PDA

View Full Version : My first campaign ever

Fisticuffs
2010-07-17, 07:35 PM
The first campaign that I ever played in had me starting at level 35(I didn't know how ridiculous that was). As I didn't really know how to play other people made my character for me. My instructions were vaguely, something like, "I want a goblin infiltrator that fights with two knives". Looking back my character was very poorly made. I was curious to see what stuff you guys could come up with if a new player were to come up to you with this request.

Prodan
2010-07-17, 07:42 PM
First, I would ask what level the character is supposed to be at, what books would be allowed, what the starting wealth would be, and ask for any relevant houserules.

Math_Mage
starting at level 35

RUN AWAY!!!! :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

But really, at those levels your instructions don't really define anything about the character. You could probably make any class break the game fighting with two knives at that level. And at level 35, the 'infiltrator' description is superfluous; if you want to infiltrate, have it as a side effect of your teleporting or permanent invisibility or what have you. The description is appropriate for a level 5 character, not a level 35 character. So a competent player looking to help you build an interesting character would have to take you aside and explain the scope of a level 35 game, and then ask you again what kind of character you wanted.

ToySoldierCPlus
The first campaign that I ever played in had me starting at level 35(I didn't know how ridiculous that was). As I didn't really know how to play other people made my character for me. My instructions were vaguely, something like, "I want a goblin infiltrator that fights with two knives". Looking back my character was very poorly made. I was curious to see what stuff you guys could come up with if a new player were to come up to you with this request.

Level 35 Goblin "Infiltrator-thing" that fights with two knives? Off the top of my head... Good lord, I have no booping clue what to do at that level. What do you fight at that level anyway, gods? In order to be competitive, you need magic of some kind, so maybe Blue (XPH, it's a goblin subrace) Psion (Egoist) 20+, with some levels of Psychic Rogue thrown in to taste. Gods, I ahve no idea what to do at that level.

Fisticuffs
2010-07-17, 07:55 PM
What do you fight at that level anyway, gods?

Yep:smalltongue: