PDA

View Full Version : Durable Body [3.5 Alternate Class Feature]

Temotei
2010-07-18, 02:39 PM
Durable Body
Some monks research close combat more than others, relying on their melee capabilities more than their knowledge of how to avoid spells and similar effects. Such monks are able to easily shrug off damage like a high-level barbarian and fight with the big, armored front-liners.
The durable body class feature allows the monk to take to the front lines with the barbarian and fighter more often, and lessens the need for healing and protection. However, this focus on durability in mundane combat takes away from a monk's magical defense.
Level: Monk 2nd.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain evasion, improved evasion, or still mind.
Benefit: You gain 2/- damage reduction. This improves by 1/- per level after 2nd.
In addition, once per round, when your damage reduction absorbs damage in melee, you may make a free sunder or disarm attempt against the opponent's weapon. This represents your skins' ability to turn weapons aside as easily as a rock.

arguskos
2010-07-18, 02:41 PM
Really? Level 13? Monks need help a lot earlier than that. :smalltongue:

Make this, say, level 6, and I might roll with it. Make Monks a kind of tank class. Could be interesting.

Diabolical
2010-07-18, 02:49 PM
Uh if this was level 6 by the time you got to level 20 youd have a DR of like 17...

arguskos
2010-07-18, 02:52 PM
Uh if this was level 6 by the time you got to level 20 youd have a DR of like 17...
...so? DR isn't that amazing, and it's on a MONK. It would only advance if you have more monk levels. Tanking isn't that useful in D&D.

I really don't feel this would be an issue at a lower level.

Temotei
2010-07-18, 02:55 PM
How's that? :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-07-18, 02:56 PM
How's that? :smalltongue:
I see what you did there. :smallamused:

See, now I want to make a new base class that is actually an effective tanker. Might do that later tonight. OHWAIT SC2 beta closes tomorrow. Ok, I might do it tomorrow then. :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-07-18, 03:01 PM
I see what you did there. :smallamused:

See, now I want to make a new base class that is actually an effective tanker. Might do that later tonight. OHWAIT SC2 beta closes tomorrow. Ok, I might do it tomorrow then. :smallbiggrin:

That sounds fun. I might have to do that before you do so it appears that you're copying me. :smallwink:

arguskos
2010-07-18, 03:11 PM
That sounds fun. I might have to do that before you do so it appears that you're copying me. :smallwink:
Hey now, I called it. Leave me to my fun.

Temotei
2010-07-18, 03:17 PM
Hey now, I called it. Leave me to my fun.

Heh. I take too long to make base classes. You'll have yours finished way before I even consider making mine.

21. Dang.

Realms of Chaos
2010-07-19, 10:00 AM
On some level, the point of alternate class features is to provide a new ability that is about equal in power but superior in utility for certain builds utilizing that class.

That said, how on earth does a situational +2 saving throw bonus = DR 20/- + reflexive sundering/disarming?

Try throwing out the extra attacks from flurry of blows as well and only give this guy the DR when he makes a successful attack with the normal penalty from the attacks (which decreases as you level as normal). That would be a bit more balanced.

Ashtagon
2010-07-19, 10:10 AM
The reflexive disarm/sunder (who chooses which?) could quickly turn into a dice-rolling festival. At the very least, I'd only allow that attempt if damage was reduced to zero because of this ability.

As others have said, it is ridiculously overpowered compared to the ability it replaces.

Eloel
2010-07-19, 11:37 AM
As others have said, it is ridiculously overpowered compared to the ability it replaces.

You're putting it on a L3 monk.

You could give him DR2/level, and it would still be on a monk.

A fighter is better than a monk, and that should be telling something.

Should change DR into FH, for competitiveness with the fighter.

Ashtagon
2010-07-19, 11:41 AM
You're putting it on a L3 monk.

You could give him DR2/level, and it would still be on a monk.

Point is.... DR 3/- rising to 20/-, or +2 bonus on saves against enchantment spells? This is a no-brainer choice.

Temotei
2010-07-19, 11:49 AM
...On some level, the point of alternate class features is to provide a new ability that is about equal in power but superior in utility for certain builds utilizing that class.

This reminds me of the lion totem barbarian (Complete Champion).

That said, how on earth does a situational +2 saving throw bonus = DR 20/- + reflexive sundering/disarming?

It doesn't. It's not really supposed to, I suppose. You've got a point, though. I'll throw something else out somewhere.

The reflexive disarm/sunder (who chooses which?) could quickly turn into a dice-rolling festival. At the very least, I'd only allow that attempt if damage was reduced to zero because of this ability.

I was going to do that, but at higher levels, it will never happen unless the DM decides to throw a bunch of mooks at you.

Evasion and improved evasion were cut out. A "once per round" limit has been placed on the automatic sunder/disarm attempt. It's been lowered to 2nd level with 2/- damage reduction, for the same amount later.

Note that damage reduction is sorely overrated when you're critiquing.