PDA

View Full Version : would you wear a pink tutu if it gave a magical plus?

taltamir
2010-07-19, 03:09 PM
would you, a manly man, a barbarian or fighter, who eats nails and craps bricks (or however that saying goes), walk around wearing a pink tutu if it gave a magical plus that you want? (or maybe a specific effect, like, say, haste?)...

The idea of this thread is to both come up with ridiculous looking items, and to specify how much power they would have to grant you in order to consider wearing them...

So, example item:
"Pink Tutu"

example of when I would have my characters consider wearing said tutu it:
A female character: if it was magical... but I don't crossplay. (aka, I don't play females)
A male character: I am really torn on this one... I think I will certainly have them wear it if it was at least two pluses higher then what I currently have... or if it gave a power at least as good as haste. but what if it was a +1? i mean... its still magic, it still can save your life... but it is just so silly looking.

PS. try to say when you would wear items proposed by OTHER people. not just your own items.

hamishspence
2010-07-19, 03:12 PM
Magical armour that looks like a cow suit (as per Diablo 2)- probably have to be pretty good.

Would "inappropriate outfits" give the character a small penalty to Diplomacy or Intimidate checks since people don't take you seriously?

drengnikrafe
2010-07-19, 03:19 PM
"... so the Boots of Speed were totally powerful, but they were, like, lime green."
"Indeed. A most grave conundrum you faced."
I'd say something about "depends on whether you focused on the mechanics or the roleplaying", but then I'd get 6 people to attack me with Stormwind.
All that being said, I would definitely put on whatever it took to get the mechanics I wanted. I would wear pink boots with my clashing lime green tunic with the words "I'm a fairy, ask me how" if it gave me the mechanics I wanted. A tutu is no problem.

Dogmantra
2010-07-19, 03:19 PM
Pfft... I'd wear a pink tutu regardless of whether it's magical or not.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 03:20 PM
Two questions:

Can I wear something over it?
How much of a plus?

Escheton
2010-07-19, 03:33 PM
Pink tutu's would give some circumstance bonuses/minuses and a reputationmod. It would if I was dm. Mostly due to observations on social behaviour and views on "what is right".

And yes, if I had one I would wear it

Tyndmyr
2010-07-19, 03:34 PM
It depends on if my character would wear a pink tutu if it gave a magical bonus.

Elfin
2010-07-19, 03:34 PM
No. Never.
Not even then.

Yea, I'm pretty shallow when it comes to magic items.

potatocubed
2010-07-19, 03:35 PM
Sure, why not? People may laugh to start with, but after enough stories about the tutu-wearing berserker who will chew your face off if you cross him get around, that odd item of clothing will start to become a beacon of fear.

Thieves
2010-07-19, 03:37 PM
This (http://ratemyserver.net/item_db.php?item_id=2289&small=1&back=1) item from Ragnarok Online is the best example. It reduced 10% of damage taken from other players, so it was priceless in PvP and GvG. Luckily, they introduced a 20th-century, cool-looking military beret with the same property, and 20 times cheaper at that, so this object of serious Fashion Police concern has been put down... probably due to popular demand.

I would never put a 'pink tutu' thing on. Oftentimes I put the looks of an item before its mechanical applicability... Then again, wearing a life-belt, a huge pink ribbon, a yellow undershirt with pink flowers and wielding a fish on a stick as my trusty smitin' polearm would have the additional 'element of surprise' effect on the BBEG I Really Need To Defeat, wouldn't it?

WarKitty
2010-07-19, 03:37 PM
Ok this is pretty amusing, speaking as a female with a severe allergy to the color pink.

As far as characters go...my male druid probably would, he seems the type that if it's powerful I'll take it. My female sorceress? Not so much.

Choco
2010-07-19, 03:38 PM
I have worn much more embarrasing things IRL just 'cause it was funny, so I would say yes, I would wear the pink tutu. Plus everyone whos ass you kick gets to go to the afterlife knowing they got killed by a fighter/barbarian in a pink tutu, that alone is worth it.

Now as for other items...
Female armor in general is something most RL women would never wear voluntarily without good reason, so for male counterparts, how about a chainmail or plate speedo for armor, that does not function when worn with other clothing meant to cover the chest and legs?

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-19, 03:40 PM
There is a wonderful comic that I can't find right now, which shows this particular problem:

Adventurer loots dungeon, finds stuff such as earrings, pendants, bracers and boots. All magical.

Later, while wearing all this he enters a local tavern and everyone points and laugh at him.

