking
2010-07-21, 04:48 PM
Jace walks to the edge of the stairs and attempts to examine it for traps.

(Now, how do I do that?)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 04:49 PM
Three doors: The one you came in through, the one leading downstairs and a door frame with no door that leads up stairs.

Silverking
2010-07-21, 04:55 PM
(I edited my post)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 05:04 PM
Jace walks to the edge of the stairs and attempts to examine it for traps.

(Now, how do I do that?)

Well, there aren't any so no need. Also, can't only rogues search for traps?

WilliamWolf
2010-07-21, 05:09 PM
"Korf, you might want to check that for poison."

"It doffen tafe li poifun," Korf says, eating handfuls of candy with the wrappers still on. He swallows loudly and then remembers stomachaches come with candy, moving to the door people were searching.

((Anyone can search for traps, but only people with trapfinding (like rogues) can find traps with a search DC higher than 20. Of course, there are exceptions.))

Silverking
2010-07-21, 05:09 PM
(Huh, I could have sworn I was the rogue.)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 05:12 PM
WilliamWolf: taste fine

Silverking: right, forgot, sorry, anyway, there are no traps

Silverking
2010-07-21, 05:14 PM
(can I still roll? I've never actually rolled for anything.)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 05:16 PM
(can I still roll? I've never actually rolled for anything.)

Has anyone else done so one this thread? I'll allow it but the results are going to be "You find nothing," just so we can speed up game play.

Silverking
2010-07-21, 05:21 PM
(see, the thing is, I don't really don't know how...)

Jace shrugs, and starts to walk down the stairs. On second thought... "Hey Korf, there's more candy at the bottom of these stairs!" Jace called to him, smirking.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 05:25 PM
(see, the thing is, I don't really don't know how...)

This is how you use the Forum Dice Roller. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917)

Silverking
2010-07-21, 05:50 PM
That too, but I don't know the formula.

halfdragon62
2010-07-22, 01:03 AM
Alex, personally disappointed at how little information has been dug up, follows the group into the store, convincing himself that dealing with the tailor will help him feel that he has been of some help to the community. He rubs his temples as Korf and Jace rummage through the store. He turns to Gemma.

"I second you're notion, ma'am. Though i must admit i'm not particularly sympathetic to con men, even if they do target fools. So, let's see what we can do here..."

he enters the store after his companions, instinctively probing the area with 'detect evil'.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-22, 01:45 PM
Halfdragon: You scan the room for evil. At first you don't detect anything but after a few moments you can make out some aura coming from downstairs.

halfdragon62
2010-07-22, 03:27 PM
i motion to my companions for silence, and point towards the stairs while mouthing the words 'down there'.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-22, 07:40 PM
(you guys are going to go downstairs right so we can move along to the good stuff?)

arrowhen
2010-07-22, 07:54 PM
Gemma nods and moves to join Alexander, situating herself safely behind him and limbering her fingers and mind in preparation for any spellcasting she might soon be called upon to perform.

halfdragon62
2010-07-22, 08:06 PM
Alex eases his broadsword loose of its scabbard, ready to fully unsheathe the weapon at a moment's notice. he inches toward the door leading downstairs, listening intently to any noise, and continuing to scan for evil. He silently motions for Korf to join him

Dr.Epic
2010-07-22, 09:31 PM
You move downstairs. An unpleasant spell emerges from down there. You reach the bottom and see a horrific sight. Scattered across the room are body part and blood. Not a spot in the room is left untouched by carnage. In the center of the room is an orc holding a severed arm. He doesn't have an evil aura but you do detect one from somewhere. The orc grins at you and asks "Are you here to see the spider?"

halfdragon62
2010-07-22, 11:48 PM
Alex, gagging at the sight, takes an involuntary step back before he manages to summon his conviction. he slides his shield from his back, his right hand now grasping the hilt of his broadsword, ready to draw. he addresses the orc, checking his disgust and righteous fury with the clear logic that he needs information before taking action:

"We have come here investigating rumors that you have been falsely claimed to be selling invisible garments to those with enough gold" Alex briefly glances around the blood drenched room, gulping down his bile. "But it would appear that you have committed a far more serious crime..."Alex waits, calmly meeting the orc's gaze with a look of determination. When the orc does not answer. Alex unsheathes his sword, pointing the tip at the orc's chest.

"EXPLAIN YOURSELF!"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 12:01 AM
"The spider told me to do it. Do you want to meet 'em?" he says with a child-like stupidity.

WilliamWolf
2010-07-23, 12:41 AM
Korf puts a hand up to his mouth to block a hoarse whisper that carries back to the rogue.
"This not candy, Jace. This bad."
Korf had seen battle before, but this was just horrific. He didn't remember spiders being overly intent on killing people, either, just building pretty webs that tasted bad.
"We don't want to meet spiders if they don't want to meet us," he says a little shakily, taking out his greataxe, since Alex had his sword out. Sweat started to form on his brow as he began to become honestly frightened. "Did spiders really tell you?"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 12:44 AM
"Spider told me to kill people. I don't understand why at first so I asked spider. Spider say 'Just do it 'cause it evil and mean.' So I go out and violently kill people. I still don't understand why spider told me to kill people yet. Do you know why?"

halfdragon62
2010-07-23, 01:23 AM
The point of Alex's sword lowers a fraction of an inch. he turns slightly, whilst still keeping his eyes on the orc, and whispers to his companions:

"Don't attack yet. I think this fellow may very well be a victim... We must find out"

he turns back to the orc, and asks the following questions:

"When did the spider start talking to you?"
"Have you seen the spider? what does he/she look like?"
"Has the spider asked you to do anything else?"
"How many people have you killed for the spider?"
"Do you want to keep serving the spider?"
"Is the spider here now?"

