PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Rome?

Octopus Jack
2010-07-19, 12:23 PM
Hey Guys, in just over 30 hours I will be heading off to Rome and the surrounding area and I have realised that there will be more free time, after doing touristy things, than I know what to do with there.

So I'm seeking your help to assist me with this issue, my plan for the moment involves walking round aimlessly wearing a bandana :smallcool:

Player_Zero
2010-07-19, 12:31 PM
Fight in the gladiatorial arena for fame and freedom.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-19, 12:34 PM
Do not get into Lines, they will take forever.

No, not even that one that's 2 people long at the taco stand.

KuReshtin
2010-07-19, 12:37 PM
Do as the Romans.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 12:39 PM
-Burn it down.
-Fight in gladiator matches.

Player_Zero
2010-07-19, 12:40 PM
Do as the Romans.

Godamnit... Why did I not think of this. I am shamed.

How about 'play the fiddle while starting fires'?

Bacon Barbarian
2010-07-19, 12:42 PM
Do not get into Lines, they will take forever.

No, not even that one that's 2 people long at the taco stand.

This is correct.

And eat well, it should be very easy to do :P

Cobalt
2010-07-19, 12:44 PM
How about 'play the fiddle while starting fires'?

I was about to say that. I was seriously about to say that.

Amiel
2010-07-19, 12:46 PM
Obtain a skateboard.

Skate along the aqueducts.

List of tourist attractions in Rome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tourist_attractions_in_Rome)
Tourism in Rome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Rome)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Colosseum-panoramic.view.jpg

KuReshtin
2010-07-19, 12:51 PM
Godamnit... Why did I not think of this. I am shamed.

It was a pretty obvious answer, and I am a bit surprised that you hadn't thought about it.

I know nothing about activities to do in Rome, though, so I'm of no further help in this thread, I'm afraid.
Not that my first post was of any help in the first place...

Dr. Bath
2010-07-19, 01:04 PM
Be raised by wolves.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-07-19, 02:03 PM
how much time are you going to be spending in Rome?

Octopus Jack
2010-07-19, 02:23 PM
how much time are you going to be spending in Rome?

Couple of days, I have a week in Italy, I'm already down for the touristy things so I'm looking for something different to do and I presumed that the playground is a font of obscure knowledge about everything.

These suggestions so far are very helpful keep them coming.

2010-07-19, 02:33 PM
Couple of days, I have a week in Italy, I'm already down for the touristy things so I'm looking for something different to do and I presumed that the playground is a font of obscure knowledge about everything.

These suggestions so far are very helpful keep them coming.

Well, in that case, my idea won't work for you, as you won't be there long enough. I'd probably just stick to the normal tourist stuff if that's all the longer you'll be there. What else are you planning on doing while in Italy if you don't mind me asking.

Octopus Jack
2010-07-19, 02:39 PM
Do the whole history/archaeology thing, go around Pompeii and the area around there, I'm not actually sure what else, i now have less than 30hours so I should really know this

Cealocanth
2010-07-19, 02:42 PM
When you unboard the train say "There's no place like Rome" or "This is SPARTA!!!!!" Even though you're nowhere near Sparta.

2010-07-19, 02:44 PM
Do the whole history/archaeology thing, go around Pompeii and the area around there, I'm not actually sure what else, i now have less than 30hours so I should really know this

In that case, you're going to be really disappointed you can't do my suggestion. I was going to suggest you go on the scavi tour (which is the tour of the tomb of St. Peter underneath St. Peter's Basillica). But since they only let 120 a day on said tour, you either need to set it up well in advance or be in town 3-4 weeks to get in. I'd say if you have the time you should try and visit a winery if there is one nearby where you're going to be, those tours are always great fun.

Spiryt
2010-07-19, 02:51 PM
Try some pizza in smaller, local place made by some really fat women.

At least I ate such pizza in Udine and it was really delicious.

Octopus Jack
2010-07-19, 02:52 PM
In that case, you're going to be really disappointed you can't do my suggestion. I was going to suggest you go on the scavi tour (which is the tour of the tomb of St. Peter underneath St. Peter's Basillica). But since they only let 120 a day on said tour, you either need to set it up well in advance or be in town 3-4 weeks to get in. I'd say if you have the time you should try and visit a winery if there is one nearby where you're going to be, those tours are always great fun.