Coplantor
2010-07-19, 03:43 PM
Depends on the campaign, on the serious one? No freaking way. On the semi serious one? Only if I can cover it with a cloak. On the silly one? By all means, give it to me!

WarKitty
2010-07-19, 03:43 PM
I have worn much more embarrasing things IRL just 'cause it was funny, so I would say yes, I would wear the pink tutu. Plus everyone whos ass you kick gets to go to the afterlife knowing they got killed by a fighter/barbarian in a pink tutu, that alone is worth it.

Now as for other items...
Female armor in general is something most RL women would never wear voluntarily without good reason, so for male counterparts, how about a chainmail or plate speedo for armor, that does not function when worn with other clothing meant to cover the chest and legs?

On an only mildly related note:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/269/1/4/Female_leather_armor_by_Shattan.jpg

Now THAT is what female armor should look like.

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-19, 03:48 PM

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/269/1/4/Female_leather_armor_by_Shattan.jpg

That is Leliana's armor, right? :smallbiggrin:

Math_Mage
2010-07-19, 03:49 PM

Minus the division between the breasts, no? Or is that only with plate and such?

Mystic Muse
2010-07-19, 03:52 PM
No. Never.
Not even then.

Yea, I'm pretty shallow when it comes to magic items.

Same here.:smallyuk:

Analytica
2010-07-19, 04:06 PM
You know, before 3.5 was discontinued, I had this mad and vain hope that some official supplement would introduce an option that was like this, mechanically very powerful but likely difficult to incorporate fluffwise with what most people who would use it would be likely to play.

The ideal thing would be something like rules for three-weapon fighting. One in each hand, one in a rear orifice. It should give you ridiculous bonuses, several additional attacks at full BAB, immunity to flanking or being flatfooted - whatever was needed to make any other similar melee option mechanically weaker. Then I would read the builds people posted using this, see how they tried to gloss over what three-weapon fighting actually meant, and snicker.

Of course, kobolds and gnomes being required for a number of extremely powerful builds is already like this. Sure, you are stronger than any other similar build. You are also a gnome or a kobold, even if you happen to have disguised yourself through a magical hat or whatever.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-19, 04:08 PM

If that's your preference, enjoy.

But it's unhardened leather armor. It isn't actually functional as armor, no matter what D&D tells you. 15oz saddle skirting(thicker than what that's made from) is easily cut by a single pass from an exacto knife. It's not going to help you at all against a sword.

PId6
2010-07-19, 04:09 PM
Depends... would the bright pink give me a penalty to Hide checks?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-19, 04:12 PM
I cast prestidigitation on the pink tutu to paint it black, sew some more details on it and pretend i'm a clamp hero(ine) (http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/wawanime/Chobits/chobits.jpg).

grarrrg
2010-07-19, 04:12 PM
So, example item:
"Pink Tutu"

Well, if you're talking DnD, then it's a moot point.

There are no magic pants in DnD.

Felyndiira
2010-07-19, 04:22 PM
Depends on whether I focused on the mechanics or the roleplaying.

There, I said it =p. Stormwind away.

Altogether, it really depended on the DM, the rest of the group, and the role-play. If hack and slash was a primary focus such that I would never, on my life, insert a comparatively underoptimized character into the fray, I would wear the tutu without a thought. After all, the bonuses are what matters, and between short descriptions of caverns and fighting X and Y, it's the numbers that counted.

If roleplaying plays a great part in the campaign (by that, I don't mean just diplomacy checks and a few puzzles, but actual interactions with combat being relatively less important), I most likely would not. Those roleplays are also the ones I'm willing to play a fallen, unlucky paladin who gave all of his wealth to poor orphans, so...

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-19, 04:28 PM
Depends on the character's personality. :smalltongue:

(And whether it was, infact, quite fetching.)

Wolf Warhead
2010-07-19, 04:35 PM
Depend on the character. Caius has no shame and is all about optimal performance. He'd wear one. Damian? Not a chance. Despite his points in Perform(Dance)

Curmudgeon
2010-07-19, 04:42 PM
This comic (http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=124) addresses the issue quite well. :smallcool:

mucat
2010-07-19, 04:44 PM
Depends totally on the character. Polling the characters I'm playing at the moment...

Johan, male human druid? "Everyone in town already thinks I'm half crazy. This would finish the job..."
Would probably not wear it for personal power, but might if it would help him protect the other party members, toward whom he is somewhat over-protective.

Cambios, male tjefling wizard? "If I had need of such toys, I should be a poor excuse for a wizard."
Far too proud to wear it, both because it looks silly and because it would imply that his own magic was not enough for the job at hand.