Also, Alex listens keenly to the orc's answers, trying to sort if anything he says or has said is a lie
Sense motive:
[roll0]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 02:48 AM
"The spider started talking to me about a month ago. One day I saw this hole in my basement - it's behind that pile of corpses - and I heard a voice from down there. I went in and saw a big spider. It was really big. I started talking to the spider and the spider told me to kill little children because it was evil. At first I didn't understand why, but the spider just told me to do it and it would make sense later. So I went out and started kidnapping children and killing them hear in the most painful way imaginable. The spider could hear the screams and was given pleasure by that. The spider should be down in its hole if you want to met them."

He appears to be telling the truth.

halfdragon62
2010-07-23, 07:51 AM
"...Sir, listen to me, listen to what i have to ask, and think on it very carefully before you answer. The spider ordered you to kidnap and kill these children, yes? The spider wanted to see death caused by your hand...But is that what you wanted? Is that you want your legacy to be? You are a tailor, sir, and surely there must be some redeeming factor for you to have been accepted into this community. I must ask you; Did you kill those children simply because the spider ordered you to do so? or because you WANTED to carry out the spider's orders?"

Alex finishes his say, hoping that his words shall unveil some humanity in the tailor, or at the very least give him enough pause to give Alex and his companions time to overpower him.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

arrowhen
2010-07-23, 08:52 AM
Gemma reflects that if a talking spider started giving her orders, she'd be inclined to do the opposite what it told her, simply because eww, spider! But she manages -- with some difficulty -- to keep her opinion to herself.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 06:24 PM
halfdragon: The orc looks at you confused. "But the spider's big. I don't know. Maybe you should talk to spider. Do you want to meet them?"

arrowhen
2010-07-23, 06:40 PM
The spider is big. Of course it is, thinks Gemma, who is decidedly not big.

"Do you like the spider? Is the spider your friend?"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 06:43 PM
"I don't know. The spider tells me to do things so I guess it's my friend."

Silverking
2010-07-23, 06:57 PM
Jace, still at the top of the stairs, decided not to try and attract attention to himself. He moved silently down the stairs, staying to the shadows. He also attempted to draw his blades, slowly walking sideways around the orc.

(what is the formula for move silently?)

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 07:44 PM
Jace, still at the top of the stairs, decided not to try and attract attention to himself. He moved silently down the stairs, staying to the shadows. He also attempted to draw his blades, slowly walking sideways around the orc.

(what is the formula for move silently?)

Move silently: use the dice rolling formula 1d20+plus you modifier for dice rolls.

arrowhen
2010-07-23, 07:59 PM
"Wonderful! I do hope we can be friends too!"

Dimples form on Gemma's face as she smiles sweetly at the orc, wiggles her fingers just so, and babbles a string of bright, cheerful sounding arcane syllables.

Gemma casts charm person on the orc. Will save, DC 15

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 08:01 PM
will save: [roll0]

edit: The orc looks at you delightedly and says "Awww shush!":smallredface:

arrowhen
2010-07-23, 08:57 PM
Gemma edges her way toward the orc, trying to keep from getting any blood on the hem of her dress.

"This is embarassing," she confides, "But I'm just the teensiest little bit afraid of spiders. So while we'd all just love to meet this spider of yours, I'd feel so much better if you could just promise that you won't let it hurt me? Or my friends? Do you think you can do that for me?"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-23, 09:01 PM
"I don't know spider loves killing people. We could ask it together?"

halfdragon62
2010-07-24, 01:57 AM
Alex follows carefully behind Gemma as she weaves her spell, whilst continuing to scan for evil, trying to locate its source. As he does so, he glances at the macabre humanoid remains about the room, wondering how he and his companions will be able to explain to the elven families what has become of their children.

Silverking
2010-07-24, 12:39 PM
Move Silently : [roll0]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-24, 02:34 PM
halfdragon: You notice an evil aura coming from down in the far corner. It appears to be deep underground so the strength of the aura is weak.

Silverking: You sneak downstairs without the orc noticing you.

Silverking
2010-07-24, 05:30 PM
((Is there any way for me to communicate with or at least let Alex know where I am, without anyone else noticing?))

Dr.Epic
2010-07-24, 06:27 PM
((Is there any way for me to communicate with or at least let Alex know where I am, without anyone else noticing?))

He could roll a spot/listen check. The orc isn't observant enough to see you but maybe your teammates are.

Silverking
2010-07-25, 08:57 PM
Jace searches for anything of interest in the area around him.

Search: [roll0]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 10:34 PM
You find a hole in the floor covered by corpses.

Silverking
2010-07-25, 10:40 PM
The same one he finds the evil coming from?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 10:50 PM
The same one he finds the evil coming from?

You can detect evil, because I don't recall halfdragon telling you there was an aura of evil. As far as you know it's a hole.

Silverking
2010-07-25, 11:05 PM
Oh, right. I think I will stay in the shadows until a battle for a sneak attack.

WilliamWolf
2010-07-26, 01:59 PM
Korf scratches his head, honestly having no idea what is going on.
"Spider tells you to kill people, so it's bad. You leave out candy for Korf, so you're good. Unless-" Korf comes to the realization that everyone probably did as soon as they saw the bodies- "CANDY IS TO TRAP KIDS!" He didn't like fighting people that reminded him of his father, but he would have to do it. His instinct told him not to kill another Orc, but he couldn't help but feel for the children that were scattered around him. "Get away from him, small person. We settle this the orc way." Korf puts down his axe and raises his fists.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 02:54 PM
Williamwolf: The orc says to you "Wow. You have big fists!"

halfdragon62
2010-07-26, 03:02 PM
Alex turns slightly to Korf and whispers:

"If we are going to fight him, we should try to take him alive. Korf, i don't think this orc is in full control of himself, i think he's under an enchantment of some kind, i sense no evil in him. but if we are to fight him, then i am with you."

arrowhen
2010-07-26, 03:12 PM
"Wait, Korf! He's obviously even dumber than y- er, a box of rocks. He's just a tool - this 'spider' is the one we need to worry about, and the orc might be able to help. You two can 'settle things' later!"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 03:15 PM
random dice roll check: [roll0]

edit: nothing happens

WilliamWolf
2010-07-26, 09:01 PM
"Sorry small person. This ends now."
Korf takes a swing at the orc's friendly face with conviction in his eyes.
[roll0] unarmed strike
[roll1] damage if it hits

((holy crap did I just roll a natural 1 on both of those:smalleek:))

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 09:10 PM
Williamwolf: You punch lands nowhere near the orc. He giggles delightedly at your failed attempted. "Tee hee. What you do?" He smiles unaware of what you're trying to do.

random dice roll: [roll0]

edit: You all hear a booming voice from a corner: "What dares to happen up there!?!?"

