PDA

View Full Version : Animal Devotion Feat

bartman
2010-07-18, 03:12 PM
I am a level 10 TWF/Imp TWF Pathfinder rogue. If I use the Animal Devotion feat to gain a bite attack, and then full attack, would the attack action be MH, OH, Bite, MH, OH, Bite? or would I only get one bite? would I still be able to take the second MH/OH attack if i use the bite as well? What would the attack modifiers be?

Grumman
2010-07-18, 03:21 PM
Natural attacks do not get iterative attacks. As you're using it as a secondary natural attack, it gets a -5 penalty to hit.

bartman
2010-07-18, 03:22 PM
so that would mean my full attack would be (and modifiers) MH (-2), OH (-2), Bite (-5), MH (-7), OH (-7)?

tyckspoon
2010-07-18, 03:24 PM
Natural weapons come in two varieties, Primary and Secondary. A primary natural weapon attacks at BAB. A secondary natural weapon attacks at BAB -5. Natural weapons used in conjunction with manufactured weapons are almost always used as secondary, but can be primary if you are only attacking with them (as when you are making a Standard action attack, for example, and the Bite may be the highest-damaging attack you have.)

Your number of attacks with natural weapons has nothing to do with your BAB; instead, its based on the number of natural weapons you have. Since the feat will give you 1 Bite, you get 1 Bite. The Bite attack may be placed wherever you desire in the full attack sequence, but for convenience it is usually listed and resolved separately from the weapon-based attacks. So your full attack sequence would look like:

Full BAB Mainhand/Full BAB Offhand/BAB-5 Main/BAB-5 Off, BAB-5 Bite.

Powerfamiliar
2010-07-18, 03:30 PM
This explains it pretty well: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks

Pathfinder changed how natural attacks work a bit, but when fighting with weapons it seems to be the same as 3.5. Here is the relevant text:

"Creatures with natural attacks and attacks made with weapons can use both as part of a full attack action (although often a creature must forgo one natural attack for each weapon clutched in that limb, be it a claw, tentacle, or slam). Such creatures attack with their weapons normally but treat all of their natural attacks as secondary attacks during that attack, regardless of the attack's original type."

Runeclaw
2010-07-21, 08:32 PM
It's worth noting that the Pathfinder Core Book has some text about Natural Attacks, when combined with manufactured weapons, suffering both the penalties for Secondary Attacks AND Two Weapon Fighting. This is crap, and is contradicted by the Bestiary. The FAQ says to go with Bestiary.

So, yes. Do your manufactured weapon routine as normal. Then throw in a bite as a secondary attack (-5) at the end. Unless you pickup Multiattack, obviously, in which case you can reduce that penalty.