Nikola, female human artificer? "What this thing does, again? Never mind; I figure it out."
She'd wear it if it was useful...and within a day, it would be coated with soot, machine grease, and alchemical reagents, and no longer recognizable as a pink tutu.

Django, male human beguiler: "Can I get some matching ballerina's slippers?"
Would wear it, and probably find it hilarious. If some stranger got too offensive with their remarks, he would try to seduce their wife, while wearing the tutu.

Amelie, female human wizard: "Pretty, but I am not really a dancer."
Probably would not wear it, except in a context where wearing a tutu made sense. Might put it on for a specific mission if the powers were an excellent match to the job at hand.

Iku Rex
2010-07-19, 04:44 PM
I'd wear it.

On the one hand we have "looking stupid". On the other hand we have "not getting killed, crippled, eaten alive, soul-sucked, enslaved or whatever by the unspeakable horrors I, an adventurer, face on a regular basis". Yeah...

Besides; man walks down the street in a pink tutu, you know he's not afraid of anything. :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2010-07-19, 04:50 PM

But it's unhardened leather armor. It isn't actually functional as armor, no matter what D&D tells you. 15oz saddle skirting(thicker than what that's made from) is easily cut by a single pass from an exacto knife. It's not going to help you at all against a sword.

Good point. Although I was actually going for something that could suitably pass for tanned dragonhide.

potatocubed
2010-07-19, 05:01 PM

There were in one of my games from before the 'slot' system was codified. The pants of spell storing, to go with the shoulderpads of protection +3 and the socks of striding and springing.

Otodetu
2010-07-19, 05:05 PM
Good point. Although I was actually going for something that could suitably pass for tanned dragonhide.

Or magical whatever.

Temotei
2010-07-19, 05:07 PM
It depends on the character.

Glimbur
2010-07-19, 05:15 PM
Probably. Looking silly is one thing, but not dying is rather more important. Somewhat depends on the character and mission at hand.

Yukitsu
2010-07-19, 05:25 PM
Eh, most of my characters (both genders) wind up having to cross dress for one reason or another during a campaign. This would probably just be another notch in my already sordid belt.

As for what enchantment I'd want on it? Eh, I'd be happy enough if it were covered in old spice, just to confuse everyone who could smell that character.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-19, 05:30 PM
Some characters would die before wearing those. Mine usually pimp them up to extremes.

arrowhen
2010-07-19, 06:11 PM
It would have to be +4. And I'd have to be able to split the bonus so I could have a +2 tutu +2.

WarKitty
2010-07-19, 06:13 PM
Does it count if you have a character that totally wouldn't get why people were staring at him while he was wearing it? "What, I thought clothing was one of those civilized things I was supposed to do! I'm wearing clothing, why is everyone so upset???"

mucat
2010-07-19, 06:29 PM
It would have to be +4. And I'd have to be able to split the bonus so I could have a +2 tutu +2.

You win.

FMArthur
2010-07-19, 07:25 PM
I would, but only for battles. I might even go so far as to have my character leave before a battle, change into the tutu, put on a mask, and rush back in as a mysterious stranger.

jiriku
2010-07-19, 07:29 PM
No. The pink of the tutu would clash with the lilac/paisley of my manly blouse.

Runestar
2010-07-19, 08:06 PM
I am pretty sure that how comical or impressive a certain outfit looks also depends on the wearer's ability to carry himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some anime where the protagonist is wearing the equivalent of a pink tutu and still manages to look intimidating. :smallamused:

imp_fireball
2010-07-19, 08:17 PM

Well, that has the appearance that it's molded into place. Even though it's soft, the same could probably be achieved with much harder leather (although it might be a bit harder to achieve in crafting then regular leather armor).
-------

Item suggestions

Clown nose of wisdom (+4)

Rubber Gloves of slamming and rending - grants slam, 1d10 for medium sized character; also grants the ability to rend for 2d6 + Str additional slashing damage upon two successful attacks, assuming one of them is a slam.

False Teeth of Snapping - Grants a bite attack (full Str modifier).

Diver's Helmet of Communion. An old fashioned 19th century deep sea diver's helmet. You can see out of it perfectly, and it allows you to send missives to deities and receive a missive in turn/missive sent equal to your charisma modifier.

