PDA

View Full Version : Magitech Campaign and Items

ZeroGear
2010-07-19, 01:01 PM
Long ago, I wanted to run a specific campaign. Being new to the creation of worlds, I set myself a simple goal that was partially inspired by the anime Soul Eater: A campaign where characters were students of a school that trained Adventurers. There would be the 'classes' that would teach class features, ones that would teach skills (sometimes groups of skills like jump, climb, and balance being tought during one gym class), and some that would teach feats. Additionally, there would be a practical side in the form of missions (such as cleaning out a cellar full of dire rats).
One problem started it all: how do I arrange the class features, skills, and feats?
The answer: use the Generic classes found in UA instead of the regular classs (except for the psion, who can be practically used without alteration), as well as weapon group feats instead of weapon proficiantcies.

As I continued to think about this world, I began thinking of advancing the time to a Victorian-like era, usaing technology that is somewhere between Steampunk and Magitech. this included the use of firearms, wich would be available as a Weapon Group.
The problem that the would unbalance the game came to mind, so I found a very interresting solution:
The guns are powered by magic! Instead of using lead bullets and gunpowder, each 'bullet' would consist of a casing containing a solidified version of a spell (typically Magic Missile, but also the lesser orb of fire/frost/electricity/acid/sonic).
This would make guns the equivilent of a rechargeble handheld wand that has one charge. Tis would also simulate the concept that guns tend to ignore regular armor (as the spell fired tends to be a ranged touch-attack).
The only thing preventing a regular person form getting this gun is the high price of the weapon (about 45 gp for a handgun, or 100 gp for a rifle), and the amunition (15 gp for a regular 1st-level spell bullet, per bullet).

I am also incorporating the elemental vessles of the Eberron setting, and some of my own (like the Spellcycle, a motorcycle that is powered by an earth elemental and liiks kind of like the Wheel of Fortune that Jack Atlas rides in the Yugioh 5Ds series).

Regular mele weapons are still widely used, simply because of the high cost of guns and the one-round reload time, but there is a rise in armor that looks like regular clothing with inner linings of chainmail, as well as ones that grant elemental resistances.

What do you all think? can any of you giveme some extra good ideas that I can include?

Edit:
Please stop assuming that the adventurers that are being trained in the schools are going to be lawless mercenaries. They exist as part of the comunity, and:
a) the missions that are given by the school help the nation that the school belongs to
b) there is not only one nation, so various school can and will end up fighting each other
c) the students take their role in society by taking levels in prestige classes that are tied to various guilds and orginizations in the world. For example: students who become affiliated with the military tend to take the Cavalier, Battle Cleric, Spellsword, or Purple Dragon Knight classes; while explorers tend to be Horizon Walkers, Wayfairer Guides, Storm Guides, or Dungeon Delvers.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-19, 01:39 PM
Guns:
1) One approach is to just make it unique weapon in of itself with its own set of powers and integrate it as a "sub-class" or create a gunman class, if you're so inclined. This is my least favorite approach because its generic, boring and involves too much work. I could say the bows are all guns now, but it wouldn't fool your players even if it's morally equivalent.

2) Make guns powerful, but they have very little feat or power support. They're not used as an implement for any class. The weapon simply doesn't allow for that depth of technique. So they would be more potent in the hands of minions who don't really have class features anyway or low-level adventurers who don't have many powers just yet. Give guns benefits like making reflex attacks and a modest amount of damage and drawbacks like a fairly short range and lack of use as an implement.

There is some historical precedent in this, since guns were initially the weapon of unskilled peasantry. By comparison, an archer fired more frequently and accurately, but could only produced through a lifetime of vigorous training and conditioning. The only difference is that the gun was easier to use without said lifetime of training.

Setting:
I like the idea of an Adventurers' College, but only when taken to its logical conclusion. Sure the idea was tossed around in Fable, Final Fantasy XIII and, to a lesser extent, Harry Potter. But I never felt like any of those franchises really ran with the idea.

After all, you are training freelance vagabonds and mercenaries who have a lot of power. Aside from the obviously high death toll encountered "graduates," the school can't possibly operate in a political vacuum. Mercenaries are *always* a threat to somebody So it'd be hard for the school to maintain its neutrality without getting involved in power struggles.

