View Full Version : OOTS #736 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2010-07-19, 05:27 AM
New comic is up.

Closak
2010-07-19, 05:31 AM
Hehe.

Darn it Belkar.
Seriously, stealing a weaker prisoners bread?
Weren't you listening?
...Oh, right.

...Wait a sec...did i just...?

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-19, 05:31 AM
The Wolverine Effect. Fascinating.

Debatra
2010-07-19, 05:32 AM
Love the title joke.

Eloel
2010-07-19, 05:33 AM
So THIS is how Belkar dies.

MickJay
2010-07-19, 05:34 AM
Brilliant :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-07-19, 05:37 AM

My thoughts exactly.

I still think Belkar is gonna turn up undead at some point.

hamishspence
2010-07-19, 05:38 AM
Great references to the many tropes of gladiators.

Eldan
2010-07-19, 05:39 AM
My thoughts exactly.

I still think Belkar is gonna turn up undead at some point.

I think Belkar will be reincarnated as an Air Genasi by Leeky Windstaff. They don't need to breathe.

Anyway, funny.

meep
2010-07-19, 05:41 AM
Love the title joke.

Care to explain it?

I don't get it.

OOOOOOH: is this the snails/oysters [or whatever] conversation from Spartacus? Carry on...

XiaoTie
2010-07-19, 05:43 AM
Wooohooo!

It will be fun to watch the Sexy Shoeless God of War go down in a gladiatoral match

FyreByrd
2010-07-19, 05:46 AM
Joke-A-Panel...

Best strip in a while!

BobVosh
2010-07-19, 05:46 AM
Wooohooo!

It will be fun to watch the Sexy Shoeless God of War go down in a gladiatoral match

Sexy sandalled God of War.

Lupusater
2010-07-19, 05:47 AM
Is the lizardman gladiator Gannji? The skin tone seems a bit darker than his, though. Aside from that, great comic!

hamishspence
2010-07-19, 05:49 AM
It could be lighting- but the lizardman does look different- more "brown-green" than the "mint-green" shade of Gannji.

Debatra
2010-07-19, 05:51 AM
Care to explain it?

I don't get it.

OOOOOOH: is this the snails/oysters [or whatever] conversation from Spartacus? Carry on...

From Airplane. The pilot asks a child a few "strange" questions. One of them being "Do you like movies about gladiators?"

Covenantwgw
2010-07-19, 05:57 AM
Why do I get the impression that the gladiator wrangler hangs out alot with Elan's dad?

zmasterofjersey
2010-07-19, 05:59 AM
I love the "making fun of cliches" in this comic, and then Belkar does it anyway.

Vonotar
2010-07-19, 06:02 AM
I wonder if we just met the man who will kill Belkar in the final panel there.

Estelindis
2010-07-19, 06:02 AM
So funny, so true.

And I love it that Belkar is that one bad-guy. :smallbiggrin:

Katana_Geldar
2010-07-19, 06:03 AM
Why do I see Roy going all Spartacus and leading a revolt of the gladiators? Heading to a moment when they ask which one of them is Roy Greenhilt...:smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-19, 06:03 AM
I love this. And wasn't Belkar listening at all?

HeseMCMXCI
2010-07-19, 06:04 AM
I'm not so sure about belkar dying just yet. Now that he stole the other guys bread, he has entered another part of the game we call civila- *hm* society, but as his hallusinations told him to, Deaths lil' helper has taken a new approach: he cheats instead of not playing. So all i can say is: this is going to be interesting :smallsmile:

Closak
Apparantly not.

kerberos

I rather doubt it, I don't think Belkar will be killed for a cheap joke about gladiator movie clichés. In Belkars Word, more plot essential characters than [the gladiator guy] have tried and failed.

hajo
2010-07-19, 06:07 AM
Snakeoil for the lizards ?

Devmaar
2010-07-19, 06:07 AM
Why do I see Roy going all Spartacus and leading a revolt of the gladiators? Heading to a moment when they ask which one of them is Roy Greenhilt...:smallbiggrin:

Followed by:
:belkar:: He is
:roy:: -sigh

Jimorian
2010-07-19, 06:09 AM

It wasn't the guy who steals bread that gets killed by the gladiator that helps the weak guy, it's the one that KILLS the weak guy in combat.

Katana_Geldar
2010-07-19, 06:12 AM
Followed by:
:belkar:: He is
:roy:: -sigh

What, no: "I'm Roy Greenhilt, and so is this guy"?

Ghanjo
2010-07-19, 06:12 AM
One of the best comics. Ever.
Laughed at almost every panel.

B. Dandelion
2010-07-19, 06:17 AM
Is it supposed to be "homoerotic" as opposed to "homosexual" or am I just... ah, never mind.

I love these setup strips that are so effective and so simultaneously flippant. I think this one's my favorite since, 260 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0260.html).

suszterpatt
2010-07-19, 06:20 AM
Why did they give Belkar sandals, anyway?

Ancalagon
2010-07-19, 06:20 AM
Nice. Belkar already shows it's not going to go as outlined and as it apparemtöy goes always. I see lots and lots of uprising coming. Wait... no... that IS what always happens. ;)

Closak
2010-07-19, 06:25 AM
Swords and Sandals ohoy... *Sticks a sword in someone's face*

Better watch out Belkar.

Now, where's Spike...i mean Gaanji?

Ancalagon
2010-07-19, 06:30 AM
So, Roy's going to switch from greatsword to trident and net? Belkar is probably fine with two shortswords. Did he conceal his ring of jumping again in a place he was fairly certain no one would search? ;)

So many questions....

Azukar
2010-07-19, 06:30 AM
I hope that snake oil is All Natural...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-19, 06:31 AM
Wait, what happened to Roy's sword?! :smalleek:

Lombard
2010-07-19, 06:32 AM
One of the better strips in awhile.

I lol'd for real! And bothered to sign in to post!

Kareasint
2010-07-19, 06:39 AM

They were sticking with the Gladiator cliches. Somehow, I expected Belkar's actions in the last panel.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-19, 06:44 AM

Sir, we brought you in as a witness because you encountered Roy Greenhilt, leader of the Order of the Stick before. Could you please identify him for us?
:xykon: Wait, who what now?

Barstro
2010-07-19, 06:50 AM

Because it is a lawful society and Rule XVII(B)(2)(ix)(f) clearly states that all prisoners shall be provided foot gear and said foot gear shall be worn. (Emphasis added.)

Ancalagon
2010-07-19, 06:51 AM
Wait, what happened to Roy's sword?! :smalleek:

Confiscated, of course.

If this would be a computer game it would be in a chest (together with the rest of the eq) right next the exit of the arena (so you could re-equip all the stuff that was taken once you finished the prisoner-in-the-arena-level).

Phishfood
2010-07-19, 06:54 AM
It wasn't the guy who steals bread that gets killed by the gladiator that helps the weak guy, it's the one that KILLS the weak guy in combat.

Yes, Belkar killing someone in combat would be such a suprise. :smallconfused:

Do you like it when scraps holds on to your leg and rubs up and down?

Santiago
2010-07-19, 06:55 AM
This one had me laughing so hard it woke up the girlfriend. 4:55 in the morning where I am right now. XD

Shale
2010-07-19, 06:58 AM
Enforced genre-savviness is a hilarious thing.

Blaznak
2010-07-19, 06:59 AM
Belkar, right on cue as always...

Teddy
2010-07-19, 07:08 AM
Oh, haha! I wonder how Rich will subvert these gladiator tropes next? :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2010-07-19, 07:17 AM
Confiscated, of course.

