PDA

View Full Version : Gandian Adventures (IC)

Frosty
2010-07-18, 03:14 PM
The numerous candle-lights barely illuminate this large tavern (now with 50% more dark corners!), giving you two the feeling that the patrons in here would prefer not to be seen as they nurse their cheap drinks and/or discuss their invariable shady-deals with one another.

You two had noticed discreet adverts on various boards around the city, calling for "men of resource for low-key retrieval of materials." The promised pay looked a bit small, but the advert grants you full-salvage rights on all that you find. The advert had stated that those interested should sit at a certain table in a certain tavern tonight, and wait for a half-elf with black hair to make contact.

And here you sit, apparently just the two of you had decided that this job is worth it. You two have just been ther efor a few minutes. Feel free to introduce yourselves to each other before the contact arrives.

NM020110
2010-07-18, 05:53 PM
I am currently appearing as a tall and somewhat gaunt human wearing a very heavy robe embroidered with thick golden thread. As I came in to sit down, I leaned heavily upon a thick, gold inset walking staff. Though I my posture suggests that I am quite at ease, my eyes dart every which way as if looking for something.

OOC: I am claiming silver as my speech color.

"Are you also here for that offer?"

Felyndiira
2010-07-18, 10:07 PM
Wow, I didn't even know this started o.o. Also, I don't like colored speeches, so I'll use black for my speech if that's okay with you.

He had commanded me here, and like a obedient little puppet dragged along by my strings, I followed.

Never, in my childhood of one-hundred years, have I imagined that I would eventually end up in such a deranged place. The skies themselves were corrupted here - I had reached out in the morning hoping for some glimmer of a radiant sky, but every time, my cries were answered by a colorless sun hiding behind a vast expanse of clouds. I tried to pinch my cheeks, telling myself that it's all just a nightmare, but the dream didn't end; those damnable gray skies were always the only thing that greeted my eyes.

I followed the instructions that he had given me; a young elf girl, frail and walking alone in the dark streets of Gand. A slight breeze brushed against me and I shivered, drawing my dress and scarf closer to my face. I could barely walk when I left my bed that morning; and even now, my legs would hardly listen to me as I trudged along. I felt weak, vulnerable, but that was not here or there. The job was the only thing I was supposed to

My destination was a simple tavern. My anemia had somehow improved now; the rope burns around my arms and legs were finally beginning to fade, and I slowly regained control over my hands. I grumbled, remembering that he had pretended to care for me as he came to deliver word of my next mission. "What had happened?" he had asked, slowly unwinding the rope from my hands. "Nothing, master," I had replied, and he did not pursue the point. I was actually afraid to tell anything other than a lie.

I find a chair near the designated table, untouched. There was another man here - only one other fool to share a thankless job for the corrupted city. I couldn't be sure from the dim flames, but he looked almost as old as he was rough, leaning on a wretched cane as he trudged along the tavern. Perhaps his reasons were no different from my master; did he hate the guilds, too? Was he here for some sort of revenge, or was he simply seeking his share of the supposed wealth? I didn't dare speak a word, but he was the first to break the silence, in a gruff and gentlemanly voice. "Are you also here for that offer?"

"Yes," I replied. I had tried to sound more elegant, although I could not hide my child-like soprano voice. I fidgeted with my hair for a bit, and decided to still myself with a conversation. "I-ah, I'm Yurice. I-it's nice to meet you," I studdered, trying to extrude an image of a professional rather than that of an unworldly child; the best way to talk to people is to project an aura of incompetence, he had advised me before, but I had already presented myself as a jumping mongoose to my only known comrade. I prayed that I would not alienate this old man that was to become my companion in this one-sided battle.

I loathed my master (the old man, I'm indifferent), although I dared not betray his expectations.

NM020110
2010-07-18, 10:39 PM
<mumbling to self, but easily audible> DC -2 listen check to hear it...> "Ah, another of this city's poor. Though there does seem to be something different about this one..." <Aloud> "My, you're quite the chipper one. Though there does seem to be something...not quite right, about you..."

OOC: It may be best to have an aura of competence, rather than incompetence...There does seem to be a bit of irony here. One of us is conditioned to lie in all situations, the other tells the truth in almost all situations.

