PDA

View Full Version : Defeating Swarms

aeauseth
2010-07-19, 12:48 PM
I play a Cleric/Warlock and I'm courious what is the best way to handle swarms (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm) and swarm subtypes (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Swarm_Subtype). Obviously at higher levels the cone shape blast makes quick work of a swarm, but what about lower levels?

A few bullet points:

A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures
A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon damage
A lit torch swung as an improvised weapon deals 1d3 points of fire damage per hit.
A weapon with a special ability such as flaming or frost deals its full energy damage with each hit, even if the weapon’s normal damage can’t affect the swarm

How would Ice Axe or Ice Gauntlet affect a swarm?
Would hellreime eldritch glaive do any cold damage?
Would gloves of eldritch adimixture do any damage?

All the above are single target, yet do energy damage. Just like a magic flaming sword. One could conclude that the energy damage would be effective, but the rules seem stricter for spells. Eldritch Glaive is weapon like, which category would that fall under?

Any other suggestions for low level warlocks or clerics to do damage to a swarm?

Talon Sky
2010-07-19, 12:53 PM
This is why Alchemist Fire is your friend. Moltov Cocktail, anyone?

Also, I played a ranger once who effectively used Windwall to hold back a swarm, if that helps ^_^

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 12:54 PM
Counterswarm? Warlocks have an Invocation to summon swarms.

Alchemical splash weapons such as acid flasks or alchy fire. Holy Water works on Fiendish swarms as well, if your DM likes those (mine did).

Otherwise, low level spells like Sound Burst can do ok damage, even if it can't stun the swarm.

The Ice Axe/Eldrich Glaive vs swarm question is kinda wierd. The rules support energy weapons dealing damage, and EG is more or less an energy weapon. Probably best to consult your DM, but I'd lean toward yes.

aeauseth
2010-07-19, 01:02 PM
Otherwise, low level spells like Sound Burst can do ok damage, even if it can't stun the swarm.

The problem with most of the spell solutions is that they aren't powerful enough to kill a swarm outright, and you typically only get 1/day. Unfortunatly in the parties I've been in only 1 (maybe 2) players can actually do damage to a swarm at lower levels.

You could purchase two dozen alchemist fires and probably put a swarm down. A single sound burst won't finish the job. Or slog it out with a torch, if you have enough HP's to survive. None of these are particurally appealing.

The Ice Axe/Gauntlet spells looked interesting because they last for several rounds.

gallagher
2010-07-19, 01:21 PM
The problem with most of the spell solutions is that they aren't powerful enough to kill a swarm outright, and you typically only get 1/day. Unfortunatly in the parties I've been in only 1 (maybe 2) players can actually do damage to a swarm at lower levels.

You could purchase two dozen alchemist fires and probably put a swarm down. A single sound burst won't finish the job. Or slog it out with a torch, if you have enough HP's to survive. None of these are particurally appealing.

The Ice Axe/Gauntlet spells looked interesting because they last for several rounds.

well, your common party has a martial class (for the purposes of an ideal party, lets say he is a Crusader or a Warblade), a Sneaky guy (i like a rogue/swordsage or rogue/bard for mine), a healing class (your standard cleric) and an arcanist.

what arcanist doesnt have either fireball, or a spell reminiscent of fireball? or at least cone of cold...

also, if you want protection from these swarms, look at how pathetic of saves they have. have your cleric cast sanctuary, they cant attack. walk through them

subject42
2010-07-19, 01:41 PM
Create water might not be a bad idea for low-level clerics. Diminutive and fine creatures might have to make a swim check in as little as a few gallons of water.

(Army ants may be an exception)

IdleMuse
2010-07-19, 02:32 PM
Can anyone think of any Summon Monster 2 or 3's that can deal a fair bit of energy damage?

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 02:38 PM
Mephits all have breath weapons and a few SLAs. Also, the Thoqua does energy damage, IIRC.

What would happen if you ran an Air Elemental in vortex form over a flying swarm? I just have this mental image of one of these clear sided bagless vortex vacuum cleaners with a bunch of bugs swirling around inside of it.

balistafreak
2010-07-19, 02:41 PM
What would happen if you ran an Air Elemental in vortex form over a flying swarm? I just have this mental image of one of these clear sided bagless vortex vacuum cleaners with a bunch of bugs swirling around inside of it.

The bugs are generally no worse for the wear after such treatment, though.

Bats and rats, on the other hand... ew.

Person_Man
2010-07-19, 02:41 PM
Carry a wand or staff with an area of effect spell in it.

You could also use various weapon like spells (Flame Blade, Thunder Lance, etc) that deal energy damage.

Darrin
2010-07-19, 03:25 PM
Can anyone think of any Summon Monster 2 or 3's that can deal a fair bit of energy damage?

Conjure Ice Beast has a variety of cold effects you can add as a special attacks. One of them is cold aura, 1d6 cold damage as a 10' burst that can be done 1/round as a free action, no save. While this may not seem like much, Conjure Ice Beast III can create four smaller creatures, 4d6 cold damage, no save or attack roll to worry about.

ka_bna
2010-07-19, 03:59 PM
Don't forget the gust of wind spell, or summon a fire elemental.