Powerful mercenaries undermine the concept of a national army. Governments get corrupted that way. So what happens when a government merely decides to outsource its military needs?

Likewise, the school makes for a natural center for "black ops" recruitment. Shady to say the least.

Moreover, what happens when "Evil" renegades abuse their skills learned from the school? How would that not create controversy? How is this regulated?

So you've got political games and heavy themes about mortality to work with if you wanted to.

Also, if you're a bitter student like I am, you could probably explore themes about the hypocrisy of professional codes and the illusion involved in the idea of a "nurturing student environment." I'd probably also throw in professors who bitterly fight for tenure and try to snub the work of their peers.

ZeroGear
2010-07-19, 03:34 PM
To Lurker:
You bring up a good point about the guns, but remember: the beauty of the gun is thar it's like a wand that you can use without the need to be a spellcaster. as such, they are limeted to what spells they can "shoot" by their size (handguns can utilize 1st level spells, rifles can accomodate 3rd level ones) without being enchanted to use higher ones (and that entails a very high cost to do). As such, I have no intention of just replacing bows, just givig a new option as to what players can use.
Remember: the guns can only "Shoot" low-level offensive spells, and are thus no replacement for a good mage, and the range is limited to that of the spell shot at the lowst caster lever possible.

As to your concern about the school: While I intend to use generic classes only, I still fully intend to givea lot of flavor to the world by using prestige classes. Thus, by the time a player has reached 5th level (the aproximate time it takes to enter a prestige class) he has gained all the requirements needed. Thus the inhabitants of this world are shaped not by their regular class, but by the prestige class that ties them to a particular role in society. And in case you are wondering: yes, I an using the prestige Bard from UA, as well as making a few extra class features available as bonus feats (such as rage, flurry of blows, and a druids animal conpanion)
Also, who said that there was only one school?

P.S.: the kingdoms are ruled by dragons.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-07-19, 08:36 PM
Magitech guns (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5867363#post5867363).

Arbitrarious
2010-07-20, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the link Krimm. Good reading.

Morph Bark
2010-07-20, 10:07 AM
After all, you are training freelance vagabonds and mercenaries who have a lot of power. Aside from the obviously high death toll encountered "graduates," the school can't possibly operate in a political vacuum. Mercenaries are *always* a threat to somebody So it'd be hard for the school to maintain its neutrality without getting involved in power struggles.

This reminded me of Swiss mercenaries in the Middle Ages and Renaissance. The Swiss are known for staying a neutral party in wars, but -- in those ages at least -- both sides in a war could be hiring Swiss mercenaries, causing them to fight against one another. Imagine best friends needing to fight against one another to the death for the lord that hired them, and if they both survived they'd just smack each other's shoulders and buy their mates a beer.*

*This isn't an accurate portrayal of how the Swiss were like back then, but moreso an idea for how to do this in DnD.

Ashtagon
2010-07-20, 10:12 AM
This reminded me of Swiss mercenaries in the Middle Ages and Renaissance. The Swiss are known for staying a neutral party in wars, but -- in those ages at least -- both sides in a war could be hiring Swiss mercenaries, causing them to fight against one another. Imagine best friends needing to fight against one another to the death for the lord that hired them, and if they both survived they'd just smack each other's shoulders and buy their mates a beer.*

*This isn't an accurate portrayal of how the Swiss were like back then, but moreso an idea for how to do this in DnD.

Actually, "Switzerland" didn't really exist as a truly unified entity. What you had was the Confederation of Helvetica (hence the Swiss internet code of .ch). This was essentially a kind of medieval EU or USA or CIS - an alliance of theoretically independent states with common interests.

In practice, such mercenary bands were hired through their respective governments rather than directly. And the governments normally arranged things so soldiers would only be fighting for one side in any given battle. Their most common customers were the United Netherlands and the Holy See of Rome.

Italian mercenaries were something else again. These were usually hired directly through their captains, and tended to have a gentlemans agreement not to shoot at each other, but to aim high instead.

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-20, 01:23 PM
For general classes, i'd say make the spelcaster that casts arcane spells use the sorcerer/wizard spell list and divine spellcasters use the cleric and druid lists, giving it all three is just insanely overpowered.