Felyndiira
2010-07-19, 09:56 AM
Who said Yurice is conditioned to lie =p? It's bad to read too much into the fluff, or it will get into your head and drive you mad :smalltongue:. MAD! More seriously, though, the "aura of incompetence" is derived from a picture titled "Look Sharp (Not)!" that advises looking a bit out-of-focus in a diplomatic situation so that your opponent drops his guard (obfuscating stupidity, I believe) - basically, Yurice is trying to doing that and is utterly failing at it =p.

Also, perception check, possibly =p? [roll0]
^ Does this mean that I heard what Mr. Baron mumbled =p?

"Something n-not right about me?" I was a bit surprised; was there something that this man could perceive, aside from my subtle stutters? I paused for a bit, peering at my hands and my body; I could barely notice a few flicks of dust on my dress, although there was nothing else unusual about me. Perhaps it was simply a jest, and I'm simply illogically nervous, having worked with someone other than him for the first time?

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to mask my apprehension.

NM020110
2010-07-19, 10:25 AM
"Though you seem very nervous, and seem to be somewhat depressed, you are unique among those I have met in this city (said with a measure of disgust). Though you try to mask it with a stutter and a sullen face, it would appear that you have hope.

OOC: You beat the DC by twenty-one...As for the conditioning to lie...
I was actually afraid to tell anything other than a lie.

Felyndiira
2010-07-19, 10:48 AM
That was just a bit of fluff =p. Yurice is too scared of her employer to really open her heart to him, so instead of "oh, my client beat me last night, tied me to a bed, and XXX," she just dismissed the problem with a lie. She doesn't always do that.

"Hope. That would be nice." I felt a bit relieved that I didn't immediately make an enemy out of my prospective partner-in-crime. I couldn't understand what he meant by 'hope,' however; was I really hopeful? Was there something that I wanted, that I still felt was entirely within the grasp of my weakened hands? Perhaps I still hoped for a glimpse of my freedom. Maybe it was something else that he has sensed in me...well, it's not a topic that I'd lightly speak of, especially in such a setting.

"U-um, if you don't mind me asking," I stammered, trying to change the topic. "I-if you don't mind me asking, why d-did you take this job? I-it's okay if you don't want to answer, but - er, I'm just a bit c-curious."

NM020110
2010-07-19, 01:32 PM
"I came here with hopes of meeting someone with a bit of hope. Hope is the key to many things...Would you like something to drink?"

Felyndiira
2010-07-19, 02:57 PM
"I..." I had realized that I must have been an odd image, sitting at a tavern without a single drink in hand. This was a place where horrible people hang out; most of them were here for some sort of unpleasant business just as we were, although - as I glanced around - they had at least tried to keep the image. "I'd like, er, a jug of milk. I think."

I'm sure the others were snickering at the order.

"So, um, mister. Why are you trying to find hope?" I had tried to restrain myself, but my curiosity would not be hindered. Truthfully, I had expected him to respond with "money," perhaps with a desire for prestige or lunacy. His answer: hope - the old man seemed almost different from the other denizens of this city, and she wanted to hear more about him. "Are you using it as a spell component to do something amazing, like turning this city into a paradise?"

I couldn't help myself. That was certainly a strange thing for anyone to say, and I could almost hear the snickers of the nearby patrons, but I was still a child. Thus, I clung to the precious story like a raccoon to a glass marble, trying to enjoy it for as long as possible before the inevitable arrival of our client.

NM020110
2010-07-19, 06:06 PM
I pull out three copper pieces and lay them on the table. After setting them down, I beckon for someone to fill the order.

"Not exactly a spell component, but the objective is the same. "

I make it a point to completely and utterly fail to remember to attempt to recognize the possibility of the existence of anyone snickering at the conversation.

Frosty
2010-07-20, 12:34 AM
While you two chat away and introduce yourself, a half-elf wrapped in a large (but not billowing) gray cloak approaches the table. He does not sport obvious signs of finery such as gold rings, and the way he moves suggests competence. He does indeed have black hair, and he looks you two over for a few seconds before speaking to the Baron.

"Greetings, seeker. You may call me Mr. Jowansune. It appears that there are fewer competent freelancers in the city than expected, but if you can get the job done, then you will not have to split your earnings, human. But pray tell, why have you brought your...concubine along?" He gestures briefly towards Yurice.