The orc looks surprised and says "The spider!"

arrowhen
2010-07-26, 11:01 PM
"Don't worry," Gemma says, forcing her gritted teeth into something vaguely smile-shaped, "Korf was only playing. Wasn't he? This spider? How... um... big is he?"

What did the voice sound like? Could I tell if it was human? Something else?

Knowledge checks:

Attempting to identify the creature through the sound of its voice:

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0] (To identify constructs, dragons, or magical beasts)
Knowledge (Nature): [roll1] (To identify animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, or vermin)
Knowledge (Religion): [roll2] (To identify undead)

I suppose I really should have taken Dungeoneering and The Planes, too.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 11:07 PM
arrowhen: The orc says "It's as big as a moose."

The voice from underneath sounds sort of whispery voice. Also, it's an aberration (which knowledge is that?).

halfdragon62
2010-07-26, 11:12 PM
Alex, upon hearing the voice, walks calmly forward, putting himself between the entrance leading to the basement and his companions. He retains a silent conviction, staring silently down the basement steps, shield and sword held firmly in his hands, prepared to face whatever monstrosity that emerges from the depths. His spine tingles, and the hair on the back of his scalp stands on end, as he directs his detect evil down the steps, trying to determine the relative distance of the aura.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 11:15 PM
Alex, upon hearing the voice, walks calmly forward, putting himself between the entrance leading to the basement and his companions. He retains a silent conviction, staring silently down the basement steps, shield and sword held firmly in his hands, prepared to face whatever monstrosity that emerges from the depths. His spine tingles, and the hair on the back of his scalp stands on end, as he directs his detect evil down the steps, trying to determine the relative distance of the aura.

You realize you're in the basement right? This sound came from a hole in the basement floor. You go down that right?

arrowhen
2010-07-26, 11:29 PM
Gemma opens her mouth to speak, but all that comes out is a pathetic, quavering squeak that sounds a little like, "...moose?"

Sensing her fear, Cat lashes its tail angrily and glares in the direction of the hole, ears flattened against its head. Gemma draws a shred of determination from her familiar's brave display, swallows the lump in her throat, and resolves that if she is going to die horribly and messily, she's going to die horribly and messily with dignity, damn it!

Drawing herself up to her full height, she turns and addresses the charmed orc in mock-chiding tones: "Now, now, where are your manners? You march right over there and introduce us to your spider. We've obviously disturbed his rest; you should reassure him that we're your friends and not some band of common ruffians who have barged into his home uninvited!"

[OOC: Aberrations are Knowledge (Dungeoneering), which I don't have.

Sigh. A large, spider-like Aberration. Guys, this is not going to be pleasant, is it?]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 11:40 PM
arrowhen: The orc says "Okay. I'll introduce you to the spider."

You go down the hole (and anyone else that follows) see...

You move down a narrow hole roughly 5 feet in diameter. It's sloped so you can walk down, but you have to hold onto the walls for support. The bottom opens up to reveal a large lair filled with a large spider sitting onto on a pile of gold and riches. Upon closer inspection you notice it's not actually a spider as it has 10 legs. It's 9 feet long. The whole monster is covered in spikes. Two long spear-like fangs protrude from its mouth. The spider looks at you and says in a dramatic voice "Greetings! I am the Spider! Foolish orc! Have you brought me more people who also delight in killing children?"

halfdragon62
2010-07-27, 12:03 AM
Alex stares determinedly at the monstrosity before he and his company, his grip on his broadsword tightening as adrenaline began to pound in his veins like a smithy's hammer upon the anvil. He remains silent, reasoning that Gemma has a firm handle on the social part of this problem with her enchanted 'friend'. He looks around the cavern, trying to notice any details that would help him formulate a plan (details of the cave; high ground, cover, etc...) However, he also pays attention to anything the spider says to them:

sense motive:
[roll0]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 12:16 AM
There isn't much in the lair. It expands a little bit to the left, but there's a turn so you don't know what's past that. The tunnel you climbed out of was carved into the lair of the cave. You must be around 100 ft underground. It looks like you're in a cave. The ground rises gradually to the spider and its horde.

Silverking
2010-07-28, 08:47 AM
((Come on guys, we don't stand a chance against it right now. Either we should try to reason with it, maybe gain some sort of quest, or we could talk to the guard or frizzlebork or whatever and have them help us.))

halfdragon62
2010-07-28, 03:37 PM
ooc: i agree that whatever this thing is, its probably too tough for us. however, Fizzlebort is MIA in 'hot elf realm' or something, and whilst going to the town watch might be feasible, i doubt they do little more scratch themselves, seeing as how they handled their "investigation". We should try to get out of here though, and try to form a plan of attack.

Silverking
2010-07-28, 04:09 PM
Ooc: Its a giant freaking spider with spikes on it. At level one, there is no "plan of attack".

Hmm, what if we told the children's parents about what had happened. Maybe we will get lucky, and one will be strong enough to help us.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-28, 05:59 PM
Ooc: If you're discussing things like plan of attack you're talking to each other in game even if you put "Ooc:" in front of it so the spider heard what you're saying and is looking at you angrily.

