PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite song?

paladinlady
2010-07-18, 03:31 PM
This is a thread just to tell everyone your favourite song and/or band so they can enjoy it too.

Alabama 3 is a band I enjoy, one of thier songs named Wade into the water is my favourite.

arguskos
2010-07-18, 03:32 PM
1. Media Discussion is probably a better board for this.

2. I'm a large fan of Round and Round, by the Bodyrockers, at this specific moment. Not my favorite song ever (that's a specific recording of Rodeo Clowns, by Jack Johnson, Donovan Frankenreiter, and G Love), but quite good at the moment.

Athaniar
2010-07-18, 04:04 PM
Moskau, by Dschinghis Khan. There are many other songs I like, but Moskau is the indisputable champion.

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-18, 04:33 PM
I have too many. Love You Madly by Cake is my favorite at this time. The majority of songs by They Might Be Giants can be called favorites.

Xyk
2010-07-18, 05:07 PM
I am quite the fan of While My Guitar Gently Weeps by the Beatles. It's really between that one and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-18, 07:14 PM
Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk) and Regina Spektor's Hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgkiUCWbLYg) are my current favorites, but my taste in music often changes from week to week, and my I look upon my favorites with fickle attention.

comicshorse
2010-07-18, 07:19 PM
Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis

The Orange Zergling
2010-07-18, 07:24 PM
In terms of awesomeness, the Symphony of Science (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk) guy does some pretty epic stuff.

In terms of actual music by actual bands, Crimson King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8YokD9Top0) by Demons & Wizards was the song that first got me interested in music in the first place and to this day remains my favorite. :smallcool:

Ponderthought
2010-07-18, 08:07 PM
Im terribly fond of Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, lately, with the current favorite track being 50 Pieces. fiddle is a good thing.

valadil
2010-07-18, 08:15 PM
Blind Guardian - Time Stands Still (at the Iron Hill)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDR_ncgqwg

It's just perfect. Been loving this song for almost ten years and it still gives me goosebumps.

Marillion
2010-07-18, 08:28 PM
In terms of actual music by actual bands, Crimson King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8YokD9Top0) by Demons & Wizards was the song that first got me interested in music in the first place and to this day remains my favorite. :smallcool:
Outstanding. Tom Schaffer + Hansi Kursch=Awesomeness Incarnate. The song that did it for me, though, was Black Dragon by Luca Turilli, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8ryvO7mik) and I retain a soft spot in my heart to this day for that crazy Italian genius.

I've been listening to March of Mephisto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfp2r9WU3F4) by Kamelot pretty much non stop for the past week. The singer is as good a showman as he is a singer, and it's nice to see a man dressed up for a concert as opposed to performing in his pajamas (I'm looking at YOU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDkVeux5Zo) Tony Kakko:smallyuk:). I also like how the drummer almost looks like he's spazzing out:smalltongue:

But for all time favorite, I think I'd have to go with Art of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUhwNWzdIAc) by X Japan. A masterpiece of metal angst over a half hour long with a 7 minute piano solo in the middle that at the end is less "playing" and more "introduction to the fine art of pounding", it's not for everyone, but it never fails to get to me.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-18, 08:34 PM
At this moment I'm going with Anesthize by Porcupine Tree.

zeratul
2010-07-18, 08:34 PM
I have frequently been wont to say that "Nightfall" by Blind Guardian is my favourite song by my favourite band. It's a little less definitive now adays, but that's at least one of my favourites.

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-18, 08:52 PM
Hmmm... my current favorites... All My Loving (both the Across the Universe and the original Beatles version) has been pretty addicting to me, lately. If you'll notice those lyrics in my sig. :smalltongue:

I've been on a Beatles/Across the Universe kick, so Let it Be is another.

I'm Not Calling You A Liar by Florence and the Machine is another favorite.

I'm bad at picking just one favorite. >.<

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-18, 08:58 PM
Hmmm... my current favorites... All My Loving (both the Across the Universe and the original Beatles version) has been pretty addicting to me, lately. If you'll notice those lyrics in my sig. :smalltongue:

I've been on a Beatles/Across the Universe kick, so Let it Be is another.

