PDA

View Full Version : (PEACH) I made a social feat while suffering from insomnia

steelsmiter
2010-07-16, 08:48 PM
Alright, opinions on a social feat. I would prefer not to have any "I don't usually pick social feats." type of responses. I got this idea from the fact that I've seen so many Demotivational Posters misinterpreting what charisma really is (except the one with charisma carpenter which was quite funny) and I decided on creating my own feat, which separates those who really are charismatic from those that are not.

The impetus behind the requirements is that generally healthier people look better, and that they must at least have a passable face.

Sexy (Social/General)

Prerequisites: Con 13, Cha 10

Special: The character must choose this feat at first level, or gain it through the use of magic.

Benefit: The character is best described as 'hot' or 'hunky'. A character with this feat gains +2 to diplomacy checks in situations where flaunting and flirtation would be beneficial. Furthermore, Diplomacy is always a class skill for them. At GM discretion if these actions are inappropriate or are taken to uncomfortable levels for the target, the roll is at -2 instead

Kuma Kode
2010-07-16, 09:24 PM
The feat itself isn't particularly bad, statistically, but I probably wouldn't take it unless I was going to build a character concept around a somewhat sexually-minded individual.

The thing is, what is considered "sexy" depends on the individual. For instance, some women drool over men with big muscles, some are turned off by the same thing. Charisma isn't really a "passable face" in my interpretation since Charisma is a mental ability score, not a physical one. Its connection with sexuality is likely more how someone carries themselves and how fluid or comfortable their movements are. A highly charismatic individual seems confident in him or herself, while a low charisma individual, even if they are attractive, might stutter, say off-the-wall or unintentionally insulting things, or otherwise act awkwardly in a situation in which they're trying to relate to another person.

If you want to separate physical appearance from Charisma, you're probably better off just adding an Appearance ability as suggested in sources like the Book of Erotic Fantasy, and switching it with Charisma when the situation calls for it.

Milskidasith
2010-07-16, 09:27 PM
So it's mechanically worse than a skill focus in diplomacy, which is already a terrible feat?

Yeah, skill feats are already weak, there's not really a need to nerf them. :smallsigh:

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-16, 09:31 PM
So it's mechanically worse than a skill focus in diplomacy, which is already a terrible feat?

Yeah, skill feats are already weak, there's not really a need to nerf them. :smallsigh:

To be fair, it does allow for Diplomacy as a class skill, which is already a feat in and of itself. Even so, it's niche and not terribly exciting or arousing.

Morph Bark
2010-07-17, 03:48 AM
Even so, it's niche and not terribly exciting or arousing.

Which is strange since that is contrary to what the OP wants it to be. :smalltongue:

At any rate, while Charisma isn't a physical thing, personality and especially confidence have a large influence on how "sexy" people think a person is. In a society where very voluptuous women are found to be more physically attractive, a skinny woman who carries herself regally might yet be seen as sexy.

Ashtagon
2010-07-17, 03:55 AM
Throw in a free suggestion spell (1/day, CL 1, limited to targets who would find the character sexually attractive) in addition to the +2 to Diplomacy (limited targets as above), and this would be a good feat.

Remove the possibility of the -2 to Diplomacy. No feat should ever make it harder for you to do your thing.

I'd also change the prerequisites to be odd numbers only, as per the unwritten rules on feat design (actually, they were written in an old Dragon issue). Con and Cha 11+ each makes sense. While you can be sexually attractive without exceptional levels of these, without at least basic levels of these, you can't really be.

Milskidasith
2010-07-17, 03:58 AM
Throw in a free suggestion spell (1/day, CL 1, limited to targets who would find the character sexually attractive) in addition to the +2 to Diplomacy (limited targets as above), and this would be a good feat.

Remove the possibility of the -2 to Diplomacy. No feat should ever make it harder for you to do your thing.

I'd also change the prerequisites to be odd numbers only, as per the unwritten rules on feat design (actually, they were written in an old Dragon issue). Con and Cha 11+ each makes sense. While you can be sexually attractive without exceptional levels of these, without at least basic levels of these, you can't really be.

I don't know how above average in a stat (as far as commoners go, anyway) qualifies as a basic level.

Ashtagon
2010-07-17, 04:00 AM
I don't know how above average in a stat (as far as commoners go, anyway) qualifies as a basic level.

Strict average is 10.5. But the "odd numbers for prerequisites" rule would force either 9 or 11, and 11 is closer to that mid-point.

By the law of averages (3d6 six times in order), 25% of commoners could have this feat as I wrote it. But realistically, 25% of the human race is not "sexy". Which is very unfortunate for everyone.

Kuma Kode
2010-07-17, 04:09 AM
Likely because most of us spend our one-in-a-lifetime feat on some kind of Skill Focus or Weapon Proficiency.

You may also want to make it like Charm in d20 Modern, where it requires one to select a gender for the ability to focus on, but it could be expanded to include Bluff as well in that case.

Selecting the same gender would either mean the character is gay or is simply seen as an icon of their gender, such as a "Man's man."

Milskidasith
2010-07-17, 04:11 AM
Likely because most of us spend our one-in-a-lifetime feat on some kind of Skill Focus or Weapon Proficiency.

You may also want to make it like Charm in d20 Modern, where it requires one to select a gender for the ability to focus on, but it could be expanded to include Bluff as well in that case.

Selecting the same gender would either mean the character is gay or is simply seen as an icon of their gender, such as a "Man's man."

Or because D&D is very, very horrible at modelling real life people?

Kuma Kode
2010-07-17, 04:17 AM
Or because D&D is very, very horrible at modelling real life people? What, you don't go hunting with guns with which you aren't proficient? :smalltongue:

But yeah, I'm surprised peasants can survive. I think it might be like lemmings. They all have this one thing they're good at and through random circumstances and sheer luck they accidentally create a working society.

steelsmiter
2010-07-19, 08:47 PM
How bout dis?

Sexy (Social/General)

Prerequisites: Con 13, Cha 11

Special: The character must choose this feat at first level, or gain it through the use of magic.

Benefit: The character is best described as 'hot' or 'hunky'. A character with this feat gains +2 to diplomacy checks in situations where flaunting and flirtation would be beneficial. Furthermore, Diplomacy is always a class skill for them. Once per day the character may use Suggestion, at caster level 1, but it may only be applied to those attracted to your gender.