PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Tashwell (IC)

Darwin
2010-07-19, 02:08 PM
http://digilander.libero.it/ICoboldiBerserker/Immagini/Fantasy/fn0025.jpg

Hidden on the leeward side of mount Dolerur lies a the small village of Tashwell. This secluded society is renowned for it's excellent goat cheese and gin brewed from the seeds of the abundant juniper trees.

In Leral, a larger town at the foot of the mountain you were offered the opportunity to deliver a stack of letters to Tebryn's Inn in Tashwell in exhance for a few pieces of gold when you got there. Since your route through the mountains would take you there no matter what you happily accepted and were offered a note of claim for ten pieces of gold to be presented to Tebryn in his inn.

On the second day of your trip through the mountain passes you wake up by the pitter patter of soft rain against the rocks. The rain is mild and cool and not at all an unpleasant alternative to the blistering sun that's been tormenting you high from the sky. An hour's walk later you reach Tashwell, tucked in between to mountain spires, and with a palisade wall surrounding the rest it lies well protected from any sort of raiders you might expect in the mountain ranges.

You decide to admire the village's structure for a few minutes before heading up to the main gate. There, a drowsy guard standing under a roof near the open gate greets you.

"Ahoy travelers, state your business before you enter"

Player Registry:{table=head]Username | Character | Race | Class
Ella | Norn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8929772&postcount=3) | Human | Archivist
TIPOT | Dave Fletcher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8930242&postcount=5) | Human | Swashbuckler
sciencepanda | Lilen Zhang (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8930403&postcount=6) | Human | Dread Necromancer
Sedgewood | Ritas Hammerclaw (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8931956&postcount=19) | Dwarf | Ranger
[/table]

Ella
2010-07-19, 08:33 PM
"I am here, to seek knowledge." Norn replies. She pulls back her hooded travelling cloak unleashing a mane of titian hair. Her spell book held close to her chest and her arms crossed over it she steps closer to the guard.

"I hear you have a somewhat wise cleric, and I wish to visit him."

Darwin
2010-07-19, 08:48 PM
With no further suspicion the guardsman nods. "You mean Aldran and Nesra? They're the caretakers of the temple you see up there." He points through the open gate, towards a raised stone building in the far end of the village.

Sedgewood
2010-07-19, 09:11 PM
Ritas meets the guard's gaze with a courteous nod. "A few days rest will suit this traveler well, if your hospitality is as I hear." His eyes return for a moment to the city laid about before him, then continues on. "Incidentally, I am looking for a man named Tebryn... do you know where I might find him?"

sciencepanda
2010-07-19, 10:34 PM
Lilen approaches the guard, smiling what he hopes is his best smile and displaying more teeth than a person normally should. He gives a curt bow. He has a faint accent, the origin of which is difficult to determine.

"Ah, I am sorry sir," he says, "But I too and just traveling through, to explore the area and such. Although in my travels I have heard some excellent things of this town's cooking. A recommendation to a good restaurant or inn would certainly be appreciated. And of course, it's been a long journey and I could use a place to rest my weary bones." He chuckles a bit awkwardly at this, but then stops and indicates his tired feet.

TIPOT
2010-07-20, 04:57 AM
With an exaggerated bow and a wave of his hat Dave addresses the guard

"Good day Sir, I merely desire to stay a while, perhaps sample some of the local ale - which I've heard is particularly fine this time of year - see the sites and if at all possible try to make contact with some relatives of mine who live around here

Darwin
2010-07-20, 05:28 AM
"I know of two men by the name of Tebryn, but you're probaly looking for Tebryn the innkeep am I right? If you head down to the square and turn left you'll find the inn, you can't miss it"

By the sight of Lilen's open cheek he frowns in a slightly disgusted grimace. "Now I see why you wanted to see the temple. What in the nine hells happened to you?"

He listens to Dave's words without taking his eyes off Lilen's teeth-revealing hole. "What ever grabbed a hold of you? Did you come across an owlbear on your way up here? We haven't seen one for three years, but if they're back I'll have to alarm the citizens."

Ella
2010-07-20, 11:00 AM
Norn smiles at the guard before heading through the gate and into the town. She turns her head left and right, taking in the sights of the village on her way to the temple looking for anything unusual or out of place. Specificially she was hoping for a magician of some sort, someone with knowledge of how the divine impacted the world.