It's more strange the fact that Roy isn't worried at all 'bout his sword, now in the hands of the ones that send him to death.
But this is no important, in front of the sheer awesomeness of all those fancy clichès.... :smallsmile:

Nilan8888
2010-07-19, 07:20 AM

That or the next comic will open with Roy talking to someone, his back turned as Belkar walks up to thier conversation from the vicinity of two familiar-looking corpses.

borg286
2010-07-19, 07:23 AM
what happened to the white gladiator on the far left? He is seen next to the lizard in the first panel, but isn't there in the last.

Berserk Knight
2010-07-19, 07:28 AM
Wooohooo!

Sexy sandalled God of War.

It'd be funny if Belkar somehow gets a real bad beating, right up to the point where he takes his sandals off and becomes shoeless again, reclaiming his status as a God of War. :smallbiggrin:

tcrudisi
2010-07-19, 07:37 AM
It'd be funny if Belkar somehow gets a real bad beating, right up to the point where he takes his sandals off and becomes shoeless again, reclaiming his status as a God of War. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, this is a similar train of thought that I was thinking. Basically that Belkar is much like the hair guy from the bible (Sampson?) who is really strong while he has all of his hair and really weak without it. Put Belkar in shoes and he fights like a level 15 Ranger (read as: terribly). Without the shoes he fights like a sexy shoeless god of war.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-07-19, 07:38 AM
I AM entertained!

Great strip, loved the "Airplane" reference, and all the gladiator movie references throughout.

Of course, gladiators don't just kill each other, they get the opportunity to be killed by exotic beasts. So I'm wondering what beast will go toe to toe with Death Lil Helper...

Karuth
2010-07-19, 07:40 AM
Oh. So much poking at clichés :smallsmile:

I do hope Roy has some abilities that are not tied to using a sword.
I am sure Belkar will find a way to inflict pain in any case though (like Riddick with the tea cup ^^)

Shale
2010-07-19, 07:41 AM
what happened to the white gladiator on the far left? He is seen next to the lizard in the first panel, but isn't there in the last.

He walked somewhere else?

Cire II
2010-07-19, 07:49 AM
I'm surprised that so far nearly everyone agrees that Belkar will die here but we are only on page two, I could see the other Gladiator being a character since he has a less generic character design compared to the rest.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-19, 07:54 AM
Rich, you fool! :smalleek:

Have you any idea how much work the tropers will have to do to keep up with the tropes you lampshaded? You just created a whole new category by yourself in this single comic!

Nilan8888
2010-07-19, 08:00 AM
Y'know, although it might have some repetition because of Kazumi and Daigo, it might be funny if over this part of the arc those two gladiator actually do go on to fit all those cliches. Like in the background of key scenes you see that bald gladiator getting killed... the haired gladiator swearing revenge and catching the eye of the noblewoman, etc.

Sort of another story going on almost over the shoulders of everyone else that's going on in front of them and has almost nothing to do with the OOTS, and that comes to a humorous conclusion.

Lol -- like maybe they're PCs doing thier own seperate campaign in the same place. And thiers is actually the one that gets the most attention in the Arena. And meanwhile Belkar, Gannji and Roy are fighting out thier own story that nobody's paying attention to...

faith
2010-07-19, 08:12 AM
Yes, yes I do.

Welf
2010-07-19, 08:32 AM

That's obvious. A sexy shoeless god of war is invincible. With shoes, however, that description doesn't fit anymore and he can be defeated. :smallfrown:

squidbreath
2010-07-19, 08:32 AM
Yay gladiators! I think getting that oil on does have a purpose, I mean doesn't snake oil help with joint pain or something?

toasty
2010-07-19, 08:47 AM
This one was great, I love it. By far one of the best that's been done in a while.

Darcy
2010-07-19, 08:49 AM
In Turkish wrestling, the oil is there to keep you from keeping your grip just with friction.

Turkish Wrestling, a man's sport- for MEN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ya%C4%9Fl%C4%B1_g%C3%BCre%C5%9F)

derfenrirwolv
2010-07-19, 08:49 AM
Snake oil helps with

Joint ache
Muscle ache
Cerberus syndrome
Fatigue
Old age
color blindness
Lack of taste
Synthasia
Vanishing flu

Headaches

and if you send me the low low price of 19.95 you too can have this wonderful miracle oil!

Ricardo
2010-07-19, 08:54 AM
Do you like it when scraps holds on to your leg and rubs up and down?Belkar, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?

Barstro
2010-07-19, 09:02 AM
Belkar, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?

:belkar: Yes. It's in chapter three of my book. Great coffee, hot baths. Too many people with facial hair.

TheFallenOne
2010-07-19, 09:02 AM
I AM entertained!

Great strip, loved the "Airplane" reference, and all the gladiator movie references throughout.

Of course, gladiators don't just kill each other, they get the opportunity to be killed by exotic beasts. So I'm wondering what beast will go toe to toe with Death Lil Helper...

hopefully nothing that grapples (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html)

Though the snake oil might help against that...

The_Final_Stand
2010-07-19, 09:06 AM
I am intrigued about the part where they catch a noblewomans eye.
My guess?
Haley, with Elan + Tarquin, overseeing the final. Or at least the part where they are left with 1 hp and the Champion is waiting for the rulers decision.

Swordpriest
2010-07-19, 09:12 AM
Methinks the snake oil is for the lizardfolk. :smallbiggrin:

FlawedParadigm
2010-07-19, 09:16 AM
Why is everyone convinced Belkar is about to die? He should have another in-comic month or so before his end-of-the-year dying thing kicks in. Which reminds me...I don't think we've seen snow ever (barring flashbacks/prequel books). Does that just not happen in the Stickverse, did it happen during the time skip, or is it just a huge pain in the ass to draw and thus we'll never see it?

Math_Mage
2010-07-19, 09:17 AM
Did anyone else reading this have little bells going off in their head vis-a-vis Belkar taking his last breath before the end of the year? Or is it not plot-relevant enough?

Shale
2010-07-19, 09:20 AM
Why is everyone convinced Belkar is about to die? He should have another in-comic month or so before his end-of-the-year dying thing kicks in.

We know he'll be dead by the end of the year, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll run right up to the deadline and get killed 364 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds after the Oracle's pronouncement.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-19, 09:22 AM
Why is everyone convinced Belkar is about to die? He should have another in-comic month or so before his end-of-the-year dying thing kicks in.
To be fair, the Oracle never said he'd die at the end of the year, just before.

Which reminds me...I don't think we've seen snow ever (barring flashbacks/prequel books). Does that just not happen in the Stickverse, did it happen during the time skip, or is it just a huge pain in the ass to draw and thus we'll never see it?
Everything we've seen around the Dwarven lands is snowy, so I expect we'll see plenty more when they get to Kraagor's gate. I wouldn't expect it to snow much for the time being; it tends not to happen too often in the desert.

Kumo
2010-07-19, 09:24 AM
... I don't know why but this comic's genre-savyness is just too awesome.

T.H. Everything
2010-07-19, 09:30 AM
Did anyone else reading this have little bells going off in their head vis-a-vis Belkar taking his last breath before the end of the year? Or is it not plot-relevant enough?

Everyone did, apparently.

So, yeah, I guess this is the part where BELKAR DIES. Since, after they've finished this one, there's only one gate left, it would be a pretty good time.

The Pilgrim
2010-07-19, 09:31 AM
Airplane reference for the Win

Fable Wright
2010-07-19, 09:31 AM
Wooohooo!

I sincerely doubt that Belkar would go down that easily. He killed thousands of hobgoblins in the battle at Azure City, and you think he'll die in a simple gladiatorial arena? :smallconfused:

I think not. He'll probably die fighting Xykon, for a good purpose, and then somehow, rises as a nonhuman living creature that doesn't need to breathe.

Or, perhaps, he buys a ring of sustenance, and thereafter no longer needs to breathe. :smalltongue:

Kish
2010-07-19, 09:33 AM
I think not. He'll probably die fighting Xykon, for a good purpose, and then somehow, rises as a nonhuman living creature that doesn't need to breathe.

