PDA

View Full Version : Ishka Game, Edge of the City, IC

shaddy_24
2010-07-17, 06:00 PM
Edge of the City

The living quarters for the mine is within sight now. You've spent a lot of time travelling through the Narrows, especially after you went beyond any Stations. It's almost 9:00.

The living quarters are filled with workers moving between buildings. Normally at this time of day they would be within the mine shafts, but right now they're refusing. Tales of monsters in the depths are causing them to refuse to work, and the mine operator is starting to get edgy. He sent out a call for people like you, people with various problem solving skills. He wants this problem dealt with before he has to call in any offical help. He's offering 1,800 gp, split up among everyone who contributes.

As you approach the living area, you see the boss' house. It stands out from the others, being three stories tall compared to the little shanties most of the workers live in. Other obvious outsiders are moving into the area with you; probably the others who came to answer the call.

Feel free to introduce yourselves and describe your character here. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and if you have any special requests for your character's introduction, either post it or PM me and we'll play through it.

Illven
2010-07-17, 06:10 PM
Hello, friends my name is Blurm, what's yours, are you also here for the job The short halfing's hands keep nervously fingering the daggers kept in sheaths around his waist

Fable Wright
2010-07-17, 07:27 PM
Katar walks to the boss's office without preamble, saying. I'm here for the job. You employed my employer, and he sent me. Standard fees apply.

Samm
2010-07-17, 08:56 PM
A broad shouldered, large, light-skinned zombie exits the station walks over to the Boss' office. He notices a number of other people around him. "Oh Hello, you guys must be here for the job right? I'm here too. Bryant."

userpay
2010-07-17, 11:35 PM
(ooc gotta make a roll first)
bind check, dc 15 for a good pact
[roll0]
binds and soulmelds that are currently used can be found in sheet

Jarus makes strides towards the building he'd been directed to, a neutral look on his face as he considers the people already gathered, he appears to wear a cloak of the color of stone that flutters oddly in his wake. "Well I suppose I may be the late one arn't I? Jarus tis my name, a pleasure." The corner of his mouth twitches briefly as he says that last word.

shaddy_24
2010-07-18, 12:00 AM
Two men look up as Katar barges into the office. One, a younger man with brown hair combed flat and glasses, hurries forward while a thin middle aged one with black hair glares at Katar, "Ah, my appologies. I am Mr. Jesal's assistant, Cross." He gives no indication if it's a first or last name. "As I understand, a general post was put out. The original sum, 1,800 gp, is to be split among all involved. There were no special considerations, and no specific organizations were requested." His voice is firm.

He glances over your shoulder and notices the other outsiders approaching the building. "If you could please wait out here for a few minutes, Mr. Jesal will meet you in his office to discuss the situation and your objective, after you have all gathered together." The older man, presumably Jesal, turns and walks into a back office, while Cross moves back towards a front desk. Looking around, you see several chairs of fine construction set up.

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 12:12 AM
OOC: <That's what he thinks... hopefully, shaddy, you will let me at least have some roleplaying involving the Mimic Mansion, and it using me for the job. Or at least a mention about the Mansion having been requested for the job. Throw a dog a bone, here! Just trying to roleplay.>

With an ignoble Hrmph., Katar storms out to the main lobby, to wait for the rest of the party, obviously irritated.

shaddy_24
2010-07-18, 12:23 AM
OOC
Oh don't worry, you are here on request of your supervisor. It's just that you actually aren't here as an official agent of Mimic Mansion, since you don't actually have Chameleon levels yet. You're just a recruit out on a testing mission, they aren't charging the mine overseer full price. Mimic Mansion wasn't requested, they just responded to an opportunity to test a recruit without having to send you on a full mission. If they'd sent you out on a full mission, they would have had to send at least one senior agent, and their reputation would be on the line. :smallsmile: Katar might not have been fully aware of this, his supervisor likely just told him he was to answer this request, and that it would be used as a test of his abilities. Don't worry, there will be opportunities for role playing involving the Mansion. Especially if Katar gets upset upon discovering this information. :smallamused:

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 12:35 AM
OOC:
Thanks. And yes, he is kind of upset. Partially because he was told to say this on behalf of his supervisor. Who probably wanted to make him look (and feel) like an idiot. Said supervisor succeeded.:smallyuk:

Maherlaum
2010-07-18, 05:37 AM
A zombie in earthen robes smiles quietly at the show. A hood pulled over his head, he moves to the rest of the jobseekers, staying at a respectful distance. Well met.. I am Inero. A pleasure, I'm sure. You are all here for the job, yes?

Illven
2010-07-18, 01:44 PM
Okay as you wish, Blurm walks over to one of the chairs, and sturggles to get on one of them, eventually succeeding

Frog Dragon
2010-07-18, 01:47 PM
A peculiar humanoid walks in, being seemingly made of mud rocks on the left side of his body. His hair is rather long, to neck level and the same color as the mud rocks. "Morning. I'm Vhalyar. Here for the job."

Samm
2010-07-18, 08:12 PM
Bryant follows Blurm, without saying to much. He's generally a quiet person a little withdrawn. He sits on one the chairs in a laid back manner, "This should be a welcome break from my normal work..."

shaddy_24
2010-07-19, 03:04 PM
You only wait for a few minutes. Cross remains at his desk, taking no notice unless you ask him a direct question. You either talk among yourselves or sit quietly until the door Jesal entered opens again and the man steps out with a sour look on his face. "Okay, come in now," He leaves the door open and re-enters his office.

Following after him, you find a fairly large room, with several uncomfortable chairs set up in front of a ornate desk. Jesal sits behind it, his name on a small bronze plate on the front of the desk. He sits on a raised chair, and the desk is unusually high, putting him above even the tallest of you. He waits for all of you to sit down across from him before he begins to speak. "As you should be aware from the messages sent out, I'm having some problems with my workers. They claim that there is some kind of monster in the mine, and they refuse to enter to do their work. I can't force them to enter if they feel they are in danger," he sounds pained at this fact, "so either they need to be convinced there is no danger or the danger needs to be removed."

He looks over the group of you. "You know the reward you're being given. I'd suggest you get this job done as fast as possible, because there's no bonus if it takes you several days. If you have any questions, Cross will answer them. I've got a list of all the mine personnel and a map if you so require it." He hands you a stack of papers. "Unless you have anything else you want to talk to me about that you feel Cross can't handle, I'd suggest you get to work. These miners are a stubborn bunch, and it won't be easy to convince them it's safe. They're probably just looking for some time off." The last sentence is barely mumbled, but still clearly audible to each of you.

Illven
2010-07-19, 03:43 PM
I suggest we ask some of the workers what is going on, to get more info

Frog Dragon
2010-07-19, 03:45 PM
"I agree. And we will need that map. Mines tend to be complex structures."

userpay
2010-07-19, 06:23 PM
Jarus's eyes glitter at the mention of a bonus. "Well I'm certainly ready to get started, though if we could convince a miner to help lead us this might go much faster."

Samm
2010-07-20, 12:21 AM
Bryant enticed by the prospect of nice reward, lightens up a bit. "I'm interested to know what the miners are afraid of. What would it be?"

Maherlaum
2010-07-20, 01:14 PM
Inero strokes his discoloured chin, nodding to himself.If there's something to be afraid of, someone must have seen it - or at least know where it is. Are you all ready for spelunking? If anyone needs torches I'd suggest you get them now.

shaddy_24
2010-07-20, 04:27 PM
Jesal glances at Bryant. "There are no solid reports. Most of the miners simply report a feeling of dread, a giant tail disappearing around a corner, scraping noises or other such vague fears. None can actually describe any creature."

Fable Wright
2010-07-20, 05:01 PM
If bardic knowledge is appropriate given the information that we have:
[roll0]
... doesn't matter.

Illven
2010-07-20, 06:05 PM
Is there any area, where activity was higher than others

shaddy_24
2010-07-20, 06:53 PM
"Mostly when they were sent anywhere besides the main level, or when they reached the newly worked areas. Basically, anywhere they would be expected to work."