Felyndiira
2010-07-20, 08:22 AM
I kept silent, burying my head behind the jug of milk as it arrived. I had almost forgotten about Gand and one of its chief prejudices, and at the moment, I thought it might be wise to keep to myself and allow my companion to answer. After all, girls were expected to be a perfect doll, to be seen and not heard, and I had never been very good at expressing myself.

I did slip a few cubes of conjured ice into my drink, however. I hoped that the elf would not notice or - if he did, would not think of it as too strange.

NM020110
2010-07-20, 09:57 AM
<taking mild offense to the statement>"She is an independent operative. If you are done making insinuations, I would like to hear of our target."
OOC: I am aware that this is not the most diplomatic thing to do, but my character is unfamiliar with the customs of Gand.

Frosty
2010-07-20, 07:40 PM
Mr. Jowasune could barely hide his look of disgust as he continues on. "Very well, I suppose there could be an element of surprise you two could utilize. Just remember that we want this job to be low-key. We don't want rumors spreading that our guild is an easy target. A day ago, a group of ruffians ambushed one of our goods transports and made off with the contents of the entire wagon. Reports indicate that a troll may have been involved in this theft, but people are too nervous to talk to my known associates from ExtractorTech, not wanting to possibly get on the bad side of the Troll Anti-Defamation League."

The half-elf pauses to light some devilweed, filling the table with an aromatic smoke. "You two are new to Gand, and may have more luck with gathering information. The goods stolen were mostly weapons. Those are not too hard to replace. However, there are also some...alchemical equipments, purifiers, and...a large egg in the stash. Those we definitely want back safe and sound. Find out who took our supplies, where the supplies are being kept, and retrieve the supplies. Any extra equipment you find is yours, in addition the 1000 gold you will be paid total."

NM020110
2010-07-20, 08:41 PM
"Very well then. Is there anything else? If not I'd like to have the terms in writing."
<I pull out a small piece of parchment and write out a contract>

ExtractorTech contract 1
Involved Party: Mr. Jowansune, half-elf affiliate of ExtractorTech.
Granted term: Mr. Jowansune or a representative thereof shall grant the other signatories 1000 gold on completion of the task. Signatories shall be granted possession of all equipment in possession of the guards (if any).
Counter term: Signatories shall recover the supplies mentioned in the verbal agreement, including weapons, alchemical equipment, purifiers, and a large egg.
Additional term: If any party reneges on the terms listed above, that party shall be subject to 3d6 damage.

"Will that be acceptable?"

OOC:
1.) Is the gold to be delivered 1000 per person or 1000 to the party?
2.) Does he appear to be nervous while reading the contract?

Felyndiira
2010-07-20, 10:16 PM
I eyed the parchment with a bit of curiosity, continuing to hide behind my jug of now iced milk. Sliding a bit closer to the older man, I tried to read a few of the words on the parchment. I could barely make out the introductions to a contract; although I couldn't read the details, it struck me as strange that such a precaution would ever be needed. After all, if the elf - backed by one of the guilds that master told me about - wanted to break his word, how would a piece of paper stop him?

I continued sipping, trying my best to feign a bit of ignorance at the issue. Perhaps this is something else I should ask my companion later, whenever I get the chance. For now, I should at least try to be an obedient child.

I don't think I have to roll spot to read a few words from paper that's very close to me, although if I do, please tell me, and I'll roll the check: [roll0].

Also, Yurice will probably just stay quiet at the sides unless if she's directly petitioned, so please conduct the exchange between the elf and Baron without waiting for me to reply.

NM020110
2010-07-20, 10:37 PM
OOC: In character, I am rather...paranoid about having others not fulfill their contracts. If only my sanctify oath class feature worked on verbal agreements...Also, I don't trust that he is representing a guild. He could be a supplier who had his cargo stolen, and is using us to weaken the guard. After we have recovered the cargo, he tells the guild who we are, and that we stole it. Then they come, kill us, and take the cargo with him not having to pay us.

Frosty
2010-07-21, 02:32 AM
ooc - his words should have made it clear that the reward is 1000 gold no matter how big your group is. He isn't paying more for every helper you have.

As you write the contract, his face visibly darkens, although he does not appear nervous. "I see that it is *extremely* obvious that you are new in town, and don't know the ways of doing business. In case you are not aware, this is not an 'up and up' operation. Paper trails are BAD. What if you two get captured and this contract is found?"