Or, perhaps, he buys a ring of sustenance, and thereafter no longer needs to breathe. :smalltongue:
Either of those would leave him in the world. He's not going to be.

(Also, he's already a nonhuman living creature.)

Optimystik
2010-07-19, 09:48 AM
"...strong homosexual overtones that will not be fully explored."

Rich, you rock. That is seriously every gladiator movie I've ever watched. :smallbiggrin:

DanReiv
2010-07-19, 10:03 AM
lol'd hard at Spartacus parody :smallbiggrin:

Woodsman
2010-07-19, 10:05 AM
Good Lord, I think Elan has rubbed off on everyone.

That, or almost all of the characters can use "Incite Trope."

Scarlet Knight
2010-07-19, 10:05 AM
Oh, I just can't wait until the chariot races with weiner dogs....:smallbiggrin:

Elderac
2010-07-19, 10:06 AM
Reading this strip was like watching Spartacus. Great comic!

I don't think Belkar will die here. It would be too cheap. IMHO, he will die at the last gate, possibly mirroring the dwarf from the Order of the Scribble, although that is possibly where Durkon dies.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-07-19, 10:09 AM
methinks the Giant is teasing us

Faramir
2010-07-19, 10:20 AM
Y'know, although it might have some repetition because of Kazumi and Daigo, it might be funny if over this part of the arc those two gladiator actually do go on to fit all those cliches. Like in the background of key scenes you see that bald gladiator getting killed... the haired gladiator swearing revenge and catching the eye of the noblewoman, etc.

Sort of another story going on almost over the shoulders of everyone else that's going on in front of them and has almost nothing to do with the OOTS, and that comes to a humorous conclusion.

Lol -- like maybe they're PCs doing thier own seperate campaign in the same place. And thiers is actually the one that gets the most attention in the Arena. And meanwhile Belkar, Gannji and Roy are fighting out thier own story that nobody's paying attention to...

Yes, this is brilliant :).

The comic was not, perhaps, unexpected, but it was hilarious nonetheless.

LuPuWei
2010-07-19, 10:24 AM
I love how Rich avoids casting the two as the sterotypical 'Champion/Challenger'. Belkar was expected, but Roy's comment was made of Win:smallsmile:

Also, introducing Belkar - Sexy Sandalled Bromance-Initiator...

Adeptus
2010-07-19, 10:25 AM
GE-NI-US! :elan:

Aerysil
2010-07-19, 10:35 AM
Good steady laughs in this one.

Well done!

Scarlet Knight
2010-07-19, 10:35 AM
:roy: "Well, we should be fine as long as we avoid the tough guys..."

:belkar: "Is that Victor Mature?"

:roy: " Where? Next to Kirk Douglas?"

:belkar: "No, behind Steve Reeves..."

:smalleek:

Anoria
2010-07-19, 10:37 AM
So, everyone keeps pointing out that they noticed the Airplane reference in the title, but did anyone else notice that there's a character wearing a fez, holding what's essentially a mop, and dealing with approximately-Romans? (It would have gone right past me too, if not for my fiancé pointing it out while reading over my shoulder.) I feel like it's not quite a coincidence.

filkin
2010-07-19, 10:49 AM
With all the references popping up so far, I'm still waiting for Belkar to say, "Cut me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

At least, I think that's the proper quote.

Teddy
2010-07-19, 10:54 AM
methinks the Giant is teasing us

Well, he might very well be. In the commentaries to DStP:
Rich tells us that he set up several deaths which Belkar might have caused just to fullfill his prophesy (all of them being quite dubious), just to cause speculation and uncertainity among us right until the end.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-07-19, 10:54 AM
slightly besides topic:

how would "sexy shoeless god of war" translate to Halfling (the language)

Bongos
2010-07-19, 10:59 AM
Which reminds me...I don't think we've seen snow ever (barring flashbacks/prequel books). Does that just not happen in the Stickverse, did it happen during the time skip, or is it just a huge pain in the ass to draw and thus we'll never see it?

Does order of the scribble count?

Snow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html)

...and technically, according to the diatribe, the guy that steals the bread only sets up the friendship with overtones. It will be the guy who kills the weak friend that suffers the revenge of the stronger friend.

So all Belkar has to do is not kill the weak guy and he'll be safe..........what am I saying? Belkar is doomed.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-07-19, 11:10 AM
Hahaha! Two scoops of funny in every panel! Thank you Giant!

I love the look of the overseer/drill sargeant guy ... especially the uneven stubble!

What will become of the sexy barefoot god of war in sandals? I think he'll kick off the restrictive footwear and destroy every prediction we make. (Except mine, of course.)

Monkey

Carduus
2010-07-19, 11:14 AM
So wait, where did Enor go? If the papers were lost, that would indict him too.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 11:25 AM
We need a Russell Crowe cameo.

rewinn
2010-07-19, 11:37 AM
Because it is a lawful society and Rule XVII(B)(2)(ix)(f) clearly states that all prisoners shall be provided foot gear and said foot gear shall be worn. (Emphasis added.)
Notice the lizardfolk gladiator wears a loincloth and the lizardfolk guard (panel 1) doesn't.

A lizard loincloth serves little purpose, but the LAW is to be OBEYED!

the_tick_rules
2010-07-19, 11:45 AM
Classic awesome in this strip.

deuxhero
2010-07-19, 11:48 AM
Hmm, I was just playing Gladius!

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 12:03 PM
That drill instructor sure knows a lot about genres. Could it be Elan or Tarquin in disguise?

Lupy
2010-07-19, 12:07 PM
I'm loving this already. The Gladiator references were great, and I love how Belkar played into his role as evil jerk so well.

LuPuWei
2010-07-19, 12:10 PM
We need a Russell Crowe cameo.

Arch-nemesis to Blackwing...

mjames
2010-07-19, 12:18 PM
So bets on whether this was more inspired by Gladiator or Spartacus?

New guess on Belkar's death, trips in sandals, killed by own weapon...

Wormwood74
2010-07-19, 12:20 PM
We're forgetting one classic Gladiator trope, and how it might fit in with the plot:

At the end of Spartacus, Spartacus and his best friend Antonius are forced to fight to the death, and the winner was to be crucified.

Roy is going to be forced to fight Belkar, and Roy will win, even though it means something they're going to do something really awful to Roy.

davre
2010-07-19, 12:43 PM
So, everyone keeps pointing out that they noticed the Airplane reference in the title, but did anyone else notice that there's a character wearing a fez, holding what's essentially a mop, and dealing with approximately-Romans? (It would have gone right past me too, if not for my fiancé pointing it out while reading over my shoulder.) I feel like it's not quite a coincidence.

So what's the reference? Is it another Airplane reference? It's been too long since I saw that for me to remember.

Shale
2010-07-19, 12:50 PM
If it's a reference to anything, it'd be to the latest Doctor Who, in which the Doctor travels back to Roman times wearing a fez and carrying a wide mop.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 01:01 PM
We're forgetting one classic Gladiator trope, and how it might fit in with the plot:

At the end of Spartacus, Spartacus and his best friend Antonius are forced to fight to the death, and the winner was to be crucified.

Roy is going to be forced to fight Belkar, and Roy will win, even though it means something they're going to do something really awful to Roy.

Wasn't Ben Hur also a gladiator film (I never saw it, but I do know there was a climatic chariot race at the end)?

Darcy
2010-07-19, 01:03 PM
Arch-nemesis to Blackwing...

oh, come on... :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-07-19, 01:14 PM
With all the references popping up so far, I'm still waiting for Belkar to say, "Cut me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

At least, I think that's the proper quote.

