PDA

View Full Version : A thread for commiserating about the weather.

Ponderthought
2010-07-18, 11:19 PM
Good god its hot in Texas.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-18, 11:27 PM

Hot as hell here in Oklahoma, just a little bit above you. 101 f.
Thankfully, I was inside all day.

Ponderthought
2010-07-18, 11:33 PM
I avoided outside as much as possible. Had to fire up the weed eater earlier and a swear I smelled burning skin when i came back inside. People shouldn't live here, its unfit for habitation. Especially for people descended from goddamn white as a sheet germans.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-18, 11:38 PM
It actually hasn't quite gotten as hot as usual here. Typically were at around 100 for the last bit of July, but I'm pretty sure were only at around 90. Combine that with the lack of humidity for the most part (although it did rain today, which cooled it down but made it muggy) and it's really not that bad.

Inside my house, however, it is FREEZING!!

wxdruid
2010-07-18, 11:39 PM
I sleep all day and work all night forecasting the weather. And I certainly agree that it's hot out. The high temp today was 31C/88F and far to much humidity in the air, which gives it a Heat Index of 38C/100F. Good thing I was asleep for most of it. I dislike heat combined with a high relative humidity.

Lycan 01
2010-07-18, 11:40 PM
Scattered storms for the last week have made the temperature rather tolerable, though the humidity is irksome. Yay for muggy Mississippi weather. :smallannoyed:

Syka
2010-07-18, 11:47 PM
Last week was horrendous here (feels like temperatures in the 100's F). This week has been much nicer, and shockingly dry for this time of the year. I hate the heat, but I'm not going to complain since it's gone mild.

Ponderthought
2010-07-18, 11:47 PM
Ive been to Mississippi. its pretty nice.

I have no idea what the temperature was today. After a certain point, we all stop talking about it, and give way to the despair of sticking to the leather furniture.

Xyk
2010-07-19, 12:37 AM

Inorite?! I live in Austin. Actually this year has been surprisingly cool. Ordinarily, it's like 107 F by now.

littlebottom
2010-07-19, 12:41 AM
i think my body would physically start to melt if i experienced tempretures that high. so in a way, im glad that a "warm day" is only about 18 degrees centegrade over in england. every thing above that tends to get labeled as hot.

for example recently we have had tempreture pushing 30 degrees, and everyone is dying from the heat. were just not used to it :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 12:51 AM

Texas? I could never live there. The constant threat of tornadoes would drive me insane.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-19, 02:25 AM
Apparently there's a bad storm headed my way. I live in an otherwise unremarkable town near Baltimore and Washington, DC. But for some reason, the news reported on a storm that's going to hit the town where I live instead of reporting that it will hit either Balto or DC.

IonDragon
2010-07-19, 02:34 AM
I was looking for this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktAKHww9wPo&feature=related) saying "It's hot!" but appearance, it's never hot where he is.:smallannoyed: Lucky him. I'm in California, and my car said it was 103 today. Therefore, I went to the lake and got a sun burn because my back is OMGWHITE and may have caused a plane crash O.O

Lioness
2010-07-19, 03:44 AM
It's cold, and raining.

*borrows hot*

Cobalt
2010-07-19, 04:13 AM
I was wishing for Spring when it was cold and then started complaining about the heat the instant it arrived. Now Summer's here, and my cryogenic freezing lab is down for repairs. Bah.

At least when it was cold I could warm up by running. But that strategy doesn't work when it's already hot. Oh no... It goes horribly horribly wrong.

Spiryt
2010-07-19, 04:15 AM
Recently it was almost 38/100 here.... And with a lot of scorching sun...

Now it's around 17/65, and I'm pretty delighted, so is my poor dog, who was lying flat all day.

If it could just stay that way.:smallfrown:

Innis Cabal
2010-07-19, 04:18 AM
Apparently there's a bad storm headed my way. I live in an otherwise unremarkable town near Baltimore and Washington, DC. But for some reason, the news reported on a storm that's going to hit the town where I live instead of reporting that it will hit either Balto or DC.

Your location now makes sense to me. Finally. I used to live 10 minutes out from D.C on the Virgina side.

Here in the mountains, its nice and dry, with the constant daily storm dropping temps to around 78 degree's, the muggyness leaving us rather swiftly.

