PDA

View Full Version : I can hear my tablet?

onthetown
2010-07-16, 09:07 PM
This may belong in Arts and Crafts... I'm not sure. The only artsy thing about it is that it's about a tablet.

So it's later at night and the only sound in the house is my laptop running. I'm drawing and using my tablet. I was leaning close to the screen to catch a detail and noticed that every time I moved the pen, I could hear it. It was sort of a whirring sound, like when you pass by traffic on a highway. I amused myself by drawing cars and making it do the whirring sound for awhile, but now I'm done with that and I'm wondering... is this normal?

The tablet is a $100 medium Wacom Bamboo. I'm not sure if it's got any other details than that... I bought it last year and it's been great. There isn't any delay or other problems, it's just sort of a strange sound.

Castaras
2010-07-17, 04:24 AM
If you mean you can hear the pen pressing against the tablet, yes that's normal. I can hear it on my tablet too, and mine's a Trust rather than a bamboo.

Thajocoth
2010-07-17, 02:44 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to hear it? You can hear whenever you move any other writing implement across any other surface... Pencil to paper, Pen to paper, Crayon to paper, Brush to canvas... I wouldn't expect Stylus to tablet to be any different.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-17, 03:10 PM
If you mean you can hear the pen pressing against the tablet, yes that's normal. I can hear it on my tablet too, and mine's a Trust rather than a bamboo.

Yeah I have a bamboo and if it's what Castaras says it it then that's normal.

onthetown
2010-07-17, 03:53 PM
I don't mean I can hear the pen against the tablet, I mean I can hear the computer working to process the movement. The whirring is coming from the computer every time I move the pen; if it's quiet enough in the house to hear it, anyway.

IonDragon
2010-07-17, 05:49 PM
I think what you're probably hearing is part of the current moving in the tablet. Just like if it's quite you can hear the hum of silent speakers or the buzz of an electric light.

bluewind95
2010-07-17, 06:38 PM
I don't mean I can hear the pen against the tablet, I mean I can hear the computer working to process the movement. The whirring is coming from the computer every time I move the pen; if it's quiet enough in the house to hear it, anyway.

Ohh, the processor? Yeah, I've heard things like that before. I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but... my computer is still working fine, so yeah.