Fable Wright
2010-07-20, 06:56 PM
I think that this may be an urban fey; some try to sabotage construction projects in order to protect the environment. This is just speculation, though. Katar says without looking up.

Maherlaum
2010-07-21, 04:27 AM
[roll0] Arcana to recognize the foreman's description.
[roll1] Local to figure out parties that could be opposing the mine.

Samm
2010-07-21, 04:40 AM
Bryant looks at Katar, "It seems to have a tail, and it makes scratching noises, if it even exists. Why hasn't anyone seen it properly, unless its scared of people or something?"

shaddy_24
2010-07-21, 07:42 AM
Maherlaum:
Even with the studies you've done, the description you've got right now is too general to narrow anything down. Large, with a tail and possibly scales. Dragons, naga, some types of demons and devils, behemoths or drakes (dinosaurs)... really any large, reptillian creature.

As for those who oppose the mine; The Wild has opposed mining in the past, claiming it causes irreparable damage to nature. These workers are under a union, so it can't be a union trying to protect the workers' rights. No major groups that would oppose the mine operate out of this area, they tend to find the bigger mines, places that will get more attention.

Everyone:

Jesal's patience seems to have reached its limit. "If you have no further questions for me, I have other work to do."

Maherlaum
2010-07-21, 07:45 AM
Stepping for the door, Inero addresses Bryant; "That doesn't mean it couldn't be an urban fey in some sort of disguise. We can't start eliminating possibilites until we have something to go on."

userpay
2010-07-21, 10:33 AM
"Well the best we can do right now is see if any workers may be willing to lead us down, if not then we might as well get started considering theres not really any information to research with." Jarus says while standing, his cloak staying in place oddly well though a glimsp of gold mayhave been seen when he stood.

Fable Wright
2010-07-21, 10:52 AM
Katar walks out of the room and heads for the miner's location, saying, All we have is speculation. Let's move. Then we can get some real facts.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-21, 12:48 PM
"Let's go then." Vhalyar follows the others.

Illven
2010-07-21, 04:21 PM
Blurm sliently follows the team

shaddy_24
2010-07-21, 10:17 PM
As you all leave Jesal's office, Cross seems to take no notice of you. Heading out, you move down into the worker's village. Most of the houses are small, barely two or three rooms. Theirs about 100 miners in all, living 4-5 to a house. A communal worship area is visible, along with an eating area. Very few workers are moving between the buildings, most seem to be in one of the communal areas or grouped up in the houses. Patrols of guards move through the village in groups of 3.

Illven
2010-07-21, 11:51 PM
I think we should talk to one of the guards first, I don't think a civilan will be comfortable with six armed strangers talking to them

Samm
2010-07-22, 05:09 AM
Bryant stretches, getting ready to jump into action, "Fair enough, that should get things rolling. I think next we probably should head to those areas of worship, once they finish up. Lots of people should be there."

Frog Dragon
2010-07-23, 06:32 AM
"I agree." Vhalyar says "If we are with the guards they will likely be more receptive to our questions."

shaddy_24
2010-07-24, 07:00 PM
As you enter the worker's village, you soon come across a trio of guards walking their patrols. They stop when you hail them, and wait for you to say something.

Fable Wright
2010-07-24, 07:27 PM
Hello. We were hired to confirm the existence, and/or eliminate the existence, of the beast that is said to live in the mines. Do you know anything about this?

Maherlaum
2010-07-25, 07:58 AM
Inero listens closely to the exchange, looking at the workers with a thoughtful expression.

shaddy_24
2010-07-25, 08:35 AM
One of the guards starts laughing as Katar asks his question. "Jhim, looks like you get to talk about your monster again." One of the other guards pushes him out of the way, stepping forward and pulling his helmet off. He's a skeleton of some kind, you couldn't tell before from the full plate armour he was wearing.

"I was on a security patrol in the mine, on the lowest level, when all of the workers started pushing past me to get out, saying there was something in there with them. I decided to check out what they saw, and caught sight of something small running around a corner. Looked humanoid. I called out, thinking it was one of the workers, but when I turned the corner, I heard something roar, and suddenly passed out. I came to near the mine entrance."

The first guard says, "Some terrifying monster, isn't it? Can't even kill Jhim here, and he passes out right at its feet! The workers aren't in any danger if that's the case."

userpay
2010-07-25, 09:59 AM
Jarus frowns, shifting on his feet a bit. "Did someone else pull you out? Seems odd that a 'monster' would be 'terrorizing' the mine and yet nice enough to drag someone to the entrance. Mayhaps this is the work of fey rather than some beast..."

Maherlaum
2010-07-25, 10:36 AM
Inero taps his chin. "It could also be something that doesn't want to be found."

Fable Wright
2010-07-25, 11:16 AM
If you aren't terrified of the monster, why don't you mine then? Except for the excuse to go on indefinite paid vacation, that is.

shaddy_24
2010-07-25, 12:04 PM
Jhim continues. "Nobody said they pulled me out. All the miners had fled to the surface before this happened."

The first guard interupts again. "Whatever it was, it's nothing to fear. Security isn't allowed to go clear it out though."

The third guard speaks for the first time, her voice revealing her as a woman. "We've been ordered to keep watch over the workers, rather then look for it. The head of security won't talk about it, but we're pretty sure that he believes the monster is real and dangerous."

All three look at Katar, though since two are wearing helmets and one is a skeleton, it's hard to read their expressions. Jhim's the first one to talk again. "We're security. We don't mine, we watch over the workers. If they don't believe us and won't work, we're not going to step in and do it for them."

Fable Wright
2010-07-25, 12:06 PM
-.- I meant the miners. Sorry. Not too good with words. he says, looking embarrassed.

Maherlaum
2010-07-25, 01:42 PM
"I think it would be useful to chat with some of the workers that were there. Can you tell us any names or point us to people who saw it as well?"

Illven
2010-07-25, 02:55 PM
Maybe the monster carried you outside, maybe it had a mental attack, did you pass out from fear? Blurm asks the guard

shaddy_24
2010-07-25, 04:54 PM
"Oh! Sorry, didn't realize what you meant." Jhim turns away from Katar again and turns to the others. "A fair number of the miners have claimed to see something. I'm the only guard who's seen anything, but a few others claim to have heard whatever it is. Most of the workers are in the communal areas around this time, you should be able to find what you need there."

At the suggestion that he fainted in fear, Jhim straightens up somewhat, though skeletal face really doens't display any emotion. "I didn't see anything when I went around the corner. Just heard a loud roar, then woke up outside. Whatever it was knocked me unconscious before I could catch sight of it. Whatever brought me back to the entrance, it didn't draw any attention. No one else noticed me being brought up."

Illven
2010-07-25, 07:25 PM
Then it almost certainly uses magic, or has a mind based attack,

Fable Wright
2010-07-25, 07:28 PM
Hm... I may have heard about this kind of beast in a story... give me a second to think. It seems familiar...

Bardic knowledge:
[roll0]+4

Samm
2010-07-26, 02:13 AM
Bryant looks to the floor, strokes his chin and thinks aloud, "A humanoid monster that roars, with a tail... It also made Jhim pass out, strange isn't it... Let's move on to the communal areas shall we?"

Frog Dragon
2010-07-26, 03:34 AM
"How do we know it even is a monster?" Vhalyar asks the others. "A suitable inclined illusionists, or other mage, could do this and more."

shaddy_24
2010-07-26, 11:34 AM
Katar
While the information is very vague, you know of spells that are designed to knock people unconscious quickly. Urban fey are known for using such spells, and tend to create illusions, so you may be on the right track with that thought. There isn't enough information to say for sure though.

Assuming you have no further questions for the guards, Jhim puts his helmet back on and gives you directions to the communal eating and praying areas. They continue on their way, leaving you to go wherever you choose.

Maherlaum
2010-07-26, 11:40 AM
"Hm.. I guess we can go ask the workers then. I have to say, this seems quite curious.."

userpay
2010-07-26, 01:10 PM
"Curious indeed, though likely the miners won't have anymore information for us than the guards. I'm hoping one would be willing to lead us through the mines though."