Aww now I'm really disapointed, that sounds awesome. Next time I'm definetly doing that

Yora
2010-07-19, 02:52 PM
Do NOT go inside the Colosseum. It's completely overcroweded and you can't see a thing. If you're interested in seeing an amphitheatre, there are many more in Italy that are much better preserved, barely crowded, and also a lot cheapter to get inside.
That thing was the one great disappointment when we were in Rome.

Neaples is actually much more interesting than Rome. There's not only Popeii, which is really awsome, but you can also get to the nearby town Pozzuoli easily, that has among other things an active vulcano you can look at really close (though without glowing lava) and one of the mentioned amphitheatres. And right around the corner is Cumae, which had the second most famous oracle after Delphi, and at least 10 years ago, you could go right inside the cave were all the prophecy speaking took place.
And speaking of caves, Naples has awsome catacombs, which have really good guided tours. But you must not be fat if you want to go there. :smallbiggrin:

Cyrion
2010-07-19, 03:21 PM
If you're going to Pompeii and Naples, try to go to Herculaneum. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon a couple of years ago, and it was awesome (it helped that we had an amazing guide). I've been told that the difference between Pompeii and Herculaneum is that you won't see as many victims of the flesh-to-ash spell in Herculaneum, but that the city is overall better preserved.

As an interesting side trip in Naples- try to include a trip to the local cameo artisans. We did that on our way to Herculaneum, and we saw how the cameos are hand carved and got to see lots of different examples. Very interesting trip.

hamishspence
2010-07-19, 03:25 PM
I second Naples- when I went there I went to Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Solfatara Crater in Pozzuoli, and various museums- and enjoyed them all.

Assassin89
2010-07-19, 03:41 PM
I went to Rome once, but it was about ten years ago and I went inside the Colosseum. I also went to Florence and made a stop at Pisa to see the leaning tower.

Florence has several art museums, but I'm not sure whose work is there.

nihilism
2010-07-19, 04:04 PM
1: art art and more art

2: food

3: walk around on your own.

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-19, 04:39 PM
Do as the Romans.

I was thinking this too. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 04:42 PM
Try some pizza in smaller, local place made by some really fat women.

At least I ate such pizza in Udine and it was really delicious.

Stereotypes. How mature.

You should try to find a plumber and ask him to stomp on turtles.

Cobalt
2010-07-19, 04:48 PM

2: food

3: walk around on your own.

You forgot the 'Question Mark - Profit'; otherwise, the trip is a total waste. I mean, what's a trip to Italy if you don't do something questionmarkable and profit from it? I'll tell you what that is, that's a trip downtown.

And downtown isn't as fun as questionable activities in Italy. I believe I've made myself clear.

EDIT: @V: Well, now my comment seems much more ambiguous.

Rutskarn
2010-07-19, 04:49 PM
Do Romans.

Fixed that for you.

Spiryt
2010-07-19, 05:12 PM
Stereotypes. How mature.

You should try to find a plumber and ask him to stomp on turtles.

Eh....

I was in Udine. I ate pizza made by some REALLY fat chicks in some small, pretty dingy restaurant. I wasn't that sleepy to miss that details. :smalltongue:

It was really tasty.

On the other hand, pizza in some "better looking" place was pretty awful.

And that's it, not much place for "stereotypes", some humble facts from personal experience.

Your suggestion looks fun though.

Worira
2010-07-19, 05:24 PM
Never trust a skinny cook.

2010-07-19, 07:09 PM
you could always bring plague rats. everything is better with plague rats.

get an axe and some fur and some friends, maybe start off with some small scale mugging and see where it goes from there.

KenderWizard
2010-07-19, 08:10 PM
Oh man! I'm constantly waiting for people to ask that question!

So, there are two things in Rome to do that are simple, don't take much time, are really cool (I think, anyway), and are off the beaten track.

Thing the First: There is a church called the church of Santa Maria della Concezione, and it's on Via Vittorio Veneto. When we were there it was open from 9am-12 and from 3pm-6pm. They ask for a donation, there's also a little shop. It's a nice old building and you walk up some steps to get to the door. And the entire interior is decorated with bones. I think it's awesome. I suppose it'd be pretty awful if you were especially squeamish about bones, but it's startlingly beautiful for a very weird quirky place to visit. (The monks ran out of places to bury their dead.)