Knowledge was something to acquire, and well worth the effort of seeking out and it was small places like this that held it in isolation from the rest of the world.

Upon reaching the temple she pauses for a moment and tries to guess what deities would be worshipped locally.

knowledge : religion [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-07-20, 11:26 AM
Lilen smilies politely. Pointing at his cheek, he says.

"Oh, yes, this. I have had it for so long, I just tend to forget it's there most of the time. You see, in my village we have a tradition that when we are young we may choose to sacrifice a piece of ourselves, to symbolize our connection between this world and the next. It's basically a ritual that represents us coming into adulthood, and those who chose to do it are allowed to learn spellcraft."

He perks up a bit at the name Tebryn.

"Ah, yes, that reminds me though. I too must meet with this Tebryn." He ruffles through his rucksack, and produces a small parcel. "I had previously met with an acquaintance of his who had asked me to deliver some of his mail, since I was in the area." He begins to put the mail away and turns to speak to Norn.

"Although I must admit, that temple does certainly sound interesting. Before heading to the inn, would it be alright Miss, if I were to join you?"

Darwin
2010-07-20, 03:14 PM
"You... you did that yourself?" The guard seems lost of words. He lowers his head and shakes it. "Culture! And they say we mountainfolk have weird traditions... Very well, you may enter, enjoy your stay in Tashwell"

He gestures for you to go inside as he scratches the back of his head in disbelief and confusion.

Ella only
Your knowledge reveals to you that the most revered gods in this area is Jascar, the suel deity of mountains and Fortubo, the dwarven deity of Stone. The small stone plaza in front of the temple building is indeed engraved with the holy symbol of Fortubo

Ella
2010-07-20, 05:10 PM
Norn enters the temple, her eyes lowered to the ground in a sign of respect, while her own relationship with the gods was distant at best she understood the value of behaving in the manner expected. Proper behaviour had of course been one of the most important lessons of her childhood.

She looks around the temple, trying to get a feel of the place and looking for its caretakers.

sciencepanda
2010-07-20, 05:25 PM
Lilen bows again to the guard and speaks, "Thank you for your hospitality."

While walking towards the temple, he addresses Norn again.

"It's always nice to meet fellow travelers. Where is it that you are from?"

Upon reaching the temple, he racks his brain for the proper protocol of respect for this location, as well as any other potential information that may come up in a potential conversation with the priests.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

Ella
2010-07-20, 05:31 PM
"I'm not from anywhere in particular." Norn replies. "I have been travelling since I first discovered just how big the world could be outside Valparine." she gives the stranger a smile

"And you? I assume you aren't a local having been questioned at the gate too." she turns to look at the stranger only to find herself blushing at the attention he is showing.

Darwin
2010-07-20, 05:32 PM
sciencepanda and Sedgewood only
It is proper among dwarven religion such as Fortubo to address a priest as Shoro'dun (Holy One).

TIPOT
2010-07-20, 06:58 PM
After giving a nod to the guard, Dave walks into the town, he wander's around slightly aimlessly until he finds an inn/pub

sciencepanda
2010-07-20, 09:42 PM
Lilen nods at Norn, "It is similar with me. I am from a small island, faaar out at sea. It's been barely over a decade that we even knew of the mainland's existence. I'm really one of the first few to ever leave. But I've made it my own personal quest to travel about and discover as much of this land as I can, so that we can find our own place in the world."

Upon entering the temple, he addresses the first cleric he sees.

"Greetings Shoro'dun. My name is Lilen Zheng. I am a traveler from far off, and I would be very much be interested in learning of this land and it's customs. If there is someone I may speak to, I would be most grateful."

He gestures towards Norn and continues.

"My friend here, she is a traveler as well, and I believe she wishes to speak with a member of the priesthood as well."

He addresses Norn again,

"Oh, I really am sorry miss, speaking for you like that. That is what you are here for though, correct?" Realizing that he has been calling her "miss" the whole time, he smacks his forehead lightly. "Once again, I must apologize, I don't think I got your name."

Sedgewood
2010-07-21, 11:46 AM
Ritas locates the inn based on the guard's directions without much trouble. Weary from his long travels, he orders a strong ale and inquires about the possibility of getting a room for a few days. Taking a long draught of the beer, he looks around the inn and politely makes conversation with the innkeeper.