Form
2010-07-19, 04:22 AM
Complaining about the wheather again? Alrighty, I'll join. :smallwink:

It's still a bit too warm for my tastes, but temperatures have dropped considerably over here. I was actually able to get a good night of sleep the last few days.

It's cold, and raining.

*borrows hot*

My hot for your cold? Deal.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-19, 04:29 AM
Your location now makes sense to me. Finally. I used to live 10 minutes out from D.C on the Virgina side.Huh, I always thought it was pretty obvious, especially to the locals. I confess that I stole it from a comedian, though. But I can't remember which one.

Innis Cabal
2010-07-19, 04:30 AM
Being a mid-western and now South Western boy, I can honestly say I've never heard that term before in my entire life. You east coasters... :smalltongue:

Cahokia
2010-07-19, 04:40 AM
I'm spending the summer in my native home in California. It was "really cold" at 60-70 degrees about a week and a half ago. Now it's "really hot" at somewhere between 80-95.

Yeah, I have nothing to complain about. But I'll be back in New York come winter, so I'm savoring the plastic city for as long as I can.

Ponderthought
2010-07-19, 10:49 AM
10:30, and I dont even want to look at the temperature outside. it will just make me sad.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 11:26 AM
There was a thunderstorm a few hours ago now it's nearly cloudless.

Cealocanth
2010-07-19, 11:30 AM
It's record heat over here in Colorado, the humidity's been up too lately.

We have our thermostat set to 14' F and it's still hot inside.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-19, 11:38 AM
i think my body would physically start to melt if i experienced tempretures that high. so in a way, im glad that a "warm day" is only about 18 degrees centegrade over in england. every thing above that tends to get labeled as hot.

for example recently we have had tempreture pushing 30 degrees, and everyone is dying from the heat. were just not used to it :smalltongue:

My mom mentioned one time that on vacation in England, they were experiencing a "heat wave" that had people passing out, and when she checked the temp, it was like 80F. Which is mid spring here.

arguskos
2010-07-19, 11:56 AM
Yeah, Dallas was rough when I lived there. :smallsigh:

Ohio's been disgustingly humid the last few days too, sadly. Dammit, I want it to cool down a little bit eventually.

bluewind95
2010-07-19, 12:08 PM
My homeland was recently devastated by a hurricane.

Where I'm at now it's... pretty hot. Not as hot as my homeland usually gets, but still hot enough to get annoying.

Fostire
2010-07-19, 02:12 PM
Meanwhile on the other side of the world: it's freezing!!! and it has been raining for days. Not fun :smallannoyed:

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 02:22 PM
I can't take the heat here in Seattle. The last couple days, its been high 70s to low 80s, and I'm seriously melting. I miss the weather in Deadhorse, Alaska. They have such beautiful summer weather, 40-45 F with 0-1% relative humidity. Seriously, you can go out in a nice carhart overshirt and bibs, maybe throwing on the thermal underwear in the evening, and be perfectly content. I miss it so much some times...

Delwugor
2010-07-19, 04:43 PM
Last week had my vacation with the family camping. 9 days of heat and humidity with the lake being the only place to cool off. Even at night it was either hot or humid and no breeze at all. The only time we weren't sticky was 15 minutes after swimming and/or a lake bath.
Nice and relaxing week but I was very glad to sleep in the AC last night.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 07:00 PM
There was a thunderstorm a few hours ago now it's nearly cloudless.

Hey! Now there's another thunderstorm! I lost power for about a minute. It's back. Thought I wouldn't be able to see the new Adventure Time.

thorgrim29
2010-07-19, 10:08 PM
I saw a tornado Saturday, about 45 minutes south of Montreal, between sheets of rain falling down all day.

Cealocanth
2010-07-19, 10:10 PM
We're getting tornado warnings almost every day now. It's part of the natural Coloradan weather cycle that storms arouse in the afternoons carrying funnel clouds. It's when they're near populated areas that there's a problem.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-19, 11:15 PM
Awesome. On top of a 100oF heat index, our power was out for more than 8 hours today. No A/C.

arguskos
2010-07-19, 11:22 PM
Awesome. On top of a 100oF heat index, our power was out for more than 8 hours today. No A/C.
:smalleek: Are ya'll alright? That's dangerous, right there.