Maherlaum
2010-07-26, 02:05 PM
Looking around carefully, Inero murmurs "If it's needed, I can try to read the thoughts of a miner that has seen the monster. It could provide signs to what we're dealing with - or expose a lie."

Illven
2010-07-26, 05:15 PM
Acutally could you do that, while we converse with them, it will be on their mind, and probably easier to read

Samm
2010-07-27, 03:48 AM
"Yeah, do that, it'll help a lot." Bryant moves over to the communal areas and motions for the others to follow. "Okay, I'm not brilliant with words, I'd rather someone else did the talking..."

Maherlaum
2010-07-27, 05:21 AM
Inero nods. "Once we find someone who claims to know something."

shaddy_24
2010-07-27, 08:01 AM
Moving on, you quickly arrive at the communal eating area, the closer of the two. There's a large courtyard just off a building, filled with tables and cooking fires. The building is large, and looks like it could hold over 100 people. About 50-60 people are in the area, talking and eating in groups. The nearest ones turn to look at you as you enter the area.

shaddy_24
2010-07-29, 08:28 PM
Moving into the communal area, you begin to ask the various workers for information about the monster in the mine, looking for facts, descriptions and possibly a guide. Mostly you just find vague rumours and non-specific descriptors, nothing that you haven't heard from Jesal or the guards you spoke to. Some people give you more information though...

Make the following rolls, and check any spoilers that you pass. If you like, you can edit your post to represent discovering this information.

Gather Information DC 15:
This finds you a worker who's specifically seen the creature, rather then a "friend" seeing it. Red eyes shining out of the darkness, and a large scaly face behind it. It looked for only a second, before turning away. A serpentine body, looked to be about 12 feet long, and four legs, before it disappeared into the dark of the lower tunnel. This was on the lowest level, and they point it out on the map to you.

Gather Information DC 20:
This gets a different worker, describing something different. A human sized humanoid, with grey skin. It ran past a tunnel entrance. This was actually on a upper level, above the mine entrance. It disappeared before they noticed anything unusual, and they didn't look any further. Make a sense motive check.

Gather Information DC 20 AND Int or Wis Check DC 17
You notice from what the workers are saying that something doesn't seem right. Checking against the employee list, there appears to be three missing workers. They were new hires, and hadn't integrated themselves into any other groups, so nobody had really noticed yet.

Time this takes: [roll0] hours.

Fable Wright
2010-07-29, 08:30 PM
[roll0]+11 (gather information)
[roll1]+3 Int check
[roll2]+3 Wis check
...WTF?

Despite his best efforts asking around the town, no one seems willing to talk to Katar.

userpay
2010-07-29, 11:36 PM
gather
[roll0]
int
[roll1]
Jarus looks thoughtful as they party regroups. "Interesting to say the least, lowest level as the guard said but a miner I found said the thing to be serpent like. Regardless we seem to have the general area nailed down. Unless someone else has other news?"

Illven
2010-07-29, 11:59 PM
Gather info [roll0]
Int [roll1]

Illven
2010-07-30, 12:01 AM
Sense motive [roll0]
Wis check [roll1]

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 04:17 AM
Int Check [roll0]
Gather Info [roll1]
(Thank you very much, dice. I could've taken 10 to get to DC 20, but didn't for some reason. *Facepalms.*)

Samm
2010-07-30, 04:28 AM
Bryant, being withdrawn and not a sociable person, doesn't really find much information at all, to him, it's 3 hours wasted. When they regroup he says, "Didn't find anything... You've got to have done better..."

He then responds to Jarus, "Okay it looks like the lower levels are the ones we're interested in..."

Maherlaum
2010-07-30, 04:37 AM
[roll0] Gather Information
[roll1] Int check

Before speaking with the worker, Inero casts Detect Thoughts and tries to provoke revealing surface thoughts (if the story is true, any ideas on the creature the worker might have missed, etcerera).

shaddy_24
2010-07-30, 08:16 AM
Blurm
Sense Motive 17 vs. Bluff 10: While talking with the dwarvan woman who saw the humanoid, she seems hesitant. She may know more then she's letting on.

As the group gathers together again, some interesting information is revealed. Jarus returns with a description of the creature more detailed then any before, as well as a location that backs up the guard's story. Blurm comes back with some more interesting information though.

First is the creature seen on the upper level, but he also feels something off with some of the other stories he heard from the miners. Recounting the stories, Katar's the one to catch the discrepancy: one of the miners in the story isn't accounted for after. Double checking, Katar finds three workers on the employee list who were part of squads but stories with the squad members don't mention them. There might be some more to look into there.

Illven
2010-07-30, 10:53 AM
I'm going to go talk to the dwarven women again, she seemed to know more, does anyone want help.

Fable Wright
2010-07-30, 11:08 AM
I'll go with you.

Maherlaum
2010-07-30, 11:19 AM
"Yeah, I'm coming along as well.. The rest can see if they uproot anything more, yeah?"

Illven
2010-07-30, 12:18 PM
Miss, do you know anything else at all, the slightest hint could save our lives when we go into the mines

Diplomacy [roll0]

shaddy_24
2010-07-30, 01:34 PM
Blurm, Katar and Inero return to where Blurm met the woman. Finding her still there eating, Blurm steps forward again to try and expand her story. She seems to puff up as he speaks though. "I've given you all the information I have. Whatever's going on in that mine, I have no intension of ever entering again. I'm simply waiting for the Overseer to close it down and give us our final pay." She seems pretty stubborn about it.

Sense Motive DC 14:
She's actually very nervous. Whatever it was she saw, she's afraid.

Fable Wright
2010-07-30, 02:06 PM
[roll0]+7 (sense motive)

You're lying. You're afraid. Afraid of what? What, or who, the creature is? What it will do if you tell us? If we know what it is, then you will come to no harm.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 02:06 PM
Vhalyar asks around some more. Questions with the more detailed info about the monster. He asks around about the new miners and where he could find them.
Gather Info: [roll0]
In addition, he suspects that the new workers may be in on the plot and that that would be why they don't show up in the descriptions. He tries to recall any organization with the means to use such agents and possible motive to do this.
Know (Local): [roll1]
In addition, if he finds one of the new workers, he's going to try and judge if anything is going on.
Sense Motive: Taking ten for a total of 15.

Illven
2010-07-30, 02:08 PM
Sense motive [roll0]

Illven
2010-07-30, 02:09 PM
Look miss I'm small and tiny, if I don't have enough info, the thing in the mine will eat me alive, do you really want that to happen Diplomacy again [roll0]

shaddy_24
2010-07-30, 03:00 PM
Blurm, Katar and Inero
The woman gives Katar an exhasperated look at his questions. When Blurm speaks, however, she puffs herself up and responds. "Oh, it'll eat you alright. But don't think you'll be safe if you know any more. We're digging too deep; the first Spawn has shown itself, and the city itself will be doomed if the digging continues. Your lives will be forfit if you enter those mines looking for it." You get the feeling she isn't saying any of this for your benefit. "I have nothing more to say." She turns to leave.

Vhalyar
Entering the crowd again, you find some useful information using the names Katar pointed out. All three of them are new workers, and hadn't really integrated themselves into any groups before they went missing.
Tantiau: male dwarf zombie. He was hired 7 days before the strike. Last he was seen was 2 days before the strike started.
Mias: female elf. Hired 7 days before the strike as well. She hasn't been seen since the strike started 4 days ago.
Vaed: male human. He was hired 9 days before the strike, and went missing around the same time as Mias.

This doesn't sound like the M.O. of any group Vhalyar can think of. The name Vaed does seem to ring a bell though...

Knowledge (local) DC 21
Vaed has a small reputation as a mercenary, usually as a body guard. He's generally based out of Hedon though, so why would he be way out here?

Maherlaum
2010-07-30, 03:26 PM
[roll0] - Sense Motive
[roll1] - Knowledge: Arcana for spawn

Are those broken?

"Spawn? What do you mean?"

Maherlaum
2010-07-30, 03:29 PM
[roll0]+4, [roll1]+12

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 03:31 PM
(Do I roll another check?)

