PDA

View Full Version : UM build idea:

Os1ris09
2010-07-18, 06:24 PM
So I know there was a previous thread on the UM idea and I contributed to it, I was just wondering if this build is legal AND where I would be required to put the "lower level class" thing.

Illumian
Beguiler 1/Wizard 3/Spell-thief 1/Ultimate Magus 10/Archmage 5

Feats:
Master Spell-Thief and Able Learner (rest are for flavor)

Would I have to put any into Spell-Thief even though it doesn't grant any casting at lvl 1?

gallagher
2010-07-18, 06:55 PM
So I know there was a previous thread on the UM idea and I contributed to it, I was just wondering if this build is legal AND where I would be required to put the "lower level class" thing.

Illumian
Beguiler 1/Wizard 3/Spell-thief 1/Ultimate Magus 10/Archmage 5

Feats:
Master Spell-Thief and Able Learner (rest are for flavor)

Would I have to put any into Spell-Thief even though it doesn't grant any casting at lvl 1?

spellthief doesnt care about its own spells, since you shouldnt really take more than two levels in it. you take the second so you can steal buffs. i dont know if you want to sacrifice anything from any of the other classes, but otherwise this looks quite good as a build

EDIT: also, if you want to get a little more out of spellthief, the most practical way is a wizard/spellthief/unseen seer. depending on how much you feel you can take away from the other prestige classes, it will give you more sneak attack and full casting

Os1ris09
2010-07-18, 07:17 PM
But for the UM progression would I have to spend any of those levels on Spell-thief?

gallagher
2010-07-18, 07:37 PM
your levels of beguiler should cover that

Os1ris09
2010-07-18, 08:37 PM
Ok sweet. I forgot it was lowest caster level not actual class levels. :smalltongue:

Here is something that I can't find though.

I love a necromancer on the wizard side of a wizard 3 / dread necromancer 1 / spellthief 1 / UM 10 / Archmage 5 / +X

You can now finaly pay for that painful cost of Fell Animate. Free undead on the fly! Felldrain magic misile on the go. Fell weaken ray of enfeblement.

Best thing is the fact that your caster level is even for all casting classes, so you can apply those increases hovever you wish.

You end up with Wizard 18, sorrcerer 8, and spellthief 1.
This is a caster level of 27 in three classes. Thats 27 X 4 X 3 hd of undead you can control. Thats a silly 324 HD of undead!

Use archmage to make the most powerful undead creation spell a spelllike to avoid the cost.

That build was recommended by Fouredged Sword and I can't seem to understand what he means by fell animate? Is there something I am missing?

Private-Prinny
2010-07-18, 08:45 PM
Ok sweet. I forgot it was lowest caster level not actual class levels. :smalltongue:

Here is something that I can't find though.

That build was recommended by Fouredged Sword and I can't seem to understand what he means by fell animate? Is there something I am missing?

Fell Animate is a metamagic feat from Libris Mortis. It has a +3 slot adjustment, which UM can mitigate, and enemies killed by a Fell Animate spell rise as zombies on your next turn.

Os1ris09
2010-07-18, 11:03 PM
Thought it was a feat. I just wanted to make sure. :smallsmile:

gorfnab
2010-07-19, 11:01 AM
EDIT: also, if you want to get a little more out of spellthief, the most practical way is a wizard/spellthief/unseen seer. depending on how much you feel you can take away from the other prestige classes, it will give you more sneak attack and full casting
Hunters Eye + Craven is very nice in a build like this. Actually I'm currently playing this in a campaign (Beguiler 1/ Wiz 1/ Spellthief 1/ Wiz 2/ Unseen Seer 2/ UM 10/ US 3)