I'm Not Calling You A Liar by Florence and the Machine is another favorite.

I'm bad at picking just one favorite. >.<

Hehe, I'd say Let it Be is definitely one of my favorite Beatles songs.
But I'm a fangirl and can't ever pick just one >>

The Extinguisher
2010-07-18, 09:10 PM
I can never really say what my favourite song is. I go through phases of music genres and bands, and it changes a lot based on my mood.

One song that never seems to leave my iPod, and I'm always happen to listen to it when it shuffles to it is "Non-Objective Portrait of Karma" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHSJYY7SWio) by Circle Takes the Square, but it's definitely not my favourite song.

tcrudisi
2010-07-18, 09:24 PM
This one's easy:

My favorite song is "I don't listen to music as it makes me want to kill people."

My favorite band is "I don't like bands because they play music and music makes me want to kill people."

Seriously, I don't like music. I realize how abnormal this is, as I've never met another person who genuinely wishes that music would just cease and never be played again. I can't stand how people play it and force me to listen to it. Yes, I can choose to walk away, and I often do. Yes, I carry around ear plugs when I go to many places.

The question I often get is thus, "Why do you not like music?" Many people tell me that music just seems to strike a chord into their hearts and souls to make them feel as though they are a part of the song or that it just makes them feel good. Well, I'm the exact opposite. Music hits my soul in such a way as to make me angry and instills a desire to break things. I'm a very non-violent individual so I have very, very rarely experienced these emotions outside of hearing music.

Here's the real kicker that will probably throw people for a loop: I am a tap dancer.

Marillion
2010-07-18, 09:26 PM

As far as the Beatles go, I'd have to say Act Naturally, with Maxwell's Silver Hammer a close second.

The Extinguisher
2010-07-18, 09:33 PM
This one's easy:

My favorite song is "I don't listen to music as it makes me want to kill people."

My favorite band is "I don't like bands because they play music and music makes me want to kill people."

Seriously, I don't like music. I realize how abnormal this is, as I've never met another person who genuinely wishes that music would just cease and never be played again. I can't stand how people play it and force me to listen to it. Yes, I can choose to walk away, and I often do. Yes, I carry around ear plugs when I go to many places.

The question I often get is thus, "Why do you not like music?" Many people tell me that music just seems to strike a chord into their hearts and souls to make them feel as though they are a part of the song or that it just makes them feel good. Well, I'm the exact opposite. Music hits my soul in such a way as to make me angry and instills a desire to break things. I'm a very non-violent individual so I have very, very rarely experienced these emotions outside of hearing music.

Here's the real kicker that will probably throw people for a loop: I am a tap dancer.

Then you clearly have no problem with music, because that tapping? That's pretty much music.

You just have a problem with certain kinds of music.

Trog
2010-07-18, 09:39 PM
I never have one favorite song, I just have whatever I am in the mood for that day. Sometimes I'll get stuck on a song or an artist for days or even weeks. I'm not in one of those periods at the moment so today's faves are: this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8UdpiF_T8) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQEfgtNYbr0).

Superglucose
2010-07-18, 09:46 PM
"Zomby Woof" on "Best Band you Never Heard in Your Life" by Frank Zappa.

It is the best song ever.

Following that, G-Spot Tornado, on Jazz from Hell, by Frank Zappa.

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-18, 10:00 PM

As far as the Beatles go, I'd have to say Act Naturally, with Maxwell's Silver Hammer a close second.
I'd have to say... every Beatles song I've ever heard is my favorite. It is very hard to pick a single favorite by them. :smalltongue:

But the ones I picked are two which I love greatly and I ABSOLUTELY love the Across the Universe versions of (Jim Sturgess has the voice of an angel). C: *isatheaterkid*

I'll admit, that's a pretty dumb criteria, but I'm not a purist about those Beatles covers because they're so pretty (when I'd normally be like, "Nooo! Not another Beatles cover! D:")

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-18, 10:08 PM
Certainly. Across the Universe is a gorgeous adaption of the Beatles music.
And I actually like one or two of the songs more than the actual Beatles >>

Dogmantra
2010-07-18, 10:10 PM
Doctor Worm by They Might Be Giants and Always the Moon by Jonathan Coulton.