He's already said it here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0524.html

filkin
2010-07-19, 01:23 PM
Ah, yes! Of course I had forgotten.

hamishspence
2010-07-19, 01:27 PM
There's been a few Star Wars references prior to this arc:

V's "Give in to your anger"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0179.html

and Xykon's "Fear leads to anger"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0371.html

CrimsonAngel
2010-07-19, 01:39 PM
That isn't so bad. :smallsmile:

Elfin
2010-07-19, 02:12 PM
Now that is really, really funny.
Wow.

Deme
2010-07-19, 02:25 PM
That drill instructor sure knows a lot about genres. Could it be Elan or Tarquin in disguise?

No, probably not. But this is a nation run by Tarquin, which says that parts of the rules and regulations are written by a guy who lives by the cliche. Genre Savviness is likely mandatory in the empire of blood.

Wormwood74
2010-07-19, 02:28 PM
Wasn't Ben Hur also a gladiator film (I never saw it, but I do know there was a climatic chariot race at the end)?

There was a chariot race at the end, and a lot of people died in the chariot races (according to characters in the movie). However, Ben Hur wasn't a slave when he entered the race (he was earlier in the movie), and entered the race voluntarily.

The movie didn't involve any of the classic gladiator matches, though.

No, probably not. But this is a nation run by Tarquin, which says that parts of the rules and regulations are written by a guy who lives by the cliche. Genre Savviness is likely mandatory in the empire of blood.

I wonder if some of the other gladiators are there because they failed their Knowledge (Genre Tropes) roll.

St Fan
2010-07-19, 02:34 PM
So wait, where did Enor go? If the papers were lost, that would indict him too.

Gannji isn't there either, so we can only guess that they were indicted a bit later than Roy and Belkar, and thus will be in the next batch of new gladiators.

Also, Enor may be deemed too dangerous to be locked with the medium-sized convicts to be guarded by medium-sized soldiers, so he could be instead caged alongside the savage beasts the gladiators are supposed to fight, which has probably tighter security.

Niveus Candidus
2010-07-19, 02:41 PM
This was a Master-Level course in Genre Savvy. Required reading for the snarky amongst us.

Tundar
2010-07-19, 03:17 PM
Belkar in sandals cracks me up.

Darcy
2010-07-19, 03:26 PM
Gannji isn't there either, so we can only guess that they were indicted a bit later than Roy and Belkar, and thus will be in the next batch of new gladiators.

Also, Enor may be deemed too dangerous to be locked with the medium-sized convicts to be guarded by medium-sized soldiers, so he could be instead caged alongside the savage beasts the gladiators are supposed to fight, which has probably tighter security.

Isn't that Gannji beside Roy, there? I assume they took his mask like they took everyone else's clothing.

hamishspence
2010-07-19, 03:30 PM
Isn't that Gannji beside Roy, there? I assume they took his mask like they took everyone else's clothing.

Gannji looks a bit more mint-green than this guy, who's more brown-green:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html

It could be outdoor evening lighting though (The Rift made Redcloak's complexion look pasty) but it would surprise me if this was the case.

Darcy
2010-07-19, 03:36 PM
Gannji's teeth don't stick out like that either, hmm. Took me some searching to find him with his mouth closed, hahaha.

The MunchKING
2010-07-19, 03:44 PM
Notice the lizardfolk gladiator wears a loincloth and the lizardfolk guard (panel 1) doesn't.

A lizard loincloth serves little purpose, but the LAW is to be OBEYED!

You just made one small mistake...

He's Chaotic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0230.html)

FoE
2010-07-19, 03:48 PM
One of the best comics. Ever.
Laughed at almost every panel.

Oh indeed. What a delightful send-up of the classic "enslaved gladiator" plotline. Best comic in ages, Rich. :smallbiggrin:

I particularly liked "everyone here could use a lot less loin and a lot more cloth."

Bongos
2010-07-19, 04:03 PM
I predict when Enor and Gannji show up we'll have the former enemies unite under slave revolt schtick.

...but then that would be too predicatble.

InuSaga
2010-07-19, 04:22 PM
I officially have a most favoritest strip ever. Thanks, Giant. :biggrin:

Gift Jeraff
2010-07-19, 04:24 PM
Well, looks like R. Lee Ermey will now be mentioned in the "Who would you cast as who in OOTS" threads. :smallbiggrin:

And lovely Airplane! reference in the title. (Funniest movie ever, by the way.)

It could be outdoor evening lighting though (The Rift made Redcloak's complexion look pasty) but it would surprise me if this was the case.

Just as a side-note, the non-elven Western Continent appears to perpetually have an orange sky, not unlike the Redmountain Hills and Azure City, although it does become darker (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0697.html) at night (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0710.html).

Nighthawk4
2010-07-19, 04:51 PM
1. So did anyone guess who was going to be the bully who stole the bread?

:belkar:

2. How can he be the Sexy God of War in Sandals?

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-19, 05:30 PM
Hooray for plot savviness!

cyan-shine
2010-07-19, 05:45 PM
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! Hilarious!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

rewinn
2010-07-19, 06:33 PM
You just made one small mistake...

He's Chaotic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0230.html)

Belkar's chaotic, but he's not in charge.

It might bug him more that he has to wear sandals just to fulfill some silly rule, than it would were it an attempt to harm him.

===

Meanwhile .... what's Mr. Scruffy up to?

Gopher
2010-07-19, 06:45 PM
You know, after rereading Belkar's comment it just occurred to me: Why are all the gladiators male?

Darthteej
2010-07-19, 07:13 PM
You know, after rereading Belkar's comment it just occurred to me: Why are all the gladiators male?

You can't really tell with the lizardfolk, they don't possess recognizable "mammalian traits" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0676.html).

Alagaesian
2010-07-19, 07:21 PM
So, wait...there's a gladiator champion involved? As in, someone who has been locked up here for a very long time, but is still alive because he/she has been able to kill all the other prisoners?

Ten gold says it's a guy with red hair. Meaning, I think it's either going to be Ian or Girand. It would explain why a bunch of mook-crime-thugs are unable to get rid of whoever the champion is going to be. Either they go up against an epic-level illusionist and die due to their low Will saves, or they fall to the superior street-smarts of a rogue and get Sneak Attacked into oblivion.

Besides, imagine what happens to the plot if the champion is Ian. He comes out and the crowd cheers for him wildly. Opponents run out at him a couple at a time, but due to rapid XP gain being part of a gladiator's job description, he is able to kill them all. Haley becomes excited since she has now finally found her father. Then, the two strongest prisoners come out for the final climactic fight. Roy and Belkar, of course. Cue dramatic music, intense battle scene, and wildly escalating plot tension.

Or, if the champion is Girand, replace the music with an 'Oh crap they're gonna die!' moment.

DoctorJest
2010-07-19, 07:26 PM

No, you inferred a connection there that isn't made

The weaker guy will get his bread stolen, and then will be killed. It never says that the guy who steals his bread and the guy who kills him are the same person, nor implies that. Only that the guy who defended him when his bread was stolen will kill the guy who kills the weaker gladiator, who is not necessarily the guy who stole his bread.

Got it? :)

calar
2010-07-19, 07:31 PM
Ahhh, yet another reason to love Belkar.

Acero
2010-07-19, 08:14 PM
wait, why is the warlock there? Did his papers not fill out?

Well, they do need someone to kill Belkar

Dancing_Fox
2010-07-19, 08:28 PM
If you're outside of America, you may know the "Airplane" movie by different names.

There is probably no way that you could have avoided knowing this, but still . . . from http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Airplane!

"Airplane! had an interesting reception outside the U.S. Its translated titles carry sly comment on the nature of the film. For example, in Australia it is titled Flying High; in Germany, it became The Unbelievable Flight in a Crazy Airplane (Die unglaubliche Reise in einem verrückten Flugzeug) [5]; in French, Is There a Pilot on the Plane? (Y a-t-il un pilote dans l'avion?)[5]; in Portuguese (for release in Brazil), Fasten your seatbelts, the pilot is gone (Apertem os cintos, o piloto sumiu); in Italian, it's The craziest plane in the world (L'aereo più pazzo del mondo); in Finnish, it's Hey, we're flying! (Hei, me lennetään!); in Spanish, it was Land if you can (Aterriza como puedas) in Spain and And where is the pilot? (¿Y dónde está el piloto?) in Latin America; in Norway it became Help, we're flying (Hjelp, vi flyr); in Swedish it's Look, we're flying (Titta vi flyger)."