Darwin
2010-07-22, 05:33 AM
Norn and Lilen:
A single row of solid stone benches cover the floor of the small temple building. Walkways lead around them to a podium where a woman sits, deeply concentrated in prayer. She holds her hands over a piece of document, and as she prays the words from her mouth conjures an ethereal mist that flows unto the paper where it shapes words and symbols. Deeply concentrated she doesn't notice your entrance at all.

Your smalltalk conversation goes on for five minutes before her prayer ends, and with a sigh she opens her eyes to regard her work. She immediately notice you, but she doesn't scare from having strangers in her temple. "Hello there my guests, have I kept you waiting for long?"

------------------------------------
Dave and Ritas:
You make your way across the town square and take a turn to the left where a building with a lower half of stone, and the upper half of wood stands. A wooden sign hangs from a post near the door, saying "Tebryn's Inn". The solid oak door leads you inside to a largely empty taproom except for a single cloaked man sitting by his own table with a glass of wine and a half-finished platter of cheese and bread.

The only other person to occupy the Inn is a slim man with a beard that makes his head look too big compared to the rest of his body, standing behind the bar. He grants Ritas' request for a beer with a demand of 5 coppers, or "'alf a silva" in return.

"Rooms are a plenty, 'tis hardly yet the season for the merchants to pass over the mountains yet so all my rooms stand empty at least for the next coupl'a weeks. Say, you didn't come across an owlbear on your way up the mountain? The villagers are afraid Wode the brewer's son's been taken'a by one of 'em."

sciencepanda
2010-07-22, 10:19 AM
Lilen shakes his head.

"Not at all. If it is not rude of me to ask, what was that ritual you were partaking in? I just have a personal curiosity towards these things."

Sedgewood
2010-07-22, 11:03 AM
Ritas sets his empty stein back on the bar, and wordlessly indicates he'd like another while sliding his payment in the direction of the innkeep.

"Owlbears? No, I didn't see a one. Are they common in these parts?" The dwarf furrows his brow in recollection, trying to remember if he came across any sign of the creatures without it registering at the time. "Taken, you say? How long ago was this?"

TIPOT
2010-07-22, 03:47 PM
After getting the Barkeep's attention "What's your strongest drink? I'll have one of whatever it is please."

Dave tosses a couple of gold pieces down "Keep the change"

He attempts to down it in one but sputters halfway through, "Ugh, good stuff"

Puts down the drink,
"So, Owlbears? What's with everyone here's seeming obsession? How can you tell it's not normal bears?

Ella
2010-07-22, 03:54 PM
"You may speak for me all you want good sir, I tend to get tongue tied and deal poorly with people." Norn smiles at the stranger. "And the name is Norn." She sits down before the woman holding her book to her chest like a shield.

"I came to look and books actually, I was wondering if you had any sort of library."

sciencepanda
2010-07-22, 04:11 PM
Lilen nods sympathetically.

"The library then...are you a researcher of some kind? Or is there some specific information that you are looking for?"

Ella
2010-07-22, 04:15 PM
"There is a great many things I do not know. I seek to know a great deal more, I hunt out knowledge wherever it might be found and record it in this here book." She explains holding it out towards him.

"Take a look inside, go ahead its perfectly safe. I look through old libraries and write down anything important and particularly any spells I come across." She smiles up at him from her seated position.

"The world is so vast and complex, sometimes I can't help but wonder how people have managed to survive so long without each of us carrying around a book like mine."

sciencepanda
2010-07-22, 04:37 PM
"So then we have similar goals then. I've been on the road for years now, and I still have only seen a fraction of what it has to offer."

General Knowledge Check for some interesting piece of information he can put into the conversation: [roll0]

"I'm sorry to say though. The language we are speaking in is not my native tongue, and so my ability to read it is still somewhat rudimentary. It would take me ages to go through all these books. Still, if you find anything interesting that you would be willing to share, I would be happy to hear."

Ella
2010-07-22, 04:50 PM
"Is that what lead you to this place then? Seeing more of the world after leaving your island?" Norn inquires.

"I would enjoy sharing, tell me is your homeland likely marked on the rough map I have sketched in my book?"