IonDragon
2010-07-20, 12:11 AM

Is all the food in your fridge cooked now?

wxdruid
2010-07-20, 12:22 AM
We have an impressive line of thunderstorms headed our way tonight. We already put out the hail and wind warnings for the base.

Radar for St Louis (http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite.php?product=NCR&loop=no&rid=lsx) I'm just waiting for it to get here and hope it does something useful.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-20, 12:32 AM
:smalleek: Are ya'll alright? That's dangerous, right there.We left the house for cooler locales right when the power went out. When we got back, though, it was miserable hot inside, but still hotter outside, and no breeze, so opening the windows wouldn't even have helped.

Is all the food in your fridge cooked now?We didn't even crack the fridge door while the power was out. All things inside should be okay, though I haven't personally checked yet. :smallcool:

SDF
2010-07-20, 12:39 AM
It is way too freaking temperate here. It isn't perfect weather, it is a little warm, but it is nothing to write home about. There is just nothing remarkable about the weather this month. It is just a mild summer.

My point is I have nothing to small talk about.

Keld Denar
2010-07-20, 12:40 AM
All things inside should be okay, though I haven't personally checked yet. :smallcool:Its Schrödinger's Icebox! Is the food inside spoiled? Is it fresh? While the fridge stays closed, it is simultaneously both, but when you open it, the fabric of space and time will tear and suck you into a black hole.

Ponderthought
2010-07-20, 12:50 AM
Its Schrödinger's Icebox! Is the food inside spoiled? Is it fresh? While the fridge stays closed, it is simultaneously both, but when you open it, the fabric of space and time will tear and suck you into a black hole.

Ive always found schrodinger to be lunacy. The universe dosent behave differently when it isnt being observed. Any cat in the box is most likely dead from asphyxiation by the time the box is opened anyway, assuming the correct precautions were taken.

This had nothing to do with weather, just angry amateur science and philosophy. You can safely ignore me >>

KilltheToy
2010-07-20, 07:17 PM

What part? All of it?

Philistine
2010-07-20, 09:17 PM
Gotta love Summer in the South (ern USA). At 9:00 PM, it's still 88F - and with a heat index of 98F (~31C and 37C respectively).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-20, 09:35 PM
There was a heat wave here in Toronto a coupla weeks ago, but not anymore. I had the good luck to be in England when that happened, and hear all the English people complain about the heat (it was cool) and the humidity (it was so dry I was having random nosebleeds). Sooooft Brits. Soooooft.

It's just nice out lately though.

Edit: I mean, it was hardly 25 Celcius in England! How can you complain about 25*C, when it was 42*C back home?

dish
2010-07-21, 01:02 PM
Little story about life in China:
In the past (10-15 years ago) there was a regulation that when the weather went higher than 40*C, outdoor workers should get the day off work. Seems like a good sensible policy, but unfortunately, this is China and it goes above 40*C often enough to make giving people the day off work economically-unviable. They decided to fix that problem by making sure that the officially-announced temperature NEVER went above 39*C. Thus, in the height of summer, for weeks on end the official temperature was: 39*C.

Eventually some sensible official decided to revoke that regulation, so now they should be able to tell us what the correct temperature is without any risk of economic melt-down. But they don't. Today the public thermometer outside my apartment block in Shanghai read 39*C when i walked past it (and I'm sure it went higher than that around mid-day, but I had no intentions of heading outside to check). Yet the official news announced that there were "highs of 35*C". From the way they're reporting on the 'heat-wave' it is obvious they know the highs are significantly higher than 35*C. And every single person watching the news knows the highs are higher than 35*C. Yet, officially it is 35*C.

If the official news announces that it is 39*C, then the entire city will probably be ready to expire from heat-stroke.

(Actually, there was a breeze today, so it felt much more comfortable than the last two days of this 'heat-wave'.)

Delwugor
2010-07-21, 01:31 PM
Thank for the amusing post dish, it sounds so ridiculous but I don't doubt that it is true.

Ponderthought
2010-07-21, 01:53 PM
What part? All of it?

Most. Im not sure about east texas, cause sometimes its nice over there, but the rest of us have been getting fried every day.