Just a bit of trivia, as you only need to know the movie, and not the movie name, to get the joke. (If you remember that detail . . . which admittedly I didn't.)

Morgan Wick
2010-07-19, 08:29 PM
As the kids say, I lolled.

I could see a title reference, certainly.

I rather doubt it, I don't think Belkar will be killed for a cheap joke about gladiator movie clichés. In Belkars Word, more plot essential characters than [the gladiator guy] have tried and failed.

QFT. For Belkar to die here would be too obvious and in too plot-irrelevant a way. Besides, we all know how much Rich loves subverting tropes. I could, however, see this being the start of Belkar actually ingratiating himself to the rest of the OOTS.

:haley:: We've got to save Roy!
:elan:: And Belkar.
:haley:: Right, and Belkar.

Larkspur
2010-07-19, 09:46 PM
That was hilarious.

Poor Belkar had better watch out for the inevitable training montage, or he's going to get sunburned again.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-07-19, 09:49 PM
So, wait...there's a gladiator champion involved? As in, someone who has been locked up here for a very long time, but is still alive because he/she has been able to kill all the other prisoners?

Ten gold says it's a guy with red hair. Meaning, I think it's either going to be Ian or Girand. It would explain why a bunch of mook-crime-thugs are unable to get rid of whoever the champion is going to be. Either they go up against an epic-level illusionist and die due to their low Will saves, or they fall to the superior street-smarts of a rogue and get Sneak Attacked into oblivion.

Besides, imagine what happens to the plot if the champion is Ian. He comes out and the crowd cheers for him wildly. Opponents run out at him a couple at a time, but due to rapid XP gain being part of a gladiator's job description, he is able to kill them all. Haley becomes excited since she has now finally found her father. Then, the two strongest prisoners come out for the final climactic fight. Roy and Belkar, of course. Cue dramatic music, intense battle scene, and wildly escalating plot tension.

Or, if the champion is Girand, replace the music with an 'Oh crap they're gonna die!' moment.

This would be awesome.

Secris
2010-07-19, 10:00 PM
I'll throw in my two cents with those who don't buy the guy standing up for the guy getting picked on by Belkar will be the one to kill Belkar. It's just way too obvious, I think it's more likely Rich is just poking fun at us.

Aldrakan
2010-07-19, 10:43 PM
What concerns me is that the prisoner who defends the weaker one is always the main character. Which should be Roy. But since Roy didn't do it, does that mean that he's lost his main character status, at least for the duration of the gladiatorial subplot? Relegated to a minor character while random guy the bread defender rallies the gladiators.

AgentofOdd
2010-07-19, 10:48 PM
Stealing something he won't even eat... Oh Belkar how I loathe love thee.

Gift Jeraff
2010-07-19, 10:48 PM
I can't believe that people honestly think Belkar is going to die in the arena. His relationship with Mr. Scruffy obviously has more potential, there's obviously more to his faked character development than just "Not buying it -___-", this book is obviously going to have Belkar on the cover, and we're not even halfway through!

Red XIV
2010-07-19, 11:09 PM
Yeah, the idea of Belkar's (permanent) death coming as a result of a one-off gag about gladiator movies seems a tad unlikely.

snikrept
2010-07-19, 11:30 PM
This one was AWESOME.

but where are Gannji and Enor?!

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-20, 12:05 AM
wait, why is the warlock there?
He's not.

No, you inferred a connection there that isn't made

The weaker guy will get his bread stolen, and then will be killed. It never says that the guy who steals his bread and the guy who kills him are the same person, nor implies that. Only that the guy who defended him when his bread was stolen will kill the guy who kills the weaker gladiator, who is not necessarily the guy who stole his bread.

Got it? :)
Read Jimor's post again. He essentially said the same thing you just did (minus the rather patronising sign-off, that is).

Kumo
2010-07-20, 12:23 AM
What concerns me is that the prisoner who defends the weaker one is always the main character. Which should be Roy. But since Roy didn't do it, does that mean that he's lost his main character status, at least for the duration of the gladiatorial subplot? Relegated to a minor character while random guy the bread defender rallies the gladiators.

He's the main character of A plot. Know what that A doesn't stand for? ALL. :smalltongue:

Jokes aside. :smallannoyed: He doesn't have to be the main character of every single plotline that happens to turn up. The gladiator arena is it's own seperate plotline from the gates thing and thus Roy doesn't have any reason to be the main guy.

Witty Username
2010-07-20, 12:44 AM
All this talk of Belkar's fate make me wonder if their is a separate thread for that.

I bet the sandals are cursed. :belkar::smallfurious:

DrivinAllNight
2010-07-20, 12:55 AM
Stealing something he won't even eat... Oh Belkar how I loathe [S]love[S/] thee.

let me fix this for you :)

Stealing something he won't even eat... Oh Belkar how I LOAF thee!!

Dvandemon
2010-07-20, 01:20 AM
I really like the design of this guy, probably the most detailed OoTS character i've ever seen. Funniest strip i've read this month

But the law of chance states that eventually they will succeed

ShippoWildheart
2010-07-20, 02:05 AM
I could almost see the sun being blocked out by a lampshades. Thousands of them. :tongue:

Garwain
2010-07-20, 03:27 AM
I agree. The Champ will be Ian.

But how is this story arc going to connect to Girard? I don't know....

kerberos
2010-07-20, 03:50 AM
I really like the design of this guy, probably the most detailed OoTS character i've ever seen. Funniest strip i've read this month

But the law of chance states that eventually they will succeed

The law of plot>>>>>The law of chance.

binyamin20
2010-07-20, 07:51 AM
I can hear the laughter of the fanservice thread people...

Phishfood
2010-07-20, 07:57 AM
I could almost see the sun being blocked out by a lampshades. Thousands of them. :tongue:

Then we will fight in the (lamp)shade!

Darcy
2010-07-20, 10:00 AM

This crossed my mind briefly, but I wasn't sure if I was reading it right. Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that. Woooooo! PLAWT

Fable Wright
2010-07-20, 10:06 AM
Either of those would leave him in the world. He's not going to be.

(Also, he's already a nonhuman living creature.)

Yeah. I really want Belkar to stay alive. I'm just listing ideas that may keep Belkar alive while fulfilling the prophesy. And I meant a nonhumanoid, not a nonhuman.

sol-decentguy
2010-07-20, 11:50 AM
This was a really fun chapter, although I do think its a little early to be speculating about Belkars death, if anything we are going to see all the gladiator tropes destroyed beyond means. I do wonder whats going to happen to bring everyone together.

Red XIV
2010-07-20, 01:26 PM

I tend to doubt that anybody in the Empire of Blood is strong enough to hold an Epic level character like Girard against his will. Even if his specialty is illusions, he's still Epic.

The MunchKING
2010-07-20, 01:33 PM
I tend to doubt that anybody in the Empire of Blood is strong enough to hold an Epic level character like Girard against his will. Even if his specialty is illusions, he's still Epic.

Maybe he's there because he wants to be though.

What better disguise for an Epic level illusionist bent on protecting all of reality than an slightly above average caster in a gladatorial slave pits?? Noone would suspect Gerard of the Pits was really Gerard of the Order of the Scribble, Defender of Gerard's Gate, unless like us, they were filled in on the whole backstory.

rewinn
2010-07-20, 02:44 PM
Then we will fight in the (lamp)shade!:mitd: We can fight in the shade?

