PDA

View Full Version : Creative ways of gaining sneak attack?

gallagher
2010-07-19, 01:33 PM
hey all, i am looking for sneaky ways to gain sneak attack! i know all the tried and true ways: flanking, surprise round, grease, a bag of marbles, invisibility, i think i saw someone once have it because he had the high ground or something (somethign about favorable terrain i think, though it might have been because he was moving through a thicket and thus had half his speed)

but i am looking for some super sneaky ways to be awarded an SA. any thoughts?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-19, 01:37 PM
hey all, i am looking for sneaky ways to gain sneak attack! i know all the tried and true ways: flanking, surprise round, grease, a bag of marbles, invisibility, i think i saw someone once have it because he had the high ground or something (somethign about favorable terrain i think, though it might have been because he was moving through a thicket and thus had half his speed)

but i am looking for some super sneaky ways to be awarded an SA. any thoughts?

Grapple denies the target his dexterity bonus to ac. Make your BDF grapple and stab away.

Amphetryon
2010-07-19, 01:39 PM
Grapple denies the target his dexterity bonus to ac. Make your BDFWild Cohort grapple and stab away.
FTFY. :smallwink:

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 01:41 PM
Compression + Confound the Big Folk. CtBF has an ability that allows you to enter the square of a foe 2 sizes larger than you, and treat them as flat footed. If you are small, you can Compress 1 size down to tiny, enter the square of a medium foe, and make with the stabity death. If you have a high enough ML and PP to spare, you can Compress 2 sizes down to diminuative and perform the same trick on small sized foes.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-19, 01:49 PM
Hand out spiked chains to hirelings, etc. Proficiency is irrelevant. Now, not only can this be abused to create a thicket of AoOs, but being good with a weapon is not required in order to flank with a weapon.

This is why a wizard, if has a hand free, should still carry a melee weapon. So anyone attacking him gets screwed over by the rogue.

Ruinix
2010-07-19, 01:55 PM
blow dust in the enemy eyes. ====> use a hireling for it.

true_shinken
2010-07-19, 01:59 PM
My party includes a Daring Outlaw Scarlet Corsair and an Artificer Iaijutsu Master. They consistently use blurstrike weapons, flanking and high initiative to pull off sneak attack (blurstrike & initiative also cuts it for iaijutsu). I don't think you really need more investment than that.

Also, no one mentioned hide in plain sight yet.

Greenish
2010-07-19, 02:00 PM
This is why a wizard, if has a hand free, should still carry a melee weapon.Spiked gauntlet (of Warning).

Because while wearing a fine shirt of mithral mail can interrupt your arcane gestures, heavy gauntlets won't.

[Edit]:
blow dust in the enemy eyes. ====> use a hireling for it.Sand Dancer feat from Sandstorm lets you blind people with your attacks.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-19, 02:03 PM
Also, no one mentioned hide in plain sight yet.

Invisibility and/or blink almost make hips redundant. Wait until the DM starts using see invisibility on everything, then break out the invisible fog spell of your choice.

The gauntlet point is an excellent one.

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 02:09 PM
All of my caster clerics who don't melee much still have a spiked heavy shield so they can threaten and gain AC with one arm and still cast spells with the other. Doesn't help wizo's much unless you can get a 0% ASF small or large shield (bucklers can't have spikes). Just because you can't do much to a foe you threaten doesn't mean you can't distract him just the tiny amount your rogue friend needs to make with the shanking.

Greenish
2010-07-19, 02:17 PM
Doesn't help wizo's much unless you can get a 0% ASF small or large shield (bucklers can't have spikes).A light mithral shield has ACP 0, ASF 0%, weighs mere 3 lb. and costs 1019 gp (with shield spikes).

Telonius
2010-07-19, 02:24 PM
Hmmm .. panicked creatures Cower if they're cornered. So if you can somehow get something Panicked, then either actually corner them or make them believe they're cornered, you should be able to get as many sneak attacks as you want.

2xMachina
2010-07-19, 02:30 PM
Collar of Perpetual Attendance for the Unseen Servant.
Get marbles.
Have unseen servant drop marbles in the opponents square.
<5 balance ranks = flat footed.