The former is just... I don't know what it is. It's the silliness combined with the fact that it's TMBG, and it's not like they ever have a song without some sort of message. The latter is a very nice song, conjures up some nice images and gave me the idea for my NaNovel last year.

Electrolite by R.E.M., Trees Snap and Ice Cracks by Andrea Heins and The Majesty of Rock by Spinal Tap all come close though.

I tend to not just like the song, I like the story behind it. A song on its own is just things. A song with a story is... well more things.

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-18, 10:13 PM
And I actually like one or two of the songs more than the actual Beatles >>
PHEW! I thought I was the only one. :O

Samm
2010-07-18, 10:16 PM
I am quite the fan of While My Guitar Gently Weeps by the Beatles. It's really between that one and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

I really like both of those songs, especially the latter. Wish You Were Here was just brilliant.

In fact, I'd say it's my favourite song. A close second would be Coming Back to Life, by Pink Floyd, or maybe Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd again.

Pink Floyd is without a doubt, my favourite band though.

Syka
2010-07-18, 10:17 PM
Like Trog, I go through moods. Currently I'm on a Matt Nathanson binge, having just acquired two of his CD's.

Pretty the world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOoVXP4tpL4), Heartbreak World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqySguHobA), and Bulletproof Weeks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7r7xkG_bWQ&feature=related) are my current favorites. Still is the one that really made me fall in love, though. <3 I enjoy most of the songs, though. I was looking through and was going "Oh, Wedding Dress...and Car Crash and..." lol.

Edit: His stuff can be kind of depressed or melancholy. I'd say Pretty the World and Heartbreak World are actually two of his less depressing one. As is Still and Come On Get Higher.

Superglucose
2010-07-18, 10:21 PM
Doctor Worm by They Might Be Giants and Always the Moon by Jonathan Coulton.
Doctor Worm finds its way stuck in my head like most TMBG songs.

Also, I would like to go on record: I don't like the Beatles. They have very few songs that I actively enjoy more than just your average song.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-18, 10:23 PM
Also, I would like to go on record: I don't like the Beatles. They have very few songs that I actively enjoy more than just your average song.

I'm sorry, Supes. We can never, ever be friends :smalltongue:

Superglucose
2010-07-18, 10:24 PM
It's ok, you have terrible taste in music. No loss for me :smallwink:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-18, 10:26 PM
It's ok, you have terrible taste in music. No loss for me :smallwink:
Its impossible to have terrible taste in music when you like almost everything. :smalltongue:

Bacon Barbarian
2010-07-18, 10:27 PM
Only 1 favorite song? Come on ... >.>

Lets see: 21 Guns by Green Day, Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics, and the Long and Winding Road by the Beatles

ForzaFiori
2010-07-18, 10:29 PM
Oddly enough, my favorite song is NOT by my favorite band.

My favorite band, by far, is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The fact that they play in a genre dominated by so many people that sound so much alike, and manage to sound like nothing else, is amazing, and then you add to that the awesomeness that is Flea, and you have the most amazing thing ever.

My favorite song though, is One Day Too Late (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNEC735juI4) by Skillet. Though, like so many others, my favorite song changes ALL the time.

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-18, 10:32 PM
O_O

Have you watched Across the Universe? That might cure your illness. :smalltongue:

Superglucose
2010-07-18, 10:33 PM
Its impossible to have terrible taste in music when you like almost everything. :smalltongue:
That's the only reason I say I don't like the Beatles.

Truth is I don't mind the beatles, but I don't think they're great, or even above average. To me they are quite literally just another band, and while they did what they did first, they didn't necessariliy do it best.

The bands I like, I like because they do something different. Songs I go out of my way to listen to only have to have one or two exceptional qualities, which can be as simple as the line "Yes but what a shame the poor groom's bride is a whore" from that Panic! song or the entirity of the song "Eleanor Rigby"'s harmonies.

Or you can end up with something like the album Thing Fish or the song Zomby Woof that can render me catatonic and waking up with a neckache from my headbanging.

@Em, that movie came out when I was your age (hee hee), and a girl who was, at that point, your age wanted to take me to see it with her.

