PDA

View Full Version : Age of Worms- 3.5e, DMoD

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 01:18 PM
The Free City is a miraculous paradise, a metropolis of great wealth, a land of wizards and thieves. Countless adventurers come here from all over the continent, seeking wealth and glory in a way that doesn't involve hostile dragons and vicious creatures. The shining metropolis has just about anything anyone would want- if you could afford to live there, that is.

You, unfortunately, don't live there. You live in a small, downbeat, bankrupt, corrupt mining town some 3 days east of the city called Diamond Lake. There are 2 types of people there: Those who have no where else to turn, and those who exploit them. After a hard day's work, hunting animals, mining, or doing odd jobs, you finally come to rest in the town's best inn: The Feral Dog. In there, you see a trio of richly dressed adventurers bragging about their hard-earned victories on their way to Diamond Lake, and their intents to raid the Stirgenest Cairn shortly, to anyone who would listen. No one did. The Stirgenest Cairn was empty, and children often explored it for fun. You all were sitting at a table, when a drunkard staggers over to your table and says, Huh... shoshe guysh from 'da Furee chity prolly taolkin 'bout 'da Wisprin' Ca'rn. I hears dat dere ushed to beesh shome treshures dere. Me Gran'pappy gots a... shingy fromsh shere... before he collapses in a drooling stupor. The Whispering Cairn... you remember that some of the kids used to dare each other to go in there to test their bravery. Maybe that's what they wanted to raid, like the blabbering drunk said...
Maybe there are riches there that would get you out of this Gods-forsaken town...
Now, you just need some people to go along with you to get this treasure. All you need to do is convince them (the people at your table (the other PCs) to go along...
(and... commence plot!)

unre9istered
2010-07-18, 02:13 PM
David

David looks around the bar after the drunk collapses. He's been nursing a single whiskey the whole night, hoping something like this would happen. He walks over to the trio of would be explorers and says, "I've been hearing that you intend to go after the treasures rumored to be in the Stirgenest Cairn. I'm David Daeclan and I've recently come to this town to seek out my own fortune. If you needed or wanted any assistance, I'm well versed in the finding and disarming of traps as well as the nature and weaknesses of the sort of creatures that would be found in such a place. If you take me along, and decide I'm a worthwhile companion, I'd want a fair share. If I don't contribute equally then whatever you felt I was worth and the experience I'd gain would be sufficient reward."

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 02:50 PM
One of them sneers at you, and says, Why would we want a snivelling peasant from this backwater town? We're respected adventurers, we have no need for useless doge like yourself. I could disarm traps that would cut you in half with both hands tied behind my backs. Shoo. he says, kicking you in the face.

unre9istered
2010-07-18, 03:00 PM
David

"Alright! Alright! You could have just said, 'No thanks'," David says climbing to his feet and walking back to his table, "Good Luck on you expedition!" He calls from a safe distance.

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 03:08 PM
He just sneers back, then goes preaching about his superiority to the people in the tavern.

Cardea
2010-07-18, 06:44 PM
Claire

"Come on David, don't bother the upstarts. They're just showing off their Daddy-bought items. They're just worked up because they actually had to travel away from their fancy keeps." Claire whispers to David, giving him a hand to get back to the Table. She looks at the Drunkard, and asks the Table: "Do you guys know anything about that Stirgenest Cairn? I haven't read up on it at all."

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 07:04 PM
You know about the Stirgenest Cairn; children often explored it. There is nothing of value in there, and it has been deserted of mining activities. See the original post.

Cardea
2010-07-18, 07:06 PM
You know about the Stirgenest Cairn; children often explored it. There is nothing of value in there, and it has been deserted of mining activities. See the original post.

[[OOC: But would Claire know of it, having only been in Diamond Falls for a couple of months to a year?]]

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 07:07 PM
Yes. Yes she would.

Cardea
2010-07-18, 07:40 PM
Yes. Yes she would.

Claire

"Come on David, don't bother the upstarts. They're just showing off their Daddy-bought items. They're just worked up because they actually had to travel away from their fancy keeps." Claire whispers to David, giving him a hand to get back to the Table. She looks at the Drunkard, and asks the Table: "Do you think they know how useless that place is?"

[[OOC: Any idea when the others will show up? Also hope you don't mind the quick addition edit.]]

unre9istered
2010-07-18, 07:45 PM
David

"I assumed it must be a different place. Wouldn't you research a place like that before make the trip from the Free City to Diamond Lake?" David says, "Who knows, maybe there's something there to be found that kids wouldn't find, deeper in or something."