Darwin
2010-07-22, 04:51 PM
Norn and Lilen:

As the woman comes closer her features become clearer to you. The crow's feet at her eyes are the only feature that keeps you from mistaking her for a young maiden. "It wasn't as much of a ritual as it was routine work." She starts.

"I was merely replacing one of the many purification scrolls we used up from our supply last year. Our winter shipment of wheat from Leral was tained. We had to draw additional magic from our scrolls to keep the entire village fed."

She seems a bit surprised at your request of seeing a library. "We've never had researchers come all the way to Tashwell. We usually joke that the only people to know we're here are the merchants and the king's tax collecters." She pauses a moment before going on.

"We certainly do have a small library here, and you're welcome to have a look at it though I have my doubts you'll find anything worth writing a book about."

She beckons you to follow her to a door in the back of the temple. Beyond it is a room with a white, stone-tiled floor and heavy curtains hanging by the windows. Against the walls stands a few shelves, two of them filled with various books. Another serves as a scroll rack, filled with neatly stacked divine scrolls, finally a closed mahogany cupboard stands by the windows. A reading table with two chairs stands against a wall on it's own.

"Feel welcome to look around. You won't be able to read a good lot of the books though. Unless you know the Dwarven alphabet. They are from my time as an acolyte"
----------------------------
Dave and Ritas
"They would be, had it not been for the lads weeding out their cubs every year. Though it may sound'a bit brutal there be no way around it. They live up north, quite'a few days walk from here. If we allow them to breed'as they see fit there'd soon be one too many'and they'd spread to down here."

As he talks he pours a glass of transparent liquid and places it in front of Dave, it has a faint aroma of pine needles and something else you can't quite place a finger on. What makes you sputter is not the strength of the taste, but rather it's uniqueness compared to the usual spirits you drink.

Rather than laugh he seems to approve of Dave's initial reaction and responds with a hearty "Drink up lad, you'd hardly know what's good yet."

His glance goes back to Ritas as he answers your other question. "He ought'a be home yesterday. He's one of the goatherders, but he and his flock never came back. Wode rounded up the lads and took them out at sunset. To my knowledge they're still out'a there looking for the lad."

Sedgewood
2010-07-22, 07:46 PM
Ritas nods gravely as Tebryn tells of the missing boy, finishing his second drink with a long pull and wiping his beard dry with the back of his hand. He stares for a moment into the empty glass, as if weighing his options. Then he continues.

"Truth be, I have a bit of experience as a tracker under my belt, and no where that needs me for a couple of days more. If they're looking for another pair of boots to search the slopes, I would be glad to it."

sciencepanda
2010-07-22, 09:12 PM
"My island was only discovered relatively recently by the mainlanders. But it would be located roughly around here." He points to a portion of sea on the map where a series of clouds have been drawn.

"There is an unusually high level of negative energy surrounding it, and that makes the seas hard to navigate. Some of the colonists have taken to calling it names such as 'The Isle of the Black Mists,' or 'The Island of Skulls.' But these names always come with such harsh intent. That is really why I am traveling the world. To find an identity for myself and my people."

He turns to the priestess.

"It is an honor to meet you, honorable Shoro'dun. If I may inquire further, what has caused your wheat to become tainted? Is this something that happens normally?"

Ella
2010-07-23, 05:13 AM
"I would love to find out more about your island at some stage for my notes." Norn grins at the idea of having such a valuable source of knowledge nearby, and one with relatively obscure knowledge at that.

She notices her companions question about the wheat, it was a wise one that she wished she had thought of herself.

"I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge." she says to the priestess before turning back to what would appear to be her new companion. "Do you intend to stay in Tashwell for long?"

TIPOT
2010-07-23, 08:58 AM
After Finishing the drink "Woah, what's in this it's really good, another please

He tosses down another coin.

"Goatherding typically a dangerous job? And also this is Tebryn Inn right? I think I might have something for you"

He rumages around his pockets and produces some letters

Darwin
2010-07-23, 04:11 PM
Ritas and Dave:
Tebryn answers Ritas' question as he pours Dave another glass of gin and takes the letters. "No matter the experience you best stay in Tashwell till the lads return. Unless they already found the boy they might not take kindly to find a stranger wandering the mountain."

He pours himself a glass of gin and downs it in one gulp before going on. "We usually let the boys out on the mountain on their eight winter. As long as we keep'an eye of the owlbears further up there be nothing on the moutain that would hurt them."

