PDA

View Full Version : My brain will explode if...

RE:Insanity
2010-07-16, 11:02 PM
I can't figure out which of the following to do:
Make an all dwarf campaign
OR
Make an all-kobold campaign

I just 'finished' a game of dwarf fortress (OMGBESTGAMEEVER) and a game of kobolds quest and I gotta say, I loved them both. I think I may have understood dwarf fortress faster than any other human alive, due simply to randomly going through every button and writing everything down.

Now, I need to decide whether to make an all dwarf campaign based off of a group of dwarves doing missions for the ruler of their fortress (and ecountering the dwarf fortress style of horror and hilarity along the way) or one of a group off kobolds going on missions to help protect their cave and dealing with the cruelty of the larger folk.

Any preferences from the people?

mabriss lethe
2010-07-16, 11:10 PM
a goblin mob game is also a rather fun type of game. basically, run it as some sort of modified gestalt where each player is a mob of goblins and each goblin in the mob contributes class levels to the "pc"

Private-Prinny
2010-07-16, 11:14 PM
Go with Dwarves. I don't think Kobolds have anything this awesome. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7814.msg257943#msg257943)

2010-07-16, 11:14 PM
Yes, I know what those are and they are fun, but I wants ta know if I should do kobold or dwarf!
EDIT: DAMN NINJA PRINNY! The above comment was about gob mobs.
I'll take a few more votes before I decide, for I like the idea of a group of killa kobolds turning the tables.

NowhereMan583
2010-07-16, 11:22 PM
I vote kobolds. Why? Because kobolds are awesome. If you can locate/borrow/glance at a copy, you should read the write-up for kobolds in Races of the Dragon. Trust me, reading that will solve your problem immediately.

2010-07-16, 11:23 PM
I can just imagine a team of kobolds disarming traps and using them againt the enemy, or putting scorpions in their slings.

Savannah
2010-07-16, 11:25 PM
I'd suggest dwarves. I've seen at least one pbp all kobold game, but I don't think I've seen any all dwarf games.

2010-07-16, 11:39 PM
Okay. Unless the next vote is for kobolds, it's a dwarf game.

Prodan
2010-07-16, 11:40 PM
Dwarves...

NelKor
2010-07-16, 11:41 PM
Kobolds, Because only Kobolds trap everything.

Touchy
2010-07-16, 11:47 PM
As a kobold fan, I gotta go with kobolds, because tiny, pathetic lizards fighting against monsters and winning is the best mental image ever.

But yeah, I haven't heard of a all dwarf game, an all elf game could also be fun, as long as it's 'holier than thou' elves, who constantly berate everyone of their non-elf enemies.

Yukitsu
2010-07-16, 11:51 PM
Dwarves, unless it's the fuzzy orange kobolds, in which case it should be PVP dwarves and kobolds.

aivanther
2010-07-16, 11:58 PM
Dwarves!!!!!!

Randel
2010-07-17, 12:58 AM
Kobolds.

Kobolds lay eggs, thus you could have a big guarded chamber full of eggs while all the kobolds go about their business. Plus, Kobolds are related to dragons, one shot of a Polymorph any Object should be able to turn a kobold permanently into a dragon... or at least have it last several hours. It still should be easier to turn a kobold into a dragon than to turn a dwarf into anything even remotely as cool (except maybe trolls or something).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-17, 01:21 AM
Kobolds.

Kobolds lay eggs, thus you could have a big guarded chamber full of eggs while all the kobolds go about their business. Plus, Kobolds are related to dragons, one shot of a Polymorph any Object should be able to turn a kobold permanently into a dragon... or at least have it last several hours. It still should be easier to turn a kobold into a dragon than to turn a dwarf into anything even remotely as cool (except maybe trolls or something).

Actually it takes just one feat to change kobolds into dragons (the feat in question is Dragonwrought found in Races of the Dragon) :biggrin:

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-17, 03:58 AM
I actually have to say Kolbods, because a militant race of small framed lizards using guerrilla tactics in tunnels and winning is to awesome. Also, Tuckers Kolbods come to mind. -http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

Dwarfs are indeed epic and all, not to mention Manliness Incarnate. However, Kolbods represent intelligence. Intelligence always wins in the battlefield ;]

Morph Bark
2010-07-17, 04:10 AM
Make it a Dwarf campaign with Kobolds as the enemies. Perhaps you could make it a short adventure, and have the next one be one where the players play Kobolds that fight against Dwarves (possibly including relatives and friends of their previous Dwarf PCs).

Reynard
2010-07-17, 04:30 AM
Kobolds, Because only Kobolds trap everything.

Somebody hasn't played Dwarf Fortress.

FMArthur
2010-07-17, 10:19 AM
Kobolds. Any small-anything campaign is awesome because of Swarmfighting. A gang of spear-wielding kobolds with Wolfpack, Formation Expert and Swarmfighting is too great an opportunity to pass up. Especially since they can wield tiny spears one-handed with no penalty. :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-17, 10:21 AM
Go All Dwarf. I've been itching to play an all dwarf game :smallwink:

Pablo Sheraton
2010-07-17, 10:25 AM
Especially since they can wield tiny spears one-handed with no penalty.

I believe they still take a penalty either for using a two-handed weapon in one hand, or a weapon of inappropriate size. If you are using slight build in a way to get around that, you're applying it to wielding weapons in two different ways, as far as I can tell, and that's just weird.

2010-07-17, 10:33 AM
Just a note, I WILL NOT BE USING ANY FEATS OR ABILITIES OUTSIDE OF THE CORE BOOKS!

Lemme just let that sink in a minute for everyone...
EDIT: I just did a recount, and I didn't count any of the vague answers or replies without a vote, and I got:
Dorfs:7
Cutebolds:6

Pablo Sheraton
2010-07-17, 10:44 AM
I vote Dorfs, just because they are awesomer.

2010-07-17, 10:55 AM
Alright.
I was gonna do this according to tennis rules, where the first person to be two ahead and get to four won. Then, I went to bed and everything got mixed up.
Dwarves are now past four, and two ahead, so DORFS IT IS!

FMArthur
2010-07-17, 11:37 AM
I believe they still take a penalty either for using a two-handed weapon in one hand, or a weapon of inappropriate size. If you are using slight build in a way to get around that, you're applying it to wielding weapons in two different ways, as far as I can tell, and that's just weird.

Slight Build lets you wield weapons made for creatures of one size category smaller than you at no penalty. Weapons too small for you decreases the effort of wielding them from Two-handed to one-handed to light, and there is no additional penalty that needs avoiding from this part of it. The weapon is being wielded in one way and in what is likely the intended use of Sleight Build to begin with. What's the second way you think I'm applying it to?

dgnslyr
2010-07-17, 08:24 PM
I say Dwarf game. Load it with Dwarf Fortress quirks. The capital of the Dwarven empire is built around Planepacked.

I should play Dwarf Fortress again. Still pretty new to the game.

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-17, 08:36 PM
Well, you've gone Dorf. Cool, cool. I think you're honour-bound to have NPC Cutebolds involved too. Calling them enemies is probably a bit of a stretch, but certainly they should be a presence.

:smallsmile:

2010-07-17, 08:43 PM
Oh hell yes there will be cutebolds.

Greenish
2010-07-17, 09:23 PM
Slight Build lets you wield weapons made for creatures of one size category smaller than you at no penalty. Weapons too small for you decreases the effort of wielding them from Two-handed to one-handed to light, and there is no additional penalty that needs avoiding from this part of it. The weapon is being wielded in one way and in what is likely the intended use of Sleight Build to begin with. What's the second way you think I'm applying it to?It doesn't really matter in this case: the only difference between a Tiny spear and a Small shortspear for the kobold is that the spear costs 1 gp more.

Stone Heart
2010-07-17, 10:31 PM
a goblin mob game is also a rather fun type of game. basically, run it as some sort of modified gestalt where each player is a mob of goblins and each goblin in the mob contributes class levels to the "pc"

My thought process was totally different, I am gonna try to run a campaign where the goblins are the Mob, as in the Mafia now.