PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Spell Inspired Fighter Class Features (PEACH)

Rowanomicon
2010-07-17, 01:57 AM
I will make this a proper homebrew class. That's why I made the word "Fighter" in bold every time: so that I would be able tot find it and and change it when I have a different name.

For now I'd like to know what people think of these Class Features and what Level you would give them at if they were just be added to the PHB Fighter Class as is? I want to know what many of the more experienced homebrewers here have to say.

Battlefield Smarts:
As as Standard Action a Fighter may heal himself or a creature within his reach a number of Hit Point equal to his Class Level. He may only do this once per target per injury.
A Fighter can tell whether a weapon they can see (or sense) within 25 ft. + 5 ft./Class level is poisonous. They can determine the exact type of poison with a DC 20 Wisdom check. A character with the Craft (alchemy) skill may try a DC 20 Craft (alchemy) check if the Wisdom check fails, or may try the Craft (alchemy) check prior to the Wisdom check.
As a Standard Action a Fighter whether a single creature with 30 feet is dead, fragile (alive and wounded, with 3 or fewer hit points left), fighting off death (alive with 4 or more hit points), undead, or neither alive nor dead (such as a construct).

Focus:
A number of times per day equal to their Class level a Fighter may take a Standard action to focus on a task and gain a Competence Bonus equal to their Class Level on a single Attack Roll, Saving Throw, or Skill Check. They must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.

Invigorate:
A number of times per day equal to their Class level a Fighter may take a Standard Action to centre themselves, heighten their awareness, and become more alive in the moment. They gain a number of Temporary Hit Points and Resistance Bonus to their Saving Throws equal to their Class Level. This lasts for 1 minute.

[/u]Battle Presence:[/u]
All enemies within 50 feet of a Fighter who can see them or know they're there take a penalty equal to the Fighter's Class Level on all Attack Rolls and Saving Throws against fear effects.
All allies within 50 feet of a Fighter who can see them or know they're there get a bonus equal to the Fighter's Class level on all Attack Rolls and Saving Throws against fear effects.
Multiple Fighter's Battle Presences do stack.
A Fighter does not count as their own ally, but does count as the ally of any allied Fighters they are within range and aware of.

Threatening Menace:
As a Standard Action a Fighter may use any tactic to instill fear in single creature with less Hit Dice than them within 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 Class Levels.
The Target Creature must make a Will Save against DC 10 + the Fighter's Class Level or become Frightened for 1d4 rounds. If they succeed they still become Shaken fro 1 round.
The Target Creature gains a +1 bonus for every time they have been subjected to this ability by that particular Fighter.

Born to Kill:
A Fighter gains a Luck Bonus on all Attack and Damage Rolls equal to 1/3 his Class Level (round down).

Tough it Out:
A Fighter gains a bonus equal to his Class level on all saves to withstand conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
A Fighter may also ignore the first few points of energy damage that they would take each day. This amount is equal to 3 x Class Level.

Duck and Weave:
Whenever a Fighter moves, from a 5 foot step to a charge, he may maneuver is such a way that each ranged attack directed at you for which the attacker must make an attack roll has a 20% miss chance (similar to the effects of concealment). Other attacks that simply work at a distance are not affected.

Impenetrable Defenses:
A Fighter gains both a Dodge and a Deflection bonus to their Armor Class equal to 1/4 their Class Level.

Rouse Courage:
As a Standard Action a Fighter may instill courage in the subject, granting it a +4 morale bonus against fear effects for 1 minute per (Fighter's) Class Level. If the subject is under the influence of a fear effect when receiving the effect of this ability the fear effect is suppressed for the duration of this effect.

Physical Potentiation:
A number of times a day equal to their Class Level a Fighter may, as a Standard Action, choose one of their physical Ability Scores (Str, Con, or Dex) and gain an Enhancement Bonus to it equal to 1/4 their Class Level. The bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Fighter's Class Level.

Deadly Momentum:[/b]
Fighters get pumped up by the adrenaline rush of killing.
Whenever a Fighter kills a creature that they gain Experience Points from they also gain 1d8 Temporary Hit Points and + 2 bonus to Strength for 1 minute per HD of the creature killed.

