PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me a system

stenver
2010-07-19, 03:37 AM
I would like a system suggestion that does a few things.

It is in modern or future.

It is easy, quick to learn but covers nearly everything.

*It should handle gun shooting mechanics well, like minigun with 10 000 RPM per minute.. but not 10 000 rolls per minute.

*it would be at least as easy as 3.5, if not easier. So as we could just study it in a few hours and jump in and play.

3.5 is good, but not when guns are involved.. and we would like to have a nice change from 3.5.. and its awful awful bookkeeping in high levels..

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-19, 03:49 AM
I would like a system suggestion that does a few things.

It is in modern or future.

*It should handle gun shooting mechanics well, like minigun with 10 000 RPM per minute.. but not 10 000 rolls per minute.

*it would be at least as easy as 3.5, if not easier. So as we could just study it in a few hours and jump in and play.

3.5 is good, but not when guns are involved.. and we would like to have a nice change from 3.5.. and its awful awful bookkeeping in high levels..

d20 Modern could suit you, it's not amazing but it's good enough. Mutants and Masterminds would also handle your request, I believe.

Psyx
2010-07-19, 04:47 AM
Cyberpunk / Shadowrun?

Both are easily retooled down to a modern game, and not half bad as systems go. Both also have the enormous advantage of not being cruddy, cruddy, level based d20 systems.

The Fusion system might be worth a look too. Simple and fairly elegant.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-19, 06:12 AM
Unisystem.

Definitely Unisystem.

In fact, every minute you spend in ignorance of Unisystem is a minute wasted.

Here, go and download Witchcraft (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=692&it=1) for free, and if you like it, move on to other Unisystem products, such as All Flesh Must Be Eaten and Ghosts of Albion.

If you don't like it, I will pray for your lost soul. :smalltongue:

*is this board's resident Unisystem fanboi*

Satyr
2010-07-19, 06:47 AM
Unisystem is pretty awesome, and when you are used to D20, it is also quite easy to learn, as it pretty much took the good stuff from D20, but is
And it has several of the better magic systems around, if you are interested in something like urban fantasy.
There is a simplified Cinematic Version (used in Buffy, Angel, Army of Darkness and Ghost of Albion) if you like, but the basic rules are already very streamlined and simple.

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-07-19, 07:21 AM
Microlite 20.

The complete collection has all sorts of rules variants, and there are links on the forum to another set of modern rules.

Of course, I don't think any of the games suggested thus far have the sort of bullet-based granularity you seem to be looking for, and I don't know of a game that does.

My suggestion is to play some Team Fortress 2.

Dizlag
2010-07-19, 09:53 AM
Savage Worlds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Worlds) is a great system that's "Fast, Furious, and Fun!" A pretty generic, light and easy system to learn and make a campaign world. The Savage Worlds Explorer's Guide is only $10 and has everything you need in there for the game, monsters, and what not.

The system also has a lot of campaign worlds ... Slipstream, MARS, Weird Wars, The Day After Ragnarok, Sundered Skies ... and more. They should have something for you. :smallbiggrin:

Enjoy!

Dizlag

potatocubed
2010-07-19, 10:13 AM
Traveller?

Cyrion
2010-07-19, 10:16 AM
Traveller?

Yes! Though go for the original over the GURPS rewrite; the original is a much easier jump-n-go system than GURPS.

Sarquion
2010-07-19, 10:23 AM
I prefer the D10 system but it might not be the easiest to jump straight into.

Delwugor
2010-07-19, 01:20 PM
Take a look at True20 if you are looking for a generic, easier more cinematic feel of d20. Many similarities so anyone comfortable with D&D and d20 can jump in quickly.
The biggest differences:
All rolls are made with a d20 die. Very easy to get used to.
Only 3 generic Roles instead of specific classes. Allows for much customization but takes a bit of forethought in character planning, there is a section on how to simulate different classes from the roles and feats.
Use of conviction points (like action points) to promote more cinematic play and help with survivability.
Use of conditions and toughness saves instead of HP. Seems a bit daunting at first but my group got the knack of it in the first 1/2 hr of play.
Powers instead of a magic system. Not necessarily the greatest at magic but works well for psionics and some special abilities.

Dairun Cates
2010-07-19, 01:26 PM

Honestly, this statement somewhat makes me wonder if you're sure what you want. Easy and quick isn't going handle indepth gun mechanics particularly well most of the time. If you just want something that handles gun combat better and is fast and fun, than I can suggest a few things. If you're asking for hyper detailed gun combat with complex stats and such, I can recommend something there too. But if you want fast AND complex, that's a bit weird and is a bit harder to recommend something for.

Also, do you want this over the top or realistic? That actually makes a HUGE impact on the suggestions.

Natael
2010-07-19, 01:26 PM
GURPS does that perfectly well
www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/ for the basic rules for free, could even run a realistic game off them if you'd like.

I've had no issue throwing people new to RPing into GURPS, it is actually the people used to d20 that seem to have the most issue.

For Valor
2010-07-19, 02:04 PM
Alternate World of Darkness (http://code.google.com/p/awod/downloads/detail?name=aWoD PDF 1.0.pdf) is a futuristic gaming system made by Frank Trollman, using Shadowrun 4 for inspiration and rewriting Monte Cook's WoD. It's completely Public Domain, so you can literally do whatever you want with it (that also means it's free).

Another system Frank made is called SAME (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=39654), a 4-stat system that is only written with base mechanics. You'd have to write your own system for it, but things work very smoothly. If you define rounds, define the weapons (range, speed of fire, damage) and armor, and then define the ruling damage system, everything moves smoothly.

stenver
2010-07-19, 02:19 PM
I would prefer realistic, as in, high magic or biotic or whatever is certainly not a requirement.

I will take a look at all the suggestions, you offered.
Thank you

JaronK
2010-07-19, 02:22 PM
I'd just go with Shadowrun. It certainly knows how to handle guns, with a lot of detail, but it's not hard to learn.

JaronK

Dairun Cates
2010-07-19, 02:41 PM
I would prefer realistic, as in, high magic or biotic or whatever is certainly not a requirement.

I will take a look at all the suggestions, you offered.
Thank you

Actually, over the top vs. realistic is more of a case versus lots of guns and ridiculous explosions or "one bullet kills an unarmored human". In short, do you want an action film or do you want an episode of firefly?

Bagelz
2010-07-19, 02:49 PM
I would go with a dice pool system like the aforementioned Shadowrun or alternate WoD.
They are generally easy to understand mechanics (even if character creation may not be as familiar) and they tend to handle gun-play much better than d20 systems.

For Valor
2010-07-19, 03:05 PM
Actually, over the top vs. realistic is more of a case versus lots of guns and ridiculous explosions or "one bullet kills an unarmored human". In short, do you want an action film or do you want an episode of firefly?

firefly. As long as I get to be Mal.

JaronK
2010-07-19, 03:13 PM
Sadly, the Serenity game absolutely sucks. Too bad too, because it had potential.

JaronK

Satyr
2010-07-19, 03:29 PM

While the best systems include the options for both so that you can choose which one or a mixture you want of both as in "a bullet hitting a PC, that's a flesh wound; a bullet that hits a mook is a death sentence".

I would, however, not really suggest Shadowrun. Combat in Shadowrun can be tedious. Gurps is likewise an awesome system, but not really that easy to master (easy to learn yes, but hard to fully grasp).

And I guess I could toss together a Firefly-based game based on All Flesh Must Be Eaten, a Fistful of Zombies and of course All Tomorow Zombies within half an hour or so - Reavers are Zombies anyway...