PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a +1 LA template [3.5]

Curmudgeon
2010-07-18, 12:39 AM
I'm building a non-psionic thri-kreen character for a high-level game, and I've got enough XP to buy off a +1 level adjustment acquired template. I just can't find one that will work for the character.

The build's mostly Ranger going into Dervish, with a Rogue dip for sneak attack.

Mineral Warrior is LA +1, but it removes the ability to fly. The only way to actually get enough movement to use up all the Dervish Dance scimitar attacks with all 4 arms was to get wings that work at 2x land speed and fly just above the ground. Those come from the Unseelie Fey template (at LA +0, just impossible to resist).
Lolth-Touched, since it provides immunity to fear, would disallow Craven, which (since it isn't damage from dice) contributes substantially to damage multipliable on a critical hit. With a 15-20 threat range from Improved Critical (scimitar), Dervish Dance and flight providing the ability to make a circuit of multiple flanking positions repeatedly, and mondo attacks: that's going to be a lot. :smallsmile:
Feral almost would have worked (applying it before Unseelie Fey, as it will work on monstrous humanoids but not fey), but it also changes the favored class to Barbarian, which wouldn't allow multiple base classes (Ranger, Rogue) because of the huge multiclassing penalties to XP.

I'm hoping somewhere in some Dragon issue there's a useful +1 LA template that will do something for this character. Any help here, playgrounders?

P.S.: Just to avoid going down some blind alleys regarding the Rogue dip:

Magic isn't going to be able to supply sneak attack. The character's designed to function in combat without (almost) any magic. Just a bunch of Antimagic Torcs so enemies will be forced to work entirely without magic, too. :smallwink:
There's just no way the build can free up 2 feats for Martial Study and Martial Stance. Without magic (like keen weapon enhancements) I need feats to compensate (like Improved Critical).

FMArthur
2010-07-18, 12:52 AM
Would you be interested in large bonuses to hiding and the ability to Hide in Plain Sight? The Dark Template in Tome of Magic might work for you. It also increases the movement speed of all your modes of movement by 10... which I think would actually improve your fly speed by 30ft total because of your flight's dependency on landspeed.

2xMachina
2010-07-18, 12:55 AM
Feral is inherited anyway.

dextercorvia
2010-07-18, 01:00 AM
The only thing I was able to come up with was the Fire Souled Template from Dragon 314. (I was looking at it on Crystalkeep, so forgive me if the LA is off. They are bad about mixing up CR and LA.) Cha+4, and Morale Bonus to 'allies' on saves vs. fear and charm, attacks, and skills. Looks like it is an aura ability, like the Marshal's, but I'm not sure from the reading whether you apply as an ally. (There is also a haste ability, but I'm guessing it is a SLA, and thus useless to this charachter.)

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-18, 01:05 AM
Lolth-touched MM4 could work.

PId6
2010-07-18, 01:06 AM
Perhaps a single level in a Savage Progression might work? Half-Dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a) gives +2 Str, +2 Int, +2 NA, and some other bonuses. Half-Fiend (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) gives +2 Dex, +1 NA, some SLAs, and outsider type.

FirebirdFlying
2010-07-18, 01:15 AM
:smallconfused: I thought Unseelie Fey was errata'ed to be LA +1…

mabriss lethe
2010-07-18, 01:18 AM
I second the Dark template

ex cathedra
2010-07-18, 01:18 AM
Dark from ToM grants +10' movement speed, Hide in Plain sight, and several other minor bonuses. It may not be great, but it's better than nothing, and Dervish Dance never minds extra speed.

Edit:

So, yeah. Right. Thirded.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-18, 02:09 AM
Would you be interested in large bonuses to hiding and the ability to Hide in Plain Sight? The Dark Template in Tome of Magic might work for you.
I think we have a winner! I don't know why I overlooked this one, even if the Hide in Plain Sight is the weakest of all such abilities. The speed boost is worthwhile. Thanks, FMArthur.

The only thing I was able to come up with was the Fire Souled Template from Dragon 314.
That's LA +3, so no good.

Lolth-touched MM4 could work.
No, it couldn't.

:smallconfused: I thought Unseelie Fey was errata'ed to be LA +1…
Nope. They changed the CR, not LA.
Unseelie Fey: Replace “beast” with “plant” for the summer caress ability.
Add line, “Challenge Rating: As base creature +1”

Skeppio
2010-07-18, 02:42 AM
Feral almost would have worked (applying it before Unseelie Fey, as it will work on monstrous humanoids but not fey), but it also changes the favored class to Barbarian, which wouldn't allow multiple base classes (Ranger, Rogue) because of the huge multiclassing penalties to XP.

I didn't know any DMs actually used multiclass XP penalties and favoured class rules.

Kylarra
2010-07-18, 02:45 AM
I didn't know any DMs actually used multiclass XP penalties and favoured class rules.Some clearly do, I don't see why you should naturally assume that something you don't like has been houseruled away in every game.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-18, 04:00 AM
I didn't know any DMs actually used multiclass XP penalties and favoured class rules.
All the ones I know do. Perhaps it's because they also played/DM'd in RPGA games, where this (like other rules) was strictly enforced.

Morph Bark
2010-07-18, 05:35 AM
White Dragonspawn? I think it's either MMIV or MMV. It's the only LA+1 Dragonspawn. Necropolitan combined with a few Evolved Undead (Libris Mortis) could do too. Best thing is Necropolitan doesn't have LA, you just lose a level but gain bonuses as undead, so maybe you could do that in combo with Evolved Undead.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-18, 06:47 AM
Necropolitan combined with a few Evolved Undead (Libris Mortis) could do too. Best thing is Necropolitan doesn't have LA, you just lose a level but gain bonuses as undead
The thing is, I get to buy off an additional +1 level adjustment, so a template would be "free". But a lost level is just a loss.

ex cathedra
2010-07-18, 06:56 AM
There are multiple templates called Dragonspawn, but the only one that ever generally worth mentioning is the White Dragonspawn from the Dragonlance campaign setting, which is atrociously good.

+2 Con, +2 Dex, Natural Flight, and another ability that would make this an overpowered LA+1 template if it was the only ability offered, and then several other minor abilities.

It's a bit over the top, honestly.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-18, 07:14 AM
There are multiple templates called Dragonspawn, but the only one that ever generally worth mentioning is the White Dragonspawn from the Dragonlance campaign setting, which is atrociously good.

+2 Con, +2 Dex, Natural Flight, and another ability that would make this an overpowered LA+1 template if it was the only ability offered, and then several other minor abilities.

It's a bit over the top, honestly.

Also ~+8 Nat Armour and a free level of Sorcerer Casting. Not much use to the OP considering the whole no magic thing, but everyone can benefit from a Magic Missile in a crisis.

Wolf Warhead
2010-07-18, 09:02 AM
Also ~+8 Nat Armour and a free level of Sorcerer Casting. Not much use to the OP considering the whole no magic thing, but everyone can benefit from a Magic Missile in a crisis.

There are quite a few tactically useful level 1 spells. First ones that come to mind for me are Benign Transposition and Blockade. Access to those two three or four times a day (Plus fun with caltrops) is an asset by itself to me.

Kylarra
2010-07-18, 09:24 AM
The part people always fail to remember about dragonspawn is the whole being a thrall of the dragon that created you aspect, not to mention being very campaign-specific.

2xMachina
2010-07-18, 10:54 AM
A lil hard on the backstory, but if you're playing an evil campaign, working for a White Dragon ain't that bad.