[u]Paralyzing Strike:
Fighters have learned where and how to strike an opponent to momentarily paralyze them.
A fighter may declare any physical attack a Paralyzing Strike and take a -5 penalty on the Attack and Damage Rolls.
If they succeed on the Attack Roll the target takes damage as usually (with the -5 penalty applied to the damage, minimum 1) and is also paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to the Fighter's Class Level.
The Fighter may reverse this with a successful Touch Attack.

Defend:
As a Standard Action a Fighter may choose to defend one of his allies or any single creature. He counts as Defending that target as long as he is with 10 feet of the target or between the target and their attacker.
While under the Fighter's defense the target gains a Deflection Bonus equal to 1/4 the Fighter's Class Level to their AC and half the Hit Point damage they take is taken by the Fighter instead. If the Fighter is not between the target and their attacker and is more than 5 feet away from the target he may, and must, take a 5 foot step towards the target at the time of the attack or end this effect and deny the target it's benefit.

Blinding/Deafening Strike:
Fighters have learned where and how to strike an opponent to momentarily blind of deafen them.
A fighter may declare any physical attack a Blinding or Deafening Attack and take a -5 penalty on the Attack and Damage Rolls.
If they succeed on the Attack Roll the target takes damage as usually (with the -5 penalty applied to the damage, minimum 1) and is also blinded or deafened for a number of rounds equal to the Fighter's Class Level.

herbe
2010-07-17, 04:51 AM
Fighters class features are feats.

Battlefield Smarts
healing: weak at every lvl
poison and heath-seeing is only flavour

Rouse Courage, Invigorate and Focus worth a feat.
Born to kill, Impenetrable Defenses, Battle Presence are too good for a feat.

DracoDei
2010-07-17, 06:49 AM
Poison detection finds traps and hidden creatures...

Rowanomicon
2010-07-17, 03:18 PM
Fighters class features are feats.

Battlefield Smarts
healing: weak at every lvl
poison and heath-seeing is only flavour

Rouse Courage, Invigorate and Focus worth a feat.
Born to kill, Impenetrable Defenses, Battle Presence are too good for a feat.

Well part of the point of these is that the Feats that a Fighter gets do not grant him nearly the same level of power and versatility that other classes get. For example the Cleric: can be a better fighter than a Fighter and do several other useful things as well. That's without "optimization."

So I think that a class filling the role of a Fighter ought to get something more powerful that a feat in the later levels.

That said, thank you for your feedback.
I think you're saying that Battle Smarts is the weakest ability. I agree. I would give that ability at Level 1. Do you think I should make the healing equal to double the Class Level?

So Rouse Courage, Invigorate, and Focus are worth a feat. I'd say that means they can be given before Level 6. would you agree?

If Born to Kill, Battle Presence, and Impenetrable Defenses are too good for feats then they should maybe be given at later Levels. Do you have any thoughts of what Levels? Born to Kill at 6 (I was thinking 3 because it would only be a +1 bonus at that point and progress with level)? Impenetrable Defenses at 8 (I was thinking 4 for the same reason)? Of course if the fraction were changed to make either of them stronger or weaker it would make sense to change what level they were granted at as well.

Poison detection finds traps and hidden creatures...
The spell: yes. This ability:no

Battlefield Smarts:
A Fighter can tell whether a weapon they can see (or sense) within 25 ft. + 5 ft./Class level is poisonous. They can determine the exact type of poison with a DC 20 Wisdom check. A character with the Craft (alchemy) skill may try a DC 20 Craft (alchemy) check if the Wisdom check fails, or may try the Craft (alchemy) check prior to the Wisdom check.
For clarity I'd like to point out that when I say "sense" I mean that he already knows it is there and can perceive it with one of his senses. Sight would be the most common, but in D&D other are possible (ex. certain races have Scent, even a human may spell something and recognize it as noxious).

EDIT: Edited OP. There's more now and I changed some messed up wording and added something to Tough it Out.