:smallcool:OMG! you've just revealed that the MiTD is ...... 300 Spartans! :smalltongue:

Scarlet Knight
2010-07-20, 05:26 PM
let me fix this for you :)

Stealing something he won't even eat... Oh Belkar how I LOAF thee!!

If they have Belkar battle a wild beast, it better not be something edible....:smallwink:

:roy: "It's a Dire Boar!"

:belkar: "Luau!"

Tobimaro
2010-07-20, 06:55 PM
Yep, like it that Belkar can take sound advice from Roy and turn it completely around. Might as well get that shirt with the concentric circles (aka bulls-eye) ready for the Belkster. :smallamused:

The Anarresti
2010-07-20, 09:17 PM
Maybe he's there because he wants to be though.

What better disguise for an Epic level illusionist bent on protecting all of reality than an slightly above average caster in a gladatorial slave pits?? Noone would suspect Gerard of the Pits was really Gerard of the Order of the Scribble, Defender of Gerard's Gate, unless like us, they were filled in on the whole backstory.

Probably a better disguise is: Being invisible. In an invisible fortress. Under a visible mountain.
This way, you are less likely to be annoyed by low-level stabby wounds, and you can do research and such, because we all know that all wizards spend their free time doing nothing but research.
Or maybe he could be painting with light. Who knows? The point is, if I was Gerard, no matter how pathetic a threat these low-level gladiators are, getting repeatedly stabbed and having to kill people is not nearly as fun as, say, turning invisible and walking into a woman's dressing room. Or annoying the hell out of any paladins who happen to be around.
Now, Ian I could see as the champion. But Gerard? Never.

Kairamek
2010-07-20, 11:01 PM
I know some of you beat me to it, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

"I gots an order fer tree dozen lampshades? I dun wanna know what you's gonna do with dem out here in the glaring sun."

St Fan
2010-07-21, 06:37 AM
Probably a better disguise is: Being invisible. In an invisible fortress. Under a visible mountain.
This way, you are less likely to be annoyed by low-level stabby wounds, and you can do research and such, because we all know that all wizards spend their free time doing nothing but research.
Or maybe he could be painting with light. Who knows? The point is, if I was Gerard, no matter how pathetic a threat these low-level gladiators are, getting repeatedly stabbed and having to kill people is not nearly as fun as, say, turning invisible and walking into a woman's dressing room. Or annoying the hell out of any paladins who happen to be around.

First, it's Girard.

And second, I am unsure the previous hypothesis you were reponding too was even supposed to be taken with the slightest hint of seriousness. Too many here seem to like just throwing around completely ridiculous theories that are just begging to be simply ignored without a second glance.

Dilvish
2010-07-21, 08:31 PM
The Oracle never says how Belkar is supposed to die. Therefore, why assume he dies in combat, or even violently? This is Belkar. In my view, he dies surrounded by food and loose women, just the way he may want to go. :)

Kumo
2010-07-21, 09:19 PM
The Oracle never says how Belkar is supposed to die. Therefore, why assume he dies in combat, or even violently? This is Belkar. In my view, he dies surrounded by food and loose women, just the way he may want to go. :)

Read what i over'stuffed with the thing whose collective name i can't remember again.

This IS belkar: the guy who kills, lies, cheats and steals whenever the thought to do it crosses his mind and would probably lie if it did nothing to help him, hurt anyone or was funny, and would definitely lie if any of those end up being true.

This is the guy who
On the originspulls out knives in a bar brawl between drunken friends.

The guy who went borderline homosexual because he wanted to squick roy out.

The guy who killed goblins trying to surrender.

The guy who-

You see the point?

brilliantlight
2010-07-21, 09:46 PM
I'm not so sure about belkar dying just yet. Now that he stole the other guys bread, he has entered another part of the game we call civila- *hm* society, but as his hallusinations told him to, Deaths lil' helper has taken a new approach: he cheats instead of not playing. So all i can say is: this is going to be interesting :smallsmile:

I didn't think of that but Rich could do that to fool us but Belkar has to be dying soon his time is running out.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-21, 10:04 PM
This is the guy who
On the originspulls out knives in a bar brawl between drunken friends.

The guy who went borderline homosexual because he wanted to squick roy out.

The guy who killed goblins trying to surrender.

The guy who-

You see the point?
Not sure I do. You appear to be saying that "going borderline homosexual" is as bad as killing innocent people.

Is there even such a thing as borderline homosexual? Surely you either are or you aren't, and Roy was a woman at the time. Belkar was just pretending not to know who it was. FOR A JOKE.

Even assuming Roy returned his advances and they started going at it right there and then, that would still be male-on-female action. There was nothing homosexual there, borderline or otherwise - and in any case it's certainly nowhere near as bad as pretty much everything else Belkar has ever done.

Kumo
2010-07-21, 11:22 PM
Not sure I do. You appear to be saying that "going borderline homosexual" is as bad as killing innocent people.

Is there even such a thing as borderline homosexual? Surely you either are or you aren't, and Roy was a woman at the time. Belkar was just pretending not to know who it was. FOR A JOKE.

Even assuming Roy returned his advances and they started going at it right there and then, that would still be male-on-female action. There was nothing homosexual there, borderline or otherwise - and in any case it's certainly nowhere near as bad as pretty much everything else Belkar has ever done.

The fact he was flirting with someone who was a guy was homosexual. The fact he was doing it just to creep him out is why it's borderline. But that's not really the point.

Moreover, you seem to have completely missed the point of that post in favor of picking apart what i said in an effort to find something be offended about.

(the real reason i stopped was because i realized i wasn't going anywhere with the homo thing and was trying to think of more things he'd done wrong that involved knives... here we go.)

The guy who stabbed the oracle on a whim.

The guy who stabbed a random gnome on a whim.

The guy who has two evil sides and a slaad instead of a demon and a devil.

The guy who saved Hinjo so he could stab people in barfights.

The guy who ripped a bug's head off and peed down his throat hole.

THE POINT, sir, is that Divilish was implying a man whose first response to just about everything is 'ladel on the violence' dieing in a battle is hard to assume.

But I'll concede that thee gender changing belt incident didn't help that case at all.

klickmrmonsuer
2010-07-22, 02:27 AM
y'know personally Belkars going to probably have a rival in this chapter

but on the him dying thing I have three theories

1.he dies and gets revived like roy did
2.he'll die in an ironic manner and and have regrets and gets a character change
(chances of that 1,000,000,000 to 1)
3. he doesn't die at all because of timelines and such

LuPuWei
2010-07-22, 05:42 AM
Rich will probably have Belkar die and get resurrected at least once before his "Death" just to make things more unpredictable... Though hopefully nothing as severe as Roy's case.

St Fan
2010-07-22, 07:06 AM
Rich will probably have Belkar die and get resurrected at least once before his "Death" just to make things more unpredictable... Though hopefully nothing as severe as Roy's case.

A Red Herring Death?

kusje
2010-07-22, 07:48 AM
The fact he was flirting with someone who was a guy was homosexual. The fact he was doing it just to creep him out is why it's borderline. But that's not really the point.

A male mind in the female body is a female.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 08:50 AM
The fact he was flirting with someone who was a guy was homosexual.
Belkar = male.
Roy = female.

Not homosexual.

The fact he was doing it just to creep him out is why it's borderline.
Even if they were both male, and even if Belkar was sincere in his advances, AT BEST that would make Belkar vaguely bi-curious. But since none of that happened, and Belkar was just making a joke, then that's not the case.

Moreover, you seem to have completely missed the point of that post in favor of picking apart what i said in an effort to find something be offended about.
I got your point; you just made it badly and said something ridiculously homophobic, not to mention flat-out wrong, in the process. I was never offended, just felt you needed correcting. :smalltongue:

(the real reason i stopped was because i realized i wasn't going anywhere with the homo thing and was trying to think of more things he'd done wrong that involved knives... here we go.)