Frog Dragon
2010-07-30, 03:32 PM
If I need to roll another, here goes
Know: Local [roll0]
Edit: !#"¤@£$%()%&!!!! :smallfurious:

Fable Wright
2010-07-30, 03:57 PM
Ma'am. Tell us the information. We're more powerful than we look. At least tell us what the spawn are. We might be able to close the mining operation, if they are too dangerous. We're going into those mines, and I need to know what we're up against. Please. Just tell us. What do you have to lose?

Bluff: [roll0]+13

shaddy_24
2010-07-30, 05:52 PM
Blurm, Katar and Inero
The dwarf turns back for one brief moment. Looking the three of you over, she snorts. "If you're all we've got, forgive me for not taking comfort. I speak of the Spawn of Holistic, that murderous beast. Ishka is doomed if they've found us." She continues on, refusing to look back.

Knowledge (religion) DC 20 (there is a Know (the planes) check hidden behind this one. If you make the religion check, you have a chance to get the planes one too.)
Spawn of Hollistic refers to an old dwarvan legend. A dwarf by the name of Hollistic was supposedly the greatest champion of a fortress deep in the wilderness. She was a master of unarmed combat, and defended the fortress for many years. However, one day she was killed deep under the fortress, and reanimated as a terrifying undead. She destroyed the fortress herself, killing all within and burning it to the ground. Only the actions of another champion, Nemo, prevented her from moving on and destroying the world, though he sacrificed his life to do so.
While the legend itself is likely not true, there is a form of undead known as the Spawn of Holistic, suposedly bearing the same wounds she recieved in her fight with Nemo. Both hands are gone, replaced with giant claws, and a virtical mouth streaches from nose to belly button. They are very rare, and usually only created through special rituals performed either by a powerful necromancer, or another Spawn.

Knowledge (the planes) DC 20
The ritual binds the soul of a demon into the body, creating a creature with the destructive mind of a demon and a powerful undead body.

Vhalyar
Unfortunitally, you cannot place the name after all. You find little else in your questioning. It appears you may have gathered all the available information in the eating area.

It's getting into mid afternoon when you gather together again to exchange what information you've uncovered. None of you found any workers interested in guiding you through the mines, but you haven't checked in the shrine yet.

Fable Wright
2010-07-30, 05:59 PM
Bardic knowledge time:
[roll0]+4

Illven
2010-07-30, 06:06 PM
Knowledge religion[roll0]
Knowledge the planes [roll1]

Samm
2010-07-31, 06:17 AM
Bryant trails the other guys. He gets there a little late, he's missed the recent action, but he listens in.

shaddy_24
2010-07-31, 02:44 PM
Bryant
You arrive just at the tail end of a conversation. A dwarf woman turns to look at the three of them. She snorts, "If you're all we've got, forgive me for not taking comfort. I speak of the Spawn of Holistic, that murderous beast. Ishka is doomed if they've found us." She continues on, refusing to look back. The other three look lost in thought for a moment as you move up next to them.

Blurm, Katar, Inero and Bryant
Bryant catches up to the other three just as the dwarf woman leaves.

Fable Wright
2010-07-31, 02:56 PM
We should see what these 'Spawn of Holistic' are. I'll ask some clergy members of Moradin if they know what it is. If anyone else has a better plan, now is the time to speak up.

Maherlaum
2010-07-31, 03:15 PM
"I might wander the area for a bit, look for the elderly people that know the legends about these spawn - if that's what they are." With that, Inero stalks off to chat with locals.

[roll0]+8 Gather Information

Illven
2010-07-31, 04:21 PM
I'll look for any local libaray's

Samm
2010-07-31, 09:33 PM
"I'll be with Blurm, if there's a local library, it could be very useful."

Bryant tries to remember if there's a library nearby.

Local Knowledge: [roll0]

Illven
2010-07-31, 10:10 PM
know local [roll0]

shaddy_24
2010-07-31, 11:01 PM
Inero
There doesn't seem to be anyone else familiar with the Spawn of Holistic. Checking through the employee list to confirm if there are any more dwarves, just in case it's a dwarvan thing, you only find one other, Tantiau, a dwarf zombie, one of the workers Katar found may be missing.

Blurm and Bryant
Unfortunitally, you're far away from any scholarly center. The people out this far into the Narrows tend to be immigrants below the poverty line and mine workers, two groups not well known for their interest in libraries. The nearest library is likely several hours travel away, back into the city proper.

userpay
2010-08-01, 11:46 AM
"Spawn of Holistic... have I heard something about that before..."
Time for alot of knowledge checks since I don't really know what applies, yay Rilkan's history racial stuff. Thing is all I remember about it is that I can make all knowledge checks as if trained or something but theres more bonus's that I can't recall and I don't have my books with me at the moment so if I could ask you look it up in Magic of Incarnum and apply the correct bonus's. I know it has to do with soulmelds so I've got 3 bound, one to a chakra.
history
[roll0]
arcana
[roll1]
religion
[roll2]
nature
[roll3]
planes
[roll4]

shaddy_24
2010-08-01, 11:53 AM
OOC

"Spawn of Holistic... have I heard something about that before..."
Time for alot of knowledge checks since I don't really know what applies, yay Rilkan's history racial stuff. Thing is all I remember about it is that I can make all knowledge checks as if trained or something but theres more bonus's that I can't recall and I don't have my books with me at the moment so if I could ask you look it up in Magic of Incarnum and apply the correct bonus's. I know it has to do with soulmelds so I've got 3 bound, one to a chakra.
history
[roll0]
arcana
[roll1]
religion
[roll2]
nature
[roll3]
planes
[roll4]

The Racial Knowlege lets you make all knowledge skills as if trained. But it also gives you a +1 competence bonus on all Knowledge checks and bardic knowlege, with an additional +1 for every two soul melds shaped. So, with that bonus, you pass the Knowledge (religion) check to learn about the Spawn of Holistic. Congratulations.

Samm
2010-08-02, 02:29 AM
"Okay, as the library's a few hours away, we probably should speak to the others first before going there ourselves..."

Illven
2010-08-02, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure we have the time to go if it's that far away, who knows what will happen

userpay
2010-08-02, 10:55 PM
ooc
Cool, has the spawn info been posted? I can't seem to find the required religion check spoiler with the info.

Samm
2010-08-03, 01:19 AM
Bryant figures that he should consult the others before trying anything, "Okay, maybe we should speak to the others, then they'll know where we are, if we decide to go looking for the library, or anything else."

shaddy_24
2010-08-03, 10:51 AM
All of you gather together again, filling each other in. Vhalyar confirms that all three workers Katar picked out have indeed been missing, and that all three were hired just a short time before the strike started. Meanwhile, Blurm, Katar and Bryant report that the woman who saw the other creature called it a "Spawn of Holistic," though none of the three recognise the name and she refused to say more. Jarus does though. Blurm and Bryant announce that there's no libraries in the immediate area to double check, and Inero says that none of the other locals seem to recognise the name either.

Knowlege (religion) DC 20.
Spawn of Hollistic refers to an old dwarvan legend. A dwarf by the name of Hollistic was supposedly the greatest champion of a fortress deep in the wilderness. She was a master of unarmed combat, and defended the fortress for many years. However, one day she was killed deep under the fortress, and reanimated as a terrifying undead. She destroyed the fortress herself, killing all within and burning it to the ground. Only the actions of another champion, Nemo, prevented her from moving on and destroying the world, though he sacrificed his life to do so.
While the legend itself is likely not true, there is a form of undead known as the Spawn of Holistic, suposedly bearing the same wounds she recieved in her fight with Nemo. Her hands were removed, and Nemo slashed her from mouth to stomach, before she managed to kill him. The Spawn have their hands replaced with large, clumsy claws, and a virtical mouth streaches from nose to belly button. They are very rare, and usually only created through special rituals performed either by a powerful necromancer, or another Spawn.

