PDA

View Full Version : The recurring shapechifter (Ernir & Haukur stay out)

Ormur
2010-07-17, 09:41 AM
Last session my party invaded the equivalent of the thieves guild in a large city. I expect the incident to be hushed up preventing an embarrassment to both the thieves and city authorities but there must still be consequences. So I figured the thieves would send their best assassin to avenge the incursion.

I'd like to try out the possibilities of a shapeshifter to screw with their heads so I was thinking about making the assassin a Doppelgänger. Since I'm using that race I might as well make him a Chameleon too.

I was hoping this forum could provide some useful tricks and build advice for me regarding this NPC. A few things I've been toying with are the mosquito bite skill trick, 8 levels of factotum, poison usage, possibly ToB dips and some ways of hiding the shapeshifting (I presume that's a standard action).

I don't necessarily want this assassin to try to kill them outright but make things difficult for them and possibly use the chance to strike at them, preferably one by one. If he fails he should be able to just follow them, change shape and try again.

The party is four players around level 10 plus a cohort and a mount.
-A sorceress/wild mage that likes blasting but also has things like glitterdust, wings of flurry, haste, a few ability damage spells and scrolls for invisibility and fly.
-A Rogue/Factotum/Warblade that has a million different ways of adding d6's to his damage, sneak attack, cunning strike, Iajitsu focus, manoeuvres etc.
-A Rogue/Swordsage/Assassin that's the skill monkey and a real glass cannon.
-A VoP unarmed swordsage/cleric that's often tries to be a meat shield. I can't remember all the manoeuvres but he's fond of searing charge, insightful strike and the touch of golden ice ravage.
--His healer cohort that's mostly useless in battle except for immediate action healing.
---Her mount, the celestial unicorn with free action detect evil and a smiting horn of pinky goodness.

I'm looking for an appropriate challenge but the ECL is flexible as long as the NPC doesn't get killed or TPK's the party immediately.

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

awa
2010-07-17, 10:53 AM
first a lot of people seem to get the mosquito bite trick messed up. It does not let you attack them with out them knowing.

Ormur
2010-07-17, 11:22 AM
I know I was thinking that I could circumvent that somehow with a shapeshifter and possibly two standard actions. Walk up to him in a crowded street, use one standard action to hit the PC with a poisoned dagger, use the other one to change shape. The PC thinks you missed, then possibly the person that tried to attack has disappeared when you finally realise you were actually hit.

It might not work but I'm looking for suggestion about the shenanigans a shapeshifter might get up with.

mabriss lethe
2010-07-17, 12:38 PM
you might want to go through Warshaper then. (sure, the number of natural attacks you can get are freaking broken, but the real prizes for the type of build you're talking about are immunity to crits and stun, bonuses to str and con, fast healing, 5 extra feet of reach AND the ability to shapeshift as a move action.)