Silverking
2010-07-28, 06:03 PM
We at least deserve a listen check to hear us.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-28, 06:08 PM
We at least deserve a listen check to hear us.

listen check: [roll0]

edit: the spider looks at you angrily.

Silverking
2010-07-28, 06:16 PM
crap. then how do we talk without the spider hearing us?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-28, 06:23 PM
crap. then how do we talk without the spider hearing us?

You're in a cave with an echo and the spider is 15 feet away from you. Do you guys speak a common language other than common he wouldn't be able to understand you in?

Silverking
2010-07-28, 11:32 PM
Oh, come on, in real time games, we can talk outside of it. At least free us in spoilers.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-28, 11:48 PM
Oh, come on, in real time games, we can talk outside of it. At least free us in spoilers.

How could you relay a message as if this were real life to your party members without the spider hearing it?

arrowhen
2010-07-28, 11:56 PM
Gemma puts on what she hopes is her best tough-girl scowl and addresses the Spider.

"Oh, we're killers all right. Stone cold professional killers! My boys here ain't afraid of nothing. You hear them talking about killing you, right in front of you, brazen as the day is long? That's killer instinct, right there!

"Now don't worry, it's just talk. Assassins like us have to plan for every contingency, you know.

"But enough about that. Let's talk business. You got a job for us? Cause if you don't we're just wasting each other's time here."

Bluff check: 1d20+1

arrowhen
2010-07-28, 11:57 PM
(I seriously suck at getting this dice roller to work.)
Bluff [roll0]

Lovely.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-28, 11:58 PM
sense motive: [roll0]

edit: The spider looks annoyed at you. "What is this you bring to me foolish orc! Rip out their spines and show them to me!"

The orc looks at the spider and then to you. After a moment hesitation, the orc turns to the spider and says "But Master Spider, they seem nice."

"Enough! Murder them or else!"

"No. I like them."

"Then I will slay you all myself!" the spider says getting ready to move forward.

Silverking
2010-07-28, 11:59 PM
How could you relay a message as if this were real life to your party members without the spider hearing it?

Fine, you're the dm, we'll play it your way.

Silverking
2010-07-29, 12:09 AM
Jace jumped at its sudden movement. "Screw this, lets get out of here!" He shouted as he sprinted up the stairs.

arrowhen
2010-07-29, 01:02 AM
Well, it was worth a try, Gemma thinks.

"That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day! Run for it!"

Gemma runs for the stairs.

WilliamWolf
2010-07-29, 01:37 AM
Korf and his crappy will save were staying upstairs, and he suddenly sees Jace run by.
"Jace! What happen-"
Gemma comes out next.
"Small nice person! Could Korf-"
Korf goes down the steps to try to find out what's going on.

Silverking
2010-07-29, 01:58 AM
Jace stopped running and sighed. He was technically a good character, so he turned and pulled Korf back up the stairs. His quick thinking kicked in. "Gemma, do you have any spells that could seal this cave once Alex gets out?" He asked.

halfdragon62
2010-07-29, 02:36 AM
Alex turns to the orc, shouting "GO! FOLLOW THEM!". Alex will wait for his companions to get to the stairs, covering them if necessary, then follow them up the stairs, taking the total defense action as he moves up the stairs after the rest of the group, keeping his shield side to the monster as he flees after his companions

'Discretion is the better part of valor...'Alex reasons.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 02:45 AM
You all head up the tunnel. You reach the orc's basement. The sight of corpses almost looks comforting compared to the giant spider.

make a spot and listen check

If youe spot was 14 or better or your listen was 10 or better you notice:

The spider is slowly climbing up the tunnel. Since it's so big, the spider can only slowly make its way upward.

halfdragon62
2010-07-29, 04:37 AM
listen: [roll0]
spot: [roll1]

thank you wisdom modifier...

halfdragon62
2010-07-29, 04:42 AM
"The creature follows behind us, i hear it..."

Alex hurriedly scans the basement for any large object to block the spider's path.

"We must find some way to block the beast in, at least for a time..." Alex turns to the orc tailor "Do you know how strong the spider is? can it smash through a barrier?"

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 05:00 AM
halfdragon: "Well he's big so he must be strong. I don't think I have anything that'll cover hole."

The spider is moving at a slow speed of 5 feet every round. It's roughly 60 feet away.

halfdragon62
2010-07-29, 06:08 AM
Looking back down the stairs, watching the spider approach, Alex tries to formulate an idea, anything that will slow down or weaken the creature."It's moving so slowly that we might be able to land a few potshots on him before he gets out..." Alex checks his supply of javelins, knowing he would be able to fling all three down at the creature well before it would be able to emerge. he turns to the orc tailor.
"Sir, you have been in the presence of the spider more than any of us. What can you tell us about it's behaviour? Does it have any weakness that you know of?"
before allowing the man to answer, Alex turns to the rest of the party.
"All right, we need a plan of action, and we need one fast. i say we get in what hits we can from afar and then flee to a more defensible position, personally i can't think of any way that we could barricade that thing away, and i don't think there's anyone else around that's qualified for this situation. But, if anyone does have some insight here, do share."

Silverking
2010-07-29, 08:24 AM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Ha ha ha..

arrowhen
2010-07-29, 08:38 AM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

arrowhen
2010-07-29, 08:53 AM
Gemma points at the spider and utters a harsh mystic syllable.

Magic missile for [roll0]

arrowhen
2010-07-29, 08:57 AM
Gemma turns to her charmed orc and asks, "What's upstairs? Anything useful? Flammable maybe?"

Silverking
2010-07-29, 09:34 AM
Jace glanced down the stairs, his sharp eyes and ears noticing the spider behind them. "Maybe we could trap it in its own silk?" He said, trying to bounce ideas off the rest.

Suddenly, it clicked. "Quick, everyone look for some hay! If we hurry, we can lock the spider in with the burning hay and suffocate it!" He shouted, looking around and peaking into the street.