--------------------

Norn and Lilen
"Shoro'dun? That certainly takes me back. I haven't been called Shoro'dun for many years. Here in Tashwell I just go by Nesra." For a brief moment her eyes takes her back to the past before she turns her mild gaze back on you.

"We don't know the cause of the taint but Leral suffered from it as much as we did. They send a messenger to warn us of the taint, but his arrival was too late. By the time we became aware of the disease it had already taken the life of three of us. We had a harsh winter, but because we were prepared we pulled through, as we've done before."

sciencepanda
2010-07-23, 07:37 PM
Towards Norn, Lilen says, "I have no specific plans for how long I will stay here. Usually I stay until I have come to a good understanding of an area and the people there, I restock my supplies, and then go on my way. Is this similar with you? Otherwise, I would be happy to tell you whatever you would like to know about my island. How about I meet you in the library shortly?"

Turning towards Nesra, "Ah, well then Miss Nesra, please forgive my misuse of terms." He hangs his head. "It is a shame when circumstances cause people to suffer like this. Are the rest of the townsfolk well stocked and healthy? I possess a small capacity for healing, and I would be happy to help where I can." He pauses. "Or, should it come to it, to provide a peaceful euthanasia."

Sedgewood
2010-07-23, 07:51 PM
"Aye, you're probably right. After a full day of searching, I expect they'll be bringing him home safe and sound any moment now, as it is." Ritas feels a moment of disappointment at not being able to lend assistance to the townsfolk, before remembering how much happier he is sitting in a friendly tavern than he would be searching the woods for a stranger.

He watches as Tebryn poors the young man another drink. He seems too young for the hard spirits. But then with humans, who can tell?

He extends his hand by way of greeting and introduces himself. "You came into town around the same time I did, if I recall. That's an, um... unusual getup for a letter carrier. I take it you had other reasons for your journey here, eh?"

TIPOT
2010-07-24, 11:37 AM
"You don't like this suit? I'll have you know this is finest leather I'm wearing, bet you can't say the same about your clothes.

Finishes his drink quickly and puts down the mug"Another good sir"

before turning back to the (in his mind at least) impertinent dwarf

"Or is it the hat, If you say one more bad word about this hat..." his speech becoming slightly slurred from the drink and all the while gesturing wildly and angrily

Darwin
2010-07-25, 07:16 AM
Lilen:
"Your offer is quite welcome but I just finished restocking our scroll supply." At the mention of euthanasia she seems slightly surprised, but not concerned as one would expect. Would you perhaps be one of the Deathsingers? The wandering balmgivers for the dying?

Ella
2010-07-25, 07:41 AM
"I would offer you any assistance I can in safeguarding your food supply." Norn smiles at Nesra.

"As for your library, perhaps you could point out any tomes I should be particularly interested in, my interest is in large part about perspectives on the use of magic granted by the divine and by nature and advice on how best to use it, any language is fine."

sciencepanda
2010-07-25, 11:54 AM
"Something like that." Says Lelim, "I am a member of a long line of Speakers of the Unliving. It is my profession to channel negative energies in order to bridge the gap between the world of the living and that of the dead, and therefore better forge a community where the mysteries of death are not such."

Sedgewood
2010-07-26, 04:46 PM
Amused by the man's outburst, Ritas' face betrays the faintest hint of a smile in his otherwise stoic features. "Aye lad, but that's just what I mean. A mere errand boy would not make his deliveries in such fine clothing, would he? You have the air of someone with a deeper purpose."

Leaning back in his chair and looking for something with which to occupy his hands in the absence of a drinking vessel, he continues. "Your business is your own though. My intentions are not to pry into the matter of others."

Darwin
2010-07-27, 03:31 PM
Lilen and Norn:

As Lilen speaks Nesra's eyes seem to widen, and a her eyes display horrific realization. "Li-.. Lich! You seek to bring the dead to our world? Necromancer! That tear on your face! I should've known!"

She panics and pushes herself out of her chair while grasping after the holy symbol by her neck. Her lips form the first syllable of a divine prayer.

----------------------------------------------------
Ritas and Dave:

As you start to feel comfortable in Tebryn's establisment you are alarmed by raised voices from outside the inn. The cloaked man sitting by myself quickly rises to his feet and rush to the door.