You should probably split the gun proficiency into light firearms (pistol, revolver, and the like) and heavy firearms (shot gun, rifle, and the like).

Now, if you want something more customizable, then try Complete Control (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/Store/product/pid=47.html) from dreamscarred press, it lets you spend Exp to buy class features, feats, ability increases, etc. More like what you seem to want.

ZeroGear
2010-07-21, 12:52 AM
For general classes, i'd say make the spelcaster that casts arcane spells use the sorcerer/wizard spell list and divine spellcasters use the cleric and druid lists, giving it all three is just insanely overpowered.

Good Idea, but I was considering also addin the bard spells to the arcane choices, and ranger spells to the devine ones.

You should probably split the gun proficiency into light firearms (pistol, revolver, and the like) and heavy firearms (shot gun, rifle, and the like).

Very good point. Since I was planning on using weapon group feats (since it seems more likely that a teacher is going to use a group of weapons rather than just one) I'll just make the heavier firearms the "exotic" firearms.

Now, if you want something more customizable, then try Complete Control (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/Store/product/pid=47.html) from dreamscarred press, it lets you spend Exp to buy class features, feats, ability increases, etc. More like what you seem to want.

Not quite what I had in mind. The idea that they are in a school is more of a role playing idea, and a simple way for them to understand how they learn certain things and why they have certain skills amd feats.

DracoDei
2010-07-21, 01:11 AM
Someone (I am bad with names) made an engineer class on these forums... try Googling for it.

ForValor
2010-07-21, 01:54 AM
I believe this is a tier 2 class...

The Gadgeteer (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50968&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0).

It's pretty plug-and-play too.

ZeroGear
2010-07-21, 10:35 AM
I believe this is a tier 2 class...

The Gadgeteer (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50968&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0).

It's pretty plug-and-play too.

No base classes please, as I have already mentioned that this game will be using only the Expert, the Warrior, the Arcane spellcaster, the Devine Spellcaster, and the Psion (with the ability to select skills, saves, and a wider range of bonus feats).
Prestige Classes are fine, as most of the game is going to depend on them.

One more thing: Everyone who reads this post has just lost "The Game"!

Croverus
2010-07-21, 10:50 AM

You fiend!

On another note I'd be interested in joining wants you start recruiting.

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-21, 02:15 PM

Read my sig. Every time i post you lose the game.

Also, same comment as Croverus. If you need a player, i'm willing to play.

Kurtmuran
2010-07-21, 03:07 PM
well i have a compagin of semi magitech dungeon
in my case my dungeon are an apocalyptic one when the bad guys win and that thing, 1000 years or more of evil conquerors managament and all the tecnologic are limited, soo much are lost so i be limit the weapons for npc classes or very well bulid pj whit an interesing history

ZeroGear
2010-07-22, 12:16 AM
AS I mentioned, I was using generic classes;
Anyone have a good idea how to turn the soulknife's mind blade class feature into some feats so I can use prestige classes tied tothat one?

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-22, 11:49 AM
AS I mentioned, I was using generic classes;
Anyone have a good idea how to turn the soulknife's mind blade class feature into some feats so I can use prestige classes tied tothat one?

Dreamscarred press (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/mind-blade-feats) has exactly what your looking for in their SRD.

ZeroGear
2010-07-23, 03:46 PM
Dreamscarred press (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/mind-blade-feats) has exactly what your looking for in their SRD.

Thanks for the link, that will help alot.
Something else I was looking for was away to generify the Incarnum-user classes. Anyone have any ideas?

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-23, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the link, that will help alot.
Something else I was looking for was away to generify the Incarnum-user classes. Anyone have any ideas?

No problem

As for the Incarnum, i'd say use a medium BAB, two good save, Totemist essentia, soulmeld, and chakra progression, and the acquisition of chakra's as the incarnate. Have them choose one of the soulmeld lists (combining soulborn and incarnate while leaving totemist separate). Turn the totem chakra into a feat. Give feats at every odd level or 1st level and every three levels after (4th, 7th, 10th, etc). That should give a fairly good base for a generic incarnum user

ZeroGear
2010-07-24, 01:56 AM
No problem

As for the Incarnum, i'd say use a medium BAB, two good save, Totemist essentia, soulmeld, and chakra progression, and the acquisition of chakra's as the incarnate. Have them choose one of the soulmeld lists (combining soulborn and incarnate while leaving totemist separate). Turn the totem chakra into a feat. Give feats at every odd level or 1st level and every three levels after (4th, 7th, 10th, etc). That should give a fairly good base for a generic incarnum user

That is a very good set of progressions. The only change is that I'll pobobly limit the types of soulmelds they ca shape by region and alignment.