1d20+6

Silverking
2010-07-29, 10:24 AM

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 12:07 PM
arrowhen: The spider is injured by your attack. It continues to climb. It's 5feet closer and 55 feet away.

silverking: You find no hay, but I'd like to remind you you're in a tailor's shop with PILES OF FABRIC.

Silverking
2010-07-29, 12:17 PM
"There's the kicker!" Jace shouts, going for a few spools of obviously ugly orange and blue fabric, (because, seriously, who wears that besides freaking naruto) which he unrolls them down the stairs, creating a tangled heap at the bottom, and a small cloth wick leading down. Pulling out his trusty flint and steel, He ignites the cloth at the top of the stairs. He then begins to randomly throw untangled cloths at the the heap to help the fire.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 12:18 PM
Silverking: Before you can light the cloth, the orc stops you from setting his supplies for his business on fire.

Silverking
2010-07-29, 12:33 PM
Ethics, right. He thinks to himself. "I know these are your supplies, but if we don't do this, we will all die and your house will be destroyed anyway!" Jace shouted, shaking the the orc by the elbows.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 12:35 PM
silverking: "Well let me get the good fabric." He pantomimes taking fabric from you. He then says "This magic fabric only smart people see. It's pretty colors!"

Silverking
2010-07-29, 12:46 PM
"You've got to be kidding me. Even if that was some sort of enchanted fabric, no one in their right mind would let it be burned." Jace sighed, turning away to light the fuze. I love you, easily abusible logic. He said to himself.

arrowhen
2010-07-29, 08:15 PM
Gemma stops for a moment to see if Jace's plan works.

(If it does, she'll stick close in case anyone needs help with anything. If not, she'll start looking to see if there's a more flammable fabric around -- she's got 2 ranks in Craft (Knitting), so she should know at least a little bit about textiles.)

halfdragon62
2010-07-29, 11:13 PM
Alex helps to gather fabric and kindling as needed, once the fabric and flammables are in place, he will stand ready with a javelin.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-30, 06:54 PM
The flaming fabric hurls down the tunnel. Smoke rises. Make a spot check to see what's going on in the hole past the smoke.

If you got 15 or better:

You see a large mass still moving towards you.

If you got 20 or better:

You see the spider moving forward and trying to put out the flames that cover its body.

If you got 35 of better:

You see the spider is about 10 feet closer and 45 feet away.

arrowhen
2010-07-30, 07:10 PM
Gemma's spot check: [roll0]

"Uh, guys? It's still coming after us!"

halfdragon62
2010-07-30, 07:22 PM
Alex's spot check:

[roll0]

halfdragon62
2010-07-30, 07:28 PM
Alex grimaces, observing the large shape still struggling towards them. He tests the weight of the javelin in his hands. He lightly touches the family crest hanging around his neck, holding it up to his lips and kissing it.

"Mighty ancestors, guide my sword arm that my javelin may strike true..." With that, Alex hurls the javelin in his hand at the shape climbing up the burning stairs, hoping he will pierce the monster's hide through the smog.

attack roll:(i'm taking into account the -2 for the range increment)[roll0]
Damage if it hits:[roll1]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-30, 07:40 PM
halfdragon: make a spot check to see where you javelin lands

If you got 18 or better:

The javelin descends to the tunnel's floor, sliding downward, it gently collides with the spider but does not piece its skin. I continues to move closer: it's 40 feet away.

halfdragon62
2010-07-30, 07:41 PM
spot: [roll0]
damn.

Silverking
2010-07-31, 12:13 AM
1st spot: [roll0]

2nd spot: [roll1]

Arrrhgg!

Silverking
2010-07-31, 12:31 AM
Jace grinned. A plan was finally coming together. Now, to top it off. He sprinted to the door, hurrying to shut it. "Quickly guys, get some stuff to seal it!" He shouted to his friends, meaning to suffocate the spider.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-31, 04:47 AM
Silverking: The orc says "What?!?!? Talky-man tale my stuff?!?" He looks angry.

Silverking
2010-08-02, 02:51 AM
Jace shut the door, sealing the spider in, and turned to get something heavy to hold it closed. "The spider should be taking damage from the fire, and the smoke suffocation!" He shouted to his team.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-02, 01:40 PM
Jace shut the door, sealing the spider in, and turned to get something heavy to hold it closed. "The spider should be taking damage from the fire, and the smoke suffocation!" He shouted to his team.

There's no door on the tunnel. It was covered by corpses.

Silverking
2010-08-02, 01:43 PM
I could have sworn that I was above the basement, which would explain the door and cloth...

arrowhen
2010-08-02, 01:52 PM
Would that dwarf-sized candy trunk be big enough to cover the hole?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-02, 01:59 PM
I could have sworn that I was above the basement, which would explain the door and cloth...

The spider can still climb out of the hole and put out the flames.

Would that dwarf-sized candy trunk be big enough to cover the hole?

Might be. You could check.

The spider moves closer to the basement. It's 30 feet away.

Silverking
2010-08-02, 02:04 PM
What if we collapsed the basement?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-02, 02:33 PM
What if we collapsed the basement?

A) How?
B) I think the orc is going to try to stop you from destroying his place of business.
C) You'd probably get killed in the destruction caused by it.

Silverking
2010-08-02, 02:46 PM
Jace headed up the stairs after lighting all of the rest of the cloth. "Come on guys!" He called through the smoke.

arrowhen
2010-08-02, 02:48 PM
Might be. You could check.
Seriously? I can't remember if the chest I just saw two minutes ago was big enough to cover the hole I'm looking right at?

Fine...

GO UP

EXAMINE CHEST

;)

halfdragon62
2010-08-02, 03:03 PM
Alex glances back as the rest of the group moves up to the main floor of the shop. He briefly turns back to the shape of the monster approaching from below. He takes out another javelin.

"one more shot." he whispers, then hurls the projectile at the approaching shape amid the smoke.

ranged attack roll: [roll0] (-2 for range increment already taken into account).
damage if it hits: [roll1]

As soon as the javelin is in flight, Alex bounds up the stairs after his companions.