Frog Dragon
2010-08-03, 11:48 AM
"So. Chances are that we are dealing with an undead creature here. I would like to make one small preparation, but shall we go then?" Vhalyar says. He intends to obtain a holy symbol of the leading god with these miners. Some divine help never hurt anyone.

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 12:00 PM
Rolls:
I forgot to roll gather information about whether the clergy knew about the spawn, and if they would tell me...
[roll0]+11
And bardic knowledge, if I can.
[roll1]

Maherlaum
2010-08-03, 02:40 PM
"Yeah, I guess going to the mines might be the last shot we have right now.. Does anyone know how deep they actually stretch?"

Illven
2010-08-03, 03:33 PM
No, But we could ask the person who leads the mines

shaddy_24
2010-08-03, 10:17 PM
The group of you check the map you were given as you approach the worship area. The mine itself is about an hour walk out of the worker's village, and the walls of the side canyon narrow in even more, while the ground lifts up. The canyon floor is level with the mine entrance, and the walls come together to the final end of the city. There are three levels to the mine, one above the entrance and one below. The lower level is the most expansive, while the main level is the smallest. The tunnels are in a grid pattern, with the side of each square about 40 feet, and the tunnels 20 feet wide. The lowest level extends almost 400 feet into the canyon wall, the entrance level about 100 and the upper level 250. No more digging is occuring on the main level, the veins spread above and below it.

The sightings of a draconic creature occured in both the worked levels, always deeper in the mine, in the newer digging. The situation Jhim saw occured in the lowest level, again deep in the mine. The Spawn sighting reported was on the upper level, near the current work as well.

The worship area is a series of small shrines surrounding an open courtyard. There is a single building at one side of the courtyard. There are a small number of workers at the various shrines. Vhalyar walks into the main building looking for someone to get a holy symbol from. A young man sitting in the pews turns to great you. "Welcome. My name is Kahat, and I am the head priest for the workers. How can I help you?"

OOC: DMofDarkness: sorry, you already rolled bardic knowledge to ID the Spawn. You don't get the knowledge from Knowledge (the planes).

Illven
2010-08-03, 10:27 PM
I suggest we go to the recent work

Samm
2010-08-04, 02:09 AM
"Are you sure? It sounds rather dangerous with the "Spawn" and everything..."

userpay
2010-08-05, 04:16 PM
Jarus nods and grins. "Ah yes, the spawn are a type of undead. Of note they have claws and the most distinguishing feature is a virtical mouth."

Samm
2010-08-06, 01:54 AM
"A vertical mouth... What strange things we're dealing with here... I'd be more interested in finding more about this Spawn."

shaddy_24
2010-08-08, 10:28 AM
Vhalyar returns after purchasing his new Holy Symbol, dedicated to all the saints.

The group of you set off towards the mine. It's mid afternoon when you leave, so you arrive with plenty of time before the night cycle. Standing before the entrance of the mine, you can now decide what your plan is.

Maherlaum
2010-08-08, 10:41 AM
"I think.. Well, perhaps we should check the lower levels first. Based on that miner's story, we wouldn't have to expect outright hostility if we encounter something there."

Illven
2010-08-08, 08:08 PM
Blurm draws both his daggers Just in case, he whispers

userpay
2010-08-08, 09:43 PM
Jarus grins. "Lets see whats about down there then." He says almost gleefully. One whose paid close watch might relize that other than his feet, they havent seen Jarus's cloak part once though it seems to rustle with his eagerness to be off.

Samm
2010-08-09, 06:00 AM
Despite being fairly brave, Bryant is a little cautious, "I don't want to jump head first into danger, so lets stick together and make sure we don't get lost."

Fable Wright
2010-08-09, 05:30 PM
Let's just get this over with. Katar says, heading off to the mine.

Frog Dragon
2010-08-10, 08:20 AM
"Agreed" Vhalyar follows, hanging his holy symbol on his neck.

shaddy_24
2010-08-10, 04:15 PM
Using your map, you cautiously enter the mine. The path to the lower level is right nearby the entrance, so you work your way down there. However, upon reaching the bottom of the stairs, there appears to be a solid wall of stone blocking your path.

Illven
2010-08-10, 05:48 PM
Huh this seems to be a problem, you sure you're reading the map correctly

Fable Wright
2010-08-10, 06:01 PM
If there is a fey here, perhaps in conjunction with the spawn, this is likely an illusion. There is an easy way to settle this. he says, slashing at the wall with his greatsword.

Illven
2010-08-10, 06:40 PM
Even if it's an illusion there are ways to get illusions to be over-real

Refering to Shadowgnomes

shaddy_24
2010-08-10, 07:46 PM
As Katar predicted, his sword passes harmlessly through the wall in front of you.

Fable Wright
2010-08-10, 07:51 PM
Time to go across. However, it would be best to check for any pit traps or anything first, too... he says, waving his greatsword around the inside of the wall, particularly around the bottom of it, feeling for any unexpected pits or indentations.

Illven
2010-08-10, 08:05 PM
After you Blurm gestures forward grinning

Samm
2010-08-11, 05:22 AM
"Huh... either the spawn have spell-casting allies, or this the work of those who wish to protect us from it..."

shaddy_24
2010-08-11, 08:38 AM
Katar's sword scrapes along the ground inside the wall. While the ground is rough, there doesn't appear to be any pits or traps set up here.

Maherlaum
2010-08-11, 09:20 AM
Inero leers at the wall, drawing his sword from its scabbard. "Don't trust anything in here", he grumbles, moving to have a look beyond the illusion.

[roll0] Hide
[roll1] Move Silently

shaddy_24
2010-08-11, 02:07 PM
Inero peeks through the illusionary wall, only to find out it's pitch black on the other side (unless he has some way of seeing in the dark or he brings a light with him).

Maherlaum
2010-08-11, 02:16 PM
Grasping a short metal rod off his belt, Inero yanks a leather pouch covering one end off, revealing a seemingly perpetual fire on the metal torch. He holds the torch out, looking down the tunnel.

Illven
2010-08-11, 02:49 PM
Blurm also looks down the tunnel

userpay
2010-08-11, 09:23 PM
Jarus walks through the wall to see whats on the other side, apparently he isn't scared of much.
(low light vision + 60ft darkvision)

Samm
2010-08-12, 03:24 AM
Bryant walks through the barrier and takes a look down the tunnel, "Good thing I can see in the dark..."

Dark vision to 60ft.

Frog Dragon
2010-08-12, 08:31 AM
Vhalyar follows, also looking around, having been confirmed that it isn't hiding a pit trap. (Darkvision 60ft)

shaddy_24
2010-08-12, 06:21 PM
As the group of you walk through the wall, the passageway behind becomes visible (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtSIgrPE9zeTdDBscWJpaE1QLWZMNFkxRnVBS2pDU 1E&hl=en#gid=1). You're in a large entryway, with a wall of shelves in front of you. There are tunnels to either direction. (Give your location in the room.)

Spot DC 15
There's a spot on the right of the entrance (around U6) that looks like people were there. A noticable trail in the dust moves out from there, moving away from the entrance.

Illven
2010-08-12, 06:42 PM
spot [roll0]

Blurm moves to the middle of the room slowly, I can't look at the spreadsheet

userpay
2010-08-12, 07:09 PM
Jarus follows Blurm, peering down the tunnels.
(I also can't access the spreadsheet and I have an account for google docs)
spot
[roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-12, 11:04 PM
Katar moves to the square on the far left of the illusionary corridor, right next to the stairs.

userpay
2010-08-12, 11:35 PM
(ooc ah good now I can see it)
"Somethings been by recently." Jarus murmers as he moves to look at what may be on the shelves.

Illven
2010-08-13, 12:03 AM
okay my eariler move was to X 9

Blurm walks to the shelves Really how can you tell?

Maherlaum
2010-08-13, 02:50 AM
[roll0] Spot (here goes)

Inero listens with one ear, moving to S9, holding his torch aloft and keeping watch down the tunnel. He sheathes his sword, drawing a smooth ebony stick off his belt instead.

Samm
2010-08-13, 03:42 AM
Bryant moves to U8, looking and listening for any signs of anything out of the ordinary.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

shaddy_24
2010-08-14, 03:19 PM
OOC: Not feeling very well today, so short update.