Coplantor
2010-07-21, 01:57 PM
Meanwhile on the other side of the world: it's freezing!!! and it has been raining for days. Not fun :smallannoyed:

Seems like I got swordsage'd with my rant by a couple of days, but yes, the general concensus around here is that it's cold as hell, though I'm looking through the window right now and.... what is that bright thingy right there? Could it be... The Sun?

Joran
2010-07-21, 04:34 PM
Your location now makes sense to me. Finally. I used to live 10 minutes out from D.C on the Virgina side.

Here in the mountains, its nice and dry, with the constant daily storm dropping temps to around 78 degree's, the muggyness leaving us rather swiftly.

I live on the I-270 side of Maryland. We had a record setting winter in terms of snowfall, with three major storms averaging 1.5 feet (SnOMG, Snowmaggedon, and Snomore). We had 6 feet, 7 inches of snow over the winter when we're normally accustomed to 1 and a half feet of snow in a regular winter.

Even though we got more than 4 times the regular amount of snow, we're currently in a drought. Also, an average summer here has 37 days of over 90F. We just passed the average, and we're still in the middle of July! We also have pretty high humidity here, so it's just generally unpleasant.

Seriously, whatever we did to anger the weather gods, we're sorry!

Gorgondantess
2010-07-21, 04:42 PM
Man, living in southern california sucks. Did you know that it's just over 70 degrees? Really! That's, like, three or four degrees above an optimal temperature! I'm almost at the point where if I went outside and started running, I would sweat! And, and, the humidity is above 1%! This is just intolerable!:smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 10:46 PM
It's raining again.

Cobalt
2010-07-21, 10:50 PM
...:smallsigh:

It sure is hot in Florida. I miss South Carolina heat; at leat with it I didn't have trouble breathing after a single mile.

Or maybe I'm getting fat. Hmm...

*scale reads 150*

Nope. It's the heat. It had some unnatural hold on the denizens, forcing them inside during summer and keeping them so bundled when it's cold that they can't move around.

Actually I've never been here during the winter, but I'm assuming it can't be too different than SC. Though the heat is cursed, so I may be wrong.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 10:59 PM
It sure is hot in Florida.

How hot is it?

Serpentine
2010-07-21, 11:23 PM
Ive always found schrodinger to be lunacy. The universe dosent behave differently when it isnt being observed. Any cat in the box is most likely dead from asphyxiation by the time the box is opened anyway, assuming the correct precautions were taken.

This had nothing to do with weather, just angry amateur science and philosophy. You can safely ignore me >>Actually, it's my understanding that quantum mechanics is complicated by the fact that certain particles do behave differently when observed.

Here in Armidale, we've had record low temperatures but not so much as a hint of snow :smallannoyed: Armidale's pretty weird, though. A couple of years ago, it snowed in November. Last year, it was 40oC+ in the same month. I think it tends to peak early - the hottest parts of summer and the coldest parts of winter in the first month of the season and then milder the rest, rather than near the end of the second month like you'd expect.
Incidentally, the weather is sickeningly beautiful today. Only the slight cool breeze prevents it being perfect sunbathing temperature, and the sky it a disgustingly gorgeous blue.

Also, silly yankies with their silly arbitrary temperature system :smallcool:

Asuta
2010-07-22, 12:15 AM
Strangely, where I live in California hasn't been that hot. Normally we would be in the high 90F's but it's stayed down to 80F, even 70F. I'm glad, because we don't have A/C in my house. :smallcool:

Cobalt
2010-07-22, 12:23 AM
How hot is it?

Triple digits, friend. Couple days ago it was over 100 F. Today (Er... Yesterday) was slightly better. But it still caused me to stop in my tracks for breath.

Bah. And people wonder why I curse the sun.

wxdruid
2010-07-22, 12:35 AM
During this 3 month period (July, Aug, Sept) I'm mostly asleep during the day and therefore miss all the hot and annoying weather. :smalltongue: Of course the downside is that I have to work all night and never get enough sleep. :smallmad:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-22, 09:28 AM
I live on the I-270 side of Maryland. We had a record setting winter in terms of snowfall, with three major storms averaging 1.5 feet (SnOMG, Snowmaggedon, and Snomore). We had 6 feet, 7 inches of snow over the winter when we're normally accustomed to 1 and a half feet of snow in a regular winter.