On a separate note: since this campaign is going to include industry and assembly lines, I have been puzzling about how to aply this to magic items. So far, I've come up with the following solution:
in this world, there is a a theory that like matter and energy, the essance of magic, which I'm giong to refer to as "mana", can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be changed and shaped by those capable of diong so. In it's natural state, mana sufuses the air, invisible and undetectable to anyone. Spells and spell-like abilities are capable of forming mana into spells, at least temporarly.
At specific geological locations, mana condenses, becoming a clear liquid that flows underground or to the bottom of lakers, since it is heavyer than water, and can also be found n dryed up riverbeds or (in rare cases) absorbed into trees. There it condenses and becomes crystal. Creatures harvest this crystal as a powersource to drive their technology. Since it is pure arcane energy, it is utilized in the production of magical items.
Wands, for example, are seeped in the liquid form while a spell is channeled into the vat.
Factories prduce lenses incorporating this crystal, then are charged with a spell to determine what they do.
Threads are pulled though the liquid form while a certains spell is added, before being woven into robes.
Masterwork Weapons are crafted by delecate machienes, incorporating special sockets that can be used to attach pommels that transform them into magic weapons.
Masterwork Armor and shields use similar sockets to attach badges for the same efect.

The benefit of such sockets is that it allows players to aquire new weapons and armor while keeping the magical abilities. It sould be noted that the pommels and badges are heavyly regulated by law, and weapons may only attach one such pommel at a time (players will only be allowed a set number of such pommels and badges at a time).

Whato do you all think of my idea.

P.S. The elemental vessles will be unchanged, but more people will be able to use them.

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-24, 12:46 PM
That is a very good set of progressions. The only change is that I'll pobobly limit the types of soulmelds they ca shape by region and alignment.

On a separate note: since this campaign is going to include industry and assembly lines, I have been puzzling about how to aply this to magic items. So far, I've come up with the following solution:
in this world, there is a a theory that like matter and energy, the essance of magic, which I'm giong to refer to as "mana", can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be changed and shaped by those capable of diong so. In it's natural state, mana sufuses the air, invisible and undetectable to anyone. Spells and spell-like abilities are capable of forming mana into spells, at least temporarly.
At specific geological locations, mana condenses, becoming a clear liquid that flows underground or to the bottom of lakers, since it is heavyer than water, and can also be found n dryed up riverbeds or (in rare cases) absorbed into trees. There it condenses and becomes crystal. Creatures harvest this crystal as a powersource to drive their technology. Since it is pure arcane energy, it is utilized in the production of magical items.
Wands, for example, are seeped in the liquid form while a spell is channeled into the vat.
Factories prduce lenses incorporating this crystal, then are charged with a spell to determine what they do.
Threads are pulled though the liquid form while a certains spell is added, before being woven into robes.
Masterwork Weapons are crafted by delecate machienes, incorporating special sockets that can be used to attach pommels that transform them into magic weapons.
Masterwork Armor and shields use similar sockets to attach badges for the same efect.

The benefit of such sockets is that it allows players to aquire new weapons and armor while keeping the magical abilities. It sould be noted that the pommels and badges are heavyly regulated by law, and weapons may only attach one such pommel at a time (players will only be allowed a set number of such pommels and badges at a time).

Whato do you all think of my idea.

P.S. The elemental vessles will be unchanged, but more people will be able to use them.

This is very :smallcool:.

I have seen a system (and even DMed it) called Iron Kingdoms, which uses many smaller magic items combined together to create a more powerful one. The main "parts" are called spell plates and "hold" specific spells. Look it up, you may find something useful.

DragonMech uses steam technologies that combine smaller components to create many inventions (or a single powerful one)

ZeroGear
2010-07-27, 04:15 PM
This is very :smallcool:.

