PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament Round 93: De'Athbypro Xie vs Guy with a scythe

ArenaManager
2010-07-17, 11:35 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 93: De'Athbypro Xie vs. Guy with a scythe

Map:http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/09-dawn_arena.png
Extra notes: Houses are on average 20 feet high (just use that average figure all over the house), hay piles are up to 10 feet high against the walls. And, I don't care whether you're immune to sanctuary effects, you are not immune to the arena's sanctuary effect. Creatures summoned during the 1st round are also affected by the sanctuary effect.

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

De'Athbypro Xie (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=8141) - Psionic Dog
Guy with a scythe (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=214781) - Sanity702

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

Wizibirb
2010-07-17, 12:05 PM
I am here

init-
[roll0]

No purchases thus far

Psionic Dog
2010-07-17, 01:57 PM
Huh, another dragonborn water-orc.

let me think a moment.

[roll0]

Edit: Purchasing a 25 gp PowerStone of Skate. No other purchases planed at this time.

Starting in X-11 holding a shotbow in one hand and a powerstone in the other.
The envoy is in X-10 holding a loaded crossbow. Acid flask inventory is split evenly between De'Athbypro Xie & Dapr Oxie.

If you don't have any counters you may start us off.

Wizibirb
2010-07-17, 05:50 PM
You finally noticed my theme. :smalltongue:
I enjoy simple concepts.

Looks like I go first and since I can't buy anything ready.

Start in x-11

Move to L-11

Ready an action -

move when he ends turn

Psionic Dog
2010-07-17, 09:41 PM
De'Athbypro Xie - Round 1

The elf and enjoy look at each other, then split in opposite directions.

Xie the Elf moves south out of LoS
Move to Y-19.
Standard: manifest Power (Vigor) quietly on self.

Oxie the Envoy takes to the air and flies to P-12/+20.

Done

Stats
Xie:
HP: 12+5/12
AC: 16 [+3 armor +3 dex]
Vigor: 10/10

Oxie:
HP: 13/13
AC: 19 [+1 size +3 dex +2 armor +3 natural]

Wizibirb
2010-07-17, 10:21 PM
Ending your turn triggers readied action

move to r-11

completely spaced on something last turn that could get me in trouble

Turn 2

Swift - Activate travel devotion

move to y-13

Need Los before turn ends.

Sallera
2010-07-17, 10:23 PM
Since you don't see Xie end his turn, your readied action isn't triggered. Please revise your turn.

Wizibirb
2010-07-17, 10:28 PM
huh.... ok

Refs/Los

activate travel devotion

move to q-14

ready an action -

move if Los is established

TheFallenOne
2010-07-18, 04:39 AM
Since you don't see Xie end his turn, your readied action isn't triggered. Please revise your turn.

That's something I've been wondering a while. Do envoy and Xie share an initiative since the elemental is a class feature or can their initiative be split up? The way Psidog and I played it seems strange in retrospect, on the one hand they could be split through readied actions, on the other hand they took their turns at exactly the same time so Xie could move, then the envoy do something, then Xie complete his turn, which normally isn't possible

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 06:42 AM
I believe Elf and Envoy do indeed act on the same initiative, but suppose "if Xie ends turn" might require LoS to Xie specifically rather than any member of Team-Xie. *shrug* I can see it going either way.

I'll let this sit a little incase someone wants to reverse the ruling, but will otherwise post turn in a few hours.

@TheFallenOne
While I believe the initiative can be split, I don't think they can act on different initiative counts. I've been playing that if the initiative ever did get split that the earlier acting must delay to rejoin with the latter. In 1v1 this doesn't change much if anything, but could be a significant consideration in a 2v2 or FFA. Mostly I tried to use synchronized readied actions to minimize initiative splitting,

Wizibirb
2010-07-18, 11:42 AM
While I appreciate the questions, because I myself do not agree with the ruling, however you live and learn I should of worded it differently and as such will keep my turn the way it currently is.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 03:47 PM
As a reminder the The Elf and Envoy share a telepathic link and are aware of everything the other sees/hears.

De'Athbypro Xie - Round 2

Dapr Oxie the Envoy
Fly By Attack!
Dive to Q-13/+10

Standard: Energy Ray: [roll0] (including +3 bonus for target in metallic armor)
[roll1]

One moment while I see what was rolled...
Meh. Ok,

Envoy continue flying to regain altitude at Q-13/+20.

Xie the Elf
Move: Draw Acid Flask.

Standard: Ready Action:
Take a 5ft step and throw flask if GwaS attacks, ends turn, or readies an action within LoE of Xie.

Done

Stats
Xie:
Vigor: 10/10

Oxie:
Envergy Rays: 1/2

Wizibirb
2010-07-18, 06:54 PM
refs/los -

Move to R-20 as a swift action
then proceed to y-17

ready an action -

move if I am attack

Psionic Dog
2010-07-19, 05:28 AM
Xie was in Y-19. I believe you can see him from R-20.

