PDA

View Full Version : Plots and side plots

NoAdvantageBP
2010-07-18, 01:53 PM
I was just wondering for all you gamers out there. When you are in game, do you like the DM to stick to the plot line, and get to the end game quicker, or do you like to also have a side plot every once in a while that has nothing to do with the ultimate goal, just to mix it up a little?

Totally Guy
2010-07-18, 01:59 PM
Surely choosing to pursue different situations is in the hands of the players.

I prefer doing the things that are interesting to me. To do this I'll communicate what those interests are to the rest of the table.

Prodan
2010-07-18, 02:00 PM
Spice is the variety of life.

NoAdvantageBP
2010-07-18, 02:03 PM
Surely choosing to pursue different situations is in the hands of the players.

Correct, but the DM could always choose to introduce a situation to the game that has nothing to do with the main plot. It is up to the players to decide whether or not to take it. I guess my question is do players like these situations introduced or do they feel like it was a waste of time when it's done because it didn't help in their mission.

Jeffanth
2010-07-18, 02:07 PM
My dM is a big fan of sandboxes (and the rest of the group likes em too) so there is rarely a "main plot" for me. Its really entirely side plots that we may or may not choose to be involved with.

Kylarra
2010-07-18, 02:18 PM
Ideally I'd like to stick to a plot, but in practice, no plot survives contact with the players.

cZak
2010-07-18, 02:47 PM
I love side plot/ hooks that have an on-going effect.
I picture them as RP opportunity outside the main hunt down BBEG & kill.

They should not interfere with the main plot, but be something in the background that could lead to a 'next stage' scenario.

Many pre-written modules hint at these, and I wonder if DM's run with em.

RHoDIn the first chapter, there is mentioned a follower of Erythnul in Drellin's Ferry, but nothing else.

I had her take advantage of the chaos of the advancing army and slauhter a farmstead/ family. The players initially thought it was agents of the Horde, but eventually found enough clues to cast doubts. The whole scenario/ side plot covered about three sessions, but was done while they were primarily investigating the Horde.

It REALLY motivated the players to do something about it, and did not detract from the overall plot line. And, I think, was really enjoyed by the group. It gave them a closer feel/ connection to the town than just a wandering group of adventurers would have.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-18, 03:57 PM
Sandbox. I have no idea what the main plot even is. I generally manage to weave things together, though, and the players are often intrigued by things relating to what they've done before, so sometimes a main plot sorta just appears.