PDA

View Full Version : Underdark Druid or My Animal Companion Keeps Running Into Walls

aivanther
2010-07-18, 05:11 PM
So, I'm playing a druid in the underdark. I'm level 5, but trying to do arcane hierophant (for fun, I know it's not optimal) so I'm druid 4/wiz 1 atm. However, natural bond gives me EComapionL of 5. Question is, is there an alternative list of animal companions for underdark adventures? The best I can find is a dire bat, but it only has blindsense. Is there a better alternative for me?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-18, 05:38 PM
if you wanna blow 2 feats on it your can get a monstrous spider. . .

Vermin Trainer
Spider Companion

aivanther
2010-07-18, 06:52 PM
Yeah...no...not if I can help it.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-18, 07:18 PM
Didn't think so, in that case your down to dire bat. . .

IF you have access to Dragon Magazine and IF you think you can talk your DM into an alternate Animal companion rather than the usual animal companion list. . . you might be able to get one of the underdark animals listed on page 86 of Dragon magazine 345

the Dekayi
or Taga'Rivvin
or Jagendar
might be suitable
They have listed equivalents of Wolverine, Wolf, and Boar. in that order.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-18, 07:21 PM
Any druid can take a Watch Spider from WaterDeep: City of Splendors.

aivanther
2010-07-18, 08:25 PM
Any druid can take a Watch Spider from WaterDeep: City of Splendors.

Watchspider is a magical beast, I didn't think those were allowed as animal companions.

@ShadowGrnEyes: Is that issue in the archives?

Eldariel
2010-07-19, 03:38 AM
This Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a) has some Vermin ACs that would work fine in Underdark.

faceroll
2010-07-19, 03:55 AM
Use a torch?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-07-19, 04:38 AM
You should be casting Luminous Armor on yourself and sharing it with your pet anyway.

Once you hit Arcane Heirophant 1 your companion will become a Magical Beast, which means it will have both Darkvision and Low-Light Vision.

aivanther
2010-07-19, 08:13 AM
Use a torch?

I could also get a giant neon sign that says "Here I am!"

Thanks for the vermin link, i'll look at that.

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-19, 10:46 AM
Watchspider is a magical beast, I didn't think those were allowed as animal companions.

The text says they can (and that a wizard can take one as a familiar too). It goes on the -3 list of drood pets.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-19, 11:28 AM

no idea what archives your talking about. . . i just happen to have a copy of it.

aivanther
2010-07-19, 12:53 PM
The text says they can (and that a wizard can take one as a familiar too). It goes on the -3 list of drood pets.

Wow, missed that. I might take that then.

no idea what archives your talking about. . . i just happen to have a copy of it.

WotC has some dragon magazines archived on their website, so was hoping you were talking about one of those and I just missed it.