Mr. Jowasune shakes his head and sighs. "500 gold up front. 500 more upon completion. That's how things work. If you try to run with the gold...well...just don't. No written paper trail."

NM020110
2010-07-21, 12:38 PM
"That should be a...sufficient guarantee. Anything else?"
<I write void at the bottom of the contract and throw it into the fireplace.>

Frosty
2010-07-21, 04:54 PM
Mr. Jowasune shakes his head. "Not much else. I can point out to you a few areas controlled by the TAL that populated by ruffian types. You two might start your information gathering there. When you have completed the assignment, go ahead and leave a written message for me with the barkeep here." He spells out his name for you, being very specific. "And before we adjourn, when I have further messages for you two, to whom might I address the messages to?"

NM020110
2010-07-22, 05:52 PM
"'Baron' will get my attention in short order."

Frosty
2010-07-24, 01:22 PM
A scroll and a bag of coins...not too big actually, slides across the table "The up-front payment, Baron. And also a map pointing to a few general areas you can try to hunt for rumors in. Get in contact with me as soon as you have made significant progress or have recovered the cargo. Good luck." Mr. Jowansune silently stands up and retreats into the haze that permeates this tavern.

The bag contains 50 platinum coins. Certainly less heavy and less noisy than a sack with 500 gold coins.

Felyndiira
2010-07-26, 07:59 PM
"Well, should we start, Baron?" I asked, carefully glancing at the gray elf as he disappeared into the distance. When he was fully away from sight, I whispered to Baron - my partner-in-crime - with a resigned expression. "It might arouse less suspicion if you claimed me as your daughter during all of this. The whole city's like that, as I found out."

Frosty
2010-07-27, 02:48 AM
With the elf gone and the smoke thick, you two feel like you have a lot of privacy again. Of course, the operative word here is "feel" and where you two want to talk and plan your next move is up to you...

NM020110
2010-07-30, 10:17 AM
"It would probably be best to search the smallest areas first. Do you agree?"

Frosty
2010-08-01, 01:49 PM
According to the information provided by Mr. Jowansune, one of the smaller areas that you can search is a neighborhood that contains a gambling hall controlled by the TAL. The Cyrstal Dice is frequented by thugs and low-lifes of all kinds, going there to blow off steam and to spend their ill-gotten coins on wenching and drinking and games of chance.

Felyndiira
2010-08-01, 02:43 PM
"I...that may be best." I spoke softly, intending to follow my companion's lead. Should I call him my companion? He's different from everyone else that I have met; I do not know why, but I feel that I can inherently put my trust in the man. Perhaps he's truly different from the rest of the world, or perhaps just a really good trickster and I'm falling for his lies. It's too bad that I've never been a good judge of character.

"Maybe we could...we should follow the elf's lead," she whispered, trying her best to sound a bit more assertive.

(Yuri will go to the gambling hall if Baron agrees.)

NM020110
2010-08-03, 08:42 PM
"A gambling hall? How fitting...If you have any preparations you would like to make before heading in the dragon's mouth, now is the time."

Felyndiira
2010-08-03, 08:56 PM
"I...I'll be okay with just my rapier," Yuri replied, tightly clutching the hilt of her blade.

Frosty
2010-08-04, 07:40 PM
Should you decide to make your way there, you two will notice people (the menfolk anyways) opening carrying weapons in the general vicinity. Many of the weapons are shoddy and of poor quality, but a dirty and blunt knife knife just meant you died painfully of disease over a few days instead of dying instantly. You can tell that the women don't carry weapons on account of them not wearing enough cloth to actually conceal anything. There's a close-knit feeling...of a sort here. Nobody trusts anybody else, as is evident by the weapons here, but at least the locals here all acknowledge the various unspoken rules and can be maybe depended upon to back one another up against intruders.

The Crystal Dice looks like it does more traffic later during the day, as right now traffic in and out of the establishment seems a tad sparse. It is currently early afternoon.

NM020110
2010-08-05, 01:46 PM
"Shall we enter?"
I will pull out three silver pieces and hold them loosely with my left hand. Right hand is using the cane.