Seconds after he disappear outside, a group of exhausted-looking men enter through the main door. A man in the middle of them carries a shivering boy in his arms.
They bring to a table where the boy is seated in one of the solid chairs. They all yell at each other and Tebryn for various goods; blankets, spirits, more firewood on the fire, water, and more blankets.

Ella
2010-07-27, 03:36 PM
"Calm yourself." Norn says to Nesra while looking uneasily at the stranger.. "I doubt he is a lich, after all should entering a temple such as this not have destroyed one utterly?"

She pauses for a moment, thinking back of her knowledge of the undead. She takes a deep breath and ponders, how does one spot a lich, was it that they float in water, or was that witches, perhaps they were meant to be lighter than a chicken, or was that something else again. She reaches out and pokes the stranger. "He feels real, I would have thought a lich was all bones under a cunning hat of disguise."

sciencepanda
2010-07-27, 03:50 PM
Lilim gives what can only be described as a look of abject confusion. With slightly hurt feelings, he responds, "No, no. Death is merely a continuation of life. I do not 'seek to bring them to this world,' as you put it, for they are already here. You can feel their effects all around us. Surely this building we are in, neigh, this town was constructed by those who are no longer alive. I merely wish to honor the dead by continuing communication between them. Surely our ancestors deserve that much?"

He pauses, and then continues.

"And I am certainly not a lich." Nostalgically, he adds, "My mother is though. I hope she is well. Come to think of it, I really ought to write more."

TIPOT
2010-07-27, 03:55 PM
Dave, his previous conversation with the dwarf forgotten

"Woah, is he alright? Is he the kid you were worried about? Do you need any help and what happened?"

all of this is a tad slurred from the alcohol (he can't really handle his drink if you couldn't tell)

Ella
2010-07-27, 04:00 PM
"So you are definitely alive then?" Norn smiles.

"I do not know of my ancestors, apart from my father, and my fathers father and so on." she sighs. "If my father was to die, would you be able to tell me?"

sciencepanda
2010-07-27, 04:26 PM
"I'm as alive as you are." he says, cheering up a bit.

Lilen looks down, "Alas, at my current capacity, I am not capable of such a thing. Some of the stronger wizards of my village most likely would be able to, though."

Ella
2010-07-27, 04:36 PM
"Someday then, I look forwards to when you are powerful enough to, and then I shall return to Valparine." she smiles.

"So lets talk books."

Darwin
2010-07-28, 05:00 PM
Lilen and Norn:

Nesra stops herself from invoking the spell she had prepared. "I must admit I was wondering how you bypassed the circle of protection. None the less I shall take my measurements!" She walks to the scroll rack without taking her eyes off Lilen. There she picks out a small scroll from which she recites a spell which makes her eyes shimmer with a faint blue light. A few seconds later she sighs and closes her eyes, when she opens them again the light is gone.

"I see that you do not come bearing evil intent. However, I cannot condone on your heritage and I do not feel comfortable having the son of a lich in my temple without my husband present. You will have to leave, and come back only when he returns. I shall send him for you when he comes back".

She gestures towards the door, but makes no attempt to force you out.
-------------------------------
Ritas and Dave

As you come closer to the gathering at the table you notice that the boy is soaked in filth and what cannot be mistaken to be anything but blood. One of the men puts a hand on your shoulder and takes a step back with you.

"Aye, we found the poor kid wandering the mountain alone. All he did when we found him was stare at us as if we were all strangers. Nine hells, I've known the boy since he wasn't taller than my knee and he couldn't even recognize my face. He probaly just needs a little rest and he'll be fine tomorrow."

sciencepanda
2010-07-28, 06:56 PM
Lilen looks dejected, but does not resist. "I understand. I do hope that we can clear this misunderstanding up later though. Blessings be to you."

He bows, and then turns to Norn. "I really am sorry for all this, but I really would like to continue our conversation. I will head to the inn for now. Hopefully we can meet up again when this has all been straightened out."

Lilen exits, and makes his way to the inn.

Sedgewood
2010-07-28, 10:51 PM
Ritas stands ungracefully to his feet as the boy is brought in, the chair he was sitting in clattering unnoticed to the floor behind him. Being sure to stand clear out of the way of the townsfolk as they rush to help the boy, he approaches in order to get a better sense of the boy's injuries.