Even though we got more than 4 times the regular amount of snow, we're currently in a drought. Also, an average summer here has 37 days of over 90F. We just passed the average, and we're still in the middle of July! We also have pretty high humidity here, so it's just generally unpleasant.

Seriously, whatever we did to anger the weather gods, we're sorry!

This also makes me mad. You know how much snow we got in Toronto? Less than a foot, over the entire winter. I would have KILLED to have 6'7" of snow. Those snow storms sound AMAZING. 1'6" of snow a storm? That would be AWESOME! But noooooo, all those Yankees and such had to steal are snow, and then people complain about "Hey guys, it's cold, no such thing as Global Warming", when we're having above-zero weather in January. Really guys?

It was the most pathetic winter of my life.

Serpentine
2010-07-22, 09:31 AM
Sometimes, we get, like, an inch! And it totally stays on the ground for even an hour or more!

Joran
2010-07-22, 02:26 PM
This also makes me mad. You know how much snow we got in Toronto? Less than a foot, over the entire winter. I would have KILLED to have 6'7" of snow. Those snow storms sound AMAZING. 1'6" of snow a storm? That would be AWESOME! But noooooo, all those Yankees and such had to steal are snow, and then people complain about "Hey guys, it's cold, no such thing as Global Warming", when we're having above-zero weather in January. Really guys?

It was the most pathetic winter of my life.

I enjoyed the snow actually. The shoveling was a bit of a pain and we got around 2 feet of snow on top of another 2 feet of snow sometime in February. It was pretty epic.

I hate the summers here though. I prefer cold over heat mainly because with cold, I can always add more layers and dress more warmly. With heat, I can keep stripping, but at some point I'll reach nothing but skin and will either blind all people around me or find myself in jail... and even then I'll be too hot.

P.S. Washingtonians are rather famous for complaining all the time. We had a 3.6 earthquake here one morning and it was the talk of the town for the entire day.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-22, 04:53 PM
Partly cloudy here. That's the thing about summer weather: it's either sunny and humid or there's a thunderstorm.

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-22, 04:56 PM
It has been way too hot all day. It was 98 earlier. Cooling down now, 91.

Eldpollard
2010-07-22, 04:59 PM
Well here in the North of England it's not that warm at all. No rainstorm today at least (well there was at 6 A.M. so incredibly heavy it woke me up) but I'm in a t-shirt and it's only just warm enough for me to be in it and nothing else (apart from trousers and shoes)

KenderWizard
2010-07-22, 05:21 PM
I'm still on holiday in Virginia, and still melting. I think I'm getting slightly more used to it, but it's supposed to go above 100oF or about 40oC again in the next two days... :smallmad:

Actually, it's my understanding that quantum mechanics is complicated by the fact that certain particles do behave differently when observed.

Yes, this is true! For example,
one of my favourite physics experiments involves firing electrons at two very thin slits parallel to one another and seeing what happens on the other side. If you ignore them until they hit a screen on the other side, they make a stripey pattern (you can get the same effect with a laser or other monochromatic light source). But if you attempt to observe them passing through the slits, they don't make the pattern, they just make a messy blob. This means if you're not looking, they go to Form of a Wave en route, and if you are looking, they stay in Form of a Particle. Isn't that mad?

Last winter in Ireland, we got maybe a foot of snow, tops. And the Entire Country went into lockdown! It was pretty amazing. There was a perfectly serious news report warning that supermarkets were running critically low on "all forms of salt, and woolly hats". ... We don't get much snow usually. :smallsmile: Which is a shame, because I really love snow.

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-07-22, 06:03 PM
Its been so rainy here in Winnipeg.:smallfrown:

Ultimate has been cancelled again, we've only played for two of the last seven weeks, and summer league ends in four weeks. :smalleek:

Copacetic
2010-07-22, 08:32 PM
It's predicted to be 103 degrees tomorrow, with humidity. I hate everything.

Lycan 01
2010-07-22, 09:33 PM
Today was sweltering. High 90's I'd wager. Our car said the temp outside was 101 degrees Farenheit, but it might have been thrown off by the heat of the road. The humidity wasn't as bad as it usually is though, so it was slightly more bearable than usual Mississippi heat.

