PDA

View Full Version : What time is it? ADVETURE TIME!

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-17, 12:30 PM
Does anyone have any module recommendations (3.5 D&D) that capture the essence of the show "Adventure Time with Jake and Finn"?

Dairun Cates
2010-07-17, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have any module recommendations (3.5 D&D) that capture the essence of the show "Adventure Time with Jake and Finn"?

Sure. Pick up a copy of BESM 3e and play out of the box.

EDIT: Alternate suggestions: Risus and Thousand Blank White Cards.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-17, 12:47 PM
Sure. Pick up a copy of BESM 3e and play out of the box.

EDIT: Alternate suggestions: Risus and Thousand Blank White Cards.

Umm, did the whole "D&D 3.5" thing completely fly over your head?

Muad'dib
2010-07-17, 02:04 PM

In his defense, it's in character for the complete randomness of the setting.

Tengu_temp
2010-07-17, 03:17 PM
Tomb of Horrors.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-17, 03:29 PM
3.5 is entirely the wrong system if you want an Adventure Time styled, pre-written game. Might not even work if you do it from scratch.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-17, 08:26 PM
Then let me rephrase my question. Are there any modules that reward "balls first" style adventuring and punish tedious over-planning?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-17, 08:32 PM
Take any standard DND adventure. . . Cast magic "DMFIAT?SOMEHOWPLOT RELEVANT THINGY" over said Dungeon. . .

For every 8 hour rest period they take. . . increase the DC's of the rest of the dungeon by 2. . . trust me . . your party will learn to move faster.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-07-17, 08:33 PM
Then let me rephrase my question. Are there any modules that reward "balls first" style adventuring and punish tedious over-planning?

None as far as I'm aware. All of the one's I've ever looked at make you die if you go in "balls first" without stopping to think ahead. Of course, it would be pretty funny to watch a group of PCs go through the Tomb of Horrors that way:smallamused:...

Thajocoth
2010-07-17, 08:35 PM

I think that's more of a DM thing. If your stuff is made to trap & trick, then over-planning is rewarded while running in gets you killed. If your stuff is made to surprise and fight, then running in is rewarded with surprise rounds and such, while over-planning causes boringness.

I once did the later for a party that expected the former. I couldn't get them to drop their unfounded paranoia... All their checks wound up doing was spoiling surprises. Not, like, trap-surprises... Like, "This mountain range we're adventuring in the caverns of is actually a primordial in a coma!" type of surprises. It was D&D 4th ed, which I know is not what you're looking for, but I'm sure the same sort of reasoning applies to older editions.

My current 4e group doesn't over-think things. We don't even check doors for traps unless there's a reason to. Being a door is not a reason to. I find it quite fun.

My DM has nicknamed the group Legends of Wrestling III after we lept off a ledge, grabbed flying enemies and rammed them into the ground to break our falls. (We had been doing other similar things up to that point.)

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-17, 08:46 PM
Take any standard DND adventure. . . Cast magic "DMFIAT?SOMEHOWPLOT RELEVANT THINGY" over said Dungeon. . .

For every 8 hour rest period they take. . . increase the DC's of the rest of the dungeon by 2. . . trust me . . your party will learn to move faster.
I tried something similar by having a dungeon with a cold temprature (fortitude saves every hour or take 1d6 points of damage) but it would be kind of cheap if I did that for every one in either a volcano or a glacier, lighting a fire under there asses. Basically I want a module that will teach them to take risks to get rewards rather than overthinking every door and floor tile.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-17, 08:51 PM
Let them chase a running target. Nothing says speed up like the goal trying to get away. Have the BBEG moving away and leaving groups of minions behind to kill / slow anyone following.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-17, 09:03 PM
Hmm... Have them chased by a monster that moves slowly?
Or have the wall slowly start to crush them in in certain situations.

Something like a Juggernaut following them through the whole dungeon?

Xyk
2010-07-17, 09:07 PM
Just have a villain yell "In twenty five minutes, I will destroy the town and there's nothing you can do! Muhahahaha!"

Starfols
2010-07-17, 09:08 PM
Make it a rule that every PC must be created chaotic neutral. :smallamused:

Tyndmyr
2010-07-17, 09:53 PM

Almost all of them. Just make sure they have some sort of time constraint, or tack one on.

Dairun Cates
2010-07-18, 01:04 AM

Missed it the first time. Could've sworn it said any modules without the parenthesis. Seeing as two of those options are free and less than 10 pages long (although, one's not even an RPG but could probably do it better do to how its done and its reward for "most random player wins"), I don't really see the problem though.

It's been said multiple times by multiple people (myself included). Seeing the effort it takes to convert D&D to something it typically isn't, it's honestly easier and often more cost efficient to just learn a system that DOES do what you want right. D&D can do some pretty wacky stuff, but it doesn't typically sponsor an "Adventure Time" feel.

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-18, 11:00 AM
Set something on an insane plane of existence. Literally, if they plan something out logically, it WILL be wrong. The only way to progress is to literally just go with the flow, immerse yourself, and/or make stuff up.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-18, 11:24 AM
Any dungeon in DND can be played the super overplaning way, or the on the fly go with it way. Really it's a difference in playstyle that is mostly up to the party not the dungeon. Edit: The module doesnt exist because the module is a framework, it's the DM's job to create the motivations that would keep a party moving.
One option is to get them to spend ONE session planing out a default plan that they will use when certain things come up and then they wont have to plan it when those things do come up cause they will already have a plan in place. This sometimes works, it sometimes doesnt.

I think you're best answer to get people to stop over planning in any particular game, is to prevent it every time they try.

Some Exaples:

Party: okay we're going to stop here and plan what we're going to do next/do some shopping

GM: manticore charges out of the woods and attacks. (later all shops are closed after scary manticore attack)

Or

Party: we need to rest we'll stop here

Gm: the only person who needs rest is the wizard, and it's only midday

Party: yeah we need the wizard to be top notch.

GM: (roll a dice to make it look offical, wince a little for dramatics) It starts hailing, everyones rest is interupted. there is lightnight too. it's gonna last the rest of the day and through the night. you'll need to make fort saves to even TRY to get rest every hour. if you make 8 in a row you can count as rested.

Or

Party: okay! lets plan out how we're gonna approach this obviously trapped plot important door.

Gm: give them 10 minutes to actually plan, that's not an outrageous amount when looking at a significant trap in a dungeon. after that, backup traps start going off. (IE: weight sensor in the floor was slowly triggered, Timer that they set of when they went through the last door ran out, Monster that's been following them without their knowledge since they entered the dungeon catches up etc.)

Eventually they will learn to just discuss things they need to go over as they go, cause every time they try to stop the whole game to plan they get interupted with crap that just gets in their way. This may mean that you will be throwing more than the usual amount of monsters/circumstances at them for a little while, but dont worry they will either learn, or you will have a blast thinking up creative ways to keep them moving. probably both.