The shelves are mostly empty, but what you do find consists of cloths and extra mining equipment, presumably left behind by the workers.

Before you can do much searching though, the illusionary wall flickers out of sight behind you.

Illven
2010-08-14, 03:25 PM
Hey spellcaster, any idea what spell that wall was

Frog Dragon
2010-08-15, 02:51 AM
Vhalyar looks around in the shelves. "Peculiar arrangement here." He comments. "Maybe something of use can be found here."
If I can take ten then I do that. Otherwise..
Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1] (For anything of note in the shelves)
Moving to W10

Samm
2010-08-15, 06:20 AM
Bryant looks around on the shelves for anything out of the ordinary. "Mining gear, huh... seems pretty normal so far."

Search: [roll0]

Maherlaum
2010-08-15, 06:47 AM
"Well, I'd imagine it was a fairly simple illusion --" Inero furrows his brow. "There's always the possibility that spell is like most simple illusions, that it remains only as long as the creator focuses on it. So I'd say, watch your back."

userpay
2010-08-15, 10:42 AM
Jarus moves to the side, looking around the corner and farther down the tunnel on the right side.

moving to Q9, ill roll spot and listen if nessessary.
spot
[roll0]
listen
[roll1]

shaddy_24
2010-08-16, 11:30 PM
A closer inspection of the shelves reveals many places with lighter dust coverings. They appear to be in small square spots, spread out among all the shelves.

Looking around the corner where the trail goes sees it leading farther into the darkness. Try as he might, Jarus cannot hear anything.

OOC: Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtSIgrPE9zeTdDBscWJpaE1QLWZMNFkxRnVBS2pDU 1E&hl=en#gid=1)updated.

Maherlaum
2010-08-17, 01:57 AM
Inero stalks over to AF9, noting "Unless you found something amazing on the shelves, I think we need to go deeper." He peers around the corner, looking down both hallways.

[roll0] Spot

userpay
2010-08-17, 10:14 AM
"Well the trail goes this way so tis probably the way we should go." Jarus takes a few steps in then pauses, waiting for the others to come.

Illven
2010-08-17, 01:01 PM
Blurm follows stealthy

Should I make hide and move silently checks

shaddy_24
2010-08-18, 12:33 PM
OOC: You can make stealth checks if you want to, but remember that Inero's got an eternal torch. It's bright light within 20 ft. of him, and shadowy within 40. Outside of that, it's pitch black.

Inero peers around the corner and sees the hallways there continue off beyond the light of his torch.

Illven
2010-08-18, 02:09 PM
So I am staying 20 feet away from Inero, if possible

Hide [roll0]
Move sliently [roll1]

Maherlaum
2010-08-18, 04:54 PM
Inero looks at the others for a moment, then shrugs and heads deeper down the hallway - making sure to memorize the way they're going.

userpay
2010-08-18, 05:30 PM
(ooc which way are we going? Might I remind you that the trail leads in the direction I'm going?)

Maherlaum
2010-08-18, 05:36 PM
(ooc which way are we going? Might I remind you that the trail leads in the direction I'm going?)

You mentioned waiting for the others to follow, so we're going in your direction.

userpay
2010-08-18, 06:48 PM
(ooc I wasn't sure because Inero is at a different tunnel last I checked and so I wasn't sure who was going where)

Samm
2010-08-19, 03:04 AM
Bryant moves over to Jarus, "hmm..." He takes a look at the trail.

shaddy_24
2010-08-21, 08:36 PM
You continue down the path, following it to another crossroads. Blurm stays ahead of the main group, staying within the shadows of Inero's torch. The path continues to your right, but before most of you enter the cross, you hear a quiet voice echoe from the walls around you. "Who dares enter my domain?"

OOC: Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtSIgrPE9zeTdDBscWJpaE1QLWZMNFkxRnVBS2pDU 1E&hl=en#gid=1) updated.

Samm
2010-08-21, 11:48 PM
"What do you mean?", says Bryant in a stern voice. "This is a mine, not your house, and what exactly are you?"

Bryant steps around the corner and looks for the source of the noise.

Spot: [roll0]

userpay
2010-08-21, 11:55 PM
"Hmm most interesting... mayhaps a being that is linked to the earth itself..." Jarus takes a step forward and looks down each corridor, ear cocked to hear anymore.
listen
[roll0]
spot
[roll1]

Illven
2010-08-22, 12:33 AM
Blurm stays silent hoping the enemy will underestimate their numbers

Hide [roll0]
Move sliently [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Spot [roll3]

Frog Dragon
2010-08-22, 02:06 AM
Vhalyar also hides, hoping that the enemy doesn't spot him.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Maherlaum
2010-08-22, 02:54 AM
Inero mumbles a spell to himself, striding out into the crossroads. As it completes, he looks around him in every direction, frowning at the tunnels.

See Invisibility
[roll0] Spot

shaddy_24
2010-08-24, 06:31 AM
As you move about and keep an eye down the different paths, none of you see or hear anything, until the voice speaks again. "Who sent you, mortals? Who sent you to intrude upon my home further?"

userpay
2010-08-24, 10:10 AM
"And who might we be addressing? If you were here before the miners were then mayhaps something can be worked out but if you came after they did... Well, t'would be nice if we could have a face to face talk with you to help settle things out."

Illven
2010-08-24, 06:27 PM
Blurm will try and figure out where the voice is coming from

Hide [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Spot [roll3]

shaddy_24
2010-08-25, 07:25 PM
Inero, Jarus and Bryant all move into the main crossroad, to get the largest view possible. Blurm moves ahead, continuing to follow the trail, and does his best to stick within the shadows ahead of Inero's torch to keep hidden. Vhalyar and Katar stand back, also trying to keep out of sight and turn the odds if something happens.

"Little one, are you looking for death? Stand your ground, or better yet, run back to your friends. I'm sure they would miss you if you were to disappear into the dark." The voice seems to come from right in front of him, but Blurm can make out nothing.

The voice echoes around you all again, "I tire of your stalling, mortals. Answer my questions. If you do so in a satisfactory manner, I may let you return to the surface. Fail to do so however, and you'll not see the exit again." The voice is slightly clearer now, though it continues to echo enough to prevent you from pinning it down. As it clears though, you are all able to recognize it as distinctly female.

Listen DC 15
The reason the voice is hard to pin down is that it changes where it originates from every few seconds. That, combined with the echo, makes it impossible to tell where it originates.

Sense Motive DC 18
You detect a hint of desperation and nervousness in the voice as it continues to speak. Whoever it is, they really want to know why you are here.

DC 23 use the same roll, just open it if you got high enough
Whoever it is, they seem hesitant to actually injure you, but you feel that they would if given reason to.

OOC: Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtSIgrPE9zeTdDBscWJpaE1QLWZMNFkxRnVBS2pDU 1E&hl=en#gid=1)updated.

Illven
2010-08-25, 07:47 PM
[roll0]

The creature is in front of me, but it also seems to be everywhere

userpay
2010-08-25, 11:31 PM
"Those that pay the miners to dig, I did mention them didn't I? Again I ask that we speak to you to settle this. Speaking face to face tends to help at least."
listen
[roll0]
sense motive
[roll1]

Fable Wright
2010-08-25, 11:36 PM
Listen. We don't want to fight. We just want to know why mine workers have been disappearing, and to work it out. We just want to figure what's going on here, so that we can help both you and the miners.
Rolls are in the OOC.

Frog Dragon
2010-08-26, 05:28 AM
Vhalyar stepped away from the shadows, making himself visible. "We're here on the miners' behalf." Vhalyar was trying to appease... whatever it was. "As the others said, we're trying to find out what happened to the reported missing miners." Vhalyar was usually dealing with perfectly mere mortals, being one himself, though with a bit of saintsblood so to speak. That didn't mean he was lost here. This might well be an act of some sort.
Sense Motive: [roll0]

shaddy_24
2010-08-26, 01:58 PM
The voice remains silent for a few seconds after you finish speaking. "Very well. I think we can speak face-to-face after all." The voice suddenly drops and begins coming from only one direction, from the darkness down the trail you were following. "Vaed, come on out."