Silverking
2010-08-02, 03:11 PM
Jace sprinted down and grabbed the barbarian before going back up and closing and locking the door behind him. "Everyone, get some stuff to hold the door closed!" He shouted.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-02, 04:12 PM
Seriously? I can't remember if the chest I just saw two minutes ago was big enough to cover the hole I'm looking right at?

Fine...

GO UP

EXAMINE CHEST

;)

Again, it might be. It looks a little smaller than the hole, but you'd have to test it out to know for sure.

arrowhen
2010-08-02, 04:34 PM
Well, it's a moot point now. :D

Does the thing seem heavy enough to be useful in holding the door shut? (If I can move it, it's probably not!)

Dr.Epic
2010-08-02, 04:57 PM
Well, it's a moot point now. :D

Does the thing seem heavy enough to be useful in holding the door shut? (If I can move it, it's probably not!)

The container with all the candy inside weighs 85 pounds.

Silverking
2010-08-02, 05:28 PM
Jace walked over to the chest and tried to push it toward the door.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-02, 05:47 PM
The door is now blocked. The orc walks over to the candy chest and takes out a gumdrop. He eats and then starts demanding what that was all about.

arrowhen
2010-08-02, 06:09 PM
"THAT was about not getting EATEN by the stupid monster in your stupid basement. How could you stand living above that... that THING!?"

Silverking
2010-08-02, 06:13 PM
"You mean you don't notice the giant spider trying to kill us?" He asked. "Gemma, do something about this guy!" He shouted, searching for other objects to hold the door closed.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 12:10 PM
"Hey, that spider never tried to kill me before you guys got here! Now you're setting fire to my shop and sealing off my basement!"

There are four shelves that could block the door. Fabrics, yarns, and thread are stacked on them.

arrowhen
2010-08-03, 12:26 PM
"Well, he's trying to kill you now," Gemma snaps. "So why don't you stop standing there like a useless lump and drag something heavy in front of this door? If we manage to live, we can argue about it later!"

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 12:29 PM
The orc starts shouting something very loudly. If you speak orc you hear he's saying...

Nothing. It's just loud, indiscernible shouts.

Outside the shop, people gather staring in to see what's going on.

Silverking
2010-08-03, 12:42 PM
Crap, I forgot to set my languages. How do I do that?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 12:50 PM
Crap, I forgot to set my languages. How do I do that?

just say you character says in *language* the following:

Silverking
2010-08-03, 03:21 PM
I mean that I never picked them. How many do I get?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 03:24 PM
I mean that I never picked them. How many do I get?

The amount of bonus languages you get is equal to you int modifier.

Silverking
2010-08-03, 05:48 PM
So I get common plus my int mod in bonus? What can I select from?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 05:51 PM
So I get common plus my int mod in bonus? What can I select from?

You're a halfling right? You get common and halfling for free. Then, you get bonus languages equal to your int bonus. You can choose from the following as a halfling:

-elven
-dwarven
-gnome
-goblin
-orc

Silverking
2010-08-03, 06:02 PM
Ok, I picked. I'm surpised the spider isn't dead yet. Thats several rounds of burning and suffication.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 06:06 PM
Ok, I picked. I'm surpised the spider isn't dead yet. Thats several rounds of burning and suffication.

You guys sealed it in the basement. For all you know it could be dead or alive. One way to find out...

Silverking
2010-08-03, 06:25 PM
Jace ran out of the building, better to be safe than sorry. "Everyone be on the look out for giant spiked spiders crawling out of the ground!" He shouted to the crowd. He wasn't sure if it could dig, but he sure hoped not. He lapped around the building, making sure that there were no giant holes where it could have escaped.

1d20+6

Silverking
2010-08-03, 06:28 PM

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 06:31 PM
Jace runs out of the shop and starts screaming something about giant spiders. The townsfolk look at you like you just escaped from an asylum. As you run around the shop, further gaining the attention of townspeople, you notice no large holes in the ground.

Inside, the orc turns to everyone inside and says "That guys is weird."

Silverking
2010-08-03, 06:40 PM
"Ok, not my best idea." Jace tells his party after he goes back into the house. He grinned. "I think we should wait a few more minutes to let the spider get golden brown before we let it out of the oven."

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 06:45 PM
The orc looks at you "We gonna eat spider? Maybe elves in shiny armor wants some." He points outside and a few member of the town guard stand outside interviewing people about what's going on.

Silverking
2010-08-03, 06:48 PM
Jace sighs and walks outside the building again, over to a gaurd. "Excuse me?" He says.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-03, 06:54 PM
The guard turns to Jace. "Yes, from what we've gathered, you were out here making quite the ruckus. You got something to report? You know we aren't too fond of people disturbing the peace."

halfdragon62
2010-08-03, 11:01 PM
Alex stares intently at the closed door leading downward.

'Something tells me that a little fire isn't going to be the end of this...' he whispers to himself. lightly clutching his family necklace, he scans for evil, figuring that if the creature is dead, its aura will have faded with it.

Silverking
2010-08-03, 11:11 PM
Jace nodded. "We found the source of the kidnapping. The local orc taylor had been somehow talked into kidnapping and brutally killing the children for the amusement of a giant, intelligent, spider that lived in a cavern beneath his basement. We tried to reason with it, but it rampaged. Knowing we couldn't take it head on, we decided that the best course of action was to lock it in the basement with some burning cloth, hoping it will burn/suffocate."

He continued. "The reason I ran around the area was that it might have been able to tunnel its way out of the basement, and I needed to make sure before we did anything drastic."

Dr.Epic
2010-08-04, 10:14 AM
The two guards look at each other a little confused. Then the one you were talking to says "Alright, we'll follow you inside to check this out, but first please surrender you weapons. This whole 'giant spider' thing sounds a little suspicious and if this is some sort of trap we don't want you to be armed."

