PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Make Prepared Casters More Spontaneous?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-19, 12:00 PM
I'm looking for feats, PrCs, and other abilities that give prepared casters a bit more on-the-spot versatility in their spell selection; a player of mine wants to play a prepared caster this time instead of a spontaneous caster for the much wider variety of spells available to them (as he's always paralyzed with indecision when faced with choosing spells known) but misses the spontaneous caster's ability to choose spells on the fly and doesn't want to have to rely on lots of scrolls to cover those corner-case utility spells. For arcane casters, I'm familiar with Alacritous Cogitation, Uncanny Forethought, Mage of the Arcane Order, Signature Spell, and Magelord; for divine casters, there's spontaneous cure/inflict/SNA spells, Domain Spontaneity, and the "spontaneously cast domain spells instead of cure/inflict spells" PHB2 sub level the name of which I don't recall at the moment.

All of those are good, but limited in either number of spells castable spontaneously, uses per day, or other ways, so I'm looking for more options to present him with as many suggestions as possible. Any ideas?

Morph Bark
2010-07-19, 12:01 PM
Would Reserve feats help and be somewhat what he/you is/are looking for?

Optimystik
2010-07-19, 12:06 PM
Easy - use Spell Points. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm)

A prepared caster under this system only ever has to prepare one copy of a given spell - then he can cast it as often as he has points to spend on it. Thus wizards are still rewarded for having a large repertoire, but not punished for having to think on their feet.

Sorcerers make up for the disadvantage by getting a larger point base.

ex cathedra
2010-07-19, 12:06 PM
Examine the feat Uncanny Forethought from Exemplars of Evil.

AmberVael
2010-07-19, 12:09 PM
Wizards can pick up Spontaneous Divination from Complete Champion, which is pretty amazing.

There's also the Amulet of Spell Conversion from Complete Mage.

Morph Bark
2010-07-19, 12:09 PM
Easy - use Spell Points. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm)

A prepared caster under this system only ever has to prepare one copy of a given spell - then he can cast it as often as he has points to spend on it. Thus wizards are still rewarded for having a large repertoire, but not punished for having to think on their feet.

Y'know, that reminds me... I always kinda thought Spell Point Wizards were even stronger than StP Erudites, barring the fact they still don't have access to powers that don't mimic arcane spells. :smallconfused:

Optimystik
2010-07-19, 12:12 PM
Y'know, that reminds me... I always kinda thought Spell Point Wizards were even stronger than StP Erudites, barring the fact they still don't have access to powers that don't mimic arcane spells. :smallconfused:

Well, one advantage the StP Erudite still has (besides having powers, as you mentioned) is the ability to ignore costly material components by paying extra PP.

Also, while there is no way to regain SP, there are many ways to regain PP.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-19, 12:16 PM
Would Reserve feats help and be somewhat what he/you is/are looking for?

Somewhat. The basic idea is to expand the number of spells/abilities he has available during play without having to be prepared, so reserve feats are one option, but something like Uncanny Forethought (cast anything from your spellbook) or MotAO (cast anything from the sorcerer/wizard list) would be preferable to something like Signature Spell (cast a single spell) or reserve feats (gain a single effect).

Well, this game is already in progress and has been using the standard system, so I don't think switching over to spell points would work. I'll keep that in mind for future games, though

Examine the feat Uncanny Forethought from Exemplars of Evil.

Already mentioned in the OP.

Wizards can pick up Spontaneous Divination from Complete Champion, which is pretty amazing.

Aha! I knew I was forgetting an ACF somewhere. Thanks.

There's also the Amulet of Spell Conversion from Complete Mage.

I'm away from my books; what does that do? I assume lets you swap out prepared spells X/day...like Rary's Spell Conversion, I believe it's called, another thing to add to the list.

Morph Bark
2010-07-19, 12:18 PM
Somewhat. The basic idea is to expand the number of spells/abilities he has available during play without having to be prepared, so reserve feats are one option, but something like Uncanny Forethought (cast anything from your spellbook) or MotAO (cast anything from the sorcerer/wizard list) would be preferable to something like Signature Spell (cast a single spell) or reserve feats (gain a single effect).

If it's the fact that it is only a single effect that is the problem, he could try going into Chameleon up to level 2 for the floating Bonus Feat that he can change every so often. Pick a different Reserve Feat whenever you change it, et voila.

After this he could go into a Theurge class, since if he just sticks to Divine Focus, he can cast 2nd level divine spells at level 2 of Chameleon.

Caliphbubba
2010-07-19, 12:27 PM
Is Ultimate Magus + Versatile Spellcaster an option? have the best of both worlds!

AmberVael
2010-07-19, 12:40 PM
I'm away from my books; what does that do? I assume lets you swap out prepared spells X/day...like Rary's Spell Conversion, I believe it's called, another thing to add to the list.

You can swap out one spell you have prepared as a full round action, once per day. You may exchange it for any spell of equal or lower level, but you have to have said spell in your spellbook (so no getting something you wouldn't normally be able to prepare).