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 07:54 PM
The kids explored the entire place- yourself included.

DM note: You are supposed to heed the words of a drunk man. No joke.

pcamp88
2010-07-18, 10:33 PM
Riddion

"Hmm... He ponders while scratching his stubble. "I think David could very well be right. Maybe there IS something deeper into the cairn, could even be worth checking out." Riddion says calmly, taking another swig of his ale.

Fable Wright
2010-07-18, 10:49 PM
DM's somewhat annoyed notes, which have been restated and clarified somewhat (Hopefully): <There are 2 Cairns. The Stirgenest Cairn and the Whispering Cairn. They are different. I would really appreciate it if you would attempt to go to the Whispering Cairn, where the plot continues, rather than the Stirgenest Cairn, in which I openly state that nothing lies within.>

A local man, somewhat good looking, walks over to the table. He says, I've been thinking... maybe they meant the Whispering Cairn. I've always felt an aura around that place. I think it would be cool to check it out. Would you care to join me? Only the Gods know what may lie within that Cairn.

Fortuna
2010-07-19, 01:48 AM
"Well, let's avoid burdening them with the knowledge any longer. I am not an impatient man, but those three get on my nerves more than most "

Cardea
2010-07-19, 02:12 AM
"Well, it might be worth it. I've been running low on funds lately, and I'm still waiting on the next caravan to have something worthwhile to learn." Claire said, tsk-tsking the amount of alcohol the rest of them had already drunk.

unre9istered
2010-07-19, 09:40 AM
David

"Well if they want to go check out the Stirgenest Cairn, that's their business. Any of you guys heard of this Whispering Cairn the drunk was talking about? I thought at first they might be the same thing, but I can't imagine that empty crypt could have held anything for at least a generation or two now that I think about it," David says quietly to the table.

OOC:Sorry, I completely missed the fact that 2 cairns were mentioned in the OP. I'll have to start reading more carefully. My only defense is the pain killers I was on because of my teeth.

Fable Wright
2010-07-19, 10:00 AM
Meh. I know. The natives of the town know that the Whispering Cairn is a creepy old cairn that had an aura of doom about it, and it is often used to test the bravery of kids, and a common initiation ritual to get into clubs.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-19, 06:49 PM
So it's off to Whispering Cairn then? I hope you don't mind if I tag along.

Also David... that was your name right? Why did you went to ask those so called "adventurers? I think you are better off with us.

unre9istered
2010-07-19, 07:46 PM
David

"Because we were just sitting here cooling our heels while they were planning on exploring, though I misunderstood what they were exploring. I want to do things that haven't been done--see things that haven't been seen. And well, I've seen and done most things that are worth doing and seeing in this tavern," David answers.

Cardea
2010-07-19, 07:59 PM
"Yeah, Aurox, do you know how long it took David here to act cool, order another drink and put his foot up on the table twenty-seven nights in a row?" Claires jibes. "But seriously, it's better than lounging here and watching you stupids drink yourselves to a stupor."

Fable Wright
2010-07-19, 08:11 PM
To be fair, some of the drunks are incredibly amusing.

King Tius
2010-07-19, 08:16 PM
Craer Fadeleaf

The small Halfling which you are all conveniently previously acquainted with takes a big swig from his human-sized flagon of ale. He stands up on his chair and mutters a very quick incantation, lobbing a baseball-sized orb of blue magic directly at the adventurer's drinking glass (the one who kicked David). As the glass turns completely frozen, he smiles with satisfaction and quickly sits back down.

"Those jerks couldn't find their way out of a barn, nevermind the Stirgenest Cairn. I'm all for heading to the Whisperer, though. Maybe it'll give us something to rub in their stupid faces."

@random: are our blues too similar?

pcamp88
2010-07-19, 08:25 PM
Riddion

Riddion chuckles at Claire. "Haha, relax Claire, I'm only on my third pint. If I couldn't handle that much I wouldn't bother drinking in public. Anyhow, I'm all for a little spelunking into the Cairn the old man mentioned. I am getting rather bored listening to the snobbish ones over there."

unre9istered
2010-07-19, 08:49 PM
David

"Really, none of us drink more than we can handle. Well maybe Craer but that's because his glass is too big for his hands," David says, poking fun in a friendly manner.

