PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Where to take my Rogue?

RMS Oceanic
2010-07-18, 06:17 PM
I just started a new game (all level 1) with the following guys:

Human Fighter (Greatsword)
Human Swashbuckler (Rapier)
Human Dread Necromancer

And I am as follows

Human Rogue
STR 10
DEX 18
CON 13
INT 15
WIS 8
CHA 13

Feats
Craven (-2 to saves against fear, +1 sneak attack damage per character level)
Two-Weapon Fighting (Double Short Swords, basically)

Skills (All maxed out)

Sense Motive
Bluff
Diplomacy
Use Magic Device
Perception (Houseruled amalgamation of Spot and Listen)
Search
Climb
Tumble
Sleight of Hand
Hide
Move Silently

Any ideas on where to take him? I'm thinking of picking up three levels of Swashbuckler and going the Daring Outlaw approach for extra AC and stuff, but are there any prestige classes I should look out for?

Also, since we've only played one game, my brother will usually allow us to tweak our characters a bit in terms of equipment and skill selection, so if I should swap anything, let me know.

PId6
2010-07-18, 06:30 PM
Your group looks sorely in need of some casters (DN is good, but doesn't provide much utility). I'd suggest Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10 so that you can be a rogue and still provide utility casting. The group already has two melee characters, so someone to cast utility spells and snipe from range would be a good idea.

See handbook (link in sig) for other suggestions.

urbanpirate
2010-07-18, 08:15 PM
if your abilities are not set in stone it might be a good idea to swap either cha or con for wis. better for most skills and allows a ninja dip for monkike bonus to ac. or depending on alignment monk for a 1 level dip could be good.

Glimbur
2010-07-18, 08:22 PM
Rogue 20 gets you to the tasty rogue special abilities more quickly. Swashbuckler is ok, but not awesome. Assassin is interesting because of hide in plain sight and spellcasting, Death Attack is not as cool as it looks. Shadowdancer also gives hide in plain sight but requires bad feats.

Eloel
2010-07-18, 10:20 PM
Rogue 20 gets you to the tasty rogue special abilities more quickly. Swashbuckler is ok, but not awesome. Assassin is interesting because of hide in plain sight and spellcasting, Death Attack is not as cool as it looks. Shadowdancer also gives hide in plain sight but requires bad feats.

Actually, Rogue 19 gets you the interesting rogue abilities. Rogue 20 gets... Nothing.

I'm a fan of a few levels of warlock. Nets you at-will RTA (you can SA with EB in 30 ft), take 10 in UMD, and, with enough of a dip, magical darkness & the ability to see in it. You get concealment = you can SA in there. Also, grabbing flight while at it is quite doable.

Prodan
2010-07-18, 10:22 PM
If you take the feat Supernatural Tranformation, your EB becomes an (Su) ability, so it bypasses SR.

gorfnab
2010-07-19, 09:15 AM
Since you already have TWF and your group is lacking some casting support maybe something along the lines of Rogue 1/ Wizard 5/ Daggerspell Mage 10/ Unseen Seer 4 (though not necessarily in that order since you would want to pick up Hunter's Eye as soon as possible).

kestrel404
2010-07-19, 10:00 AM
Your group looks sorely in need of some casters (DN is good, but doesn't provide much utility). I'd suggest Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10 so that you can be a rogue and still provide utility casting. The group already has two melee characters, so someone to cast utility spells and snipe from range would be a good idea.

See handbook (link in sig) for other suggestions.

I second this build, with some modifications. A personal favorite of mine happens to be:
Rogue 1/Wizard 1/Human Paragon 3/Unseen Seer X/Arcane Trickster Y/Spallwarp Sniper Z
If your DM will let you, swap your Dex with your Int, and trade two-weapon fighting for Able Learner (best feat ever for a skillmonkey, must be taken at 1st level).

You lose spellcasting levels for Rogue 1 and Human paragon 1, but you get a LOT of skill points, with able learner and human paragon you can effectively have every skill as a class skill (since wizard gives you all knowledge skills, rogue gives you a lot of others, and human paragon lets you choose what's left), you get +2 to any stat (int by preference, dex if you think you need it), and you'll wind up with a decent sneak attack you can use off of spells.

Since you're losing 2 levels of spellcasting, you won't be taking the role of 'primary spellcaster' away from the other player, but you can still do a lot to buff the party/act as utility mage, and your skills will make you even better out of combat. In combat, you'll be far from useless as well, since Unseen seer, arcane trickster, and spellwarp sniper all give you extra sneak attack.

As for the levels you want, I'd go with only two to four level of unseen seer, probably five in spellwarp sniper, and the rest in arcane trickster. Take Practiced spellcaster for extra spell power (probably with the human paragon bonus feat).

Hope that helps.

Person_Man
2010-07-19, 10:59 AM
If you take the Able Learner feat instead of Craven (which you shouldn't be taking until ECL 6ish anyway), then you can leave Rogue after 1 or 2 levels and head into Binder or Incarnate. Either will let you buff your Skills massively. Binder also gives you a host of utility options (such as all day Invisibility or Disguise Self) and Save or Lose abilities. Incarnate would give you tons of defensive options, such as DR 4/magic and 2d6 retributive damage.