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 12:48 PM
There are a couple of items in the MIC that do this. IIRC, the 7 Veils set does this, as does the Raiment of the Four. Raiment of the Four is particularly good with the Belt of the Wide Earth. Double carrying capacity and converts spells to Teleport is almost ALWAYS fun!

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-19, 12:56 PM
If it's the fact that it is only a single effect that is the problem, he could try going into Chameleon up to level 2 for the floating Bonus Feat that he can change every so often. Pick a different Reserve Feat whenever you change it, et voila.

An interesting idea. That goes back to the problem of having to choose things per day, but since it's unlimited use after that...we'll see.

After this he could go into a Theurge class, since if he just sticks to Divine Focus, he can cast 2nd level divine spells at level 2 of Chameleon.

Unfortunately you can't use chameleon foci to meet prerequisites.

Is Ultimate Magus + Versatile Spellcaster an option? have the best of both worlds!

Another interesting idea. Thanks.

You can swap out one spell you have prepared as a full round action, once per day. You may exchange it for any spell of equal or lower level, but you have to have said spell in your spellbook (so no getting something you wouldn't normally be able to prepare).

So...basically a more limited Alacritous Cogitation, then? Still, it's another use/day.

There are a couple of items in the MIC that do this. IIRC, the 7 Veils set does this, as does the Raiment of the Four. Raiment of the Four is particularly good with the Belt of the Wide Earth. Double carrying capacity and converts spells to Teleport is almost ALWAYS fun!

What else can be converted to aside from teleport with those?

AmberVael
2010-07-19, 12:58 PM
Er, it's basically exactly like Alacritous Cogitation, except you don't need to leave a slot open, and it's an item.

Don't forget Runestaves. Great items, if a bit expensive.

JaronK
2010-07-19, 12:59 PM
Shadowcraft Mage does it. Just take Signature Spell (Silent Image) and now you can default any spell you had to any Evocation, Conjuration (Summoning), or Conjuration (Creation) spell on the Wizard/Sorcerer list even if you don't know said spells. That's a LOT of versitility.

JaronK

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-19, 01:07 PM
Er, it's basically exactly like Alacritous Cogitation, except you don't need to leave a slot open, and it's an item.

I was thinking more limited in that you swap out a prepared spell for later rather than casting it immediately, but you're right, it does have its advantages.

Shadowcraft Mage does it. Just take Signature Spell (Silent Image) and now you can default any spell you had to any Evocation, Conjuration (Summoning), or Conjuration (Creation) spell on the Wizard/Sorcerer list even if you don't know said spells. That's a LOT of versitility.

JaronK

Another good one; don't know why I didn't think of that, what with the fame of the Killer Gnome and all.

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 01:16 PM
The only problem with the Signature Spell + Shadow Illusion trick is that you also have to take Rapid Metamagic from CArcane or suffer the loss of your move action. Signature Spells are technically spontaneous, and suffer the same casting time increases that Sorcerers or Clerics converting to cures have.

As far as what other spells you get, IIRC, another part of the Raiment of the Four gives you Fly, and another gives you Magic Missile. They are limited to a certain amount of times per day, as well, so you couldn't filter all of your slots through them turn them all into Fly. For more info, check out the MIC.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-19, 01:28 PM
As far as what other spells you get, IIRC, another part of the Raiment of the Four gives you Fly, and another gives you Magic Missile. They are limited to a certain amount of times per day, as well, so you couldn't filter all of your slots through them turn them all into Fly. For more info, check out the MIC.

Not bad, though not amazing. I'll take a look at my MIC when I get home tonight.

ImperiousLeader
2010-07-19, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer offers another option, readied spells. All spellcasters ready a number of spells and then cast them from their spell slots. So, for example, a wizard readies Sleep and Grease, and has 2 spell slots. He can cast Sleep twice, or each once, or maybe just Grease and a metamagic'ed 0th level spell. Sorcerers gain bonus spell slots, Wizards gain bonus Spells readied, Druids and Clerics fall on the base option.

gorfnab
2010-07-20, 08:47 AM
I posted something similar on a different message board, basically a wizard that works almost like a sorcerer.

Easy Bake No "Worries" Wizard

Elf, preferably Gray

Elf Wizard Racial Sub - Races of the Wild
Eidetic Spellcaster ACF - Dragon Magazine #357
Spontaneous Divination ACF - Complete Champion
Collegiate Wizard feat - Complete Arcane

1st Level - 7+ Int mod 1st level spells known, all cantrips, spontaneous divinations, 1 extra spell per day of highest level
No Familiar, No Scribe Scroll, No Spellbook

If flaws are available
Eschew Materials - Player's Handbook - mostly optional or if you foresee being in situations without basic gear
Precocious Apprentice + Reserve Feat: Melf's Acid Arrow + Acidic Splatter, Ice Knife + Winter's Blast, or Combust + Fiery Burst - Complete Arcane for Precocious and Complete Mage for Reserves
Sacred Vow + Vow of Poverty - Book of Exalted Deeds - depending on the campaign, this may work with this build

Note: Every level after 1st that advances wizard spellcasting gets you 5 spells known for free instead of the usual 2

Edit: If you're playing in Eberron, the feat Aerenal Arcanist (Player's Guide to Eberron) will net you an additional spell known per level netting you 8+Int mod spells at 1st level and 6 additional spells known every level after that.