OOC:As long as a name shows up at the top of the post or at least somewhere in the post, the color doesn't matter as much.

Fable Wright
2010-07-19, 09:06 PM
Well put. The young man who joined you says, Let's go! I'll see you there around noon! and then he walks off.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-19, 09:44 PM
Aurox

"Fine, fine I was just wondering why he did that.

unre9istered
2010-07-19, 10:21 PM
David

"Well if I have to be up and to the cairn by noon..." David says, trying to gauge the time, "...I guess I've got time for one more," he says, signaling the barmaid.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-19, 10:26 PM
Aurox

"I guess I could use another one, another mug of ale please, but please put it in the waterskin Aurox says to the barmaid, after he fill his waterskin Aurox stands up and adresses his companions

"I need to get a few supplies from my room, I'll met you here in time for leaving" With that words, aurox leaves going to the room that has been his house for the past weeks.

pcamp88
2010-07-20, 01:53 PM
Riddion

Riddion gives Aurox a nod, finishing up the last of his ale. "On that note, I'm off to my room as well. I've got kind of a lengthy preparation."

Riddion heads off to his room and begins a lengthy prepare to Fharlaghn for the safety of himself and his companions.

Cardea
2010-07-20, 11:34 PM
Claire

"Alright then. I'll see you guys tomorrow noon." Claire goes to her room, and braces a chair against the door handle, and what passes as a dresser against the window. She lies down on the bed and falls asleep.

Fortuna
2010-07-21, 03:51 AM
Notral

"Noon tomorrow it is, then. I'll see you there. And please, try not to kill everything and anything we meet?"

Fable Wright
2010-07-24, 04:22 PM
You wake up early, around 8 O'Clock, and, after making sure your bags are packed, start heading out to the cairn. After hours of walking, you finally drag yourselves up to the old abandoned mine office that you know is nearby the cairn. You agreed to meet here previously, and you wait for the others to show up.

unre9istered
2010-07-26, 10:25 AM
David

David arrives at the cairn very shortly before noon. He looks around to see if any others have arrived yet and calls out, "Anyone here? Don't tell me I'm the only one to show up!?"

Fable Wright
2010-07-26, 11:00 AM
You find that you're the first to show up.

King Tius
2010-07-26, 08:03 PM
Craer is the second to arrive. He would have been the first, if he hadn't drank so much the night before. Grumpy but still determined, he marches right up to David and stands comfortably in his shadow, shielding his hung-over eyes from the sun. He nods curtly as he rubs his temples.

"What I wouldn't give for a darkness spell right now..."

Fable Wright
2010-07-26, 08:18 PM
There is no shade- it's high noon. Although, it is shady inside of the mine office...

unre9istered
2010-07-26, 09:36 PM
David

"Heh, I thought I would end up being the last one here, instead I'm the first. I guess I underestimated how much you all drink." David says jovially. "Do you want to wait in the office there? You'll probably be trading dust for the sunlight, but it might be worth if you've got a head from last night."

Fortuna
2010-07-27, 04:31 AM
Notral

Notral turns up, a little behind schedule but looking ready for anything. He lets a wisp of energy, brilliant blue in colour, dance through his fingers as he approaches.

"Sorry I'm late."

He offers no further explanation.

Cardea
2010-07-27, 01:32 PM
Claire

Claire rubs her arm, trying to rub off some of the pain of memorizing her spells for the morning. She smiles as she sees her group of idiots while walking to where they had agreed to meet. "Hey boys."

pcamp88
2010-07-27, 04:40 PM
Riddion

"Good to see that you all made it!" Riddion says happily, approaching his comrades. Looking around, he notices that one person is missing. "Haha, looks like Aurox must have slept in. I'm sure he'll show up soon."

unre9istered
2010-07-27, 09:06 PM
David

"We're also missing that strange young man who said he was going to meet us here," David points out.

King Tius
2010-08-03, 10:37 AM
Craer emits a mixture of a groan and a low growl as he heads into the office mine, he'll go in just far enough that his eyes will be sheilded from the sun and then he'll look around.

unre9istered
2010-08-03, 12:31 PM
David

"I think we've waited long enough for that other guy, let's head in. Anyone know anything about what this place is supposed to have in it?" David asks.

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 12:44 PM
No one knows anything about it. No one ever goes in, except just inside. It's a mystery...

King Tius
2010-08-03, 12:48 PM
What do I see just inside?

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 12:49 PM
You never went in. And you don't see the cairn right now.