Thong of Ultra Brilliance +1. Grants the ability to emit ultra brilliant light that can blind enemies for 1d4 hours (successful Fort or Reflex save, whatever is higher; DC 18 + your charisma modifier) in 40ft. radius. Also, +1 to attacks and touch AC. Cannot wear pants over this, as that would deny people from beholding its ultra brilliance. Conforms to nether regions, so both males and females can wear this snugly. :smallyuk: :smallamused:

The Shadowmind
2010-07-19, 08:24 PM
I am pretty sure that how comical or impressive a certain outfit looks also depends on the wearer's ability to carry himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some anime where the protagonist is wearing the equivalent of a pink tutu and still manages to look intimidating. :smallamused:

I think Ranma from Ranma 1/2 could pull it off, since he is in female outfits quite often but normally female while wearing them.

Tengu_temp
2010-07-19, 08:56 PM
Transfer Enchantment, go! And if that's not available then just stuff the tutu into your pants/under your robe/whatever.

In a museum, I saw a piece of plate armor which belonged to a female knight. How did it look? Completely the same way as male armor. If I didn't read the label, I wouldn't even know. I believe in both style and functionality, though, so this leather armor looks good to my eyes.

CubeB
2010-07-19, 09:43 PM
...Depends.

Can I put my hair into big pink pigtails?

Do I get a heart shaped wand?

Do my attacks get their own theme music?

I'd be tempted to get an item that allows for perpetual disguise self when out of combat. When battle comes along?

TUTU POWER! MAKE UP!

Warlock of Love. Word. :smallcool:

valadil
2010-07-19, 10:36 PM
Some of my characters would. Others wouldn't. I can think of a few that would wear it as an undergarment that nobody ever had to see.

Darth Stabber
2010-07-19, 10:44 PM
I would wear one in real life (without bonuses) if it weren't for society's dislike of those that flaunt gender norms.

Beyond that it depends heavily on the character. I have had several characters that are very appearence conscience that would rather face the effective penalty of not wearing it too the social penalty of wearing it. Others that would wear only it and a magic bra if it gave enough bonuses to justify it.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-19, 10:51 PM
There goes my "fearsome reputation"...
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8398/441327578.gif

Rising Phoenix
2010-07-20, 12:10 AM
I just gifted our halfling sorcerer a pink, frilled, hello kitty appron that grants +2 Cha... XD

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-07-20, 12:34 AM
Rare is the character concept of mine that would object to such a thing. Of course, I have a sense of humor about my luckless alter-egos anyway. Besides, an adventurer's life is fraught with mortal danger. Anyone who would place pride over survival has chosen to gamble with your lives, and the lives of those he/she works with. So really, NOT wearing the tutu disqualifies the character from being of the good alignment, right? What a paladin trap. :smalltongue:

Psyx
2010-07-20, 05:47 AM

Tutus are blatantly waist slot items.

And no; I wouldn't.

Zovc
2010-07-20, 06:02 AM
This (http://ratemyserver.net/item_db.php?item_id=2289&small=1&back=1) item from Ragnarok Online is the best example.

From your link:

"Impossible to refine this item."

I lol'd.

FelixG
2010-07-20, 06:16 AM

this, one thousand times this :D

great movie!

Earthwalker
2010-07-20, 06:48 AM
Only very few of my characters would wear a pink tutu for the pluses.

I would be interested if a pink tutu wearing character had effects on the game for some groups. Would it make diplomacy harder, would you get more people thinking you were insane and not to be trusted ?

Escheton
2010-07-20, 06:48 AM
Now, if it would count as armor, or could have armor enhancements on it at least a +2 tutu +2 as mentioned before with the called property would be worn by even the manliest homophobic frillphobes during combat.

edit as response to next post: /showhelmet off

Cheesegear
2010-07-20, 06:51 AM
I think this thread is yet to meet DDO, where people wear all sorts of terrible looking items just because it gives a bonus. Like those terrible pyramid-hats.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-20, 06:56 AM
Hat of Disguise is such a wonderful item.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-20, 06:59 AM
I give you....real female armor.

http://studio930.com/jetrefilm_photography/grace_holley_plate4.jpg

Well, it would be if it wasn't aluminum. It'd still be awesome if made of steel, though.

zmasterofjersey
2010-07-20, 07:03 AM
Plus everyone whos ass you kick gets to go to the afterlife knowing they got killed by a fighter/barbarian in a pink tutu, that alone is worth it.

Agreed, I would just take it off when we go into a city or something.

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-20, 07:10 AM

This is the reason why I tend to play female characters when I play fighters.

Oh and um... is it wrong to call a fighter "yummy"?

panaikhan
2010-07-20, 07:11 AM
I have a reasonably high level Warforged, who, through the use of feats and self-crafted magical items, does a very passable imitation of Mecha-Godzilla.
That character would SO wear a frilly pink Tutu, just because :smalltongue:

Other characters of mine? Pretty much, yes.