Felyndiira
2010-08-05, 06:55 PM
I had already realized how out of place I am in this place. My violet dress was woven from common satin, very modest and unflattering in appearance, yet I appeared so out-of-place against this ambiance. I'm the only girl that's fully dressed here, and yet, I feel almost like an exhibitionist on the streets, displaying my shame to the entire city. In Gand, women were property, and clothing was its own form of debauchery; anything more than near nudity was a perversion almost unimaginable to the inhabitants of the place.

If you live here for long enough, you'll understand what I mean.

I felt the eyes of some of the townsmen dawn on me; some averted once my age dawned on them, although many - the most depraved of the depraved - would glare at me with a wicked grin; their knives were dull, I had come to learn, but they were clutched tightly inside their hands, ready to strike at almost any minute. Sometimes, they would wave harmlessly through the air as they laughed - as their eyes of fell on my companion, they scowled, their weapons seemingly pointed at my companion. I imagined that they were ready to strike him down at any moment; then, from his fall, they claim me as a new doll to be displayed. But still...

"Yeah, I suppose," I sighed, and followed him into the gambling hell.

Please excuse the terrible quality of this post. I am currently half-asleep =x.

NM020110
2010-08-05, 08:11 PM
I'll try and drop one of the coins on someone's shoe as I walk past. It should function as a gauge of the groups cohesion.

Felyndiira
2010-08-07, 12:44 PM
Frosty has the next say. Yuri has nothing else to do at the moment other than to follow.

Frosty
2010-08-07, 01:30 PM
The people frequenting this place, while not well-off, are at least in a position to come in gold coins frequently thanks to their trade as mercemaries and cut-throats. Granted, often-times they don't hold on to their gold for LONG, but they do have them often.

The various thugs all eye each other cooly, as if having some sort of mental bartering about who gets the dropped monies. Eventually the closest one scoopt it up non-chalantly, and almost immediately some of the nude girls hanging around the street corners converge on the man, all probably vying for his business. These girls all look like they could us esomething to eat.

NM020110
2010-08-11, 10:42 PM
Enter the hall, and then check to see if I still have the other two coins before putting them back in the haversack.

Felyndiira
2010-08-11, 11:23 PM
Looking at the scene was a bit painful. It reminded me too much of my own life in this wretched city: as a prostitute, still young and naive and open to the city's corruption, and as his little chew toy. I had difficulties remembering why I was even here; his words had become law over these long and miserable years. I always knew that he could not oppose me in a contest of strength, and yet, I had grown accustomed to obedience. His words were law, and even as my love for my mother grew distant and insignificant, I find it difficult to oppsed him.

"Baron," I whispered to my companion, slowly averting my eyes from the scene. I could see that he was not bothered by the city, and secretly, I wished for a similar resilience. One day, I would look into the black sky, and I would become a indistinct part of Gand's soils. I would be no better than that speck of mud on the ground, my identity stolen from me as I lay there, unthinking. As still as a corpse. Staring idly while he would play with me at his leisure. A bad thought, and one that I would rather not entertain as I walk these tainted halls.

"What do you think of this city," I asked. I had no particular use for an answer; merely, I wished to speak to him. To start a casual conversation as we walk into the center of the gambling hall. To talk. To speak, so that I can lose myself and forget about my damned future.

NM020110
2010-08-12, 01:34 PM
"It is...indecent and chaotic. I do not care for it."

Frosty
2010-08-14, 01:39 AM
Perhaps one day Yurice will adapt completely and utterly to the ways of Gand, becoming just like every other female within Gand in terms of outlook. Today is not that day, however. As long as she speaks her mind, she still has a voice. There, Baron's apparent indifference to the ways of the city is exposed as a lie as he readily admits his distaste...but is his distaste the same as that of Yurice's?

Baron seems to find the random, loud noises of the gambling hall distasteful. The sounds of dice being rolled. The sound of cards being dealt. The low murmurs of anticipation. The explosive screams of rage. The music being played badly by some performers in a corner. The general sounds of conversation and cups being banged together. All of these sound off with no apparent pattern or intervals, forming a cacophony of noise. It is a jumble of sound that offers no useful information to those not used to listening in places such as this.

Baron finds the rest of his coins still safe, but as eyes watch the pair's entrance into the hall, who knows how long that will stay true? There are many places to go here. Drinks (presumably potable) are being ordered at a bar. There are places at various tables for the unloucky customer to lose his earnings. There are a few tired-looking barely-dressed servant girls bringing out snacks to those who ordered them. Many uncouth-looking men and boys are here.