Wizibirb
2010-07-19, 11:40 AM
move to x-19
attempt to trip
MTA -
[roll0]

Trip -
[roll1]

If tripped make an attack
[roll2]

damage -
[roll3]

those rolls were ugly....

Psionic Dog
2010-07-19, 06:54 PM
Er, Xie isn't that strong... so...

Say! I forgot to mention that Xie is now holding an acid flask in one hand and the bow in the other. Would that have changed your action in any way?

Wizibirb
2010-07-19, 07:02 PM
no.... not really, why are you?

still doesn't change anything, going to trip and say hi with mr. scythe... sorry my good gm.... are you admitting defeat?

Psionic Dog
2010-07-19, 07:08 PM
No. Just wanted to warn you before relieving reveling that the attack triggered Xie's readied action.

Xie 5-ft steps out of reach to Y-17 and throws the acid flask at GwaS.
[roll0] [roll1]

Wizibirb
2010-07-19, 07:11 PM
now can I continue my move action and still attack? ((I still have 5 ft of movement I believe))

Or does your readied action prevent me from getting to attacking? always was confused on this.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-19, 07:20 PM
The readied action was triggered by the attack, not proximity, so unless you have a way to make an immediate action movement or reach extension I believe the attack misses.

One moment will I think on actions.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-19, 07:30 PM
I believe Elf and Envoy do indeed act on the same initiative, but suppose "if Xie ends turn" might require LoS to Xie specifically rather than any member of Team-Xie. *shrug* I can see it going either way.

I'll let this sit a little incase someone wants to reverse the ruling, but will otherwise post turn in a few hours.

@TheFallenOne
While I believe the initiative can be split, I don't think they can act on different initiative counts. I've been playing that if the initiative ever did get split that the earlier acting must delay to rejoin with the latter. In 1v1 this doesn't change much if anything, but could be a significant consideration in a 2v2 or FFA. Mostly I tried to use synchronized readied actions to minimize initiative splitting,

I guess that's the simplest way to go about it with(as far as I can tell) lacking RAW. The question of noticing Xie ending his turn with LoS on Oxie alone is more complicated; maybe yes because they share their initiative, so Oxie ending gives information about Xie ending turn, maybe not because it's Xie who ends the turn and Oxie just gets dragged along, lacking an initiative of his own. Since sanity doesn't contest the question let's just roll with it

and yes, the readied triggers when the standard attack is initiated, so in this case the attack is wasted since you have to finish the move action before starting the standard action, thus no movement left

Psionic Dog
2010-07-19, 07:34 PM
First things first envoy has to delay slightly to rejoin Xie.

Xie - Round 3

Oxie:
Flies to T-18/+20 just skimming the roof top, 30 ft away from the Scythe Guy, just close enough.

Standard: Another Energy Ray.
[roll0] [roll1]

I can't remember if precedent allows concealment when firing partially through haystacks, so just in case [roll2]

Xie:
Plays the coward and hustles north and then west out of LoS to
Q-6.
[roll3]

Done

Stats
Xie:
Vigor: 9/10

Oxie:
Envergy Rays: 0/2

TheFallenOne
2010-07-19, 07:46 PM
I'm a bit tired so I may be wrong, but that looks rather fatal

Wizibirb
2010-07-19, 07:48 PM
Ummm, hmmm that hits right? If so that drops me to -2 (I think). :smallfrown:

and no rage claws... (should of gone that instead of law devotion)

I think not activating it turn one might of cost me

TheFallenOne
2010-07-20, 05:18 PM
High Ref TheFallenOne

Team Xie employs death by electrocution in a fantasy setting and wins the match

So now I'll have to face Xie again... this time with a commoner. Uhoh

Wizibirb
2010-07-20, 05:34 PM
please hold, how do you take a 5ft step and attack in the same readied action? I thought it was one or the other? :smallconfused:

TheFallenOne
2010-07-20, 05:38 PM
no, you can take a 5 foot step as part of a readied action, provided you didn't move in your turn which as usual prevents 5 foot steps

Wizibirb
2010-07-20, 06:04 PM
o, ok but you can still go ahead and use a move action but not move, correct?

once again apologies, still trying to get all the rules down pact.

and a questions on readied actions,

if you readied an action every round to move when a person attacked or readied an action would your opponent ever get an attack off?

Psionic Dog
2010-07-20, 06:37 PM
It does limit things if you rely on a 5-ft reach melee swing, but readied 5ft steps won't work forever: counters do exist.

For example, you could ready actions of your own, you could continue chasing your foe until they ran out of map to retreat to, or you could switch to a ranged weapon (I highly recommend that every gladiator have a back-up ranged weapon). There are probably a dozen other counters, but the above should work for almost any build if time permits.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-21, 05:23 AM
if you readied an action every round to move when a person attacked or readied an action would your opponent ever get an attack off?

yes, because moving provokes AoOs and you'd have the other guy in your threat range when your attack triggers his readied

If he readied something else and 5 foot steps it's harder for the meleer. That's why Sturmherz has a spiked chain, move adjacent and your enemy can't just step out of your attack range