I especially like the idea of a magical Tutu invoking an SEP field - the wearer still feels stupid, but no-one notices.

taltamir
2010-07-20, 07:35 AM
I'd wear it.

On the one hand we have "looking stupid". On the other hand we have "not getting killed, crippled, eaten alive, soul-sucked, enslaved or whatever by the unspeakable horrors I, an adventurer, face on a regular basis". Yeah...

Besides; man walks down the street in a pink tutu, you know he's not afraid of anything. :smallbiggrin:

I tend to agree, if I personally were magically transported into DnD land, I would wear a magic pink tutu, because not dying is awesome.

can someone explain this?

if someone has artistic skill, please draw the most intimidating barbarian you can with a pink tutu, splattered with blood...

oooh, actually, you could tell people its your "kilt"... and it wasn't pink when you started adventuring...

Item suggestions

Rubber Gloves of slamming and rending - grants slam, 1d10 for medium sized character; also grants the ability to rend for 2d6 + Str additional slashing damage upon two successful attacks, assuming one of them is a slam.

Diver's Helmet of Communion. An old fashioned 19th century deep sea diver's helmet. You can see out of it perfectly, and it allows you to send missives to deities and receive a missive in turn/missive sent equal to your charisma modifier.

Thong of Ultra Brilliance +1. Grants the ability to emit ultra brilliant light that can blind enemies for 1d4 hours (successful Fort or Reflex save, whatever is higher; DC 18 + your charisma modifier) in 40ft. radius. Also, +1 to attacks and touch AC. Cannot wear pants over this, as that would deny people from beholding its ultra brilliance. Conforms to nether regions, so both males and females can wear this snugly. :smallyuk: :smallamused:

ooh, finally someone else suggesting items!
ok...
Clown nose: pretty funny, unstylish... I would wear it. I would have my characters wear it.

False teeth: well, if you are not missing teeth you can't wear it, if you already have no teeth, then you might as well get magical false teeth, I don't see whats embarrassing about it.

Diver's Helmet: this is an out of combat utility item, you wear it, case communion, and take it off... nobody needs to see you... definitely would use it.

Thong of Ultra Brilliance: this is just pure epic win! A power and super embarrassing item... plus it gives you crotch beams :P
I... honestly don't know if I would have my characters wear it, it certainly one ups the pink tutu.

mmm... this gives me an idea...
Nipple rings of petrification. If you wear those rings and they are exposed and visible, you may make a "gaze" type attack against one person who has line of sight to them 1/day, they must make a fort save or be petrified...

As for who would use it...
female characters: no way.
male characters: yes.

In a museum, I saw a piece of plate armor which belonged to a female knight. How did it look? Completely the same way as male armor. If I didn't read the label, I wouldn't even know. I believe in both style and functionality, though, so this leather armor looks good to my eyes.

this is because "armor boobs" serve only to funnel the enemy's weapon into your chest, where all the energy is focused into one spot... this is very VERY bad... If a female warrior has huge breasts, then her armor would simply be "bigger" overall, but it should never have "boob shapes" in the front.
For maximum deflection the armor should be rounded, like a ball... that is why it often looks like it has a "fat stomach" and also why there is commonly an arch coming OUT of the chest area, like so:
http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/products/R000968_L.jpg

...Depends.

Can I put my hair into big pink pigtails?

Do I get a heart shaped wand?

Do my attacks get their own theme music?

I'd be tempted to get an item that allows for perpetual disguise self when out of combat. When battle comes along?

TUTU POWER! MAKE UP!

Warlock of Love. Word. :smallcool:

That is pretty epic... and you CAN get those, but don't have to... that being said... hat of disguise would work well here.

I am cribbing an item from you though...
the heart shaped wand... would your caster use a heart shaped wand?

panaikhan
2010-07-20, 07:52 AM
I think I have stated this in another thread, but...

In one campaign, my rogue had a hat of disguise.
In any combat where there were a large number of humanoid opponents, my rogue would use the Hat to look indistinguishable from the bad guys, apart from a red & white stripey knitted hat, with a bobble on it. This tactic worked well on low-int grunts.

Anyway... I think the +2 tutu +2 is meant as a play on words, and the intent is to have an item with a +2 AC bonus, and a +2 bonus to something else.

taltamir
2010-07-20, 08:21 AM
thanks for explaining it.

anyways, I think this comic is relevant: http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Gods_of_ArrKelaan/index.php?p=332824
the gods or arrkelaan... the head god gets himself a mighty hammer, it basically has similar qualities to the hammer of thor.. except its a pink rubber mallet.