But now we've got a Tropical Storm forming which may hit either Texas or the Mississippi/Louisiana border. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay... :smallannoyed:

Cealocanth
2010-07-22, 10:48 PM
The endless migraine is over! The heat and humidity was up so high that I had a nonstop migraine for three days. Now that it's rained again, I can finally think straight again!

Ponderthought
2010-07-24, 10:27 AM
It's predicted to be 103 degrees tomorrow, with humidity. I hate everything.

Today's high is supposed to be 97 degrees, with a enough humidity to make it feel like 105. Would you like to join me in shouting obscenities at the outside?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-24, 12:02 PM
Actually not so bad today. Just in the high 90's and possibility of going into low 80's this evening.

Yesterday was 101 and couple days before that 106.

However, the humidity is %60-something.

Heat index is 110 degrees.

And I'm in north Georgia...

Bacon Barbarian
2010-07-24, 12:06 PM
DC was horrid last week. 102 degrees, and in the Subway, which for some reason isn't always below ground, it was much worse.

Marillion
2010-07-24, 12:43 PM
Yesterday was the hottest day in July in Indiana since they started keeping records. And it gets worse today. And I have to walk to work during the hottest part of the day. :smalleek:

Alteran
2010-07-24, 01:45 PM
It's supposed to be this hot in Toronto, but it's not supposed to be this humid.

Buh huh huh. :smallfrown:

For the past few weeks, it's been around 25-32 °C (77-90 °F), with humidity around 80-100%. Goddammit, summer.

KilltheToy
2010-07-24, 07:00 PM
Most. Im not sure about east texas, cause sometimes its nice over there, but the rest of us have been getting fried every day.

I can summarize the weather around Houston for you.

A. Hot and humid. So very humid.
B. Raining.

Pick one.

Oddly, when I went to summer camp near Fort Worth a year or two ago, I found the lack of humidity to actually be worse. Yay for climate acclimation! :smalltongue:

Ponderthought
2010-07-24, 09:10 PM
I can summarize the weather around Houston for you.

A. Hot and humid. So very humid.
B. Raining.

Pick one.

Oddly, when I went to summer camp near Fort Worth a year or two ago, I found the lack of humidity to actually be worse. Yay for climate acclimation! :smalltongue:

Ah Houston. They ever get rid of that paper mill that was making everywhere smell like ass?

Hey I live in Fort Worth. Its been raining here, then immediately switching to clear, merciless skies. The humidity is awful..my ancestors were apaches, maybe im more suited to the desert.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-24, 09:13 PM
It's supposed to be this hot in Toronto, but it's not supposed to be this humid.

Buh huh huh. :smallfrown:

For the past few weeks, it's been around 25-32 °C (77-90 °F), with humidity around 80-100%. Goddammit, summer.

Yeah, I've been going outside and the literally taking a step back from shock over how humid it is.

And it was raining in Waterloo earlier, so I couldn't go swimming in my grandparents pool. Well, I could, but nobody else would.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-24, 10:31 PM
Ah Houston. They ever get rid of that paper mill that was making everywhere smell like ass?
Ha! I passed one of those things once. WTH makes those things smell like that? I mean, c'mon, that's gotta be breaking some kinda labor law, geeze...

Serpentine
2010-07-24, 10:44 PM
Yesterday was the hottest day in July in Indiana since they started keeping records. And it gets worse today. And I have to walk to work during the hottest part of the day. :smalleek:A couple of weeks ago, we had the coldest day in July in Armidale since they started keeping records.
Speaking of which, because I'm an idiot we've run out of gas, so our only heater is a crappy tiny oil one :smallannoyed:
And it was raining in Waterloo earlier, so I couldn't go swimming in my grandparents pool. Well, I could, but nobody else would.Of course not, you might get wet!

Ponderthought
2010-07-24, 11:47 PM
Ha! I passed one of those things once. WTH makes those things smell like that? I mean, c'mon, that's gotta be breaking some kinda labor law, geeze...

Most paper mills use the sulfite chemical process to soften the wood pulp. It involves cooking down sulfur, and thus, producing an awful stench.

Ha, night time. Much cooler.