Silverking
2010-08-04, 10:37 AM
Jace glanced at his weapons. "I'm not sure we should do that. What if the spider is still alive and attacks? Besides, we are all good characters, we aren't going to attack you." He told him.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-04, 05:48 PM
"Well, we're be the judge of that. Just hand us you weapons and should this spider still be alive, we'll give them back to you."

Silverking
2010-08-08, 11:52 AM
Jace became unsure of himself. He glanced back at his team, indecision on his face as he played with his knives awkwardly.

halfdragon62
2010-08-08, 02:57 PM
do i detect evil?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-08, 06:35 PM
do i detect evil?

From the two elf guards? Nope.

halfdragon62
2010-08-09, 12:53 AM
Do i detect evil from down the stairs? That we've just come up from to escape the monster? The ones that we've blocked off. i'm trying to find out whether our foe is still alive. If its dead, then there should be no aura, if its alive, then i will detect something from the direction of the basement that we just escaped from.

Silverking
2010-08-09, 07:53 PM
Hooray for logic!

Dr.Epic
2010-08-11, 07:26 PM
You gaze downward at the basement. You do not detect anything, although, you don't see the creature, you only have a vague idea where it is in proximity to yourself, and it's far below you so it's difficult to say.

Silverking
2010-08-11, 10:14 PM
Jace shrugs, handing them the short swords before turning to his party. "Think we should check on our little friend now?" He asks.

arrowhen
2010-08-11, 10:39 PM
Gemma rolls her eyes at the nearest guard as she hands over her tiny dagger and her stick.

"There, feel safer? Ready to go do your job now?"

halfdragon62
2010-08-12, 12:08 AM
'I hope I don't regret this...' Alex thinks to himself as he carefully hands over his weapons to the guards, unable to hide a look of obvious contempt.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-12, 12:10 AM
The guards take your weapons and ask "So what's this about a giant spider and the kidnapper?"

Silverking
2010-08-12, 07:51 AM
Jace groans to himself, not wanting to reexplain. "Someone else tell him..." He sighs.

halfdragon62
2010-08-12, 11:47 PM
"Sir, my companions and i took it upon ourselves to investigate the disappearance of the elven children... I regret to say that we found them dead. The orc tailor appears to have been luring them away with candy before killing them in his home. However, we do not believe that he did this of his own free will. That's where the spider comes in. It's an abberation of some kind, and we think that it compelled the orc tailor to murder the children with some kind of magical compulsion or enchantment. We encountered the creature within the orc's basement, and it chased after us when we fled. For the time being, it is trying to burst through those doors leading downwards, but those doors are not going to last long if my hunch is correct... So..."
Alex slowly advances on the guards, gathering as much power and authority in his voice as he possibly can:"...If the two of you take your role as guardians of this town and of its civilians seriously, you will evacuate this street and call for reinforcements" Alex closes with the guards until his face is mere inches from theirs "Do i make myself perfectly clear?"

ooc:Come on dice gods...
diplomacy:
[roll0]

Silverking
2010-08-12, 11:50 PM
Not sure you needed the intimidate there, man, I think the logic would have been enough.

halfdragon62
2010-08-13, 04:52 AM
ooc: got carried away rping the character i guess
:smallbiggrin:

Silverking
2010-08-13, 11:12 AM
Definatly though, it was pretty cool how you did that.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-13, 04:33 PM
The two guards look at each other. "Alright, here's what's going to happen: you're going to remove that barrier covering that door. Then, we're all going to go down to the basement and see this giant spider. You all will go first to make sure this isn't a trap."

arrowhen
2010-08-13, 05:07 PM
Gemma folds her arms defiantly.

"Like HELL we will!"

Dr.Epic
2010-08-13, 05:12 PM
"And just how are we supposed to know there's a giant spider down in a tailor's shop?"

Silverking
2010-08-13, 05:18 PM
Jace sighed. "Just give my my weapons, and I'll do it!"

Dr.Epic
2010-08-13, 07:02 PM
One of the guards says to Jace "No one is doing anything until we see what's down there."

arrowhen
2010-08-13, 08:42 PM
Gemma loses it.

"What's down there!? What's down there is blood and horror and death! What's down there are the ripped apart bodies of your children! Children that you failed to protect! What's down there is the horrible monster responsible for their deaths!

"And while you worthless bastards stand around up here polishing your badges like stock characters in a third-rate theatrical performance, casting your baseless suspicions on the innocent and fretting like old women about imaginary ambushes, that very real and very dangerous monster could be getting away! Or getting ready to burst through the door and slaughter us all in the street! (Or, ideally, just lying there dead.) But my point is, we'll never know as long as you're standing around up here with your elegantly manicured elven thumbs up your tight elven arses!"

Dr.Epic
2010-08-13, 09:07 PM
"Well if what you say is really down there you'll open the door. I've had it with all these stories and no proof. You can either either show us this giant spider and the corpses or we'll bring you all down to the station for suspicious claims."

Silverking
2010-08-14, 12:18 AM
"One more thing." Jace mumbles, as he puts his ear to an uncovered part of the door.

Listen: [roll0]

Dr.Epic
2010-08-14, 12:29 AM
Jace, you hear nothing coming from the basement.

Silverking
2010-08-14, 12:42 AM
Jace shrugs once again, indicating that the coast is clear, and begins moving the smaller objects that he placed on top of the chest, occasionally grabbing a treat.

halfdragon62
2010-08-15, 06:41 AM
Alex watches Jace remove the barriers in tense anticipation, experimentally flexing the muscles in his arms and jaws.

He makes one final scan of detect evil.

Let that bastard be dead... He prays silently.

Silverking
2010-08-15, 01:40 PM
"Thank you all so much for helping." Jace told them, voice dripping with sarcasm, as he moved the chest and turned to open the door. "Moment of truth!" He said, gasping slightly early as he opened it, because, lets face it, it will be a shocker no matter what happens.