Runestar
2010-07-20, 08:55 AM
Spontaneous divination - complete champion. Swap your 5th lv bonus feat for the ability to spontaneously cast any divination spell you know.

Ranos
2010-07-20, 08:56 AM
Versatile spellcaster is also useful for that, if you happen to have a level of spontaneous caster somehow.

Set
2010-07-20, 09:00 AM
There was a feat in the Scarred Lands setting called Arcane Trinity that allows a wizard to prepare three spells in the place of one spell, and designate them as a 'trinity.' At any point after preparation, he can cast any one of those spells, and that causes all three of them to be 'forgotten.'

Example: Skippy the Magnificent is a 1st level Wizard who can prepare 2 1st levels spells. He prepares a charm person in one 'slot,' and then uses Arcane Trinity to prepare mount, sleep and grease in the second slot. Later in the day, he casts grease, and loses preparation of mount and sleep as well, retaining only his charm person.

Back in 1st edition, in the pages of Dragon magazine, there was an article about a series of magic items that allowed one to cast a specific spell, but to activate them, you had to expend a spell of that same level. So the 'Focus' of magic missile would allow you to cast magic missile, by expending a prepared alarm or protection from evil or mount or whatever. A weaker version of this concept might require the arcanist to use a move-equivalent action to 'charge' the item, and then a standard action to cast the spell from it normally, making it a more laborious process than just freely spontaneously turning any 1st level slot into a magic missile.

AmberVael
2010-07-20, 09:09 AM
Oh, I just remembered one more alternate class feature, which is a bit odd and limited, but definitely adds some versatility.

Wizard of the Sun and Moon, from Dungeonscape. Very odd ACF. Essentially, you prepare spells twice in one slot per spell level. You can only cast one of the spells while underground, or during night, and you can only cast the other while above ground, during the day. Kind of limited, but it does help prepare for differing circumstances.

Cyclocone
2010-07-20, 09:32 AM
My personal favorite is Wyrm Wizard(DrM)/Halruaan Elder(SS) with Signature Spell: Arcane Fusion & Greater Arcane Fusion. Add Signature Spell +Twin Spell for extra shenanigans.
Alternatively, a Changeling with Racial Emulation could go Recaster(RoE)/Halruaan Elder instead.

For something less questionable, Signature Spell: Rary's Arcane Conversion.

There's also the Transmutable Memory ACF from UA.

maijstral
2010-07-20, 10:35 AM
If you're okay with your player going all out, I'd suggest Hathran (Player's Guide to Faerūn) with the spell Acorn of Far Travel.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-20, 10:55 AM
Magical Training (Sorcerer) -> Versatile Spellcaster -> Ultimate Magus

Magical Training qualifies you for Versatile Spellcaster without the need for Ultimate Magus, Ultimate Magus goes nicely with this combo anyways though since without an actual spontaneous casting class all of the benefits go towards your Wizard side.

Draz74
2010-07-20, 11:04 AM
Rainment of the Four does not actually give you Fly. It gives you Teleport, Freedom of Movement, Magic Missile, and Fireball.

And for similar effects with much more variety of available spells, of course, look up the whole Runestaves section of the book.

Theodoriph
2010-07-20, 11:05 AM
You're the DM. Houserule to suit your tastes (and his).

For instance...

Arcane Knowledge I
Prerequisites: Access to 3rd level arcane spells
Benefit: You gain intimate knowledge of 5 spells of 1st to 3rd level. Only one 3rd level spell may be selected. You may cast any of those 5 spells in lieu of a prepared spell of the same level. This feat may be taken multiple times.

Arcane Knowledge II
Prerequisites: Access to 6th level arcane spells
Benefit: You gain intimate knowledge of 4 spells of 1st to 6th level. Only one sixth level spell may be selected. You may cast any of those 3 spells in lieu of a prepared spell of the same level. This feat may only be taken twice.

Arcane Knowledge III
Prerequisites: Access to 9th level arcane spells
Benefit: You gain intimate knowledge of 3 spells of 1st to 9th level (one spell of each level). You may cast any of those 3 spells in lieu of a prepared spell of the same level. This feat may only be taken once.

The wording's a bit fuzzy but you get what I mean. Just muddle with the numbers to make it work and remove the prerequisite if it's too harsh.

Option 2:

Every level he may select one spell he knows that is 1 level lower than the highest level spell he can cast. From that point onward, he may swap out a prepared spell of the same level to cast that spell spontaneously. By level 20, that's 20 spells that he can cast spontaneously. Not too shabby. If you're in a mid-level campaign, that wouldn't be too bad of an option. If it's low level, it won't address his needs most likely.