PDA

View Full Version : Alternate classes

shadow_archmagi
2010-07-16, 06:03 PM
I was recently in a campaign where I played a psion/artificer and had a lot of fun.

In my current campaign, I'm playing an Incarnate/Warblade and having trouble re-adjusting.

I'm thinking of making a new character, but Psionics are out because of setting and the party already has multiple artificers.

What do I do

PId6
2010-07-16, 06:08 PM
Factotum? It has an interesting mechanic that's not hard to learn, and it goes well with many Int-based classes, ranging from warblade to wizard to archivist.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 06:11 PM
If you want to stick to Incarnum, I recommend going Totemist/Totem Rager. Otherwise, I'm with Pid6 on Factotum's and their shenanigans.

Morph Bark
2010-07-16, 07:13 PM
Does the problem lie with Incarnum, or with the maneuvers? In case of Incarnum, Warblade/Factotum has great synergy. In case of maneuvers... if you want to keep Incarnum, go with a divine caster and keep that Wisdom up.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 08:22 PM
Does the problem lie with Incarnum, or with the maneuvers? In case of Incarnum, Warblade/Factotum has great synergy. In case of maneuvers... if you want to keep Incarnum, go with a divine caster and keep that Wisdom up.

Actually, you only want Wisdom as an Incarnate, and that's only if you care about Soulmeld's with saves, which are A). Generally on the Soulborn list and B). Generally poor compared to the no-save stuff.

Even so, the arcane/incarnum theurge class is fun. I would recommend it if you're having problems with the maneuvers.

Morph Bark
2010-07-17, 03:52 AM
Actually, you only want Wisdom as an Incarnate, and that's only if you care about Soulmeld's with saves, which are A). Generally on the Soulborn list and B). Generally poor compared to the no-save stuff.

Even so, the arcane/incarnum theurge class is fun. I would recommend it if you're having problems with the maneuvers.

As an Incarnate, you still want a good enough Constitution to still have all your soulmelds shaped though.

And yes, many theurge classes are pretty fun and while giving you lots of options, they don't break your head with very high-end stuff. Plus, besides Mystic Theurge and its psionic friends, they give some strange but nice abilities too.

shadow_archmagi
2010-07-17, 12:41 PM
Oh, whoops, typo.

It should've been incarnum//warblade, since I'm gestalt.

I think the main problem is just that I'm not a high enough tier. I realize that sounds munchkinny and all and a large part of me says "Susan why can't you just enjoy the game without being stupidly powerful?" but then again...

It's harsh, going from "If I play my cards just right, I can completely negate the encounter in a stylish way" to "If I play my cards just right I can contribute as much as 60% more usefulness than the other fighter!"

Morph Bark
2010-07-17, 12:48 PM
Even still, is it moreso the Incarnum side that seems the problem, or the ToB side? They're about as powerful, I would say, and you could keep one of them. A Totemist//Druid is incredibly wicked for one, but Factotum//Int-based caster with a few Fonts of Inspiration can pull off a lot of spells quickly due to being able to get extra standard actions through Cunning Surge every encounter.

Factotum on one side and Wizard, Archivist, Artificer, Spell-to-Power Erudite, Psion or Wu Jen on the other would do well. Since half of those are out and Wu Jen has its limitations, I guess you will want Archivist. Factotum can get Wizard stuff as SLAs anyway.

shadow_archmagi
2010-07-17, 05:40 PM
What about sorcerer/???

I've always really enjoyed my sorcerers, but I can't for the life of me think of a CHA based class other than bard.

PId6
2010-07-17, 05:47 PM
Sorcerers go best with lots of multiclassing on the side. You can get lots of Cha synergy on one side for Cha to everything possible. Alternatively, just take two or four levels of Paladin, then finish up with levels of crusader.

Prodan
2010-07-17, 05:48 PM
I've always really enjoyed my sorcerers, but I can't for the life of me think of a CHA based class other than bard.

Marshals, duh.

PId6
2010-07-17, 05:52 PM
One level of Marshal, duh.
Fixed that for you.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-17, 07:10 PM
Well, if the lower tier is causing a problem, boost it up a notch.

There are a lot of fun non-psionic options for gestalt...if you want a challenge, consider theurge builds. Gestalt is somewhat friendlier to them, but with prcs only on one side, and the possibility of the classes having different primary stats, it can get a bit involved making them. Power wise, not actually crazy, because action economy is the limiter, but still pretty darned good, and amazingly flexible.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-17, 07:30 PM
Some really good mixes

Bard // warblade or crusader. Pick up song of the white raven. Mix it up with sublime chord at higher levels. Pick up persist and metamagic song to spend bardic music to persist spells.

Wizard // Warblade - Who needs armor. Go warweaver and then abjurent champion. Hit your party with enough armor buffs to make anything over leather armor for enchanting obsolete.

Wizard // sorrcerer. Take warweaver on the sorrcerer side. Now you have tons of good spells and all your buffs effect the whole party. Pollymorph the whole party at once!

Bard // sorrcerer. Another warweaver build. Take war weaver on the sorrcerer side. Now take song of healing ACF. Add your ranks in preform to all of your healing spells and they effect everyone on your party. Level 0 healing spells never looked so good.

Archivest // warblade. Nice mix. Just kill everything with the power of the gods.

Fisticuffs
2010-07-18, 06:45 AM
I know it's a shift from what you were asking for but I'd go with:

Rogue1/Hit-and-run(DotU)SA(UA)Fighter1/Swashbuckler18/Beguiler20

Max your Int and Dex and you'd be golden.

Amphetryon
2010-07-18, 08:37 AM
Beguiler//Warblade seems like it might be worth consideration for you. Both classes are high-mid Tier, with some arguing Tier 2 for Beguiler. You'll have casting, tanking, and potentially sneaking and crafting to play around with. so there should always be something to do.

shadow_archmagi
2010-07-18, 09:24 AM
warweaver

oh god, that class.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-18, 11:43 AM
oh god, that class.

Something wrong with it? At least your entire party gets to share in on the fun rather than just you hogging all the sweet, sweet buffs.

shadow_archmagi
2010-07-18, 11:53 AM
multi-man polymorph.

Entire party is hydra.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant to say, Flying Stoneskinned Hasted Bull's Strength Hydras