Farlion
2010-07-20, 08:58 AM
There is a wonderful comic that I can't find right now, which shows this particular problem:

http://www.lustigesrollenspiel.de/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=31&func=detail&id=154

there you go.

It's in german, here my free translation:

"I don't care if "Azzi Nosebears Armor of Goofiness" gives 50 AC bonus. I'm gonna take this off immediately!"

Cheers,
Farlion

taltamir
2010-07-20, 12:08 PM
I just gifted our halfling sorcerer a pink, frilled, hello kitty appron that grants +2 Cha... XD

awesome!... is he going to wear it?

what movie is that from?

This is the reason why I tend to play female characters when I play fighters.

Oh and um... is it wrong to call a fighter "yummy"?

not at all, I would say it is very very right.

Well, it would be if it wasn't aluminum. It'd still be awesome if made of steel, though.

very sexy... where is her helmet?

FelixG
2010-07-20, 04:33 PM
what movie is that from?

very sexy... where is her helmet?

The movie is Stardust
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/

And thats a silly question, only NPCs who die first wear helmets!

Ajadea
2010-07-20, 05:51 PM
So the items are:

Pink Tutu of...how about Grace: +10 bonus to Balance, Jump, Perform (dance), and Tumble?

Item suggestions

Hmmm....
Polling Characters:

Kerisa: No. No. No. No. No. No.

Razuri: What were the creators of those items drinking? Really. Might wear the gloves and the teeth, admittedly. I'm not a crossdresser, so I'm not about to wear a tutu. I really don't need people to stare at my nether regions, so no thong. I'm frankly not so interested in a spherical helm or a rubber ball that I stick my nose into. I have my pride.

------
Here's some more items:

Bunny Ears of Jumping: Fluffy white bunny ears. +20 to jump checks, fly 1/day.

Singing Mask: Wood mask in the shape of a grinning face. Activate 1 bardic music effect each day, lasting 20 rounds.

Fluffy Pink Sweater with Pompoms on the Sleeves: DR 10/silvered slashing, +4 luck bonus to AC, 4/day manifest a pink +2 merciful whip-dagger for 10 rounds that can't be disarmed.
Takes up the torso slot (like a shirt. You may wear it over a suit of armor or under an opened robe. You lose all bonuses if the front torso section is ever hidden (hiding sleeves and back is fine)

Xuc Xac
2010-07-20, 11:07 PM
Until the mid-20th century, pink was considered to be a very strong, masculine color. It was considered inappropriate for girls because they were too weak to wear it without being overwhelmed. A real tutu has a very heavy and thick ruffle that is much tougher and more badass than any ruff worn around the neck (a very popular style that was affected by very manly men such as the famous pirate Francis Drake, who was knighted for capturing so many ships for Britain.

He dressed like this:http://www.lessignets.com/signetsdiane/calendrier/images/dec/13/Francis_Drake_around39.jpg

Wearing a pink tutu would be seen as unmanly now but it wouldn't have made a warrior appear any less ferocious in most historical periods (and in some periods it might make you look even more impressive). No Renaissance tough guy swordsman would ever be caught dead wearing something as hideous as a pair of blue jeans even if they do provide more protection than a pair of multi-colored hose. How is he supposed to show off how strong he is if you can't see the rippling muscles of his thighs? He'd love to wear that Thong of Brilliance though. It's like a super-powered version of the jeweled codpiece that he already wears to accentuate his junk. Fashion is very subjective and "normal" or "manly" doesn't have an objective standard that applies in all times and places.

cupkeyk
2010-07-20, 11:44 PM
We once were forced to wear a brassiere for a humor version of Temple of Elemental evil. The DM made it a brassiere of Fire Elemental control.

taltamir
2010-07-21, 01:57 AM
@Xuc Xac:
i agree that jeans are hideous... they are my most hated item of clothing.
Also, very awesome and informative post... but the thing is:

historical accuracy can go die in a ditch
a pink tutu is embarassing today, so thats what players go by... and so are the other items (such as the clown nose, or bunny ears)...

btw, I really like the bunny ears... they even make sense as to why someone would craft them (bunnies jump, right?)

Prime32
2010-07-21, 04:05 AM
Bunny Ears of Speed: Continuous expeditious retreatFixed. :smallwink:

Oslecamo
2010-07-21, 05:10 AM
Guys, guys, here's what really happens!