There's how you get unlimited mundane grease.

Greenish
2010-07-19, 02:33 PM
Hmmm .. panicked creatures Cower if they're cornered. So if you can somehow get something Panicked, then either actually corner them or make them believe they're cornered, you should be able to get as many sneak attacks as you want.Or just make them cower straight away. The fear handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0) has tricks for that.

Ormur
2010-07-19, 02:35 PM
You are considered flat-footed while balancing if you don't have 5 or more ranks in it. So walking over narrow or slippery surfaces can make you vulnerable to sneak attacks.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-19, 02:37 PM
resounding blow from BoED. Every time you crit you force your foe to save VS cower for a round. Take one level of warblade. Now pick up the TWF Feats and stay in blood in the water stance. Or just take two feats to give you the strike and stance if you have the feats.

Now you crit like crazy with two keen kuni, and force your oponent to cower every time you do, and gain a stacking +1 to damage and +1 to hit with no cap. Awsome battlefield control damage dealing rogue that needs no hiding!

Greenish
2010-07-19, 02:43 PM
resounding blow from BoED. Every time you crit you force your foe to save VS cower for a round. Take one level of warblade. Now pick up the TWF Feats and stay in blood in the water stance. Or just take two feats to give you the strike and stance if you have the feats.

Now you crit like crazy with two keen kuni, and force your oponent to cower every time you do, and gain a stacking +1 to damage and +1 to hit with no cap. Awsome battlefield control damage dealing rogue that needs no hiding!Kukri.

Also, if you plan critting a lot, Telling Blow gets you SA even when the opponent passes the save.

Dairun Cates
2010-07-19, 02:46 PM
Bake the villain a cake, and then come out of it in a sexy outfit. Bonus points if you're a man and it's a dress.

What? You said creative.

true_shinken
2010-07-19, 05:24 PM
Bake the villain a cake, and then come out of it in a sexy outfit. Bonus points if you're a man and it's a dress.

What? You said creative.

Wow, that is totally awesome. I'm totally going to try to pull this out.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 05:31 PM
Feint: Invisible Blade is built around this.

Greenish
2010-07-19, 07:33 PM
Feint: Invisible Blade is built around this.Sadly, I seem to recall that IB feint was errata'ed to 1/round.

JaronK
2010-07-19, 08:22 PM
True, but the Surprising Reposte feat fixes that nicely (makes it last through the entire turn).

JaronK

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 08:37 PM
Sadly, I seem to recall that IB feint was errata'ed to 1/round.

Get high enough level and a rogue's sneak attack can be a real **** (unless you know they're undead or a construct).

Cheesy74
2010-07-20, 12:15 AM
Take a level of swordsage, grab the Shadow Hand stance Island of Blades. Stand next to a creature that any other ally is next to (automatically flanking them) and proceed to slaughter them.

PId6
2010-07-20, 12:20 AM
True, but the Surprising Reposte feat fixes that nicely (makes it last through the entire turn).
The feats required to get that combo off is... not worth it at all.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-20, 01:24 AM

What? You said creative.

+1 Mind if I sig that Dairun? 'Cos this post just gave "surprise round" a new meaning :smallwink:

Anyhoo, on to the topic at hand: I always gain my sneak attacks in surprise round, and just hope they stack so much that they drop people instantly. Hence Great Cleave is an essential feat.

Example: I'm standing in a dungeon, surrounded by Drow Clerics of Lolth who want to defile me in some way (Just another day at the office). BOOM, Quickdraw a weapon and spin in a blade-y circle. Job done :smallsmile:

Dairun Cates
2010-07-20, 01:28 AM
+1 Mind if I sig that Dairun? 'Cos this post just gave "surprise round" a new meaning :smallwink:

What can I say? I have weird players.

Yeah. Go right ahead. You can use it.

Fenryr
2010-07-20, 01:28 AM
In Drow of the Underdark there is a substance that makes weapons invisible -denying Dex- for a while (til enemy scores high Spot).

If using ranged weapon, the feat Deadeye Shot (Player II).