PDA

View Full Version : Ze Fighting Familiar

Ixil
2010-07-16, 05:46 PM
Hello!

So, suppose you made a 1st level character to take to 20th level... And suppose you planned on using a Dragon Familiar to fight... What would be the best Feat, Prestige Classes, Spells and Dragon type to choose (limited to core, generic books and Forgotten Realms)?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 05:50 PM
This is not the thread you're looking for. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007) Blatant lies.

Dr_Emperor
2010-07-16, 06:16 PM
duskblade 3/totemist 17 with the share soulmelds feat should be good, it lacks spellcasting though which means you aren't sharing buffs

Morph Bark
2010-07-16, 06:24 PM
duskblade 3/totemist 17 with the share soulmelds feat should be good, it lacks spellcasting though which means you aren't sharing buffs

Plus, I don't think the Totemist levels count for a Familiar, and you couldn't get an Improved Familiar. And I highly doubt a Soulspark familiar can be shared soulmelds with, considering it is one. :smallconfused:

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 06:39 PM
Plus, I don't think the Totemist levels count for a Familiar, and you couldn't get an Improved Familiar. And I highly doubt a Soulspark familiar can be shared soulmelds with, considering it is one. :smallconfused:

But if you have the Share Soulmeld feat and shape Soulspark Familiar, then your familiar would have a familiar. Cue Xhibit: Yo dawg I herd you liekd familiars, so i put a familiar on ur familiar so u could familiar while u could familiar.

PId6
2010-07-16, 07:00 PM
Arcane Hierophant is great for this. Merge familiar into animal companion, then load it with Shared Spells. Make sure to take Natural Bond and Companion Spellbond.

Yorrin
2010-07-16, 07:01 PM
Well, first I'd be curious as to how you're planning to do it.

Personally I'd grab Wild Cohort (and Obtain Familiar if you don't get one naturally) and then slap Theurgic Bond on there to make the two stack. But Theurgic Bond is from Dragon Magazine 325, so I don't know if you could pull it off.

What's your alignment? Planar Dragons (mostly evil ones from Draconimacon, and good ones in Dra321, with some neutral in both) are a fun alternative to the core dragons. I'm a fan of the Fang Dragon myself, despite its lack of spellcasting.

Dr_Emperor
2010-07-16, 08:52 PM
I think you misunderstood me.

I don't think familiars get anything besides natural armor from your advancement. Totemists don't get soulspark, I was suggesting obtain familiar and share soulmeld, the idea might be better with wizard and the incarnum/arcane theurge, as share soulmeld gives a lot to a familiar.

The best option for a fighting familiar is probably a gish taking the feats and taking advantage of doubling buffs.

Thurbane
2010-07-16, 09:02 PM
I would say straight Duskblade, with the Obtain Familiar and Dragon Familiar feats. Pump CON, and get your HP as high as possible (so your little dragon gets 1/2 that total).

I did something vaguely similar with a Duskblade and a Winter Wolf as his improved familiar/mount: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8590171&postcount=29

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-16, 09:18 PM
Go arcane herophant with early entry cheeze and then take the dragon mount feat. It states that it will replace your paladin mount "or any other kind of special mount" and thus a animal companion used as a mount is a special mount.

Now you have a dragonnel with the benifits of familer and animal companion.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-16, 10:20 PM
You could go for HIGH ONE WARRIOR-WIZARD substitution levels found on this web enhancement http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a and take the Obtain Familiar feat before going into a PrC to keep the abilities improving.