I declined, and there you have it XD

Bacon Barbarian
2010-07-18, 10:44 PM

Truth is I don't mind the beatles, but I don't think they're great, or even above average. To me they are quite literally just another band, and while they did what they did first, they didn't necessariliy do it best.

The bands I like, I like because they do something different. Songs I go out of my way to listen to only have to have one or two exceptional qualities, which can be as simple as the line "Yes but what a shame the poor groom's bride is a whore" from that Panic! song or the entirity of the song "Eleanor Rigby"'s harmonies.

Or you can end up with something like the album Thing Fish or the song Zomby Woof that can render me catatonic and waking up with a neckache from my headbanging.

@Em, that movie came out when I was your age (hee hee), and a girl who was, at that point, your age wanted to take me to see it with her.

Kill the heathen

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-18, 10:45 PM

The bands I like, I like because they do something different.
Hmm, yeah. I see your point. I kinda like everything, myself. As long as it's catchy/fun/whatever. But The Beatles do strike a "catchy" (possibly nostalgic) chord with me, so I guess I just like them for my reasons. *shrug*

"Yes but what a shame the poor groom's bride is a whore" from that Panic!
I love that song for that line, and that line alone. And I'm a Panic fan.

Ooh. I saw it when I was like thirteen because my friends rented it and I love it. Anyway... there YOU have THAT. :smalltongue:

Superglucose
2010-07-18, 10:49 PM
Hmm, yeah. I see your point. I kinda like everything, myself. As long as it's catchy/fun/whatever. But The Beatles do strike a "catchy" (possibly nostalgic) chord with me, so I guess I just like them for my reasons. *shrug*
Yeah, I'll never say they were bad, because that would be lying. I just can't say "I like the Beatles" because I don't. I like some of their songs (and some of McCartney' when he left, you know, Live and Let Die?) but I just can't say that I like them.

I love that song for that line, and that line alone. And I'm a Panic fan.
You and I, we are kindred spirits.

Ooh. I saw it when I was like thirteen because my friends rented it and I love it. Anyway... there YOU have THAT. :smalltongue:
XD

To be honest the only reason I told the story was so I could have the opportunity to say "When I was your age" :smallbiggrin:

valadil
2010-07-18, 10:57 PM
The question I often get is thus, "Why do you not like music?" Many people tell me that music just seems to strike a chord into their hearts and souls to make them feel as though they are a part of the song or that it just makes them feel good. Well, I'm the exact opposite. Music hits my soul in such a way as to make me angry and instills a desire to break things.

Have you encountered any music you liked or at least found palatable?

Have you ever tried to enjoy the anger? What I love about music is the emotional ride it gives me. I have songs that help me feel any emotion I can think of. Sometimes feeling angry just feels right.

Me too on both counts. I'd probably like the Beatles had I been born when they were new. But everything is derived from them, so the Beatles sound bland and tame to me. Kinda like Richard Pryor. I know he's awesome and innovative. He took standup comedy in a whole new direction. But 30 years after he pointed in that direction, a lot of progress has been made there and he sounds unremarkable by comparison. That's where the Beatles are for me.

Syka
2010-07-18, 10:59 PM
Supes, don't feel bad. Whenever someone asks me "Beatles or Stones?" I say neither. It's not that I dislike them, it's more I just don't actively like them. I respect them as artists and for what they did for music, but it's just not my thing.

...yeah, I've almost been stoned for that.

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-18, 11:01 PM
You and I, we are kindred spirits.
XD
To be honest the only reason I told the story was so I could have the opportunity to say "When I was your age" :smallbiggrin:
We ARE kindred spirits, because I just replied to that so I could say, "There YOU have THAT." xD

Ponderthought
2010-07-18, 11:13 PM
I just heard a nother, Top Drawer by man man. please tell me someone else has heard of them. I just get blank stare when I talk abut them with my friends.

And as for the Beatles... A Day in the Life. But im really a stones kind of guy.