King Tius
2010-08-03, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry. I meant: what do I see in the office?

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 12:54 PM
It's an old, worn out mining office. It's fairly dusty, and definitely unused. When you step inside, the floorboards creak a little, and there are papers scattered everywhere. However, you can see that it used to be an impressive and well cared for office. If you had the time later, you feel like you could renovate the place...
Make a spot check.

King Tius
2010-08-03, 01:01 PM
Spot Check: [roll0]

EDIT: WIN

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 01:05 PM
You see the deed of the place lying on the floor, abandoned, near a stack of papers. It's faded gold filigree caught your eye, and after you examine it further, you recognize it for what it is.

King Tius
2010-08-03, 01:08 PM
Ok, cool. Craer walks back out into the sunlight and throws a thumb over his shoulder. "Nothing interesting in there."

OOG: Wooo, roleplaying!

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 01:10 PM
Everyone else make a spot check.

And a sense motive check.

King Tius
2010-08-03, 01:20 PM
Additional rolls:

*Listen: [roll0]
*Search: [roll1]

pcamp88
2010-08-03, 01:35 PM
Spot: [roll0]
S.M.: [roll1]

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 02:02 PM
pcamp88:
You get the feeling he's lying.

unre9istered
2010-08-03, 04:11 PM
OOC:Spot: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

Fable Wright
2010-08-03, 04:13 PM
unre9istered:
You see Craer pick up a piece of paper and put it in his pocket.

Cardea
2010-08-04, 01:17 AM
Claire

Sense Motive: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Fortuna
2010-08-04, 05:01 AM
Notral

((Sorry, the thread looked dead in my searches. Not sure why.))

SM: [roll0]

pcamp88
2010-08-04, 01:07 PM
Riddion

"Are you sure there wasn't anything? You weren't in there for very long." He says to Craer.

King Tius
2010-08-04, 01:15 PM
Craer

Realizing he's been caught, he fesses up. "I found the deed to this place. I bet we can get a fair price for it."

Fable Wright
2010-08-04, 01:31 PM
You all get a sense of the inherent irony, as some of the tiles fall off the roof. You get a sense that it would make a nice base, but right now, the place is worthless.

unre9istered
2010-08-04, 01:57 PM
David

"Well that's good. If we didn't find anything here I was going to be out on the street at the end of the week, David says, "Considering the locale, rent in Diamond Lake is awful steep."

Fortuna
2010-08-05, 04:38 AM
Notral

"Although one can live off the wild, the option of not doing so is in many ways one of the greatest luxuries one can have in that action. This is indeed good news, even if I suspect that we would get a better price were we of the Painted and trying to sell a diamond as glass."

King Tius
2010-08-06, 01:31 AM
"Alright, enough dawdling, let's get on with it." Craer is going to venture into the mine.

OOC: C'mon folks, let's keep this thing going!

Fortuna
2010-08-08, 05:23 AM
Notral

"Onward indeed!"

OOC: Couldn't agree more.

unre9istered
2010-08-08, 02:58 PM
David

David follows the others towards the cairn.

Fable Wright
2010-08-08, 03:58 PM
Make search checks.

King Tius
2010-08-08, 04:01 PM
Craer's Search Roll: [roll0]

unre9istered
2010-08-08, 10:32 PM
David

David looks around to see if anything seems out of place.

OOC:The requested search check: [roll0]

Fortuna
2010-08-10, 05:24 AM
Notral seems oblivious as he steps into the dungeon.

[roll0] (untrained)

Fable Wright
2010-08-10, 02:40 PM
(The search check was to find the dungeon)
You see the entrance to the cairn, obscured by underbrush and boulders, around 10 minutes away from the mining office. After treading across the underbrush and jagged rocks, you enter the cairn.
(Unless otherwise noted, the interior passages are 20ft wide, 20ft tall, and have ceilings of smooth stone.)

Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into the darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like a sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart by weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the wall in places, hinting at what must have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor.

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into the shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth about the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove.

Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

(Make a spot check, and any other checks you would like to make.)

unre9istered
2010-08-10, 06:56 PM
David

"Yuck! Purple and mustard? Who built this place?" David says jokingly. He looks around at the damage on the walls in the alcoves and starts carefully searching the area, "Be careful, it might have been traps or fights that damaged these walls."