I have seen a system (and even DMed it) called Iron Kingdoms, which uses many smaller magic items combined together to create a more powerful one. The main "parts" are called spell plates and "hold" specific spells. Look it up, you may find something useful.

DragonMech uses steam technologies that combine smaller components to create many inventions (or a single powerful one)

Thanks for the info, it's good referance material.

By the way, I have finally figured out how to use the guns:

As I mentioned, the guns will be powered by magic energy. In short, there will be various types of bullets: energy-r, energy-b, summon, flare, and scout.
There are six types of energy bullets: fire, frost, electric, sonic, acid, and force. These are devided into -r (ray), which harm only a single target, and -b (burst), which hit multiple targets in a specific burst radius.
Summon bullets, as the name implies, summon animals; and there aremany kinds of these.
Flare bullets are used for signaling and lighing up dark areas.
Scout bullets breate magical sensors (either auditory, visual, or both) at the location where they are shot to.

The range of these bullets is determined by the gun's range incrament. A hangun, for example, might only shoot the spell 20-30ft while a sniping rifle may be as much as 200-400ft (requireing spcial equiptment to hit the target accurately at that range).

The power of the spell is determined by the "level" of the bullet. Each gun has it's own damage dice (the handgun, for example, a d6), and the level of the bullet determines the number of dice (for example, a 2nd level bullet shot out of a handgun creates a "spell" that deals 2d6 points of damage).
Personal firearms (anything that is not as big as a cannon) can only handle bullets up to 5th level. As such, 6th level and higher bulletd so not exist (exept for cannons and other BIG guns).

What do you all think?

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-27, 06:30 PM
I like it, but what about making a custom gun, like trying to mimic a gun from a video game (such as Vincent Valentine's Cerberus or Squall Leonheart's gunblade). Plus adding special mods to the gun could very well make it more fun when properly priced.

Kurtmuran
2010-07-28, 12:46 AM
i recomend read the core books of perperatedpress arsenal and factory d20
i buy both couse there are no pdfs

ZeroGear
2010-07-28, 01:07 AM
I like it, but what about making a custom gun, like trying to mimic a gun from a video game (such as Vincent Valentine's Cerberus or Squall Leonheart's gunblade). Plus adding special mods to the gun could very well make it more fun when properly priced.

Special guns are handled on a case-by-case basis. And what are these mods that you speak of?

By the way, in case many of you were wondering: Yes, it is possible to pistol-whip someone. The grip of a handgun deals 1d4 points of blugeoning damage, and the butt of a rifle deals 1d6 points of blugeoning damage. (Yes, the bullets deal magical damage that bypasses damage reduction, but not spell resistance, and is delivered as a ranged touch attack, like any ray spell. And no, the weapon focus (ray) feat does not grant a +1 to attack, but the weapon focus (guns) does).

ZeroGear
2010-08-15, 01:57 PM
This thread cannot die yet!
Another detail I will be adding are the necro-mechs and the magicmechs from Dragonmech. Also, the main cities will be on floating islands that were artificially lifted
Out of the ground by epic magic. It should be noted that the Lightning Rails can still get to them via the use of portals and special routing stations located in pocket dimensions.
Also, there is a special step when learning spells:
Despite the spell casters being able to cast spells spontaneously, they still have to research the proper casting method. The first time they cast a new spell after learning it, they need to make a spell craft check to see if they succeeded in casting it properly. Failure can have some interesting results, ranging from wasting of spell points (yep, I'm using the spell point variant), to magical backlash, to some goofy effect, to the spell being the wrong kind of energy (I.e. A fireball ending up as a coldball).
What do you all think?

EdroGrimshell
2010-08-15, 05:09 PM
This thread cannot die yet!

I agree

Another detail I will be adding are the necro-mechs and the magicmechs from Dragonmech. Also, the main cities will be on floating islands that were artificially lifted
Out of the ground by epic magic. It should be noted that the Lightning Rails can still get to them via the use of portals and special routing stations located in pocket dimensions.

I have the books for both DragonMech and Iron Kingdoms, both are steampunk/magitech so i can help there. Anything specific you'd like help with?