Superglucose
2010-07-18, 11:14 PM
Awwww... crap. That's no good :smallwink:

Strawberries
2010-07-19, 12:10 AM
Shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd, has been my favourite song since I first listened to it, 13 years ago. I like both the "Wish you were here" version and the shorthest one in "Echoes". Yes, it's a 17 - 25 minutes song. I don't care, it is awesome.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-07-19, 12:14 AM
My favorite song, I think, would have to be And Then There Was Silence, by Blind Guardian. A 14+ minute song with epic choirs and stuff all about The Trojan War, one of my all-time favorite stories? Hell...freakin'...YEAH!

Lord Raziere
2010-07-19, 12:16 AM
I'm shipping up to Boston.

zeratul
2010-07-19, 12:18 AM
I would like to point out that in one day there are already 4 songs people have listed involving Hansi Kursch. All in favor of declaring Hansi the best singer in the history of ever say Aye. :smalltongue:

Ponderthought
2010-07-19, 12:19 AM
Shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd, has been my favourite song since I first listened to it, 13 years ago. I like both the "Wish you were here" version and the shorthest one in "Echoes". Yes, it's a 17 - 25 minutes song. I don't care, it is awesome.

Echoes is goddamn fantastic. You get one free internet.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 12:43 AM
A Man's gotta do... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6DOeQRQpI)

tcrudisi
2010-07-19, 07:31 AM
Then you clearly have no problem with music, because that tapping? That's pretty much music.

You just have a problem with certain kinds of music.

You aren't the first person to tell me that. I think it's a difference in what I expect from it. When I hear someone tap dancing, I listen to it to determine how difficult what they are doing is. A couple of weeks ago, I was passing by a tap studio in Luxembourg when I heard the sounds of tap dancing coming from a nearby building. I immediately started replicating what they were doing to make the sounds to determine if it was difficult. It's not that I enjoyed listening, per se, but tap dancing was always about the challenge, I think. When it was no longer a challenge, I left.

Have you encountered any music you liked or at least found palatable?

Have you ever tried to enjoy the anger? What I love about music is the emotional ride it gives me. I have songs that help me feel any emotion I can think of. Sometimes feeling angry just feels right.

Hmm... kind of. When I was young, I used to listen to 60's music. But as I got older, even that no longer did anything for me. Now songs just range from "run away as fast as possible" (What's Going On by 4 non blondes, Spirit in the Sky, a few others, and anything sang by someone also playing a guitar, especially in a public place) to "this isn't bad, but I would never listen to it of my own volition" (some Sublime, Toby Keith, and really random 60's songs).

I always try to be a happy person. If you see me and I'm not smiling and having a good time then I must be writhing in pain from being hit by a car. Do you know those people who are always really happy and you just want to piss them off to bring them down? Yeah, I'm one of those people so I don't ever want to be angry.

However, when driving, I do turn on the radio to listen to advertisements as background noise when I get bored. I'll keep turning the radio until I find some ads to listen to. People love (sarcasm alert!) riding in a car with me when I'm driving.

Hahaha. Well played, Dr. Epic. You literally made me lol since I've always thought your profile stick figure looked like Dr. Horrible.

Dogmantra
2010-07-19, 08:14 AM

You good sir, are twice my equal. I think the reason the Beatles (and Queen for that matter) are so popular isn't necessarily because of the music, but more because of how and when they did it and while that's great, I just can't get behind those particular instances.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-07-19, 08:45 AM
My favourite song is probably 'The Obsidian Crown Unbound' by Bal-Sagoth.

Supes, don't feel bad. Whenever someone asks me "Beatles or Stones?" I say neither. It's not that I dislike them, it's more I just don't actively like them. I respect them as artists and for what they did for music, but it's just not my thing.

...yeah, I've almost been stoned for that.

No-one in this thread is anywhere near as militant as I in my musical assaults. The reason why I listen almost solely to metal is probably just because I identify so easily with the '****-you' attitude it often packs ...

Seriously, I hate the Beatles and the Stones and Queen and most bands mentioned in this thread and most bands ever.

But these bands shouldn't feel bad - after all, I'm just a spiteful little internet demon.

valadil
2010-07-19, 10:33 AM
I would like to point out that in one day there are already 4 songs people have listed involving Hansi Kursch. All in favor of declaring Hansi the best singer in the history of ever say Aye. :smalltongue:

Aye!

I was expecting a little bit of BG love here, but this is way beyond my expectations.

