PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Something Simple: Insightful Strike as a feat

RufusCorvus
2010-07-18, 11:44 AM
I was just thinking, since Insightful Strike's really the only thing people take levels in Swashbuckler for, why not just make it a feat?

So, I decided to do a quick write up, just based entirely on what the Swashbuckler would already be guaranteed to have.

INSIGHTFUL STRIKE
Prerequisites: Int 13, Weapon Finesse, base attack bonus +3
Benefit: You apply your Intelligence bonus as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus you may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to insightful strike. Insightful strike cannot be used when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Special: A fighter may select Insightful Strike as a fighter bonus feat.

Comments, criticisms, death threats? (I'm quite aware this almost completely voids the Swashbuckler as a class.)

Harperfan7
2010-07-18, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I don't really see the problem with it. Sounds good.

demidracolich
2010-07-18, 08:01 PM
Yeah, is fine, its knid of not fair anyways for character who don't use strength to have to seperate feats to add another ability score to attack and damage rolls .

jiriku
2010-07-19, 02:15 PM
Quite solid. And swashbuckler voided itself as a class long ago, so don't feel guilty.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-26, 09:43 PM
Awesome... its a fighter feat... time once again to cast Heroics.

zenanarchist
2010-07-26, 10:38 PM
I was just thinking, since Insightful Strike's really the only thing people take levels in Swashbuckler for, why not just make it a feat?

So, I decided to do a quick write up, just based entirely on what the Swashbuckler would already be guaranteed to have.

INSIGHTFUL STRIKE
Prerequisites: Int 13, Weapon Finesse, base attack bonus +3
Benefit: You apply your Intelligence bonus as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus you may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse, such as a rapier, whip, or spiked chain. Targets immune to sneak attacks or critical hits are immune to insightful strike. Insightful strike cannot be used when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
Special: A fighter may select Insightful Strike as a fighter bonus feat.

Comments, criticisms, death threats? (I'm quite aware this almost completely voids the Swashbuckler as a class.)

Sounds like my Zen Combat class feature used with my Blade Weaver/Void Dragon Knight.