Also, there is a special step when learning spells:
Despite the spell casters being able to cast spells spontaneously, they still have to research the proper casting method. The first time they cast a new spell after learning it, they need to make a spell craft check to see if they succeeded in casting it properly. Failure can have some interesting results, ranging from wasting of spell points (yep, I'm using the spell point variant), to magical backlash, to some goofy effect, to the spell being the wrong kind of energy (I.e. A fireball ending up as a coldball).
What do you all think?

I've used this before and it's actually very interesting and comedic in game.

ZeroGear
2010-08-16, 12:35 PM
I've used this before and it's actually very interesting and comedic in game.

any funny stories about that?

anyway, how does the idea that the entire world is run on a system of parlimental monarchs:
Each country is ruled by a dragon, and the council that advises him is made up of the heads of guilds. In short, the dragon has absolute power in the kingdom, and the guilds manage specialized areas (i.e. one guild runs the sky military, another the arcane branch, a third runs the manufacturing of products, etc.). The guilds are different in each country.

also, available weapons vairy from country to country, giving use to the weapon group feat variant.

Sound good?

EdroGrimshell
2010-08-16, 01:46 PM
any funny stories about that?

Just one. Short Version; Exploding Web. Long Version; Web spell by a fifth level wizard used on a dragon they were not supposed to fight, hit the far wall and the dragon used its breath weapon causing the web to ignite and explode, killing the dragon and insta-leveling the entire party to level 7. Rolled the result on a chart and that was the first and only time it was rolled before the game ended. Before you ask, no, i don't have the chart any more.

anyway, how does the idea that the entire world is run on a system of parlimental monarchs:
Each country is ruled by a dragon, and the council that advises him is made up of the heads of guilds. In short, the dragon has absolute power in the kingdom, and the guilds manage specialized areas (i.e. one guild runs the sky military, another the arcane branch, a third runs the manufacturing of products, etc.). The guilds are different in each country.

also, available weapons vairy from country to country, giving use to the weapon group feat variant.

Definitely an interesting idea, I've never seen it implemented, but it sounds like Eragon with Galbatorix. Immortal ruler always spells trouble.

Sound good?

Yes, yes it does.

ZeroGear
2010-08-16, 03:01 PM
Just one. Short Version; Exploding Web. Long Version; Web spell by a fifth level wizard used on a dragon they were not supposed to fight, hit the far wall and the dragon used its breath weapon causing the web to ignite and explode, killing the dragon and insta-leveling the entire party to level 7. Rolled the result on a chart and that was the first and only time it was rolled before the game ended. Before you ask, no, i don't have the chart any more.

That is very funny. Poits for that happening. Just wait untill you hear about the exams in the school where the PC's will be students

Definitely an interesting idea, I've never seen it implemented, but it sounds like Eragon with Galbatorix. Immortal ruler always spells trouble.

Well, the dragons will not technically be immortal. There will still be succession, and backstabbing, and murder. You know, the usual. I was planning for the dragons to be part of the Great Game. And the leaders of the guilds will be Enarchs to ensure loyalty.

One more change I will make is that all races will be aging the same rate as humans, just to avoid confusion.
I will be incorporating a type of evolutionary theory that the other races evolved from humans due to the influance of arcane energies.

Also, I will be using an orratory planar system (the one presented as an alternitive in the Manual of the Planes).

Opinions?

EdroGrimshell
2010-08-16, 08:33 PM
I like the racial evolution ideas, but there's definitely a better way to do so.

Dreamscarred Press has a PDF called complete races, it lets you design a race using a point system. I use this in some of my other campaigns to produce unique races for the campaign. Would you like a link?

I haven't looked through the manual of the planes, so i really don't know much about the alternative planar system your refering to. I'll take a look when i have the time.