I always try to be a happy person. If you see me and I'm not smiling and having a good time then I must be writhing in pain from being hit by a car. Do you know those people who are always really happy and you just want to piss them off to bring them down? Yeah, I'm one of those people so I don't ever want to be angry.

Makes sense. My methods are different. I try to embrace whatever it is I'm feeling. If I'm pissed off, I need an angry song. Just burn off that frustration in 3-5 minutes of listening. Otherwise I stay pissed off all day, because that anger never gets fulfilled. This works with happier, positive emotions too, I'm just sticking with anger for example's sake.

Superglucose
2010-07-19, 10:54 AM
Some of my favorite songs are FZ just flailing on his guitar for 10-ish minutes. No shame in longer songs :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: By the way, the whole Thing Fish album can be found on Youtube. Be advised that they are extremely explicit lyrics, and the way they talk about homosexuality, transgenderism, and the feminist movement are probably going to be extremely shocking and offensive to you if you don't have a thick skin and/or can't realize that it's a satire.

That being said, I find myself in stitches each time I listen to it (except the Rhonda character's voice makes my ears bleed).

(And if you's already ugly, it'll make yo ass mean an' ugly.)

ZombieRockStar
2010-07-19, 10:56 AM
Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk)

Rabbit, I love you. On that note, that Jason Derulo guy can suck it for his terrible sampling of the above. Otherwise, it's nice to hear autotune being used for artistic purposes rather than to make a mediocre singer sound better.

My favourite song seems to change weekly. But for the moment I can't seem to stop listening to these two. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM) The only problem is that I cant seem to find more stuff by this girl! I would so buy her album if I could find it! Does anyone know who this person is and where I can find more? :smalltongue:

I am, of course, kidding. Yeah, I know who that is. It...perplexes me.

For "all time," though? That's tough, 'cause I enjoy too many types of music to narrow it down. Hmm..."The Lark Ascending," maybe, 'cause I love Vaughn Williams's style. As for pop music...nah, too tough. Maybe "Hallelujah."

What? I have to pick a specific version? Aaaaaaaugh!!!

Moff Chumley
2010-07-19, 12:19 PM
"Zomby Woof" on "Best Band you Never Heard in Your Life" by Frank Zappa.

It is the best song ever.

Following that, G-Spot Tornado, on Jazz from Hell, by Frank Zappa.

YES

/thread

Anyhow, my NEW favorite song is Born Under Punches by Talking Heads.

Bacon Barbarian
2010-07-19, 12:25 PM
Seriously people, how can you only have 1 favorite song?

Dogmantra
2010-07-19, 01:23 PM
Seriously people, how can you only have 1 favorite song?

By liking a single song more than any other song?

Asta Kask
2010-07-19, 03:05 PM
4' 33" by John Cage

Octopus Jack
2010-07-19, 03:22 PM
I like quite a wide range of music, most of whats been mentioned here has a place somewhere in my taste however at the moment my favorite song is too Fake by Hockey

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-19, 03:25 PM
Rabbit, I love you. On that note, that Jason Derulo guy can suck it for his terrible sampling of the above. Otherwise, it's nice to hear autotune being used for artistic purposes rather than to make a mediocre singer sound better.

My favourite song seems to change weekly. But for the moment I can't seem to stop listening to these two. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM) The only problem is that I cant seem to find more stuff by this girl! I would so buy her album if I could find it! Does anyone know who this person is and where I can find more? :smalltongue:

I am, of course, kidding. Yeah, I know who that is. It...perplexes me.

For "all time," though? That's tough, 'cause I enjoy too many types of music to narrow it down. Hmm..."The Lark Ascending," maybe, 'cause I love Vaughn Williams's style. As for pop music...nah, too tough. Maybe "Hallelujah."

What? I have to pick a specific version? Aaaaaaaugh!!!

If you're not being sarcastic about Lady Gaga, I love you, too o.o
She's one of the few pop singers around who can bustle up into my favorites and bump elbows with The Cure and David Bowie and The Doors.

Raistlin1040
2010-07-19, 06:02 PM
I think Lady Gaga should do a music video where she builds a time machine, goes back to 1972, and "bumps elbows" with David Bowie.

