PDA

View Full Version : Wartroll

quiet1mi
2010-07-17, 02:41 AM
Where is War troll from? I am planning on making a tragic NPC/PC that is a Half-Green Dragon War Troll.

ryzouken
2010-07-17, 02:46 AM
2 minutes of Google identifies its source as Monstrous Manual III.

I've actually fought those before... half green dragon war trolls...

quiet1mi
2010-07-17, 03:35 AM
Found it... Thank you.

What level would a PC be before adding classes as a wartroll? A half-Green Dragon Wartroll?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-07-17, 03:45 AM
It has a +6 LA, and 12 HD (levels) of Monstrous Humanoid, and Half-Dragon adds another +3 LA, so it would be ECL 21 or equivalent to a level 21 PC before any class levels are added. With a single level in any class it would be a level 22 PC.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-17, 06:42 AM
On the bright side, it's only CR 14 if you'd rather make it an NPC. This would probably be better, since it's basically immortal (being immune to the only damage type that bypasses its regeneration).

JeminiZero
2010-07-17, 07:36 AM
On the bright side, it's only CR 14 if you'd rather make it an NPC. This would probably be better, since it's basically immortal (being immune to the only damage type that bypasses its regeneration).

Its only partly immortal, being immune to HP damage. This setup even has its own entry on TV tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllTrollsAreDifferent), so I'll quote from there instead:

And with the right templates, can have no vulnerabilities. Laying a template which grants immunity to acid on a war troll leads to a monster that cannot be killed by hitpoint damage, although it can still be (temporarily) knocked out, and killed by drowning, Constitution Damage/Drain and Energy Drain.

Radar
2010-07-17, 07:53 AM
There is still Trollbane. If I remember correctly, it is impossible to make a troll immune to it.

JeminiZero
2010-07-17, 08:06 AM
There is still Trollbane. If I remember correctly, it is impossible to make a troll immune to it.

Actually it is possible if the Troll acquires poison immunity, since Trollbane is an injury poison.

Tyger
2010-07-17, 08:44 AM
Wait a second... a troll immune to the fire and acid can still be killed by a plethora of magical abilities, can't it? Wail of the Banshee, Power Word Kill (assuming the critter has under 100 HP), Weird, Phantasmal Killer, etc, etc, etc.

Sure, its immune to HP damage, but not to dying.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-17, 08:53 AM
Wartroll green dragons? try War Troll Vampires. That is insanity.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-17, 08:57 AM
try War Troll Vampires. That is insanity.

That doesn't work. You need a Constitution score to have regeneration, which vampires lack because they are undead.