(after about a week): Oh come on! Someone must be on!

Dr.Epic
2010-08-18, 03:30 AM
Jace and Alex move the chest aside. You all move downstairs. When you reach the basement, the two guards' face go to stunned. One utters something in elvish:

"What the ****?!?!?"

You see a large smoldering pile of flesh at the mouth of the tunnel. It's not moving and is badly burned. Smoke and flames still cover the thing's body. One of the guard says "Okay, we're all going to the guard headquarters where I will send a crew here to gather information and so you can all explain this in more detail. If any of you refuse we will use force." Both of them move their hand to their hilt showing they are ready to strike should any of you refuse.

Silverking
2010-08-18, 12:28 PM
Jace looked confused, but tried his best not to look like he was resisting. "Why are we in trouble? We were telling the truth!" He whined like a child. "Can we atleast have our weapons back when we get back upstairs? We obviously arn't going to ambush you, especialy in a public place."

Do we get experiance for killing the spider?

halfdragon62
2010-08-18, 09:42 PM
"Ah! Finally acting responsibly! Bravo! Well in that case I shall gladly go with you and answer your questions" Alex turns to Jace.
"We need not be afraid of their ignorance, a logical explanation and a truthful account will clear our names, however..."
Turning back to the guards
"If we are going to leave here, I would recommend that you alert any guards in the current vicinity of the situation and set them to guard the shop. The last thing the town needs is an uproar because a curious civilian stumbled in and began gabbing all over town about a massive spider corpse"

arrowhen
2010-08-18, 09:51 PM
"I don't imagine the parents of the victims would much appreciate curiosity-seekers gawking at their dead childrens' body parts either," Gemma grumbles.

Silverking
2010-08-18, 10:19 PM
"One thing before we go. I wonder if it had a hoard down there..." Jace mumbled, starting down the stairs with his money sense tingling.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 08:38 PM
Silverking: I said earlier in the thread it was sitting on a large pile of treasure and gold. The guards say "A horde? You think there might be more? Come. We should go to the town guard for reinforcements!"

You can respond to the guard but I'm fast forwarding to the town guard so you guys can get paid and I can reveal a possible new quest:

You all head to the guard headquarters. There, you are all interviewed for around 30 minutes. Finally, the guards gather enough information to see it was the orc that was responsible and you are all cleared. Your weapons are returned an you are given 347 gold and 5 silver each. The captain of the guard then approaches you all. "Greetings. That was some fine work you did catching that kidnapper and I also heard you slayed a giant spider. Very impressive. I was curious if by any chance you'd like to partake a personal quest of mine. I can promise it will pay better than the bounty on the kidnapper."

Also, you gain 337.5 xp for killing the spider.

Silverking
2010-08-19, 10:21 PM
He glanced at his team before turning to the captain. "I think we are interested, but we aren't ready to accept until we figure out the details. What does this quest entail, and what are the rewards?"

And yay.

halfdragon62
2010-08-20, 02:47 AM
Alex is disappointed that the orc tailor was jailed; Deep down he still believes he was fundamentally innocent, and that he had been magically forced to commit the murders. Despite this, he also feels some small sense of accomplishment for helping to kill the creature responsible. He remains silent, letting Jace run things with the captain, wondering with silent dread:

How had the creature come to be in the orc's basement?

Dr.Epic
2010-08-20, 05:24 PM
The captain of the guard says to Jace "I require a rare flower that tells stand up comedy located on one of the mountains to the north. With such a rare specimen, I am confident I could successful propose to a woman I desire. I will pay you 500 gold each. Interested?"

Alex is disappointed that the orc tailor was jailed; Deep down he still believes he was fundamentally innocent, and that he had been magically forced to commit the murders. Despite this, he also feels some small sense of accomplishment for helping to kill the creature responsible.

You can say you made an argument during you time with the guard saying you thought the orc, while the kidnapper, was being forced to do something against his will for a reduced sentence.

Silverking
2010-08-20, 08:39 PM
Jace grinned, it sounded easy enough. "Its a deal!" He told the man, shaking his hand. "But I hope you understand that we want to wait until tomorrow to start the search. Killing giant spiders is tiring work for beginner adventurers, you know." With that, he turned towards the door, expecting his team to follow in suit.

arrowhen
2010-08-20, 08:48 PM
"I should hope that joke-telling flowers would be rare specimens," Gemma remarks drily. "Can you imagine the racket a whole field full of them would make? Still, I'll take talking flowers over talking spiders any day. I'm in!"

Dr.Epic
2010-08-20, 08:54 PM
The guard captain exclaims "Wonderful! Oh, and here..." He turns around and gives you a solid gold vase with beautiful engravings and small shovel. "The flower is to be put into this vase. If the vase is somehow destroyed or lost the difference will be deducted from your reward. It's perfectly fine for me if you want to wait until tomorrow, but once you do get the plant and return to town, I do expect you to see me right away. I'd like to propose as soon as possible. And as for it's rarity, the plant isn't found in too many place. In fact, the closest place you're be able to find one with in at least 200 miles is on that mountain."

halfdragon62
2010-08-21, 12:03 AM
You can say you made an argument during you time with the guard saying you thought the orc, while the kidnapper, was being forced to do something against his will for a reduced sentence.

ooc: Fine with that. All right, so how much does this gold vase weigh? who's willing to carry it?

"Sounds to me like we will need the services of a ranger, or at least someone who knows the area."

Dr.Epic
2010-08-21, 02:28 AM
The vase weighs 6 pounds.

"Sounds to me like we will need the services of a ranger, or at least someone who knows the area."

I could create a thread in the recruitment section. WilliamWolf hasn't posted in a while if you guys think we should replace him.

halfdragon62
2010-08-21, 06:40 AM
ooc: I wasn't necessarily suggesting we replace wolf, just that we find an NPC who can give guidelines about the rare flower (in return for gold, of course). However, it has been a while since wolf posted, should we all take a vote perhaps?