That is my contribution to this thread, since it was painful for me to make a list of my top 50 bands. Trying to pick a favorite song from each of thsoe bands would be near impossible, and picking a favorite song in general would BE impossible.

Ponderthought
2010-07-19, 07:28 PM
I think Lady Gaga should do a music video where she builds a time machine, goes back to 1972, and "bumps elbows" with David Bowie.

The image will haunt me until the end of my days.

Todays favorite is..Exogenesis, the last three tracks off Muse's new album.

arguskos
2010-07-19, 07:42 PM
Current tracks of relevance:
-Bust A Move (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4FXhkm6Nw), by Young MC. This man is akin to a god. :smallbiggrin:
-All I Want (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZ-jLCgXns), by Jehro. Gloriously melodic and endlessly listenable.
-Pa' Bailar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riuF_Ur3unc), by Bajafondo. A Brazilian (IIRC) dance track that's just excellent. I never tire of this song. Debatably NSFW video, depending on the workplace's rules about such.

Trog
2010-07-19, 09:49 PM
Today?

This. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hdFyaVuY4)

PIMPS! TURN IT UP!! :smallfurious:

Ponderthought
2010-07-19, 11:42 PM
The Black Rider. The entire album. Id sure as hell sell my soul for magic bullets if it resulted in a concept album this cool.

SDF
2010-07-19, 11:57 PM
Goodbye Sky Harbor by Jimmy Eat World (http://www.myspace.com/jimmyeatworld/music/albums/clarity-9645781)

(Click the track if ya want to listen, it isn't on youtube due to it's length)

Before Jimmy Eat World became famous with their Bleed American album they were a little known alt rock band from Arizona. The last track on their Clarity album is a long track that comes in with a crescendo of distortion and over the course of sixteen minutes reverse engineers itself to an 8 part A Capella and sweet guitar riffs. All the lyrics to the song are from the book A Prayer for Owen Meany, later adapted to the less amazing film Simon Birch. It paints a vivid image of looking down at the Sky Harbor airport in Arizona as it slowly shrinks in the distance.

Jimmy Eat World isn't my favorite band. In my opinion they have a very varied discography, but this song is a musical accomplishment fusing styles and genres into one epic and melancholy piece.

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-20, 12:17 AM
Yes! xD

I like Lady Gaga well enough. She's not a boring "same-as-everyone-else" pop star, in both appearance and musical style. So, she stands out to me.
Whenever I play Bad Romance, I get so into the song, I forget that it's supposed to end. >.>

I just remembered Measuring Cups by Andrew Bird. That's one of my favorite songs. I should stop listing those now. :smalltongue:

SDF
2010-07-20, 12:31 AM
Lady Gaga actually seems like a smart, intelligent, and cool person. But, other than a few songs I don't find her brand of pop music to be something I'd like to listen to a lot.

Andrew Bird is especially good live. His stage setup made me squee.

Superglucose
2010-07-20, 01:15 AM
Jethro Tull has a lot of amazing stuff too.

I particularly appreciate "Life's a long song" and "Too old to rock 'n' roll, too young to die."

Ponderthought
2010-07-20, 01:57 AM
Tull is amazing. I love 'locomotive breath"

Em Blackleaf
2010-07-20, 03:52 AM
Andrew Bird is especially good live. His stage setup made me squee.
Yeah? He does strike me as the kind of artist who would make each performance unique and give them quality. I'd love to see him live.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-07-20, 04:51 AM
ATB - Let You Go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9L802jY7c&feature=related).

A close second: Sash! ft. Stunt - Raindrops (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhs2dxZorfw&playnext_from=TL&videos=6ACe7IkWiHU).

Warning: don't look at them if you're a fan of death metal. Happy trance tunes will make you want to... hm, probably do the opposite of killing yourself.

Ponderthought
2010-07-20, 12:29 PM
Today is a day for more Tom Waits, specifically Rain Dogs.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-20, 12:39 PM
4' 33" by John Cage

I C WUT U DID THAR :smalltongue:

Today, I'm going to go with either Burn Rubber by The Gap Band or 15 Step by Radiohead.