OOC:Search for traps: [roll0]
Search for anything else: [roll1]

Fable Wright
2010-08-10, 07:05 PM
You have to be specific on what you search. Do you search the walls, the ceiling, the moldy lump of cloth, the corridors leading out, or what?

unre9istered
2010-08-10, 07:53 PM
I'm searching the alcoves with the heavily damaged walls, starting with the floors and working my way up.

King Tius
2010-08-13, 12:25 PM
Craer will search the lump of halfling-sized cloth.

Search:[roll0]
Also, a general Spot check

Fable Wright
2010-08-13, 05:28 PM
unre9istered: You notice small tubes in the walls in the colored bands. They seems to be the source of the whistling sound.

King Tius: The cloth is brittle and cracks easily. You see nothing important in or around it.

unre9istered
2010-08-14, 12:10 AM
David

"I don't know what to make of this," David says, "There are tubes in the wall here, that's what's making the whistling, but I can't seem to figure out what they're for. Maybe they're here to make the noise and scare people away. It'd be funny if that's why no one has explored this place."

Fortuna
2010-08-14, 07:24 PM
"Very much so. Perhaps my blade will not need to taste blood today after all."

unre9istered
2010-08-15, 11:49 AM
David

"Hah!" David laughs, "I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure there are plenty of vicious critters in there that wouldn't have been scared off by this."

King Tius
2010-08-15, 02:19 PM
OOC: I'm a little confused. Is there a main hallway that continues down with these alcoves on the side, or is this a very, very short little mine with just two little alcoves?

Fable Wright
2010-08-15, 07:27 PM
It's one long corridor that continues into the darkness, with 2 large alcoves protruding out to the sides.

King Tius
2010-08-15, 08:15 PM
Super. In that case, Craer is going to start creeping down the hallway, past the two alcoves, trying to see what is out there. Before he does so, he whispers to the group:

"I'm going to go take a peak up ahead. Shout if you need me."

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

Fable Wright
2010-08-15, 08:33 PM
You sneak up ahead and you see... 2 more alcoves.

King Tius
2010-08-15, 10:47 PM
Craer sighs slightly and whistles back to the group.

"Two more, up here!"

Let's search the right one first. Obviously before he starts to look around in detail he is going to scan and make sure there aren't any monsters lurking.

Search:[roll0]

Fable Wright
2010-08-15, 10:52 PM
Fifteen feet down the east passage, a huge pile of collapsed rubble blocks the alcove from top to bottom. It looks like it would take weeks to tunnel through it.

Alright- assuming you have either a) lit a torch, b) have low-light vision, or c) darkvision, roll a spot check. And a listen check.

King Tius
2010-08-18, 10:42 AM
I guess I'll have to go the Torch route.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 10:44 AM
You see nothing out of place.

King Tius
2010-08-18, 10:45 AM
Craer will wait here until the rest of the group catches up to him. Once that happens, he will continue on.

unre9istered
2010-08-18, 10:06 PM
David

Finding nothing of concern or interest in the first alcoves, David heads further down the hallway after his companions.

OOC:Are these alcoves more than just small rooms off of the hallway? I'm confused as to how a dead end could be blocked off.

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 10:10 PM
They are about 40ft protrusions into solid rock, 20ft wide and high. The alcoves near King Tius go even deeper. However, one of them is blocked off about halfway through.

unre9istered
2010-08-18, 11:18 PM
David

David checks each alcove for other exits or nastier surprises as he heads further in. He pulls out his own torch and lights it, holding it in his right hand while readying his shield on his left arm. He proceeds as far as Craer, having seen that he got by without getting hit with a trap, before growing cautious again, scanning the ground for trap triggers as he goes.
OOC:Search checks for traps on the ground as I head further in:
1 [roll0]
2 [roll1]
3 [roll2]

Fable Wright
2010-08-18, 11:20 PM
Which alcove do you search first?

unre9istered
2010-08-20, 12:37 AM
OOC:I'll start with the one with the bundle of cloth and then the one opposite. I'll check each pair of alcoves I come across, starting each pair with the one to my right, skipping the one Craer is in.

Fable Wright
2010-08-20, 01:04 AM
The bundle of cloth is in the main hall. you move into the right alcove.

I need the locations of everyone in the party before we continue.

Fortuna
2010-08-20, 03:56 AM
OOC:
I'm standing roughly in the middle of the hallway, slightly ahead of the pair of alcoves behind King Tius.

King Tius
2010-08-20, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty much in the center of the hallway as well.