PDA

View Full Version : So, um, Infinite Space?

d12
2010-07-19, 12:56 AM
I did a little searching around but didn't find a lot of discussion about it (at least not that immediately popped out), so I figured it was safe to make a thread. Has anyone here played Infinite Space on the DS to any extent? Likes? Dislikes? Recommend or not? That sort of thing. I'm considering buying it but I have a few nagging reservations about it.

Everything I've heard about the combat suggests that it's a fairly abstracted rock-paper-scissors affair, which is probably the most discouraging thing I've heard about the game. It just doesn't sound very engaging, involving, or exciting. Is my impression mistaken?

I've also heard that because of that, success or failure in battle tends to feel extremely random, and not as the result of careful planning, building, skill, or adaptation. If that's true, that's also quite discouraging. Or is that just how it feels until you've gotten used to the gameplay? I've also heard that the game explains approximately nothing about various aspects. Suppose I could always look up a few FAQs in that case--still sort of inconvenient though.

About the closest thing I can think of to a comparison to a game I've actually played is Puzzle Quest, mostly because the rumors of extreme randomness of the outcome of battle kind of reminds me of PQ's cheat-tastic AI, which is irritating to be sure, but wasn't a deal breaker in my experience (especially since you can just grind skills if you really feel like it). It also sort-of reminds me of Izuna 2 in a may-take-a-while-to-get-used-to-how-things-work way. So those particular things aren't extremely terrible to me per se, but I would greatly prefer to know about any problematic aspects like that ahead of time.

As far as story is concerned, I don't really much care (unless it's really terrible, while keeping YMMV in mind, of course). Gameplay is my foremost concern with games of any type.

So if anyone can give me a general appraisal of the game I would appreciate it. I don't really trust 'professional' reviews to any real extent (especially when discussing handheld games), and I thought a regular-guy/girl assessment might be helpful in deciding whether to get this game.

Raroy
2010-07-19, 01:15 AM
I have this game. I have no intention of really playing through it.

The combat is not rock paper scissors, you get advantages by fighting or defending in a specific way but it's not random at all. You really need to know what you're doing or you'll never make it past the beginning of the game. I didn't play long enough to get multiple ships and such, so I wouldn't know more about combat later on.

The plot is underdeveloped (they could of done a lot more with it) and moves at break neck speeds. It's disappointing if you would be interested in it.

You could probably find a used copy of the game for ten dollars.

Man, I have way too many video games :smallcool:.

d12
2010-07-19, 05:14 AM
Is there any particular reason you don't really feel the urge to play it more? Just underwhelmed with the story, gameplay, or overall experience? Just have too many other games? Other?

I referred to the basics of combat as being rock-paper-scissors-esque because my understanding based on various bits I'd read was that Dodge beats Barrage, Normal beats Dodge, Barrage beats Normal (in a way--sounds like it's more effective per, uh, initiative gauge units used), though I've also heard there are a couple other options that come up after a while. And I've heard that the whole 'melee combat'/'arr, we be boardin yer vessel' component pretty much is just rock-paper-scissors.

And I mostly said what I said about lack of interest in the story because of general consternation over frequently hearing "has such a great story" about games as a major selling point when people give recommendations because, well, in the dreaded (to me) event it's nothing but story then they probably should have just made a TV series or movie or written a book instead, especially if they couldn't be bothered to include engaging gameplay or any sense of player agency (in the event of super-linear games). So don't mind that too much, that's just me being ornery. :smalltongue:

Also, hey, aren't you the one who started that Let's Fail at Nethack thread? :smallbiggrin:

Raroy
2010-07-19, 01:35 PM
I just lost interest in Infinite space. It's just... meh.

I suppose, once you get used to combat, it's not very stellar or interesting. Matter of fact, I say pass on it.

We don't talk about my let's plays okay? Way to open up old wounds, you underused die.

d12
2010-07-19, 01:56 PM
Hmm, I see. I think. :smallwink:

Also, had no idea the LPs were such a contentious issue. :smalleek: Sorry I mentioned it then. :smalltongue: Though to be fair, it was Nethack. I spend a great deal of time in a state of having quit that game because the great majority of my games are very short.

Jair Barik
2010-07-19, 02:09 PM
Actually once you get into it the storyline is pretty good. Developed characters are bumped off, enemies are developed and then killed and at times it is really difficult (even though there is a dominant mid-late game strategy that trumps most everything else).

I'd recommend it but the appeal isn't for everyone and you need to get to a fair way in before all the tactics are available (namely about 3 ship fleet that can include fighters). Even in the late game theres still new options becoming available (4th and 5th ship, new types and new special attacks from certain ships)

d12
2010-07-22, 07:37 PM
Thanks for your input as well, Jair.

I'm still rather undecided on whether to buy the game. When I first heard about it my first thought was "does it play like Freespace?" and I'm still not sure if I'm over that disappointment. :smalltongue: Kind of a shame there isn't a very convenient way (that I've ever heard of) to demo DS games, because based on what I've read and seen of the gameplay I can see how it could go smoothly enough, but I can also see how it could be a disaster.

Jair Barik
2010-07-23, 09:29 AM
One thing I've noted is that either due to a issue with my Ds or just a game fault occassionally the touch screen buttons are a little unresponsive leading to you failing to dodge in time or not getting a shot in before your opponents shields are back up. This is only a minor niggle though and is pretty rare anyway.