The guy who stabbed the oracle on a whim.

The guy who stabbed a random gnome on a whim.

The guy who has two evil sides and a slaad instead of a demon and a devil.

The guy who saved Hinjo so he could stab people in barfights.

The guy who ripped a bug's head off and peed down his throat hole.

THE POINT, sir, is that Divilish was implying a man whose first response to just about everything is 'ladel on the violence' dieing in a battle is hard to assume.

But I'll concede that thee gender changing belt incident didn't help that case at all.
Better. :smallamused:

Kumo
2010-07-22, 09:43 AM
Belkar = male.
Roy = male in female body.

Fixed.

Even if they were both male, and even if Belkar was sincere in his advances, AT BEST that would make Belkar vaguely bi-curious. But since none of that happened, and Belkar was just making a joke, then that's not the case.Bor. Der. LINE.

I got your point; you just made it badly and said something ridiculously homophobic, not to mention flat-out wrong, in the process. I was never offended, just felt you needed correcting. :smalltongue:I am homophobic >.> Sorry for letting it cloud my actions, it was unintentional. And if i made the point badly how do you know it was the point i was trying to make

Better. :smallamused:Thank you

A male mind in the female body is a female.

You do know i used 'borderline' because Roy was in a female body, right?

Darcy
2010-07-22, 09:56 AM
It doesn't matter what body Roy was in- Belkar was not sexually attracted to him, he was just trying to get under his skin. Sexual orientation doesn't vary depending on whom you pretend to dig.

Kumo
2010-07-22, 10:00 AM
It doesn't matter what body Roy was in- Belkar was not sexually attracted to him, he was just trying to get under his skin. Sexual orientation doesn't vary depending on whom you pretend to dig.

What part of 'borderline' is so hard to understand? The fact he was just pretending is why it isn't homo :smallannoyed:

Darcy
2010-07-22, 10:13 AM
"Borderline" does not mean "pretend." If he had lost interest in women, and then discovered his appreciation for the masculine beauty of Roy's male body, but finally concluded he was not interested in experimenting with male-on-male relations... that would be "borderline homosexual," because he is on the metaphorical "border" of developing genuine romantic feelings towards a member of his own sex. As it is, he has no interest in men at all, and apparently a strong appetite for the ladies. That's not borderline. That's right in the middle of Straightsville.

"Borderline" means it's very close to the real thing, but the difference between pretending for the sake of a joke and actually being gay is pretty profound. It's like the difference between playing a doctor on TV and actually being a doctor.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 10:18 AM
What part of 'borderline' is so hard to understand? The fact he was just pretending is why it isn't homo :smallannoyed:
"Borderline" means "hard to make a call one way or the other", "could go either way", et cetera. Belkar was PRETENDING. There's nothing "borderline" about it, no matter how many times you keep repeating it.

There was nothing - repeat, nothing homosexual about Belkar's actions there. And even if there was, the fact that you think it warrants mentioning alongside wanton acts of destruction beggars belief.

Barstro
2010-07-22, 10:32 AM
but on the [Blekar] dying thing I have three theories

2.he'll die in an ironic manner and and have regrets and gets a character change
(chances of that 1,000,000,000 to 1)

So, it's certain? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html)

Kumo
2010-07-22, 11:14 AM
"Borderline" means "hard to make a call one way or the other", "could go either way", et cetera. Belkar was PRETENDING. There's nothing "borderline" about it, no matter how many times you keep repeating it.'Borderline' means 'nearly'. The only detail that keeps it from not being is that Belkar was doing it purely to squick him out.

The latter part being the reason i put it there. :smallannoyed: Did i not make that clear enough?

There was nothing - repeat, nothing homosexual about Belkar's actions there.:smallsigh: BORDERLINE. See above.

And even if there was, the fact that you think it warrants mentioning alongside wanton acts of destruction beggars belief.

Read my post from the last page again because i'm not in the mood to apologize a second time, particularly when you ignore the reason for putting it down mentioned above and seem to insist i did it purely out of my homophobia :smallannoyed:

Darcy
2010-07-22, 11:24 AM
But pretending isn't "nearly", it's "not at all."

Kumo
2010-07-22, 11:30 AM
But pretending isn't "nearly", it's "not at all."

Yes, it is :smallannoyed: If you don't think so there is no point in discussing this any further, nor will I.

GOOD. FRIGGEN. DAY.

Darcy
2010-07-22, 11:50 AM
Exercise a little critical thinking.

If a guy accidentally touches another guy's leg, butt, whatever, is he "borderline gay"?
If a doctor routinely puts things up his male patients' butts as part of a medical procedure, is that "borderline gay"?
If a male prisoner or captive is forced under duress to sexually service his captors or fellow prisoners, is that "borderline gay"?

No, because sexuality isn't measured by what you do, but by how you feel. All those things superficially resemble homosexual activity, but they lack the actual desire. One's exclusive sexual desire for members of one's own sex is the sole criteria for determining a homosexual orientation. If a man is not approaching the actual desire to have sex with another man, he is not approaching homosexuality.

Like, if I hate cats, but I pretend to like cats to impress my boss, that doesn't make me a "borderline cat lover," that makes me a liar. My actual feelings towards cats have not changed.

Kumo
2010-07-22, 12:06 PM
blah blah argue blah

I did SAY i wasn't going to discuss this anymore :smallannoyed: No matter how much i want to.

Darcy
2010-07-22, 12:11 PM
You've failed to make any kind of persuasive argument, you just keep insisting that pretending to be something is almost the same as being it. I'm attempting to illustrate how that's not the case. Sorry that you're unable to elaborate.

Kumo
2010-07-22, 12:16 PM
Not. talking. about. this. GOOD. DAY.

Darcy
2010-07-22, 12:23 PM
But clearly determined to have the last word.

And: go!

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 01:16 PM
Ah, Kumo, I do so love our little chats. Always so productive.

Anyway, some hilarious homoerotic highlights from Belkar-the-Nearly-Gay for us all to enjoy:

Admitting to his team he feels insecure about his sexuality! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0244.html)

Revelling in Elan's nakedness! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)

Cluelessly spurning the advances of the ladies! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html)

Checking out the buff gladiators! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html)

Kumo
2010-07-22, 01:16 PM
Ah, Kumo, I do so love our little chats.

:smalleek: WE NEED A DOCTOR!!

Wiffleboy
2010-07-22, 01:30 PM

Nuts now I have to go back and re-read what the Oracle said just to make sure.

The MunchKING
2010-07-22, 01:49 PM
The point is, if I was Gerard, no matter how pathetic a threat these low-level gladiators are, getting repeatedly stabbed and having to kill people is not nearly as fun as, say, turning invisible and walking into a woman's dressing room. Or annoying the hell out of any paladins who happen to be around.

HE was two weapon fighter in addition to a master illusionist. He might just like killing people.

Kumo
2010-07-22, 01:49 PM
Ah, Kumo, I do so love our little chats. Always so productive.

Anyway, some hilarious homoerotic highlights from Belkar-the-Nearly-Gay for us all to enjoy:

Admitting to his team he feels insecure about his sexuality! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0244.html)

Revelling in Elan's nakedness! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html)

Cluelessly spurning the advances of the ladies! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html)

Checking out the buff gladiators! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html)

First, i was referring to one act. :smallannoyed: Second, I told you im not discussing this ANYMORE. So stop trying.

FlawedParadigm
2010-07-22, 01:50 PM
I dunno, me personally? I'm expecting Belkar's death to either 1) end up with some kind of prophecy twist - although this is really more 75% hope, 25% expectation - or 2) be the single most emotional event in the comic to date, and maybe be in the top 3 of the whole strip by the end. Something that casts his character in an entirely different light, or makes people almost forgive some of his worst moments, et cetera.