AimlessSage
2010-08-17, 11:38 PM
I have a small, and isolate country in my own homebrew setting that i've been workin on, and they have their own unique way to incorporate magic. First i made a few assumptions (could be a case of DNDTR) The age of Steam ended because electricity is easier, instead of having someone shove inefficient coal into a steam boiler for as long as we wished for any one particular device to function, we could consolidate the labor to one facility, remove the terrible heat from our homes (no AC remember) and overall make it cheaper because they would be more efficient. BUT in my campaign this small nation never needed to change formats due to magic. Two spells can fix the faults in steam powered. Heat Object , and casting it as its Inverse (+ permanency) This causes one object to permanently heat itself up to a flesh scalding temperature, simply drop the object (i used coin sized pieces of metal) into a tub of water, and you have a perpetual source of clean energy. (the inverse can be case on a casing to counteract the heat build up) The problem w/ surface area to water ratio can be solved by adding more coins. In my campaign everyone is trained in the usage of Steam Guns (Provided your born in the country) but only the royalty have ready access to them. Mostly because i'd planned to have them do crazy damage, and are super expensive due to them being highly illegal/difficult to obtain the right to posses, and of exquisit masterwork quality.

In a modern campaign (Arcane unleaded) i have guns do Ballistic Damage which makes all attack as ranged touch attacks except against armor made against them. (Armor can be forged to deflect arrows or ballistic balls, but not both. Also ballistic armor in RL relies on DR that only affects bullets, a knife will tear through a Kevlar vest.) A sword is just as deadly as a bullet mechanically speaking, just swords are easier to defend against all in all. Also ballistics should ignore a certain degree of hardness.

For the Gunmage class I've partially based it upon the Caster Shells from the anime Outlaw Star. The Gunmage has to spend both time and money to create bullets, and is looses spell slots to maintain them(slots gained from class will only apply to Magic Bullets.) All the special abilities will be combat oriented i think.

Basic guidelines im using (+xd6 get +x to hit)
Level 1 slot= 1 bullet at +1d6)
Level 2 slot= 2 bullets at +1d6 or 1 bullet at +2d6
Level 3 slot- 3 at 1d6, 2at 2d6, or 3 at 3d6.

Can also bestow traditional enchantments by lowering the + bonus so a merciful shot would do +2d6 but all damage would be non-lethal, which sucks if she's trying to take out a car tire with a heavy hitting bullet. I will encourage Bane weapons as well.
( i might need to tweak it a bit)
As i wrote this i thought that perhaps at each GunMage level she could select a new type of enchantment or two that she can use.

ZeroGear
2010-08-18, 12:12 PM
Sage, I hate to tell you this, but your post is truely aimless. More to the point, my campaign actually skipped the age of steam and went directly into an age of magical power similar to electricity.
In my world, the populace has descovered that there is an actual law reguarding magical energy: Like matter and other energy, it can neither be created nor destroyed, only changed. In fact, arcane energy (mana) can actually be converted into physical matter, and vice versa.
Since mana is actually much like a gas, and suffuses the air, spellcasters can shape the free mana into spells, or siphon it off and store it in objects. Granted, after a couple hundred years the stored energy is likely to deteriorate in lesser items, explaining why there aren't millions of +1 swords just sitting around.
Given time, mana condenses into a liquid form at special geological areas, and forms Mana Pools at the bottom of lakes (it weighs more than water). Given time, this liquid becomes Arcane Crystal, solid magical energy. This can be mined deep underground, dredged from the bottom of lakes, collected in swamps as Geodes, or harvested from petrefied Mana Trees. This crystal is clear, but carries a particular tint depending on what affinity it has.
As such, there are various types:
-Bronz tint (earth)
-Red tint (fire)
-Light Blue tint (Water)
-Silver tint (air)
-Gold tint (sonic)
-Neon yellow tint (electricity)
-Hazy white tint (Holy [good])
-Gray tint (Unholy [Evil])
-Green tint (acid)
-Multiple tints (Arcanic [Chaotic])
-Violet (Axiomatic [Lawful])
-No tint (no affinity [rare])

These affinitues form in various regions, but are particularly drawn to places were the boarders of elemental and outer planes are weak.
If left undesturbed, the crystals transform into gems and precious metals (hence these are common components in spells).

Also, this substance plays an important role in the evolution of different races. Since all, or most, are derived from humans as a base, the various affinities affected them in their evolution.

Arcane Crystal is an important resource:
It can be used to circumvent the XP cost in creating magic items, and used to power machienes like Mechs (ones with a spellengine), Airships, the Lightning Rail, and Spellbikes (my creation).