Marillion
2010-07-25, 08:35 AM
A couple of weeks ago, we had the coldest day in July in Armidale since they started keeping records.
Speaking of which, because I'm an idiot we've run out of gas, so our only heater is a crappy tiny oil one :smallannoyed:
*trades*
I love the cold. When it was January, there was 6 inches of snow on the ground, it was negative two degrees outside, and my pants were wet from working in the dish tank all night, and you could not get me to take a ride. But as soon as it cracked 80 I turned into the worlds biggest wuss and now all I do is ask for rides:smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-25, 11:24 AM
Most paper mills use the sulfite chemical process to soften the wood pulp. It involves cooking down sulfur, and thus, producing an awful stench.
Brimstone, eh?

Hellish job for certain...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-07-25, 11:39 AM
Brimstone, eh?

Hellish job for certain...

You'll never guess where you'll go for jokes like that...

Trog
2010-07-25, 01:53 PM
Had very localized high winds here Friday night/Saturday morning that left my neighborhood without power for most of Sat. and which took down hundreds of branches and even a few 40-50 year old big trees. :smalleek:

In the middle of the night we heard a CRAK! and a THUD! ... That was the tree across the street literally splitting in half down the middle and falling over. You drive more than 2 blocks in any direction though and there was no damage elsewhere.

My property damage was minimal. A portion of my fence blew down is all and my tree was fine. I used to complain all the time about that tree dropping branches and, while there ARE quite a few in the yard, nothing big fell. Yay for awesome tree! :smallbiggrin:

The power outage was the most disruptive as it threw a wrench into a couple of my plans for that day but it was easily bypassed. Though for a while the Trog cave really became one, so to speak. Good thing I had plenty of candles.

I'm of the opinion that certain awesome events at the Trog household caused the unusual weather. ... But I might be biased. :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 02:01 PM
Looks like it's about to rain here.

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-25, 03:30 PM
We just had a short thunderstorm/tornado warning, it's cooled down the air significantly.

Xyk
2010-07-25, 07:01 PM
I was just on the gulf coast for a week (not the oily part) and the weather was fantastic. I think I need to live on an island. I'm thinking New Zealand.

Texas is too big. Stupid continental climate.:smallannoyed:

Serpentine
2010-07-25, 09:45 PM
Late last night was incredibly calm and extremely mild. So ner :smalltongue:
Also some trees are starting to blossom already :smallconfused:

Ihouji
2010-07-25, 09:54 PM
Been hovering mid to high 90s in PA for 2 weeks with humidity in the mid to high 60s% range.

If you go out side your suddenly hot and soaking wet its horrible.

Ranger Mattos
2010-07-25, 09:56 PM
Storms and tornadoes here on Thursday. Otherwise nearly perfect.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-25, 11:53 PM
I'm of the opinion that certain awesome events at the Trog household caused the unusual weather. ... But I might be biased. :smallwink:You gotta learn how to keep that stuff localized, man. You even gave US 75mph winds tonight and knocked out the power to, according to the radio, "hundreds of thousands of households". :smallannoyed::smallamused:

Keld Denar
2010-07-26, 02:22 AM
Most paper mills use the sulfite chemical process to soften the wood pulp.

Or the Kraft process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraft_process), which uses caustic, and smells much worse.

(Guess where I work? I'll give you a hint, they call it the Aroma of Tacoma, which would be cool because it rhymes, but actually isn't because it smells...)

On topic, the weather up in Seattle was AMAZING today. My buddy grilled steaks, chicken, and sweet corn and we sat on his back lawn for most of the evening. God I love Seattle weather. Houston weather can get bent.

Joran
2010-07-27, 02:58 PM
You gotta learn how to keep that stuff localized, man. You even gave US 75mph winds tonight and knocked out the power to, according to the radio, "hundreds of thousands of households". :smallannoyed::smallamused:

It was bizarre. I was in a restaurant at 3 PM. It suddenly got extremely dark and suddenly huge wind gusts and torrential downpours for about half an hour. Then by 3:30 PM it was sunny again.

Since our area has a dense tree canopy and our ancestors decided that stringing power lines next to trees was a great idea, there were massive power outages. My friend just got power back and there's at least another 100K that still don't have power.