Ella
2010-07-30, 11:10 AM
Norn stands and leaves the temple, a smile on her face following after Lilien, there was always time for books, that was their great advantage all the knowledge was tied down and safe however this stranger had knowledge in his mind that was beyond all but the greatest libraries she could imagine. "Wait up, I will come with you!" she calls after him.

sciencepanda
2010-07-30, 11:23 AM
Lilen beams at Norn. "Well then," he says, "What is it that you would like to know?"

The two presumably chat as they make their way towards the inn.

Ella
2010-07-30, 11:25 AM
"So what are the animals like on your island, and the plants, and how many settlements are there, what are the major trade goods, what do you use as currency, do you have traditional garbs?" She pauses and takes a breath. "Sorry, sometimes I forget myself, I lose myself in the acquisition of knowledge far too deeply."

sciencepanda
2010-07-31, 06:00 PM
Lelim cannot help but be slightly taken aback.

"Oh goodness," he says, "I must admit, that's a bit more than I was expecting. But I will try to answer to the best of my ability."

"I was raised in a farming village--my father was a wool farmer, you see, so most of my exposure to animals was from my father's sheep. There were all huge rams, some taller than a mans head, and the more well behaved ones could be tamed and trained for riding. As for other creatures, there have always been rumors of a heard of Quirin living on the outskirts of the island, although I have never seen them myself."

"In terms of plants, I don't really know that much beyond what is required of my profession, but the island does have several plants with unique properties. There is the fire root, which is poisonous, but when ground and heated, it produces a powerful antiseptic. There us also the palid tree, whose leaves can be used in the embalming process. We also have an orange grove, which is delicious."

"Now, there are three other larger towns, besides mine. As I had said before, my village is a farming one, we trade the meat and clothes spun from the wool of the sheep in exchange for other items of there's. The chief items that the other villages produce are vegetables, pottery and fresh water from the river."

"Um...as for clothes, there is the chaofu which is a robe worn by the village elder and any high ranking magic users, but it is only worn on special occasions and holidays. Other times, we just wear plain clothes."

Lilim stops and takes a deep breath. "Fuu. That took a lot out of me. I hope you found it helpful."

Darwin
2010-08-07, 01:16 PM
The worried men make efforts to awaken the paralyzed boy from his daze, but to no avail. With terror still painted on his face as a mask they carry him out of the inn as Norn and Lilen enters. Many of them remain in the inn, seating themselves against the slow fire conjured by Tebryn as they were making attempts to bring Wode's son back to his senses. They invite the four of you to sit with them as they huddle together to discuss what they've seen.

"There be demons in the mountains" One of them says with a shaky voice. "No owlbear would have let the boy alive, the bloody beasts would have eaten him alive. I say we go out again and look for them."

Another man shakes his head. "Hah, Demons?! The boy just fell and shook his head, he'll be fine come tomorrow morning, wait and see."

They all banter back and forth as Tebryn serves them ale and gin as the afternoon slowly approaches.

sciencepanda
2010-08-07, 08:39 PM
Lilen's causal conversation is brought to a rather shocking halt when he sees the young boy being carried out of the inn. He immediately rushes to the bartender and asks, "What has happened here!? Will he be alright? Might I do anything to help?"

Darwin
2010-08-08, 03:22 PM
Tebryn introduces himself before he explains: "Wode's boy's been lost in the mountains herding goats. The men over there found him" He points to the men sitting huddled together at the fire. "The boy was alive, but something seems to have shocked him." He lifts an eyebrow at the sight of Lilen's face. "You look like you've been in trouble yourself though, why don't you have Nesra, our healer, have a look at that?"

sciencepanda
2010-08-08, 05:10 PM
Lilen politely shrugs off Tebryn's concerns. "Oh this?" pointing at his cheek, "No, I have had this for a long while. It is nothing to worry about."

"Will the boy be alright? I'm sure that Nesra is a very skilled healer, but if I can offer my aid in any way, I am always happy to."

Ella
2010-08-09, 08:08 AM
Norn smiles, making mental notes of the information Lilen provided before turning her attention to the boy. "demons?" she asks curious, maybe areas had stories of demons, but few were true demons and often were more along the line of bizarre twists of nature.