-Thork the fighter hears of a mighty dragon terrorrizing the empire.
-Thork finds magic pink tutu +8 of kickassing.
-Thork decides humiliation is better than being eaten by a dragon so wears the tutu.
-Thork defeats dragon while wearing the pink tutu in front of the population.
-Bards start to make tales of the pink tutu hero.
-Pink tutus become a sign of manliness!
-Every wannabe hero shows up wearing pink tutus.

If you still have doubts then ask Sanzer Zonvolt, the sword that smites evil:

Normal
http://files.daitrombe.net/attachments/11/287/Zanger.jpg

Tutu of kickassing

http://files.daitrombe.net/attachments/45/485/1196987036316.jpg

nolispe
2010-07-21, 05:23 AM
Yes. Yes I would.
Life vs Not-being-laughed-at. Hmmm....

taltamir
2010-07-21, 05:35 AM
Guys, guys, here's what really happens!

-Thork the fighter hears of a mighty dragon terrorrizing the empire.
-Thork finds magic pink tutu +8 of kickassing.
-Thork decides humiliation is better than being eaten by a dragon so wears the tutu.
-Thork defeats dragon while wearing the pink tutu in front of the population.
-Bards start to make tales of the pink tutu hero.
-Pink tutus become a sign of manliness!
-Every wannabe hero shows up wearing pink tutus.

If you still have doubts then ask Sanzer Zonvolt, the sword that smites evil:

Normal
http://files.daitrombe.net/attachments/11/287/Zanger.jpg

Tutu of kickassing

http://files.daitrombe.net/attachments/45/485/1196987036316.jpg

I very much like where you are going with this... this would be an awesome new trend... and the pictures you provided are hilarious!

RE:Insanity
2010-07-21, 05:38 AM
I once had a character who had a CHA score of 23 (we chalked it up to naive boyish charm) and a constant want to do badass and heroic stuff. He wound up accidentally seducing nearly every female villain. Even one that was a dragon that preferred to stay in the form of a BUGBEAR. I still hate that DM.
Well, one time he was captured by some archmage and when the archmage got jealous of his wife's interest, he forced my poor, poor Sir Varren to wear a tutu and a diaper. Sir Varren used the diaper pin to pick the lock on the cage he was in, then proceeded to kill 13 orcs and an archmage.
With his bare hands.
In a tutu.
So yeah, Sir Varren would've worn it for the lulz and badassery of killing a man with a point twirl whatever to the face.

taltamir
2010-07-21, 05:41 AM
I once had a character who had a CHA score of 23 (we chalked it up to naive boyish charm) and a constant want to do badass and heroic stuff. He wound up accidentally seducing nearly every female villain. Even one that was a dragon that preferred to stay in the form of a BUGBEAR. I still hate that DM.
Well, one time he was captured by some archmage and when the archmage got jealous of his wife's interest, he forced my poor, poor Sir Varren to wear a tutu and a diaper. Sir Varren used the diaper pin to pick the lock on the cage he was in, then proceeded to kill 13 orcs and an archmage.
With his bare hands.
In a tutu.
So yeah, Sir Varren would've worn it for the lulz and badassery of killing a man with a point twirl whatever to the face.

did he then seduce the archmage's wife?

Pollen
2010-07-21, 05:48 AM
In game I'd wear it. Out game I'd have to beat up on the GM :smallmad: The alternative would be an endless stream of suspenders of extra striding, garters of pink delight . . . yeah, best to crush the idea before it grows legs :smallconfused:

Oslecamo
2010-07-21, 05:53 AM
I very much like where you are going with this... this would be an awesome new trend... and the pictures you provided are hilarious!

It's actualy a running joke from the game franchise Super Robot Wars.

Sanger Zonvolt is an extra-manly warrior as you can check out in the begginning of the next video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx5gXBl2Y5s

Then we have the two adorable lolis Latooni and Shine with their adorable robots who have the following special combo attack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpbIO9Q17lY

And then we have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz0nBQyWOsA&feature=related

If you're interested in more check out the LP in my sign, where I'm playing trough SRW Original Generation II and there's plenty of extra fan content scattered trough the posts!:smallsmile:

2010-07-21, 06:01 AM
it all depends on the character!
angsty necromancer who fancies herself a traditional supervillian "can i die it black? okay, fine, but it needs to be +INT"

any of my itemwhore characters: "what item slot? does it stack with-okay then."

spooky wizard/rogue: "no, but only because the fighter hates it and its just a spell away from being his size"

Killer Angel
2010-07-21, 06:16 AM
...or a toy croquet mallet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0031.html) that let you fly and tame dwagons? :smallsmile:

(this example falls definitely in the field "it depends on the campaign")

DracoDei
2010-07-21, 06:51 AM
I play ruthlessly pragmatic (Neutral Good BTW) individuals who would gladly change into almost anything half a mile outside town before setting off on their further travels if the travel itself was dangerous. For urban adventures, substitute the nearest possible place to the target location. They would modify it if it was an option, and shrug and do wear whatever anyway if it wasn't. They would calmly and politely place all the blame on the creator of said item if it came up, and would weigh the social costs against the other benefits... and then hedge their bets towards the other benefits, because really, social norms are often inefficient and thus fighting them to stand up for what works is a Good in and of itself.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-21, 06:55 AM
I think people are overlooking something: Just how big an increase is that bonus? Would you do it for a +1? For an extra use of Cure Light Wounds? For an extra round of enlarge person?
Dying is a much smaller risk when the difference is that small.

I think a more appropriate question would be "How far do you go for a +1?"

panaikhan
2010-07-21, 07:26 AM
Most of my characters are slightly the wrong side of 'sane and normal'.
I can't think of any of them who would turn away even a non-magical circumstance bonus just because of the ludicrous item that caused it.

A huge gold medallion on a rope chain, that gives a +1 bonus to Diplomacy if worn over an open shirt? Check.
A monstrous cigar that gives a +1 bonus to Bluff if you wiggle your eyebrows while puffing on it? Check.
A two-sided cloak (black outside, red inside) that gives a +1 bonus to intimidate if drawn up over the lower half of the face? Check.

I could go on...

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-21, 08:33 AM
i'm of two opinions on this. . .

1: pink tutu of +whatever awsomeness. . . . . okay i can work the tutu. . . just play the tutu up. throw in a giant bow, call myself a magical princess, have an arbitrary love of pandas and or penguins. . . i got this. . .

2. pink tutu of + whatever awsomeness but I am the dnd hulk, it's not very manly. . . however i dont think thats gonna be a problem. . . please someone have the GALL the tell the hulk he looks stupid. . .i DARE you.

yeah i'd wear it. . . i enjoy role play challenges,

In addition. . . MAGIC PANTS, the DANCING PANTS. . . magical pants that give you +10 to perform dance. (was actualy an item in a game I was in. we had a bard with a magic cod piece. . . he was an elf. . . we called him david bowie, though that was not his name)

arrowhen
2010-07-21, 08:33 AM
I think people are overlooking something: Just how big an increase is that bonus? Would you do it for a +1? For an extra use of Cure Light Wounds? For an extra round of enlarge person?

At 1st or 2nd level? Hell yeah!

WarKitty
2010-07-21, 08:42 AM
Does the tutu have space to let my pretty bat-wings out in the back?

arrowhen
2010-07-21, 09:43 AM
A tutu is like a skirt. Where exactly are those bat wings *located*?

RE:Insanity
2010-07-21, 01:51 PM
did he then seduce the archmage's wife?

Pfft! And her sister, too!

Tyndmyr
2010-07-21, 03:50 PM
Wait...is my character wearing the tutu, or am I?

I mean, either way, the answers yes, but if the latter, I need to go shopping. Not all of us happen to have tutu's in pink on hand.

Stompy
2010-07-21, 03:58 PM
would you, a manly man, a barbarian or fighter, who eats nails and craps bricks (or however that saying goes), walk around wearing a pink tutu if it gave a magical plus that you want? (or maybe a specific effect, like, say, haste?)...

Honestly, I would wear it for little to no abilities. My charisma sucks anyway (being a manly-man melee fighting type). I would rename myself "Skittles", and then punch/intimidate anyone who makes fun of me.

*orc voice* You make fun of Skittles?!

Roderick_BR
2010-07-21, 04:32 PM
Of course.

The wizard can cast Improved Invisibility on it, right?

The enemy spell caster with Purge Invisibility/Dispell/True Seeing is the first to die.

So does the wizard if he tries to dismiss my invisibility or tell anyone about it.

Maybe using some Diplomancer abilities to convince everyone else that it actually is another color, and they just think it is pink.

I could also just dye it something else. (actually true in NerverWinter Nights. Once I painted all the armor my character was wearing red)

Mr.Moron
2010-07-21, 04:36 PM
Am I allowed to wear it even if it doesn't provide magical bonuses?

tbarrie
2010-07-21, 05:00 PM
Am I allowed to wear it even if it doesn't provide magical bonuses?

Post a picture and we'll tell you.