Thing the Second: This is a keyhole. A secret keyhole! I have included a secret map (http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr76/EmilyNeenan/Romemapkeyhole.jpg)! The secret instructions are as follows:
The keyhole is near the Colosseum.
Go to the Aventine Hill southwest of the Colosseum.
Find the church of Santa Sabina, and face it.
Walk to the left of it (apparently there are nice gardens to its right).
Continue to the end of the piazza, which I remember as being slightly uphill, and find the huge door of the Priory of the Knights of Malta.
Look through the keyhole.
The keyhole shows a secret view. The idea is if you know, you tell other people how to find it, but you don't tell them what they'll see. But it's awesome!

Thing the Third: This is an extra thing, that isn't so weird or secret. Eat the icecream, whatever chance you get. That's some GOOD icecream! :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 08:39 PM
Eh....

I was in Udine. I ate pizza made by some REALLY fat chicks in some small, pretty dingy restaurant. I wasn't that sleepy to miss that details. :smalltongue:

It was really tasty.

On the other hand, pizza in some "better looking" place was pretty awful.

And that's it, not much place for "stereotypes", some humble facts from personal experience.

Your suggestion looks fun though.

Still, the-Italians-make-good-pizza could be misconstrued as a stereotype so you can see my line of thinking.

babson99
2010-07-19, 08:55 PM
Bistecca alla Fiorentina, aka Florentine steak. It's a monstrous porterhouse from a specific breed of cattle, grilled over a wood fire and served rare.

I visited Italy in 2000, back when (due to lingering fears about mad cow disease) it was technically illegal to get a Florentine steak. I finally found one in Rome. Big as a stop sign. Three inches thick. Purple rare in the middle. De-freakin'-licious. My Hindu mother-in-law was pretty disgusted - she'd never seen a steak before! - but man, that was one tasty dinner.

DraPrime
2010-07-19, 09:04 PM
The Vatican? It has some rather spiffy architecture.

Aedilred
2010-07-20, 11:53 AM
Rome is one of my top five favourite places in the world (that I've been). I must admit I disagree entirely with those above naysaying and preferring Naples, etc. - Naples has a lot going for it, but Rome is something special.

You've obviously got your tourist destinations worked out: the Forum; the Colosseum; the Vatican; the Trevi Fountain, etc.- although the Colosseum is perhaps a little disappointing, I still wouldn't turn down the chance to go at least once. Seems silly to be there and not take advantage.

Some bits and bobs that I've found which might not be towards the top of everyone's lists, though- the Wedding Cake, a building you'll either love or hate, but there's some good stuff inside about Italian unification in 1859-60. If you can get out to it- either on a guided tour or by hiring a car, I'd recommend the ruins of Ostia, which was the Roman port. I found that absolutely mindblowing when I was there ten years ago or so. If you can track it down, too, the Theatre of Pompey is worth stopping by for five minutes (that's all it'll take) just for the history.

The food is fundamental. Pizza, pasta, risotto, whatever takes your fancy, but supplement it with copious quantities of ice cream and coffee.

hobbitkniver
2010-07-20, 12:43 PM
Hmm, wierd. I was there in June. I got pickpocketed, well there was an attempt. Never put your wallet in your back pocket. Keep your own hands in your pocket if you can. Learn the word borseggiatore (pickpocket). Also, don't let the taxi drivers rip you off. At the airport theres an official company that charges 40 euros, but the taxis outside like to trick people by asking for more after they already drove them there. I would make sure to agree on a price with the driver before getting in. Another thing is that people in stores like to charge you more if you speak English because they know they can. Also, my personal favorite thing in rome was the Capuchin crypt. I'll warn you, its art made of ancient human bones.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 02:30 PM

To steal or vandalize?

Zen Monkey
2010-07-20, 03:26 PM
My advice for any country really: find a fun-looking bar, pub, etc. It especially helps if they are watching a sports match with a local rooting interest. Introduce yourself to a group that speaks at least a little English if you don't speak their language. Buy them a round to break the ice and spend the night having a good time, cheering the local team and meeting people. I find that those kind of memories last better than the touristy photo ops (see the famous spots, just don't have to linger there). The places frequented by local residents have a different atmosphere than the more tourist-y spots.

Allan Surgite
2010-07-20, 03:29 PM
Get pickpocketed. Then go to Tunisia to see the Colosseum.

...yeah, 've got naught.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 03:38 PM
Get brutally stabbed to death by Senators. It happened once.

Octopus Jack
2010-07-20, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, I leave for Rome in an hour and a half, pics will hopefully follow in a weeks time so until then...

...Ciao

Bacon Barbarian
2010-07-20, 07:41 PM

It means they dont eat what they make. If they dont eat what they make, how can it be good?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 07:45 PM

What about a Swedish chef?