Coplantor
2010-07-20, 12:39 PM
I dont think I have a favourite song. When asked, I ussually say that Free Bird, Bohemian Rhapsody and Stairway to Heaven are so awesome that I would hardly get tired of them, but those are quite clichéd right?:smalltongue:

During my greatest Lol I so MUcH FanBoI moment, Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls was my favourite.

Today? I find myself singing Come Together by the Beatles and Amazing by Aerosmith quite often. I am a one man show while taking a shower :smalltongue:

ZombieRockStar
2010-07-20, 03:12 PM
If you're not being sarcastic about Lady Gaga, I love you, too o.o
She's one of the few pop singers around who can bustle up into my favorites and bump elbows with The Cure and David Bowie and The Doors.

Well...I certainly wasn't lying about loving those two songs, especially "Electric Kiss," the second one. Even her radio stuff I'm quite happy to file under "guilty pleasures" (of which I have a lot >_>). I was more expressing my shock and amazement that someone could write those, then go on to write "Poker Face," and then turn around and make "Poker Face" sound like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUYvWTd6oA)

I mean...that woman has such a voice. Why doesn't she use it more often?

Do you think she'd let the rest of us use it when she's done? :smalltongue:

Castaras
2010-07-20, 03:18 PM
I don't have one favourite song. It changes depending on mood.

Currently, for me, it's either Ghost Love Score or FantasMic by Nightwish. Been kinda hooked to them recently for some reason. O.o

Raistlin1040
2010-07-21, 01:16 PM
Do you think she'd let the rest of us use it when she's done? :smalltongue:
Dear gawd I hope so.

Vaynor
2010-07-21, 01:29 PM
Currently? This Year by The Mountain Goats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYCzDhaRV60).

The Extinguisher
2010-07-21, 01:57 PM
Well...I certainly wasn't lying about loving those two songs, especially "Electric Kiss," the second one. Even her radio stuff I'm quite happy to file under "guilty pleasures" (of which I have a lot >_>). I was more expressing my shock and amazement that someone could write those, then go on to write "Poker Face," and then turn around and make "Poker Face" sound like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CUYvWTd6oA)

I mean...that woman has such a voice. Why doesn't she use it more often?

Holy crap. I've never heard that before. I know someone who would love that. Thanks for the link. Wow.

Yrcrazypa
2010-07-21, 02:59 PM
Favorite song? Probably Fire On High by Electric Light Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Ufx7SmZ5E). But Queen is still, by FAR, my favorite band.

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-07-21, 11:13 PM
Glitter Freeze or Rhinestone Eyes by the Gorillaz

X2
2010-07-21, 11:15 PM
Mr Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan.

And everyone else is wrong.

Oooooooh...! :smalltongue:

EDIT: I decided that providing only one is cruel and unusual. So here's some more cantidates. (one per artist)

One - Metallica
Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles
Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
War Pigs - Black Sabbath
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Spanish Bombs - The Clash
World of Pain - Cream
Life On Mars? - David Bowie
Holy Diver - Dio
Light My Fire - The Doors
The Last Resort - The Eagles
Eldorado - Electric Light Orchestra
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
Starship - MC5
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Purple Rain - Prince
Eruption - Van Halen
Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Handle With Care - The Travelling Wilburys
The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks
Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds

Kumo
2010-07-21, 11:27 PM
'Ticks' by Brad Paisley.

raitalin
2010-07-22, 03:28 AM
Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic) is pretty much the perfect song. Just too short, so I have to listen to it three times.

Coplantor
2010-07-22, 08:00 AM
Lot's of awesome songs

Sir, you have an excellent taste in music.

Kansas FTW!

X2
2010-07-22, 08:01 AM
Sir, you have an excellent taste in music.

Kansas FTW!

Why thank you.

...there'll be peace when you are done...

thompur
2010-07-22, 09:57 AM
4' 33" by John Cage

Awesome! Have you heard the accoustic version?

Coplantor
2010-07-22, 10:00 AM
Awesome! Have you heard the accoustic version?

I think I made such an effort not to laugh that I might have hurt myself

Moff Chumley
2010-07-22, 01:05 PM
Glitter Freeze or Rhinestone Eyes by the Gorillaz

I? Love you.