A slim, humanoid figure suddenly enters within the shadowy light produced by Inero's torch, while heavier bootsteps are audible from farther down the corridor. As it moves closer to the group, the first figure quickly becomes distinguishable. Shorter then most of the group, she appears to be a regular elf, her face streaked with dust, but with some otherworldly grace to her face and step. She stops just short of Blurm, and looks over the whole group. "Tell me. What do you know of the missing miners?" Whoever is making those bootsteps has yet to enter the torchlight.

Just as a reminder:
Tantiau: male dwarf zombie. He was hired 7 days before the strike. Last he was seen was 2 days before the strike started.
Mias: female elf. Hired 7 days before the strike as well. She hasn't been seen since the strike started 4 days ago.
Vaed: male human. He was hired 9 days before the strike, and went missing around the same time as Mias.

Illven
2010-08-26, 02:47 PM
Wasn't Vaed male, and more improtanly Human, there was a female elf, but I can't remeber her name.

Fable Wright
2010-08-26, 09:56 PM
Cutting off his companion, Katar said, There were 3 miners. THere was a dwarf zombie named Tantiau, a female elf named Mias, and a human male known as Vaed. We know that there is a forgotten undead race here, who might or might not be killing them. But seeing you here, it seems like this may not be the case. One miner fell unconscious in the mine, and was taken out of it by someone. This would not likely be the case. In addition, there was an illusionary wall around this place. Taking those into account, it's likely that you are a fey of some kind, am I right? You seem to know what is actually going on here more than we do. Can you tell us what you know about it?

shaddy_24
2010-08-26, 11:48 PM
The woman smiles at Katar's speech. "Well done. You've already figured out a fair amount." She glances over her shoulder as another figure enters the shadowy area. Taller then his companion, he holds a black bastard sword in one hand and carries a shield in the other. His sheild is held much lower then usual, and is pressed tightly against his side. Looking closer, you realize that his armour and cloths have been torn on that side, and a red stained bandage is wrapped around there. "This is Vaed, and during the short time I was acting as a miner I went by the name Mias. I am what your people call a 'low-folk' or one of the city fey. You've already heard of the Spawn apparently. What do you know of them and the Children of Hollistic?"

Info on Spawn you already know:
While the legend itself is likely not true, there is a form of undead known as the Spawn of Holistic, suposedly bearing the same wounds she recieved in her fight with Nemo. Her hands were removed, and Nemo slashed her from mouth to stomach, before she managed to kill him. The Spawn have their hands replaced with large, clumsy claws, and a virtical mouth streaches from nose to belly button. They are very rare, and usually only created through special rituals performed either by a powerful necromancer, or another Spawn.

And Knowledge (local) DC 25 for Children of Hollistic:
The children of Hollistic are a tiny organization within Ishka. They are a group of dwarves claiming ancestry to a dwarf named Hollistic, the greatest champion of a fortress who's location has long been forgotten. Some claim relation to a long lost child, others to her siblings or relatives. They're very secretive, and don't factor into the political powers within the city.

DC 30
There are two groups within the Children of Hollistic. They argue among themselves how they should honour their ancestor's memory: one group claiming they should act as defenders of justice to remember her as a champion of good, while the other claims they should attempt to honour her as she is after her death and subsequent raising as an undead.

Illven
2010-08-27, 12:07 AM
Knowledge local

[roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-27, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately, we don't. I don't know if any of us did learn anything about the locale recently. If it was a large organization, it would be relatively well-known, or at least have some rumors about it. This means that it is either a small organization that is focused in just one neighborhood, but has a large influence there. Given the name, I'd say it's either a cult of people who worship and create these undead, as it takes a special ritual to, or dwarves honoring their ancestor. I don't know which. But, most likely, you know alot more about it than we do, and how they tie in with the spawn.

Note: I did not take the information out of the spoiler. Given their name, and the information on what the Spawn of Holistic that we have, I could deduce the information. I can delete this information if you want me to, but that's what I figure Katar would reason. Also, I do not believe that any of us possesses 5 ranks or more of knowledge(local), and as such, we could not feasibly learn this information.

shaddy_24
2010-08-27, 12:34 AM
OOC: I can accept that logical conclusion. No need to delete anything as long as you came to that conclusion before checking any spoilers. Also, I did check for your knowledge (local) modifiers before posting it. Vhalyar has +8, giving him a chance, but Inero has a +14, giving him a 50% chance of making that check. I'll wait until tomorrow to give them a little more time to post and see if they make the DC.

Samm
2010-08-27, 01:01 AM
"Never heard of the Children of the Hollistic. By the sound of it, they're probably either worshipers or the products of the Spawn. Dunno, though. Probably very discreet - would've have heard if they were well known."

Frog Dragon
2010-08-27, 03:53 AM
OOC: Knowledge: Local [roll0] Spending an inspiration point on cunning knowledge giving me a +5 bonus.
Edit: Well, that didn't get me the DC 30 result, but the inspiration point got me the DC 25 one, so it was useful.
"The children of Holistic are a cult of dwarves, claiming to draw their bloodline back to the legendary dwarf. They are few in number and centered somewhere in Ishka." Vhalyar seems to have remembered something about the elusive organization. "I don't recall anything else of them however."

Maherlaum
2010-08-27, 12:38 PM
Inero drums his fingers over his chin, then shakes his pale head. "I thought I had an idea, but nevermind."

userpay
2010-08-27, 01:24 PM
Jarus gives a shrug. "I don't know anything about that."

shaddy_24
2010-08-27, 02:27 PM
The fey nods at your words. "Very good. You," she points to Vhalyar, "have the purpose of the group. And you," she points to Katar in turn, "actually are spot on for their goals. Part of the group seeks to honour their ancestor, while another part seeks to create the Spawn in her name and return her to power. That is where Vaed and I came in."

She glances around, then turns back to you. "It would probably be better if we returned to the entrance. The Spawn continues to scour this floor, and I would not want to be ambushed by it. It is quite stealthy, and is more cunning then we expected." She begins to walk past you back towards the entrance. The human behind, who has yet to introduce himself, follows silently, keeping an eye on as many of you as he can.

"Now, where was I? Oh yes, the Children. Now, Tantiau, Vaed and I have all been involved in the Children's little argument over how best to honour Hollistic's memory. I stand against the creation of the Spawn as a threat to the city, while Vaed is a simple mercenary they've hired. Tantiau, though, was part of the other side of the organization. We were sent down here when news was brought to us that Tantiau was coming out here. We blended in with the workers, and kept an eye on him to see why he was sent this far out of the city proper. What we didn't expect was someone to transform him into one of the Spawn." By this time, you've reached the entrance again. She spins around and settles with her back against the wall beside the entrance. "Vaed and I barely managed to draw the creature away and keep it from killing any of the workers. Then, the next day, I created the illusion of a dragon, and scared the workers out. Luckily for them, they haven't returned. That may have been because of some quick words I had with the head of security." She smiles.

"We resolved to capture or kill the Spawn, but that didn't go well for us. It seems to be immune to enchantments, so many of my skills are useless, and it's too powerful for Vaed to fight alone. It's also much more dangerous then we expected. It managed to ambush us, and now Vaed is too wounded to even hope to stand against it. We've been hiding down here, and trying to cover the entrance so it can't escape to find the workers outside. Now," She looks over all of you, "what do you all have to say?"

Fable Wright
2010-08-27, 02:35 PM
We've been hired to get the mine running again. We need to track down and kill this thing if we want our paycheck. And to himself, he mutters, and to get into the mimic mansion. However, this seems to be too powerful to fight alone. What is it's objective? We could lure it into a trap, where we ambush it. It's undead, so either it will regenerate quickly, so we need to hit it in one blitz-strike, or it can't regenerate without a cleric, and he hit it using hit and run tactics. Either could work. Anything you know about the spawn would be useful at this point.

Illven
2010-08-27, 02:45 PM
Do you want our help in fighting the spawn.