"What are these mountain demons like?" she asks, keeping the interest from her voice.

Darwin
2010-08-10, 03:34 PM
Tebryn shrugs "The customer is always right, and I guess it's none of my business anyway." As the subject clearly makes him uncomfortable he moves on to answer Lilen's other question. "If you have to ask me I'd say the boy will be fine tomorrow. I'm sure the last thing the boy needs is more attention. Give him a good night's worth of sleep and he'll be fresh as a fish tomorrow."

Norn's questions inflames the eagerness of the elderly who mentioned the demons. "Aye lass, demons! I saw them me self no less than two winters ago. Their skin is dark as the night, and they loathe the light of Pelor like no other creature on the mountain." The men around the table start mumbling, few words of disbelief among it. "They hide under the mountain where the sun cannot reach them, waiting for their dark lord to hide it away so that they may once again roam the surface and bring menace to mankind."

sciencepanda
2010-08-10, 06:33 PM
Lilen lets out a sigh of relief. "Well, that is certainly good to hear. I will gladly hope for his speedy recovery."

His ears perk up a bit at the talk of demons. He tries to recall if the description rings any sort of bell.

Knowledge checks
Arcana: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]

Sedgewood
2010-08-11, 08:45 PM
Ritas remains skeptical of the man's claim of encountering demons on the mountain, though he listens respectfully as he talks.

"Aye, well the important thing is he made it back in one piece. Get some rest and a good meal into him, and this incident will soon be forgotten."

sciencepanda
2010-08-11, 10:12 PM
Turning to Ritas, Lilen responds, "Mm, you have a point."

"Still," he adds, "It isn't right that a boy cannot go just outside his own town borders without suffering injury. Demons or not, perhaps this should be investigated, you know, to prevent further occurrence."

Ella
2010-08-12, 11:27 PM
"Lilen, are you perhaps thinking what I am thinking about these demons." she pauses to see if there is a glint in his eye. "I would rather like to end them, perhaps investigate but end the foul things entirely if they prey on the innocent like this lad."

"We should rest the night of course, and arm ourselves with care, perhaps even check in at the tavern and see if there is anyone brave enough to accompany us."

Darwin
2010-08-13, 06:00 AM
Lilen:
Neither your knowledge of the arcane or of religion contains any information regarding demons.

sciencepanda
2010-08-13, 09:23 AM
Lilen nods in Norn's direction. "Sounds like a plan. I'll just go about procuring myself a room, and we will meet again in the morning. Have a good night. It was certainly nice meeting you."

He gives a small bow and then turns to face the innkeeper.

"Excuse me sir, I would like to request a room for the night." He thinks for a moment, and then adds, "Also, would you happen to know of a man by the name of Tebryn? Earlier during my travels I was asked to deliver some mail to him."

Darwin
2010-08-13, 09:37 AM
The innkeep answers with a grin "Aren't I the popular one today? Tebryn would be me." He takes the small stack of letters. "Rooms are a plenty, 5 silvers for a night, 8 if you expect to be fed."

sciencepanda
2010-08-13, 09:43 AM
Lilen fishes around in his backpack for a moment before pulling out the innkeeper's mail and a gold piece. He hands both to Tebryn, adding, "Keep the change."

"Hmm?" he inquires, with a look of simple curiosity, "Popular? Is today unusually busy?"

Ella
2010-08-13, 03:15 PM
Norn heads to the inn, lost in thoughts, demons, perhaps real demons, the things that could be learnt from them, well not from them while they live, that would be stupid and foolish. Dangerous.

She enters, and heads to the innkeeper. "A room for the night please, and a warm meal."

Darwin
2010-08-16, 02:31 PM
"You're not the first to have asked for me today." He nods towards the man and the dwarf whose company you shared on your way up the mountain. "Might I enquire what 4 exotic strangers are doing in Tashwell? It's not every year we get travellers like you in our humble village."

He asks Norn for 8 pieces of silver before turning his attention back towards Lilen.

sciencepanda
2010-08-16, 02:56 PM
Lilen looks back at the fellow travelers.

"Huh," he says, "How odd. Still, back in my village there has always been talk of 'fated days,' when destiny brings people together for some great occurrence. Maybe today is one of those days."

Lilen smirks, "Probably just a coincidence."