There are alternative sources for vehicles, but in this world the most comon forms of power are Spellengines that use either spell points form a caster, or arcane crystal of a similar equivilent. (Yes, I have decided to forgo the use of Elemental Bound Vehicles as they have particular restrictions as to who can control them).

Who likes this idea?

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-18, 10:56 PM
It's Interesting, but just look at the Artificer. Do you really want your players to craft freely?

ZeroGear
2010-08-19, 10:14 AM
It's Interesting, but just look at the Artificer. Do you really want your players to craft freely?

Must I remind people of two important facts?
1) Only generic classes. That means no artificers, no XP pool to craft stuff, etc.
2) Arcane Crystal is an important resource that is hard to utilize. The crystal form is only used in Spellengines, and the liquid form is really hard to transport as it is highly volatile. The giant factories that utilize the material to craft magic items need to use a high frequentcy liquification process to make the the Crystal usable. The equiptment to do this is very costly, and bulky, and guarded by law.

I really don't see a problem here, as there will be no way to avoid the XP drain wen crafting magic items for oneself instead of buying them.

ZeroGear
2010-08-23, 07:43 AM
Must not let thread die...

I've been working on both the religion of my world, and the setup of it's planar system.

For the planar links, I've decided on the simple oratory system presented in the Manual of the planes: four outer planes, four elemental planes, two energy planes, all floating in the astral plane with the Far Realm is just beyond that. There is just one twist: there are actually two material planes! In addition there is a minor cotermenous plane called the Plane of mirrors, but back to the important part. One material plane is called Saga, that is where all the magitech society lives. The other, called Savage, is an untamed world untouched by high-tech society. Sepatating these two worlds is the Plane of Shadow. Savage does have it's societies, but they are more tribal and have a lower level of technology, but they are by no means inferior! in fact, they use magic and magic items like those on Saga, but not the mechs, factories, or vehicles. the biggest difference in these two owrlds is the amound of soul energy used! Meldshapers are far more common on Savage than on Saga, where they are part of one or two traditional forms of combat. Savage is the "new world" for those on Saga, much like (north and south) America and Africa were before the explorers came.

As for religion, Savage uses animism and ancestor worship. Saga has several forms: The nations on Utoran (Highcrown, Darkrot, and Everwood) worship the Three Trinities (more on that later). The Blastland's inhabitants are monotheistic and worship Tiia (Dieties and Demigods). Those in Mindland follow one of three philosophies (Path of Light Order, Path of Free Spirits, or Path of Dark Domination). Those in the Void Kingdom on the Islands of Green give homage to the Five Elemental emperors (Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and Great Void).

I'll flesh out the religions later.

ZeroGear
2010-09-02, 06:45 AM
BREATH! This thread shall not die!

As I may have mentioned, thus world will be using Weapon Group Feats. But I have decided to keep the Weapon Proficiency feat in addition to the Weapon Group Proficiency feat around for a very specific purpose.

Anyone may select the Weapon Proficiency feat to gain the ability to use one specified improvised weapon as a weapon without incurring the -4 penalty. This way, you can use things such as pots, pans, chairs, tankards, tables, normal chains, and flags as weapons. Yes, you can even use it to be proficient with Halflings and Dwarfs, among other races.

Soulblazer87
2010-09-25, 10:45 AM
I've made a Gun Mage alternate feature set if you want it.

It's mostly like this: Touch spells are resolved at range of the gun used or at medium range. All others go up to their maximum normal spell range or the gun's own, whichever is less. Personnal spells do not need bullets. All bullets can also store the magic for later use, but only a short time (Cha modifier in rounds) though later on it can increase from rounds to minutes. Casting and firing is one thing and usually they require an attack roll. Using a spell costs a bullet (so if you only carry ten of them you can't spam spells like crazy) except personnal ones as mentioned before. Later on, the mage can choose to not use a bullet but spending extra spell levels, while later on he can do it without a gun but he must roll a check.

Advantages: Can cast and hold spells, can fire multiple spells per round if they have been precast.

Disadvantages: Majorly dependant on an item, dependant on attack rolls, needs weapons that are pretty darn rare in my campaign (and/or very expencive too). Spells cast can be limited by bullets in the inventory (which can lead to very interesting circumstances if you swarm the players with weak mobs, such as undead or goblinoids).