From a pure time perspective there's been more build-up to this event than any other in the strip so far excepting the eventual confrontation with the Snarl or very nearly the Snarl. We've been reminded of it at least three times over the course of hundreds of strips. Rich has so far masterfully avoided any disappointing anti-climaxes (his worst offender was the Samantha + Bandit leader deaths) and I don't think this will be the first time he goes that route.

It's going to be a moment to remember, and debate, and cause great discussions about Belkar for at least months after. He's not going to blow it on a cheap gag. Seeing as how the only way it could be put into this arc at the moment would involve being horribly predictable, and Rich loathes to be predicted, I don't think it's going to happen in this arc at all. I'm thinking more like comic 800 or 900. Depends how much time passes in the next hundred and sixty or so strips. Hardly a week passed in the first 165, if even that long, and we had a three and a half month time skip over the course of a dozen comics.

It'll be awesome, though. Too much foreshadowing for it not to be.

The MunchKING
2010-07-22, 01:53 PM
First, i was referring to one act. :smallannoyed: Second, I told you im not discussing this ANYMORE.

See you all sunday.

For not discussing it, you seem to be coming back and talking about it alot... :smallbiggrin:

Kumo
2010-07-22, 01:54 PM
For not discussing it, you seem to be coming back and talking about it alot... :smallbiggrin:

By saying 'i'm not discussing this anymore?' :smallannoyed:

The MunchKING
2010-07-22, 02:06 PM
By saying 'i'm not discussing this anymore?' :smallannoyed:

Yup. You can't just let it die. You've got to keep coming back to defend what you said, even if all your saying is "I'm not talking about it anymore, quit trying to tear my argument to shreds when I said I'm not going to play along."

Kumo
2010-07-22, 02:07 PM
Yup. You can't just let it die. You've got to keep coming back to defend what you said, even if all your saying is "I'm not talking about it anymore, quit trying to tear my argument to shreds when I said I'm not going to play along."

If you would just stop talking to me it WOULD die.

EDIT: No, screw it, i don't care. :smallsigh:

The MunchKING
2010-07-22, 02:08 PM
If you would just stop talking to me it WOULD die.

Nah, there's still nimrod's Son and Darcy. I'm just pointing out the illogic of your behavior, not your arguements.

FoE
2010-07-22, 02:47 PM
Clearly, when Belkar picked up a pair of hookers in Origin of PCs, he took them back to the local inn and lectured them at length on the ethical ramifications of their chosen profession.

Kumo
2010-07-22, 02:53 PM
Clearly, when Belkar picked up a pair of hookers in Origin of PCs, he took them back to the local inn and lectured them at length on the ethical ramifications of their chosen profession.

Your sarcasm is noted. Your relevance is questioned. See? this smiley indicates questioning. :smallconfused:

FoE
2010-07-22, 02:58 PM
Your sarcasm is noted. Your relevance is questioned. See? this smiley indicates questioning. :smallconfused:

Oh, it's not relevant to the discussion. It's just amusing to point out.

But back to your earlier point. Ignoring the fact that he was doing it just to make Roy uncomfortable, how was Belkar was acting kind of gay by flirting with Roy when he happened to be a woman at the time?

I wasn't aware that "hitting on girls" was on the list of "gayest things ever."

Kumo
2010-07-22, 03:14 PM
:smallannoyed:

Not. Discussing.

Dancing_Fox
2010-07-22, 07:23 PM

Not. Discussing.

So agreed. Can we all drop this before we reach needing mods?

Me? I'm just waiting for the next comic to see what happens.

RndmNumGen
2010-07-22, 07:47 PM

Not. Discussing.

It's easier to not discuss something by ignoring it than by repeatedly saying you're not discussing it, because in doing so you are inadvertently discussing.

If you just plain don't respond, there is no discussion, is there?

BillyJimBoBob
2010-07-22, 08:19 PM
I officially claim cred for correctly predicting that Belkar's enjoyment of the arena would be heavily tempered by his gear set.

[...] sandals. I mean, seriously."

Belsirk
2010-07-22, 08:52 PM
Any chance that elan will give his vote about Roy/Belkar been feeding to the lions ?

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 10:27 PM
Second, I told you im not discussing this ANYMORE. So stop trying.
Oh please, I gave up on actually discussing anything with you months ago, when you made it abundantly clear that your one and only response to being challenged is basically "LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU".

If you think I'll ever refrain from pointing out whenever you post something so massively wrong-headed, though, I'm afraid you're tragically mistaken. :smallsmile:

Detrinex
2010-07-22, 10:29 PM
One thing is clearly obvious: The guy with the whip in charge of the gladiators is correct on his story, if not slightly accurate. It's likely that Belkar's prophesied death will occur at this point.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 10:38 PM
One thing is clearly obvious: The guy with the whip in charge of the gladiators is correct on his story, if not slightly accurate. It's likely that Belkar's prophesied death will occur at this point.
The guy with the whip didn't say anything about the bread-stealer dying, though.

Unless Rich for some reason extends the gladiator arc beyond the next ten strips or so, I hearby swear to eat all my own skin if Belkar dies in the arena.

The MunchKING
2010-07-22, 10:44 PM
The guy with the whip didn't say anything about the bread-stealer dying, though.

Unless Rich for some reason extends the gladiator arc beyond the next ten strips or so, I hearby swear to eat all my own skin if Belkar dies in the arena.

*gets a sniper to shoot Belkar while he's in the arena*

Now that I want to see.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 10:51 PM
Now that I want to see.
No one wants to see that, man. 'cept Kumo, maybe.

Don't let me down here, Burlew, 'K?

The MunchKING
2010-07-22, 10:52 PM
No one wants to see that, man. 'cept Kumo, maybe.

You eating your own skin?? Sounds hillarious.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 10:54 PM
You eating your own skin?? Sounds hillarious.
Aunt Judy? Is that you?

Undeadsteak
2010-07-22, 11:14 PM

Do you not understand what the word borderline means? Borderline doesn't mean "pretends to be," contrary to your thinking.
Borderline means close to the border. Pretending to be attracted is not anyway close to the border of being homosexual.

LuPuWei
2010-07-23, 01:00 AM
*gets a sniper to shoot Belkar while he's in the arena*

Now that I want to see.

But alas, like Belkar's prophecy, he failed to mention when he would eat all of of his skin....

kusje
2010-07-23, 07:16 AM
Oh please, I gave up on actually discussing anything with you months ago, when you made it abundantly clear that your one and only response to being challenged is basically "LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU".

If you think I'll ever refrain from pointing out whenever you post something so massively wrong-headed, though, I'm afraid you're tragically mistaken. :smallsmile:

I hate you. You just made me waste an hour reading through Kumo's posting history. Hilarious though.

Darcy
2010-07-23, 09:26 AM
Nah, there's still nimrod's Son and Darcy. I'm just pointing out the illogic of your behavior, not your arguements.

Hey now, I actually did stop.

... crap! :smallbiggrin:

SoC175
2010-07-23, 04:48 PM
Actually he does the exact opposite, he tells them how secure he feels about his sexuality

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-23, 05:30 PM
Actually he does the exact opposite, he tells them how secure he feels about his sexuality

someone failed his/her spot sarcasm check:smallwink:

On topic: Loved the comic!!!! lampshading for the win!!!

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-23, 09:57 PM
Something tells me you're not really following this conversation. :smallsigh:

The MunchKING
2010-07-24, 12:26 AM
But alas, like Belkar's prophecy, he failed to mention when he would eat all of of his skin....

CURSES!!

That means I'd have to force feed it to him if I wanted to actually see it...

Well played!! You get to keep you skin it seems... :smallamused:

mootoall
2010-07-24, 01:17 PM
Wait a minute, what's up with the head gladiator dude's missing eye? It takes on the same white we see when the guards put on their helmets ... does that mean the helmets/his missing eye are somehow magic?