PDA

View Full Version : A little help with canned adventures...

Jack-of-Blades
2010-07-18, 05:57 AM
Ok, so it's been a couple months since my weekly D&D group has actually played anything besides video games and Magic The Gathering. This is mostly due to vacations and one of our players being laid out for more than a month for back surgery.

Long story short, everyone's getting together regularly again and nobody's done a dang thing on their homebrew campaigns, so I've agreed to run a prefab something-or-other.

I'd like to start everyone at level 1 and run them through a series of linked modules, but I really don't know which set to start with. The only actual prefab set I've read through is the Witchfire Trilogy for the Iron Kingdoms setting, which is grand.

But I think they'd be more interested in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.

So here is where I'm asking ya'll to pitch in yer ideas. I'd like the modules to be connected, but I haven't a clue as to which ones connect to which, so reviews/comments/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Dhavaer
2010-07-18, 06:04 AM
The Sunless Citadel has a fairly good reputation, I think, and leads onto The Forge of Fury.

CapnVan
2010-07-18, 06:05 AM
I believe all of the Adventure Paths published in the last few years of the paper-based Dungeon Mag were all set in Greyhawk, all started at level 1, and were, obviously, closely connected plotwise.

Savage Tide, Age of Worms; there may have been another as well...

Yora
2010-07-18, 07:14 AM
No, a great number were set in Forgotten Realms or Eberron, and there were also lots of Adventures that were completely generic. But the adventures rarely made strong use of the background setting and switching some names would be all you'd have to do to use them in another setting.

jamroar
2010-07-18, 08:58 AM
Savage Tide, Age of Worms; there may have been another as well...

Shackled City.

Yora
2010-07-18, 09:01 AM
Shackled City is considered very tough when played as written.
Though Age of Worms and Savage Tide have a great plot, I don't like that they go from 1st to 20th level so quickly.

potatocubed
2010-07-18, 09:57 AM
The Sunless Citadel is a fine pregen 3.0 adventure, convertable to 3.5 with pretty much no work whatsoever. The module chain it leads into is of variable quality, however.

Any of the Pathfinder adventure paths might be an option, too, although each of those is flawed in its own unique way.

LansXero
2010-07-18, 10:20 AM
I`d recommend Death / Terror in Freeport, although it doesnt give much in terms of loot or xp, its pretty fun :D

CapnVan
2010-07-18, 05:05 PM
No, a great number were set in Forgotten Realms or Eberron, and there were also lots of Adventures that were completely generic. But the adventures rarely made strong use of the background setting and switching some names would be all you'd have to do to use them in another setting.

I believe that you'll find that the Adventure Paths are set in Greyhawk. The other, one-shot adventures that one would expect to find in Dungeon were, of course, set in a variety of different settings, including FR, Eberron, and the purely generic. You should also find, IIRC, either in Dungeon or in corresponding Dragons, conversion material in case you'd like to change the AP to another setting like FR.

Jack-of-Blades
2010-07-19, 02:10 AM
Thanks a bunch, everyone, I've got me some research to do now.

I've been looking at the "Return to ..." series for Greyhawk, and has anyone run these in 3.5?

potatocubed
2010-07-19, 05:07 AM
I really like Return to Expedition to the Demonweb Pits - it's got its flaws, like all other pre-written modules, but I think it captures some of the Planescape feel that is otherwise missing from 3.x.

EDIT: Got the name wrong. Probably not the module you were thinking of?

The 3.0 module Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is a pretty solid dungeon crawl (several dungeon crawls) as well, although I haven't run it under 3.5.