Listen check to hear the whispers

[roll0]

Maherlaum
2010-08-27, 03:34 PM
"I have a couple of tricks left up my sleeve as well.. But it seems to me we would be best off with everybody cutting at it and overwhelming it. If it's as strong as you say, trying to hit and run is going to weaken us more than it."

userpay
2010-08-27, 03:59 PM
Jarus's eyes seem to glitter for a moment when the pay is mentioned. "Regardless now you've backup in the form of us." He grins widely as a few wisps of flame flicker around him briefly before disappearing. "And I dare say we've all a few tricks of our own up our sleeves. Shall we take the fight to it?"

(ooc I just noticed, do we not have healing in our group?)

Maherlaum
2010-08-27, 04:12 PM
I have a wand of inflict light wounds. That's all I know of.

Samm
2010-08-27, 06:43 PM
"Personally, when I get into fights, I like to stay up close and hammer them into the ground or grab 'em. I'll bet those things can see in the dark, so, keep the lights on, for those of you who can't see in the dark. Also, they're bound to be tough, so hitting and running is going to take plenty of time. They're ambushers so, we'd better keep our wits about us."

shaddy_24
2010-08-27, 08:31 PM
The fey smiles as you begin discussing battle strategy. "Good. This creature cannot be allowed to escape. We," she gestures to Vaed and herself, "will deal with who created it after."

"Now, the creature can regenerate, but it is very slow. Vaed and I tried wearing it down with hit-and-run tactics, but it recovered between fights. Vaed could deal a lot of damage to it, but it would hide and recover before we could find it again. It's regeneration is slow, enough that it is barely noticable during a fight, but it was always recovered when we encountered it again. It was smarter then we thought and managed to ambush us one time when we were tracking it. Vaed was wounded there, and we barely managed to lose it in the tunnels. Since then, we've been hiding around the entrance, ready to lead it away if it shows up. We were waiting for reinforcements, and praying they weren't sent in by Tantiau's allies."

Fable Wright
2010-08-27, 08:36 PM
Which goes back to the objectives of the spawn. What's it's goal? If we know that, we can set a trap, rather than tracking it, and being trapped.

Frog Dragon
2010-08-28, 07:08 AM
I have Opportunistic Piety. 6 daily uses. 14 Hp per use.
"Could we be able to trap it where it cannot escape?" Vhalyar asks. "Perhaps collapse an old mineshaft on it?"

Illven
2010-08-28, 03:01 PM
Is the creature of afraid of fire. If it is I can use that

shaddy_24
2010-08-28, 06:39 PM
"A goal? This creature is barely intelligent. Whatever mind Tantiau had is long gone. It barely has any motivation beyond killing everything living it encounters. As for trapping it by collapsing something, that would be difficult. This mine is built very sturdily, despite what you would think. And fire? I don't know. It might just be drawn by the light."

The fey looks around. "Be wary. You made a lot of noise coming down, and we haven't been very stealthy in our talks. Sound may be muffled over long distances by the dust, but it won't be long before the creature figures out where we are. If we wish to surprise it, we should be ready. Any ideas from you?"

Fable Wright
2010-08-28, 06:59 PM
How well can the creatures pierce illusions? If we could make a pit, and fill it with rubble and sharp wooden spikes, with an illusionary overlay on top of it, then we could draw the monster into it, where it would be trapped, and then set the stakes on fire. The creature's regenerative powers would be negated by the fire, and it would be slowed in the area. There, we could barrage it with ranged attacks until it managed to clear the wreckage, and then take it down with melee attacks.

Samm
2010-08-28, 07:19 PM
We could make the pit trap and just shoot at it from the other side, while it hesitates to go in. Also, we could have a ladder in the pit, lure it in with one of us, and then climb up and take the ladder up after he's finished climbing. Then the Spawn'd be stuck, and we could do what ever we want. But we don't have a ladder do we...

Bryant pauses in thought, "Actually this is a mine, there should be a ladder somewhere here, right?"

Illven
2010-08-28, 07:40 PM
Blurm tries to look for tools, and listen for the creatures approach

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

userpay
2010-08-28, 07:55 PM
"Have you been able to determine this creatures method of sense? Does it seem to rely on its sight or does it seem to know where you are despite it not looking at you?"

Samm
2010-08-28, 10:52 PM
Bryant looks at Vhalyar, "Vhalyar, I can see in the Dark, I'm undead as well. I'll bet it can see in the dark."

shaddy_24
2010-09-03, 09:22 PM
OOC: Got some free time, so gonna put up another post.

Vaed shakes his head at the pit plan and speaks up for the first time, "We aren't going to have time to dig a pit here, unless you have something to speed it up."

Illven
2010-09-03, 09:54 PM
Well have you managed to come up with any ideas

shaddy_24
2010-09-05, 06:37 PM
"We are dealing with a fast, stealthy creature that regenerates. We are surrounded by stone on all sides, and the tunnels are laid out in a grid formation. The only option we have is to ambush it and prevent its escape before we destroy it. When it was only the two of us, we couldn't damage it fast enough to kill it before it ran if we ambushed it. Now that there's more of us, as long as we move carefully, it won't be able to escape."

Illven
2010-09-05, 07:13 PM
Where do you wish to make our stand

Fable Wright
2010-09-05, 07:29 PM
It would be best to handle this at a crossroads. There, we can all easily flank it, we have multiple directions to escape in, and we can harry the creature with repeated ambush attacks while there.

Samm
2010-09-05, 09:48 PM
But... It has multiple escape options, all it needs to do is rout one of us and it's free. I'd say a hallway, cramp it, flank it and don't let it out... If it breaks out, we know there's only one way it could go... further down the hallway, with a crossroads... we won't have any idea where it'll end up.

Fable Wright
2010-09-05, 09:50 PM
But at a crossroads, we'll still be able to see the direction it flees in.

userpay
2010-09-05, 10:44 PM
"If we ambushed it in a hallway we would see which way it went regardless."

Frog Dragon
2010-09-08, 09:10 AM
"We should corner the creature, so it cannot escape to heal its wounds. "

Samm
2010-09-09, 01:35 AM
"Actually, now that I think of it, a corner wouldn't be too good for us, we wouldn't be able to flank it easily... Also, we may as well decide this quick.", says Bryant feeling a little rushed.

Maherlaum
2010-09-09, 11:17 AM
"Seems like a crossroads might be our best bet. So how do we attract it? Especially being many more now."

Fable Wright
2010-09-09, 11:34 AM
By making noise ad drawing attention to ourselves. Katar says, with a grim smile on his face. The beast wants to kill everyone and everything. If we give it a location, it will come.

Samm
2010-09-09, 09:26 PM
"Fair enough, but who wants to do that? I could, but it won't be fun, and you guys better cover me. And then, what if there's more than one? The plan is slightly ruined..."

Maherlaum
2010-09-13, 08:47 AM
"We're just going to have to hope there aren't. Are we all ready?"

Samm
2010-09-13, 06:25 PM
Bryant nods. "I am. Definitely"

userpay
2010-09-13, 06:52 PM
Jarus sighs in relief as the bickering finally ceases. "As am I. Let us do this."

Illven
2010-09-13, 07:06 PM
For victory

shaddy_24
2010-09-14, 04:54 PM
The fey smiles as you come up with a plan. "Excellent. I will aid where I am able, however I am very spent for the day. We drew the creature away from the stairs once already, and it required several powerful illusions. However, I can provide a few minutes of invisibility for 3 of you. That should hopefully be enough for you to draw the creature, without being directly targetted. It will be better if we move into the deeper tunnels, where there are fewer crossroads, meaning the creature has to run farther before it can leave line of sight."

Vaed moves forward as well. "If any of you have any healing capabilities, I would appreciate enough to join the fight. If not, I will cover from a distance, and attempt to stop the creature if it flees towards me."

Illven
2010-09-14, 05:28 PM
Blurm waits for the party to move

Samm
2010-09-15, 02:14 AM
Bryant sighs, "I don't think any of us can heal. So we'll have to be careful. Lets head down then."